• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Gaming for profit. Things that people have been doing since the days of EQ, selling items and gold on ebay, now sanctioned with tools provided by the game makers.

I know of people who used to make it their job, sometimes pulling in as much as 30k a year farming EQ items to sell.

Yeah it's been going on for a long time. That it's now actually a fully-ingrained aspect of the game and maintained by the developer isn't something I thought I'd ever see prior to Blizzard's announcement, and it's truly hilarious in practice, though expectedly so.

I knew this sort of thing was bound to happen; people tend to underestimate the number of people out there with ample cash to spend and little patience and/or time with which to grind stuff out. You combine the two and you get a variant on what has made the free-to-play model so successful.

Overall though I'd have to say this whole thing is pretty par for the course as far as the absurdities this gen has brought us.

sk3

Banned
I just cannot believe this. $200 bows. $60 helms. What the fuck? Stolen credit cards? Who the fuck would spend that much money on this stuff?

Thoraxes

Oh no please help me!!! Tried to update and baam :(

d3error.jpg

link http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/d3error.jpg/

Help :(

See

Delete that mpq file and then restart the launcher. Fixed.

MrDaravon

Prices on shit items seem to have already bottomed out. Listed an okay crossbow at $20 and a monk weapon at like $12, then listed a bunch of other things at like $2-4, mostly out of curiosity.

HenryHSH

Gaming for profit. Things that people have been doing since the days of EQ, selling items and gold on ebay, now sanctioned with tools provided by the game makers.

I know of people who used to make it their job, sometimes pulling in as much as 30k a year farming EQ items to sell.

Can you make a living doing this?

Not through blizzard. I said in the beta thread that they would throttle transactions to keep us from making big profits and that's what's happening right now. Anywhere between 3 to 5 days to process big transactions.

BigDug13

I need to get off work so I can try to make a couple bucks. If I could make $60 total to pay off the game, that would be worthwhile enough for me.

I just hope that being stationed in Japan doesn't F me out of being able to participate.

Ketch

I hate that the PvP is arena-type fare. WoW team laments arenas and wishes they didn't put them in, Diablo III team turns around and puts them into a game where they make even less fucking sense.

Shoulda ripped off Demon's Souls and went with world invasions. I keep saying this because it would have been awesome.

The demon souls idea sounds super cool.

I thought it would be cool to start both teams at opposite ends of normally populated dungeon, even breaking it up into brackets based on normal, nightmare, hell, and inferno.

Fight through the dungeon as normal, killing elites, looting chests, etc... and then somewhere half way BAM 4 lvl 60 player characters fight to the death.

Oh no please help me!!! Tried to update and baam :(

d3error.jpg

link http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/d3error.jpg/

Help :(

EDIT: FIXED IT, I deleted the file from the updates file and relaunched

there is a folder called "Updates" wherever your installation of Diablo 3 is, delete all the content of said folder and launch again, the game will attempt to download the update. it usually works on the first try you do this, if not, just do it again until it successfully download the update

Nafai1123

Banned
Not through blizzard. I said in the beta thread that they would throttle transactions to keep us from making big profits and that's what's happening right now. Anywhere between 3 to 5 days to process big transactions.

Can you start new auctions while they are processing?

The real sign will be once they implement PvP. Then you're going to run into people selling and buying in the RMAH to have a legit leg-up on the competition.

I didn't think I would have a problem with the RMAH until today. I'm turned off just by the aspect of people being able to buy their way to the top in PvP. That pisses me off. I know skill /builds will have a lot to do with winning as well. It is just the principle.

I'm happy I can make money off of the game and everything, I mean I use to buy stuff off of lewt.com for D2. So I guess I shouldn't be upset but for some reason I just don't like this AH right now. Maybe I am just bitter because I haven't played enough to be making money?

NZNova

A microcosm economy where Blizzard has complete control over the supply of items, eh? The De Beers cartel wishes they had this kind of license to print money.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Yup. I think this is only gonna be a big deal for the buyers. People hit buyouts because they want their shit, not to wait days for it. I expect Blizz to flag less and less for this. As a seller I couldn't care less if I have to wait a few days for the money to go into my Paypal. I already have to wait for it to transfer to the bank.

HenryHSH

Yes, but unless they changed it, you can only have up to $250 on your account at a time.

Then again, they separated Blizzard dollars and paypal, so you can probably sell as much as you want through paypal...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Can you make a living doing this?

When I first quit EQ in 2002, I cashed out for damn near $8,000. That was a lot of money to have as a 16 year old.

Miletius

Blizzard probably has plans to keep the economy vibrant. Introducing new reagents or rare items is something they plan to do to keep the game fresh and the AH full of new higher ticket items. Since they take a cut of every auction there is actually quite an incentive for them to keep the item hunt fresh. Hopefully that means new content too, or at least interesting new metagame tweaks.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Did they boost stats of drops in act 1 Inferno? Because I'm getting stats on drops I've never seen before. Like +190 on certain things. And it's been pretty common tonight. Or am I just getting really lucky?

NZNova

Since they take a cut of every auction there is actually quite an incentive for them to keep the item hunt fresh.

Of course. It's not just "quite an incentive", it's the core function of the game. The entire game exists to fuel the RMAH because that's the income stream. The only reason they didn't do something similar for Starcraft is because they make their money there off the tournaments (hence the removal of lan play to allow them to set up this model). With WoW, it's the monthly subscription. The entire thing is about monetization. Diablo 2 was a series of highs as you found awesome new items; Diablo 3 is a series of lows as you get pounded into the dirt by difficult mobs and have no recourse but to go to the Auction House to buy gear to get over the hump. It's a little disheartening that the whole thing is so damn transparent. You literally become a Blizzard employee, working away at their game for the hope of some money, pouring money into the system to get over the obstacles they set up in an economy they have complete control over, while they sit back and make money off your labor.

rCIZZLE

Looks like they fixed the auction cancelling exploit. Put up my wep for shits and giggles but now it's stuck up there until thursday.

Did they boost stats of drops in act 1 Inferno? Because I'm getting stats on drops I've never seen before. Like +190 on certain things. And it's been pretty common tonight. Or am I just getting really lucky?

Considering the RMAH just went up and they make a percentage. It wouldn't surprise me.

kagete

I was just thinking the same thing! Maybe they stealth patched the new loot tables in.

Vostro

I try to get the SMS protect, but one problem:

"Pre-paid mobile phones cannot be used for this service. Please enter a different mobile telephone number and try again."

Ugh...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You know, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I picked up a bunch of gear with +40 or higher to all resists, when in previous runs I almost never found anything with + all resists on it. Not only that, but I found a 1-hander with 550+ DPS and some decent stats. Previously, the highest damage 1-hander I had ever seen in Act 1 was around 300 DPS.

I did add increase my Magic Find % a little bit, but Magic Find doesn't affect the quality of the items, does it?

Ningo

Found a solution to my patching issue. Deleting the file and restarting didn't work.

But downloading the file from the below link did.

Seems to be an issue with the blizzard downloader.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5794049544

STEP 1 - Go here to download the file:

http://blizzard.vo.llnwd.net/o16/co...A/8370.direct/Updates/d3-0-9991-Win-final.MPQ

STEP 2 - When the "save as" download box pops up, save it in this folder, overwriting the old file of the same name:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo 3\Diablo III\Updates

STEP 3 - Launch Diablo and Presto.

RDreamer

And my Squirt's Necklace just sold for 20 bucks. Crazy. People were predicting gold to be worth like $5 per million, but that amulet wasn't anywhere near 4 million. It was worth probably 100k.

Miletius

Of course. It's not just "quite an incentive", it's the core function of the game. The entire game exists to fuel the RMAH because that's the income stream. The only reason they didn't do something similar for Starcraft is because they make their money there off the tournaments (hence the removal of lan play to allow them to set up this model). With WoW, it's the monthly subscription. The entire thing is about monetization. Diablo 2 was a series of highs as you found awesome new items; Diablo 3 is a series of lows as you get pounded into the dirt by difficult mobs and have no recourse but to go to the Auction House to buy gear to get over the hump. It's a little disheartening that the whole thing is so damn transparent. You literally become a Blizzard employee, working away at their game for the hope of some money, pouring money into the system to get over the obstacles they set up in an economy they have complete control over, while they sit back and make money off your labor.

The theoretical benefit is that the folks who participate actively in the economy are fueling game updates quicker though. Yes, Blizzard gets rich too, but that's pretty much a given either way, eh?

I agree that in a way it is quite an insidious system but it's also ingenious as well. I can't help but be in awe.

I try to get the SMS protect, but one problem:

"Pre-paid mobile phones cannot be used for this service. Please enter a different mobile telephone number and try again."

Ugh...

This is my problem as well. I don't really need a cell phone and the one I've had in the past was a cheap prepay. Not going to go get one just because I want to sell diablo items to buy more games lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom