• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You know, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I picked up a bunch of gear with +40 or higher to all resists, when in previous runs I almost never found anything with + all resists on it. Not only that, but I found a 1-hander with 550+ DPS and some decent stats. Previously, the highest damage 1-hander I had ever seen in Act 1 was around 300 DPS.

I did add increase my Magic Find % a little bit, but Magic Find doesn't affect the quality of the items, does it?
I believe mobs have a predetermined drop, but your magic find helps it go from white to blue, blue to yellow etc. I thought it was the level you're on that determines the actual stats. EG Act 1 can drop lvl 61 loot. But I've never seen these kinds of stats. What were the highest stats everyone's seen before? In the time I've been farming act 1, it's usually been around 130 at the high end, and around 50 max for resist stuff.

I was just thinking the same thing! Maybe they stealth patched the new loot tables in.

Maybe they did! I wouldn't be surprised because....

Considering the RMAH just went up and they make a percentage. It wouldn't surprise me.

If they did, I'm extremely happy. Maybe I can actually progress into act 2.

BigDug13

I believe mobs have a predetermined drop, but your magic find helps it go from white to blue, blue to yellow etc. I thought it was the level you're on that determines the actual stats. EG Act 1 can drop lvl 61 loot. But I've never seen these kinds of stats. What were the highest stats everyone's seen before? In the time I've been farming act 1, it's usually been around 130 at the high end, and around 50 max for resist stuff.

Maybe they did! I wouldn't be surprised because....

If they did, I'm extremely happy. Maybe I can actually progress into act 2.

They revealed the exact aggregate drop rates to us, so the info was already determined. How hard could it have been to plug all that into this patch.

mcrae

i wish i had had the time to level to 60 and farm to cash in on this item selling craze.

/back to act 2 nightmare

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Of course. It's not just "quite an incentive", it's the core function of the game. The entire game exists to fuel the RMAH because that's the income stream. The only reason they didn't do something similar for Starcraft is because they make their money there off the tournaments (hence the removal of lan play to allow them to set up this model). With WoW, it's the monthly subscription. The entire thing is about monetization. Diablo 2 was a series of highs as you found awesome new items; Diablo 3 is a series of lows as you get pounded into the dirt by difficult mobs and have no recourse but to go to the Auction House to buy gear to get over the hump. It's a little disheartening that the whole thing is so damn transparent. You literally become a Blizzard employee, working away at their game for the hope of some money, pouring money into the system to get over the obstacles they set up in an economy they have complete control over, while they sit back and make money off your labor.
I've only had time to play the game sporadically and just now got to Act 3 but after seeing all of this I don't think I'll be quite as neurotic about finishing the game at the highest difficulty like I was with Diablo 2. I'll get as far as I can solo using only in-game drops then MAYBE peek at the gold auction house when I get stuck. I'll be damned if I ever touch the RMAH.

Sothpaw

I've only had time to play the game sporadically and just now got to Act 3 but after seeing all of this I don't think I'll be quite as neurotic about finishing the game at the highest difficulty like I was with Diablo 2. I'll get as far as I can solo using only in-game drops then MAYBE peek at the gold auction house when I get stuck. I'll be damned if I ever touch the RMAH.

You will be able to complete Infer with just the gold AH no problem. They are nerfing inferno and buffing loot drops in the next patch.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
They revealed the exact aggregate drop rates to us, so the info was already determined. How hard could it have been to plug all that into this patch.

I have to imagine that all of it is determined server side, so it would be pretty easy. Maybe they're doing it because they nerfed goblin farming.

Edit: If it is in fact happening at all. That's why I asked if people were seeing the same thing as me :)

BigDug13

Touch it to sell at least. Even just $60 Blizzard bucks will allow you to buy the expansions.

If people are paying such ridiculous prices for stuff now, even if it settles down and you put Inferno yellows up for $1.50 each, you can make your $60 pretty quick and have free expansions.

Use those Blizzard Bucks for other items. If you start by selling and developing a pot of "cash", you really aren't paying anything for items and games, it's just a new in-game currency that can also be used to buy future Blizzard junk.

Were people actually expecting stuff not to sell on the RMAH? paying real money for diablo items has been immensely popular for years and that's on a game that isn't new hat. People are lazy, they will pay money to bypass grinding and totally miss the point of the diablo series just so they can be lazy. Not shocking or newsworthy and was to be expected now that its sanctioned and even more people will partake.

Like it or not the RMAH was a brilliant business decision by blizzard when it comes to the diablo series.

Vodh

I really, really hope the RMAH will be a success for Blizzard in the long run. Personally I think D3 is great, and I love when the games I like get frequent updates and ongoing support from the devs, and the only reason I think anyone could dislike the nearly certain influx of new stats/items that Blizzard is going to add to keep the RMAH going is when they would be more of a buyer than anything else, making items they bought with cash not so great anymore.

For sellers and for anyone who just wants to play the damn game it's great news. And who cares if some people will just buy good stuff? It's not really having an impact on your game so w/e - except maybe on PvP to a degree, but just imagine the satisfaction of beating theoretically better geared people just because you're better at the game.

And to keep people from quitting and keep the RMAH going Blizzard has every incentive to keep both gold and RM economies from spinning out of control, so I wouldn't worry too much about that either.

inky

Apparently Blizzard added a limit to the number of games a player can create within a certain amount of time:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5795159597#1

But I love farming damnit. Stop telling me how to have fun.

So now I can't even farm goblins for shitty gear that won't be enough for A3. Yeah, that is pretty annoying tbh, losing all the will to play by the minute.

Farming goblins is already shitty...

Indeed, no need to make it even more. I guess Blizz doesn't have enough money for new servers or something.

Svafnir

So now I can't even farm goblins for shitty gear that won't be enough for A3. Yeah, that is pretty annoying tbh, losing all the will to play by the minute.

1.0.3 is nerfing all of inferno, and the best way to farm has always been champion/elites. I found goblins to give a lot more random gear than clearing maps. I just ran act 1/2 over and over until I could do act 3, and eventually killed diablo.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fuck, my semi-prepaid phone can't do RMAH.

Anyway around this? I just want money to pay for SC II Expansions.

BigDug13

Fuck, my semi-prepaid phone can't do RMAH.

Anyway around this? I just want money to pay for SC II Expansions.

Would one of those sms applications work for something like this? I have an app on my phone called "text now" and it gives you a telephone number. It's the best way to sms with Americans while my iphone is through Softbank in Japan.

I'm sure there's something like this for PC as well?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ok, so Diablo 3 is downloading the RMAH update but then it stops, saying the file appears to be corrupt. I keep restarting the game and it gives me the same damn error message! What do I do? I'm running it on a 2011 13" Macbook Pro, btw.

Sarcasm

So what should I be doing with all these pages of JC and BS?

I been putting in stock pile....but I got an awful lot of them.

Ok, so Diablo 3 is downloading the RMAH update but then it stops, saying the file appears to be corrupt. I keep restarting the game and it gives me the same damn error message! What do I do? I'm running it on a 2011 13" Macbook Pro, btw.

Go into your D3 folder in updates remove or delete the patches.

Delete the update files in Program Files -> Diablo III -> Updates

usually does the trick.

BigDug13

So what should I be doing with all these pages of JC and BS?

I been putting in stock pile....but I got an awful lot of them.

Go into your D3 folder in updates remove or delete the patches.

I don't really get the smithing in this game. Once you have paid the money or farmed whatever you needed to have the ingredients listed and paid the extreme money to actually forge the item and hope for a good roll....is it really any better than the other methods to obtain gear in this game?

inky

1.0.3 is nerfing all of inferno

I know...

and the best way to farm has always been champion/elites. I found goblins to give a lot more random gear than clearing maps. I just ran act 1/2 over and over until I could do act 3, and eventually killed diablo.

I've ran Act I a million times and got maybe one worthwile item amongst all of them (for A2 and beyond, or for sale) and I can't farm Act II at the same rate I do goblins. Believe me, I've tried, counted and compared items. I hate goblins, I'm not doing them because they are so fun, but because it's faster and more efficient for me, except now it's not. I wasn't even getting good stuff anyway so whatever.

Edit: Looks like I complain too much. Just for the record, I don't feel as strongly as it may sound, I'm just annoyed at some stuff arounf this game in general. I'll live, don't worry about it =D

Were people actually expecting stuff not to sell on the RMAH? paying real money for diablo items has been immensely popular for years and that's on a game that isn't new hat. People are lazy, they will pay money to bypass grinding and totally miss the point of the diablo series just so they can be lazy. Not shocking or newsworthy and was to be expected now that its sanctioned and even more people will partake.

LOL....so sitting in a chair for hours on end clicking a mouse is not being lazy?

I don't really get the smithing in this game. Once you have paid the money or farmed whatever you needed to have the ingredients listed and paid the extreme money to actually forge the item and hope for a good roll....is it really any better than the other methods to obtain gear in this game?

The progression is all screwy...it's too expensive to be worth it for most (I still do it because I enjoy it). They're bringing the prices down in 1.0.3, at least for the leveling gear. That should make it a better 1-59 companion, not sure what the situation is at 60 but I assume the legendary crafted gear will get the same buffs the other legendaries are getting in 1.1.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Touch it to sell at least. Even just $60 Blizzard bucks will allow you to buy the expansions.

If people are paying such ridiculous prices for stuff now, even if it settles down and you put Inferno yellows up for $1.50 each, you can make your $60 pretty quick and have free expansions.

Use those Blizzard Bucks for other items. If you start by selling and developing a pot of "cash", you really aren't paying anything for items and games, it's just a new in-game currency that can also be used to buy future Blizzard junk.

Eh, perhaps. The whole thing puts a rotten taste in my mouth for some reason.

buhdeh

This whole thing just seems wrong to me

Hilarious to watch though

It's the last Blizzard game I will buy though, for sure.

I agree. I just don't think games should actively support things like this and I realize I'm probably in the minority but I don't think I'll purchase another Blozzard game again.

LOL....so sitting in a chair for hours on end clicking a mouse is not being lazy?

Not as lazy as sitting in a chair and hitting a button to buy great items, If the cap for the RMAH wasn't 250 bucks there would already be items sold for thousands of dollars alone like there was from d2.

Completely unsurprising and if people want to pay me a bunch of money for my virtual items i'm sure as hell not going to complain.

Food for thought: why are people against spending money on RMAH but not against paying hundreds of $ in subscription fees over years of paying an mmo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom