• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the basic math, but I don't think it works that way. Some skills aren't as straightforward with Lifesteal % as Life on Hit is. Remember there are abilities that inflict a % of weapon damage, some over time, some extra damage, some hit multiple targets. etc.

Life Steal scales better in certain instances though too doesnt it? Such as with AoE attacks. You can also build you character around slower attacks with high crit chance to allow for a more offensive build.

I'm interested in going this route with my monk come act III, but it seems like such an expensive proposition for me. Though ... Act III seems like that anyway I guess.

scy

The highest roll on a weapon is 4%, right. Then there is the Bloodthirst passive which is another 3%. Then there's the different life steal abilities, of which I guess the 20% rune for ignore pain is the most important (although that seems to be capped somewhat- or so I've heard- and it's only for those 5 seconds duration with a high cooldown). I think you can roll life steal on belts (idk about other equipment). So let's say you can get to about 30% life steal for all damage done, then the actual value is nerfed 80%. So how much damage realistically would you have to do in order to get about the same healing you get with around 1500 Life on Hit with about 2 APS? It's a serious question, but it has to be in the hundreds of thousands right? Plus at that point you are building less resists, and giving up defensive passives for massive strength and critical chance/dmg. Maybe a build which incorporates both LoH and Life Steal % but I haven't seen those.

I don't think people fail to realize it, I think it is even more cost prohibitive than the usual Life on Hit to have comparable or better effects, but I could be wrong.

What skill are we talking about? Whirlwind is 13% so you're getting 195 life back per hit. You need to hit for around ~3250 for 30% (6% effective) Life Steal to equalize it.

Life on Hit is good for single-target attacks but not much else. As you distance yourself from just using Frenzy to kill things (which already only yields 75% of your Life on Hit anyway), Life Steal becomes better and better. My Barb runs ~20k DPS and 5% Life Steal (1% effectively) and that's better sustain than if I was running 1000-ish Life on Hit for basically everything but Frenzy use.

Life on Hit is a good stat but it's not universally great. People just see "Life Steal is only 20% effective in Inferno?!" and then immediately assume that means it's worthless. That's completely not the case. If we want to get technical here, Life on Hit suffers worse penalties than Life Steal% for certain skills (Wizard's and their 2% Blizzard, 0% Hydra for instance).

goldensun

Did you snag all of that with MF gear on?
Nope! My MF gear is all trash stat-wise, so I'm just cruising along with my glass canon DH :) You get the first 5 stacks of NV fairly quickly, and after that it's around 25 more packs of elites/champions who all drop one guaranteed rare. It's a nice little run.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
What skill are we talking about? Whirlwind is 13% so you're getting 195 life back per hit. You need to hit for around ~3250 for 30% (6% effective) Life Steal to equalize it.

Life on Hit is good for single-target attacks but not much else. As you distance yourself from just using Frenzy to kill things (which already only yields 75% of your Life on Hit anyway), Life Steal becomes better and better. My Barb runs ~20k DPS and 5% Life Steal (1% effectively) and that's better sustain than if I was running 1000-ish Life on Hit for basically everything but Frenzy use.

Life on Hit is a good stat but it's not universally great. People just see "Life Steal is only 20% effective in Inferno?!" and then immediately assume that means it's worthless. That's completely not the case. If we want to get technical here, Life on Hit suffers worse penalties than Life Steal% for certain skills (Wizard's and their 2% Blizzard, 0% Hydra for instance).

Do you think at any point, LS is better for a monk than LOH? I've been wondering this, and it doesn't really feel like it would be the case until around 50k DPS and 9% life steal - but I haven't really crunched the numbers.

As it is right now, I have 800 LOH with 2.6% LS (or whatever that is at 60) - that's with 24k DPS buffed.

Had a feeling scy would turn up to set us all straight ;) My problem is that I have low dps and I do just use frenzy to kill things at the moment (and revenge but to be honest I'm already satisfied by the life I get back from using it) Need to find a more suitable setup for my barb now that I don't have to build so defensively. Then I think I'll start investing in life steal.

mileS

Does someone have a link? Only 55 at the moment and struggling with my WD. :(

Audίoboxer;39140616 said:
Can you post the build please? Thanks

I could be wrong with some of the runes but I'm pretty sure this is what he's running with
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acUdeZ!YWV!aaaYbb

Stacking INT and using the highest dps/slowest 2hander he can. Basically the dire bat 1-2shots things even in the first act of inferno. Then again he does have a 1347dps 2hand mace or something. Some people have said its not going to work in the later acts but if its destroying things this quickly in act 1 I'm sure with just a few tweaks it will work fine. Some people are scared to try new things I think.

inky

Life on Hit is good for single-target attacks but not much else.

Well, sure. But Frenzy is free, even Cleave which hits multiple targets with LoH, while Whirlwind is a very expensive skill, so you have to take into account resource management and even other stuff like mobility with your build (not yours yours, but ones build in general) and even how to use it (do you use tornadoes, or do you run through groups of mobs with Whirlwind, when you are facing a boss do you run around and is healing enough to offset the resists/block you would get with a lower DPS 1H+Shield combo, etc.)

I agree that LoH is useful for single target lockdown, my point was more about the cost/benefit relation of both stats, itemization, and the amount of DPS you need for each to get similar effectiveness and equipment/build survivability you get from each.
I haven't experimented much and I was mainly asking, not trying to pass my uninformed opinion as some truth. I appreciate the responses, and I guess I'll try some stuff out to see what works for me.

scy

Do you think at any point, LS is better for a monk than LOH? I've been wondering this, and it doesn't really feel like it would be the case until around 50k DPS and 9% life steal - but I haven't really crunched the numbers.

As it is right now, I have 800 LOH with 2.6% LS (or whatever that is at 60) - that's with 24k DPS buffed.

I think Monk will probably always be more Life on Hit oriented just because their design is a bit more focused on using their primary skills constantly (which all scale rather well with Life on Hit). I think they'll definitely be more of a case of needing enough DPS to just make Life Steal% return more period rather than due to skill multipliers.

So ... I'd say to just stick with Life on Hit until your Damage per hit is high enough that ~1% of it is more than your LoH :/

Had a feeling scy would turn up to set us all straight ;) My problem is that I have low dps and I do just use frenzy to kill things at the moment (and revenge but to be honest I'm already satisfied by the life I get back from using it) Need to find a more suitable setup for my barb now that I don't have to build so defensively. Then I think I'll start investing in life steal.

If nothing else, Belt is a nice place to get ~2-3% Life Steal once you have the STR/Resists/VIT you want for the slot. Plus, nobody cares about the stat! I got a ~850 DPS ~100 STR Axe (dat +10% Crit Passive) with 3% Life Steal for 200k.

Also, high Crit Chance + Whirlwind's 1% Max Life per Crit + Life Steal% = really good sustain. I do miss my Tornados though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I could be wrong with some of the runes but I'm pretty sure this is what he's running with

Stacking INT and using the highest dps/slowest 2hander he can. Basically the dire bat 1-2shots things even in the first act of inferno. Then again he does have a 1347dps 2hand mace or something. Some people have said its not going to work in the later acts but if its destroying things this quickly in act 1 I'm sure with just a few tweaks it will work fine. Some people are scared to try new things I think.

You can't tweak it to work in act II and I'll tell you why:

Act II has mobs that can 1 or 2 hit you from range. You cannot stand still to cast with a 2hander unless you want to die. Try 2hander VQ/Bats or VQ/Bears and you won't even make it out of the pass at the start of Act 2, the lacuni fireball lobbers will see to that.

Save your 2hander build for farming Act 1 and Whimsyshire(no ranged mobs in here except for any elites with mortar).

If you stack decent crit/crit damage you can do good damage with a 1hander + mojo and VQ Dire Bats into later acts without having to stand still very long.

The underlying issue is that WD has the slowest attack animations of any class in the game, which is just the opposite of what you'd want for a good kite build.

mileS

"The 4-piece bonus for the Natalya's Wrath set now grants +2 discipline regeneration per second, up from +0.42"

This is HUGE! I can see the prices of the decent roll Natalya's going up by quite a bit after this. Again this sounds like a change blizzard just randomly did without testing because when they see whats possible with this set bonus they will nerf the shit out of it or end up nerfing another random DH ability or discipline in general to make everyone suffer. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here but thats the way I see it. Huge buff for DH's with this.

Act II has mobs that can 1 or 2 hit you from range. You cannot stand still to cast with a 2hander unless you want to die. Try 2hander VQ/Bats or VQ/Bears and you won't even make it out of the pass at the start of Act 2, the lacuni fireball lobbers will see to that.

Save your 2hander build for farming Act 1 and Whimsyshire(no ranged mobs in here except for any elites with mortar).

If you stack decent crit/crit damage you can do good damage with a 1hander + mojo and VQ Dire Bats into later acts without having to stand still very long.

The underlying issue is that WD has the slowest attack animations of any class in the game, which is just the opposite of what you'd want for a good kite build.

Couple things. Where did I mention anything about VQ/Bats or VQ/Bears? It's not my build, its the one Kripp randomly picked while leveling and its doing great in inferno. Also.. have you seen the way Kripp plays? he doesn't sit in one place to cast. He's like always moving.

Hey guys, have my magic suit up to 220 or so and I'm pleased. Finally wondering one last thing, does magic drop etc go up for multiple players in game? I know difficulty increases in some fashion, but does loot increase like in Diablo II? I can't seem to confirm that, can anyone?

scy

Well, sure. But Frenzy is free, even Cleave which hits multiple targets with LoH, while Whirlwind is a very expensive skill, so you have to take into account resource management and even other stuff like mobility with your build (not yours yours, but ones build in general) and even how to use it (do you use tornadoes, or do you run through groups of mobs with Whirlwind, when you are facing a boss do you run around and is healing enough to offset the resists/block you would get with a lower DPS 1H+Shield combo, etc.)

And my returns for Frenzy are around ~200 Life per Hit, which is roughly what I'd expect from a 300 Life on Hit Gem socketed (225). You do get more Life on Hit than Life Steal% so it's a hard sell when you're talking about a 3% Weapon vs 600-900+ Life on Hit and a Socket. Also, for the record, Cleave scales down to 50% - 66.7% for all the rune options (...80% if you don't!) so that's worth keeping in mind as well.

Also, I actually hit 20k DPS with a Shield. Need the off-hand +Crit% for my build which uses Crit Chance to refresh Overpower to give me Revenge + Overpower for healing and Frenzy/Whirlwind for DPS Healing through Life Steal%.

I agree that LoH is useful for single target lockdown, my point was more about the cost/benefit relation of both stats, itemization, and the amount of DPS you need for each to get similar effectiveness and equipment/build survivability you get from each.
I haven't experimented much and I was mainly asking, not trying to pass my uninformed opinion as some truth. I appreciate the responses, and I guess I'll try some stuff out to see what works for me.

The DPS you need is a lot less than what people think, however :x That's my point really. Life on Hit is still valuable but if you start going into builds that utilize Fury spenders more-and-more, you'll start naturally shifting towards Life Steal% for your overall sustain. Life on Hit is still good for Rings/Amulets since Life Steal% can't even roll there.

For the tank heavier Barb builds that just spammed Frenzy and Revenge, Life Steal% wasn't that good since Life on Hit is itemized better. For builds shifting towards less survival skills and more damage options, Life Steal% starts getting better because Life on Hit starts returning less.

"The 4-piece bonus for the Natalya's Wrath set now grants +2 discipline regeneration per second, up from +0.42"

This is HUGE! I can see the prices of the decent roll Natalya's going up by quite a bit after this. Again this sounds like a change blizzard just randomly did without testing because when they see whats possible with this set bonus they will nerf the shit out of it or end up nerfing another random DH ability or discipline in general to make everyone suffer. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here but thats the way I see it. Huge buff for DH's with this.

Yeah, I did a double-take when I saw the bonus. Seriously? +200% Regen? Oh boy ...

ParityBit

Hi guys. I am about to ding 50 wqith my DH. Any suggestions for builds? I am trying to finish NM so I can move to hell. I am close to the end of act 3 of NM.

Number45

Thanks, actually not that different from mine. There's hope then, if I can get the gear!

Artanisix

The DPS you need is a lot less than what people think, however :x That's my point really. Life on Hit is still valuable but if you start going into builds that utilize Fury spenders more-and-more, you'll start naturally shifting towards Life Steal% for your overall sustain. Life on Hit is still good for Rings/Amulets since Life Steal% can't even roll there.

For the tank heavier Barb builds that just spammed Frenzy and Revenge, Life Steal% wasn't that good since Life on Hit is itemized better. For builds shifting towards less survival skills and more damage options, Life Steal% starts getting better because Life on Hit starts returning less.

Exactly. Especially with my dual-wield Barb that I'm planning, I'll be sitting at 10% Lifesteal, 50% crit chance, and 400%+ crit damage. Lifesteal is worlds better than life on hit at this point at 75k-100k dps.

Ketch

Finally some WD talk.

Who stands still? Move, stop and shoot. Move, stop and shoot. Being able to play coop in inferno really helps aswell... kite while doing as much damage as you can and then as soon as the mobs focus on someone else then you can start going all out on them. I've started focuses on physical resist along with all resists to get me through the kiting and past fast affix elites.

I think WD has got some really great movement cabaility that he doesn't get credit for because everyone just wants to use VQ and whatever spell... VQ is dumb, it's a gimmick, I wish people would stop trying to force it and start thinking out side that specific box.

I like the combo of grim harvest and extra globes from grasp.. I've thought about using grim harvest for the mana regen becuase it gives you that sudo soul harvest buff and it works when coop buddies pick up globes too... you can really use it to get effect.

Right now I'm using toad affinity, which is an awesome primary. does great damage can be used at medium range to carpet an area for great AOE or you can get up close and hit dudes with all 3 toads at the same time... and it's mana free which means you can spam them all day and it makes a great combo for that +20% damage +30% mana cost passive.

Mana consumption is my biggest problem right now, I've gone to alot of the mana return runes and i'm looking for +mana regen on items so I can open up my spec again.

i would love to keep talking about this... Does anyone else have some kind of incite into WD besides LOL VQ BEARS! Like what other stats besides primary and resist are you guys looking for? How was your transition from Act 1 to Act 2? Anyone see any difference with the newly patched +crit chance/damage for DoTs?

jersoc

Would someone be willing to make me a deal?

Gear my Wizard to Inferno Act 1 viability and I will give you all of my identifiable rare/legendary/set drops rated level i60-i63 that I farm in a 5 day period. I cannot guarantee the quality of the items, but I can guarantee that I will farm inferno Act 1 for at least 5 hours per day (I usually do more than that in Hell act three now).

I will hand over all items unidentified, so I will not know what the stat distribution is.

I will take a picture each day of my starting time played on my character and finish time played on my character so you know you are getting at least 25 hours worth of farm time.

I am running a Blizzard/Arcane Orb/Hydra build as far as where the important stats are concerned. I am currently 22k dps, 33k hp and shitty resists (160ish across the board).

Just throwing it out there if anyone is interested. I'm US server based.

I'm probably late to the party, but try ditching blizzard. pick up diamond skin with the rune that absorbs more dmg, get teleport with fracture, use the arcane hydra, get piericing on your orb. passive, illusionist, the arcane slow one and the AP regen +20. I destroy act 1 using this and with the enchantress only have 28.5k dps. you have good hp already.

if you run force weapon, you dont need it. diamond skin is great against reflect dmg because you can usually burn one down before it's up, then grab the org and repeat. piercing orb makes invuln minions laughably a cake walk, probably the easiest affix for me right now

oh the ah get a 200 int amulet, 100 int rings for your enchantress and a cheap 2h with 150 int if you can. grats you know have an extra 4k dps.

scy

Exactly. Especially with my dual-wield Barb that I'm planning, I'll be sitting at 10% Lifesteal, 50% crit chance, and 400%+ crit damage. Lifesteal is worlds better than life on hit at this point at 75k-100k dps.

I eagerly await some better gear so I can get dual Life Steal% and +Crit Damage Weapons for my Barb. Oh the numbers!

Going to be hard to go back to the melee Wizard build I was planning :(

Woo-Fu

Banned
You have to stand still while casting most WD spells. The slower your weapon the longer you're standing there. This is inarguable fact, lol. If you disagree you're disagreeing on what "standing still" means. ;) Try stutter stepping with 1 APS and then try it with 2 APS. I think you'll notice a difference. Try it with a 2handed weapon and then try it with a 1handed weapon, you'll notice a difference.

It is one of the main reasons darts+IAS was so popular, it left you standing still for the shortest period of time when attacking. It is the main reason that VQ/Bears stops at Act 1.

I don't play VQ bears either, haven't done so since the end of Act 1. :) I have dabbled in a crit VQ/Dire Bats build but I hate when the game becomes mostly about managing cooldowns. The best thing about the dire bats build is you don't need much/if any attack speed, indeed anything over 2.0 makes it almost impossible to maintain your mana level.

I worked in a casino for a few years, and I'm starting to feel what it's like for the people on the other side of the table. Chasing dat jackpot.

mileS

You have to stand still while casting most WD spells. The slower your weapon the longer you're standing there.

It is one of the main reasons darts+IAS was so popular, it left you standing still for the shortest period of time when attacking. It is the main reason that VQ/Bears stops at Act 1.

We aren't talking about sitting there to spam darts. You cast and move. Again, like i said.. It seems like some people are scared to try new things or look at them on "paper" and just assume it doesn't work.

If nothing else, Belt is a nice place to get ~2-3% Life Steal once you have the STR/Resists/VIT you want for the slot. Plus, nobody cares about the stat! I got a ~850 DPS ~100 STR Axe (dat +10% Crit Passive) with 3% Life Steal for 200k.

Also, high Crit Chance + Whirlwind's 1% Max Life per Crit + Life Steal% = really good sustain. I do miss my Tornados though.

Unfortunately I'm using an awesome belt that has 250 strength and 70 all resist so I'm finding it hard to find an equivalent replacement with lifesteal. Closest one I can find with comparable stats is 6 mil :/ Going to have to start looking for some good deals on weapons too. Anyway I do intend to move towards crit and lifesteal, just looks like it's going to take me a while.

Woo-Fu

Banned
We aren't talking about sitting there to spam darts. You cast and move. Again, like i said.. It seems like some people are scared to try new things or look at them on "paper" and just assume it doesn't work.

And when you cast you're standing still. Casting darts with high IAS leaves you standing still for the least amount of time. Simple fact. The tradeoff is that it is single target. Many of the slower spells will allow you to hit multiple targets. Whether or not those trade-offs are worth it is up to the player, the playstyle, and whether they're solo or in a group.

You need to stop putting words in my mouth. I'm not afraid to try new things, I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I have over 400 hours on Witch Doctor, using every skill active and passive available to the class.

You need to stop insulting people when somebody tells you the weaknesses of your current favorite build.

For the record, when I am solo I typically dart kite with lots of CC and locust swarm for large packs. If I'm in a group I switch to an AoE, DoT stack, buff build. I only use 2 hander when trying new builds, I prefer the increased stats/utility available with 1-hander+Mojo(particularly mana regen on both).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I've beaten Diablo on my Barbarian, I'm not sure if I'm going to have the motivation to continue farming for items with such awful drop rates for ilvl 62+ items (especially in Act III and IV). I really do think they nerfed enemies a bit too much in Inferno. My gear really isn't that amazing, but outside of a few insane affix combinations with rares, going through Act III and IV was really easy.

I think I may start up another class, or give Hardcore a try.

Ploid 3.0

Wow someone made a bid on my regen body armor. This will be the most gold I ever had at one time. /dance

fa465dfbf1a003eb2c0e315c412ec29a75fade08.jpg

Come on 20 hours! Time to shop for loot while I wait. Thinking about getting a better shield, no crit and crit dmg, no a good ring. Ahhhh!

Wow someone made a bid on my regen body armor. This will be the most gold I ever had at one time. /dance

Come on 20 hours! Time to shop for loot while I wait. Thinking about getting a better shield, no crit and crit dmg, no a good ring. Ahhhh!

Yeah, I'd love to have that armor at this stage in my character.

Ploid 3.0

I didn't even expect it to go up to 1mil. I did show it to gaf before putting it up. It was good for regen build for my melee wizard but the resist all seemed a bit low to me. I could always diamond skin + meteor if I needed some hp. Having over 1k life on hit + 1k+ regen was nice when kiting though. I no longer use abilities that are good for kiting so I'd eventually die if I have to kite that bad.

mileS

And when you cast you're standing still. Casting darts with high IAS leaves you standing still for the least amount of time. Simple fact. The tradeoff is that it is single target. Many of the slower spells will allow you to hit multiple targets. Whether or not those trade-offs are worth it is up to the player, the playstyle, and whether they're solo or in a group.

You need to stop putting words in my mouth. I'm not afraid to try new things, I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I have over 400 hours on Witch Doctor, using every skill active and passive available to the class.

You need to stop insulting people when somebody tells you the weaknesses of your current favorite build.

For the record, when I am solo I typically dart kite with lots of CC and locust swarm for large packs. If I'm in a group I switch to an AoE, DoT stack, buff build. I only use 2 hander when trying new builds, I prefer the increased stats/utility available with 1-hander+Mojo(particularly mana regen on both).

Thanks for your simple facts. You need to calm down. First of all, your two replies sounded like you didn't even read the posts. It's not my build, its kripp's. You're replying saying "i can tell you this doesn't work" That would be fine and all if you were talking about using the same skills as the build. You get stacks up, fire a dire bat, move, fire another bat move. Finish one off with darts when its safe. Nobody mentioned "VQ/Bats or VQ/Bears" But go ahead and keep talking down to me like I don't know what "standing still" is. You simply have to be on the move a lot and know when its safe to stop for a bat or two or anything else.

syllogism

Haha it's the low vit high regen build. I considered doing that after the inferno nerfs, but decided that it's too much effort. It's probably now viable to have 8000 hp in act 3, which is pretty nice when you regen 2000/s.

rCIZZLE

So... BarbGAF, what do you think is most important when looking for a weapon? I figure that's the best place to start when regearing my Barb. Only have around 5m for wep budget.

Eliciel

So... BarbGAF, what do you think is most important when looking for a weapon? I figure that's the best place to start when regearing my Barb. Only have around 5m for wep budget.

1) DPS

apart from that it's just a matter of taste..You can just go for more dmg/stats and have a slot where you add LoH. Or you just get a weapon with LoH without slot..

When you break it down it's all about DPS.

I'm probably late to the party, but try ditching blizzard. pick up diamond skin with the rune that absorbs more dmg, get teleport with fracture, use the arcane hydra, get piericing on your orb. passive, illusionist, the arcane slow one and the AP regen +20. I destroy act 1 using this and with the enchantress only have 28.5k dps. you have good hp already.

if you run force weapon, you dont need it. diamond skin is great against reflect dmg because you can usually burn one down before it's up, then grab the org and repeat. piercing orb makes invuln minions laughably a cake walk, probably the easiest affix for me right now

oh the ah get a 200 int amulet, 100 int rings for your enchantress and a cheap 2h with 150 int if you can. grats you know have an extra 4k dps.

Thanks...I'll give this a go and see how it works.

rCIZZLE

1) DPS

apart from that it's just a matter of taste..You can just go for more dmg/stats and have a slot where you add LoH. Or you just get a weapon with LoH without slot..

When you break it down it's all about DPS.

If you had the choice between a 950 blue and a ~775 with around 200 base loh what would you take? I figure by your answer the higher dps. I'm just not sure what loh I should be shooting for with a little above average gear.

cereknife.jpg

AFter it didn't sell on the RMAH (the euro AH doesn't seem to have a lot of selling on it)

Stuck it on the gold AH for 7.5m with a 21.5m buy out. 29 hours to go, it's up to 8.2m.

So im looking at the prices ppl have been selling theyre stuff on here and i think i've been doing it wrong. Say if I get a rare lvl 40 item and its worths about 500 +/- gold i've been auctioning it for twice as much and adding 50 gold for a buyout. I thought I was reaching a but looking at these prices you've all posted I should be selling for at 5 times as much

:(

If you had the choice between a 950 blue and a ~775 with around 200 base loh what would you take? I figure by your answer the higher dps. I'm just not sure what loh I should be shooting for with a little above average gear.
I personally wouldn't equip a weapon with less than 800~ LOH, but they can get pretty dear the higher the DPS goes. I'd say it's better to prioritise LOH over DPS if you're focusing on surviving the later acts, as long as the DPS is over 700.

Eliciel

It's about personal taste, but if both have a slot I would go with the 950 and put the 500 LoH Amethyst in. It's always good to have LoH, but you also need to get the enemies down. 950 vs 775 ? That is a lot of dps you are loosing there...which means you will be fighting longer which means there is more room for failures. It's not just about getting LoH it's the about the perfect balance of getting LoH, in other words managing your own defense/life and killing the enemy fast. However you should try getting more LoH through your other armor slots.

You can get pretty defensive through your skills and runes rather than your weapon alone. And again keep in mind there are a lot of other armor slots which can give you LoH as well.

So im looking at the prices ppl have been selling theyre stuff on here and i think i've been doing it wrong. Say if I get a rare lvl 40 item and its worths about 500 +/- gold i've been auctioning it for twice as much and adding 50 gold for a buyout. I thought I was reaching a but looking at these prices you've all posted I should be selling for at 5 times as much

:(

You're fine for selling shit as you level up that way. Leveling you aren't going to find anything that great, and sure you might be able to make some gold, but you aren't really screwing yourself.

200 loh isn't very much. Personally I'd want something with at least over 500 if you're sacrificing dps for it. Also if you're looking for loh it may be cheaper to get it from amulets/rings instead. You can also look at socketing in some life on hit but the best gems are really expensive.

edit: A good total loh to go for is 1000+. Cheapest way to get there is to stack all you can from multiple slots.

Finally figured out how magic find worked in multiple player games. Anyone on GAF want to join us for inferno champ runs (through festering etc crypts etc) all the way to butcher at some point? Looking for those with 200-235 unbuffed valor. PM me! Thanks. We do several a day if possible. Tank would be loved. DH and Wiz here.

Ploid 3.0

Finally figured out how magic find worked in multiple player games. Anyone on GAF want to join us for inferno champ runs (through festering etc crypts etc) all the way to butcher at some point? Looking for those with 200-235 unbuffed valor. PM me! Thanks. We do several a day if possible. Tank would be loved. DH and Wiz here.

So how does it work from what you've found?

Ashhong

What do u mean "how magic find works"?

rCIZZLE

200 loh isn't very much. Personally I'd want something with at least over 500 if you're sacrificing dps for it. Also if you're looking for loh it may be cheaper to get it from amulets/rings instead. You can also look at socketing in some life on hit but the best gems are really expensive.

edit: A good total loh to go for is 1000+. Cheapest way to get there is to stack all you can from multiple slots.

It's about personal taste, but if both have a slot I would go with the 950 and put the 500 LoH Amethyst in. It's always good to have LoH, but you also need to get the enemies down. 950 vs 775 ? That is a lot of dps you are loosing there...which means you will be fighting longer which means there is more room for failures. It's not just about getting LoH it's the about the perfect balance of getting LoH, in other words managing your own defense/life and killing the enemy fast. However you should try getting more LoH through your other armor slots.

You can get pretty defensive through your skills and runes rather than your weapon alone. And again keep in mind there are a lot of other armor slots which can give you LoH as well.

I personally wouldn't equip a weapon with less than 800~ LOH, but they can get pretty dear the higher the DPS goes. I'd say it's better to prioritise LOH over DPS if you're focusing on surviving the later acts, as long as the DPS is over 700.

I'm basically looking for a build that can kill somewhat efficiently without having to kite very often. Even if I sell off my DH, which I'm trying to do, I probably won't be able to go for very high block or a godly 1k 800loh wep since I'll only have around 40m max to work with. If I could efficiently farm A3 or even A1 then Ponies I'd be pretty happy.

Nope! My MF gear is all trash stat-wise, so I'm just cruising along with my glass canon DH :) You get the first 5 stacks of NV fairly quickly, and after that it's around 25 more packs of elites/champions who all drop one guaranteed rare. It's a nice little run.
I've actually been doing a similar version of that run since the patch. I deleted a few of the things in there just because the areas are fairly large and with only 2 champ packs it's actually more effective to finish the run and just start again.

For me:
Festering Woods (pretty much guaranteed you'll get 4 if not 5 stacks of NV here)
Cemetery of the Forsaken - Small area and easy to just fly through
Northern Highlands - I just go there because the Watch Tower that can spawn is super close to the waypoint so easy to find/clear
Halls of Agony all the way through to Butcher
Finish with checking for Dank/Dark cellar and if I feel like it, I'll finish on Whimsyshire(though that's not factored into the overall time as I find it's not worth it so much)

I'll have to check the exact run time, but I'd say it gets me to about 35 minutes or so with my DH and nets me so many yellows. Only bummer is I wish there was an identify all button at this point rather than having to identify each one before selling. I usually find at least an item or two that is at least going to fetch me a little on the AH.

The other thing I'd say that has really helped is using Ball Lightning because with all the ghosts and green bat things in Festering Woods it just melts them fast and the other thing is I use Shadow Power with Gloom for taking out Reflect Damage baddies. I just switch from using Ball Lightning to my Hungering Arrow and it keeps me full up on life while I use caltrops for crowd control as needed.

Jrmint

Hi guys. I am about to ding 50 wqith my DH. Any suggestions for builds? I am trying to finish NM so I can move to hell. I am close to the end of act 3 of NM.
Hungering Arrow with Devouring Shot
Elemental Arrow with Frost Arrow. This will be your best secondary now that Nether Tentacles is neutered.
Multishot with Full Broadside.

After that it gets interesting. I always run Caltrops. But you won't need Preparation and Smoke Screen until Hell. I used Spike Trap or Sentry for a long time just for fun, but it's really your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom