• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switftlame

Neo Member
because reliable constant damage is better its not like u should be dying to trash or having problems with it ss seems like a wasted slot

BigDug13

because reliable constant damage is better its not like u should be dying to trash or having problems with it ss seems like a wasted slot

I'm kind of interested in the math. If the alternative is to take a passive that gives you constant 15% or 20% bonus damage. But 5 seconds of SS gives you 15% more chance to crit. And depending on your crit damage amount from items, could outpace a straight 15% bonus damage over time. Especially if your initial 2 attacks in every fight is a guaranteed crit to everything in front of you. So the real question is what percent crit damage are we talking?

Edit- I can see the point about diminishing returns though. 5 seconds to gain 15% crit chance when you're sitting at 40% is a lower return than 5 seconds to gain 15% crit chance when you're sitting at 10%.

So I guess the question I have is exactly what percent crit damage and what percent crit chance from items do you need before SS loses effectiveness compared to other passives?

Switftlame

Neo Member
I'm kind of interested in the math. If the alternative is to take a passive that gives you constant 15% or 20% bonus damage. But 5 seconds of SS gives you 15% more chance to crit. And depending on your crit damage amount from items, could outpace a straight 15% bonus damage over time. Especially if your initial 2 attacks in every fight is a guaranteed crit to everything in front of you. So the real question is what percent crit damage are we talking?

15% bonus damage on your huge crits that u do almost 1 out of 2 hits already

Totakeke

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4507471812

Neki

Edit- I can see the point about diminishing returns though. 5 seconds to gain 15% crit chance when you're sitting at 40% is a lower return than 5 seconds to gain 15% crit chance when you're sitting at 10%.

So I guess the question I have is exactly what percent crit damage and what percent crit chance from items do you need before SS loses effectiveness compared to other passives?

Here's the thing though. If you're running at sub levels of 10% crit or lower, once a fight starts, SS loses all of it's damage. Every time you crit at 100% or lower, you're going to only get one crit every 5 seconds or so because your innate crit is so low, you're going to crit at a low % like 20%, and reset SS again, sending you down to 5%. While I agree that it's great for a beginning of a fight, once a fight drags on for more than 20 seconds, SS loses out to Steady Aim, and it loses out to Cull The Weak, because both of these passives are always doing damage. So basically you gain 100% increased damage on two hits-four hits depending on IAS and what right click you're using at the beginning of a fight, and occasionally gain 100% increased damage on one hit every 5-8 seconds. This doesn't discount the fact that regardless of running SS, you're still going to crit occasionally, which is overlapping with SS.

Neki

So, what's the conclusion?You see higher gain from SS when:
1) you use a slow weapon, e.g. a 2hand xbow
2) you don't have to spam aoe and continuous attacks
3) you do a lot of kiting and only able to attack once every few seconds
4) you have at least 200% crit damanage bonus excluding SS
5) you love the opening burst damange

Your initial crit hit chance offers diminishing returns. The lower your base crit chance is, the more you gain from SS.

On the contrary, pick CTK when
1) you use a high attack speed bow or 1hand xbow
2) you spam a lot of aoe and continous dps, e.g. with tanks
3) you have low crit damange bonus
4) you don't care about opening burst damage.

This is it. Any more feedback and comment is always welcome. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. I hope it helps.
I have a slow weapon, but I spam aoe attacks, I also kite a lot, but my attack intervals are only 2 seconds at most, and I have 220% crit damage but I don't care about opening burst. what is a man to do!

kpeezy

Banned
I run Sharpshooter, Steady Aim, and Archery. I haven't even started stacking crit chance because I feel like I crit so frequently (low attack speed xbow might be the reason?). I have I think 350% crit dmg (with SS) and I've never even considered running cull the weak. I don't use tactical advantage because it's unnecessary IMO. Once I got good enough, I lost no survivability getting rid of that passive.

Is there a 3rd party DPS meter? I searched for one right after release but no luck. I would like to track my DPS through a few runs or something and then compare.

edit: I guess running cull the weak or an alternative passive is nice if you have a high base crit chance because it actually will up the damage of your crit strikes. SS doesn't do this.

BigDug13

Ok, who's the cunt at blizzard who made wall spamming mobs go absolutely apeshit in this patch?

It is a bit ridiculous now. Was in a full group in the skinny paths in Leoric's Mansion and had at one point elite pack, wall, player with desecrated ground, wall, me with desecrated ground, wall, another player with desecrated ground, wall. Because it was so skinny, we were boxed into desecration death.

Basically wiped us out in a couple seconds.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, who's the cunt at blizzard who made wall spamming mobs go absolutely apeshit in this patch?

I think general ability use from champion and rare packs has gone up quite a bit since the patch. Mobs are constantly spamming stuff like Waller, Freeze, Mortar, etc. now.

Also, Blizzard really needs to fix the issue where you can get stuck inside of a wall. It's bullshit and is effectively a longer, more crippling Jailer when it happens.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm having a hard time generating the initial fury :( Any tips?

With the build I'm using, you have to rely on starting the fight with some fury due to the unforgiving passive, and using warcry to give you a boost when you need it. For builds that don't use unforgiving, you need to meet a mob, warcry, battle rage, overpower, then wait till you get hit a little bit so that you gain fury from taking damage - enough fury to be able to use sprint, and then gain more fury. It's a little tricky to get started, which is why I just went with the Unforgiving passive in place of a defensive passive.

Otherwise, you could probably just replace Overpower with Leap. See a mob, warcry, then leap at it, then you should have enough fury for a battle rage and then sprint.

LordCanti

Someone said to put up any junk rare ring for $3 and that it would sell. To test this, I picked one of my many junk rare rings and put it up for $3 with no max bid. Almost immediately it got a bid of $3.

...Did I make a mistake? :p

pwVVc.jpg

Wouldn't almost anyone be better off with any number of rings with a main stat + 6% IAS?

Fularu

Banned
The mobs also shield more, fear more, arcane orbs more, despite the fact they were supposed to do it less :(

A nightmare, horde, arcane molten will rape my barb within seconds if wotb is down

moop1167

Wow, why did I upgrade this stupid staff of herding to inferno again as a WD? Zombie bears get stuck on every piece of terrain and I just die. Such BS.

foladar

No drop rate fix in that patch either, but rather in 1.0.3b:

Due to the quick turnaround, we were unable to make any adjustments to item drop rates for Hell and Inferno difficulty in 1.0.3a, but we do have some changes planned for 1.0.3b (which isn't far out).
For clarity, we're currently looking to patch to 1.0.3b some time this week. That may change depending on testing needs, but it's definitely our goal to get the patch out sooner rather than later.

Thing that scares me is they're mentioning Hell and Inferno drop rates, wonder if they're going to adjust them down to "make up" and make act 3 look better.

Totakeke

Someone said to put up any junk rare ring for $3 and that it would sell. To test this, I picked one of my many junk rare rings and put it up for $3 with no max bid. Almost immediately it got a bid of $3.

...Did I make a mistake? :p

pwVVc.jpg

Wouldn't almost anyone be better off with any number of rings with a main stat + 6% IAS?

Yes you did make a mistake. But it also depends on how much you're valuing gold/money conversion at I guess. But more likely that you made a mistake. Max crit on a ring is 4.5% I believe.

LordCanti

They confirmed the loot drops were low last week.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5911501949#6

He says "we agree they're low" not "we agree they're bugged". I guess the conspiracy theories can remain.

Yes you did make a mistake. But it also depends on how much you're valuing gold/money conversion at I guess. But more likely that you made a mistake. Max crit on a ring is 4.5% I believe.

Well...hopefully the free market will do it's work, and more bids will come in, I guess. :p

foladar

He says "we agree they're low" not "we agree they're bugged". I guess the conspiracy theories can remain.

Seeing as they were lower than expected, one would assume they're "bugged" and they're also making a patch (1.0.2b) to adjust these drop rates, would also assume they're "bugged"

Pretty clear something happened to the act 3 drops, likely their shitty developers hit a wrong key, probably intentionally.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I wish they'd fix the mortar+waller bug.

For some reason the presence of their walls allows them to totally ignore the "minimum range" on mortars so that they can hit you when you're standing right next to them.

SO ANNOYING.

Totakeke

I wish they'd fix the mortar+waller bug.

For some reason the presence of their walls allows them to totally ignore the "minimum range" on mortars so that they can hit you when you're standing right next to them.

SO ANNOYING.

Annoying to melee, but it's pretty awesome for ranged. It's the same as various other structures in the game that block mortar.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't know about lot of his more specific suggestions... but he definitely got one thing right: The game needs a ladder system. The game is about leveling a dude and getting the loot... but if you're max level and have all the gear there's nothing to do... and it doesn't take long enough.

I definitely think there needs to be a ladder. Make it a hardcore, solo-only ladder. No auction house. Level-restrict players to quests in the same manner that they're currently level-restricted when joining public games. Give out ranking points for doing quests and killing elites and bosses. Then, rank people into different classes (diamond, plat, gold, etc) based on percentiles of ranking points within the same class (ie no advantage of getting into plat just because you play DH instead of Barb).

Give people a few months to progress and retry. Top score becomes their rank for the season. Such a restrictive setup also means that beating Act IV Inferno is nearly impossible, so the potential skill ceiling is very high.

For some reason I make all my money on ridiculous bow drops. Just got this one.

gxeE3.jpg

Put it up for a buyout of 30m. Other bows with similar dps and socket go for 20m, but with life steal, I figured this one was worth quite a bit more.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Found a Blue belt with 282 Strength, and the max is 300. Going to see if I can get $5 for it, if not I'll just list it for the 200k it should get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom