• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Agreed about the many cliches in the plot and characters. I was hoping for more holy shit moments like at the end of Diablo 2 when you find out that Baal is the one who's been speaking to Marius this whole time. I sorta got that vibe when it was revealed that the falling star wasn't a meteor, but actually Tyrael, but I was a little disappointed that the gravity of that plot point wasn't developed more.

On another note, was it ever shown why the demons of hell decided to wait 20 years before starting their invasion? Did I miss that part?

LordCanti

Yea I think I get it now.

So are these pants worth about 10 million or is that way too much? That seems about the rate on AH when I searched..but it sounds really high to me.

h0YgO.jpg

No way are those 10m pants. No resist, and not even max MF.

Ashhong

Yea I thought they were too high too. Maybe its the high dex, but when I search for it, 10mil is the lowest pants available with a buyout at least.

aznpxdd

Its crazy how inflated gears are now...

I'm pretty sure I picked up pants similar stats to that in the early stages for sub 100k...

LordCanti

I get the feeling that no one cares about MF every time I flip a Manajuma's Ritual Cutter (30-35% MF Witch Doctor Knife, highest MF weapon in the game I think) and only get $5-$10 for it.

The highest MF weapon in the game...is cheaper than the 3% crit ring I put up. What game is this? Lol. I guess no one cares because NV guarantees rares.

Yea I thought they were too high too. Maybe its the high dex, but when I search for it, 10mil is the lowest pants available with a buyout at least.

I saw a very similar pair for like 4m with no bids.

Why buy MF gear when you can buy the item(s) you want instead? Well, provided you can afford them, one way or the other.

No one pays gold for them either. That's why I can get them cheap enough to flip. Even that is drying up (I think mine is the only one with any bids at all right now in the RMAH. $5/$250 with like 40 minutes left lol).

You'd think people would be all over MF in hopes of getting items they can sell. Nope.

Rufus

The highest MF weapon in the game...is cheaper than the 3% crit ring I put up. What game is this? Lol.
Why buy MF gear when you can buy the item(s) you want instead? Well, provided you can afford them, one way or the other.

You'd think people would be all over MF in hopes of getting items they can sell. Nope.
That's my point. Why buy MF gear and grind when you can just wait and buy what you would be grinding for. Granted, you might have to grind for the Gold, or pay actual money, but it's a guaranteed return at least.

I get the feeling that no one cares about MF every time I flip a Manajuma's Ritual Cutter (30-35% MF Witch Doctor Knife, highest MF weapon in the game I think) and only get $5-$10 for it.

The highest MF weapon in the game...is cheaper than the 3% crit ring I put up. What game is this? Lol. I guess no one cares because NV guarantees rares.

I saw a very similar pair for like 4m with no bids.

No one pays gold for them either. That's why I can get them cheap enough to flip. Even that is drying up (I think mine is the only one with any bids at all right now in the RMAH. $5/$250 with like 40 minutes left lol).

Yea but on a shitty weapon that you have to swap in at the last minute and then die because you no longer have enough dps to kill shit?

MF is in very high demand (and even shorter supply) on gear that is already very good gear to begin with.

People are way more hesitant to gear swap now with the increased repair cost though

LordCanti

Yea but on a shitty weapon that you have to swap in at the last minute and then die because you no longer have enough dps to kill shit?

MF is in very high demand (and even shorter supply) on gear that is already very good gear to begin with.

People are way more hesitant to gear swap now with the increased repair cost though

They go up to the high 500's in DPS, with 100+ Int. They aren't the greatest DPS weapons, but they're not junk either. I'm tempted to roll a Witch Doctor just so I can get the 35% MF bump lol.

Pc on these gloves?

THYck.png

400-500k

Thoraxes

Well, i'm trying high buyouts with low bids on the RMAH to see if people dabble in bidding wars there, though I doubt it. I'm using a 1H 700 DPS, 900 LOH weapon to test it.

If it fails, i'll go to cheaper pricing for quick buying again.

They go up to the high 500's in DPS, with 100+ Int. They aren't the greatest DPS weapons, but they're not junk either. I'm tempted to roll a Witch Doctor just so I can get the 35% MF bump lol.

35% isnt really worth it when you can just use normal gear and kill 100% faster. Even just 35% faster kills is better than 35% mf if you think about it.

Not saying mf isnt good, but you need to put it in perspective. The point of MF is to increase your farming efficiency. If it decreases your farming efficiency, its a bad investment. If, otoh, it is on gear that you would already be using anyway, then it can be a great investment

Id post a pic of my pants but im not at my computer right now. They are a great example of how MF can turn a 5m item into a 15m item

Totakeke

Actually, if they changed MF to affect ilvl instead of the quality of the items, it'll solve a lot of the problems people have with the loot. Most people are going through pages of inventory and not getting a single useable/sellable rare and I'm sure that adds up to the frustration. AH is limited by the number of items you can sell and with a lot of lower ilvl crap/borderline loot, most of them will get vendored anyway.

So if they change MF to affect ilvl instead of quality of items, the quantity of magic and rares will go down but the actual usefulness of the items people will get will improve. It also makes sense to change the system compared to D2 because D2 didn't had an AH for everyone to trade freely and since everyone is pretty much dependant on the AH in D3 anyway, there's no real need to generate a large number of loot so you can actually roll an item you can use yourself instead buying one from the AH.

/theorycrafting

LordCanti

35% isnt really worth it when you can just use normal gear and kill 100% faster. Even just 35% faster kills is better than 35% mf if you think about it.

Not saying mf isnt good, but you need to put it in perspective. The point of MF is to increase your farming efficiency. If it decreases your farming efficiency, its a bad investment. If, otoh, it is on gear that you would already be using anyway, then it can be a great investment

Well, you get the mob to 5% or so, then you hit your hotkey and your MF gear magically appears on you for the finishing blow.

Are scripts allowed? I want to do that but I'm afraid of being banned.

Are they allowed? No. I got my script from that guy Krippi's youtube channel (that someone here linked me to). If he can stream himself using it all the time, I feel fairly safe using it.

LordCanti

What's the ideal glove? Substitute all res instead of that single rez? Add in Crit damage?

All Res, Crit Damage/Chance, IAS. Vit and Dex also go higher.

Go to the AH and sort by 190 dex, 60 vit, and 7 crit chance.

I'm bidding on a matched pair for my MF swap in gear on my Tank Doctor. Get that last bit of MF, just in case.

I suspect that about 5 minutes after my MF suit is "done" Blizzard will hotfix(hotnerf) MF in such a way as to render the entire suit worthless.

Why bid on a matched pair when you could buy mine for the low low cost of $5 (plus whatever additional bid they make you do since $5 is currently the bid). Only fifteen minutes left

Because you can get one for 200-300k, lol. Whoever made the $5 bid is dim.

Woo-Fu

Banned

I'm bidding on a matched pair for my MF swap in gear on my Tank Doctor. Get that last bit of MF, just in case.

I suspect that about 5 minutes after my MF suit is "done" Blizzard will hotfix(hotnerf) MF in such a way as to render the entire suit worthless.

I'm paying the gold price, not the $$$ price. :)

Well, you get the mob to 5% or so, then you hit your hotkey and your MF gear magically appears on you for the finishing blow.

Right, but for one thing, if you take that to extremes it will gimp your character so much you could very easily die without finishing that last 5%, and with repair costs that definitely is a deal breaker.

Second, i suspect utilities that do this are within the realm of what blizzard may consider bannable. Thats certainly not a given, but its definitely a risk.

Third, theyve already said they disagree philosophically with swapping MF gear for killing blows and will be looking at ways of disincentivizing without changing the effectiveness of the stat itself and people who are using it "legitimately"

Fourth, it takes up precious inentory space that means you have to make more frequent trips to town to salvage / sell, further reducing efficiency.

Fifth, you can use MF gear when killing trash packs and see substantially better drops this way, which you wont get from gear swapping unless you plan to do this for every single trash enemy you ever kill.

Sixth, the enemies you actually do bother to swap on (bosses, etc) have a large portion of their valuables guaranteed. So percentage wise you arent looking at a huge increase in rares over not using MF.

This is why using actual good gear will always be more effective, more efficient, and more expensive than poor man gear swaps.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Because in my experience it isn't worth it, especially with 1.03+.

With MF gear I die, and maybe I get a slight boost in rares.

Without MF gear I rape elites, soak arcane/poision/everything (in act 1). I can kill 3x as many, so in theory I would need 3x the MF to break even I guess.

I had 0 bonus MF yesterday in act 3 and got the best possible archon gloves possible. Massive INT, VIT, and All Resist.

Dahbomb

+1 on MF not being all that. It probably does make a difference overall but it's just much more comfortable farming with good gear. If it has some MF GREAT if not it doesn't matter much. Guaranteed rares on Elites and no magic find on chest/objects mean you are better off hunting down elites with your best gear.

Sarcasm

I really liked Diablo 2's story, I was really cherishing D3's story too, despite more than a few eye-rolling moments and stupid plot points/character development.

I wasn't saying its bad, but I didn't go in expecting like a FF/MA/BG/IW/Fallout story.

Cause of this I enjoyed it for the most part. D2 I enjoyed more but that is that.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Right, but for one thing, if you take that to extremes it will gimp your character so much you could very easily die without finishing that last 5%, and with repair costs that definitely is a deal breaker.

My MF suit doesn't leave me gimp, each piece has ~100 Int on it and a couple of them have IAS/Crit/Vit, etc, while having max or close to max MF. Worst case scenario, I die once, which will only incur repair costs for my MF suit, which would probably be in the realm of 500-1000 gold for 10%. Not a big deal. Try again.

Second, i suspect utilities that due this are within the realm of what blizzard may consider bannable. Thats certainly not a given, but its definitely a risk.
Doesn't appear to be. People have been using macros to gear swap from the first week and have been doing so on practically every stream out there, none of them have been banned for it.

Third, theyve already said they disagree philosophically with swapping MF gear for killing blows and will be looking at ways of disincentivizing without changing the effectiveness of the stat itself and people who are using it "legitimately"
They already did, by making it not work on chests/breakables. If you only use gear that Blizzard might not change in the future then you can't use any gear at all, can you? Most pieces of an MF gear suit can be had for ~200k. It isn't a large investment. You get a couple of good drops you wouldn't have otherwise in a few hours of play and you've already paid for it.

Fourth, it takes up precious inentory space that means you have to make more frwuent trips to town to salvage / sell, further reducing efficiency.
I can town portal from just about anywhere in the game. An extra 20 seconds now and then to dump rares into my stash isn't a problem.

Fifth, you can use MF gear when killing trash packs and see substantially better drops this way, which you wont get from gear swapping unless you plan to do this for every single trash enemy you ever kill.
Trash mobs aren't guaranteed drops. The only reason to kill trash mobs at this point in time is if you are wearing a full suit of Gold Find gear. Everybody else who knows what they're doing is just running from elite pack to elite pack, skipping all the trash---if they have a class/build capable of doing so.

Sixth, the enemies you actually do bother to swap on (bosses, etc) have a large portion of their valuables guaranteed. So percentage wise you arent looking at a huge increase in rares over not using MF.
Wrong, unless your idea of "large" is one drop out of 10-15. The simple fact that these bosses drop so many blues is one of the BEST reasons to have an MF suit in the first place. Why kill the boss and get 1 rare and 6 blues when you can kill him and get 4 rares and 4-6 blues?

This is why using actual good gear will always be more effective, more efficient, and more expensive than poor man gear swaps.

Undoubtedly having max magic find on your max dps/mitigation gear is the best option, if, IF

a) you can find the pieces in question, and more importantly
b) afford them

I can't find them regularly and when I can I don't see any reason to pay millions for them when my cheap MF suit is just a ctrl-R away.

In the meantime I'll keep my magic find suit in the bottom of my inventory, ready to swap in as needed and keep my eye open for replacement pieces with high MF for my main suit that don't cost a fortune.

RDreamer

I finally found an upgrade for my Monk's helm. I don't even care that I had to pay a good chunk of change for it. I was sick of looking. My current helm helm had 90 dex, 29 fit, 75 all resists and 750 armor. I could never find something with that all resist and dex (or a combo of that all resist and lightning resist and that dex) that also had a socket until now. Just picked something up with just a few less dex, 68 resist all, and a few less armor (I think 658 total), but it had 80 vit with it, and a socket! Now I can get some life in my helm and switch over some of my other sockets to dex gems rather than vit.

Monk helms look silly, though, so I had to go on the search for some vanishing dye to get rid of that crap.

BigDug13

Second, i suspect utilities that do this are within the realm of what blizzard may consider bannable. Thats certainly not a given, but its definitely a risk.

Fourth, it takes up precious inentory space that means you have to make more frequent trips to town to salvage / sell, further reducing efficiency.

This is a fundamental problem with this game IMO. If someone wants to run a script that changes out all their gear just to get better items on the killing blow of everything they fight, then whatever. But because this game now has the opportunity to make real money for farmers, it turns it into a constant fight where Blizzard has to continue to spend time stamping out all these exploits people are using to gear up for sales, sometimes ruining the experience for the people who weren't doing those things.

MrDaravon

Holy crap, I found this today and assumed it was crap, but I just took a look at the AH and I couldn't find any ring with Int over 100 (including Socketed) with similar crit chance/damage for under about 10 million. Threw the gem in there to get the Int over 100 (rings with about 65 int and no socket seemed to be round ~3 million). I'm not crazy or missing something am I?

V36BJ.png

If true debating if I should RMAH it or not. (Edit: hmm, looks like maaaybe around $25 on the RMAH, and that's assuming the ones up there are actually selling. Would probably take 8-10 million over $20)

Yea just make MF and GF not actually take effect for 2 minutes or so. Or only some of it takes effect right away and it goes up and up and after 5 minutes its what it should be at. That way you have to wear the stuff always to get the benefit.

That might work?

LukeSmith

Yea just make MF and GF not actually take effect for 2 minutes or so. Or only some of it takes effect right away and it goes up and up and after 5 minutes its what it should be at. That way you have to wear the stuff always to get the benefit.

That might work?

Hopefully they don't do something nutty like "swapping gear removes Neph Valor"

Woo-Fu

Banned
If you know the market value of an item you want to sell what percentage over value would you put the buyout at? The buyout being there just in case there was one or more potential buyers out there who would pay more to guarantee that they get the item?

Or instead do you put the starting price close to the value of the weapon and leave the auction without a buyout?

I've got a weapon that I could see somebody paying 35m gold for, do I put it up for

20m with 60m buyout, or
30m with no buyout, or

Some other option? Is there published research available on the net where people have figured out the optimal way to set auction prices?

RDreamer

Hah, weird anomaly of the market. Knives with around 700 dps or so with a socket are worth a pittance. Maybe 30k at most, depending on just how high. Now you throw an amethyst in there, even a shitty one and it skyrockets. I threw in a junk amethyst and it sold for 150k. Weird.

That might work?

They should just have MF and GF indicated by a little icon thingy at the bottom of your screen and when you switch any piece with that on it you get a cool down shown on screen for whichever one. Or if you want people to retain the ability to switch some gear here and there quickly without worrying about affecting that, have a threshold. If your switch affects your MF by 50% of its original value, then you get the cool down. If you switch out one item that doesn't affect it that much and just happens to have MF on it, then fine, no cool down.

Woo-Fu

Banned

That might work?

I'd kill all but one of each pack in an area in my DPS suit, then switch to my MF suit, kill trash mobs for 2 minutes, then go kill each member left over in the elite packs. It would be a pain in the ass, but not much harder for a witch doctor. It would be worth getting 2x-3x as many rares for the same run as without my MF suit.

What I'm trying to understand is why people care about other people using MF suits? They're going the extra mile to get better drops but since the complainers are too lazy to do so nobody should be able to do so? Seems rather pathetic to me.

RDreamer

I'd kill all but one of each pack in an area in my DPS suit, then switch to my MF suit, kill trash mobs for 2 minutes, then go kill each member left over in the elite packs. It would be a pain in the ass, but not much harder for a witch doctor. It would be worth getting 2x-3x as many rares for the same run as without my MF suit.

What I'm trying to understand is why people care about other people using MF suits? They're going the extra mile to get better drops but since the complainers are too lazy to do so nobody should be able to do so? Seems rather pathetic to me.

Technically, most of the people doing this aren't just "going the extra mile," they're cheating. Using hotkey things is cheating. It's not something in the game, and it's something the game creators absolutely don't want you to use. It's not that we're too lazy to, it's possibly because we don't want to cheat and possibly fear getting banned by Blizzard for doing so.

So I just got the DPS needed to take down Belial with my monk. Act III feels like act II did when I first started slowly progressing through it. Grays are fine and the elites slaughter me. The gear hurdle seems more intimidating though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is the problem I have with MF as a stat on gear. It just throws things way out of whack and compels players to do stupid things like swap out gear at the last minute because it would be detrimental not to do so. Like I laid out in my thread about the subject: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465944

I would prefer if MF potential was based more around player skill. You can kill more mobs, tougher mobs, in a faster period of time, without dying? Great. Here's an MF bonus because you're a badass.

Oh I dont actually care dont get me wrong, I was just trying to offer some constructive criticism or whatever.

I use GF and MF suits too but I haven't really tried the script thingy.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Technically, most of the people doing this aren't just "going the extra mile," they're cheating. Using hotkey things is cheating. It's not something in the game, and it's something the game creators absolutely don't want you to use. It's not that we're too lazy to, it's possibly because we don't want to cheat and possibly fear getting banned by Blizzard for doing so.

You don't have to use a macro or script to change your gear. Do you want to screw those people who don't?

In the scenario you replied to a script/macro wouldn't even save you much since you'd only be changing once for the entire area *and* be doing so from somewhere you could do so safely.

You have to be careful about what you do to counter what you think of as cheaters, you go too far and you're harming the non-cheaters as much or more than the cheaters. Blizzard has been doing a lot of this lately what with the breakables/chest nerfs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I'm messing around with a friend in Hell mode and landed a legendary finally..

I can't find anything on the AH like it.. what you think I should price it at??

You can search for legendaries by name.

Prowlers used to sell for a lot before the IAS nerf. I haven't bothered to check if they're still expensive now.

If you're referring to me, i dont give a hoot that you sre using an MF suit, but ultimately i recognize that what you're doing falls under a category that technically is a bannable offense, and a pointing out that you can probably be banned for it. You might think you SHOULDNT be banned for it, we migh both agree that it would be silly for you to be banned for it, but according to the rules, you can.

So if you can admit that there's a risk, and that you're ok with that risk, then by all means carry on, i dont think anyone here cares

MrDaravon

So I'm messing around with a friend in Hell mode and landed a legendary finally..

I can't find anything on the AH like it.. what you think I should price it at??

Lacuni Prowlers are super common, especially with the STR roll on them that you have there (pre IAS nerf they were one of the go tos for DH with a good Dex roll on them). I looked earlier today and there's a billion of them for under 200k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom