• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJS

Is it worth upgrading to inferno whimsyshire now?

Kill all the elites in Act 1 and then tackle whimsyshire for the best loot opportunity, compared to just running act 3?

Seth C

If you keep getting white iL63s that means your MF is too low.

It's as high as I can get it and still be able to kill enemies. Again, I am not someone farming for epic loot. I am just trying to find anything I can use from Act 3 of Hell so that I can progress in the game.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, to be honest. There's an X% Chance for an item to be an ilvl 63 one. It has an A% chance to be White, B% chance to be Magical, C% chance to be Rare, and D%* chance to be Legendary. I guess if you're JUST collecting the Rares over a sample of 1000 then, yes, it should be close to the listed drop percentages.

That's what I'm saying. I collected only rares and magic items, over 1000 in total. The percentage of each is very similar over a sample size that large, so I have no reason to believe the percentage of whites is any different. Fewer rares of each level of course, but a comparable percentage of the total.

I've not found a rare or legendary yet, so I honestly don't expect to (and don't care since I just want something to help me progress in the game).

maharg

idspispopd
CE was nerfed in 1.03 which was like a month after release, if I recall.

Wasn't there a thing in D2:LoD where the necro boss in Act5's CE damage was so high it'd kill you halfway across the level and they had to nerf it? They just nerfed his damage output that time, though, iirc.

Neki

Is it worth upgrading to inferno whimsyshire now?

Kill all the elites in Act 1 and then tackle whimsyshire for the best loot opportunity, compared to just running act 3?

I usually don't do pony land when I do Act 1 because I do Act 1 to be lazy, and I run a go fast build on my DH for act 1 runs. But you can totally do it.

scy

Actually I have no problem with them fixing IAS. It's indeed overpowered.

I feel like a broken record but they never fixed IAS. They just took the easiest path and use a simple SQL statement to gimp every piece of equipment. IAS is just still as powerful as it was before.

If they were really serious about not making IAS the most important stat, they should rework the combat engine to not use it for props and resource generation, but I guess that's too much work post release.

The problem wasn't necessarily that IAS% was too good, it's that you could get so much IAS% that it overshadowed everything else. Having IAS% work negatively with proc rates/resource generation would defeat their purpose for the most part. At that point, it should be procs per minute and static regen rather than percent chances and on-hit generation.

It's as high as I can get it and still be able to kill enemies. Again, I am not someone farming for epic loot. I am just trying to find anything I can use from Act 3 of Hell so that I can progress in the game.

Erm, you honestly shouldn't have trouble with the game up to Inferno. Even without the AH. Have you tried crafting a few slots?

Wasn't there a thing in D2:LoD where the necro boss in Act5's CE damage was so high it'd kill you halfway across the level and they had to nerf it? They just nerfed his damage output that time, though, iirc.

Yeah :x That took awhile though, didn't it? Corpse Explosion's original change was reducing the radius and made it no longer scale with Enemy HP with Players (e.g., it always used their base HP, not adjusted HP).

I think they also nerfed Revive in that same patch :|

Edit: I also think this was the patch that removed skipping Mephisto.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
CE was nerfed in 1.03 which was like a month after release, if I recall.

I'd have to check but I remember the first class rebalance patch was nerfs.

Yeah, the change to corpse explosion was a reduction of the radius increase per skill level or something like that. I can't really recall, though, when they changed it so that it didn't scale with mob HP increases due to the number of players increasing. I think necromancer's Revive and Paladin's conversion got nerfed too, since I had been using those builds as well.

Ashhong

How am I supposed to know the focus was the online economy? It certainly wasn't written on the box or on their webpage before I bought the game. Am I supposed to read every developer interview before I purchase the game? The only thing I expected differently from every other games I've played is that it's always online.

I consider it "nanny state" when they've made dozen of changes in less than 2 months, including gimping items that some people might have paid real money for and changing fundamental things like difficulty progression that they should've finalized before release. I didn't expect to pay $60 for a game that is pretty much still in beta stage.

If I was offered an option to refund the game within a week of purchase and I didn't, then yes, it's my own damn fault. Too bad I wasn't.

Doesn't Blizzard offer a 30 day money back guarantee on this game?

Seth C

Erm, you honestly shouldn't have trouble with the game up to Inferno. Even without the AH. Have you tried crafting a few slots?

Almost my entire equipment set is crafted. The helmet, armor, pants, weapons, boots, and shoulders. Only the rings, amulet, belt, and gloves were found as loot. I've probably spent 500k crafting, which is a lot when the items only cost 2k-3k each time. 160 hours with one character. I've been level 60 since Act 2 of Nightmare. I had to farm for experience so I could craft the level 59 items to progress.

scy

Yeah, the change to corpse explosion was a reduction of the radius increase per skill level or something like that. I can't really recall, though, when they changed it so that it didn't scale with mob HP increases due to the number of players increasing. I think necromancer's Revive and Paladin's conversion got nerfed too, since I had been using those builds as well.

1.03 was both CE nerfs, the +1/Level -> +0.5/Level and the removal of the HP scaling (which wasn't a listed change, I think). Paladin Conversion and Revive nerfs too as well as Whirlwind and Pierce.

Pretty much every popular build ... and then Conversion :x

Cipherr

Just cleared all of Act 3 from the first mission through the end of Azmodan. I ran into some tough packs for my Barb though. And I skipped two packs that spawned right on top of one another after being stunlocked for 15+ seconds through Ignore Pain and all from both packs stacking freeze orbs on me indefinitely.

I sort of had no choice there. I ran into another tough pack just before Azmodan that I died on 4 times before killing them. I beat Azmodan with 3 minutes left on my 5 stack. Lots of ilvl 63 and 61. No good rolls :/

Sigmaah

How much can these pants go for?

Y2x1J.jpg

Dahbomb

What is the difficulty level of Inferno Ponies? Like around Act 3 level or Act 4 level?

How much can these pants go for?
Not much because there are no resistances on there and no sockets.

Sigmaah what's your battle tag? We can do Act 1 runs together if you have good DPS. I can probably slip you some upgrades from my stash.

I think they should keep the rare amazing drops at the same rate but should up the minimum stat rolls a bit on a lot of items. So that way people can find stuff they can actually use to progress with in Inferno, but there will still be big ticket items.

You think they'll ever release a harder difficulty?

Sigmaah

Not much because there are no resistances on there and no sockets.

Sigmaah what's your battle tag? We can do Act 1 runs together if you have good DPS. I can probably slip you some upgrades from my stash.

ooo! I would love to play with you dude!

It's Sigma#1440

I can get my DPS to about 62K with sharpshooter, but then if I get hit once I die, don't know if you'd wanna still play if that happens. With my armor and resists build I can get around 25-30K and I wont die as much.

rCIZZLE

I think they should keep the rare amazing drops at the same rate but should up the minimum stat rolls a bit on a lot of items. So that way people can find stuff they can actually use to progress with in Inferno, but there will still be big ticket items.

You think they'll ever release a harder difficulty?

They build the game around the AH and if people choose not to use it they're accepting the extra challenge. The current drop rate is pretty bad for the future economy of the game. I see everybody super happy not realizing that everybody is getting ilvl63s twice as fast now, not just them.

This game could really use a higher difficulty since they dropped the ball with inferno by making ilvl63s stupid-common and nerfing the difficulty. A new level cap, difficulty, and items that are godly but rare is what this game needs to have an active community. That and pvp of course.

LordCanti

kDMvD.jpg

Would these be worth much, gold or RMAH?

I think non-main-stat Tal's Chest's aren't worth much. Check the AH.

They build the game around the AH and if people choose not to use it they're accepting the extra challenge. The current drop rate is pretty bad for the future economy of the game. I see everybody super happy not realizing that everybody is getting ilvl63s twice as fast now, not just them.

The economy for everything but the best rolls is going to be sunk very soon.

Edit: Rage...building.....

s176l.jpg

Dat Dex! Dat Discipline! Dat Hatred Regen!

....Dat DPS.

scy

This game could really use a higher difficulty since they dropped the ball with inferno by making ilvl63s stupid-common and nerfing the difficulty.

And people still complain about the difficulty :x Honestly, something harder will just get more people complaining about not having access to it. Maybe we'll eventually see some content that requires some really top-notch playing and best of the best ilvl 63 equipment but I doubt that would happen anytime soon.

So I guess just waiting on PvP for that kind of "what to do with all my uber gear?!" resolution. Maybe some form of non-level EXP grinding (basically any alternate advancement system, there's a ton of suggestions everywhere)? I just don't think a new difficulty will realistically work as it'll just cause more complaints when people can't make the progress they want to.

Dat Dex! Dat Discipline! Dat Hatred Regen!

....Dat DPS.

That was my first Set drop. I think it sold for some small amount of gold. :|

Thats what I mean the minimum rolls especially for DPS stuff is way too low! You can get a godly item which is just ruined because the DPS rolls are unrealistic.

Dahbomb

Weapons are itemized poorly. I don't even bother looking at the stats of a weapon if it's below 500. If I get a weapon that's like 1000+ (hasn't happened yet) then either I am equipping it on my character or it's going on the GAH/RMAH for a pretty penny regardless of the stats on it.

I really haven't seen a Legedary or Set weapon that is worth a shit.

rCIZZLE

Thats what I mean the minimum rolls especially for DPS stuff is way too low! You can get a godly item which is just ruined because the DPS rolls are unrealistic.

Good rolls are common enough that you can get a 900+ dps weapon for almost every class very cheaply. I think I salvaged a 880dps bow earlier since it was pretty much worthless. :\

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, we have a situation where there is a lot of importance on weapon damage since it is pretty much the only thing that influences your skill damage. Is this a good thing, or is weapon damage so overly important that it overshadows everything else?

In Diablo 2, skill points were an additional factor into your skill damage, allowing naked builds to be possible.

Which system is better, in your guys' opinion? Is the game too gear-dependent for its own good?

railGUN

Banned
So I just bought a new blue crossbow to see if it was better than my current rare one, which has DEX and CRIT... when I compare the blue to the rare, it says that I loose health and armor (and dps), but when I swap them, I don't loose any health... is the compare broken right now? It also says I should loose 10k DPS but I only loose 1k.

I bought a 1127 blue crossbow to replace a 965 rare with 163 dex and 43 crit, and I loose about 1k DPS, which I kind of figured I would.

Dahbomb

This game is extremely gear dependent, much more than D2. A lot of people don't like this and rightfully so. In D2 you can do reasonably well with bad gear if your character was a high level.. in D3 if you have a shit weapon and even have every other piece be godlike you aren't going to get anywhere because you will run into Enrage timers and other bull crap.

It really makes me wonder how they are going to handle PvP where the match is decided before the battle even begins based off of the gear.

Good rolls are common enough that you can get a 900+ dps weapon for almost every class very cheaply. I think I salvaged a 880dps bow earlier since it was pretty much worthless. :\

Yea I'm using one of those shitty 950 DPS blues with only like 80 dex on it. Those are really common and work but I'd like to see bad set or legendaries closer to that DPS (Inferno Minimum pretty much) So even if its a bad roll its like 600-700 and the bonuses it has over blues is like hmmm the player might have to think about the DPS hit.

Yea I'm using one of those shitty 950k DPS blues with only like 80 dex on it. Those are really common and work but I'd like to see bad set or legendaries closer to that DPS (Inferno Minimum pretty much) So even if its a bad roll its like 600-700 and the bonuses it has over blues is like hmmm the player might have to think about the DPS hit.

How am I supposed to know the focus was the online economy? It certainly wasn't written on the box or on their webpage before I bought the game. Am I supposed to read every developer interview before I purchase the game? The only thing I expected differently from every other games I've played is that it's always online.

I consider it "nanny state" when they've made dozen of changes in less than 2 months, including gimping items that some people might have paid real money for and changing fundamental things like difficulty progression that they should've finalized before release. I didn't expect to pay $60 for a game that is pretty much still in beta stage.

If I was offered an option to refund the game within a week of purchase and I didn't, then yes, it's my own damn fault. Too bad I wasn't.

Welcome to every Blizzard (and any other online as well) game ever.

The entire reason it's online is so that they can more easily update it and change things after launch.

I'm nto sure how many of the people talking about refunds are actually serious, but the entire notion of getting a refund on a game because you don't like it is one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever heard. And if any store is actually honoring such a thing, then they are equally stupid.

maharg

idspispopd
This game is extremely gear dependent, much more than D2. A lot of people don't like this and rightfully so. In D2 you can do reasonably well with bad gear if your character was a high level.. in D3 if you have a shit weapon and even have every other piece be godlike you aren't going to get anywhere because you will run into Enrage timers and other bull crap.

It really makes me wonder how they are going to handle PvP where the match is decided before the battle even begins based off of the gear.

They really just replaced the upper 39 levels and choosing stat point allocations with gear. It's kind of funny to me how all the things they said they were trying to avoid by level capping and eliminating stat choices are still pretty much exactly how they were in D2, other than turning restating into a money sink instead of a time sink.

DTKT

God, looking for a fresh 60 barb on the AH is a pain the ass. How am I supposed to find stuff with STR, VIT, ALL RES, 1 RES if I can only look for 3 attributes at a time. :|

I wrote about it all the time!

I took it on faith that a lot of the issues that I predicted would arise would not be so just because I only had access to a small part of act 1, up to level 13.

Pretty much. We did bitch about a lot of things though, at least some of which got changed for the better during the beta process. I'm still not a huge fan of the current skill UI. It's clunky compared to what they had before (though I didn't get the opportunity to play with the older one, so I can't say definitively), and I still think that changing runes from item drops (with extra progression there) to level unlocks is at least debatable (unfortunately, the public never had the opportunity to test the previous system to compare).

So, we have a situation where there is a lot of importance on weapon damage since it is pretty much the only thing that influences your skill damage. Is this a good thing, or is weapon damage so overly important that it overshadows everything else?

In Diablo 2, skill points were an additional factor into your skill damage, allowing naked builds to be possible.

Which system is better, in your guys' opinion? Is the game too gear-dependent for its own good?

I definitely think that weapons probably have a bigger impact than they should, but that may be intentional, seeing as it's a similar situation to WoW and other games where weapons are pretty much the most important slot (amulets and rings parallel trinkets as well in being very important and "costly" in the sense of being rare, and being very impactful.)

I don't mind weapons being the centerpiece (they should be as they're the most fun). However, weapon DPS certainly seems to be a problem with so much value from that single stat. Everybody depends on it almost completely and it's can pretty much be used as a singular measure of effectiveness.

(Clunky Explanation Below)

However, with affixes akin to those that were originally going to be higher rune levels (or other interesting effects), the issue could be alleviated at least somewhat. If you give someone a bonus Magic Missile split affix, but it has slightly lower overall DPS than a weapon without it, the one with the affix could still very much be viable. Magic Missile wouldn't be used all the time, but when you are using it, it might be better than simply having a higher DPS weapon as the weaker shots would hit more targets for greater overall damage. Various other scenarios where you make trade-offs like this could be interesting.

Totakeke

Now my DH and Monk are at the same stage where both of them can clear the game reasonably well, I still like my DH for farming. More deaths, need to be more twitchy, but also more efficient and can kill a wider range of affixes. Ranged elites cause much more trouble for DH, but Monks doesn't really have it easy either.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm still not a huge fan of the current skill UI. It's clunky compared to what they had before (though I didn't get the opportunity to play with the older one, so I can't say definitively)

It is clunkier. Before you had everything on one handy page. Now it takes many more clicks to do the same thing than under the old system.

I still think that changing runes from item drops (with extra progression there) to level unlocks is at least debatable (unfortunately, the public never had the opportunity to test the previous system to compare).
I still think that was a bad choice and that itemized runes is a superior option in areas of customization, itemization, diversity, and complexity. The negative issues that arose that the Blizzard devs talked about could have been easily fixed.

Anustart

My witch doctor is at the point where I don't know how it's possible for a wd to be comfortable in a3 & 4.

Certainly 2000 life per second isnt going to be enough when a hit takes 60% of my hp.

Trickster

Now my DH and Monk are at the same stage where both of them can clear the game reasonably well, I still like my DH for farming. More deaths, need to be more twitchy, but also more efficient and can kill a wider range of affixes. Ranged elites cause much more trouble for DH, but Monks doesn't really have it easy either.

I really disagree that monk dont have it easy.

Ive felt that monks looked pretty op since the video of the monk killing diablo inferno was released. But I didnt really realize how op they were until I saw kripparian level his monk to 60 last night, then spend maybe a million gold to fully gear his monk. And then go straight to act 3 inferno and owned shit.

Seeing him do that made me get my 53 monk to 60 and then spend around 1 million on the AH on gear. My monk is almost through act 2 inferno now, and its hilariously easy outside of a few packs.

BigDug13

Ive felt that monks looked pretty op since the video of the monk killing diablo inferno was released. But I didnt really realize how op they were until I saw kripparian level his monk to 60 last night, then spend maybe a million gold to fully gear his monk. And then go straight to act 3 inferno and owned shit.

Seeing him do that made me get my 53 monk to 60 and then spend around 1 million on the AH on gear. My monk is almost through act 2 inferno now, and its hilariously easy outside of a few packs.

Either I'm choosing the wrong items, the wrong build, or I just plain suck because I've spent over 1 mill on my monk and I'm not able to "own shit" with mine.

Hilariously easy? What am I doing wrong?

Totakeke

I didn't watch his stream, but clearing the game and farming elites is an entirely different matter. I saw Kripp switching around skills when faced with different obstacles which is what people should do to clear the game, but if you want to farm with 5NV, you can't do that.

Bliany

So i've been farming Act 1 and I'm trying to figure out if I am doing it efficiently as possible. I've been doing Festering Woods -> Cemetery -> Butcher -> Manor -> Watchtower. I sometimes have 5 stacks as early as when I'm done with the woods and am wondering if at that point I should skip ahead at all.

This has been working ok for me the last couple days. The drop rate increased help too. Anyone have any tips for farming Act 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom