• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrophis

Check your auctions closely, the scheduled maintenance ate a spear I had up for 1-3m. No item, no gold, no entry in auction log to show how it finished. It is just gone.

You are not the only one. I had some stuff go missing a couple of days ago. Most of it has come back though.

My buddy just told me he was selling an item on RMAH which had a £70 bid on it but its now disappeared. Blizz support say they have no record of him even owning the item...

inky

I had 3.21 attacks per second when IAS got nerfed.
My MF suit is 361 MF.

double-whammy!

If they break MF swapping due to lazy moaners I think I'll probably lose interest. I'm a min-maxer by nature and if all I can expect as a reward for my effort is a massive nerf each time I finally feel I'm "there" I just won't see much point in playing.

People who don't want to carry a second MF set on them, to hit a button before they last hit a champ pack are not lazy, they just recognize it is a bad gameplay mechanic that probably shouldn't be encouraged by the developers. At least Blizzard understands this, I am just not sure, like you said, they are not going to break it in the process. With that I agree.

syllogism

It's just +Attributes that have it and it's because there's a variety of affixes for them. For instance, +STR, +STR and VIT, and +STR, VIT, INT, and DEX are three separate affixes and you can roll all three on one item.
I'm not sure what you are saying here, but to be clear you can only roll one shared stat affix, meaning if you roll int/vit, you can't also roll int/dex. You can of course in addition to the secondary int/vit roll primary affixes int and vit (2 affixes).

It's just +Attributes that have it and it's because there's a variety of affixes for them. For instance, +STR, +STR and VIT, and +STR, VIT, INT, and DEX are three separate affixes and you can roll all three on one item.

There are some prefixes/suffixes with shared effects that can both be rolled, I believe. I'd have to double check that, however.

I was under the impression that, for example, things like all resist could be rolled twice on the same item. Thats why its so rare to see a 75+ AR (since both rolls need to be almost perfect) but far more common to see a 30-55ish roll. I seriously doubt it's a single roll with a non uniform distribution

jkanownik

Lemme get this straight:

There are two groups of people: MF people, and people jealous of MF people.

There are 4 groups of people:

1) People with little to no MF
2) People with a lot of MF on their main gear
3) People cheating the system by running scripts to hot swap gear
4) People legitimately swapping MF gear

#4 is such a pain in the ass to do I can't imagine that many people do it. #1, #2 & #4 all hate #3. #1 does not care about #2 and are a little bugged by #4, but not that much because if they were really bothered by it they would just do it.

syllogism

I was under the impression that, for example, things like all resist could be rolled twice on the same item. Thats why its so rare to see a 75+ AR (since both rolls need to be almost perfect) but far more common to see a 30-55ish roll. I seriously doubt it's a single roll with a non uniform distribution
There are multiple AR affix levels and what can be rolled depends on item ilvl. Only ilvl 63 armor can for instance roll 71-80 AR. ilvl 63 item isn't guaranteed to roll the highest affix level, but it is likely that the affix level is weighed towards towards it. Again, an item can not roll the same affix twice.

Because fostering swapping equipment isn't ideal? The goal is to get people to covet the stat as an actual stat rather than as a gear swap.

Also, +Health Orb range has some uses. Not that anyone does that Witch Doctor build.

I guess if you had Huge Orb stats it could help i have seen some gear with 10k+ health per orb so... it could have its uses.

scosher

There are 4 groups of people:

1) People with little to no MF
2) People with a lot of MF on their main gear
3) People cheating the system by running scripts to hot swap gear
4) People legitimately swapping MF gear

#4 is such a pain in the ass to do I can't imagine that many people do it. #1, #2 & #4 all hate #3. #1 does not care about #2 and are a little bugged by #4, but not that much because if they were really bothered by it they would just do it.

Pretty much. I fall in #4, but find it incredibly annoying to swap gear before kills, but do it anyway cause it increases rare drop rate quite a bit. It's not just a 3% increase as someone earlier posted. It's closer to a 30% increase for treasure goblins (and likely elite packs as well), as this analysis points out.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/579...ind-and-its-efficiency-a-statistical-insight/

scy

I'm not sure what you are saying here, but to be clear you can only roll one shared stat affix, meaning if you roll int/vit, you can't also roll int/dex. You can of course in addition to the secondary int/vit roll primary affixes int and vit (2 affixes).

There's three sets of them: The single attribute affixes, the double attribute affixes, and the all attribute affix. You can get one of each category.

I guess if you had Huge Orb stats it could help i have seen some gear with 10k+ health per orb so... it could have its uses.

There is a Monk running that but, honestly, he'd do better with a 3% Life Steal weapon and some Life Regen on his equipment.

syllogism

There's three sets of them: The single attribute affixes, the double attribute affixes, and the all attribute affix. You can get one of each category.

There is a Monk running that but, honestly, he'd do better with a 3% Life Steal weapon and some Life Regen on his equipment.
There is no "all attribute" (three) affix

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'd love to see what gear gets you 150 more MF than my base MF set...

Oops, that was with a 5 stack of NV.

Without NV and with my enchantress I'm at 311. With a 5-stack I would then be at 386.

People who don't want to carry a second MF set on them, to hit a button before they last hit a champ pack are not lazy, they just recognize it is a bad gameplay mechanic that probably shouldn't be encouraged by the developers. At least Blizzard understands this, I am just not sure, like you said, they are not going to break it in the process. With that I agree.

Nah, I think they're lazy moaners. There are plenty of other bad gameplay mechanics that are encouraged by the developers but I don't see near as much crying about those. Bad gameplay mechanics that could be fixed without adversely affecting other players, I might add.

They're not crying about the mechanic, they're crying because other people are going the extra mile and getting rewarded for it while they can't be bothered. If they cry long enough and get it nerfed they won't be stuck with this nagging feeling that they're missing out on something.

balddemon

Banned
Oops, that was with a 5 stack of NV.

Without NV and with my enchantress I'm at 311. With a 5-stack I would then be at 386.

i dont know if i'm doing this right, but the max you can have on equipment according to d3rmt is 256%, with a templar with max amulet, rings, and shield MF which gives 20% of the total, you'd be at 276%. how do you get 311??

syllogism

i dont know if i'm doing this right, but the max you can have on equipment according to d3rmt is 256%, with a templar with max amulet, rings, and shield MF which gives 20% of the total, you'd be at 276%. how do you get 311??
His site seems to count only one ring and doesnt account for legendaries (weapon with mf)

scy

There is no "all attribute" (three) affix

I'm fairly certain that's not the case but maybe it's a Legendary only deal. Or my memory is playing tricks on me.

They're not crying about the mechanic, they're crying because other people are going the extra mile and getting rewarded for it while they can't be bothered. If they cry long enough and get it nerfed they won't be stuck with this nagging feeling that they're missing out on something.

Well, I wouldn't put it so spitefully but, yes, I'm lazy and hate having to swap my gear.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Manajuma's Ritual Cutter.

Come on, there had to be at least one upside to playing Witch Doctor!

The sad part is that my DPS as a tank doctor is so low to begin with that I don't lose very much switching to int+MF blues. I do lose all of my survivability, though.

syllogism

Sure, and there are also a bunch of affix levels that are in code but aren't actually valid for item generation, mostly due to being ilvl 70

inky

And then gear swappers are nagging and crying because other people are going the extra mile and actually including MF in their main set and getting rewarded, instead of running a script that makes the change trivial and just last hitting with it, but a change will make this impossible, right?

RDreamer

Nah, I think they're lazy moaners. There are plenty of other bad gameplay mechanics that are encouraged by the developers but I don't see near as much crying about those.

To me it sounds like you're more of a lazy moaner. It's a bad gameplay mechanic no matter how you slice it. You're supposed to balance stats of items and try and figure out what you can give up here or there. MF is supposed to be a trade off between another stat and it. There aren't as many tradeoffs by just hitting a button and swapping your gear at the last second. It's gaming the system, and right now it's explicitly cheating (unless you're manually hitting all your equipment).

To me it's lazy just to swap stuff. You're not going through the actual work and gold of finding equipment that has natural MF. You're not making the tough decisions between giving up some of that vit or dex or whatever and having some MF on the equipment. I don't feel like I'm missing out on something, I feel like I'm doing the game the way its meant to be, and really feeling a trade off in my equipment and you're... well right now you're cheating at worst and cheesing the game at best. In reality I feel like I'm going the extra mile for my MF and you just can't be bothered.

panty

Act 3 is ruining the game for me completely. I'm starting to hate this fucking pos.

With the ridiculous repair fees I'm now -100k on gold after a few hours.

ibi4YnhqA16bu7.png

EVERY PACK is either arcane, molten or vortex or like today, all those fuckers together. The fire damage is also a big pile of shit.

My gear

http://i.minus.com/iknboxGOZ1rIw.png

and build pretty much

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aiXYgh!ZXU!ZcbcYa

LukeSmith

I just sort of thought as MF as a risk/reward stat where you equip more to make yourself less effective (in the beginning) in the combat axis, and more effective (theoretically) in the gear acquisition axis. Where the natural "best" gear for farming would eventually be gear that preserves key components of your build (dps/survivability) while maximizing your MF.

balddemon

Banned
Act 3 is ruining the game for me completely. I'm starting to hate this fucking pos.

ibi4YnhqA16bu7.png

EVERY PACK is either arcane, molten or vortex or like today, all those fuckers together.

My gear

and build pretty much

i don't think you have enough crit chance to make to that sweeping win rune useful. but my monk is only lv 52 so i don't know

theta11

iZuF1YkCeYljR.png

EVERY PACK is either arcane, molten or vortex or like today, all those fuckers together.

My gear

and build pretty much

I find it interesting most monks stack resistances so high when there are more ways to buff armor. o_O

D3rmt table also doesnt factor in MF from helmet socket or weapon (Sun Keeper, MRC, and one other)

Cipherr

To me it sounds like you're more of a lazy moaner. It's a bad gameplay mechanic no matter how you slice it. You're supposed to balance stats of items and try and figure out what you can give up here or there. MF is supposed to be a trade off between another stat and it. There aren't as many tradeoffs by just hitting a button and swapping your gear at the last second. It's gaming the system, and right now it's explicitly cheating (unless you're manually hitting all your equipment).

To me it's lazy just to swap stuff. You're not going through the actual work and gold of finding equipment that has natural MF. You're not making the tough decisions between giving up some of that vit or dex or whatever and having some MF on the equipment. I don't feel like I'm missing out on something, I feel like I'm doing the game the way its meant to be, and really feeling a trade off in my equipment and you're... well right now you're cheating at worst and cheesing the game at best. In reality I feel like I'm going the extra mile for my MF and you just can't be bothered.

Amen.

ibi4YnhqA16bu7.png

EVERY PACK is either arcane, molten or vortex or like today, all those fuckers together. The fire damage is also a big pile of shit.

My gear

and build pretty much

Man that is some... pretty damn bad luck there. Those guys hit hard. One of the hardest hitting in the game IIRC, top 10 or so. To get a large swath of them like that, right on top of the doorway/zone in with Arcane enchanted on minions is just really rough.

panty

i don't think you have enough crit chance to make to that sweeping win rune useful. but my monk is only lv 52 so i don't know

Well I swap between that and blade storm.
I find it interesting most monks stack resistances so high when there are more ways to buff armor. o_O

How, how much, etc.
Amen.

Man that is some... pretty damn bad luck there. Those guys hit hard. One of the hardest hitting in the game IIRC, top 10 or so. To get a large swath of them like that, right on top of the doorway/zone in with Arcane enchanted on minions is just really rough.

We actually had to quit because the yellow bastard had jailer iirc so we had no chance.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Well, I wouldn't put it so spitefully but, yes, I'm lazy and hate having to swap my gear.
I don't enjoy it either but I'm not going out of my way to get it nerfed just because of that.

I hate manually identifying rares but you don't see me posting 3 page diatribes on the General forum trying to get it changed, regardless of the fact that some people actually do enjoy identifying items. (I'm not saying you're doing this, I'm saying there are people doing this to get MF nerfed into the ground).

I've gone to the effort wherever possible to work with/work around game mechanics I don't like. I find it annoying when people want to come along and invalidate all of that work because they can't be bothered to do it too.

It isn't like we've got a Fairy Godmother running the show at Blizzard. The most common adjustment they seem to know how to make is to either nerf it into the ground (IAS), or remove it completely (good loot from chests, good gold drops from breakables). I'm not confident that they will come up with a "fix" that doesn't directly hurt my character and/or make gear that I've purchased worthless.

rCIZZLE

And then gear swappers are nagging and crying because other people are going the extra mile and actually including MF in their main set and getting rewarded, instead of running a script that makes the change trivial and just last hitting with it, but a change will make this impossible, right?

The gear swappers aren't crying for change. They like how it is. Not everybody who swaps runs a script either... it takes like 5 seconds to swap gear.

Perhaps Blizzard should actually target script users instead of doing the same lazy nerf everything like they did with destructible objects and chests.

Cipherr

I don't enjoy it either but I'm not going out of my way to get it nerfed just because of that.

I hate manually identifying rares but you don't see me posting 3 page diatribes on the General forum trying to get it changed, regardless of the fact that some people actually do enjoy identifying items. (I'm not saying you're doing this, I'm saying there are people doing this to get MF nerfed into the ground).

I've gone to the effort wherever possible to work with/work around game mechanics I don't like. I find it annoying when people want to come along and invalidate all of that work because they can't be bothered to do it too.

It isn't like we've got a Fairy Godmother running the show at Blizzard. The most common adjustment they seem to know how to make is to either nerf it into the ground (IAS), or remove it completely (good loot from chests, good gold drops from breakables). I'm not confident that they will come up with a "fix" that doesn't directly hurt my character and/or make gear that I've purchased worthless.

I think you might need to ease back off of the blaming of the player base. Its still Blizzards call. There's a ton of shit people on the boards protest daily, like the new repair bills but Blizzard decided when they are going to take action and when they aren't. The system as it exists is shitty IMO, but my opinion isn't forcing their hand, they agree with me, so its getting eviscerated.

/shrug. I mean, if your main problem with this whole thing is that people on forums whine, man.... its going to be rough...

scy

I miss Cain identifying everything. I think half my time in farming runs is IDing items.

I love to min/max and go the extra mile whenever possible but, at the end of the day, this is just tedious and annoying to do constantly. Hence why I have no qualms calling myself "lazy" for not wanting to do it all the time.

inky

The gear swappers aren't crying for change. They like how it is. Not everybody who swaps runs a script either... it takes like 5 seconds to swap gear.

Perhaps Blizzard should actually target script users instead of doing the same lazy nerf everything like they did with destructible objects and chests.

I know they don't want a change, but they are crying because there will be one, that's my whole point. I don't disagree that Blizzard might take the easy road and nerf the thing, which is the whole reason I don't trust any of the changes tbh, but that doesn't mean it isn't a bad mechanic that imo shouldn't be in the game. It's a stat trade-off and that is how it should work. I am all for that.

I miss Cain identifying everything. I think half my time in farming runs is IDing items.

Just fill the stash and do it when you are done. :p (unless you're a pack rat, which I'm sure most people are)

RivalCore

Did a quick Siege Breaker run and killed maaaaaybe 15 elite packs without too much trouble this evening. Only 3 deaths, two lag related, one because of a swift skull Horde/Molten/Arcane/Waller that I skipped. Going to do a Ghom run later because I haven't tried him post-enrage-timer

Stats below;

I know some people feel the need for super high resists and armour, but I feel like I'm doing fine. Or maybe I'm not doing fine?

RDreamer

They were at ~800 but I had to get some crit/crit damage so yeah.. fml.

Have you been watching that metal monk guy or something? lol

Honestly, I know you probably want to do more damage and be a bit heavier hitting, but I'd wait on it. Personally I geared for defense and kept going until I could survive well into Act 4 inferno. Now I'm turning back bit by bit while *KEY POINT* not losing any of that survivability. You can still kill things with lower dps. If you switch to higher dps, though, you'll just die and you'll be less use to your group (and the mobs will possibly regenerate if you die during solo play). Survivability is key to progression. Hit that benchmark then flip things little by little when you're sure you haven't lost.

For example, I switched my weapon to something with a lot more dex, but I was losing a bit more life on hit. I'm not going to sell my old weapon until I'm sure I can survive with that weapon and it didn't take away any of my survivability.

And as for resists, mine are mid 900s and Act 3 stuff still hurts quite a bit. I don't think you can get away with sub 800 at all.

I know some people feel the need for super high resists and armour, but I feel like I'm doing fine. Or maybe I'm not doing fine?

You might be, but you also have 10,000 more life than him. He could go that route, but personally I think resists are more important than life for a monk since our healing is all actual number based and not by percentage.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'd be interested in knowing where all this magical MF gear that ALSO has good stats is dropping as I don't get any of it myself and searching the auction house daily I have yet to see any of it for most of the slots.

Where those pieces exist I've been buying them, at least the ones I can afford.

Considering my build needs int, vit, resist all, armor, mana regen, crit chance/damage, life on hit, hp regen, and cc procs it is a challenge to find upgrades that have most of that, much less upgrades that have most of that AND magic find on top of it. In most cases that gear simply doesn't exist, at all.

In the meantime, while waiting for those rarest of rare items to appear I'll have a separate MF suit that just focuses on DPS and MF and I'll switch to it whenever needed.

scosher

Question, do you use a script to autoswap your MF gear? And if not, do you not find it extremely tedious to swap to your MF set manually right before every elite kill?

I like to min/max in these type of games as well, but when gaming the system becomes an annoyance, I'd rather they simply fix the issue. I was in favor of simply adding a quick swap key in-game so those of us who didn't want to resort to outside exploits could still gear swap to our min/max content, but I can understand the rationale as to why Blizzard wants to eliminate or discourage MF gear swapping completely.

LukeSmith

I'd be interested in knowing where all this magical MF gear that ALSO has good stats is dropping as I don't get any of it myself and searching the auction house daily I have yet to see any of it for most of the slots.

Where those pieces exist I've been buying them, at least the ones I can afford.

This is your problem. Optimal stats + magic find aren't the welfare handouts that you're finding with MF for 40k on the AH

RDreamer

I'm just saying it's easier to get move value from armor than resistances and it's a greatly under rated stat for monks.

RQgoF.jpg

Wow, do you have + armor on everything you have equipped or what? How does it get that high? I have a few things with higher armor, but I'm only mid 7000s with hard target running.

garath

I don't like swapping. So much so that I've made dps concessions so my "main" set of gear has MF. I have ~250% MF with 5 stacks (I'm not in front of the client so don't have the exact number).

A magic find cap would hurt me. But I guess it'd be nice because I could then replace some gear with strictly dps/defense gear and not worry about filtering on MF%.

Option 4 wouldn't bother me but frankly I think it's all stupid. Let the people that want to min/max swap gear. What's the harm? If you don't want to swap gear, you have your guaranteed yellows with neph stacks or you itemize with MF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom