• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I wish I had 36 million. Finding a weapon upgrade is proving to be difficult.

Just a matter of luck, I found 2 $250 crossbows and 1 30 million gold dagger in Act 3 in the same week, pre-1.03.

Kind of feel sorry for the people who bought the crossbows, they both had significant IAS.

Xanathus

There's still a good reason not to bid your maximum bid, because it reserves your gold while the auction is still going which means you won't have the gold to bid on another similar/better item that becomes available later.

eek5

There's still a good reason not to bid your maximum bid, because it reserves your gold while the auction is still going which means you won't have the gold to bid on another similar/better item that becomes available later.
Max bidding strat is only for sniping last second so none of your gold would get tied up.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Not really, just put the money in shortly before the auction ends. If you're not going to be around at that point then obviously you can put it in early since if you're not around to place the bid then you're not around to buy anything else with that money.

I typically put a bookmark bid on anything I'm thinking about buying. Usually it is a good enough item that I get my bookmark money back in a matter of minutes but now the auction shows up in my auction tabs and I can track it easily.

Then if I'm not going to be around for the end of the auction I put in my max bid right before I logoff for the last time before the auction.

Simply put, the only people who get sniped are the people who don't do anything to prevent it.

Yes. If the starting bid is 5000 gold and someone bids 100k then at the last second you bid 20 million, you'll win for 101k or whatever the minimum increment is at that level.

I find it absolutely stupid... It takes off every responsability on bidding... You should pay for the bid you give. period

Biff

I find it absolutely stupid... It takes off every responsability on bidding... You should pay for the bid you give. period

This is how ebay works....

If you were willing to pay more than 100k then you should have set your bid higher. Simple as that.

Erehael

Neo Member
Unless my calculations are crazy off, you'll need 243 Flawless Squares to be able to make one Perfect Star. And 1.6 M gold.

Yes you are correct.

So I've got the 243 Flawless Squares and the 537 Tomes.
Any Gaffer on EU able to craft a Perfect Star Emerald for me?

Rufus

Uh, I have salvaged a couple reduced requirement gear because the other stat was crappy, does anything with that sell well?
Sure, but I think the stat is and will remain much more valuable on hardcore. There's no reason to level multiple characters on softcore. People who level every class to 60 should be a minority, too.
The only way it would become more valuable is if there was a sudden influx of new players, but I don't see their number going anywhere but down in the future.

Xanathus

Max bidding strat is only for sniping last second so none of your gold would get tied up.

Yeah that's what I mean, put a bookmark minimum bid when the auction is new then bid your personal max amount close to the end.

Also what the fuck auction economy, an amulet I was trying to sell for the past week for 2 mil b/o just timed out so I relisted it again for 5 mil and it was almost instantly bought out.

Rufus

Also what the fuck auction economy, an amulet I was trying to sell for the past week for 2 mil b/o just timed out so I relisted it again for 5 mil and it was almost instantly bought out.
That's just testament to how difficult it is to fucking find anything. Pretty sure half the shit I've put up could have sold at what I've put it up originally if people could just find it more easily.
Also: What I wouldn't give to see at a glance what's been bid on. Not to mention all the other niceties, but that on

Sarcasm

Sure, but I think the stat is and will remain much more valuable on hardcore. There's no reason to level multiple characters on softcore. People who level every class to 60 should be a minority, too.
The only way it would become more valuable is if there was a sudden influx of new players, but I don't see their number going anywhere but down in the future.

Except there is the two of every class leveled to 60 cheevo.

Rufus

Except there is the two of every class leveled to 60 cheevo.
Fuck achievements. The challenge achievements are the only ones worth doing, the rest are all mind-numbing busywork you'd have to be pathologically disposed to doing. I especially like the gold farming one. Pick up 100 million gold. You've got to be kidding. Might as well ban every account that get this one before the year is out.

syllogism

Max bidding isn't great because once two or more do it, the winner will end up paying more than they would if they tried to time snipe right.

Opiate

Just to make sure, there still is no solution to finding a good (non buyout) item that you want to keep track of besides bidding on it, right?

That is, lets say you find great shoulders with no buyout and a 1d11h timer left. The only way to keep track of the item is to bid, yes? I ask because I just bid 4M on some shoulders for precisely that reason: I'd rather not tie up 4M gold, but I also don't want to lose those shoulders in the shuffle.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
If you don't like snipers then make the max you'll pay for an item your bid. The AH will automatically increment your bid for you if somebody competes and if they don't you'll get a refund of the money it didn't have to increment.

... obviously, but I would prefer a decent deal.

Just to make sure, there still is no solution to finding a good (non buyout) item that you want to keep track of besides bidding on it, right?

That is, lets say you find great shoulders with no buyout and a 1d11h timer left. The only way to keep track of the item is to bid, yes? I ask because I just bid 4M on some shoulders for precisely that reason: I'd rather not tie up 4M gold, but I also don't want to lose those shoulders in the shuffle.
Sadly no. There are so many things that they could do to improve the AH.

peenwaggle.jpg

At the point now where upgrades are minimum 20m. Lovely /epeen. Shoulders and helm up next (or if I can get one a 9-10 max disc socked 1hander with a lot of dps).

Xanathus

... obviously, but I would prefer a decent deal.

Then post a "decent" bid. If you're posting less then it means you're trying to fleece someone. If you lose the auction then it means your bid wasn't decent, if you overbid then your left over bid money will be returned to you so there's no loss. It's as simple as that.

inky

You can also have a notepad with you (or keep an excel document) and write it down :p Yea, it sucks you can't keep track of items, nor concede when you don't want them clogging your bids list anymore.

That is like, AH UI 101 Blizzard.

Prezhulio

so just got to inferno with my wd, couple quick questions:

should i grind my way to 500k to get hell staff of herding or just save up to get new gear?

my current equipment is pretty shitty, 9.1kdps and 15.6k hp.

is it worth to have hell whimsyshire to farm gold/61-63items or will i just get the floored mopped with me?

any build recommendations for wd?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

should i grind my way to 500k to get hell staff of herding or just save up to get new gear?

is it worth to have hell whimsyshire to farm gold/61-63items or will i just get the floored mopped with me?

I don't think Hell Whimyshire is really worth it unless you go in with a full stack of NV. Which means you'd have to prep yourself by wasting time killing champs in Act 1 Hell. The end result is that Act IV Hell is just as good if not better, I think.

s7evn

New gear. I don't think Whimsyshire drops 63's on hell. Just start farming act 1, you should be able to upgrade a lot of your gear for pretty cheap to make most of act 1 relatively easy.

If not, hit me up and I can give you a bunch of stuff I haven't sold for free (mostly 60-62) s7evn#1829

bs000

You do this you. Assuming it hasn't been fixed already :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLnzNYwpwDc&t=0m23s

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yea, the problem is that the economy is starting to stabilize right now. Game sales are top heavy, so right now, there are fewer and fewer new players playing through the earlier parts of the game and willing to buy low levelled items. Many of the people playing now also have level 60 alts, so if they want a lower levelled equipment, they can simply farm a few chapters ahead for little to no effort.

Most players who already have level 60 chars don't farm for low level gear, I think. It's much easier just to buy stuff on the AH for 5k (or less) a pop.

Blizzard needs to implement more reasons why people want to have low level gear. Final Fantasy 11 had a good idea with their level restricted BCNM instanced battles. I also think level restricted PVP options (with accompanying ranking) would be intersting too.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Then post a "decent" bid. If you're posting less then it means you're trying to fleece someone. If you lose the auction then it means your bid wasn't decent, if you overbid then your left over bid money will be returned to you so there's no loss. It's as simple as that.

the item was at 3 million with under a minute left, I had a max bid of 6 million...

Opiate

So here's one I'm having trouble pricing:

kliEy.jpg
[/IMG]

It's worth significant amount, but there are so few 1h bows with 280 dex that I honestly can't tell. 900 DPS is good, but not great. Any suggestions?

Trickster

ttp://i.imgur.com/kliEy.jpg

It's worth significant amount, but there are so few 1h bows with 280 dex that I honestly can't tell. 900 DPS is good, but not great. Any suggestions?

There's a 892 dps, 296 dex and 85 vit 1h xbow on the EU AH for 2 mil atm

kliEy.jpg
[/IMG]

Don't have an actual value suggestion, but in your case where the bows with 280 is limited, I'd just keep searching on smaller values of Dex until you can get a decent amount to base it on. Add a little price on top(or don't for a quicker sale I guess) and you should at least have a decent idea.

RivalCore

And I'm calling it quits. Nearly 200 hours on my Monk and I think I'm pretty content with how much value I got out of the game. I'm all farmed out.

All my Monk's gear went up on EU RMAH and I'm currently 2/3 towards paying off the game. Feels good man, now off to play the Walking Dead!

HenryHSH

So is there a minimum Time Left to do this? There's an item that is currently at 6,120,000g and has 48minutes left to bid on. If I bid 50M on it right now, will it cost me 6,426,000g only or do I have to wait until it's under 1 minute and make the 50m bid?

Then if I'm not going to be around for the end of the auction I put in my max bid right before I logoff for the last time before the auction.

Simply put, the only people who get sniped are the people who don't do anything to prevent it.

I think this answers it. So I could have basically gotten the item for 2M an hour ago? The highest bid was 2M, and if I put down 50M for such an item, I don't think anyone would have outbid it for obvious reasons. Isn't that a little flawed or am I misunderstanding how this works?

I think this answers it. So I could have basically gotten the item for 2M an hour ago? The highest bid was 2M, and if I put down 50M for such an item, I don't think anyone would have outbid it for obvious reasons. Isn't that a little flawed or am I misunderstanding how this works?

It will cost you whatever it ends up being under your maximum 50 mill. If no one else bids, you'll get it for 6.4. If there's a feeding frenzy at the end it could get 27.1mil, you'll get refunded the rest.

HenryHSH

Ok, so say I find an item that's worth 10M (no buyout) on the AH and the current bid is 1.2M... I put down 50M on it, the next person that wants to bid on it needs to bid over 50 right? So I basically reserve an item for 50 when I'm actually paying a little over 1.2M?

Sorry for being slow... I'm trying to wrap my head around this...

zulux21

So in the end it works like ebay?

for the most part aside from the fact that if you want to increase your bid it will automatically boost the current price to your previous max bid :/

at least on ebay you can add to your bid with out forcing you to pay your previous max @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom