• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

Eh, I don't think the usable loot issue is that different than D2 in general. It's just that the AH has morphed our perception of what "usable" is since you can find so much better from the AH that potential upgrades are that much rarer. You can basically skip entire tiers of progression with the AH and that's what causes the "so much worthless loot drops" issue really.

But pretty much everyone chugged potions like mad and used town portals to get around the fact that their drops weren't enough for the content. And it was possible to farm your current act to gear up for the next one. Something that will finally be fixed later this month in that patch.

GJS

Is there a way to search and find items like that if you are that level though? Because that would be awesome for me, I just hit like level 46 or something.

Search for level 60 items on the AH and use the reduced level requirement filter.

V_Arnold

But pretty much everyone chugged potions like mad and used town portals to get around the fact that their drops weren't enough for the content. And it was possible to farm your current act to gear up for the next one. Something that will finally be fixed later this month in that patch.

I am quite sure if chugging potions like mad will get mentioned one more time as something positive or alternative for what is in D3, I will chug some beers like mad until I pass out....

Jackl

I've got no problems with DRM. It was the natural path of progression for all PC games really.

Whats killed me is they've balanced the game around the AH. Not just the itemization, but builds, scaling, difficulty, and drop rates.

PvP isn't even out yet for people to cry about, and I already feel like I've been boxed into limitations because of what the AH requires.

RDreamer

Man, how long is it going to take to get my moneys. I wanna play with my new blizzbucks.

I've got no problems with DRM. It was the natural path of progression for all PC games really.

Whats killed me is they've balanced the game around the AH. Not just the itemization, but builds, scaling, difficulty, and drop rates.

PvP isn't even out yet for people to cry about, and I already feel like I've been boxed into limitations because of what the AH requires.

Except that they didn't. The lead designer guy said they couldn't design the game around the AH because they didn't have it when they were making the game. The drops are designed without the AH in mind. The problem is that they also didn't take into account just how antsy people would be to get through inferno. It wasn't supposed to be something you get through in a couple nights. It was supposed to take months and months for people to conquer it. And then a few exploited abilities were used to get through and get the items on the other end, and they (stupidly) didn't count on that either. So now people know it's possible to get through quickly and are seeing those items enter the economy through the AH and believe that's where you need to go, and that's how they purposefully designed it.

BigDug13

Search for level 60 items on the AH and use the reduced level requirement filter.

He needs to go a bit lower if he's 46. I doubt he will find reduced level requirement 14 on anything.

But it is a great way to game the AH. The item seems to be indexed as the level prior to the reduced level requirement stat. So if it says usable by level 51 and the stat of reduced level requirement 5, then it's indexed in the AH as a level 56 item. People are starting to learn that more and more though so those killer deals aren't as easy to find.

scy

Except ... you can do that. It just takes longer than most people want, which is the actual crux of the issue, not that it's literally impossible. The design expectation was days/weeks of farming Act 1 to progress into Act 2 and repeating this process until Act 4. Instead, people wanted to get to Act 4 and then farm.

Granted, I do think that ilvl 62/63 loot should have dropped in all Acts from the start just so you have a chance for slots that'll transcend Acts rather than an obvious "good for now, replace with next Act variant" slot.

Also, chugging potions being in the "positive" column is something I can't see eye-to-eye with. It's a way to circumvent itemization/gearing and skill.

Edit: I'd like to note that the change to drops later this month doesn't make it any easier to gear for content. It just makes it so you can occasionally get drops from later Acts. It still has to RNG to fit what you need, it'll just have higher max rolls. Honestly, this changes nothing for the actual progression curve (at least, nothing overwhelmingly so), just makes it so that farming Act 1 won't get you always worst base Inferno items.

Zzoram

Boo yah. Sold my Grungo Gear for $1.25 so I got $0.25 Blizzard bucks for Heart of the Swarm.

They better make it so we can pay for games with a combination of Blizzard bucks and credit card since I likely won't have $40+ Blizzard bucks by the end of the year.

BigDug13

I am quite sure if chugging potions like mad will get mentioned one more time as something positive or alternative for what is in D3, I will chug some beers like mad until I pass out....

You misread my post then if you think I was praising potion chugging.

I was making the point that shitty drop rates in that game were compensated by people loading up on potions and/or town portalling to safety which is dumb design IMO. This game gets around shitty drop rates by having everyone buy their gear in the AH, which is also dumb design IMO.

I was not at all lamenting the fact that there was no potion chugging in this game. Nor was I praising anything about my fat belt full of potions in D2.

Darb

Neo Member
I can't check the AH right now because I'm at work but do you know the price in dollars of a 1300ish 2-h axe? I sold mine yesterday for 2.2M (I had 10 RM auctions used), I think I sold it too cheap because it sold instantly.

For a good chance of it selling, I would say 20-40 dollars? I don't think too many of the 250 dollar auctions are selling.

That being said, I did buy one item last night. A 1200 dps 2-hander with 750ish LOH and 120 strength for 5 dollars. Felt like a good purchase.

Cagey

Banned
Count me among those who enjoyed D2 a lot more.

It's also because this game clearly doesn't have hardcore players in mind, at all, what with having to discern different colors on the ground hidden by enemy corpses etc. I've had deaths on softcore and near-deaths on hardcore due to large enemies dying and a small enemy being obscured entirely on-screen by that big oaf's body.

Maybe in a year when the game's more finely tuned I can enjoy measuring my progress in corpses again.

EDIT: and as I lament this game for not being as awesome as D2...

r9QzJ.png

I take back everything I said woot.

scy

They claim that they didn't. (I don't know if that's good or bad, honestly.)

It honestly feels like they didn't. But I guess I'm playing a different Diablo 3 than everyone else (and/or have different expectations).

I kind of can't wait for ilvl on items to be displayed. Should be interesting to see how many people complaining about loot progression actually have ilvl 60-61 stuff as their "impossible to upgrade" slots.

Though, Weapons are pretty bad at lower ilvls. I'll say that much.

I was making the point that shitty drop rates in that game were compensated by people loading up on potions and/or town portalling to safety which is dumb design IMO. This game gets around shitty drop rates by having everyone buy their gear in the AH, which is also dumb design IMO.

I was not at all lamenting the fact that there was no potion chugging in this game. Nor was I praising anything about my fat belt full of potions in D2.

Ah, so basically my take on it then :x TP hopping and potion chugging as a gearing/skill bypass. My bad then!

vaelic

Banned

It's also because this game clearly doesn't have hardcore players in mind, at all, what with having to discern different colors on the ground hidden by enemy corpses etc. I've had deaths on softcore and near-deaths on hardcore due to large enemies dying and a small enemy being obscured entirely on-screen by that big oaf's body.

Maybe in a year when the game's more finely tuned I can enjoy measuring my progress in corpses again.

r9QzJ.png

did you sell a yellow or legendary?

NinjaBoiX

I don't understand why people would do this (buy, not sell). Won't you get the gear through the course of play? It's like people who buy these "unlock all cars/weapons/guns/whatever for $6.99." You just bought the game, but instead of playing it, you are going to give then more money to play it for you? It's madness.

Jackl

Man, how long is it going to take to get my moneys. I wanna play with my new blizzbucks.

Except that they didn't. The lead designer guy said they couldn't design the game around the AH because they didn't have it when they were making the game. The drops are designed without the AH in mind. The problem is that they also didn't take into account just how antsy people would be to get through inferno. It wasn't supposed to be something you get through in a couple nights. It was supposed to take months and months for people to conquer it. And then a few exploited abilities were used to get through and get the items on the other end, and they (stupidly) didn't count on that either. So now people know it's possible to get through quickly and are seeing those items enter the economy through the AH and believe that's where you need to go, and that's how they purposefully designed it.

So they expected people to play the current incarnation of inferno, for months?

>.>

I don't know, maybe my expectations are off.

scy

So they expected people to play the current incarnation of inferno, for months?

They, in all seriousness, didn't expect Inferno to be cleared for another 6 or so weeks (that is, May -> August for the first clear).

In it's current implementation, it realistically takes about a month.

r9QzJ.png

Really, I just found a decent one of those on the ground 10 minutes ago in A1 Inferno. $100 bucks, eh? They freakin sell for as low as 40K or something on gold AH... I don't get it.

scy

Anybody? *cough* Scy *cough* ;D

I answered you last page but I guess it was last post or close to it :x

Anyway, 30% with +7% Block means it's a 23% Chance to Block Shield with +7% Chance to Block that makes it 30%. So, yes, it's already factored.

Edit: Actually, close to last in page but it was edited in! Hah.

Revoh

I've spent around 7M gearing my barb the last couple days, went from 500ish all res to 1000, more str, more vit, better weapon, better gear all around. It feels so good to finally smash everything in act 2 inferno. Act 3 is not that easy though.

scy

Shut up and give me money

Haven't sold anything since RMAH opened, even on gold AH :(

Most the stuff I had for the RMAH is garbage :/ I threw some decent items up but I got undercut (and/or overpriced my stuff anyway).

No make it rain gifs for me.

BigDug13

Shut up and give me money

Haven't sold anything since RMAH opened, even on gold AH :(

Yeah I don't see how people are selling their stuff so easily. Some of the garbage items that people posted some pages back and sold for substantial sums. My entire page of auctions are sitting there.

TommyT

I answered you last page but I guess it was last post or close to it :x

Anyway, 30% with +7% Block means it's a 23% Chance to Block Shield with +7% Chance to Block that makes it 30%. So, yes, it's already factored.

Edit: Actually, close to last in page but it was edited in! Hah.

Ahh that's why, it was an edit. My bad homie, thanks!

What i just looted. any good?

mojo has way too little damage range. it's real bad, salvage.
amulet has tons of int, a useful resist, base damage, and decent gold find. I can see it getting a modest (200-600K-ish?) valuation in the AH, problem is that you will be competing with blues at the 10-50k level that might be better itemized.

RPGCrazied

That sucks about the limit of created games. Don't like this. This really sucks for the achievement hunters. When you have to run a specific map to get a certain dungeon to spawn or a lore book.

Anustart

Yeah I don't see how people are selling their stuff so easily. Some of the garbage items that people posted some pages back and sold for substantial sums. My entire page of auctions are sitting there.

In 16 hours when my auctions end, I'm going to just set absurd prices and see if people are only buying super expensive items because the price draws their cursor to look at it. It will be glorious if the items I have listed now for 5 to 50 bucks sell at $100+

Zimbardo

so is there a trick to getting paypal setup for the AH?

i have it set as my primary payment method on the battlenet website ...but when i select it in game, it says that i need to set it up.

what gives?

TommyT

Not super great but definitely not bad. It will sell rather well actually because botters will take it off your hand np.

Search the AH for one of the primary stats (they're really not good together) plus the gold find. Find something with a bid, price about 50k lower than the buyout price it is going for and enjoy.

i have it set as my primary payment method on the battlenet website ...but when i select it in game, it says that i need to set it up.

what gives?

I went through this for hours and was bugging people a bit for help (sorry Shouta :\) before I finally found something on it. You basically have to set up SMS alerts on your bnet account. Go to Security -> SMS. Get that set up and you should get a text from bnet. If that doesn't fix your issue, drop the paypal account and add it again after you've set up the SMS alerts. Should get you going.

V_Arnold

I am sorry then.

scy

what gives?

Make sure SMS Protect is set up. If that's all been done, log out and back in.

Danj

what gives?

Also is there a way to setup Paypal for the AH without it asking for your card details? I successfully set up a Paypal account without using any bank details at all, but when I try to add it to battle.net it wants card details.

Radec

Been doing some Butcher runs over the past 3 hours, got like 30 yellows and hundred of blues. 250+ MF

None was worth selling or replacing my gear.

SMH. :(

BigDug13

Been doing some Butcher runs over the past 3 hours, got like 30 yellows and hundred of blues. 250+ MF

That patch is going to be magical. My monk is knockin about in Act 1 Inferno and I'm also scratching my head at the minuscule dps weapons that are dropping. Yellow level 60 items with 300 or less dps. Wtf? Armor with lower stats than what is selling for 10k on the AH?

Don't forget to salvage your level 60 items instead of vendoring them. Inferno crafting materials (yellow and blue) sell for around 1500 apiece on the AH typically.

Saerk

I just sold the belt I was using for $40. Pretty glad I sniped that for 500k gold the other day. It was pretty nice, but I can get a cheap replacement for act 1 farming when 1.03 comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom