• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Why people feel like they're done with the game after 200-300 hours like it's not something to expect is beyond me. If I played any game for that long over 3 months (especially if I played only one or two classes) I'm pretty sure I'd be burned out too. In fact I'm sure I'll soon be burned out on the game if I don't focus on my other chars because I've already put 130 hours in my wizard (and I've had the game for less than a month too, but I'm on holiday). But it's alright, cause any game I can enjoy for a couple hundred hours is a great game in my book. I feel like I have had my money's worth.

Also, it's pretty much guaranteed that many people are going to come back to the game, even those who say they're 'done'. They might come back because of an expansion, because of a major patch, or just because they realize that after a while they get the itch to play it again. Again, any game you can play for that long in such a short period of time has to be special enough that you're never completely done with it.

redhot_

You can tell how much the playerbase has dropped off by how slow this thread progresses compared to a few weeks ago. I can actually keep up with everything now.

lol I miss coming on here and scrolling through 6 pages, good for a morning read. Now half that is price checks.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm starting to think that it might be worthwhile for me to switch to 1h+shield since the ~120k dps I would have with shield merely means that champs take a few second longer while the added protection just guarantees I never die except while MF switching.

(stats with archon, enchantress, familiar, magic weapon (blood magic rune), glass cannon)

Jt48q.jpg

I'm not particularly efficient in terms of EHP as my vit is quite low compared to my damage reduction. EHP isn't that important though if I get some leech in addition to what I get from magic weapon rune.

Needless to say with those stats you can pretty much do any build, with a source or shield, but have you tried going melee? With that amount of crit%, crit dmg, armor and all res you should definitely give it a go. Even with as low as 30k HP you'll do fine.

P.S.: I hate you for all your gear and gems and money :(.

[EDIT] One thing that's bad though: your attack speed. You definitely want to go with a wand, or better yet a dagger if you want to be a good melee wiz. How much AP on crit have you got? 20 is a minimum if you ask me.

Why people feel like they're done with the game after 200-300 hours like it's not something to expect is beyond me. If I played any game for that long over 3 months (especially if I played only one or two classes) I'm pretty sure I'd be burned out too. In fact I'm sure I'll soon be burned out on the game if I don't focus on my other chars because I've already put 130 hours in my wizard (and I've had the game for less than a month too, but I'm on holiday). But it's alright, cause any game I can enjoy for a couple hundred hours is a great game in my book. I feel like I have had my money's worth.

Also, it's pretty much guaranteed that many people are going to come back to the game, even those who say they're 'done'. They might come back because of an expansion, because of a major patch, or just because they realize that after a while they get the itch to play it again. Again, any game you can play for that long in such a short period of time has to be special enough that you're never completely done with it.

Well for me personally I played D2 nearly continuously from July 2000 until early 2003. I don't know how many hours that would have been, but it easily eclipses the ~200 hours I put into D3 so far (30-40 probably from the AH). And I see myself stopping completely once I have made enough to get a Plasma TV for the bedroom.

Way too many flaws with the game itself and I don't mean difficulty either.

The only saving grace is playing Auction House Tycoon, but if I could have a worthy sequel without the RMAH I would gladly take it.

Ramirez

I'm at like 1.96 IAS now, think I was down to 1.4 or something after they nerfed it, feels good to shoot semi fast again. I think I was close to 2.4 pre patch. :(

LFG

Neophyte
I'm starting to dabble a bit in HC mode. To what level can you obtain in normal and nightmare before mobs quit giving xp?

MrDaravon

I've played multiple other games (many of them dc/loot games) for as long or longer and in both shorter and longer periods of time. D3 certainly isn't a total shitshow, but it has severe end-game problems that have been well-documented to the point where I don't think anyone needs to go into it again. I don't really regret the time I've spent with it and certainly got my money's worth from it, but if I never played it again for the rest of my life I wouldn't miss it. As the game stands right this moment (and I expect this to change down the lines with patches/expansions/etc) I'd only go back to it if I really wanted to play a loot game, but I've got the PSO2 JP version installed and Torchlight 2 out soonish, and Borderlands 2 in September. Unless T2 and B2 both totally suck which I suppose is possible, but probably unlikely. And honestly at that point I've installed D2 (which I never really played) and fucked around with that for a couple hours, and was honestly having a better time with that, but that's a pretty narrow window so I can't make any judgments there. But outside of some usability issues (like having to click for gold, UI/HUD stuff, screen res, etc) I was having a much better time my first couple hours with that game than with D3, and that's kind of a problem.

Anustart

What is it with champs with the Shielding mod basically being immune to zombie bears? :(

I'll purposefully wait until their shield drops then unleash the bears *bam* shields up! Seriously, do they raise the shield if a high dps attack comes at them? It's almost impossible to land a bear on them. Also doesn't help that since the last patch the actual Shield graphic doesn't show anymore so I just have to look for the *immune* on hit.

RDreamer

What is it with champs with the Shielding mod basically being immune to zombie bears? :(

I'll purposefully wait until their shield drops then unleash the bears *bam* shields up! Seriously, do they raise the shield if a high dps attack comes at them? It's almost impossible to land a bear on them. Also doesn't help that since the last patch the actual Shield graphic doesn't show anymore so I just have to look for the *immune* on hit.

I'm not sure about you not seeing the shielding graphic, since I definitely see that. But yeah shielding seems to be really badly timed. As a monk I'll sometimes float and wait for it to go down, pop Conviction, and Blinding Flash and teleport over there with Thunderclap, and sometimes even pop serenity right at the same time if I want to burst them down quickly and bam shield comes back up right when I get to them. Then I need to sit there and wait for it to go down and then whittle them down without my higher dps stuff...

eek5

The best strategy I've found for shielding is to just keep hitting them while they're shielded. Trying to time it will just make you angry. The affix as-is, exists only to prolong fights, not make it any more complex or interesting.

The best strategy I've found for shielding is to just keep hitting them while they're shielded. Trying to time it will just make you angry. The affix as-is, exists only to prolong fights, not make it any more complex or interesting.

It creates a minor problem in the sense that you can't regain resources (LoH, life steal, etc) while they're shielded, but even then, it's not that bad because often you have abilities that restore resources through Shielding (revenge, for example), or AoE abilities in general that can allow you to recover resources on other mobs in the area that aren't shielded.

RDreamer

Shielding on some trash elites can be dealt with like that, but some can't. If it's couples with molten or plagued (or both) along with on a monster that likes to constantly run away, you can't really sit there and hammer on it, since that means basically following it hitting once every few seconds while walking straight through molten.

So fucking stupid lol. I mean what's the downside of that specific bug? Being able to keep track of specific items should be in the damn game as a standard feature.
Pathetic isn't it.

You'd at least think they'd add a "watch this item" button whilst they're there. Wankers.

zulux21

ah, finally won a low bid on an item
B33Zz.png

for 900k (no buyout), which is funny because I failed to buy 2 crossbows with about the same stats at 2mil plus earlier today lol

I might be ready to finally move to act 3 inferno, as the new bow adds 7k life and 3-7k more damage... it really depends how much harder act 3 is than 2 as I was able to fairly easily farm act 2 solo earlier today before getting the new weapon.

On a different note is using high MF gear with full stack worth it.

for example would it be better to farm act 1 with 240MF gear, or act 2 with only 19% MF? I figure it's better to farm act 2, but well I am to lazy to sit down and test it extensively lol

RDreamer

OH WAIT that's our own Gaffer rolling with Kripp! awesome! I'm so dense lol.
You go, man.

Yeah. I think he's doing well enough. He died a bunch, but whatever. This format does that to some builds and some people. I know I'd probably rack up a few deaths from computer loads. Though they were shitting on Swiftlame a bit more because his build isn't completely "optimal," which I find pretty stupid...

My barb friend and me started doing stuff like this, where he'd let me know when he found an elite and I'd pop in, and sometimes you can just get bit in the ass with a bad elite and having nowhere to run at all, since the outside mobs aren't clear.

A few pages back, I was asking about the Wizard Archon build. I tried it out and it was FUCKING GLORIOUS! I was previously a Blizz+Hydra kiting wizard and 25% move speed. Grabbed a few cheap items off the AH..no more than 100k per item..and I was off to try the Archon build.

I was burning through everything with ease!! My main weakness was that I had low hp regen and low LoH. Thus, elites with extra health and reflect damage is a bit painful sometimes...but still doable in solo mode. I was doing Act 1 elite runs in 30 mins! (Northern Highlands, Cemetery, Festering Woods, Leoric's Manor, Halls 2)

Then comes 3 or 4 player mode....oh boy....almost 80% of the elites we met had Extra Health and Reflect Damage...(worse if there's Horde). I burn through them so fast, that with the reflect damage....I can die in 2 seconds from the reflected damage!

Time to look for more LoH and life regen gears!

p/s i have about 51k dps after buffs

Switftlame

Neo Member
Oh wow, I always read it as Sfiftflame. My bad.

i misspelled it when i made the account and moodyshuffle "fixed it" but made it worse so if any mods wanna fix my name to swiftlame would be great
and i dont think im really squishy arcane just gives me no time to react any other damage im fine with

railGUN

Banned
Ghom is so fucking stupid holy shit. I have 50k DPS and I can't kill him... Not only is he ridiculously hard, but lag, or something is completely screwing me - when he starts his puke animation, I can be 20 yards away, with SS up, and still watch my health drain at about 15k per second until I'm dead - what the fuck is up with that. My ping is fine, the puke he spews is nowhere near me, he has no slimes up, and yet I just die. I'm lucky to get him to 25%, and always if I do get him that low, I've completely filled the room. What the fuck Blizzard.

Trickster

Ghom is so fucking stupid holy shit. I have 50k DPS and I can't kill him... Not only is he ridiculously hard, but lag, or something is completely screwing me - when he starts his puke animation, I can be 20 yards away, with SS up, and still watch my health drain at about 15k per second until I'm dead - what the fuck is up with that. My ping is fine, the puke he spews is nowhere near me, he has no slimes up, and yet I just die. I'm lucky to get him to 25%, and always if I do get him that low, I've completely filled the room. What the fuck Blizzard.

Funny how they went from one extremet to another with Ghom. Can't imagine what thought process they used for that. "ghom is too easy guys, lets make him way too hard instead"

trs1080

Neo Member

So this just sold for 50m after some furious last minute bidding. Most gold I've had was like 6m before. Time to swim in my virtual silo full of gold coins!

Funny thing, I didn't realize the real value and was just happy when I saw it reach 10m heh.

Also have two weapons up that may go for 20m+. That Act 2 farming path that was posted earlier has been good to me lately, so many better items than what I was getting in Act 1.

Switftlame

Neo Member
So this just sold for 50m after some furious last minute bidding. Most gold I've had was like 6m before. Time to swim in my virtual silo full of gold coins!

Funny thing, I didn't realize the real value and was just happy when I saw it reach 10m heh.

Also have two weapons up that may go for 20m+. That Act 2 farming path that was posted earlier has been good to me lately, so many better items than what I was getting in Act 1.

odd that doesnt look like a 50 m chest 2 me
OpUnE.jpg

i only payed 50m for that

Zyzyxxz

A few pages back, I was asking about the Wizard Archon build. I tried it out and it was FUCKING GLORIOUS! I was previously a Blizz+Hydra kiting wizard and 25% move speed. Grabbed a few cheap items off the AH..no more than 100k per item..and I was off to try the Archon build.

I was burning through everything with ease!! My main weakness was that I had low hp regen and low LoH. Thus, elites with extra health and reflect damage is a bit painful sometimes...but still doable in solo mode. I was doing Act 1 elite runs in 30 mins! (Northern Highlands, Cemetery, Festering Woods, Leoric's Manor, Halls 2)

Then comes 3 or 4 player mode....oh boy....almost 80% of the elites we met had Extra Health and Reflect Damage...(worse if there's Horde). I burn through them so fast, that with the reflect damage....I can die in 2 seconds from the reflected damage!

Time to look for more LoH and life regen gears!

p/s i have about 51k dps after buffs

What archon build is this?

railGUN

Banned
This just dropped for me - missing critical hit unfortunately, but max IAS, 9 Max Disc, high DEX and decent Hatred regen still makes it a slight upgrade for me.

oyIf1.jpg

What archon build is this?

Energy Twister with Wicked Wind
Diamond Skin with Crystal Shell
Improved Archon
Force Weapon with life leech
Familiar with damage
Energy Armor with Prismatc

Most of my gears are +Int, +IAS, +Crit Chance. Some crit damage here and there...mostly from socket in weapon.

If Archon is cooling down, I gather trash mobs around me, turn on diamond skin and stack Energy Twister on them.

Zyzyxxz

Energy Twister with Wicked Wind
Diamond Skin with Crystal Shell
Improved Archon
Force Weapon with life leech
Familiar with damage
Energy Armor with Prismatc

Most of my gears are +Int, +IAS, +Crit Chance. Some crit damage here and there...mostly from socket in weapon.

If Archon is cooling down, I gather trash mobs around me, turn on diamond skin and stack Energy Twister on them.

Wait so you give up a basic attack? Seems kinda risky but at the same time fun. I want Life on Hit before I try this though, I've been running a similar build but with frost nova to keep them endlessly frozen with my critical mass and crit chance. Every time I tried using archon I despised the fact I couldn't be spamming diamond skin.

Yes. No signature attack. You can still spam diamond skin.....since the wicked wind will proc critical mass and reduce the cooldown on diamond skin.

Best if you can get AP on crit gear....so you can spam more wicked wind. That whirldwind is costly at 35 AP.

edit: oh, you meant spam diamond skin while in Archon? But you kill them faster than they can reach you!!

p/s we need life steal and LoH to survive in Archon mode.

So true - That's why i sugested few dozens pages ago that OT5 should have
"So bad I played it 300 hours" as title ;)

syllogism

Needless to say with those stats you can pretty much do any build, with a source or shield, but have you tried going melee? With that amount of crit%, crit dmg, armor and all res you should definitely give it a go. Even with as low as 30k HP you'll do fine.

P.S.: I hate you for all your gear and gems and money :(.

[EDIT] One thing that's bad though: your attack speed. You definitely want to go with a wand, or better yet a dagger if you want to be a good melee wiz. How much AP on crit have you got? 20 is a minimum if you ask me.
I have and it of course works very well, but archon has better dps output and doesn't give me carpal tunnel

LordCanti

Mindblowing that someone actually has 999,999,999 gold....

Gsud4.jpg

Sweet Jesus. Even if you're bad at converting gold to money through AH/RMAH flipping, that's still thousands of dollars.

Now think about that ~150mil will disappear into fees.

I want the guy that sold something for 250m to come back and give us a status update. Did he make any money off that gold, or does he have the buffest character in the world, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom