• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

wow I'm basically just complaining for the sake of complaining, I thought that was obvious. I'm not starting a vendetta against the game here lol. I can't be annoyed that I can't get a stronger bow without paying a gazillion, and I can't seem to get one after farming 100 hours?

I think it's normal for people to complain after that kind of stuff. You're a true warrior though, stand up gentlemanz. There's no overarching point being made here, it just bugs me :|

You can complain about anything you want. You weren't complaining about not being able to loot a better bow than your current one though. You were crying about how the crossbow market is priced higher than 2H for some reason even though, as scy has pointed out, that comparison makes absolutely no sense and even after being responded to with reason you decided to ignore that and keep running with it.

scy

I can't be annoyed that I can't get a stronger bow without paying a gazillion, and I can't seem to get one after farming 100 hours?

I don't think anyone has a problem with that. It's just that it's an unfair comparison to say "Bows/Crossbows are expensive and other 2H weapons aren't!" when it's overlooking the fact that:

A) 2H Weapons are undesirable.
B) Bows/Crossbows have a lower base damage range.

1100 -> 1200 on a Crossbow is like the 1400 -> 1500 2H gap.

Also of note, 1000 DPS on a 1Her is "easier" to get due to how the +Damage mod works for them.

Edit: This does mean that, yes, you can gear a ridiculously high 2H Weapon for cheap but you'll have to compensate by getting better equipment in every other slot to make up for the lost Shield. WD still wants faster attacks / Mana regen from their OH so they tend to not gear 2H that often so, really, it's just Wizards getting 2H Weapons :x

...well, and the Enchantress. If we're counting her.

I don't think anyone has a problem with that. It's just that it's an unfair comparison to say "Bows/Crossbows are expensive and other 2H weapons aren't!" when it's overlooking the fact that:

A) 2H Weapons are undesirable.
B) Bows/Crossbows have a lower base damage range.

1100 -> 1200 on a Crossbow is like the 1400 -> 1500 2H gap.

Also of note, 1000 DPS on a 1Her is "easier" to get due to how the +Damage mod works for them.

Edit: This does mean that, yes, you can gear a ridiculously high 2H Weapon for cheap but you'll have to compensate by getting better equipment in every other slot to make up for the lost Shield. WD still wants faster attacks / Mana regen from their OH so they tend to not gear 2H that often so, really, it's just Wizards getting 2H Weapons :x

I agree, bad comparison.

But there has to be a better way here. What am I supposed to farm 1000 hours and hope I get something. Or spend all my savings on one weapon. Rather just cash out the game in the rmah. No middle ground up in here.

You can complain about anything you want. You weren't complaining about not being able to loot a better bow than your current one though. You were crying about how the crossbow market is priced higher than 2H for some reason even though, as scy has pointed out, that comparison makes absolutely no sense and even after being responded to with reason you decided to ignore that and keep running with it.
yes, I was truly crying.

eek5

2H on barb is basically a cheese build using CDs and killing packs every 2 minutes. Yeah you can also do a variation using seismic slam but you're essentially a melee glass cannon, a walking oxymoron.

2H on monk doesn't work unless it's a daibo with max spirit/life roll+spirit regen. I can't see how you could make a workable build w/ 2H without getting over 70 LpSS and using Guardian's path w/ spirit regen w/ 2H. You'd also have to gear all your equipment for spirit-gen.

So yeah, it pretty much is only Wizards and the enchantress lol

Too bad there isn't a way to make crafting less pointless and shitty without breaking the game in some way. I think. Like I said, there has to be a better solution.

scy

I agree, bad comparison.

But there has to be a better way here. What am I supposed to farm 1000 hours and hope I get something. Or spend all my savings on one weapon. Rather just cash out the game in the rmah. No middle ground up in here.

Can't help you on that part, really. I just play a loot run a night just to see if I get something. I still enjoy the game itself so I'm just continuing to do that until a patch comes that changes everything.

Though, with LoL and some other games I really want to finish (Gungnir and Unchained Blades work on the Vita now, I needs to get to mathing!) ... I don't know how much longer I'll continue that nightly run.

Can't help you on that part, really. I just play a loot run a night just to see if I get something. I still enjoy the game itself so I'm just continuing to do that until a patch comes that changes everything.

Though, with LoL and some other games I really want to finish (Gungnir and Unchained Blades work on the Vita now, I needs to get to mathing!) ... I don't know how much longer I'll continue that nightly run.
I'm not completely bored yet, of course because if I was I'd just cash out and stop playing. But man, all I do is farm farm farm act 3 mostly (quit farming act 2 two days ago) and crap crap crap. Though if I had something else to play at the moment I'd completely stop and play that something else. But alas, here I am, hoping for something.

It's funny, but I think the game has more staying power for me for its mechanics than the loot game. I've still only played Wizard (around 140 hours now), and I'm still having a blast every time I play. After a lot of farming, I think I'm ready to make some progress toward the end of Act II.

I've had pretty shit luck with loot. Two bad legendaries, no set items, and nothing that has sold on the AH for more than about 600K gold. 3 sales on the RMAH for $2 each, of which Blizzard took half the proceeds...

Well to be fair to the game, I have made over 500 bucks in the RMAH lol, so I guess that also helps keep me playing. I've decided to go for gold only now... I enjoy farming for loot but there's only so much one can take.

LordCanti

Well to be fair to the game, I have made over 500 bucks in the RMAH lol, so I guess that also helps keep me playing. I've decided to go for gold only now... I enjoy farming for loot but there's only so much one can take.

I pretty much just play the AH these days. I get gold selling my nine mules worth of mid-tier crap, buy a decent item with that gold, and get roughly $5/mil.

It beats going outside on a 100+ degree day. A man can only spend so many hours in a pool.

LordCanti

Selling gold should be avoided. Unless you just don't have the time, you can do better than $2.50 (minus 30%) per million by flipping stuff from the AH to the RMAH.

Having said that, yeah, it sells at a glacial pace.

Edit: I just ran into a first... When looking up a certain commodity, "no one is selling this item at this time"

Guess I should get in there and set whatever price I want :p Can't hurt to try.

Tom Penny

I'm assuming this will fetch some decent gold?

44slr.jpg

I can't believe someone gave me...

lLG9b.jpg

LordCanti

I never get to find out how much gold my stuff is worth, because right onto the RMAH it goes every time.

I always check both to see where the best place to sell is.

Well, I mean, I base my RMAH prices on what I think I could get in the GAH, but since I don't sell in the GAH, I never get to wake up to "holy crap, someone paid 17m for this?!"

Then again, I got to wake up to "Holy crap, someone paid $250 for this?!" once, which was incredible. People are more likely to go nuts bidding with gold than they are with money though.

Tom Penny

Huge Vit, nice dex, res all, MF, two sockets and a very high armor roll.

Seems about right.

I guess I'm thinking from a monk perspective were you don't need all resist as much and can get like 100 on a piece. Maybe I'm underestimating the high armour number? Is it better to say have 150 more armour on something or 50 resist?

balddemon

Banned
I guess I'm thinking from a monk perspective were you don't need all resist as much and can get like 100 on a piece. Maybe I'm underestimating the high armour number? Is it better to say have 150 more armour on something or 50 resist?

it depends on how much of each you have
10 armor = 1 resist

if you have 5000 armor and 700 all resist, i'd aim for more armor.

LordCanti

Does anyone know the formula for critical hit damage? I'm still trying to outfit my tornado barb (as cheap as I possibly can) for A3, and I'm wondering how much a 50% crit damage amulet would add to my DPS. Right now I've got an 8% crit chance amulet without any damage, and I can afford to go to 50% damage, and maybe 5-6% chance. Is it worth it? My crit chance would drop to 47-48%, but my crit damage would go up to 250%

Prices on barb stuff have gone through the roof since this tornado build came around. I could probably flip the kit I bought for 1m for 10m at this point, but gearing up any further is proving difficult.

I mean, I could spend $20 and completely roll A3, but I'm the one selling dammit. I can't be buying :p

scy

Does anyone know the formula for critical hit damage? I'm still trying to outfit my tornado barb (as cheap as I possibly can) for A3, and I'm wondering how much a 50% crit damage amulet would add to my DPS. Right now I've got an 8% crit chance amulet without any damage, and I can afford to go to 50% damage, and maybe 5-6% chance. Is it worth it? My crit chance would drop to 47-48%, but my crit damage would go up to 250%

The multiplier is merely: (1 + CritChance * CritDamage)

50%/200% gives you a 2.0 multiplier; 47%/250% gives you 2.175.

So, would a DH care about a hand Xbow with 608 life on hit? 750 dps, +9 max disc...

I have no idea what DH's want. There were zero hand xbows on either AH with that much loh.

nevermind, some showed up. Still no idea what it's really worth.

LordCanti

The multiplier is merely: (1 + CritChance * CritDamage)

50%/200% gives you a 2.0 multiplier; 47%/250% gives you 2.175.

Mmm... .175 added to the multiplier doesn't seem like much does it.

Thanks.

So, would a DH care about a hand Xbow with 608 life on hit? 750 dps, +9 max disc...

I have no idea what DH's want. There were zero hand xbows on either AH with that much loh.

nevermind, some showed up. Still no idea what it's really worth.

For reflect damage mobs I guess. Otherwise, no. When a 1200 DPS crossbow can be had for almost nothing, there is no point in going with a 750dps hand crossbow, no matter the stats. Unless there's been some new DH build I'm unaware of.

Mmm... .175 added to the multiplier doesn't seem like much does it.

Thanks.

For reflect damage mobs I guess. Otherwise, no. When a 1200 DPS crossbow can be had for almost nothing, there is no point in going with a 750dps hand crossbow, no matter the stats. Unless there's been some new DH build I'm unaware of.

Yeah that makes sense, didn't think so. God forbid I would ever get any life on hit on a one hand non xbow....

I get so fucking sick of this game sometimes. Build up 5 stacks. Get to azmodan. All easy so far. Oops, looks like a game breaking bug that appears when you fight him.

*googles it* oh looks like people have been complaining about it for a month or so and it's still not fixed, maybe it'll stop happening

*100K in repair costs later*

fuck this shit, fuck you blizzard, alt f4, and I'm here.

I get so fucking sick of this game sometimes. Build up 5 stacks. Get to azmodan. All easy so far. Oops, looks like a game breaking bug that appears when you fight him.

*googles it* oh looks like people have been complaining about it for a month or so and it's still not fixed, maybe it'll stop happening

*100K in repair costs later*

fuck this shit, fuck you blizzard, alt f4, and I'm here.

what is this game breaking bug? I'm curious. I do nothing but azmo runs in this game, and I've never experienced any bugs with that particular boss.

what is this game breaking bug? I'm curious. I do nothing but azmo runs in this game, and I've never experienced any bugs with that particular boss.
I've never experienced it EVER and I've done like a zillion runs the past week on him, but today it happened and it never went away.

You basically die from nothing. Nothing is hitting you and you just...die. I've googled it and some people think there is a glitch where some puddles become invisible and you're walking over them, blahblahblah. Needless to say, there was no way around it. Ended up wasting my time and a ton of gold on that farm run for repairs. Seems like a known issue for quite some time. You seriously cannot progress whatsoever, I tried 100 different tactics.

Sounds rough. Glad I've never ran into it. The most annoying bug I've encountered so far is those winged moloks pretty much being immune to death and just following you around during the entire zone.

Sounds rough. Glad I've never ran into it. The most annoying bug I've encountered so far is those winged moloks pretty much being immune to death and just following you around during the entire zone.
yeah that one happens a lot, very annoying. Luckily as a DH I can just smokescreen repeatedly until I run away, then just avoid it.

eek5

I've never experienced it EVER and I've done like a zillion runs the past week on him, but today it happened and it never went away.

You basically die from nothing. Nothing is hitting you and you just...die. I've googled it and some people think there is a glitch where some puddles become invisible and you're walking over them, blahblahblah. Needless to say, there was no way around it. Ended up wasting my time and a ton of gold on that farm run for repairs. Seems like a known issue for quite some time. You seriously cannot progress whatsoever, I tried 100 different tactics.

It's the same bug as invisible arcane beams or the (now fixed) invisible wasp bee streams or whatever. When you move off screen of something then come back it is invisible. In Azmodan's case it begins playing the pool animation again even though that pool has fully spread out. The solution is to just stay on the edge of a pool before the next one spawns then to keep moving the same direction (clockwise or counter clockwise) instead of going back and forth.

kennah

Annoyed with repair bills, I just started gearing my barb with Indestructible items. Got some surprisingly good stuff for cheap. Level 56 and doing 15k damage with 15khp.

LordCanti

someone overpaid for that chest

and it wasn't you swiftlame

Every time I flip something, I marvel at the inability of people to look at what they'd pay in gold for an item before they pay actual money.

His $250 sale is basically an extrapolation of the $5 per million gold spent that I get by flipping stuff. Sometimes I get less, sometimes I get more, but $5/m is still doable because people are dumb and/or lazy.

Annoyed with repair bills, I just started gearing my barb with Indestructible items. Got some surprisingly good stuff for cheap. Level 56 and doing 15k damage with 15khp.

You should not be dying at all as a Barb in hell. WOTB and Earthquake make it really easy. What build are you running?

It's the same bug as invisible arcane beams or the (now fixed) invisible wasp bee streams or whatever. When you move off screen of something then come back it is invisible. In Azmodan's case it begins playing the pool animation again even though that pool has fully spread out. The solution is to just stay on the edge of a pool before the next one spawns then to keep moving the same direction (clockwise or counter clockwise) instead of going back and forth.
I tried that, just wasn't working. I read that it happens due to off screen. Tried my absolute best to stay on, no dice.

Also I just sold my 3rd pair of boots for 30 dollars this week lol. Boots for days.

Shouta

Gold doesn't really sell on the RMAH, does it? Or maybe it does and my batch set at .25 per 100k is stuck in limbo...

Finished the game on Inferno a couple days ago. I was really happy at the time, but now I'm stuck in the spot where I don't really feel like playing anymore. Have been doing act 2 runs which is pretty easy for my monk (albeit I do die a couple times) and have found some gear but not quite a lot. It's just kind of pointless playing the game at this point =P Might quit for a few months until they do a reasonable new update.

equil

I sold 30m gold in one stack. But the way it sold is kind of strange.

I first got these 3 emails.

Items in review 8,600,000 Gold
Time of transaction 31 Dec 1969 04:00 PM PST
Total value in review $21.50

Items in review 16,700,000 Gold
Total value in review $41.75

Items in review 25,700,000 Gold
Total value in review $64.25

That is more than 30m total, but then i got this email:

Item name 30,000,000 Gold