• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this game has a lot of problems, but I also can't stop playing it every other night.

I guess its the casual gamer part of me that knows I won't run into end-game problems for quite some time. Hell, it took me a year to hit 30th level in WoW. Once I feel a grind is getting in my way of enjoying a game I get out of the hamster wheel for a while.

The simple pleasure of bashing bad guys and finding loot and filling out a zone's map is still there for my Normal runs. Not even sure if I'll make it past Nightmare with any of my characters.

OK, one small aside though: I wish you could take white items and have the chance to enchant them like in Torchlight, so at least there'd be some purpose or joy to finding exquisite and masterwork weapons and the like.

Natiko

Banned
Well I decimated Hell, especially once I could equip my level 60 gear. I got a bunch of stuff for cheap that brought me up to a bit more than 70k buffed damage. What sort of stuff should I be looking for at this point? I'm using a demon hunter. I have 28k health, 486 life per second, 655 life on hit, 254% crit damage, 395 all resistance, and 1642 dex.

Thanks for any help you all can give, I've just heard inferno is tough and I'm not sure how best to prepare for it.

koji

Well I decimated Hell, especially once I could equip my level 60 gear. I got a bunch of stuff for cheap that brought me up to a bit more than 70k buffed damage. What sort of stuff should I be looking for at this point? I'm using a demon hunter. I have 28k health, 486 life per second, 655 life on hit, 254% crit damage, 395 all resistance, and 1642 dex.

Thanks for any help you all can give, I've just heard inferno is tough and I'm not sure how best to prepare for it.

Don't know much about DH's but those stats sound good enough for act1 inferno.

With those stats you should finish act 1 inferno no problem.
And if you have 30-40% crit chance without sharpshooter you should be able to do act 2 :D

Natiko

Banned
Thanks for the input :) I only have 15.5% crit chance so now I have a good idea on what I need to improve, definitely gonna keep my eye out on the auction house over the next couple days.

koji

Finally making some progress again with my WD in inferno, close to ZK atm. Nice to be able to do something else for a change. I'm still farming act1 with my MF set as well.

Oh, the loot I've been getting with 5 stacks so far in act2 is about as shitty as the loot I get in act1 with 265MF. Haven't really been farming in act 2 yet though, just progressing. Average item level does appear to be a bit higher, less lvl 54/55 rares.

Hmm what people think about HC playing with DH ?

I wonder if inferno would be possible with build like this:

1h crossbow + shield

and as one of passives - the one which gives discipline points for critical hits.

That way it should be possible to have Shadow Power nearly all the time.

Or maybe 2x 1h crossbows with crit dmg and LoH.

I'd still have to say it's a bug. The odds of finding two of the same item off of the same monster are so minute that the alternative boggles my mind.

Yea maybe. They didn't drop off the same monster, but rather the same group I was fighting (all those little spiders + others in the Heart of Sin quest). They both dropped within 10 seconds of each other. The probably of it happening is amazingly low.

Izcarielo

Banned
I just got this in Act 2

146 dex
148 vitality
20% IAS
7.5% crit chance
1.10 hate regen

How much would you say this is worth in the EU RMAH?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Finally got around to beating Diablo on Hell. Wasn't really a challenge. Yet here I am, struggling with even a single Risen. It's almost incompressible how poorly balanced this game is.

Indeed. When first announced, Inferno sounded awesome, but over time I think they lost sight of what it was supposed to be (an optional area for the hardcore of the hardcore to play in), and instead just made it yet another difficulty level just like all the others. Completely redundant and boring. The Normal->Inferno progression experience could be repackaged in Normal->Hell and nothing would change.

Now players are compelled to complete Inferno in order to "beat" the game, but get slammed into the difficulty wall, frustrating the non-hardcore group. Instead of players going from beginning to end feeling like they grow more powerful, the sense of power growth is completely changed to make the player feel like they regress in strength.

Not wise.

Can anybody, in a nutshell, tell me what's wrong with this game? I'm still on normal mode, I'm having a great time, but it seems like all the 60 people fucking hate this game, but they keep playing it.

I'm having trouble figuring out if the complaints are valid, if I should adjust my expectations going into everything etc. Just want to know what to expect. I'm not hardcore. I'm enjoying the game but I wasn't a person who played Diablo II for 12 years like other folks.

syllogism

Can anybody, in a nutshell, tell me what's wrong with this game? I'm still on normal mode, I'm having a great time, but it seems like all the 60 people fucking hate this game, but they keep playing it.

I'm having trouble figuring out if the complaints are valid, if I should adjust my expectations going into everything etc. Just want to know what to expect. I'm not hardcore. I'm enjoying the game but I wasn't a person who played Diablo II for 12 years like other folks.
There is nothing wrong with it unless you expected to play it for months and months. Grinding just gets boring and for some inferno is too frustratingly difficult.

ccbfan

The game is actually really fun from 1-60.

I pretty much quit playing this game like a loot whore and started playing it like an action rpg.

There's enough variety in the skills that you can pretty much finish hell before you tried everything. Also the pacing is fantastic. When you finish hell your level will probably be like 56-59.

I was easily able to gear my character with whatever I want and they were mostly under 10 K since low level stuff is really cheap in the AH. Only thing I spent over 100K on was a low lev req ilvl 63 weapon. Barbarian is hilariously fun doing over 10000 dps at level 44.

You need to put effort and glorious loot isn't given to you every 5 minutes.

When you enter Inferno for the first time (and the next few times) without gearing up through the AH, wearing the ~level 35 gear that you used to beat Hell: Every trash mob has a real chance to kill you, elites will haunt you in your dreams, you'll find out exactly how many seconds are added to the resurrection counter each time you die, you'll see new HUD pictures you've never seen before (hint: upper right, in dull yellow and OMG red).

Maybe twenty hours later, once you're playing the game they want you to play (AH), you'll be the king of Act 1, everything's good, time to move on. When you start Act 2, see above.

Rufus

You need to put effort and glorious loot isn't given to you every 5 minutes.
I wouldn't call it effort. Grinding is always pointless to some extent, but here it feels even more pointless for some reason. The loot needs to be perfect to be good, as absurd as it sounds.

Yeah, MF switching. What makes you say that there wont be any bans?
The hotkey stuff has been going on for some time and nothings been done with it yet in terms of bans even though streamers and youtube people show themselves using it. As well, it's a pretty lightweight thing to be doing. You aren't hacking the game or using bots or anything, just basically using a shortcut to get a little more MF. The drawback is that you'll have to keep that stuff in your inventory which at least for me I would think is a bit of a pain.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think the people who made D3 just don't have any idea what made the D2 endgame so good. D3 is a great game, but the endgame is supershit, and that's kind of a big deal since it's fucking Diablo. The endgame in D3 is like endlessly walking along a beach with a metal detector, and every couple years or so you find about two fiddy.

The hotkey stuff has been going on for some time and nothings been done with it yet in terms of bans even though streamers and youtube people show themselves using it. As well, it's a pretty lightweight thing to be doing. You aren't hacking the game or using bots or anything, just basically using a shortcut to get a little more MF. The drawback is that you'll have to keep that stuff in your inventory which at least for me I would think is a bit of a pain.
Fair enough. I think I like it quite a bit (it's actually sort of an extra challenge, at least whilst my MF gear has so little damage) so I guess I'll stick with it. If I get banned then it's not a major loss in the end really.

koji

To hell with all this negative talk, I just sold my first item on the EU RMAH, fuck yeah!

Can't even remember what it was and I didn't screenshot it!

rmahsale1.JPG

Pop a bottle of Bollinger cause tonight I'm celebrating!! Bet the missus is going to be so proud of this new source of income!

Also, exclamation marks!

syllogism

I think the people who made D3 just don't have any idea what made the D2 endgame so good. D3 is a great game, but the endgame is supershit, and that's kind of a big deal since it's fucking Diablo. The endgame in D3 is like endlessly walking along a beach with a metal detector, and every couple years or so you find about two fiddy.
D2 has no endgame, it's just doing same boring run over and over again and 99.999% of everything you get that isn't a legendary is crap. The only good thing about loot grinding in d2 is that the runs were really short.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
If D2 has no endgame, then I guess D3 has like, negative endgame or something, because in its current state D3 isn't gonna keep a playerbase for the long term the way that D2 did.

Grinding for items was just a means to an end in D2. There's way, way more shit to do and reasons to play long-term compared to D3.

linsivvi

If you treat this like any other action RPG then you'll be fine with it.

If you expect it to be a game that you can play for years and years, like its predecessor, then once you've reached Inferno you'll quickly find out how lacking it is. Not only does it fall short of some of the end game and item features of modern loot games, it is a step back from D2.

One of the reasons why people keep playing is because the genre has been largely dormant for a long time. There just aren't that many loot games on the market right now and even less if you only count games in isometric views. Imagine if Diablo was a FPS franchise people would just stop playing it since there are always handfuls of quality FPS that comes out every year.

If D2 has no endgame, then I guess D3 has like, negative endgame or something, because in its current state D3 isn't gonna keep a playerbase for the long term the way that D2 did.

Grinding for items was just a means to an end in D2. There's way, way more shit to do and reasons to play long-term compared to D3.

Means to what end ?

To finish Mephisto run in 2 seconds less or to kill 0.5 more cows per minute ?

Or means to force people to spent 100hours leveling character because they want to try new build or placed 1 point of atribute wrongly ?

Switftlame

Neo Member
Means to what end ?

To finish Mephisto run in 2 seconds less or to kill 0.5 more cows per minute ?

Or means to force people to spent 100hours leveling character because they want to try new build or placed 1 point of atribute wrongly ?

you could get to level 90 in under 10 hours with a rush and uber leveling>< and if u checked d2 recently they added 3 free respecs

I never really got into Diablo II's end game. What's so different with this one, comparatively?

I never really got into Diablo II's end game. What's so different with this one, comparatively?

Diablo 2 didn't have an endgame. You just kept grinding to get better gear, but you had finished the game long before that. Diablo 3 end game is supposed to be Inferno, the difficulty that takes a long time to beat. The problem is, the loot itemization is pretty messed up so the odds of getting good loot are very very low. Which means you have to grind a lot more to get good gear and beat Inferno. The poor loot itemization is one of the reasons why Inferno is turning out to be such a huge challenge for most people. And then some people are just pissed that Inferno is too hard because they couldn't beat it within 2 weeks of the game releasing.

Diablo 3's endgame would be exactly the same as diablo 2's endgame if you took out inferno mode and just made people run hell non stop at a miniscule chance of getting the worthwhile items that drop.

Really there was like maybe 10 to 15 actual drops in d2 endgame that would make me stop and say oh hey, I got something worthwhile. The issue with D3 endgame is simply itemization being off and they are already working towards fixing that.

Outside of some itemization issues its practically the same thing when it comes to endgame, you are just farming harder content in inferno then you were in hell.

Radec

Haven't played DII's Hell but is DII's Hell much harder than DIII's ?

If you take AH out, do you guys think DIII's Hell would be alot harder?

Haven't played DII's Hell but is DII's Hell much harder than DIII's ?

If you take AH out, do you guys think DIII's Hell would be alot harder?

D3's hell is pretty much the same difficulty, I mean outside of a couple very select monster types D2 hell was extremely easy just like D3's version.

I think one of the big underlying issues is that they tryed to make it hard at all. At least in my opinion difficulty isn't what I play a loot game for, I play them for mindless hack and slash with a in depth item system at its core.

True difficulty in a game requires skill based mechanic avoidance and that is simply unrealistic in a isometric point and click game with such a massive focus on randomness and numbers.

As for the AH, Hell still isn't hard with 100% personally found loot and no AH use. The AH doesn't really start to effect the game until inferno.

Celegus

I'd say D2's hell mode is definitely harder, and it would actually be pretty tough in D3 without the AH. I got stuck in Act 3 hell on my first character until I finally used the AH for the first time and then breezed through it.

In D2, the main source of difficulty came from enemies immune to certain elements, and not having enough resistance of a certain type myself. In D3, you just sort of hit a brick wall where every enemy is too hard and you need higher stats.

I'd say D2's hell mode is definitely harder, and it would actually be pretty tough in D3 without the AH. I got stuck in Act 3 hell on my first character until I finally used the AH for the first time and then breezed through it.

In D2, the main source of difficulty came from enemies immune to certain elements, and not having enough resistance of a certain type myself. In D3, you just sort of hit a brick wall where every enemy is too hard and you need higher stats.

Monster immunities and resists really were only issues at the very start of hell if you hadn't properly planned out your character and its gear.

It was really easy, even moreso post exspansion to max out resists at 75 in hell and beyond that there were numerous easy to find items that provided elemental absorb.

Once synergies came around and totally broke the game immunities were also no longer even the slightest of issues unless you messed up your skill allocation.

Celegus

Monster immunities and resists really were only issues at the very start of hell if you hadn't properly planned out your character and its gear.

It was really easy, even moreso post exspansion to max out resists at 75 in hell and beyond that there were numerous easy to find items that provided elemental absorb.

Once synergies came around and totally broke the game immunities were also no longer even the slightest of issues unless you messed up your skill allocation.

Hm, guess that was just my experience with it. I never played online, usually just LAN. So we only used what we found, and didn't pay super close attention to stat/skill points. Those were the two things that always messed me up though.

Hm, guess that was just my experience with it. I never played online, usually just LAN. So we only used what we found, and didn't pay super close attention to stat/skill points. Those were the two things that always messed me up though.

Ah yeah, It could be rough if you got unlucky with drops or messed up skill / stat allocation, but when comparing its difficulty to d3 I find it most helpful to assume correct build / stat allocation as that isn't a deterrent for d3.

At that point you really just need to get your resists up, in which you could sacrifice large amounts of damage for in d2 and still clear stuff very quickly. Probably the only legitimately difficult encounters in hell for d2 were duriel if slightly undergeared, the claw vipers if you let them swarm you, nihilathak's corpse explosion and the lightning shooter guys in the last part of act 5.

I'm not at the point where farming is more efficient for me in Act III, but it's so much more fun than farming Act II VotA over and over.

Switching my build to MoC was an interesting cross for me playstyle wise. Firechains all of a sudden became an affix I had to worry about when moving away from MoE lol.

I'm just digging the playstyle more right now. I'm running

Crippling Wave > Concussion
Lashing Tail Kick > Sweeping Armada
MoC > Overwave
Breath of Heaven > Blazing Wrath
Serenity > Asension
Sweeping Wind > Firestorm
Resolve > Sieze > One with Everthing

Super fun. I hve my base DPS up to 30.5K too. Dual wielding w/ 1000 LOH and 150% Crit DMG with 20% crit chance and still have 1.97 APS. I'm working on getting crit chance up more and also more armor / resists. It's expensive, but a much more entertaining way of playing then the dodge build I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom