• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

koji

Are we really sure that higher act doesn't increase quality of items ?

I think i found most of my items that were sellable for >500k in act2.

Man, I've been asking myself that same question over and over. High MF is supposed to be better but it doesn't really "feel" worth it if I compare the drop quality to drops I get on my a2 farming runs. (I had to empty my bag 3 times on my last a1 farming run and had to vendor everything...)

I'm torn between the two :lol

Serious firstworldproblems!

Guess the solution is high MF gear for a2 farming, but you might as well just invest in a3 progress gear, etc etc etc etc...

eek5

Man, I've been asking myself that same question over and over. High MF is supposed to be better but it doesn't really "feel" worth it if I compare the drop quality to drops I get on my a2 farming runs. (I had to empty my bag 3 times on my last a1 farming run and had to vendor everything...)

I'm torn between the two :lol

Serious firstworldproblems!

Guess the solution is high MF gear for a2 farming, but you might as well just invest in a3 progress gear, etc etc etc etc...

Well, the % drops in iL61,62,63 etc. are accurate so the best way to figure out if A1 or A2 is better for you is to measure you rare/mins over a series of runs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is just another example of how the magic find system is bogus.

It encourages players to go on two separate gear paths without any clear goals with the result being a reduction in the diversity of gameplay experience. The risk/reward path gets muddled in the process.

In order to maintain a decent loot reward a player generally must farm easy content with high magic find, or farm harder content with low magic find. Once locked into a particular gear path (low power high MF, or high power low MF), it's difficult to move from one to the other which results in the player endlessly farming the same act over and over again (act 1 or 2 for high MF characters, or act 3 for low MF characters).

Having players be able to access a variety of content that is custom tailored to an acceptable difficulty with an appropriately set and satisfying reward would be a much better approach.

I'm repeating stuff I said during beta, but oh well.

Well, the % drops in iL61,62,63 etc. are accurate so the best way to figure out if A1 or A2 is better for you is to measure you rare/mins over a series of runs.

Well that's only number of rares per time.

Which doesn't even scratch the question if items from higher act have higher rolls.

And that is impossible to measure because you would need thousands of runs to compare.

koji

This is just another example of how the magic find system is bogus.

It encourages players to go on two separate gear paths without any clear goals with the result being a reduction in the diversity of gameplay experience. The risk/reward path gets muddled in the process.

In order to maintain a decent loot reward a player generally must farm easy content with high magic find, or farm harder content with low magic find. Once locked into a particular gear path (low power high MF, or high power low MF), it's difficult to move from one to the other which results in the player endlessly farming the same act over and over again (act 1 or 2 for high MF characters, or act 3 for low MF characters).

Having players be able to access a variety of content that is custom tailored to an acceptable difficulty with an appropriately set and satisfying reward would be a much better approach.

I'm repeating stuff I said during beta, but oh well.

It's a great way to drag that "huge" amount of content they have even more though!

edit: just got another setpiece, second in 2 days, blowing all my luck again, blackthorns belt, looks pretty shitty! in A2, with just 5stacks and no bonus MF :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's a great way to drag that "huge" amount of content they have even more though!

I dunno about that. If anything it seems like it restricts the content that is reasonably farmable.

If you have MF gear, you're pretty much stuck in act 2 since act 3 takes too long. If you have good stat gear, you're pretty much stuck in act 3 since the lower acts don't give you as much good stuff.

Getting to the point where you have both good stats and good MF is pretty costly and would just be the result of endlessly running act 2 or act 3 depending on which gear path you fall into.

They worked so hard to deemphasize repeated runs of the same content that they carefully designed the game to....do repeated runs of the same content.

lol

eek5

Which doesn't even scratch the question if items from higher act have higher rolls.

And that is impossible to measure because you would need thousands of runs to compare.

No, you don't have a higher chance of more properties in higher acts.

koji

Getting to the point where you have both good stats and good MF is pretty costly and would just be the result of endlessly running act 2 or act 3 depending on which gear path you fall into.

They worked so hard to deemphasize repeated runs of the same content that they carefully designed the game to....do repeated runs of the same content.

lol

:lol

Guess the bolded part is what it always comes down to isn't it :)

I wonder what they are going to do with those setpieces and legendarys in my bank, are they going to be "changed" as well when 1.04 launches? Heck they nerfed my items in my bank (IAS), they might as well buff them! (fat chance) Or return them to unidentified state of something? Just talking out of my ass here but that would be cool.

eek5

:lol

Guess the bolded part is what it always comes down to isn't it :)

I wonder what they are going to do with those setpieces and legendarys in my bank, are they going to be "changed" as well when 1.04 launches? Heck they nerfed my items in my bank (IAS), they might as well buff them! (fat chance)

No, legendary buff is not going to be retroactive.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh, sad panda :-(

Guess I might as well salvage them and sell the parts...

Whenever we find legendaries, the comments from my party usually are, "oooo that'll make a pretty brimstone"

:/

Just be sure to double check the lowest price of any legendaries you are about to salvage. If they are above the price of a brimstone, then sell it on the AH instead.

koji

Not sure what they were thinking when they added those... Don't tell me that they didn't know they were crap...

I still get excited when I see something brown or green drop though but it's always such an anti-climax.

Stupid videogame!

V_Arnold

Not sure what they were thinking when they added those... Don't tell me that they didn't know they were crap...

I still get excited when I see something brown or green drop though but it's always such an anti-climax.

Stupid videogame!

You could instead laugh with joy since any lv60+ legendary you find is an instant 100k BONUS that you recieve, since a Fiery Brimstone is currently worth around that much.

But of course, one could instead rage about them, that is so much more beneficial, I guess :p

koji

I always think

YES I NEVER HAVE TO WORK AGAIN IN MY LIFE EVER!!!1

and then I identify it and it's this;

inferno_act1_kutloot.jpg

scy

There's no way that anyone rational actually thought some of those Legendary weapons were actually good. I refuse to believe that.

Geeker

There's no way that anyone rational actually thought some of those Legendary weapons were actually good. I refuse to believe that.

Especially when they also put them online during the beta and the same complaints were made...

Also, when it was announced that everything is based off weapon damage, was there a backlash on this? it seems to me now that that was one of the major mistakes made that makes it hard to really fix all the problems people have with the game

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You could instead laugh with joy since any lv60+ legendary you find is an instant 100k BONUS that you recieve, since a Fiery Brimstone is currently worth around that much.

But of course, one could instead rage about them, that is so much more beneficial, I guess :p
Not really, 100k is chump change. And that's only if you roll an ilvl61+ legendary. Anything less than that is vendor trash with very few exceptions. Be thankful that you can salvage a super rare item for 100k? No thanks. it doesn't have an appropriate value (in terms of both gold and utility) relative to its rarity.

I used to think that. Nowadays, not so much.

Posting this link again (from 8 months before release)

http://diablo3markets.incgamers.com/blog/comments/is-the-beloved-item-system-in-trouble

bashiok said:
Item data we’ve exposed is by and large placeholder, and we seriously considered taking all of it down due reactions like these. We thought it’d be cool get the website database up and running with some items in very temporary states, but it’s just a matter of fact that people are going to take it at face value. We ultimately decided that taking it down would be a disservice to our site since the placeholder data is already out there, among the tubes. We did throw giant TEMP DATA & ART disclaimers on every item, both in watermarks and giant warnings above and below each item, but as we expected (and this thread shows) it does little to keep people from freaking out.

bashiok said:
if I can dispel any and all concerns by simply stating “Items will have more interesting and diverse stats than what is currently shown on the website.”

I’m not going to, partially because I don’t believe I truly hold the power to allay all fears, but also because as I explained affix diversity will be determined by our desire to get the game out the door. Quite likely we will have more, but maybe we’ll have less!!! :O

All I can do is express our intent and desire.

bashiok said:
I’d say affixes are though one area where we want to do as much as possible by game release, but they are directly limited by when we want to finally get the game out the door. At some point feature creep has to stop, and we have to begin testing what should be (game mechanic-wise) a final product.

Baffling how they made the same mistake twice.

Geeker

It makes me sad to think what this game could be if the beta was the whole game. Of course it could have been for fewer people with nda to protect the plot (which turned out to be hilariously bad anyway).

And if they didnt have time to fix the legendaries for 8 months i guess 1.04 will come out in 2014?

scy

Also, when it was announced that everything is based off weapon damage, was there a backlash on this? it seems to me now that that was one of the major mistakes made that makes it hard to really fix all the problems people have with the game

Honestly, the system isn't that bad. They just needed to do more with basically everything else. Have Gems be a larger part of your overall gear. Rune upgrades (be it via crafting or as a drop or whatever). More pertinent Skill bonuses. Damage baseline requirements isn't such a bad thing if a lot more of the system was tailored to respect that.

I used to think that. Nowadays, not so much.

:|

Rufus

I can only assume that whoever was responsible for the ranges on those didn't ever talk to the guy who set the ranges on rares. But thinking back on the Inferno builds some of their programmers showed off on PC Gamer and the exploitable chests and all the gold that used to be in urns just makes me think they are massively out of touch...

You don't get higher rolls in higher acts, it's strictly the percent chance of the ilvl 61/62/63 being higher at least when referring to Inferno.

MF does affect your potential chance for more affixes(according to Blizzaard) which is something I didn't realize before so at least in my head, what Act you try to farm should be determined by how effectively you can kill while at the same time having some gear on.

Does MF do double duty though and affect whether the drops are blue/yellow?

scosher

Ever since that blog post about MF gear swapping changes, I've spent over 25 million on an MF progression set. The real expensive pieces are good gloves with MF on them. Those cost 10M on their own, while most of the other armor pieces cost about 1-3M (my chest piece with 120 Int, 120 Vit, 60 +res, 200 LPS, and 16% MF cost me 2.5M for example). It's also near impossible to find a good MF progression helm without breaking the bank, simply because there's too many stats you need (MF plus a socket, primary stat, +res, crit chance, and for wizards, AP on crit). But I did find a helm with 16% MF and a socket, 140 Int, some Vit, and 4% crit for only 500k.

Not even sure why I bother since I hardly actually play the game besides the AH lol.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Honestly, the system isn't that bad.
Yeah, overall it's a decent system as it is currently implemented, with some flaws. I don't like how it makes DPS the overwhelmingly most important stat on your weapon, and it can also be argued that the system is what led to stats like attack speed have too much of an impact on your character's performance.

and trying to improve that with life x spirit combined?? not viable?
It's just that the tempest rush damage is kinda low, so it's only useful if you can kill the mobs in one or two passes. Otherwise it's not that time efficient.

You don't get higher rolls in higher acts, it's strictly the percent chance of the ilvl 61/62/63 being higher at least when referring to Inferno.

MF does affect your potential chance for more affixes(according to Blizzaard) which is something I didn't realize before so at least in my head, what Act you try to farm should be determined by how effectively you can kill while at the same time having some gear on.

Does MF do double duty though and affect whether the drops are blue/yellow?
MF gives you the potential chance for more affixes, but that's just because you're gonna get more rares overall so of course the chance that you roll a 6-prop item goes up too.

MF increases the likelihood that an item drop is a higher tier (white -> blue -> yellow -> orange)

Sarcasm

I have hit a wall. I can't really do inferno act 1 and I did spend upgrades a@ ah..I only have 100K too..dunno how the hell you guys make money..if its grinding hell..than I am done with this game. Doesn't need to be like work and/or an mmo type thing.

koji

I have hit a wall. I can't really do inferno act 1 and I did spend upgrades a@ ah..I only have 100K too..dunno how the hell you guys make money..if its grinding hell..than I am done with this game. Doesn't need to be like work and/or an mmo type thing.

What class are you playing Sarcasm? You don't need that much expensive gear to be able to do a1 inferno. You're going to need some money though, 300/400k.

Mainstat + vit + all resist is pretty cheap atm and that works for a1 inferno. Once you can do a1 inferno it's grinding hell though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

class/build?

What's your dps, armor, and resists at?

I cannot understand how people can't make money in this game when even running act 3 hell with 5 stacks NV gives you around 100k/h.

Cipherr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKEGQeoy6YQ&feature=g-all-u

Kripp nailed a lot of problems with the game in this rant he put up yesterday. Especially the point he made about Multiplayer not being attractive in Inferno. That is such an epic failure man.

I know that the scaling is 145% HP, and that supposedly if you have 4 people you should easily cleave through it assuming everyone is pulling their weight because 145% for four people is less than 400% for 4 people, but I think we all know it doesn't work like that. Its slower, even when Kripps crazily geared team goes at it in 4 player its all still slower than them just individually soloing the Act.

Increase HP scaling needs to go, just wipe it out the same way they did damage scaling. 4 player teams would eat through packs, but why worry about it? The percentage chance of getting great loot is in the toilet anyway, and multiplayer should be a no brainer over soloing.

MF gives you the potential chance for more affixes, but that's just because you're gonna get more rares overall so of course the chance that you roll a 6-prop item goes up too.

MF increases the likelihood that an item drop is a higher tier (white -> blue -> yellow -> orange)
Blizzard posted something recently(don't have a link) that explained how MF directly can affect the affixes. The example was something along the lines of that for the actual number of affixes it goes down the list of 6 affixes down to 5 to 4 etc until you get the successful roll.

So if the item had a 2% chance of 6 affixes, a 100% MF would give you a 4% chance. If that missed, then it would go to let's say a 5% chance for 5 affixes which that same 100% MF would bump to 10% chance all the way down the line.

EDIT: Oh and your last sentence there also confirms what I was thinking. I believe that MF still affects the chances of blue/yellow/orange/green? dropping to begin with as well.

Geeker

Yeah, overall it's a decent system as it is currently implemented, with some flaws. I don't like how it makes DPS the overwhelmingly most important stat on your weapon, and it can also be argued that the system is what led to stats like attack speed have too much of an impact on your character's performance.

I guess it would work better with some improvements, but right now i just find it so stupid that a wizard will go with a gigantic mace if it has the highest dps which is unintuitive compared to d2 where a big weapon has high weapon damage while smaller weapons have less weapon damage while on the other hand have other properties that boosts spell damage and mana regen etc

scosher

Blizzard posted something recently(don't have a link) that explained how MF directly can affect the affixes. The example was something along the lines of that for the actual number of affixes it goes down the list of 6 affixes down to 5 to 4 etc until you get the successful roll.

So if the item had a 2% chance of 6 affixes, a 100% MF would give you a 4% chance. If that missed, then it would go to let's say a 5% chance for 5 affixes which that same 100% MF would bump to 10% chance all the way down the line.

Probably referring to this on D3's main website:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment#magic-find

Although, this indepth forum post has written that Blizz' guide is partially wrong, since there are no 1, 2, or 3-affix rares.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/579...ind-and-its-efficiency-a-statistical-insight/

Scroll down to 1.3.8 of that guide, and it seems like MF would affect the number of affixes you roll on rares (as well as blues). It doesn't affect how high of a roll you get on that affix, or which affixes you get (although from my personal history, Blizz's RNG seems to like to troll us with increased pickup radius and thorns a lot).

Probably referring to this on D3's main website:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment#magic-find

Although, this indepth forum post has written that Blizz' guide is partially wrong, since there are no 1, 2, or 3-affix rares.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/579...ind-and-its-efficiency-a-statistical-insight/

Scroll down to 1.3.8 of that guide, and it seems like MF would affect the number of affixes you roll on rares (as well as blues). It doesn't affect how high of a roll you get on that affix, or which affixes you get (although from my personal history, Blizz's RNG seems to like to troll us with increased pickup radius and thorns a lot).
Yup this all makes sense to me. The fact that you hit 6 affixes still doesn't mean they'll actually be useful and even if you do hit useful ones, it's still random on whether they'll be high rolls. It really isn't easy to get godly gear, go figure. :)

koji

My resists are low. like lowest is 300 with shout. I am a barbarian. I have like 15K DPS and 8K armor. This is also my build

http://i.minus.com/ibrfjwa003UiSP.jpg

Have a look at this post mate, it might help you out, you'll still need some money to invest in it though -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39655219&postcount=16352

Oh dear that's some fine quality theorycrafting right there, I'll have to put my best geekhat on before continuing reading!

Heh ... that xbow sold for 20 million and I got a new weapon and some bracers. My DPS after breath of heaven is 39.5K.

What's the damage modifier for MoC again?

Realyn

My resists are low. like lowest is 300 with shout. I am a barbarian. I have like 15K DPS and 8K armor. This is also my build

ibrfjwa003UiSP.jpg

I'm sorry but I do NOT feel sorry for you.

On my first HC Barb I cleared A1 Inferno with 700 resists/600 LoH and 5k DPS. Live with your glass cannon build. YOU chose to buy dmg items on the AH, but good that you are crying about "I'm done if I have to farm Hell".

Edit: also why no Charge or Jump ?

IlludiumQ36

Speaking of magic find, Resplendent Chests should be treated like Treasure Goblins with respect to MF/NV. I understand nerfing armor racks and normal chests. RC's are far less plentiful and accessible.

*DISCLAIMER:
Author of this post has not seen a rare drop from a RC in a long, long time :(

Ashhong

A Blizzard exec is a client of my family's law firm and he says PvP is coming "soon" lol. Also said Bliz are aiming for quick expansion releases, so take that as you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom