• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

windz

So, lets say I get a whole 70 Bliz Bucks, and buy the Australian Version of SC2. How gimped is my version? I am in the US mind you.

I believe the AUS copy of SC2 is the same as the North America one. You shouldn't have any problems afaik.

Blizzard either got better at filtering "sold" items out of the RMAH search results, or nothing is selling today :P

You think that guy that dopped 250 on a storm shield yesterday just got buyers remorse as he walked into act II/III inferno and still got rocked???

People have a set amount their willing to pay for their gaming pleasure. The RMAH had nothing to do BUT slow down after it started.

BigDug13

You know, most people can't afford the $100 a month to own a smartphone.

Frankly, even the $50 a month to own a dumbphone is about $40 too much.

You also don't have to get the latest and greatest smart phone either. I can pick up someone's used iphone 4 on Craigslist for $200 then put any plan I want to on it. I can go straight data and use textnow app for SMS/MMS and Skype for phone calls. That's like $30 per month.

LordCanti

You think that guy that dopped 250 on a storm shield yesterday just got buyers remorse as he walked into act II/III inferno and still got rocked???

People have a set amount their willing to pay for their gaming pleasure. The RMAH had nothing to do BUT slow down after it started.

One of my higher priced items just sold. I jinxed the universe in a good way when I said that nothing was selling.

Now my character doesn't have any main armor but...I don't care...I'm on the way to the game having paid for itself twice.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I feel like I'm about fucking done with this horrendous disappointment of a fucking game. I got my WD to 60, but lolact2inferno is a pain in the ass, and ive been leveling a monk but now I'm at act 2 hell and have hit what feels like an even worse brick wall. I'm getting absolutely fucking destroyed by anything past the Dahlgur Oasis and have no idea what I can do about it, because no change of skills will prevent fucking snakes and guardians from 2 shotting me.

Am I a bad person? I was farming Act 3 siegebreaker with a random guy earlier. He got a belt drop and asked me if it was good:

6KYh7.jpg

I told him that yea it was actually amazing. Upon looking at my own belt, I saw that they were quite similar, but I would prefer the armor over the resist. Granted his was definitely better, but mine was still really good and they were at least pretty close.

jTk3Y.jpg

I asked if he'd do a straight even trade. He told me that instead of trade he'd rather just sell it to me for 100k gold because he needed cash. Knowing that this was quite valuable, I actually felt kind of bad. I offered him 150k to be nice.

I equipped the one he sold me and put mine up for sale.

Voit9.jpg

So am I a bad person?

Zyzyxxz

Man I feel like I'm about fucking done with this horrendous disappointment of a fucking game. I got my WD to 60, but lolact2inferno is a pain in the ass, and ive been leveling a monk but now I'm at act 2 hell and have hit what feels like an even worse brick wall. I'm getting absolutely fucking destroyed by anything past the Dahlgur Oasis and have no idea what I can do about it, because no change of skills will prevent fucking snakes and guardians from 2 shotting me.

Hopefully patch 1.03 helps. I can't get past the Oasis too those fucking serpents are annoying as hell.

Am I a bad person? I was farming Act 3 siegebreaker with a random guy earlier. He got a belt drop and asked me if it was good:

Voit9.jpg

So am I a bad person?

There's an example in business ethics they teach business students. If you were in the middle of nowhere and ran across an old man selling an antique which he thought was junk but you knew was worth something, are you morally obligated to let him know that it's valuable and offer a fair price for it? Now in this day and age we have to assume most people have access to information which gives everyone equal opportunity to a fair trade. So the old man might not have internet and thus have no access to information and therein lies the moral dilemma. This guy could have done his own research but he was too lazy and thought his time was probably more valuable. He happily handed over quick gold for a fast transaction so I wouldn't sweat it.

zlatko

Banned

Well, what IS your skill set, and post your stats. I faired fine with my Monk all the way to Act 2 inferno, and didn't have to spend money on the AH to get items until I made it to Act 1 inferno to just do some minor upgrades.

DTKT

6KYh7.jpg

I told him that yea it was actually amazing. Upon looking at my own belt, I saw that they were quite similar, but I would prefer the armor over the resist. Granted his was definitely better, but mine was still really good and they were at least pretty close.

jTk3Y.jpg

I asked if he'd do a straight even trade. He told me that instead of trade he'd rather just sell it to me for 100k gold because he needed cash. Knowing that this was quite valuable, I actually felt kind of bad. I offered him 150k to be nice.

I equipped the one he sold me and put mine up for sale.

Voit9.jpg

So am I a bad person?

Honestly, yeah. That's a pretty shitty thing to do.

DTKT

You aren't responsible for other people knowing what their drops are worth. Having said that, were it a friend of yours and you did it, I'd have said yes.

A random though? No. If he asked for 100k and you gave it to him, it's his problem.

I guess that if you have no empathy, honesty or compassion, it's an okay thing to do.

You aren't responsible for other people knowing what their drops are worth. Having said that, were it a friend of yours and you did it, I'd have said yes.

A random though? No. If he asked for 100k and you gave it to him, it's his problem.

I actually gave him more than what he asked. It was some dude who had been shouting in general chat earlier, and later I saw him actually sounding kind of douchey saying stuff like what he was going to do to other peoples' moms, and yea.. the kind of shit you see in general chat and say "oh gawd, why am I in this channel'.

But part of me still feels bad, lol. Maybe if it sells I'll give him a good DH drop that I find.

Vodh

Am I a bad person?

So am I a bad person?

That's the reason I never did any trading in Diablo 2 without checking prices on some forums before, because I was pretty sure I'd run an asshole like that. And since I didn't really like the whole forum metagame I usually just checked on chat or sth. But yeah, for his sake I really hope he won't check prices of similar gear on AH afterwards. I know I would just out of curiosity and I'd feel like shit after I learned what just happened.

Edit: Tho it would've been much worse if he asked you what you thought it was worth and you said 100k - if he jumped out with the 100k by himself then I guess that makes it pretty much ok (and his fault entirely). The way you describe it, it's just his fault for not knowing what shit might be worth. And I mean, a guy who just destroyed the siegebreaker wears a similar one and it's an upgrade for him, does this guy honestly believe you can get a siegebreaker farm worthy gear for 100k a piece?

LordCanti

I guess that if you have no empathy, honesty or compassion, it's an okay thing to do.

Would you pass up a deal like that on the auction house? Why is it different if someone offers you that deal face to face? O_O

As far as honesty goes, he says he told the random that it was valuable. Then the random offered it to him for 100k. It sounds like that hurdle was overcome.

About to go out, so no SS for proof here, but my Paypal transaction went through.

I am officially a Diablo funded dollaraire with the hefty balance of $3.82.

:p

Congrats :D

Welcome to the dollaraire's club. We have...well...we have modestly priced finger foods and best choice cola.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Am I a bad person?

Only if it was a friend, if it was a random naive dude you're just an opportunist. Also that belt you got from him is worth a ton on RMAH. I mean insane str, vit, and fire (best) resist along with the all resist, AND + armor. That is just a fucking godly belt.

*Jumps on train*

I put up some bullshit items that I would have vendored onto the RMAH yesterday. Three of them sold today! Feel rich with my $23. Half an expansion woo!

That's the reason I never did any trading in Diablo 2 without checking prices on some forums before, because I was pretty sure I'd run an asshole like that. And since I didn't really like the whole forum metagame I usually just checked on chat or sth. But yeah, for his sake I really hope he won't check prices of similar gear on AH afterwards. I know I would just out of curiosity and I'd feel like shit after I learned what just happened.

Edit: Tho it would've been much worse if he asked you what you thought it was worth and you said 100k - if he jumped out with the 100k by himself then I guess that makes it pretty much ok (and his fault entirely). The way you describe it, it's just his fault for not knowing what shit might be worth. And I mean, a guy who just destroyed the siegebreaker wears a similar one and it's an upgrade for him, does this guy honestly believe you can get a siegebreaker farm worthy gear for 100k a piece?

yea that's the thing, my request for an even trade was pretty reasonable and he undercut himself. /shrug, if we're farming together again and I get a nice DH drop I'll just pass it to him and call it a day. (well, depending how nice of a drop, there's always a limit, lol)

LordCanti

I just sold a really, really crappy low level legendary bracers for $10. Sweet. Thanks for buying!

I feel like it's just one eccentric billionaire buying all this crap. I've sold three items that I put up for crazy pie-in-the-sky prices when the RMAH just opened, and at least in the third case (that just happened), there were cheaper alternatives with the exact same stats. It doesn't make any sense to me at all, but I'm happy for the money.

Woo-Fu

Banned
After getting crap all day I did finally get something interesting. It is a fairly good upgrade over my "only use this weapon on reflect damage elites" weapon, or I could probably sell it for a bit of coin. Couldn't really decide what to socket, it already has enough LoH for reflect damage mobs and my crit chance is horribly low so I defaulted to a bit more base damage.

DoGFN.jpg

LordCanti

After getting crap all day I did finally get something interesting. It is a fairly good upgrade over my "only use this weapon on reflect damage elites" weapon, or I could probably sell it for a bit of coin.

I sold a very similar item for 2m. You've got the wrong gem in it though; Put a life on hit gem (ammy I think) in there, and people will go nutty for it even though the DPS is kind of low.

Edit: Mine was 669 DPS with less DEX, Vit, and LOH. So more than 2m maybe. Try the RMAH if you can.

A tank would eat that shit up. Honestly I'm using a 1k dps one hander with a 300 LoH gem and I'd flip my shit if I found a weapon like that and would use it in a hearbeat. Could probably sell it for way, way more than 2m

Yeah, if my 669 DPS one was 2m, that should fetch a lot more. I'd sell it for real money.

I sold a very similar item for 2m. You've got the wrong gem in it though; Put a life on hit gem (ammy I think) in there, and people will go nutty for it even though the DPS is kind of low.

A tank would eat that shit up. Honestly I'm using a 1k dps one hander with a 300 LoH gem and I'd flip my shit if I found a weapon like that and would use it in a hearbeat. Could probably sell it for way, way more than 2m

I'm thinking closer to 10m

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
After getting crap all day I did finally get something interesting. It is a fairly good upgrade over my "only use this weapon on reflect damage elites" weapon, or I could probably sell it for a bit of coin. Couldn't really decide what to socket, it already has enough LoH for reflect damage mobs and my crit chance is horribly low so I defaulted to a bit more base damage.

DoGFN.jpg

This weapon is worth a fuckload, gold or rmah. Even with the dps, don't get scammed. Like someone else said put a LoH gem in there for greater effect.

V_Arnold

So am I a bad person?

You are not a bad person because you know you did a shitty thing, but you need to hear that from others so that it sticks.

Sell that stuff, and give at least half of the profits to the guy. He has to be in your recent "played with" list. And even then, you are leeching gold off of his stuff.

Vodh

You are not a bad person because you know you did a shitty thing, but you need to hear that from others so that it sticks.

Sell that stuff, and give at least half of the profits to the guy. He has to be in your recent "played with" list. And even then, you are leeching gold off of his stuff.

The guy offered to sell it for said price. I think sharing a part of the profits would be a very nice thing to do, but I do think you're being a bit too hard on cpp_is_king ;p

LordCanti

dat LoH.
Over 1k with socket fffffff

I regret selling off the one I had. Probably would have fetched at least 20 bucks =/

Oh well. Didn't know the RMAH would actually come out when I did it. Honestly it probably would have gone for more than 2m, but the auction ended while the game was in maintenance for 8 hours -_- Friggin Blizzard.

I know I am much farther back than you guys, but I am struggling to beat Diablo on NORMAL because I've only been able to upgrade 2 pieces of armor since Act 2. No clue why they want to make the game completely unenjoyable...

They want you to use the AH. At that level, upgrades should only be a few thousand gold each.

I know what you mean though.

Seth C

I know I am much farther back than you guys, but I am struggling to beat Diablo on NORMAL because I've only been able to upgrade 2 pieces of armor since Act 2. No clue why they want to make the game completely unenjoyable...

The guy offered to sell it for said price. I think sharing a part of the profits would be a very nice thing to do, but I do think you're being a bit too hard on cpp_is_king ;p

Yeah part of the excitement in D2 for me was getting good deals. Bring an Um rune and walk out with a 200% HoZ or something. Also, swiping loot from people that were running you through Chaos Sanctuary. feelsgoodman.

It is okay to take advantage of people's item ignorance. You guys are acting like if I saw a guy just standing there in MW3 I should just leave him be since he isn't there to protect myself.

Come on, gaf. It's not like cpp stole money from the dude directly.

V_Arnold

Hard? I do not think so :D With posting what he posted, he is already leagues above those that do this on a routinely basis (sharking, hell yeah) without even blinking. I suggested a course of action that might get rid of any kind of remorse/feeling bad - because that is there for a reason. :p

Yeah part of the excitement in D2 for me was getting good deals. Bring an Um rune and walk out with a 200% HoZ or something. Also, swiping loop from people that were running you through Chaos Sanctuary. feelsgoodman.

It is okay to take advantage of people's item ignorance. You guys are acting like if I saw a guy just standing there in MW3 I should just leave him be since he isn't there to protect myself.

Come on, gaf. It's not like cpp stole money from the dude directly.

Thanks for offering this wonderful prespective to us, mate! Now we have a glimpse into the world when one just takes advantage of everything around him, cause that is what one has to do, right? Right?...

Also, shooting down your "opponents" in MW3 = trading in hack'n'slash games now? :D

How will gold sales work in the RMAH? Does the seller set their own price per million? There's some pretty wild descrepencies between the RMAH and the GAH with certain items.

LordCanti

How will gold sales work in the RMAH? Does the seller set their own price per million? There's some pretty wild descrepencies between the RMAH and the GAH with certain items.

You can set your own price, but Blizzard will only list the cheapest price at any given time.

So:

Player A lists gold for 50 cents per 100,000
Player B lists gold for 25 cents per 100,000
Player C wants to buy gold, and Blizzard shows him Player B's gold instead of Player A's.

If the price ever gets back to 50 cents per 100,000, Player A's gold would finally be listed for sale.

maharg

idspispopd

Did you play D2? Because the Act bosses in that were much harder and required far more grinding to get decent gear to fight.

That said, I don't think it's at all normal to need to do a lot of extra gearing up for Diablo in normal, and I definitely don't think it's normal to need the AH to do it. What level are you?

MrDaravon

I keep seeing people mention that Enchantress is the way to go for companions, is that still true even playing as a DH? I've been rocking Templar since that would seem to make the most sense.

Dahbomb

Swiping items off of randoms for dirt cheap is the best feeling in Diablo. It's calling playing the game right.

And for the record I never do this to friends, I even drop out free items from my stash for friends if it's an upgrade over their previous equipment.

scy

I keep seeing people mention that Enchantress is the way to go for companions, is that still true even playing as a DH? I've been rocking Templar since that would seem to make the most sense.

I'd say Scoundrel for the +10% Damage from Hysteria if you have enough crit between the two of you to keep it up. Templar is neat but he dies a lot and takes the most money to gear up for his role. Mine has 100k HP and a decent Shield and is barely better than a speedbump most of the time so I might as well get my Follower for buff utility or Damage.

Swiping items off of randoms for dirt cheap is the best feeling in Diablo. It's calling playing the game right.

And for the record I never do this to friends, I even drop out free items from my stash for friends if it's an upgrade over their previous equipment.

I've probably given away millions by now. But I'll buy deals when I see them for relisting later. It's only fair.

Thanks for offering this wonderful prespective to us, mate! Now we have a glimpse into the world when one just takes advantage of everything around him, cause that is what one has to do, right? Right?...

Also, shooting down your "opponents" in MW3 = trading in hack'n'slash games now? :D

It's gaming, it is part of it. I must not have been raised right. To be fair the guy that introduced me to D2 is a complete dick and some of his perspectives in to playing Diablo were passed down to me.

I believe in karma in gaming too though. So, I really don't do anything too bad. Just figured I'd toss up the other side of the story. Not all of us are Batman in an online community. Always a couple of jokers in the pack.

maharg

idspispopd

I think people are mostly talking about for barbs and monks. You want a ranged+AOE+buff to complement melee characters. For a DH, Templar should make more sense.

Also, the enchantress can turn enemies into chickens. This will never get old for me (though I do have it turned off right now).

Hard? I do not think so :D With posting what he posted, he is already leagues above those that do this on a routinely basis (sharking, hell yeah) without even blinking. I suggested a course of action that might get rid of any kind of remorse/feeling bad - because that is there for a reason. :p

Oh come on, if I was being malicious I would have asked him to sell it for a cheap price up front. I offered a fair trade and the thought of getting it for cheap hadn't even crossed my mind. He then said "you can have it for much less". I mean yea, it feels a little weird, but the way you're making it sound is like I scammed the guy. I straight up told him the item was amazing. It's not like he was clueless. I even offered to trade him an equally amazing item for it. In the end, he just wanted 100k, and I gave him 50% more than he asked.

LordCanti

It's gaming, it is part of it. I must not have been raised right. To be fair the guy that introduced me to D2 is a complete dick and some of his perspectives in to playing Diablo were passed down to me.

I believe in karma in gaming too though. So, I really don't do anything too bad. Just figured I'd toss up the other side of the story. Not all of us are Batman in an online community. Always a couple of jokers in the pack.

The jokers are the people that offer an Exalted Grand plan for sale, then try to sell you an Exalted Fine when you go to trade. Or the person that tries to swap out a really good Andariel's Visage for one with much lesser stats, hoping you won't notice. Or the person that tries to use the "take item out of trading window at the last second" script on you, and fails.

(these are all real scams people have tried to pull on me in D3)

Getting an offer to buy something from someone and then taking it is how this game is supposed to be played.

Yay! Got a Stormshield for my barb today doing Magdha, good roll too, 27% and socket.

Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom