• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

I think I'm just going to cash out on some of my tank-focused gear on my Barbarian. Slow-paced sword and board with a focus on survivability just isn't a lot of fun for me. Also, I imagine the time to sell shit like Helm of Command, Justice Lantern, and Stormshield are now, because I don't think they'll be as valued after 1.0.3.

I'm going to see what I can get for them and go back to a raw-stat and DPS focused 2-hand build, I think. I know I can continue to farm Act 1 reliably with that build at least, and 1.0.3 shouldn't be too far away.

DPS builds are the manliest way to play Barbs.

Good on you for selling your weakling gear.

DSmalls84

Well so far I have still been able to find lots of items that meet my search criteria on the Gold AH which is good and haven't seen any slow down on stuff I'm selling. The only effect RMAH is having on me is trying to decide which AH to sell my stuff on. Has anyone noticed any large flucuation on the Gold AH prices or anything else that has changed economy wise at least short term.

scy

I don't mind farming at all, but I can't help thinking there should be no way in hell that I should still be wearing Level 9 gloves at level 37 because I've yet to find anything better. That's just a bit too much.

That's some awful luck. I think the worst my characters ever got, without AH use, was like 10 levels without an upgrade for that slot.

...what kind of beastly gloves do you have that nothing has been an upgrade? Not even a blue?

knitoe

so i'm browsing the AH when i hear the dinging noise. i love that noise. sold some shitty boots for 7 bucks lmao. i've made almost 20 now bwhahahahahahhhahahahahaha

So far, I have sold $75 worth of average items. Unfortunately, $35 was for Blizz bucks before I figure there was also a Paypal option.

Are the drop rates in Whimsyshire equivalent to what can drop in Act 3/4 of Inferno?

Yes.

But Inferno ponies are no fucking joke. Was just in there with a Gaffer and we got destroyed.

Didn't help that there was a rare with Invuln Minions, Molten, Waller, Fast pretty close to right out of the gate.

Even white, normal mobs one-shot me as a DH, which is close to 37k HP.

Yes.

But Inferno ponies are no fucking joke. Was just in there with a Gaffer and we got destroyed.

Didn't help that there was a rare with Invuln Minions, Molten, Waller, Fast pretty close to right out of the gate.

Drag them back to the portal, SS in and out while tossing out sharpshooter impales.

Cheesiest class ever...fucking love it.

scy

Drag them back to the portal, SS in and out while tossing out sharpshooter impales.

Cheesiest class ever...fucking love it.

Well, if you're going to cheese it then just do the tree pathing one (fallen tree and gap you can run through, enemies won't and won't path around it). Unless that got fixed by now.

LordCanti

Yes.

Caltrops is your friend. With the exception of champs, you can get everything else stuck and slowed to a crawl.

theta11

Yes.

:(
vQ8eV.jpg

scy

Which makes HP silly to stack no?

Which is why the best returns for EHP are really from Armor/Resists as that also makes Life on Hit and Life Regen more valuable. More and more HP is secondary to just taking less damage per hit. Especially without scaling heals.

Yes.

why stack HP as a DH>?

Seth C

That's some awful luck. I think the worst my characters ever got, without AH use, was like 10 levels without an upgrade for that slot.

...what kind of beastly gloves do you have that nothing has been an upgrade? Not even a blue?

Gladiator's Definance. They aren't that good to be honest. I just haven't been able to find anything better. It's just like the rare level 32 axe I just found, which somehow does 60 less damage than the old level 22 hammer I've been swinging for ages.

Macmanus

I'll defend him. It's not a competitive game, in the grand scheme of things.. who gives a shit? Intially I was upset.. but fuck, while we're all getting hung up about these people "ruining" a virtual economy in a fucking game, he's making tons of cash. We're the stupid ones.

Once PVP launches it will certainly be competitive- and we've known PVP will be incorporated since Day 1. So it's not a competitive game yet, but at it's core it most certainly is a competitive game.

With that bit of pedantry out of the way, I too also give zero fucks about your friend's botting - and honestly applaud him. In a worse case scenario - his actions might slightly alter some random aspect of a video game for me. I can't even pretend to get up in arms about that. Props to him for being smart and stacking chips.

railGUN

Banned
Has anyone in Canada been able to use a prepaid or pay-as-you-go phone to register for the SMS protection? I've read that some prepaid phones from American phone companies work, however, I haven't had any luck with the SpeakOut 7-11 phone, or a Rogers prepaid phone.

I'm fucking pissed I can't use the RMAH because of this stupid limitation. (for real money, not blizz bucks)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is it bannable to accuse someone of botting? Cause I see people defending it pretty hard.

I'm also annoyed by the constant talk of how much money people are making.

I'd like an exodus similar to the price check exodus.

DryvBy

This sucks. I can't move on at all. I can cake walk through Act I, the entire Act without dying once. I can fight any champions or elite bosses no matter what their affix is. I can't even step foot in Act II.

My average Resist All is at 425ish. My armor is 8k. 21% chance to block. My DPS is meh, only 9k, but that's not the problem. I'm hit 2-3 times in Act II and I'm dead. Can anyone help me fight through Act II so I can find some gear?

DryvBy

Has anyone in Canada been able to use a prepaid or pay-as-you-go phone to register for the SMS protection? I've read that some prepaid phones from American phone companies work, however, I haven't had any luck with the SpeakOut 7-11 phone, or a Rogers prepaid phone.

I'm fucking pissed I can't use the RMAH because of this stupid limitation. (for real money, not blizz bucks)

I'm in America. Using a Virgin Mobile phone. I can't use it either. I'm tired of being in contract with phone companies so I guess I just won't make real money.

Yes.

I just go the glass cannon route, though I still definitely need a better 2H crossbow. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I think I'll just try clearing on my own and then invite my friend in afterwards with both our MF gear on to open the clouds.

Plan is also to go over to Festering first to get my NV stacks.

I don't see how people can say botting hurts the economy - it hurts the people who are not botting and wanting to farm gold to buy stuff, but the economy itself will stabalize itself and continue on just fine. The bright side is it now makes drops more valuable than gold when some people were complaining that the gold AH just turned the game into a gold farming rather than loot farming game.

Meanwhile just so we can have all the computers and gadgets we enjoy people are exploited in a very real way that effects their entire life rather than a game they enjoy in their free time, so I'm in the zero fucks given camp.

zlatko

Banned
I've been taking a break last few days from the game. Not because I'm sick of it by any means, but because I don't want to start to develop a backlog.

Trying to hustle through the Ghost Recon FS campaign, so I can shift my attention back to Xenoblade. I bought a freaking Wii to play it, and it's incredible, but then D3 hit and it was a quick check out from wanting to play it.

I feel like if I can wrap those up, then I can not feel so guilty about playing this game more.

smr00

Banned
Pathetic people find a way to enjoy the game they purchased?

Oooook.

I just don't care. Doesn't effect me. Enjoy your game how you like. This is NOT a competitive game.
Doesn't matter if it's competitive or not, it's cheating and unfair.

That botting is whats inflating prices and it harder for LEGIT players, people who bot are pathetic and deserve life bans from all blizzard games.

You are telling it's ok for people to run multiple bots and undercut legit people trying to make money? no, fuck that and fuck anyone who supports hacks/bots, don't care if it gets me banned here for saying it because frankly i don't want to be a part of a community who supports it, it ruined D2 and will ruin D3 but i guess it's ok because it's not "competitive" right? what about when pvp gets implemented? is it ok to get pissed then?

botting/hacking is all bullshit and nobody should be ok with it.

zlatko

Banned

That botting is whats inflating prices and it harder for LEGIT players, people who bot are pathetic and deserve life bans from all blizzard games.

I'll go a step further and say ALL games in general.

Not even worthy of farmville.

Deadly

works fine for me

I don't see how people can say botting hurts the economy - it hurts the people who are not botting and wanting to farm gold to buy stuff, but the economy itself will stabalize itself and continue on just fine. The bright side is it now makes drops more valuable than gold when some people were complaining that the gold AH just turned the game into a gold farming rather than loot farming game.

Meanwhile just so we can have all the computers and gadgets we enjoy people are exploited in a very real way that effects their entire life rather than a game they enjoy in their free time, so I'm in the zero fucks given camp.
Let's put it in nice and easy terms so you can understand why it affects(hurts) the economy.

We'll go with nice round numbers for ease. Let's say the maximum someone bot or otherwise could make per hour is 100K gold.

Now say that Blizzard *included* a bot with the game. Your income for a 24 hour period is 2.4 million gold.

Now say that Blizzard included that bot for everyone in the game, except for you. Even if you played for 8 hours a day, you'll still have only 1/3 of what every other person playing the game has. All the prices on items would be effectively much, much higher than they are because gold would be much easier to come by...except for you.

You'd effectively never be able to keep up with the rest of us because the prices from your perspective would be skyrocketing even if you were devoting 8 hours a day and likely far less than that. In the reverse situation, if there was just one person in the entire game that had the bot, yeah it wouldn't mess up the economy, but as the number rises and rises, it would mess it up more and more.

Ferrio

Banned
Let's put it in nice and easy terms so you can understand why it affects(hurts) the economy.

We'll go with nice round numbers for ease. Let's say the maximum someone bot or otherwise could make per hour is 100K gold.

Now say that Blizzard *included* a bot with the game. Your income for a 24 hour period is 2.4 million gold.

Now say that Blizzard included that bot for everyone in the game, except for you. Even if you played for 8 hours a day, you'll still have only 1/3 of what every other person playing the game has. All the prices on items would be effectively much, much higher than they are because gold would be much easier to come by...except for you.

You'd effectively never be able to keep up with the rest of us because the prices from your perspective would be skyrocketing even if you were devoting 8 hours a day and likely far less than that. In the reverse situation, if there was just one person in the entire game that had the bot, yeah it wouldn't mess up the economy, but as the number rises and rises, it would mess it up more and more.

You're missing one key element. Items sell for these inflated prices, so you're still keeping up with inflation. The only thing that you lag behind on is gold drops, which is a very very very small percentage of income. Inflation hurts people when their income does not raise with inflation. Seeing how your income are drops, it will not be devauled by inflation.

You are telling it's ok for people to run multiple bots and undercut legit people trying to make money? no, fuck that and fuck anyone who supports hacks/bots, don't care if it gets me banned here for saying it because frankly i don't want to be a part of a community who supports it, it ruined D2 and will ruin D3 but i guess it's ok because it's not "competitive" right? what about when pvp gets implemented? is it ok to get pissed then?

botting/hacking is all bullshit and nobody should be ok with it.

What on earth is fair about the game with or without bots? The whole thing as already been setup to give the people with either the most free time or the most free cash huge advantages - bots only run that concept to the extreme.

On top of that realisticly there is no way for Blizzard to ever stop bots unless some revolutionary detection method is discovered that can act extremely fast. Regardless of how many people they ban they don't all get caught and it takes too long to ban. You can make more than enough in one day to cover the cost of the game and they aren't getting banned until weeks or months later, then they can just buy a new game. The whole banning process just becomes an almost irrelevant cost of doing business.

Saying it ruined D2 is just your subjective opinion, but there are still plenty of people who play and enjoy D2 so objectively I don't see how you can say it's ruined. In D2 it eventually turned into being able to buy some really sweet items for less than $5 where as farming those items "legit" in game requires a stupid amount of time even with good magic find. Weather that is good or bad to you is all subjective, but people are still buying those items and it saves them time.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
You're missing one key element. Items sell for these inflated prices, so you're still keeping up with inflation. The only thing that you lag behind on is gold drops, which is a very very very small percentage of income.

So basically farming for gold is now pointless and you have to hope for drops good enough to sell.

Before bot inflation of gold, at least an alternative was available if you grinded for hours and got crap loot.

Trasher

This game is really starting to piss me off. I've never had so many problems getting a game to simply work in order to just play it...

First it would get stuck on the launcher and do nothing. I fixed that by reinstalling it.

After I finished playing today, the launcher would come up and prompt me to "Install" the game again. When I click on that it says it can't find the data to install it, and then it tells me to reinstall it using the digital download version...which is how I've installed it the last three times.

So when I try to go through the setup again it tells me "an unexpected decryption error occurred. Please contact customer support."

It's just getting a bit absurd with all the effort I have to put in in order to play this game once every week.

Ferrio

Banned
So basically farming for gold is now pointless and you have to hope for drops good enough to sell.

Before bot inflation of gold, at least an alternative was available if you grinded for hours and got crap loot.

Actually I would even say gold farming was pointless (sans bot) even in the beginning. I know some people did it, but I think it was for suckers. The real money has always been on the items.

Anyways, seeing how gold is pointless that means the system is self correcting. Items and random luck are worth more than any bot.

The key to Inferno Whimsyshire is just accepting that some affix combinations are too much trouble to deal with. Kite all the trouble elite packs to one of those dead-end corners, die there, and just forget about them. It's great if you can get them down but the real value in Whimsyshire is MF-gear + popping clouds / pots / shrooms / pinata.

railGUN

Banned

Rogers Pay-As-You-Go? Thats weird because my mother-in-law has a Rogers and when I try to use it, it says:

That number isn’t in our mobile phone database. If this phone can receive texts, please click the button below. Otherwise, please provide a different mobile number.

But there's no "button below" other than the submit button, which does nothing.

scy

Actually I would even say gold farming was pointless (sans bot) even in the beginning. I know some people did it, but I think it was for suckers. The real money has always been on the items.

Anyways, seeing how gold is pointless that means the system is self correcting. Items and random luck are worth more than any bot.

Gold farm was more consistent returns and less streaky. Seeing as I could easily pull in a million a night and most item drops added up over the course of an evening farming weren't better (on average), it more or less equalized.

It's not quite the case now where even relatively bad items can be sold for 1M+.

suffah

Does maths and stuff

Not really. Before inflation, gold was a very viable means of picking up gear. I'm not talking farming gold exclusively. Im talking about the gold you'd accumulate running through whatever it was you were doing anyways. This "incidental" gold would be worth a decent piece of gear after x hours. Now it's completely worthless and you have no choice but hope to roll some elite loot.

LiK

Rogers Pay-As-You-Go? Thats weird because my mother-in-law has a Rogers and when I try to use it, it says:

But there's no "button below" other than the submit button, which does nothing.

it might mean the number wasn't entered correctly if Submit is grayed out.

Not really. Before inflation, gold was a very viable means of picking up gear. I'm not talking farming gold exclusively. Im talking about the gold you'd accumulate running through whatever it was you were doing anyways. This "incidental" gold would be worth a decent piece of gear after x hours. Now it's completely worthless and you have no choice but hope to roll some elite loot.

Inflation happens with or without botting.

Zuly

I have to ask, is it really worth equipping wands when most of them have shitty DPS? :S At least from what I've noticed.

Ferrio

Banned

Welcome to Diablo.

If botting got to that level gold would just become useless and different currencies would be used. The more people there are botting, the less lucrative botting becomes.

Ultimately things are priced to sell, but it is also kind of stupid to compete with botters by manual farming gold. Instead it will make more and more sense to just farm items because it only takes one sweet drop to get paid millions or billions of botted gold or wherever the economy takes us. Or you can just pay less than I spent on lunch for a huge amount of gold.

As long as Blizzard is unable to swiftly deal with botters there will be botters due to people having far more money than free time.

Also I don't see what kind of point you think you're making silly situation of only one person in the entire game not botting, that is not reality.

Reality is people are attracted to botting because it is lucrative yet the more people who do it the less lucrative it becomes. It will balance out to a equilibrium based on supply and demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom