• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Decided to do a one life character and due to single player lag I was just killed by the skeleton King....im fucking done with this shit :/

wwm0nkey

Essential tip for any HC players, stop playing the moment you feel the slightest lag spike.

Yeah this happened right in the middle of the damn fight though so if I tried to I would have died as well, I should NEVER have lag in my single player games ever.

LordCanti

I like watching something I've bid on end. Item just went from 1.5 to over 4 in a minute.

Edit: Over 5.

Edit: Over 6.

Andddd... I spent 6.7 million gold on an ammy.

Holy sweet mother of God what did I do.

Edit 4: I hope this sells on the RMAH. I really hope this sells. Screw everyone that ran the price up on me. /salty

(I should have went to sleep an hour ago ><)

The person that was selling this is going to wake up tomorrow expecting 1.5m, and his eyes are going to bulge out of his head.

rCIZZLE

I wish there was some option where the game could be hosted by the player but the client just checks in with the server to show the person is online and isn't using a pirated copy. It wouldn't be as good as offline single player, of course, it'd just take away the biggest risk of playing hardcore.

Won

Decided to do a one life character and due to single player lag I was just killed by the skeleton King....im fucking done with this shit :/

It's part of the challenge!

My first HC character died during my first actual disconnect from the game. Endless hours without a disconnect and then, all of the sudden, as soon I switched to HC.....kaboom.
Luckily I was till at a low level, but still....random lag spikes really sour the whole thing.

rCIZZLE

I brought up another idea awhile back: if the SERVER is having problems then any HC deaths for a short period of time around the server disconnect should be eligible for a free revival. Players shouldn't die and lose dozens of hours and millions in gear due to Blizzard problems. If keeping the mode running flawlessly isn't a priority then they shouldn't even offer it.

RDreamer

does vote kick not work anymore? never does anything

I've never got it to work. Really pisses me off when someone just leaves and never comes back in a public game. We had someone leave one time on a butcher run around the jailer part. We couldn't kick him out and we had 5 NV, so we had to keep going. We died the first time to the butcher, too, but still couldn't kick the dude out.

Realyn

I brought up another idea awhile back: if the SERVER is having problems then any HC deaths for a short period of time around the server disconnect should be eligible for a free revival. Players shouldn't die and lose dozens of hours and millions in gear due to Blizzard problems. If keeping the mode running flawlessly isn't a priority then they shouldn't even offer it.

Right, so I'll try a boss on inferno whenever they announce free revivals for the next 20 minutes.

Wallach

It is. Whenever such a goody would be activated word would spread in seconds and people would abuse it.

He's saying if there is a server disconnect that causes the death, the player would be eligible. One happens before the other; it doesn't matter if everyone knows about it because it is linked to something you have no ability to predict.

rCIZZLE

It is. Whenever such a goody would be activated word would spread in seconds and people would abuse it.

No, it's not. Blizzard would have a system where they see the server performing extremely poorly, allowing them to pinpoint a time when the most unfair deaths are happening. Afterwards, when the servers stabilize, they would offer people who died during this period or shortly before/after a free revival.

I don't see how that can be abused.

maharg

idspispopd
No, it's not. Blizzard would have a system where they see the server performing extremely poorly, allowing them to pinpoint a time when the most unfair deaths are happening. Afterwards, when the servers stabilize, they would offer people who died during this period or shortly before/after a free revival.

You're not thinking hard enough. Dying? DDoS time. Everybody loses.

Wallach

I think they could only really do this on a straight disconnect (provided they can even see that the disconnect was caused by their end). Something just like bad performance/latency they won't get into, because it required judgment calls which is something they actively avoid regarding hardcore.

Given their stance though nothing like this is ever going to happen. They won't restore characters even when they die due to known bugs.

rCIZZLE

You're not thinking hard enough. Dying? DDoS time. Everybody loses.

What prevents people from doing this now though?

I think they could only really do this on a straight disconnect (provided they can even see that the disconnect was caused by their end). Something just like bad performance/latency they won't get into, because it required judgment calls which is something they actively avoid regarding hardcore.

Given their stance though nothing like this is ever going to happen. They won't restore characters even when they die due to known bugs.

There has to be some way they can tell. Even if the server performance drops to a certain point they should be able to see some hard data. We all know when this happens as can be seen through all the posts that are made around the same time complaining.

Ya, I know nothing like this happens since it's an extremely customer friendly move and that's rare in this industry anymore.

CmdrWyrm

Neo Member
I got this a couple days ago and can't figure out how to price it thanks to Blizzard's shoddy AH sorting and searching (seriously, let us just search the actual stats on the item, not just the mods, and let us sort by whatever stat we want, not just armor).

Y3kfo.png

Any ideas on what it's worth? Or is it garbage since everyone is using 2 handers?

rCIZZLE

Er... because it doesn't get them anything? They did in in D2 to dupe, though.

Well, if the servers are already obviously having problems, the upside of giving people a second chance when it was not their fault outweigh the potential downside of a few people not being able to handle a death from their own misplaying. Blizzard is THE company of these types of games, I'm sure they could make this aspect better for the consumers if they really cared.

Plus, like I said above, if people could do this easily they'd just do it for their own entertainment. D2 duping was a huge business, not just some kids trying to play through hardcore legitimately and failing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I got this a couple days ago and can't figure out how to price it thanks to Blizzard's shoddy AH sorting and searching (seriously, let us just search the actual stats on the item, not just the mods, and let us sort by whatever stat we want, not just armor).

Y3kfo.png

Any ideas on what it's worth? Or is it garbage since everyone is using 2 handers?
Could use a 350+ max dmg, but good rolls on int and HP

Y3kfo.png

Low end damage is pretty low, high end is pretty good though. Int is decent-good at best, and the rest of the stats are pretty much worthless. No socket either. I'd either save it for a Wizard alt, or maybe try and offload it for 50-100k at the absolute most (maybe put it up for a low bid with no buyout?) Good chance upon finding something like that I'd probably just end up salvaging it.

So I spend 120k on the gold AH to buy stuff for my monk. The idea was : more vit, more physical res (my main res with The One with Everything)

I went from 20k to 25k HP, from 4k to 6k armor, and from 120 physical res to 380 all resi.

Arma here I come, again.

(still at 15k dps, 20 buffed)

Next step would be going for 100 hp/spirit points, going through the 500 res, and trying to get a better dps. But now, I'm broke and everything I want to upgrade next cost so much

zoukka

Finally got the staff of herding. Cleared the cave of frost like 50 times....

BUT IT'S MINE. Now to just grind a million for inferno plans.

maharg

idspispopd
Well, if the servers are already obviously having problems, the upside of giving people a second chance when it was not their fault outweigh the potential downside of a few people not being able to handle a death from their own misplaying. Blizzard is THE company of these types of games, I'm sure they could make this aspect better for the consumers if they really cared.

Plus, like I said above, if people could do this easily they'd just do it for their own entertainment. D2 duping was a huge business, not just some kids trying to play through hardcore legitimately and failing.

If you think that people *don't* do it just for their own amusement sometimes you're really not paying attention. It's a thing that happens to many things people take far less seriously than Diablo. And I guarantee it happens as is.

However, there's a big difference between accepting that it happens sometimes and literally incentivizing it. If they did what you suggest you'd probably basically never get to play without lag.

Soloed Inferno Whimsyshire on my Barbarian twice tonight. Never dropping Sprint from my build after tonight, it makes it possible to survive in even the most ridiculous situations.

Out of both runs, never even died once and didn't have to use the trap either to kill horses. And later I realized I didn't even have my Enchantress with me, lol.

I'm interested in dropping some of the mitigation from my build and trying to go more offense (same build though) so that the Tornadoes take the enemies down faster. Not sure how it's going to work out but I dropped about 5m on some dps gear and got myself up to 28k DPS using a sword and shield.

For the most part, I killed everything the regular way, using tank and spank, and only pulled out Tornado kiting during champion packs. But it takes them down every time. The only time I was ever in danger was with a group of Horde Mortar Vortex bears because it made it much more difficult to build fury (usually I build fury by hitting Ground Stomp and getting a few good hits and revenges in before running away). I may also try dropping Threatening Shout for Battle Rage/Into the Fray (for fury supply while tornado kiting), but the 20% damage reduction from Threatening Shout may end up being necessary considering how many defensive stats I had to drop to get my dps up to 28k. Then again, even with just 17k dps and no enchantress the tornadoes were taking huge packs of enemies down with surprising efficiency, so if I'm going up to 36k dps (factoring in Battle Shout and Enchantress), it may make up the difference.

rCIZZLE

helm2q.png

Alright price experts, I need a little help. The res are low but high dex and decent vit with a socket seem to make this (hopefully) attractive to somebody. What would you guys price this at? AH doesn't have many like this so it's hard to really find a price.

Actually hold up-I noted it doesn't have crit chance (I thought it did for some reason).

Defintiely half that value then. Crit chance is pretty highly prized and is necessary for those premiums.

Still should get a few million for it.

It ended up going for it's bin of 4mil after about ~12hours or so. Not sure if I should be happy about it or disappointed that I didn't get more. Seems like a pretty fair price though and I'm happy I have 3.4m (after blizz tax -_-) to play around with.

Thanks though because if you had not said such a high value (4-5m) I probably would have listed it for around 2 and lost out.

Totakeke

Y3kfo.png

oBP5J.png

I can tell you that I've placed my source on the AH for like 10 times, the minimum was like >500k I think, and it has never once been sold. I'm thinking that I might as well stash them until Blizzard fixes their shit.

rCIZZLE

If you think that people *don't* do it just for their own amusement sometimes you're really not paying attention. It's a thing that happens to many things people take far less seriously than Diablo. And I guarantee it happens as is.

However, there's a big difference between accepting that it happens sometimes and literally incentivizing it. If they did what you suggest you'd probably basically never get to play without lag.

This is a serious question since I don't know how this stuff works. How many people would it take to make a noticeable impact on server quality? Would it require a group that just died to quickly form and lag the shit out of the servers? What if they only counted from the point the server quality dropped and after, instead of what I said about including slightly before the quality drop.

It isn't be part of the game but if ideas get tossed around then maybe it's something they could implement for either expansions, future games in the series, or similar games with a similar mode to hardcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom