• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

In my years of WoW, the faster someone said "scrub", the shittier they ended up beeing.

Don't mistake having a headstart with "beeing good".

I know the difference. :)

The change I'm looking forward to isn't the drops, it's the incoming damage. Apparently survivability is something ranged classes who are glass cannons right now can build instead, and melees will not get hit as hard as they are right now.

I wonder if people who are buying those $250 weapons are doing so because they're flipping it on a third party site that has no cap on transactions. Maybe they actually sell for more?

That would imply people are paying more than $250 for items to use, in which case im sure plenty are just using the $250 items they bought from the AH.

I think if your item is too expensive for the RMAH you should sell it for gold then sell the gold

ElyrionX

I don't think you interpreted what I said correctly. The point is that you only want to have enough hp so that force armor still works. This will make diamond skin and healing effects better. Of course, if your resistances are high enough, some things will hit you for less than 35% of your hp and then even a force armor build benefits from having more hp.

I don't understand this. Wouldn't having Vitality as high as possible be the best route for Force Amor post-nerf?

syllogism

I don't understand this. Wouldn't having Vitality as high as possible be the best route for Force Amor post-nerf?
That depends on what your goal is. Generally a force armor user expects that 3 hits will kill him. Healing effects/dskin are better if your hp max is lower and thus increasing HP is worse than increasing resistances/armor. Stacking both vit and health is better for some dmg types, but generally when you are doing that you should have the intention of moving to prismatic rune at some point.

LordCanti

How hard are these 'lol, DH' hitting?

My dps is 24k unbuffed and things aren't just melting before my eyes ass I'm lead to believe

Stacking crit, easily over 100k. 50% for Xbow's with archery, over 100% potentially added with the Xbox's crit, then 50% through amulet/gloves/etc.

I dont see how the way one gets paid makes it more or less shady.

One way is legitimate, and the other isn't. Not going through the RMAH, you take the risk of getting charged back through paypal (which is the "shady" factor).

I just found two legendaries in a row. How fucking lucky is that?

Guys, how much do you think this is worth? It seems like it might be good for Demon Hunters.

WzNHv.png

Andariel's is very good for DHs and yours has some pretty nice rolls. The Dex + Vit as the random property isn't as good as straight Dex or say a socket, but very good nonetheless. Definitely worth many, many millions. It's also better than quite a few of the $250 ones on the RMAH. If you put it up for $200+ it would probably sell. Easily, easily $100 at a minimum.

Also snagged this for myself for 300k:

ZLqlf.jpg

Which I think was a pretty fair price.

alexel

How hard are these 'lol, DH' hitting?

My dps is 24k unbuffed and things aren't just melting before my eyes ass I'm lead to believe

I constantly see claims like these on multiple forums which leads me to believe that most DHs are either bad at playing the game or have some inefficient skill build (which is unlikely since almost all DHs use the same build with 1 or 2 slight tweaks).

I was clearing inferno act 3 comfortably as a DH with 26k dps, whimsyshire was very manageable once I got to 30k+ dps, and now I'm just steamrolling full whymsy clears in ~30 minutes with 52k dps.

Don't feel that you need to hit that magical 100k dps tier for you to start pushing forward into the later acts of inferno. I get 1-shotted by most things even though I'm running 28k hp and 200-300 all resists. The key is playing the harder sections like it was a MMO. Try to clear open areas (especially around cover objects) in order to establish a kiting place should you run into that elite pack. Learning how to stutter step with your DH is also a huge boost to your kiting, survivability, and ultimate dps as well.

All those dps numbers are unbuffed as well (no sharpshooter)

LordCanti

Andariels is very good for DHs and yours has some pretty nice rolls. The Dex + Vit as the random property isn't as good as straight Dex or say a socket, but very good nonetheless. Definitely worth many, many millions. It's also better than quite a few of the $250 ones on the RMAH. If you put it up for $200+ it would probably sell. Easily, easily $100 at a minimum.

Also snagged this for myself for 300k:

ZLqlf.jpg

Which I think was a pretty fair price.

Nice Xbow.

I'd give him 8m right now, hoping to get $100 for it.

Won

I constantly see claims like these on multiple forums which leads me to believe that most DHs are either bad at playing the game or have some inefficient skill build (which is unlikely since almost all DHs use the same build with 1 or 2 slight tweaks).

I was clearing inferno act 3 comfortably as a DH with 26k dps, whimsyshire was very manageable once I got to 30k+ dps, and now I'm just steamrolling full whymsy clears in ~30 minutes with 52k dps.

Don't feel that you need to hit that magical 100k dps tier for you to start pushing forward into the later acts of inferno. I get 1-shotted by most things even though I'm running 28k hp and 200-300 all resists. The key is playing the harder sections like it was a MMO. Try to clear open areas (especially around cover objects) in order to establish a kiting place should you run into that elite pack. Learning how to stutter step with your DH is also a huge boost to your kiting, survivability, and ultimate dps as well.

All those dps numbers are unbuffed as well (no sharpshooter)

People just love to post the inflated number. Makes them feel better I guess.

ElyrionX

That depends on what your goal is. Generally a force armor user expects that 3 hits will kill him. Healing effects/dskin are better if your hp max is lower and thus increasing HP is worse than increasing resistances/armor. Stacking both vit and health is better for some dmg types, but generally when you are doing that you should have the intention of moving to prismatic rune at some point.

This makes no sense. How are healing effects and diamond skin better if your max HP is lower? Your statement is only true when assuming that there are tradeoffs between resistances/armor and HP when selecting gear. Certainly, tradeoffs like that exist but without the exact math and cost analysis, general isolated statements like that make no sense especially given the wide damage ranges that you can get hit for in Inferno.

It's just like the people in this thread claiming that balancing armor and resists is the way to go. Mathematically, it makes no sense because focusing purely on either armor or resists would yield better damage reduction than balancing both. People make statements like that because they think about it from the cost perspective. However, the cost part of the equation is not clear at all since item values fluctuate quite substantially and it is difficult to pin down the point at which the marginal cost of stacking one resist would outweigh that of stacking 10 more armor.

Vodh

0ikjK.jpg

I'm rich!!! One SteelSeries mousepad paid for itself (i love the artwork on those so I just got them all...)

syllogism

This makes no sense. How are healing effects and diamond skin better if your max HP is lower? Your statement is only true when assuming that there are tradeoffs between resistances/armor and HP when selecting gear. Certainly, tradeoffs like that exist but without the exact math and cost analysis, general isolated statements like that make no sense especially given the wide damage ranges that you can get hit for in Inferno.

It's just like the people in this thread claiming that balancing armor and resists is the way to go. Mathematically, it makes no sense because focusing purely on either armor or resists would yield better damage reduction than balancing both. People make statements like that because they think about it from the cost perspective. However, the cost part of the equation is not clear at all since item values fluctuate quite substantially and it is difficult to pin down the point at which the marginal cost of stacking one resist would outweigh that of stacking 10 more armor.
Because for instance healing for 12000 (potion) is a lot better when your hp max is 30k than when it is 50k. Similarly, since things can hit only for around 10k when your hp max is 30k, diamond skin is much better. It makes perfect sense and I'm not sure what is so complicated about it.

ElyrionX

What is the current going rate for USD to gold?

Last I heard, it was around 7 USD per million gold. If that's the case, then the stuff on the RMAH are quite a bit overpriced. Based on RMAH values, it feels more like 8 USD per million, thereabouts.

syllogism

Also these datamined 1.03 patch notes were posted earlier but they were updated to include possible IAS nerf

Items
The attack speed affix has been reduced significantly on all items. The following list outlines all of the previous values and new values for each affix level. This should give you a rough idea of how much IAS you should expect to lose.
Weapons
​Haste 1: Old: (2-3%) New: (2%)
Haste 2: Old: (4-5%) New: (2%)
Haste 3: Old: (6-7%) New: (2-3%)
Haste 4: Old: (8-9%) New: (2-3%)
Haste 5: Old: (10-11%) New: (3-4%)
Haste 6: Old: (12-13%) New: (3-4%)
Haste 7: Old: (14-15%) New: (5%)
Haste 8: Old: (16-17%) New: (6-7%)
Haste 9: Old: (18-19%) New: (8-9%)
Haste 10: Old: (20-25%) New: (10-11%)

Other Types (Rings, Amulet, Gloves, Legendaries)
Haste 1: Old: (2-3%) New: (2%)
Haste 2: Old: (4-5%) New: (2-3%)
Haste 3: Old: (6-7%) New: (3-4%)
Haste 4: Old: (8-9%) New: (3-4%)
Haste 5: Old: (10-11%) New: (4-5%)
Haste 6: Old: (12-13%) New: (5-6%)
Haste 7: Old: (14-15%) New: (6-7%)
Haste 8: Old: (16-17%) New: (8-9%)
http://d3db.com/news/id/268-datamined-10310057-patch-notes-unofficial/

No, they are almost certainly nerfing all pre-existing items

I'm pretty sure they aren't. Considering how the item system works, that's likely not even possible.

If they were going to nerf pre-existing items, then why wouldn't they also buff pre-existing legendaries with the legendary patch in 1.1?

Damn it Blizz. I honesty didn't care about the ramifications of having a high attack speed. I just liked seeing my attacks come out really fast

Really hoped they'd just cap it. Now attack speed items are going to be even more sought after

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, that's a big DPS loss for a lot of classes. That sucks because I need IAS for my monk crit build.

Also makes a ton of legendaries not as useful :lol
What is the loot table for Whimsyshire? Is it the same as Act 4 of the same difficulty?
Act 3/4 iirc. I think they share a very similar table if not the same.

Vodh

Aren't they nerfing the items already in existence?

Yes, they said they will adjust both the stats on new drops and the stats on already owned items. So if you have anything with IAS worth millions sell it for $$$ to people who don't know that crit/crit damage is going to get exponentially more expensive.

LordCanti

Well, that's a big DPS loss for a lot of classes. That sucks because I need IAS for my monk crit build.

Also makes a ton of legendaries not as useful :lol

Am I thinking about this wrong? When items have less IAS, won't people want more items with IAS to get to the same AS that they had previously? Doesn't this make those items more valuable?

inky

Man, >50% speed reduction on my sword? It's the only item I have with significant IAS too. Fuck!

What is the current going rate for USD to gold?

Last I heard, it was around 7 USD per million gold. If that's the case, then the stuff on the RMAH are quite a bit overpriced. Based on RMAH values, it feels more like 8 USD per million, thereabouts.

I was wondering this as well. Going by some items I've sold, you could buy some 3/4 million items and sell them for $50/$60. Wonder how it will turn out once you can buy/sell gold too. I expect it to start pretty expensive, then plummet fast.

Deadly

Am I thinking about this wrong? When items have less IAS, won't people want more items with IAS to get to the same AS that they had previously? Doesn't this make those items more valuable?
Doubt people would be able to reach the same amount they had before.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's still a good stat, but if you are choosing between a 6% Attack Speed boost, or 150 DEX (about 8-10% boost), then one of them is better.

It just makes Visage less incredible unless you get a 150 dex roll on it, for example.

Attack Speed was already the largest boost in damage so it's not like it'll go away, it's just split between Rank 1 and 2 now.

LordCanti

It's still a good stat, but if you are choosing between a 6% Attack Speed boost, or 150 DEX (about 8-10% boost), then one of them is better.

It just makes Visage less incredible unless you get a 150 dex roll on it, for example.

Attack Speed was already the largest boost in damage so it's not like it'll go away, it's just split between Rank 1 and 2 now.

Fair enough.

I shouldn't have sold off those 200 dex, 100 vit, 12% movement speed boots that I had. After this nerf, they'll probably be worth more. Oh well.

ElyrionX

Because for instance healing for 12000 (potion) is a lot better when your hp max is 30k than when it is 50k. Similarly, since things can hit only for around 10k when your hp max is 30k, diamond skin is much better. It makes perfect sense and I'm not sure what is so complicated about it.

No, it doesn't make sense because you are talking about relative value concepts in a situation where all that matters is the absolute value. How is it better to have 30k HP than 50k HP just because potions heal for only 12k? Ultimately, 50k HP is still 20k further away from death than 30k. Why should it matter what potion healing values are when you will still die quicker if you have 30k HP than 50k?

Your understanding of Force Amor is incorrect. Force Armor has been nerfed to mitigate only a maximum of 100% of your HP. So with 50k HP, you will mitigate as much as 50k HP before taking any damage above 35% of your HP. With 30k HP, that's 20k less damage mitigation. Diamond Skin has absolutely no impact in this particular situation.

Vodh

Since unless I'm just unaware of something there aren't any set-in-stone amounts of frames reduction on certain levels of IAS (making it so that anything between say 40%-50% gives the same animations but jump from 50% to 51% buys you a single frame and so on), reduced IAS is just what it sounds like - reduced IAS. And before people had to choose between let's say 6% increased crit chance or 15% IAS - and they chose IAS because it was better. But now the choice will be between 6% crit chance or 8% IAS, thus making alternative stats relatively more appealing. IAS is still going to be a desired stat and still going to be expensive, but since it gives less per tier of 'Haste' it will be valued lower. Before you were willing to pay let's say 2 million extra for 15% IAS on your gloves - if for those 2 million you can get 6% crit, you're less likely to choose the now-8% IAS. The premium on IAS is not going to drop as significantly as the values themselves, but it's going down.

GJS

The changes will drop my monk from 44% attack speed bonus from items to 20%, lowers my dps to 18.8k from 22k and my overall attacks to 1.8aps from 2.14aps.

I already decided to take a break from my monk yesterday to start a wizard but I guess that will be extended. Hopefully the inferno changes are enough such that the lowered rate of LoH doesn't make too much of a difference, otherwise I'll have to figure something else out.

Vodh

No, it doesn't make sense because you are talking about relative value concepts in a situation where all that matters is the absolute value. How is it better to have 30k HP than 50k HP just because potions heal for only 12k? Ultimately, 50k HP is still 20k further away from death than 30k. Why should it matter what potion healing values are when you will still die quicker if you have 30k HP than 50k?

Your understanding of Force Amor is incorrect. Force Armor has been nerfed to mitigate only a maximum of 100% of your HP. So with 50k HP, you will mitigate as much as 50k HP before taking any damage above 35% of your HP. With 30k HP, that's 20k less damage mitigation. Diamond Skin has absolutely no impact in this particular situation.

You're wrong. Force armor always lets 35% of your hp in damage through. Let's say you get hit for 50k. With 50k HP you're gonna eat 16.6k damage, with 30k HP you're gonna eat only 10k. And since Diamond Skin gives you a flat increase, it means that the more life you have, the less hits it takes for Diamond Skin to go boom.

RDreamer

I realize the ias nerf is most likely targeting DHs, but I wonder what it'll do to monks. I really hope the inferno nerf works as well, because a lot of monks rely on it for spirit generation and more importantly life on hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom