• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Jay Wilson and his team are just drowning in designer hubris right now.

People are selling their gear and switching to barbarian, babas dominate the paragon ladder... they're the most powerful class by a huge amount right now. And nothing is being done. I wonder if the fact barbarian is Wilson's favorite class to play has anything to do with it.

koji

Well I tried playing a bit at lunch on my 2500k @ 4,5 GHz, GTX560 Ti, 8GB Ram, 120 GB SSD and there are frequent fps drops when entering a new area (then it quickly goes back to 60) and also consistent stuttering (small jerks of the screen every 1-2 seconds)... wtf? I thought Blizzard games were usually well coded and optimized?

Yeah the game does that, nothing much you can do about it, got the same on my GTX580 (game is installed on my SSD as well, i7 920@4.2ghz), friend plays on a 680, same story.

Some possible fixes or stuff that will lower the issue;

* Disabling Aero seems to help if you're using win 7.
* Uncheck the max foreground and background fps things in the options.
* Enable in-game Vsync.
* Enable "max performance mode" in the nvidia control panel under power management.

You'll still probably get it though drives me nuts. If anyone has any other solutions feel free to share...

Ledsen

Yeah the game does that, nothing much you can do about it, got the same on my GTX580 (game is installed on my SSD as well, i7 920@4.2ghz), friend plays on a 680, same story.

* Enable in-game Vsync.
* Enable "max performance mode" in the nvidia control panel under power management.

You'll still probably get it though drives me nuts. If anyone has any other solutions feel free to share...

God damned it... last time I had this problem was with Fallout: New Vegas, and that quickly got fixed by modders. I never thought this, of all games, would have the same problem.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?

* Enable in-game Vsync.

I suffered from the same issues months ago at launch. The sad thing is you need to always have a 16gb USB thumbstick in your computer. This should fix your problem...I went from microstuttering to 30 fps especially when loading up a map for the first time. It will auto-direct certain files to the thumbstick

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5642269402

koji

I suffered from the same issues months ago at launch. The sad thing is you need to always have a 16gb USB thumbstick in your computer. This should fix your problem...I went from microstuttering to 30 fps especially when loading up a map for the first time. It will auto-direct certain files to the thumbstick

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5642269402

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion, game is on a SSD though so I'm not sure that will help.

linsivvi

Those two things don't seem like they would have blizzards desired effect on me. Like ... At all.

At first I felt pretty good about this patch but after testing the PTR substantially for a few days I've just stopped playing the game altogether. Yeah the changes are all good but only if you are playing a WW barb. I have pretty much end game top-tier gears and yet I'm struggling even at monster power 6 unless I'm sticking with Act 1.

The reflect damage change is stupid without dialing back the damage monsters reflect. I have 3% life steal, about 400 LOH, around 1K life regen and yet when I'm hitting elites with reflect damage I get no life back.

A common battle.net forum meme is that Jay Wilson plays a barb and so he's going to favor that class, and I am beginning to believe that's the case. It's just ridiculous when the whole game skews towards one class and they do nothing about it. One look at diabloprogress and anyone can see that's the truth. I am sure Blizzard can see the data themselves.

syllogism

At first I felt pretty good about this patch but after testing the PTR substantially for a few days I've just stopped playing the game altogether. Yeah the changes are all good but only if you are playing a WW barb. I have pretty much end game top-tier gears and yet I'm struggling even at monster power 6 unless I'm sticking with Act 1.

The reflect damage change is stupid without dialing back the damage monsters reflect. I have 3% life steal, about 400 LOH, around 1K life regen and yet when I'm hitting elites with reflect damage I get no life back.

A common battle.net forum meme is that Jay Wilson plays a barb and so he's going to favor that class, and I am beginning to believe that's the case. It's just ridiculous when the whole game skews towards one class and they do nothing about it. One look at diabloprogress and anyone can see that's the truth. I am sure Blizzard can see the data themselves.
So why are you playing MP6 and how come not being able to play MP6 is somehow affecting your enjoyment?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

It's not just a meme, he's stated this in interviews.

Pure designer hubris.

syllogism

It's like people don't understand why there is ten ranks of monster power.

ALWAYS GOTTA BE TOP TIER.
The sad part is that these barbs who are "face rolling" MP10 aren't even farming more efficiently than, say, someone doing mp1-3. On the contrary they are getting fewer item drops and less XP/hour.

V_Arnold

The sad part is that these barbs who are "face rolling" MP10 aren't even farming more efficiently than, say, someone doing mp1-3. On the contrary they are getting fewer item drops and less XP/hour.

But a Barb's gotta smash stuff, you know... they need to keep it real.
Damn, my perception is so skewed though. I will be content with MP 4-5, and will stay on my WD :p

Dahbomb

People are selling their gear and switching to barbarian, babas dominate the paragon ladder... they're the most powerful class by a huge amount right now. And nothing is being done. I wonder if the fact barbarian is Wilson's favorite class to play has anything to do with it.
You_Don%27t_Say.jpg

linsivvi

So why are you playing MP6 and how come not being able to play MP6 is somehow affecting your enjoyment?

Because I do have top gears and I wanted to see if I can get the new legendary ring without partying with a WW barb? I am not even talking about MP10 here. You are telling me with 130K dps and good defense and life stealing I can't even do MP6? It affects my enjoyment when I can't even assemble a single copy of the new legendary ring after spending 3 days working on it since even at MP6 the drop rate is just about 50%.

If I have invested more time and gold into gears why would I not be able to tackle contents that someone playing a barbarian can in half the time?

It's like people don't understand why there is ten ranks of monster power.

ALWAYS GOTTA BE TOP TIER.

It's like people don't understand game balance. Barbarians with half of my gear can do MP10, and I have trouble doing MP6. It's all relative.

But a Barb's gotta smash stuff, you know... they need to keep it real.
Damn, my perception is so skewed though. I will be content with MP 4-5, and will stay on my WD :p

I am totally against nerfing barbs. It's a fun class to play with right now and it feels awesome killing stuff like that. A good way to keep people playing the game is to make them feel satisfying with ways to overpower monsters after they've acquired the best gears. The wizard nerf is just mind boggling. It's like after a few months they still have not learned how to keep people playing the game. It's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

syllogism

It takes a few minutes to get 5 valor and to kill the key warden and not very long to kill the uber bosses so I don't see how it can take you 3 days to craft the ring.

Only farming efficiency matters, not what monster power level you can do.

linsivvi

It takes a few minutes to get 5 valor and to kill the key warden and not very long to kill the uber bosses so I don't see how it can take you 3 days to craft the ring.

Only farming efficiency matters, not what monster power level you can do.

1. Drop rate on the key is not guaranteed. The higher MP the better drop rate. MP10 is guaranteed.
2. Drop rate on the ring parts is not guaranteed too.
3. The portals are random, so to guarantee you can get all 3 boss rooms with 3 keys, you need to collect them all at once before you kill them.
4. If you're telling me you can consistently get a key and ring drops at lower MP, then you are a very lucky person.
5. I have 4 of ring part 1 and 3 of ring part 2 and none of ring part 3.

If only farming efficient matters then it just reaffirms Blizzard's Barbarian bias. The data is all there and nobody can deny it.

Xamdou

This statement from Blizz about monks is just the drop on top

I'm done with this game from now. I just hope 1.05 come late enough for them to fix stuff and not nerf monk again.

I can't even comprehend what's going through their minds now... Monks is miles behind barb in terms of everything (not even starting about WW builds)

anyway...

I've been checking out the Monk forums section of the official d3 forums and a lot of the top tier monks are selling their gear because of all the nerfs. I assume their either re rolling as barbs or quitting the game.

I got a barb friend and his dps buffs are just insane. I know for sure my gear is way better than his too. He can do MP10 easily but he said it just takes a long time. Barb is just too OP and there is no possible way monks can even come close due to all the nerfs. I loved the monk during the Beta that's why I picked it since day one of release but now I don't even know anymore.

larvi

Another night, more crappy legendaries. Someday I'll find a winner. Here's what I got last nite, these are both new to me:

hs.png

tgv.png

The belt looks like it is worth a couple of mil because of the 20% melee damage reduction. The damage to demons affiix on the ring is interesting but no cirt damage/chance on it makes it not so useful.

Edit - Belt just sold for 5mil so I guess it was worth something

Celegus

I mostly play barbarian, but I don't see it being that much easier than the other classes. My monk seems to do better and his gear isn't nearly as good. When people say barb is OP, are they specifically referring to WW barb (not what I play) or barbs in general?

larvi

In playing public games I've never really seen a OP barb either, maybe they all play solo. The only really OP thing I've seen is the wizards that can freeze every encounter indefinitely and even then they really need to have support to help take down the encounters quickly.

Rufus

I mostly play barbarian, but I don't see it being that much easier than the other classes. My monk seems to do better and his gear isn't nearly as good. When people say barb is OP, are they specifically referring to WW barb (not what I play) or barbs in general?
WW Barbs can punch above their weight, gear-wise, but they're great outside of that particular build, too.

What is sad about that statement is that if you just had an ounce of LOH and a reasonable amount of All Resist, this would be a non-issue. But, Glass cannons cant be bothered, so they just bash their heads against a spiky wall which is reflect damage... hell yeah, but glass cannon builds do 100k+ dps easily, yaay :p

Yea but this doesnt really reflect the nature of DH and also Wizard too.

Ya know you want us to sacrifice dps for surviveability so we'll kill slower but stay alive, in that idea, why wouldn't we just switch over to Barb or Monk for the default 30% damage reduction bonus? That way we could actually survive much longer...its really more of a barb/monks job to balance that.

Also dex/vit/RA gear is pretty friggen expensive.

DH's even with high all resist and high HP are still going to get crushed in a few hits in Inferno...

They need to find a way that the game plays for both ranged and non-ranged classes. Reflect Damage doesn't do that imo.

Vodh

Yea but this doesnt really reflect the nature of DH and also Wizard too.

Ya know you want us to sacrifice dps for surviveability so we'll kill slower but stay alive, in that idea, why wouldn't we just switch over to Barb or Monk for the default 30% damage reduction bonus? That way we could actually survive much longer...its really more of a barb/monks job to balance that.

Also dex/vit/RA gear is pretty friggen expensive.

DH's even with high all resist and high HP are still going to get crushed in a few hits in Inferno...

They need to find a way that the game plays for both ranged and non-ranged classes. Reflect Damage doesn't do that imo.

I play DH and Wizard, neither of them has godly gear. On my wizard 5.8 lifesteal staff solved any issues against reflect damage instantly. On the DH I have no lifesteal or LoH, but I'm doing just fine with smokescreen and when I was using Shadow Power: Gloom the reflect damage was even more laughable.

Get over it. It's not like they are unkillable, they just reqire you to use some kind of a defensive skill or have some loh/life steal. And if you want to run around with no defensive skills and absolutely no survi on your gear then you might as well walk around naked during the winter and then complain that it's cold outside...

turnbuckle

Yeah, I'm not having this incredibly easy and fast time of it either. I do alright, but compared to my roommate who plays a wizard I'm not nearly as efficient at killing things. He'll have his archon up for several minutes at a time, melt through a few areas, and then have his archon available again. When we play coop I feel ashamed at how much slower I kill enemies than him. He won't even play co-op anymore because it slows him down so much. And he's going with full magic find too. I try to get close, but have to make heavy concessions to damage or live or vitality if I wanted to be max MF.

I use a rend barbarian with 2 1-handers.
I bought a few things this morning (heh, i re-installed it last night, I'm weak) that upgrade my damage by a fair amount but they don't show up on my profile yet.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Turnbuckle-1273/hero/25338934

Celegus

Yeah, I'm not having this incredibly easy and fast time of it either. I do alright, but compared to my roommate who plays a wizard I'm not nearly as efficient at killing things. He'll have his archon up for several minutes at a time, melt through a few areas, and then have his archon available again. When we play coop I feel ashamed at how much slower I kill enemies than him. He won't even play co-op anymore because it slows him down so much. And he's going with full magic find too. I try to get close, but have to make heavy concessions to damage or live or vitality if I wanted to be max MF.

I use a rend barbarian with 2 1-handers.
I bought a few things this morning (heh, i re-installed it last night, I'm weak) that upgrade my damage by a fair amount but they don't show up on my profile yet.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Turnbuckle-1273/hero/25338934

T'was a nice try, but fruitless! Have you tried any other classes much? I'm rubbish at Wizard, never know what skills to take and generally just not a fan of the playstyle.

sleepykyo

Does nothing? That whirlwind nerf seems to have hurt a lot.

turnbuckle

Does nothing? That whirlwind nerf seems to have hurt a lot.

Feels more like a nerf to other builds that use run like the wind than a nerf to whirlwind. They cut the fury cost of WW by a good amount to help offset the fury lost with the lowered proc on run like the wind, but as far as I can tell nothing else has received a similar treatment. One thing I did as soon as I heard about the changes was look for belts on the AH that had lifesteal, max fury, and a 5 fury cost reduction to rend. I'll probably have to equip one of the belts like that that I purchased after the patch, but my DPS, vitality, and resistance are going to suffer.

turnbuckle

T'was a nice try, but fruitless! Have you tried any other classes much? I'm rubbish at Wizard, never know what skills to take and generally just not a fan of the playstyle.

I've played a monk for awhile and have a lvl 60 demon hunter too. I won't switch to another class now since I'm at paragon lvl 48. Once I get a good ring from the infernal machine and the price of leoric's signets tank I might work on an alt, but not before.

Zvolen12

Neo Member
Why the complaints about the Monk, they didn’t get nerfed at all nor will they much at all in 1.05 or did I miss something?

Haha I just realized you can click the Salvage icon and just go through all your items and click on each , I've been dragging each blue into the salvage spot.

Vodh

Lol. Good for you :D

The next step is to start ignoring all blues - makes the pace of a farming run so much better! and when you return to town with a bag full of yellows it's much more likely to find at least one sellable item.

linsivvi

Why the complaints about the Monk, they didn’t get nerfed at all nor will they much at all in 1.05 or did I miss something?

When they say all defensive abilities will be nerfed but players will still see a net gain, they didn't consider that monk was designed so poorly that 90% of the monks will need to use all 3 defensive passives just to survive. So while the net gain in survivability of the defensive passives is in line with those of the other classes, the real gain is much smaller since they are essentially nerfed twice, especially to monks with high dex.

Not being able to dodge reflect damage, with dex being monk's main stat, also makes it extremely tough to fight those elites, even when you have good life gain.

Will monk still work in 1.0.5? Yes, certainly. Farming efficiency will be much lowered compared to where they stood among the other classes, and monk wasn't doing particularly hot before the patch in the first place.

In before the ridiculous "play at a lower MP level" argument that totally ignore the fact that certain classes with similar gears can handle a higher level.

Celegus

Feels more like a nerf to other builds that use run like the wind than a nerf to whirlwind. They cut the fury cost of WW by a good amount to help offset the fury lost with the lowered proc on run like the wind, but as far as I can tell nothing else has received a similar treatment. One thing I did as soon as I heard about the changes was look for belts on the AH that had lifesteal, max fury, and a 5 fury cost reduction to rend. I'll probably have to equip one of the belts like that that I purchased after the patch, but my DPS, vitality, and resistance are going to suffer.

Just curious, but why would you need extra fury and lower cost for rend? If that's your only fury spender, I don't see how you would have a problem generating enough to keep rend on every enemy. It doesn't use much fury and doesn't stack.

turnbuckle

Just curious, but why would you need extra fury and lower cost for rend? If that's your only fury spender, I don't see how you would have a problem generating enough to keep rend on every enemy. It doesn't use much fury and doesn't stack.

I'm aware rend doesn't stack :p Both my sprint and rend use 20 fury, and i use both skills frequently. With the reduced proc for run like the wind I'll be getting less life on hit (why I'll need to use rend more frequently as a healing option) and less fury from into the fray (why I want my belt that cuts the cost of rend by 25%). Oftentimes I'll find myself capped out on fury but can bottom out really quickly when there are few mobs around. Having a higher max fury will give me an extra use of rend when my fury is capped than it does now.

They're taking away our ability to dodge reflect damage in 1.0.5. People are having trouble with that. It's a pretty big nerf to DPS monks.

Additionally, the added diffculty is just bringing out a lot of what's wrong with general character design anyay. Lack of offensive passives, lack of quality skills / runes. They know what's wrong with the class (we have to use a bunch of bland defensive skills with offensive runes to do damage) and they propose additing distance to dashing strike and taking away knockback being standard on lashing tail kick. It's mind boggling that they think this is interesting.

Dahbomb

Haha I just realized you can click the Salvage icon and just go through all your items and click on each , I've been dragging each blue into the salvage spot.
You can also keep one hand on the Enter button and just click then enter to quickly salvage stuff.

linsivvi

They're taking away our ability to dodge reflect damage in 1.0.5. People are having trouble with that. It's a pretty big nerf to DPS monks.

Additionally, the added diffculty is just bringing out a lot of what's wrong with general character design anyay. Lack of offensive passives, lack of quality skills / runes. They know what's wrong with the class (we have to use a bunch of bland defensive skills with offensive runes to do damage) and they propose additing distance to dashing strike and taking away knockback being standard on lashing tail kick. It's mind boggling that they think this is interesting.

It's funny that they've created a melee class that can do a lot of damage, capable of increasing their crit chance, crit damage and run speed significantly, which is fine.

Let's just accept that barbarian is the offensive class and monk is the survivalist, and we can never match their farming efficiency since the game is all about killing shit.

So what about defense? Now that war cry - impunity can only increase resistance by 20%, monks can finally match that by using deadly reach - keen eye and mantra of healing - time of need: A shitty main attack skill plus a useless healing mantra that doesn't scale, while barbs just need 1 skill that gives them resource to achieve the same thing. Oh, and let's nerf 2 of the 3 passives that you need and threaten to nerf the 3rd one in a future patch.

Like you pointed out, the worst part is that they still don't seem to realize the huge discrepancy between the 2 melee classes and don't see the need to address it.

Zvolen12

Neo Member
When they say all defensive abilities will be nerfed but players will still see a net gain, they didn't consider that monk was designed so poorly that 90% of the monks will need to use all 3 defensive passives just to survive. So while the net gain in survivability of the defensive passives is in line with those of the other classes, the real gain is much smaller since they are essentially nerfed twice, especially to monks with high dex.

Not being able to dodge reflect damage, with dex being monk's main stat, also makes it extremely tough to fight those elites, even when you have good life gain.

Will monk still work in 1.0.5? Yes, certainly. Farming efficiency will be much lowered compared to where they stood among the other classes, and monk wasn't doing particularly hot before the patch in the first place.

In before the ridiculous "play at a lower MP level" argument that totally ignore the fact that certain classes with similar gears can handle a higher level.

Ah, I see what you mean. I thought they specifically came out and said they were nerfing a offensive skills, not like we have one worth nerfing anyways.

Honestly I had no idea Monks could dodge reflect damage in the first place, that explains why I did so well against it before. So, yes that will significantly hinder progress. I agree, I mainly use one offensive ability then use a bunch of defensive skills with offensive runes in order to deal damage.

Thank you both for your input, much appreciated.

Dahbomb

LOL they doubled up the damage on Sentry again.

"Mr Jay Wilson we buffed Sentry so that you can have 2 at one time.... people still aren't using it"

Jay: "So you double it again you morans!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom