• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talaysen

Just played a public game. Within five minutes of joining a legendary Two-Handed Axe dropped.

Vj6Jz.jpg

Doesn't seem to be worth a lot because of all the low damage rolls? Even though I got double Int and some Vit. I see better ones starting at 28m.

Maybe I'll just give it to my witch doctor, though if I sell it now and hang on to the gold until after the patch, maybe I could get something just as good for cheaper later? Decisions...

Just played a public game. Within five minutes of joining a legendary Two-Handed Axe dropped.

Vj6Jz.jpg

Doesn't seem to be worth a lot because of all the low damage rolls? Even though I got double Int and some Vit. I see better ones starting at 28m.

Maybe I'll just give it to my witch doctor, though if I sell it now and hang on to the gold until after the patch, maybe I could get something just as good for cheaper later? Decisions...

Yeah =( tough rolls on that skorn.

It really pisses me off when I see this... why make the rolls so random on such rare weapons, just to get you disappointed =/

M.D

I wonder where I'd be in life if I dedicated half of the time I put into Diablo 3 for things that actually matter

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
What the fuck....literally WTF. both of these drop within 3 mobs of each other

Mspu8.jpg

edit:
and they're exactly the same.

Ouz7N.jpg

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Mspu8.jpg

edit:

Ouz7N.jpg

I've always had a feeling that the RNG isn't rng-ish with loot in this game. Some people just get way too much and some get way too little. And then a lot of people describe runs where many legendaries drop within a few minutes of each other. Your warmongers are obviously a glitch in the Diablo matrix but that happened to someone a few pages back where they got two of the exact same rares from the same mob pack.

Wonder if blizz knows.

Wolfie5

I had a glitch in the matrix drop as well, not to long ago. But it was only 2 tokens for the follower. The stats were exactly the same.

Rufus

And then a lot of people describe runs where many legendaries drop within a few minutes of each other.
There are of course people who just plain get lucky, it's in the nature of the thing. But you have to be careful judging these things by feel, because we tend to fool ourselves believing in streaks and such. What matters most is how maximized someone's chances are. How many times do you get to you the wheel in an hour, basically. How much does someone play, how efficient are they and what is their P-level. Chances are these all differ from person to person. In that sense, yes, Blizzard knows. They made it that way.

Besides MF though, the most important part is how many mobs you kill. When Alkaizer raced to P100, he had a ton of legendaries drop, owing mostly to the fact that he killed a LOT of things (and since he was gaining MF with ever P-level, the rate increased). It's no wonder most legendaries drop from white mobs (and previously weapon racks and such), there are simply a lot more of them.

kennah

My run partner and I had the exact same one handed axe drop from the same mob for both of us. I still have them both in my stash

Mspu8.jpg

edit:

Ouz7N.jpg

A glitch in the system. Has happened a couple times to me since playing. Though both times were complete vendor trash rares. Those at least look like brimstones.

offtopic

There are of course people who just plain get lucky, it's in the nature of the thing. But you have to be careful judging these things by feel, because we tend to fool ourselves believing in streaks and such. What matters most is how maximized someone's chances are. How many times do you get to you the wheel in an hour, basically. How much does someone play, how efficient are they and what is their P-level. Chances are these all differ from person to person. In that sense, yes, Blizzard knows. They made it that way.

Besides MF though, the most important part is how many mobs you kill. When Alkaizer raced to P100, he had a ton of legendaries drop, owing mostly to the fact that he killed a LOT of things (and since he was gaining MF with ever P-level, the rate increased). It's no wonder most legendaries drop from white mobs (and previously weapon racks and such), there are simply a lot more of them.

Well, I'd say that there is a "feel" for what is going on and then there is hard evidence of things not working "right" when two of the exact same items drop. How should that even be possible when loot is generated on the fly as mobs are killed? The fact that the exact items are dropping from separate mobs definitely indicates that isn't the mechanic in place. There is some "memory" or "pre-rolling" that is going on somewhere. If that is happening it makes me question the whole system - especially with the seeming uneven distribution of legendaries.

As for examining what is important, all that matters is p level, MF and what acts they run since that tells you how many mobs have been killed and the loot table involved. So I'm p28 almost entirely act3, about 240% MF (before NV) and found only one legendary worth anything (a poorly rolled source that I sold for 19m). Meanwhile folks with much less time are rolling in legendaries and hitting huge jackpots fairly routinely. My chance of getting a "jackpot" before their next jackpot? Exactly the same in theory...in reality...I'm not so sure...I'd bet on them.

turnbuckle

Not sure if anyone else has used it, but my roommate and I use this program called LootAlert. You can have it set to make a sound whenever a legendary or plan drops. You can also set it to make a sound whenever a goblin is near or a level 63 (62 ring and amulet) drops. I mean, you can set it to any level but those are the defaults and the settings I'm sure most people would be interested in. Makes farming more efficient and greatly reduces the risk of missing a legendary or plan/design on the ground.

M.D

Not sure if anyone else has used it, but my roommate and I use this program called LootAlert. You can have it set to make a sound whenever a legendary or plan drops. You can also set it to make a sound whenever a goblin is near or a level 63 (62 ring and amulet) drops. I mean, you can set it to any level but those are the defaults and the settings I'm sure most people would be interested in. Makes farming more efficient and greatly reduces the risk of missing a legendary or plan/design on the ground.

Sounds awesome, but can it get you banned?

Rufus

Well, I'd say that there is a "feel" for what is going on and then there is hard evidence of things not working "right" when two of the exact same items drop.
Well, yeah. That is very likely some sort of glitch, considering how difficult it is to find two rares with the same stats on the AH. Too many variables.

Meanwhile folks with much less time are rolling in legendaries and hitting huge jackpots fairly routinely. My chance of getting a "jackpot" before their next jackpot? Exactly the same in theory...in reality...I'm not so sure...I'd bet on them.
Well, we're in the realm of streaks or perceived streaks. I'm not sure those people exists, or if so, how big their number is in relation to unlucky people like us. Outside of one very lucky bugger in this thread, whose name I forgot (sorry) I can't think of any serial jackpots. I don't even know how much he plays so he might not even be lucky, just maximizing chances. (That said, outliers stick out and make a stronger impression than masses of non-outliers. Something to keep in mind.)

There's no reason to believe that those people are 'streaking' or that their drop rates are somehow operating differently than ours. Take a pair of dice and have two people roll them a hundred times. It may very well be that one person will roll two sixes a lot more often than another. Do it a thousand or ten thousand times and both rates would level out eventually. It's just the nature of the thing, it's random. Humans look for patterns and whether or not they are there, we tend to find them.

Definity

Sounds awesome, but can it get you banned?

It sounds cool enough and I thought about installing it but stopped when I read the description. Have no idea how blizz feels about this but I'm not taking any chances. Besides, in patch 1.05 legendary drops are easier to see with a new sound and marker.

What it does
Plays a sound everytime a new legendary (or other items depending on settings) is dropped. Here is an image that shows the approximate range: http://i.imgur.com/vRjli.jpg. Left side is where I dropped the item and right side is where I heard the sound.

How it works
Uses memory reading to detect items. Sound files and exe must be in the same folder. You can replace the sound files with whatever you want, just make sure the name doesn't change.

Why I made this
I play a barb with the Sprint/WW build, and mobs usually die offscreen. This makes sure I do not miss any legendaries or set items that drops.

Rufus

Yeeeah, I'd steer clear of anything that reads memory. That said, 1.0.5 will highlight legendaries (sound, a beacon of light, map marker), so that thing will at least partially be redundant 'soon' anyway. I wouldn't risk it.

turnbuckle

Well, my roommate and I have been using it for about a month and it's to address an issue blizzard has admitted is a problem. I won't be using it after the patch, but don't feel a bit of concern using it before.

turnbuckle

I would use that program... But I don't get legendaries, so I'm not concerned about it. Haha.

I'm certain I've missed legendaries before, and I'm certain I've missed several jc designs and BS plans. Especially the designs. I haven't had much luck lately, either. Got 3 legendaries in about 15 minutes yesterday, and the combined value of them is probably less than 2 million gold. :(

M.D

Yeah... I rather wait then risk anything. I'm glad they're also adding visual feedback because I never play the game with sound

offtopic

Well, yeah. That is very likely some sort of glitch, considering how difficult it is to find two rares with the same stats on the AH. Too many variables.

Well, we're in the realm of streaks or perceived streaks. I'm not sure those people exists, or if so, how big their number is in relation to unlucky people like us. Outside of one very lucky bugger in this thread, whose name I forgot (sorry) I can't think of any serial jackpots. I don't even know how much he plays so he might not even be lucky, just maximizing chances. (That said, outliers stick out and make a stronger impression than masses of non-outliers. Something to keep in mind.)

There's no reason to believe that those people are 'streaking' or that their drop rates are somehow operating differently than ours. Take a pair of dice and have two people roll them a hundred times. It may very well be that one person will roll two sixes a lot more often than another. Do it a thousand or ten thousand times and both rates would level out eventually. It's just the nature of the thing, it's random. Humans look for patterns and whether or not they are there, we tend to find them.

I'd be inclined to agree with you about the perception of 'streakiness' of the game but the duplicate item glitch combined with my perception that there are 'streaks' based on what players report...I'm thinking there is something going on in the background. What, I do not know. I do know that if I find a legendary I will not exit my run until everything in the act is killed...just in case.

Also, it is poor system as we've noted before. Pure chance is stupid. They really need to give players a way to improve their chances if they haven't had a legendary drop in a while. Either increase %s based on xp since last drop or let us sacrifice rares or something to improve the % chance.

There does need to maybe be an increase in chance after certain hours of not getting any.

Not a hard limit where one will pop after not seeing one for a length of time, just a gradual increase that resets when you finally get one.

I'm on day 6 of no legendary. Not like I've never found them either I've had days I find two and am on 19 but havent found 20. Havent even seen a set item yet, yet people found six or more!

Edit: So I'm no closer to getting one then someone who just got a legendary/set piece and that feels wrong.

turnbuckle

I'd be inclined to agree with you about the perception of 'streakiness' of the game but the duplicate item glitch combined with my perception that there are 'streaks' based on what players report...I'm thinking there is something going on in the background. What, I do not know. I do know that if I find a legendary I will not exit my run until everything in the act is killed...just in case.

Also, it is poor system as we've noted before. Pure chance is stupid. They really need to give players a way to improve their chances if they haven't had a legendary drop in a while. Either increase %s based on xp since last drop or let us sacrifice rares or something to improve the % chance.

I do think there's something at play more than chance. Some runs (run usually takes an hour and a half or two) I'll get multiple blacksmith plans, some runs I'll get a lot of rings or a lot of amulets, some runs I'll get a lot of one type of lvl 63 weapon, etc. Certainly things like this should be expected in a game of random chance, but it happens so frequently that it seems like there's something else going on behind the scenes. In just the core of Arreat with 3 elites/champions yesterday I got 3 rare lvl 53 witch doctor item. I can't remember the name now, but it was an item i wasn't familiar with by its unidentified name. I'm sure I had a rare one of those or two drop over the past several hundred hours of playing, but I pay pretty good attention to everything that drops and I didn't remember seeing one of these items as a rare. And I got 3 of them, in like 4 minutes time in the same area. Also got 2 Slayers in the same time from those mobs. Didn't get another of either the next 5 hours of gameplay.

Rufus

I'd rather have a way to customize gear, but they cut that because they felt it was redundant (they actually ran out of time/didn't really know what they were doing). Give me some way to customize my character beyond having to grind for drops. Something.

Talaysen

While I do kind of agree with you, if they did implement something like that, they'd have to lower the base chance if they wanted to compensate, otherwise the expected drop rate rises. If they did the math right and kept the expected drop rate the same (or raised it!), I would prefer a system like that.

Talaysen

Check out my wizard's sweet pompadour! Somehow her hair got blown on top of her head... it was pretty awesome.

She also needs help. I'm pretty terrible still at playing wizard, not sure if archon is the way to go or what is useful as far as skills go. I think most of her equipment is more or less okay minus the rings. Any helpful wizard tips would be fantastic.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Celegus-1599/hero/17432335

I don't see how Cold Blooded is helping you any since you aren't using any ice spells. Look into Evocation if you have trouble keeping Archon up.

And yes, with those stats, Archon is probably the way to go. Just make sure you don't get hit!

Riggs

Banned
I have not been active in D3 since OT 1. How are the drops now?

What I mean is do I still have to use the AH to get stuff for my character? Or is stuff actually dropping that I can use? Over 200+ hrs and barely got any upgrades that dropped in inferno, had to use AH for everything.

Would really love to come back to the game but if it's still all about the AH I have zero interest. Any insight you current players have is appreciated.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I haven not been active in D3 since OT 1. How are the drops now?

What I mean is do I still have to use the AH to get stuff for my character? Or is stuff actually dropping that I can use? Over 200+ hrs and barely got any upgrades that dropped in inferno, had to use AH for everything.

Check back in a week or two when the New patch is out

Celegus

I don't see how Cold Blooded is helping you any since you aren't using any ice spells. Look into Evocation if you have trouble keeping Archon up.

And yes, with those stats, Archon is probably the way to go. Just make sure you don't get hit!

Oh, I have cold blooded on because I use the Scoundrel follower with multishot and a cold bow. Or, was planning to, I think he still needs geared. I might switch it though, because I get eaten alive if archon isn't charged up again yet. I read that Living Lightning and WW Storm Chaser proc CM the most for charging Archon, is that accurate?

turnbuckle

Ya figured everything was the same, my friend has been on that public realm for 1.05 and loves the changes. Oh well =/ Thanks for reply.
Things are a lot better than before, but the new patch is going to get it closer to where it needs to be. Double legendary drop rates, affixes based on enemy's level, improved mf and exp with monster power levels (basically an option to increase the difficulty within an act for better rewards), and an event to get a ring that'll be quite good and potentially BiS depending on the affixes. 1.04 added a lot of good stuff, 1.05 is going to be fixing even more. This really has been like a beta, but I'd rather that than blizzard never improving the game.

Anyone wanna sell me a non–legacy leorics signet for 25 million? Lol :(

Definity

Got a Tal's set helm about an hour after the string of skulls set item dropped yesterday. I stopped playing and ran out to play the lottery, lol. I just recently went over 200% MF with NV and paragon and I'm for sure seeing more legendary drops.

I was hoping to see patch 1.05 drop yesterday but I guess we have another week or two of farming act 3.

What are some "safe" upgrades to make pre-patch.

I'm hesitant to upgrade legendaries/set items because in theory they'll be 50% cheaper after the patch and we all know rings and amulets will be dirty cheap also soon.

Gloves? Main weapon?

syllogism

There are never any "safe" upgrades. If you think the upgrade will not allow you to farm more efficiently either right now or right when 1.05 hits, I suppose it's safer to wait a bit. Prices aren't going to tank immediately when 1.05 hits, only when the market is saturated enough for the demand to go down. Presumable 1.05 will also bring some players back so the demand might be higher for a bit.

turnbuckle

There are never any "safe" upgrades. If you think the upgrade will not allow you to farm more efficiently either right now or right when 1.05 hits, I suppose it's safer to wait a bit. Prices aren't going to tank immediately when 1.05 hits, only when the market is saturated enough for the demand to go down. Presumable 1.05 will also bring some players back so the demand might be higher for a bit.

Yeah, I'd think it might be a good idea to buy gold if you have any blizz bucks rather than buying any upgrades (unless it's a very good upgrade). I expect a gold spike for a few days after the patch drops. I have about $42 in blizz bucks atm and gold is around 56 cents per million. Awfully tempted to just spend it all on gold and hope to see the prices go back up in the $1.30-1.60 range.

Talaysen

Oh, I have cold blooded on because I use the Scoundrel follower with multishot and a cold bow. Or, was planning to, I think he still needs geared. I might switch it though, because I get eaten alive if archon isn't charged up again yet. I read that Living Lightning and WW Storm Chaser proc CM the most for charging Archon, is that accurate?

Storm Chase is unusuably good for it (I run it in my build for that reason). Don't know about Living Lightning though.

Vicros

Any gaffers with monks do monster power 10 yet?

I can "do" it in that I can slowly slog my way through it. I'm at 71k dps and it takes roughly 65 years to kill elite mobs. If they are extra health mobs it just becomes ridiculous.

I think I'll stick with monster level 5. From test runs that seems to be the sweet spot for me in terms of bonus verses time. You get crazy bonuses to exp and magic find at level 10 but its still a net loss in terms of progress, unless you have really great dps and can chew through stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom