• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
iWP5Z.png

Found this earlier and pretty stoked about it. Wish it had higher ias or crit damage but it's still the best rare I've found in quite a while.

THat's really awesome. Are you a monk?

414 life on hit is nothing to sneeze at, too.

Prinny

What is a wizard supposed to do against (horde) reflect damage?

Every time I increase my dps it gets worse. Blood magic isn't helping.

My monk is still trying to figure that one out as well.

Horde / Reflect damage has me kiting with occasional hits to keep sweeping wind up until serenity pops. I have to try and pull enemies around until I can hit just one or two of them. Maybe I should drop sweeping wind AOE. Thunderclap still hurts on it's thrid hit though. I've had exploding palm kill me too.

I have 1000 LOH and 2.1 APS with decent resistances and armor too.

EDIT: MP5+ is where it really becomes noticable. It's less noticable for me in groups because the enemies get spread out more.

M.D

Put my armor for 700M bid/1B buyout lol

I'm just waiting to see how similar ones to mine sell. There are 2 right now with better stats and one is at 146M with 21 hours to go, the other is at 262M with 11 hours to go. I want to see how crazy it gets towards the end.

I'm thinking of what I should buy right now... I guess I'll go for Inna's Temperance + Favor + Natalya's Bloody Footprints

I'm also bidding on some amulet right now, hope I get it.

syllogism

I've 4.5% life steal and even at mp6 I gain health against reflect mobs (archon). Get a better weapon or stack more resistances.

knitoe

They are a pain in the ass for my wiz is a critical mass / twister/ archon build with 130K dps. Against them, I end up kiting them with twister / diamond skin.

I've 4.5% life steal and even at mp6 I gain health against reflect mobs (archon). Get a better weapon or stack more resistances.
What's your dps and resist? Also, attack speed and crit chance? Link to your character profile would be great. That way I can see what I need to upgrade next.

FaidSint

I just picked this hat up for my monk of the AH with a winning bid of 250k. I feel like I totally lucked out, cause it seems like its got great stats, and it is right in line for what I am going for (trying to add some DPS, but also tanky. What do you guys think of it?

vxERL.png

syllogism

What's your dps and resist? Also, attack speed and crit chance?
280k dps and maybe 800 of relevant resist without archon. I don't see how the latter two are relevant when using archon and discussing reflect damage, but I guess crit is around 50 and ias 1.8ish. I don't use energy armor either.

Prinny

My monk is still trying to figure that one out as well.

Horde / Reflect damage has me kiting with occasional hits to keep sweeping wind up until serenity pops. I have to try and pull enemies around until I can hit just one or two of them. Maybe I should drop sweeping wind AOE. Thunderclap still hurts on it's thrid hit though. I've had exploding palm kill me too.

I have 1000 LOH and 2.1 APS with decent resistances and armor too.

EDIT: MP5+ is where it really becomes noticable. It's less noticable for me in groups because the enemies get spread out more.
Even on MP3 they can destroy me, especially when they're Demonic Tremor or Phase Beast.

*diamond skin* attack *diamond skin breaks* attack *potion* run in circles/collect health globes *repeat*

Usually my hydra or blizzard ends up killing me.

Even on MP3 they can destroy me, especially when they're Demonic Tremor or Phase Beast.

*diamond skin* attack *diamond skin breaks* attack *potion* run in circles/collect health globes *repeat*

Usually my hydra or blizzard ends up killing me.

Phase Beasts are terrible. lol

Vodh

Get a weapon with Life Steal. A 1hander with 2-3% helps, a 2hander with 5%+ eliminates the problem completely. Sure, it's pretty expensive if you want good stats too, but it's not like there's no answer ;) As long as you have decent Armor, AR and HP it makes non-reflect damage encounters much easier too.

For RD, Life Steal is the only solution. I generally consider LoH much better than LS, but for RD, there's only life steal. You need over 3%, life 5-6 to really overcome RD.

It sucks if you're any class other than barb, though, because the only way to get around it is either by dual wielding or having a 3% life steal weapon + LoH on other equips, which will take away from some of your dps. It's a curse to monks now, since our healing skills just basically blow.

I saw a very good DPS ammy with 900 LoH for 1b in the AH the other day. If I had dropped one of those, I basically wouldn't ever have to worry about defense stats with my monk like, ever.

BTW, does armor and resist affect RD?

Lifesteal isn't what I want to hear. My shenlongs has LOH and so does my hellfire ring. lol.

It sucks they don't have lifesteal on any armor but a barb belt.

turnbuckle

For my barb, lifesteal is so much better than life on hit now. I use a belt with 2.8 life steal, and in MP3 or less this allows me to use a wonderful offhand weapon that puts my dps close to 100k unbuffed. For MP4 and higher I switch my offhand to a weapon with lifesteal on it and life on hit. Reflect damage is a nightmare, it used to be that I laughed at that affix.

So I played for about 3 hours last night and got close to 10 legendaries. They may have lowered the drop rate on them a bit in a steal hotfix, but legendaries have been pretty common. Some nights I'll get 0 or 1 in 3-4 hours of play, other nights I'll get 3-4, and every now and then it'll be a bonanza. MF over 420 with neph and MP.

turnbuckle

Do monks care for scorns at all? I had a skorn drop this morning (played for about 15 mins) that had about 1394 dps, 400+ Dex, 100+vit, 180+ Crit damage, and a socket.

Not sure how to price it. If it were strength that rolled I'd certainly be using that.

Oh, and starting to really enjoy whirlwinding, but man it can be a pain on my right hand. I love my mouse, but wonder if I should pick up something else. Having shoulder surgery tomorrow so not sure if/when I'll be able to play again. Doc says not to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup for about 8 weeks after the procedure. :(

Shouta

Do monks care for scorns at all? I had a skorn drop this morning (played for about 15 mins) that had about 1394 dps, 400+ Dex, 100+vit, 180+ Crit damage, and a socket.

Not sure how to price it. If it were strength that rolled I'd certainly be using that.

Oh, and starting to really enjoy whirlwinding, but man it can be a pain on my right hand. I love my mouse, but wonder if I should pick up something else. Having shoulder surgery tomorrow so not sure if/when I'll be able to play again. Doc says not to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup for about 8 weeks after the procedure. :(

I would totally use that Skorn myself, lol.

They do like skorn. That should sell but not for big bucks. Needs life steal or LOH to be worth big bucks for a monk. A monk using the weapon you got would need to move all LOH to rings and ammys.

Talaysen

Depends on your build. I run a CM/WW build and just go in there and start spamming things and do fine. With Prismatic Armor up, 2.2% life steal, and 579 life on hit, I still gain life even if Diamond Skin wears off. Here's my profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Talaysen-1383/hero/5623738 . (The Storm Crow does add life on hit, but I was doing fine without that, too.)

One thing you can do, as mentioned, is to get a 2H with 6% life steal. Swap it in when you find something with reflect damage. Since you're not going to be using it all the time, you don't have to be too picky on stats. Just don't forget to swap everything back afterwards...

For RD, Life Steal is the only solution. I generally consider LoH much better than LS, but for RD, there's only life steal. You need over 3%, life 5-6 to really overcome RD.

Yeah, life steal is generally better against reflect damage. If you use life on hit, and then get more DPS, the life on hit doesn't scale up, while life steal does.

I will point out that life steal is better than life on hit at high damage values. At say 100k DPS, then a 100% damage skill will return 600 life per target hit at 3% life steal. Since life on hit has the proc coefficient thing, even if you have 1000 life on hit, you may get less than 600 of it. Or 0 since some skills have 0 proc coefficient. Of course, the breakeven points depend on class and build, but at some point, life steal will be better. I have ~70k (sheet) DPS and I think I get more from my 2.2% life steal than my 579 life on hit. But my proc coefficients kind of suck.

BTW, does armor and resist affect RD?

They do, yeah. If you get enough of them, then you can heal up faster than you take damage with just life steal. You need to have an effective damage reduction of 94% from both (assuming 3% life steal), though, so it's pretty high... If you dual wield / 2H for 6% life steal, you only need 88%.

Lifesteal isn't what I want to hear. My shenlongs has LOH and so does my hellfire ring. lol.

It sucks they don't have lifesteal on any armor but a barb belt.

I use both. I suggest getting life steal on your weapon if you can, then getting the life on hit on rings/amulets. Your DPS is probably high enough that life steal is better than life on hit anyway.

I use both. I suggest getting life steal on your weapon if you can, then getting the life on hit on rings/amulets. Your DPS is probably high enough that life steal is better than life on hit anyway.

Sort of frustrating. I don't think shenlongs have lifesteal. If the set is supposed to be for endgame, why make the sustainability aspect of the set be useless against a rather common elite affix? The only armor piece lifesteal comes on is a barb's belt. Meaning my aquiring this set was .... well ... not time well spent?

Monk also proc LOH better than most classes. So 1000 LOH for me is really more like 2000 I believe. There's a chart somehwere, but Thunderclap's 3rd stricke is 300% LOH proc IIRC. I also have almost 1K life regen too.

The main issue is that LOH doesn't proc with our AOE attacks even though RD does. Which is why I have to try and hit single enemies and not groups. It's also why I hate horde combined with RD. This used to be mitigated by our ability to dodge RD, but they took that away.

turnbuckle

Level up a Witch Doctor! Let your pets do all the work! :)

and give me all your barb gear

I might actually level up a WD while I'm in recovery. I have one at level 5 or 6 now. I've been crafting +vit hellfire rings specifically to be able to get a good roll that'll be interchangeable between classes.

Hope to get 2 more rings tonight, bringing my total to 4. If I could get my roomie to do MP10 and roll with me I could get a good start on my WD.

--

Ha, just checked and my hellfire ring has 260 vitality, 76 intelligence, 27 max damage, 27 arcane resist, 5% attack speed along with the standard 35% exp and hellfire ball. Think that'll work quite well on the WD :)

turnbuckle

They do like skorn. That should sell but not for big bucks. Needs life steal or LOH to be worth big bucks for a monk. A monk using the weapon you got would need to move all LOH to rings and ammys.

I suspected as much. Everything on the weapon is great except for the lifesteal. Unfortunately, that's one of the things that really needs to be great :p

Sort of frustrating. I don't think shenlongs have lifesteal. If the set is supposed to be for endgame, why make the sustainability aspect of the set be useless against a rather common elite affix? The only armor piece lifesteal comes on is a barb's belt. Meaning my aquiring this set was .... well ... not time well spent?

Monk also proc LOH better than most classes. So 1000 LOH for me is really more like 2000 I believe. There's a chart somehwere, but Thunderclap's 3rd stricke is 300% LOH proc IIRC. I also have almost 1K life regen too.

The main issue is that LOH doesn't proc with our AOE attacks even though RD does. Which is why I have to try and hit single enemies and not groups. It's also why I hate horde combined with RD. This used to be mitigated by our ability to dodge RD, but they took that away.

I actually don't think Shen Long's are end game equip. It's a good set, but you can get a lot more dps by having rare weapons or echoing fury. A shen long with over 1.1k dps and a sock is insanely expensive, and not as effective as some other weapons.

I disagree with LS healing more than LoH, especially for monks. I've had 900 LoH and 3% Life Steal weapons, and I definitely get more healing out of 900 LoH than 3% LS, even at 100k DPS. Even as a 1 hander, I have 1.74 ASPD, and with most monks Dual Wielding, it's even better when you have ASPD. Off course, if you're a barb and use two handers like Skorn, you'll reap a lot more benefits from LS.

The only thing is that getting higher dps with very high LoH amounts is very hard AFAIK. I haven't seen any 1.1k ++ dps weapons with 800~900 LoH for less than, jee, I don't even know, 50m. I bought a 1 hander with 1.1k DPS + 2.70% life steal at 25m.

So it really depends. If you have very high ASPD, LoH is definitely gonna be better, even if it doesn't proc with Sweeping Wind. If you're slow, LS is going to be better.

If you're any class other than barb, you need both lol

SeigO

Banned
Optimally you want to try to get a 10:1 ratio for armor to resist. The issue is that resist is much easier to get. If you can get 80 resist on a piece of gear or 600 armor, then the 80 resist can still be better even if your armor is too low for that 10:1 ratio. But if it's a choice between 80 resist and 800 armor, then 800 armor is always better if your armor is less than 10x your resist, and the resist is always better if your armor is more than 10x your resist.

So yeah, it's not really an easy question in general. But with 800 AR / 4100 armor, 7 armor is better than 1 all resist. 6 armor is worse. Going from there, getting to 1000 resists would actually be better than getting to 5000 armor.
Huh yeah that's tough to decide then. I'm pretty much done with most of my gear, but I can't decide if I want AR or armor on new Zuni boots and if I should sacrifice my life regen on my chest for a +400 armor boost from a new Zuni's Marrow.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Seig-1365/hero/2235566

turnbuckle

I actually don't think Shen Long's are end game equip. It's a good set, but you can get a lot more dps by having rare weapons or echoing fury. A shen long with over 1.1k dps and a sock is insanely expensive, and not as effective as some other weapons.

I disagree with LS healing more than LoH, especially for monks. I've had 900 LoH and 3% Life Steal weapons, and I definitely get more healing out of 900 LoH than 3% LS, even at 100k DPS. Even as a 1 hander, I have 1.74 ASPD, and with most monks Dual Wielding, it's even better when you have ASPD. Off course, if you're a barb and use two handers like Skorn, you'll reap a lot more benefits from LS.

The only thing is that getting higher dps with very high LoH amounts is very hard AFAIK. I haven't seen any 1.1k ++ dps weapons with 800~900 LoH for less than, jee, I don't even know, 50m. I bought a 1 hander with 1.1k DPS + 2.70% life steal at 25m.

So it really depends. If you have very high ASPD, LoH is definitely gonna be better, even if it doesn't proc with Sweeping Wind. If you're slow, LS is going to be better.

Perhaps for monks, but for High DPS mages and Barbarians lifesteal is so much better than LoH. The lowered proc for WW and Run like the wind gimp life on hit for barbs. I tried subbing out my lifesteal belt for a better resist/armor belt while compensating with 900ish life on hit with a weapon. The healing was not only worse in terms of total numbers, it was too inconsistent. Sometimes it would heal myself quickly, othertimes it would barely keep me alive. Way too spikey with the proc rate, while Lifesteal is only as inconsistent as your damage output.

And if you're using a slow weapon, lifesteal is that much more important than life on hit. That's why Skorn with lifesteal is much better than one with life on hit.

Celegus

As a Barb that used LoH for the longest time until a few days ago and switched to gear that gives me almost 12% life steal (plus using life steal rend), I feel somewhat OP. I used to absolutely hate molten / desecrator / arcane, now I can basically stand in it all day long if I have an enemy or two rended.

Vodh

Which is also why LS is better - sure, on a single hit when you're hitting a single enemy, it's pretty damn hard to overcome LoH's effectiveness. But Life Steal affects all your damage, and if you hit 50 enemies you'll just get healed up back to max, no questions asked.

Also, both parts of Shenlong's set are capable of rolling LS. Just checked. So if you want to think of Shenlongs as a high end weapon, treat the ones that roll LS as the high end, and the other ones as 'well, still pretty damn decent' weapon.

I just checked for 1handers on EU, just DPS and the regen stat, buyout up to 50m. Highest DPS Lifesteal weapon was like 22m and its dps was ~1223, highest DPS LoH weapon was 20m and had about 1220 dps too. Things might get a little bit different when you involve dex, a socket and crit damage, but I think your understanding of the LoH vs Lifesteal market comes from times when people overpriced LoH and underpriced LS. The times have changed.

sleepykyo

Lifesteal can appear on Fist of Legend.

edit: Beaten by Vodh.

I would imagine that Shenlongs were definitely meant to be endgame. Whether that ends up being the final outcome ...

LS doesn't heal monk better than LOH with the exception of AOE attacks. Our proc on LOH is better than any class, but that's only when attacking a single target. Since LOH doesn't proc on our AOE, RD ends up working us when packs swarm. It's why I have to kite RD packs when not grouping.

I guess I could get a skorn w/ LS specifically for RD packs.

I have considered getting a hallowed hand and hallowed storm (these do come with LS ) and get that set bonus (AR & IAS!!!). Both of these can come with native crit and soc too along w/ the LS.

Also, both parts of Shenlong's set are capable of rolling LS. Just checked. So if you want to think of Shenlongs as a high end weapon, treat the ones that roll LS as the high end, and the other ones as 'well, still pretty damn decent' weapon.

Both pieces only roll with one random property. So if you want a SOC (which I have) or CRIT DMG (also have) then you won't have LS on the set.

Wolfie5

Had a reeeeaaaally good day playing D3 today.

First I sold the ring I found earlier for 27m after blizz tax.
DBb8q.jpg

Than I bought this ring for 10m buyout, which I am really happy with:
AK9KM.jpg

Increased my DPS with 3k and has a good life on hit(which has helped a lot, acid rain FTW).

Than I did Act 2 key run, two times at MP4. Each round gave me one key and one legendary. Both were good ones too:
Too bad I am not a DH as these would have been very good upgrades.

Before closing, I checked for a new Mojo and someone had just listed this for 10m buyout, which I bought without hesitation:
(I removed the gem to make a comparison). Increased my DPS with 9k!!!

I have now 101k DPS with PtV and Scoundrel crit bonus :)

sleepykyo

I would imagine that Shenlongs were definitely meant to be endgame. Whether that ends up being the final outcome ...

LS doesn't heal monk better than LOH with the exception of AOE attacks. Our proc on LOH is better than any class, but that's only when attacking a single target. Since LOH doesn't proc on our AOE, RD ends up working us when packs swarm. It's why I have to kite RD packs when not grouping.

Doesn't this support that LS ends being more important? Yeah 2atks/s, but punches do a lot of damage and the cyclone itself ends up doing a lot damage. The LoH won't scale to match the damage caused by having 3-5 units reflect the cyclone damage.

Celegus

That's a really nice Vile Ward and pretty good Manticore. Seeing stuff like this just nudges my brain into that "it's my turn next!" feeling and I end up playing more than I intended to at the beginning of the day. Been a while since I've had a good drop, my last 7 uniques have been garbage.

Keikaku

So who feels like doing this with me? I want to have more characters but getting them to level 60 is a right pain in the ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtoFhd53xI

I have a Paragon Level 14 WD and my next highest is a level 34 Barb. Can anyone spare, oh, 7 or 8 hours (1 character for you, 1 for me). Not all on the same day, unless you're crazy too.

Ajax #1434 on US

I'm actually serious about this. I need some variety but raising all my chars to 60 solo is going to be a bitch.

Doesn't this support that LS ends being more important? Yeah 2atks/s, but punches do a lot of damage and the cyclone itself ends up doing a lot damage. The LoH won't scale to match the damage caused by having 3-5 units reflect the cyclone damage.

Well ... yeah. Which is frustrating me since, what I thought was my end game gear doesn't get it when optimizing for damage output.

None of this would really concern me if my main defensive purpose wasn't nerfed this patch against RD as well.

ALSO: That Vile Ward is really good. I have a comparable one with slightly less vit and it cost me 50m. Post 1.0.5.

Finally get my first Legendary ring drop. It's a Hierophant's Seal. Then right after that I get a Slorak's Madness. KHAAAAAANNNNN!

I've gotten a Band of Hollow Whispers which netted me a huge .25 cents.

To top it all off after about ~15-20 legendaries that dropped on Normal Act II. I finally get a RING I got so excited... its a MANALDS HEAL. NOT LEORICS SIGNET. Wanted to punch a hole in my wall. Next time though...next time!

Shouta

Got another set item just now. a Natalya's Embrace. Probably not worth much considering the stats but hey, got some luck!

MrDaravon

I've gotten a Band of Hollow Whispers which netted me a huge .25 cents.

To top it all off after about ~15-20 legendaries that dropped on Normal Act II. I finally get a RING I got so excited... its a MANALDS HEAL. NOT LEORICS SIGNET. Wanted to punch a hole in my wall. Next time though...next time!

Are Leoric's Signets still a thing? I got the impression with the introduction of MP and the Hellfire Ring I got the impression that people weren't really bothering with it anymore.

Are Leoric's Signets still a thing? I got the impression with the introduction of MP and the Hellfire Ring I got the impression that people weren't really bothering with it anymore.

Oh yea this was a few weeks back before 1.0.5 I dunno about the prices though they've probably fallen. I just do em when I'm bored and noones on. Run through the vauls and caves with my unlimited spirit tempest rush. Its pretty fun actually.

I just got 10m(8.5m) today for selling the same boots with about the same stats. I think I posted a pic of them a page or two back if you care to check.

Keikaku

This is the first Set Item that has ever dropped for me :D

The Dex roll is low and the random roll seems quite bad but-to the AH!

XRYUc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom