• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToD_

The fact that there was no sense of progression outside of a tedious gear grind was definitely one of my major complaints. Happy to see this addressed.

ToD_

Replaced by just a different grind for a miniscule bonus per paragon lvl?

Not really replaced. The gear grind got made slightly more interesting with the updated loot and character improvements. In addition to that there's this added leveling system.

Clearly not what you're looking for, but I see it as a welcome improvement.

syllogism

Based on both datamining sources (diablofans/d3lexicon), crafted legendaries will still mostly suck so now would be a good time to sell any plans/brimstones you may have. I suppose venomhusk might be good.

e: made only 60m in profit selling brimstones

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hell yeah, paragon levels. I'm back in the game again. I love that there's progression again, I don't have to look for MF gear to find decent loot, and suddenly I have something to work towards again!

The only problem is, I have 4 60's now! Am I going to level them equally, or stick to one to take through paragon levels? Choices...

inky

I give it <1 week before people start complaining about the (low) difficulty again :p

It's terrible that this comes so close to GW2 tho. That is going to eat so much of my time.

I have a really basic question about barbarian strategy.

I'm level 53, act 1 hell. I'm getting worked in that underground spider place. Took me forever to get to the checkpoint with the mid-boss spider thing.

I died probably a dozen times.

I'm using two weapons - no shield. Is this viable? My gear is probably crap, though I've been trying to use the auction house. I've bought some of the best blue gear I can find, some yellow. I figure I won't spend big money on gear until 60.

Anyway, is a shield a must? I don't feel like I'm doing enough damage, OR have enough armor. My DPS is between 4000-4500.

Diablo III has to be one of the prime examples for shipping an unfinished product though. I've said it before, and I can't fault them for releasing the game when they did, as it had been in the cooker for too long already, but the Paragon Levels is just another tick on the laundry list of things that should have been in Day 1. Shipping the game in the 1.04 state would have quelled so much of the backlash they've received.

A lot of it goes back to the skill system/runes. They may not have really understood the full repercussions of the late change to the current system, over runes as items, as in that case we may not have even needed this fix (at least so soon) if the highest rank runes were sufficiently rare. I still think they need a skill/rune progression for continued depth and replayability. That was cut when the dropped the item component of runes, and it sorely needs to come back.

Phenomic

So I was happy to read about the Paragon system, but then I was dreadfully disappointed to when I came to the realization that every individual character you have has to level 1 to 100 Paragon.

I just can't do the time devotion to this game anymore, which makes me somewhat sad. I would probably be totally in for this if your Account had Paragon levels 1-100, so I could play a unique class every time, but still get the benefit. There's no way I can possibly pick one of the multiple classes I enjoyed leveling.

Sometimes I wonder if my love for Diablo 2 was more attributed to my age and the years and time it came out rather then it being a game that I absolutely adore on the merits of the game.

Diablo III has to be one of the prime examples for shipping an unfinished product though. I've said it before, and I can't fault them for releasing the game when they did, as it had been in the cooker for too long already, but the Paragon Levels is just another tick on the laundry list of things that should have been in Day 1. Shipping the game in the 1.04 state would have quelled so much of the backlash they've received.

A lot of it goes back to the skill system/runes. They may not have really understood the full repercussions of the late change to the current system, over runes as items, as in that case we may not have even needed this fix (at least so soon) if the highest rank runes were sufficiently rare. I still think they need a skill/rune progression for continued depth and replayability. That was cut when the dropped the item component of runes, and it sorely needs to come back.

It'd be nice to see that sort of progression tied to a persistent build. I'd still like to see more rewards for finding a build and sticking with it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I give it <1 week before people start complaining about the (low) difficulty again :p

It's terrible that this comes so close to GW2 tho. That is going to eat so much of my time.

Has a 1.0.4 release date been announced? I'm really chomping at the bit at this point.

I agree 100% with all of this, but all the same, I'm very happy that they've been very receptive to the community, and they're very interested in fixing the issues. Most companies wouldn't bother with a comprehensive patch like 1.0.4.

There's a large difference between making a mistake, and refusing to acknowledge the existence of said mistake.

I have a really basic question about barbarian strategy.

I'm level 53, act 1 hell. I'm getting worked in that underground spider place. Took me forever to get to the checkpoint with the mid-boss spider thing.

I died probably a dozen times.

I'm using two weapons - no shield. Is this viable? My gear is probably crap, though I've been trying to use the auction house. I've bought some of the best blue gear I can find, some yellow. I figure I won't spend big money on gear until 60.

Anyway, is a shield a must? I don't feel like I'm doing enough damage, OR have enough armor. My DPS is between 4000-4500.

Actually, Through Nightmare and Hell, i used a 2 hander. You get the speed from frenzy to compensate for the low swing rate for procs (not to mention that revenge doesn't require a swing to proc at all). I ended up having great success with a 2 hander (though at 60 someone gifted me 2 800 deep weapons, and I'm using those now)

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Has a 1.0.4 release date been announced? I'm really chomping at the bit at this point.

I agree 100% with all of this, but all the same, I'm very happy that they've been very receptive to the community, and they're very interested in fixing the issues. Most companies wouldn't bother with a comprehensive patch like 1.0.4.

There's a large difference between making a mistake, and refusing to acknowledge the existence of said mistake.

Either tomorrow or next week. Hopefully tomorrow since next week will have a major WoW patch update. I doubt Blizzard would put 2 major content updates on their servers on the same day

V_Arnold

Either tomorrow or next week. Hopefully tomorrow since next week will have a major WoW patch update. I doubt Blizzard would put 2 major content updates on their servers on the same day

Yeah, it does not make too much sense to me either. Hopefully it is this week. *prays to every deity known to mankind*

ccbfan

I have no idea how the improvements from 1.03 to 1.04 (2 months time) is greater than anything they've though up of in the last 5 years.

Paragon levels are going to kill magic find items. While few are going to get to Paragon 100. Something like 60+ is gonna be pretty common. I have no idea what experience is like in Inferno (Since you never get experience in inferno) but if the increase from nightmare to hell is any indication then you're talking about 3x more experience. Most seriously grinders (aka People with the gold) will have at least 200 inate mf/gf in 2 weeks.

Shadow780

It's great they added another layer of character progression, I'm pretty excited.

So they're not averaging MF gears in co-op, and you can potentially have a 375%x4 MF party farming? :O I wonder what the loot drop is like when playing haha.

With all these improvements on getting better gear I was hoping they'd have something challenging to match that. Maybe pony level becomes accessible to all Acts and bump up the difficulty and guaranteed 2 rare drops.

Oh well, this is pretty good steps in the direction.

sleepykyo

Replaced by just a different grind for a miniscule bonus per paragon lvl?

But it is still gauranteed progress instead of the gear grind which could end up as completely pointless if you didn't flip the useless (to your character) junk on the AH/RMAH.

On that note, one has to wonder what happens to the AH/RMAH.

Better gear chances, lvl 60 characters are just going to get better and better with paragon lvls, and they are making the content easier. People were already complaining about it being easy.......

They are adding progression with no new content to go along with it.

inky

Nope, but it's pretty soon. Either tomorrow or next week at the latest. (GW2 comes out in 5 days)

I have no idea how the improvements from 1.03 to 1.04 (2 months time) is greater than anything they've though up of in the last 5 years.

Read the thread title :p They jut had a proper beta this time.

Better gear chances, lvl 60 characters are just going to get better and better with paragon lvls, and they are making the content easier. People were already complaining about it being easy.......

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. It's going to be a problem for sure. So many people already faceroll through the content. Watching some streams there's billionaires out there already, and those guys have the loudest voices.

So they're not averaging MF gears in co-op, and you can potentially have a 375%x4 MF party farming? :O I wonder what the loot drop is like when playing haha.

Surely in that case the drop is identical to what you'd get solo... except maybe you're clearing mobs faster.

If 375 is the cap then it doesn't matter if there's one of you or 4 of you.

The people who invested lots of money into MF gear + good stats have started the predicted storm. It's IAS 2.0 coming out shortly.

Bottom line is within a month, any setup with more then 100 MF on the character is a waste, and therefore MF itself will become a waste. While MF/GF were an issue, by removing the customization option, you are not limiting the already very constrained and criticized itemzation to what? 4 Types of stats? Main, Vit, All Resist, LoH? Almost seems redundant to increase the AH search field to 6 when now 3 covers the majority of what every character needs. Guess some people may add in socket, IAS, Crit still.

Outside of a few quirky legendaries, I don't see anything changing every character going for the same type of gear and with the way money is handled (with no sink), all gear will become worth almost nothing gold wise EXCEPT for the exponentially harder to roll max 4 stat items, which in turn will become exponentially more expensive over time.

They've added an additional level system that will be the basis for future content though, it'll be designed specifically with Paragon in mind. I'm guessing the 'new end game' will be based off Paragon and will be in 1.1

thetrin

Paragon levels are going to kill magic find items. While few are going to get to Paragon 100. Something like 60+ is gonna be pretty common. I have no idea what experience is like in Inferno (Since you never get experience in inferno) but if the increase from nightmare to hell is any indication then you're talking about 3x more experience. Most seriously grinders (aka People with the gold) will have at least 200 inate mf/gf in 2 weeks.

S9xzk.jpg

Nope, but it's pretty soon. Either tomorrow or next week at the latest. (GW2 comes out in 5 days)

I know. I'm gearing up for the head start. This is going to get ugly.

zulux21

It's great they added another layer of character progression, I'm pretty excited.

With all these improvements on getting better gear I was hoping they'd have something challenging to match that. Maybe pony level becomes accessible to all Acts and bump up the difficulty and guaranteed 2 rare drops.

Oh well, this is pretty good steps in the direction.

if I am not mistaken with the not averaging MF you won't be getting anything from your partners at all, you will just have your own MF...

as for the paragon system I really hope that it takes a huge amount of time to level up through it.... I spent a lot of money on my MF set (to have a set I wouldn't have to swap) and it's a bit dishearting to basically hear that it was a pointless investment when the next patch comes... but i also suppose that means i can just focus on my main set as I will be able to farm act 3 and work up to a 300% base MF.

zulux21

So did they say anything about gear swapping penalties?

it sounded to me like wanting to penalize people for gear swapping was in the minority and with the new system it will eventually become pointless to gear swap so I don't think they are going to implement any penalties.

Shadow780

If 375 is the cap then it doesn't matter if there's one of you or 4 of you.

hmm if that's the case it's a pretty good incentive for co-op initially, each member only has to contribute 75% MF gears on, or 25 Paragon level to have the maximum buff. But doesn't that also trivialize high paragon level in a party?

if I am not mistaken with the not averaging MF you won't be getting anything from your partners at all, you will just have your own MF...

hmm is that so? I see.

New legendaries should feel as new content.

Real new content will be in the extension in two years (or whatever time between Sc2 WoL and HotS)

Do we have a Wishlist of what we want for the extension? I would love to see heroes bastion: monk's Ivgorod monastery, wizard temple, dh's sanctuary, barb's two mains camps, wd forests... Also the templar's fortress and Port Royal.

Level cap raised (60 to 70?) paragon 100 to 150?) a few new skills for each characters, a new class or two... (a rogue like or a demon ?)

TUSR

Banned
hmm if that's the case it's a pretty good incentive for co-op initially, each member only has to contribute 75% MF gears on, or 25 Paragon level to have the maximum buff. But doesn't that also trivialize high paragon level in a party?

hmm is that so? I see.

Thought MF isn't averaged now, and is dependant on the player not the group.

zulux21

hmm is that so? I see.

I believe so, from what I read you will just have your MF and that will be it. They made that change because while they wanted to avoid people just wearing a MF set and getting good loot while not really helping, they also got a lot of people who wouldn't play with others because their lack of MF dropped them down.

With the new MP rules though the benefits of running MP is clear... the game will just be easier in general. With 2 people it will still be mostly like it is now, but with 3 or 4 it will be the same as if it was 2 players so it should be easier to kill things. I personally am a big fan of this because I have a few friends I want to play with but I had to keep from playing with them on my later farming runs because adding them as a third player made the run go from quick and effective to a snails pace crawl @_@

New legendaries should feel as new content.

Real new content will be in the extension in two years (or whatever time between Sc2 WoL and HotS)

Do we have a Wishlist of what we want for the extension? I would love to see heroes bastion: monk's Ivgorod monastery, wizard temple, dh's sanctuary, barb's two mains camps, wd forests... Also the templar's fortress and Port Royal.

Level cap raised (60 to 70?) paragon 100 to 150?) a few new skills for each characters, a new class or two... (a rogue like or a demon ?)

you can't forget 4 new classes and an act 5 with Baal (and a cow level :p)

To all of you playing right now, I recommend everyone buy a suit of +monster exp gear. With the stacking ability of NV exp gain and +monster exp gear, paragon leveling will have this gear in high, high demand the first month. Can almost double your experience gain rate with it(versus regular gear with just NV).

Shadow780

I see, I think making MF independent is taking away from the "co-op and group play" concept a little more than they should, but I can't think of any better way they could've done. It's a difficulty balance for sure.

Belgorim

I'm still hoping that we cannot transfer our characters to the expansion. That would give them opportunity do make very big changes to things such as stat-focus on items etc.

zulux21

I'm still hoping that we cannot transfer our characters to the expansion. That would give them opportunity do make very big changes to things such as stat-focus on items etc.

not being able to transfer your characters is pretty against the idea of an expansion o_O;
it would instead make it a sequel.

anyways you don't need to have new characters to make big changes. if you increase the level cap by like 20 (and add another difficulty) you can make all the changes you want... you can just make that higher level gear not have things or have different things and make sure the power boost is high enough that people really can't wear level 60 gear anymore and progress

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I see, I think making MF independent is taking away from the "co-op and group play" concept a little more than they should, but I can't think of any better way they could've done. It's a difficulty balance for sure.

Well considering a group of 4 has 300% health increase as opposed to 440% now and elite packs are dropping up to 25% less

It's so tempting to play with each other to raise your paragon and get good loot now as relative to single player, it should now be quicker and easier to progress

Elites would have the health of a 2 player game now but with 4 players

Shadow780

To all of you playing right now, I recommend everyone buy a suit of +monster exp gear. With the stacking ability of NV exp gain and +monster exp gear, paragon leveling will have this gear in high, high demand the first month. Can almost double your experience gain rate with it(versus regular gear with just NV).

Good thing I saved all my lv54 exp+ gears haha, but I doubt I'll be playing solely to grind levels, more fun to grind elites while getting experience.

zulux21

Good thing I saved all my lv54 exp+ gears haha, but I doubt I'll be playing solely to grind levels, more fun to grind elites while getting experience.

my thoughts as well, also with the new system I wouldn't be surprised if they reworked level 60 items so that they can get bonus to exp on them again... or at the very least if there is something like an item level 63 legendary set that is just designed to boost exp

I'm currently sitting here trying to decide if I should sell my MF set or not... I mean the patch is at least 8 days away, and even when it does hit my MF set will have a meaning for at least the first 10 levels of the paragon which if that takes a while it would still be useful for a while....

gear only adds a set amount of xp per kill most items top out at 40ish getting levels past 60 are in the millions for xp.

basically Stock up on rubys and make a couple max level ones now before they get expensive then sell for huge bonus when this comes out.

syllogism

Uh, if you read the blog they basically said that MF is a broken concept and they are intentionally moving away from it. Of course the change will eventually "kill" MF, that's the goal.

We wanted to find a solution that was not only very forgiving of gear swapping, but one that would ultimately help us slowly and gently move Magic Find off of items in the future. It&#8217;s such an intrinsically important stat to the core purpose of playing the game that tying it to gear -- which is a customization system in many ways -- is ultimately an approach that would continue to cause problems. We need to transition away from it, and do so in a way that doesn&#8217;t flip the entire game end-over-end.

Cipherr

Fuck yes, this is delivering BIG time. Tomorrow please, the wait is killing me!

Uh, if you read the blog they basically said that MF is a broken concept and they are intentionally moving away from it. Of course the change will eventually "kill" MF, that's the goal.

Yeah this. They explicitly say that they are out to kill MF/GF as a stat on gear. They are intentionally phasing it out. Im just sad I sold off all my DH and Barbs great gear. Im wearing scraps right now, will probably struggle with A3 on my DH in the shitty gear Im in.

zulux21

Fuck yes, this is delivering BIG time. Tomorrow please, the wait is killing me!

Yeah this. They explicitly say that they are out to kill MF/GF as a stat on gear. They are intentionally phasing it out

it does make me wonder if they have to different teams working on 1.0.4 that aren't talking to each other at all though

as
FIHF8.jpg

seems like a silly new legendary with this new system if their goal is to move away from those on items lol

I wouldn't to much if they phased out the stuff though as it would make it harder for gold farmers to work as if the only way to gold farm with a high bonus is to put a ton of time into your character they might slow down a bit (doubtful but one can dream right)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
it does make me wonder if they have to different teams working on 1.0.4 that aren't talking to each other at all though

as
FIHF8.jpg

seems like a silly new legendary with this new system if their goal is to move away from those on items lol

I wouldn't to much if they phased out the stuff though as it would make it harder for gold farmers to work as if the only way to gold farm with a high bonus is to put a ton of time into your character they might slow down a bit (doubtful but one can dream right)

They said magic find, gold find is different

V_Arnold

as
FIHF8.jpg

...except that the item still has additional gold drop chance, and is useful for anyone below Paragon 70 even if we assume a GF cap in addition to the MF cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom