• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

They said magic find, gold find is different

I suppose, but given that the new system adds both MF and GF I have to assume that they want to phase out GF as well.

...except that the item still has additional gold drop chance, and is useful for anyone below Paragon 70 even if we assume a GF cap in addition to the MF cap.

there isn't any assumption when it comes to a gold cap addition to the MF cap, they clearly say in the blog both of them are getting capped at 300

turnbuckle

Uh, if you read the blog they basically said that MF is a broken concept and they are intentionally moving away from it. Of course the change will eventually "kill" MF, that's the goal.

I've never liked magic find items in games because I always feel compelled to stack that stat and hate the trade off to damage/survival that comes with it.

I'd prefer magic/gold find to be partially tied to achievements. gain something like .001% mf/gf for each achievement point you get. It'd amount to a very small buff, but something that'd make getting achievements a little more fun/rewarding.

scy

I think they wanted to phase out the reliance on non-combat stats as upgrades. There will still be flavor Legendaries like Goldskin.

And, honestly, the first complaint about Goldskin would have been "why no GF%?" if it didn't have any on it.

zulux21

I think they wanted to phase out the reliance on non-combat stats as upgrades. There will still be flavor Legendaries like Goldskin.

And, honestly, the first complaint about Goldskin would have been "why no GF%?" if it didn't have any on it.

actually my first complaint is why doesn't it have that old RPG money sink of being able to take damage in terms of money instead of HP... (i mean it is goldskin :p)

with the way things hit in inferno the player would be looking at loosing 5-100k per hit so the bill to use the armor would be super high so it wouldn't break anything lol.

neoism

The first Paragon level should take about as long as it took most players to get from level 59 to 60, and the experience requirement will rise from there. The time to reach the upper Paragon levels approximates the long-term time investment required to get a level 99 character in Diablo II.

:O :O :O

scy

actually my first complaint is why doesn't it have that old RPG money sink of being able to take damage in terms of money instead of HP... (i mean it is goldskin :p)

Well, I meant since it's a Diablo 2 Unique as well. With 100% Gold Find. It would be weird for it to not have it. I imagine that's the same reasoning for the other Diablo 2 Uniques that returned and got buffed to match their predecessors.

Vodh

I think pretty much everything that is already in the game is now good. What D3 needs now is some kind of ultimate endgame, the PVP and some big goldsink. Like elixirs that give 25% MF for an hour for 200k gold (example from the top of my head, not necessarily the best gold sink solution for the game), capping the paragon + NV + elixir total at 400%.

scy

I think pretty much everything that is already in the game is now good. What D3 needs now is some kind of ultimate endgame, the PVP and some big goldsink. Like elixirs that give 25% MF for an hour for 200k gold (example from the top of my head, not necessarily the best gold sink solution for the game), capping the paragon + NV + elixir total at 400%.

It seriously bothers me that the cap is 375% and not 400%.

zulux21

Well, I meant since it's a Diablo 2 Unique as well. With 100% Gold Find. It would be weird for it to not have it. I imagine that's the same reasoning like the other Diablo 2 Uniques that returned and got buffed to match their predecessors.

Ah :p
it's been so long since D2 I can't remember the uniques anymore lol
only thing from d2 I really want to see brought back item wise is the unique gems/runes

I would love it so much if there were unique gems that dropped with random stats adding stuff that isn't currently on any of the gems.
edit: unless you count the gambler as an item thing... would love to have him back as well :p

Revoh

It feels like launch day again!
D3servers.gif

This all actually sounds really great, but everything the game is now at 1.0.4 should have been in at launch, and isn't enough to get me back =( Not with new shiny things like Darksiders and Sleeping Dogs and Fall of Cybertron to be playing instead.

RDreamer

I was pretty meh on every change until the paragon system announcement. That might be the thing to push me over the edge and come back to try things out for a bit. It still seems odd that everything's getting easier, though, and I'm sure I'll get bored pretty quickly, but this is much much better sounding than what they had in place.

Zvolen12

Neo Member
A system that will allow me to keep progressing, gain MF, GF and stats, will take a lot of time to farm, and in the long run will make MF completely obsolete?

YCSsY.gif

This patch is the best thing ever. I've had pretty damn high expectations for it and I am honestly amazed just how much Blizzard exceeded those expectations.

My thoughts exactly. As a long time fan I was disappointed with the initial release but this so far is excellent, I am excited to play again.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A lot of it goes back to the skill system/runes. They may not have really understood the full repercussions of the late change to the current system, over runes as items, as in that case we may not have even needed this fix (at least so soon) if the highest rank runes were sufficiently rare. I still think they need a skill/rune progression for continued depth and replayability. That was cut when the dropped the item component of runes, and it sorely needs to come back.
Yep. I remember me and duckroll going apeshit over this change, turns out we were probably right.

Geeker

just imagine if they expanded the beta to the full game... All of these problems would have been uncovered and pvp would have been in the game by now

and i fully agree that runes should have been used as a reward for quests, challenges or rare drops to act as a goal setter. Quite similar to how you got charms in median xl for completing different uberquests. A brilliant system imo

V_Arnold

Wow, I just ran across a Bashiok tweet:

"Saw how #D3 Legendary buffs are coming along, and was pleasantly surprised by how much cooler/better/more interesting they're going to be. " - June 14.

THREE MONTHS. Cant believe so much time has passed.

zulux21

"Saw how #D3 Legendary buffs are coming along, and was pleasantly surprised by how much cooler/better/more interesting they're going to be. " - June 14.

good things often take lots of time.... I would rather they do this slowly and make it's balanced rather than release stuff that screws up the economy as the RMAH is basically the only reason I still play the game as it's the only part time job I can manage to get right now lol

Rufus

good things often take lots of time.... I would rather they do this slowly and make it's balanced rather than release stuff that screws up the economy as the RMAH is basically the only reason I still play the game as it's the only part time job I can manage to get right now lol
What a strange world we live in.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

You mean 2 months :p.

If only they could retroactively give us paragon levels........all that farming I did must have been worth quite a few levels =/

Rufus

I don't know. While this has me interested, I doubt I'll go more than two paragon levels. Remember the posts of people complaining what a drag leveling past 56 or so is? Prepare for some dájà vu. Assuming anyone will make a point of doing that.

Another thing: With all these buffs, they could undo the Inferno nerf. I doubt it'll make it any more interesting to play at this point, but still...

I'm just so glad they are vastly improving the searching and selling in the auction house. Being able to search 6 things at once, and not including gems in searches, and being able to cancel at any time is worth the patch alone. Being able to sort with time left is awesome as well.

Let alone all the paragon stuff lol.

Honestly I don't even want them to make inferno harder to try to offset any new increases in power. I feel trying to have a difficulty that's basically the equivalent of WoW hard mode just ended up causing more issues then benefits it bestowed. I would have preferred inferno have been just the next logical step up from nightmare and hell and then let us continue to grow more powerful from there.

Cagey

Banned
Woo, level 60 with my hardcore wizard. Now to finish the rest of Act 3 and all of Act 4. Way overleveled. A decade of Diablo II hardcore made me a very cautious player.

zulux21

Honestly I don't even want them to make inferno harder to try to offset any new increases in power. I feel trying to have a difficulty that's basically the equivalent of WoW hard mode just ended up causing more issues then benefits it bestowed. I would have preferred inferno have been just the next logical step up from nightmare and hell and then let us continue to grow more powerful from there.

I don't see a huge point in needing to make it harder at this point... if someone finds it to easy the solution is simple... use inferior gear or skills that suck....

go crazy... play a DH and just try to clear inferno using only sentry :p

scy

A Sentry-centric build would be amazing. I just want to see it happen and be fully functional rather than "you're basically just a DH with five slots instead of six."

Neki

I kinda want to run a gimmick DH with the gas cloud, jagged caltrops and rain of vengeance and spike traps. all dat dot damage!

zulux21

A Sentry-centric build would be amazing. I just want to see it happen and be fully functional rather than "you're basically just a DH with five slots instead of six."

it would be a lot of fun... I don't think doubling the damage will make it worth using though so it will likely need another buff to be useable even after 1.0.4 lol.

I kinda want to run a gimmick DH with the gas cloud, jagged caltrops and rain of vengeance and spike traps. all dat dot damage!

the blog made it sound like rain of vengeance will be fairly good after 1.0.4... here's hoping because I liked that skill it just didn't do enough damage.

I don't see a huge point in needing to make it harder at this point... if someone finds it to easy the solution is simple... use inferior gear or skills that suck....

Ive just never really understood the desire alot of people have for these kinds of games to offer difficult progression in the sense of hard to complete levels. That has never been the part of these games I found fun, it was the feeling of progression from a purely statistical basis and feeling like a demon killing badass + mindless item finding gameplay that appealed to me.

I am all for stuff like hardcore mode for the people that like these kinds of things but you cant expect people to not do something like inferno when you lock all of the actual endgame statistical progression there behind a difficulty curve the just simply doesn't work well.

scy

That has never been the part of these games I found fun, it was the feeling of progression from a purely statistical basis and feeling like a demon killing badass + mindless item finding gameplay that appealed to me.

To me, that sense of progression requires some kid of wall to be overcome first rather than just "Oh, I used to do this slowly but now its fast!" Struggle and then go crazy with the progression. I had hoped Inferno would work for that but it wasn't that hard and then got nerfed down :/

To me, that sense of progression requires some kid of wall to be overcome first rather than just "Oh, I used to do this slowly but now its fast!" Struggle and then go crazy with the progression. I had hoped Inferno would work for that but it wasn't that hard and then got nerfed down :/

I'm fine with there being a wall to overcome, my issue with inferno was that the wall didn't function well. Instead of there being a difficulty curve that gradually increased or even just a flat difficulty throughout inferno like initially intended we got uneven lulls and peaks. It just felt entirely unnatural to me.

I know im not in the majority though with not caring much for difficulty in loot games, I just wish there was a solution that gave both sides what they want without them ending up harming each other.

Wedge7

One thing that not alot of people are mentioning is that they effectively killed the price of gold as well. They devalued it by 10x, so that instead of selling your gold for .25C every 100k, its now .25C for 1 million. Good for buyers, but shitty for people hoarding tons of gold I guess. Heh, if nothing else, this should sky rocket the price of items on the gold AH.

So I guess for those hoarding a few hundred million, now may be the best time to get rid of it all. Def somewhat hurts my enthusiasm for the patch. Blizzard probably felt that it was neccessary with the consistent decrease in people buying gold, and thus making them money.

I mean, people wont neccesarily initially sell at that price, but with something like gold, I think its inevitable that the price will always eventually be driven to the bare minimum, and the multitudes of farmers that are still grinding away every single day and acquiring gold all this time.

Dahbomb

Neki and Ultim00 have the same display pic.... I am confused.

I just realized that there is still no word on if they are adding the number of buffs that are displayed on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom