• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is everyones long term goals with D3? Burning time until PvP? Getting your class to 200k+ dps?? 100 p level? Make a good sum of money on the RMAH? Or are you just killing time until the next game?

I've thought about this and am not totally sure. I don't really have an end in sight. I'm enjoying my time playing still. I'll probably start selling stuff on the rmah once I finally upgrade my weapons. If I get bored ill probably play something else until PvP comes and the the expansion.

DSmalls84

Keep gearing my Wizard and working towards 100 Paragon. Farming is a lot more fun now that I'm usually finding 1-2 Legendary items per day.

Yeah I guess for me Paragon 100 is the plan though still a long way off. I love the fact that I'm playing a ton more with GAF people. It's actually pretty rare that I don't see people online, even in the early morning where I used to always just run solo.

Celegus

Barb-GAF, I need your help! What am I doing wrong here?

I started playing as a barb today (power leveled to 60, I don't know a lot about this class), and I can barely do MP1!

These are my full stats

I know I should upgrade the gems, I'm just waiting for some things to sell so I don't run out of gold

I die REALLY quickly. I just tried MP2 and I take huge hits from normal mobs... what the hell is happening here?

My resistances are fairly high (or should I aim higher?), and I currently have 30K HP
How much armor should I aim for? I'm guessing this is way too low for a barb?

Also, should I get some LOH in addition to life steal? I guess life steal will work better as I get higher DPS

Any advice would be welcome!
More armor (around 6000 if you can) and vit for sure. Aim closer to 40k life than 30, it helps a lot. You might be focusing a bit too much on resists, especially if you're still running with the +20% armor/res shout. And for your amount of damage, LoH would be more beneficial than life steal. Life steal is the way to go once you get closer to 100k damage, not 50k.

I'd say a bit more vitality and LoH would help you the most.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I think I have just found my first really big item?

Blackthorne's Jousting Mail
I found one of these a few days ago, and the lowest buyout of similar stats were about 25M-28M. I sold it to a friend for 15M and have let him use it until he can pay. Seems like something between 15 and 20 is guaranteed, and you might have to relist frequently above it.

By the way, if you're not already aware, the "compare similar items" tool can be misleading, particularly for purposes of selling.
So what is everyones long term goals with D3? Burning time until PvP? Getting your class to 200k+ dps?? 100 p level? Make a good sum of money on the RMAH? Or are you just killing time until the next game?

Wizard to PL 100 with this gear -

Hat: 6CC Socket Mempo
Amulet: Max IAS/CC/CHD/LOH/Int/Vit
Chest: Tal's 80RA/100Vit
Belt: Witching Hour with 150Int/100Vit/80AR
Gloves: 9IAS/10CC/50CD/100+Int/100+Vit/80AR
Bracers: 6CC Lacuni with Max Int/Ar
Ring 1: Nat's with 6CC and CHD
Ring 2: Skull Grasp with 6CC and ET CC or 9IAS/6CC/CHD/LOH
Boots: Nat's
Weapon: 1200 Chant's with socket
Offhand: APOC Chant's

So let's see... 2B, 2B, 1B, 1B, .5B, 1B, .5B, .5B, .1B, 1B, 2B. 11.6 Billion gold would buy that. No biggie.

Mid term goal is to get to the magic 2.74APS rate while maintaining current EHP. That's a bit more feasible but still a rather long way off, short of some miracle drops.

PVP? Lag rubberbanding. Wide, invisible hit boxes. No keyboard movement. Some opponents can be strong by no other basis than their credit card balance. PVP in this game is going to be a worthless joke. I will avoid it entirely, thank you.

We are all totally fucked if Blizzard begins to nerf and buff characters on the basis of PVP performance.

DSmalls84

This. 1.0.5 has greatly improved farming enjoyment for me. Ring farming is fun too.

Definitely. The thing I liked best about D2 was farming items and then trading with people. Now that the itemization is better it feels a lot closer to D2 in that regard. Key farming is pretty awesome too. Luckily I have a few friends that have helped me, and over the last 2 days I have farmed all three of the keys and found 2 of the 3 ring components.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Barb-GAF, I need your help! What am I doing wrong here?

I started playing as a barb today (power leveled to 60, I don't know a lot about this class), and I can barely do MP1!

These are my full stats

I know I should upgrade the gems, I'm just waiting for some things to sell so I don't run out of gold

I die REALLY quickly. I just tried MP2 and I take huge hits from normal mobs... what the hell is happening here?

My resistances are fairly high (or should I aim higher?), and I currently have 30K HP
How much armor should I aim for? I'm guessing this is way too low for a barb?

Also, should I get some LOH in addition to life steal? I guess life steal will work better as I get higher DPS

Any advice would be welcome!

with the amount DPS you are doing, lifesteal is worthless for you. get life on hit. lifesteal only works when you have 100K unbuffed DPS.
your vitality needs a improvement as well, since you can't kill mobs quickly, you should invest enough life to withstand more punishments. total HP should be at least 40K. life % bonus on gear is a huge HP boost.

please check out my MP8 uber farming barb. not the best, but doable:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Violentine-1122/hero/18906996

this is my friend's barb. a successful barbarian should look like this, this should be your goal:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/gc11-1963/hero/2431469

Dahbomb

Well my long term goal was 100K DPS on my Monk and P50. I am pretty close to that goal (P30 and 60K DPS) but I may not stop there. I already paid off D3 through RMAH and I have stopped using RMAH anyway. I have gotten a couple of "big ticket" items too especially that Zunimassa piece.

I want to try out PvP just for the lulz so I am looking forward to that.

DSmalls84

@Dog$

A few of my friends thought mine should be worth a lot because of the high Str/Vit rolls and the fact that the MF and life% were perfect rolls. I haven't been really active in selling stuff since early 1.0.4 though, so i'm really kind of out of the loop on value. I saw on the AH that there were only 4-5 comparable sets total with starting bids of 22mil-100mil. The top buyout was 150mil. With such a small sample size and variable results it's kind of hard to gauge.

I dunno what my goal is right now.

I just bought an echoing fury as my off hand and my DPS is @ 132k buffed, 112k unbuffed. I don't even know what to do anymore :p i can keep playing just to be able to farm Paragon 7+ (I'm currently farming 6), but at the same time, how much farming can I get done? How much better can my gear get?

It's starting to seem kinda pointless.

larvi

Get one big ticket item to repay the cost of D3.

Kinda this for me as well, not sure that I'll actually sell it and cash out though but would be nice to know that I could.

I would also like to get all classes to 60 and at least 1 HC char to 60 as well. Stretch goals are plvl 100 and being able to solo ubers on mp10.

MrDaravon

I think I may have set a new bar for myself on shitty Legendaries.

Gtkdk.jpg

FaidSint

Thinking about possibly changing up my build a little bit. I've been using the Dual Spirit generators + all the defensive spells since back when Inferno was super hard as a way of pure survivability. Now that things are easier and I can do low MP runs without much problem, I think I should probably focus more on DPS.

My short term goals are to get a Nat's ring and Inna's pants to get those set bonuses, but both are very expensive for me (I have very little gold).

So I guess to achieve those goals I am just going to continue to do Act 3 runs and MP3 Key Runs, but it would probably go faster if I swapped my skills around a bit. The only issue is, I'm so used to my build now, whenever I change anything, I feel so defenseless. Because of my life per spirit, I basically spam my Mantra of Regen as a heal spell, so losing that would be hard.

I could also drop blinding flash, I could likely do without it.

I think I could definitely get away with only using one spirit generator, and replacing the other one with an offense spell, but I love Crippling Wave so much and its kind of weird as a primary generator. Also, I don't have any idea really what the best offensive skills are to get.

Any Monks out there got any suggestions?

EDIT: It would help if I linked my profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FaidSint-1586/hero/3019287

VALKYRAY

Banned
Thinking about possibly changing up my build a little bit. I've been using the Dual Spirit generators + all the defensive spells since back when Inferno was super hard as a way of pure survivability. Now that things are easier and I can do low MP runs without much problem, I think I should probably focus more on DPS.

My short term goals are to get a Nat's ring and Inna's pants to get those set bonuses, but both are very expensive for me (I have very little gold).

So I guess to achieve those goals I am just going to continue to do Act 3 runs and MP3 Key Runs, but it would probably go faster if I swapped my skills around a bit. The only issue is, I'm so used to my build now, whenever I change anything, I feel so defenseless. Because of my life per spirit, I basically spam my Mantra of Regen as a heal spell, so losing that would be hard.

I could also drop blinding flash, I could likely do without it.

I think I could definitely get away with only using one spirit generator, and replacing the other one with an offense spell, but I love Crippling Wave so much and its kind of weird as a primary generator. Also, I don't have any idea really what the best offensive skills are to get.

Any Monks out there got any suggestions?

EDIT: It would help if I linked my profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FaidSint-1586/hero/3019287

montra of conviction - overawe (spam this shit during fights, you will see why)
breath of heaven - blazing wrath (15% damage buff)
fists of thunder - thunderclap (for AOE and for chasing or escaping)
blinding flash - faith in the light (30% damage buff)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abXYkg!UYZ!acbcaY

if you really want to get rid of the second spirit generator, then replace deadly reach with sweeping wind - cyclone. this is the best ability a monk has to offer

Stripes55

Neo Member
Get one big ticket item to repay the cost of D3.

This. Money made so far off of game: $0.

But at least I'm getting legendaries (about 1/Act I run, on the average, on MP1).

Also, I would like to finish Inferno. My barb was in the middle of Act II when 1.0.5 came out, so I started farming Act I to see if I could get something that would at least allow me upgrade my gear (I was dying a bit too often).

Celegus

I don't really have a goal. I just play because it's fun. Once it's not very fun anymore, I won't play anymore. Seems pretty basic. Getting some RMAH $$$ would be a nice bonus though, I've already pawned off a ring for $200; but that was back on like the first day of 1.03.

FaidSint

montra of conviction - overawe (spam this shit during fights, you will see why)
breath of heaven - blazing wrath (15% damage buff)
fists of thunder - thunderclap (for AOE and for chasing or escaping)
blinding flash - faith in the light (30% damage buff)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abXYkg!UYZ!acbcaY

if you really want to get rid of the second spirit generator, then replace deadly reach with sweeping wind - cyclone. this is the best ability a monk has to offer

Tried this build out with the two spirit generators. I like it a lot! Thanks for the tip! I also changed my build around a bit to make up for the lost resistances/life regen from my old mantra, so I lost a bit of DPS, but the new build makes up for it offensively. I'll have to try it out on an MP3 run soon or something to see how my survivability it is, but as far as clearing waves, it is like 4 or 5 times faster than my old build.

I can't stand blinding flash. I rarely need the blind and the 3 seconds of a damage buff is way to short to make a lasting difference. The cooldown sucks too. Most of the stuff that kills me are things that go unafected by blind. Arcane / Desecrator / Vortex / RD etc etc. Very rarely do I die from standard incoming physical damage that blind would work on.

A lurker on here completly turned me on to Exploding Palm > The Flesh is weak (Thanks Raticus). The rune makes all affected enemies take an addition 12% damage on top of the bleed. If you time your exploding palms well enough, the explosions are huge too. I can't use the skill on RD elite enemies because a series of a couple explosions will one shot me. lol. Either way, you can spam exploding palm and keep that constant 12% damage up which is better than 3 seconds of 30% damage boost every 45 seconds.

Blinding flash is good for fighting Diablo and IMO and not much else.

Dahbomb

I don't know man I am completely the opposite with Blinding Faith. It's great both as a defensive and an offensive tool. Sometimes you don't have Serenity on CD, Faith can save your ass. Ever since 1.05 I have had trouble replacing it. It's cheap, instant, AOE, 3 second disable on everyone and the damage boost is the icing on top. Great combination with Bells, you blind then drop a Bell for significant damage. Plus ever since Ubers have entered I don't think I have replaced it once.

That said Palm is pretty godlike too. I use Palm or Bells in a group when I am not the one spamming Overawe.

I just never liked blinding flash. Mostly for reasons I just listed, but also because there's not much room in my skill list.

Serenity (mandatory), MoC (Mandatory or a different Mantra if grouping), Thunderclap (need at least one spirit generator / punch), Breath of Heaven (15% DMG over 45 seconds isn't being dropped), Sweeping Wind (also pretty standard mandatory).

That leaves me one skill to play around with. I like the bell, because it's fun to drop on a swarm of small enemies. Plus it has a nice sounds and looks cool. I LOVE exploding palm. The 12% additional damage taken rune helps with both elites and ubers. The bleed is nice and the explision at the end can take out whole packs. It can be spammed as there's no cool down. etc etc.

Then there's blinding flash. Again ... this is purely my opinion, but the damage modifier isn't as good as exploding palm and the blind doesn't save me from things that actually kill me.

I would like SSS, but it doesn't build spirit when being used. So you end up in the same spot you started, spiritless and helpless after that couple of seconds of damage and invulnerablity.

I just never liked blinding flash. Mostly for reasons I just listed, but also because there's not much room in my skill list.

Serenity (mandatory), MoC (Mandatory or a different Mantra if grouping), Thunderclap (need at least one spirit generator / punch), Breath of Heaven (15% DMG over 45 seconds isn't being dropped), Sweeping Wind (also pretty standard mandatory).

That leaves me one skill to play around with. I like the bell, because it's fun to drop on a swarm of small enemies. Plus it has a nice sounds and looks cool. I LOVE exploding palm. The 12% additional damage taken rune helps with both elites and ubers. The bleed is nice and the explision at the end can take out whole packs. It can be spammed as there's no cool down. etc etc.

Then there's blinding flash. Again ... this is purely my opinion, but the damage modifier isn't as good as exploding palm and the blind doesn't save me from things that actually kill me.

I would like SSS, but it doesn't build spirit when being used. So you end up in the same spot you started, spiritless and helpless after that couple of seconds of damage and invulnerablity.

I love the cyclone thing to group enemies and trash during packs, elites groups or other. Too bad is worthless against Ubers

I love the cyclone thing to group enemies and trash during packs, elites groups or other. Too bad is worthless against Ubers

Yeah ... the guy I run with who turned me on to exploding dropped serentiy to use cyclone w/ exploding palm. As a big guy is about to expode he sucks everyone in around him. It's pretty cool. Though ... I think he's crazy for losing serentiy. lol

Definity

Yeah ... the guy I run with who turned me on to exploding dropped serentiy to use cyclone w/ exploding palm. As a big guy is about to expode he sucks everyone in around him. It's pretty cool. Though ... I think he's crazy for losing serentiy. lol

Yep. He is certified crazy, lol. No way I can drop serenity....

eek5

Cyclone is a lot of fun if you use FoT quickening too. One of the downsides I've noticed w/ quickening is the range is really short so you end up not hitting enemies a lot of times if you shift to attack. If you cyclone in this is no longer a problem and you'll be generating a LOT of spirit all the time. EP is a good combo with this but I like the bell for its AOE. Cyclone->max spirit->bell then I dashing strike from pack to pack to keep pace high. This doesn't really work at higher MP but I use it for farming since it seems to be pretty quick.

I tired messing around with dashing strike again recently as well. It just feels to clunky to me. I really with is was a targetable skill.

Really ... I just with we could use more than 6 skills. It would be cool if one of our passives let us use another skill.

Dahbomb

Honestly you don't need Serenity if you are speed farming. If trash are dying in 1-2 shots you can afford to drop Serenity for an offensive skill.

Shouta

You can use SSS to move away from a pack if you point somewhere and press it, it should move you there and execute the attack in that vicinity. It's a bit finicky though. I think you need a clear path to that spot to teleport there. I use it instead of breath in most of my builds.

I haven't found a decent legendary for about 5 or 6 days. I also haven't found a single set item for about a week and a half.

:p and i've been playing a lot.

Mayyhem

im honestly giving up on this game :( i've been stuck at 10mill gold for what feels like FOREVER :"(

bahhhhhh i just want some upgrades

Cipherr

I cant even be mad I got a set piece and a legendary today, Ive been running the first two sections of Act 3 on MP0 lately. I just join a game on the first part of Act 3, clear the first area to build the stacks, then do the second portion on the keep where you raise the catapults, along the way you kill the key guy, then once we finish that section I leave the game and join a new one at the start of the act again. I like these two outdoor keep sections of the game, and with 4 people on MP0 the runs are fast and net a lot of yellow items with my MF (although Im only Paragon 20). The exp is decent also.

Its a nice break to the boring soloing of MP levels. I just reaaaally prefer multiplayer.

larvi

I haven't had any luck with legendaries lately either, not sure what's up. I did a complete A3 run, hitting every dungeon/cave and didn't get a single one.

On the other hand I just did a uber run and I think I finally found a decent build for my DH for taking them out. I was able to get frequent stuns on them and was hitting for over 1mil damage on some crits.

The build I used was Bola/Thunderball and Impale/Impact for left/right click, both have a chance to stun. Then gloom/shadowpower, preparation/battle scars, sentry/guardian turret and marked for death/mortal enemy. Passives Steady Aim, Perfectionist and Archery.

Biggest issue is the build sucks for non bosses since it has no AOE so elite farming to get the 5 stacks was harder than normal.

Now I need to come up with a speed farming build for lower MPs, anyone have a good one they would like to share?

VALKYRAY

Banned

extreme low cost, 30% free damage boost for 3 sec with massive aoe crowd control, you can spam it every 15 sec. how can you say no to it? it can help you clear mobs faster and more importantly, it is very a reliable tool for saving your ass.
imo its the equivelent to barbarian's wrath of the berserker with insanity(which has 2 min cool down). sometimes WoB can't save you, but BF can.

its all about the invulnerablity. to me, the damage is just a bonus.
its a great way to deal with frozen, arcane and even desecrator. it saved my ass so many times when my serenity is at cool down, and I need immediate invulnerablity.
Although you stay at the same spot. it takes time for mobs to re-engage you. take that opportunity to run away. or maybe after you using it, your serenity is ready again.
I used to run it with the rune for reducing CD to 23 seconds, then I switched to the rune that stuns enemies for 7 seconds in 1.0.5.
Its a skill so good that I give up the free 15% damage boost from breath of heaven.

Zzoram

I stopped playing this game like 3 weeks after it came out and have no desire to ever play it again. How disappointing. I'm not even sure I will buy an expansion now, given how shitty the story was.

I don't think it's just this game. I think I'm just tired of the whole loot whoring genre. I got bored of Borderlands 2 as well.

mlaz14

I haven't had any luck with legendaries lately either, not sure what's up. I did a complete A3 run, hitting every dungeon/cave and didn't get a single one.

On the other hand I just did a uber run and I think I finally found a decent build for my DH for taking them out. I was able to get frequent stuns on them and was hitting for over 1mil damage on some crits.

The build I used was Bola/Thunderball and Impale/Impact for left/right click, both have a chance to stun. Then gloom/shadowpower, preparation/battle scars, sentry/guardian turret and marked for death/mortal enemy. Passives Steady Aim, Perfectionist and Archery.

Biggest issue is the build sucks for non bosses since it has no AOE so elite farming to get the 5 stacks was harder than normal.

Now I need to come up with a speed farming build for lower MPs, anyone have a good one they would like to share?

This is the build I use for speed farming.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aijdVg!ZbY!cabbcY

Revoh

Last night I checked the price on IK's belts, I've bought mine like 10 days ago for 40M, now better ones are 3M. Prices have gone to shit lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom