• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Ridiculous prices on squared rubys right now (red gems) If you are a packrat like myself and have Mules with hundreds of those things just rotting, right now is the time.

I reckon the prices will drop after the patch brings back the masses and they all start farming again making them less scarce.

Disappointing to see Jay reiterate his disdain for a ladder. Joining a ladder is a choice, you lose nothing if you choose not to.

And it's a shame that he sees the ladder as nothing more than a e-peen leveling fest, when the biggest reason people clamored for ladder resets was to reset the economy.

D3 with no economy resets is going to butcher any shot at this game having staying power.

zulux21

Speaking about economy - have they considered what throwing xxx % of gold find to every character will do to prices ?

I think you have to many x there... I doubt most of the players will ever hit triple digits from the paragon as I figure to get to level 34 paragon even with the best exp boosting armor will take at least 500 hours of pure grinding. The people who farm over and over will maybe hit it, but the people who don't devote a ton of time each day won't hit it for a long long time. I could be wrong and the exp curve on it could be fairly nice and people level up it at a decent pace. but I fully expect a player who farms act 3 8 hours a day to take at least a year to get to level 100 paragon.

which is kind of the point.... an end game thing you are always working towards that isn't loot. if it was easy to level up people would just get to level 100 of it and then have just loot again... at the very least I expect it to be impossible to hit level 100 of paragon before PVP hits, even if you were grinding 24/7 from the time the patch was live until PVP hit.

Lots of quality of life changes in this patch that were a long time coming. As in, seriously, there should have been a patch between now and the last one that fixed about half the things that are in these notes.

Also some stealth(y) nerfs to stuff, but not a big deal compared to all the buffs elsewhere.

I'll go over my highlights that don't include the major things like legendaries or the paragon system.

Should have been in before:

-A new tutorial about "Elective Mode" will now appear when a player enters Nightmare, Hell, or Inferno difficulty for the first time

-All the AH stuff

-A repair tab has been added to the Blacksmith

-Destructible objects now have a chance to drop items again

-The text color of gems, potions, crafting pages and tomes dropped on the ground has been changed from white to light blue

-Bonus health granted to monsters in co-op games has been reduced to 75% per additional player for all difficulties

-Invulnerable Minions has been removed as a possible affix (Thank god)

-Waller monsters can no longer spawn walls on top of players

-The Flying Molok can no longer turn invisible and become un-targetable (This happened way too frequently)

-The ability to drag-and-drop skills in Elective Mode will now only be enabled while the Skill window is open (Finally)

Simple quality of life stuff that's great, but wasn't pressing:

-Reporting another player for chat spam using "Report Spam" option will now also temporarily mute that player for the duration of your login session

-The Quick Join window has been improved

-The game will now display both on the login and character select screen which region a player is currently logging into

-The last follower a player had active in a single-player game will now be restored automatically after leaving a multiplayer game

-The frequency of follower dialog has been reduced

This was a problem?

-Jailer can now no longer appear with Knockback, Nightmarish, or Vortex

Also kinda sad that the Cemetery rare pack now only has a 20% chance to spawn instead of 50%, but that was probably deserved.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Ahh, thanks.
Part of the reason we did that is we feel that Magic Find on items creates a lot of decisions for players that we don’t feel that, at the end of the day, are very fun. As we played the game live we came to that feeling. We always felt like MF is all right, then we play it and it just doesn't create a great situation that we are putting players in. We are essentially asking them to trade current power for future power and that is not an uninteresting choice, but is also not a very fun choice. You want to be powerful now, you don’t want to have to wait for power. So you already have to spend a lot of time in Diablo to get your power up, and now we're asking you to self-nerf yourself.
lmao, NOW they get it? I could have told them that years ago...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465944

If the players feel the need to have more risk/reward in the gameplay, then actually make the game more harder instead of resorting to the players willingly gimping themselves. Allow players to choose to endure harder content for better rewards instead of gimping themselves to counteract the game's lack of difficulty.

It's good to see that they're realizing just how stupid the "I need to self gimp myself" mentality is that a lot of players are forced to take due to questionable design decisions. (and this doesn't pertain only to magic find, you guys have heard me talk about this millions of times before I don't want to sound like a broken record...)

And it creates a lot of issues with item swapping. We don’t think item swapping before a boss kill is very fun. It’s not an activity that we want to see in the game. So we are looking for a way to long term discourage that, without just flat out killing MF on all items. We think that would have been a big mistake, that would have felt terrible.

I disagree about this point. There is a simple solution that would have solved most everything in a neat package:

In regards to today's blizzard post about MF, they should probably go with option 4, slightly modified.

Option 4: Zero-Out Your MF% for 3 Minutes After Swapping Gear

When you swap gear, your Magic Find is disabled for 3 minutes.

Pros: Absolutely effective at discouraging gear swaps. Still allows you to swap gear when you find an upgrade, and the 3 minute duration is probably short enough that if you kill an Elite pack and get an upgrade, you can put that upgrade on and have your Magic Find active again by the time you get to the next pack.

Cons: Players who are unfamiliar with the system may open up their details page and see their Magic Find as 0% and not understand why. We could mitigate this by making the 0% MF colored with a tooltip stating the countdown until your Magic Find would work again, as well as what your Magic Find will be when the time expires.

Along with the following modifications:

Only the magic find on gear that is swapped out will be disabled. So for example, if all you are doing is swapping out your off hand weapon for a shield, the MF from your valor, and your MF from your already equipped gear will remain.

Set a hard cap of 100% MF on gear.

Killing a boss pack gets you one stack of valor, up to 5.

Killing 1000 white mobs gets you one stack of valor, just like killing a boss would.

Completing a major quest awards you the ability to limit break your valor, giving you the ability to add an additional valor stack above 5, up to a max of 20.

Killing an act boss with at least 10 NV guarantees 3 rares. 15 NV guarantees 4 rares. 20 NV guarantees 5 rares.

Dying removes one valor stack, but repeated deaths cannot lower your NV below 5.

Moving onto the next act does not reset your NV.

Chests and breakable objects are influenced by NV only, not MF on gear.

Goblins only spawn after certain requirements are met in game ( white mobs killed, elites killed, quests completed, etc), and are spawned in completely random locations.

Resplendent chests only spawn at the exit of a dungeon, and only after you have killed all of the elite packs in that dungeon.

NV influence your sidequest rewards more so that they are actually worth doing.

One more thing - In a party your first 100% MF is averaged and divided among all the players as it is now. However, any MF above 100% that you have on your character only effects you and is not shared. That way, if you are a shitty player and keep dying, you won't negatively effect everyone else in the party.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No, we are not planning on adding MF back to chests for the same reasons we talked about before. We don’t like the gear swapping people do with chests. Chests are one of those things that REALLY makes you want to stop and open your inventory and swap your gear, and then open the chest. So we are not planning on adding it back for those reasons.

Man, fuck that. Having MF not affect chests and destructibles is bullshit. If you don't want players swapping, make it so that swapping is discouraged, ffs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hmm, thinking about what I can replace overpower with...Rend sounds good.

For DH with the old Nat's set, trail of cinders vault might be good. I hope my DH tank friend didn't sell his set yet, lolz.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I feel bad for Tank DH getting their procs nerfed.

While it looks bad, there's always a chance that something else can rise up to compensate. I dunno if the change to the Brooding passive is gonna be enough, though...

But anyway, we'll see.

Belgorim

I just checked out that interview on diablofans and got pleasantly surprised that they seem to be interested in doing seasons, that is, resets. Those usualy get better and better with time the more the game is balanced etc.

It means the chance (like 0.5 proc coeff is 50% chance) that a hit with this particular skill will trigger secondary effects such as life on hit.

Edit: To clarify. If you have items that give you 5% chance to stun, when you use a skill with a 0.25 proc coefficient, the chance for each hit with that skill to stun an opponent is 0.05*0.25 = 0.0125 = 1.25%

Zzoram

Disappointed that Plague of Toads didn't get damage buffs or other buffs, only a reduction in mana cost.

I think those primary attacks look the best but they just aren't viable post-Normal.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I quit right after 1.03 was introduced because it did basically nothing to fix the sad state of the game.

Can't wait to get back in, finally WD pets are getting a fix. I love pet classes and the new spirit barrage is looking to be a killer ;D

I just wish they fixed the debuffs/crowd control spells, they barely work on anything beyond yard trash.

Shadow780

Do you guys think the changes to Cleave are going to make it worth using over Frenzy?

Depends on your build, I think that if you're WWing you don't really need any crowd control moves since WW will take care of most of the mobs, whatever is left is usually an elite that you need high dmg fast attack single target dps moves which Bash and Frenzy excel at.

Opiate

I feel bad for Tank DH getting their procs nerfed.

I was the initial herald of this build, and have since abandoned it. It has been presistehently nerfed; first the ss nerf (obviously) then the nerf to nether tentacles reduced its life leech, and now this. Ive since become a monk, as the pure glass cannon style does not suit my approach.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I still feel like they didn't really touch on Monk enough - while I think Monk's are viable and the general changes to the game mechanics will end up helping monks out a lot (some of those champion packs were the worst) - the class still has some serious design issues - heck, those issues are stuff they admit openly - like our reliance on One with Everything.

If the developers think that Monks -need- that passive to function, doesn't that sort of mean something?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So 1.04 hits tonight? Guess I'll fire up Diablo III for the first time in over a month and see if they managed to put the fun back in. This patch does sound promising. The gold and item drops put back into destructibles, the smoothing out of the difficulty curve in inferno, more magic and rare drops from mobs, the improving of legendaries, skill rebalancing, lower repair costs, adjustments to co-op play, the Paragon leveling system, all of these are things that I feel the game greatly needed.

It's hard to believe that Diablo III is finally live, and after waiting a decade for it, I own the game but haven't played it at all in over a month. That just doesn't seem like it should be so. Hopefully 1.04 is a big step towards correcting that issue.

I was the initial herald of this build, and have since abandoned it. It has been presistehently nerfed; first the ss nerf (obviously) then the nerf to nether tentacles reduced its life leech, and now this. Ive since become a monk, as the pure glass cannon style does not suit my approach.

Mixed aproach is best for DH imho

Circa 300 resists 25-30k life plus shadow power with gloom

Mixed aproach is best for DH imho

Circa 300 resists 25-30k life plus shadow power with gloom
Agreed. Gives you the ability to still take a hit or two and you'll still be able to deal really good damage out.

It is a bummer that they aren't at the very least having your NV stacks apply against chests and breakables. I don't even bother with them anymore which is kinda sad, but I just don't see the point.

I'm definitely interested to see how long it takes to add these Paragon levels. I am thinking now that it's not like the good MF equipment is just going to die out that quickly as it'll be a long grind to earn those Paragon levels.

I've never really focused that much on leveling as I just hit the levels as I played. Is Act 3 playthroughs the way to go for experience for the Paragon levels?

scy

Disappointed that Plague of Toads didn't get damage buffs or other buffs, only a reduction in mana cost.

I think those primary attacks look the best but they just aren't viable post-Normal.

For certain WD specs, Rain of Toads was pretty much the best primary skill. With the changes, I'm going to guess Phantasm might be ultimately better with Spider Queen to keep the mana regen going.

Please don't get my class nerfed~

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So 1.04 hits tonight? Guess I'll fire up Diablo III for the first time in over a month and see if they managed to put the fun back in. This patch does sound promising.

I see people saying this, but I wouldn't have such high expectations. It won't put 'the fun' back in for those who are bored of the game, but it will put some of the fun back in to be sure. We shouldn't look at this as a long term solution, especially paragon levels. They're meant to buy time until Blizzard can get a real endgame solution. Paragon levels are an easy thing to program in a matter of weeks and artificially boost the longevity of the game. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as developing real solutions takes time, but don't expect the patch to be Diablo III 2.0. It is, after all, only Diablo III 1.0.4.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I see people saying this, but I wouldn't have such high expectations. It won't put 'the fun' back in for those who are bored of the game, but it will put some of the fun back in to be sure. We shouldn't look at this as a long term solution, especially paragon levels. They're meant to buy time until Blizzard can get a real endgame solution. Paragon levels are an easy thing to program in a matter of weeks and artificially boost the longevity of the game. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as developing real solutions takes time, but don't expect the patch to be Diablo III 2.0. It is, after all, only Diablo III 1.0.4.

I think they say patch 1.1 will be diablo 2.0 :p

Definity

Fired up the client this morning and grabbed the patch. VOTA runs are in my future as soon as the maintenance is over. Oh yes.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Well for me the biggest issue was the gear check that Inferno is. I hit a wall where I couldn't progress any further because I needed better gear. But I couldn't buy said gear from the AH because I didn't have the gold, and it was going to take FAR too long to farm said gold due to me dying all the time to inferno champion packs. Like a ridiculous amount of time to farm the gold. But I also couldn't just play to farm for items either because I simply could not afford to put any MF% into my gear (my gear was subpar as it was already). That coupled with the fact of horrible item drops to begin with, I quickly realized that farming for gold and buying from the AH was my best alternative, and it was a terrible one.

Paragon levels will do a LOT to remedy this. Now I can earn more MF and GF completely independent of gear. So I can focus on just getting gear that improves my abilities to allow me to progress further and not worry about MF or GF because my Paragon level and Neph Valor should be enough. And repair costs going down will help tremendously with my gold farming for the AH. Repair costs were literally killing my fun factor. That might mean I'm an average player who can't stay alive in Inferno, but I accept that, lol.

Basically I'm a casual player who needed the game dumbed down a bit in order to have fun playing it, and thankfully Blizzard is obliging. :)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yeah - I think that it's important for a lot of people to realize that Diablo needs to hit two audiences and satisfy them both - the casual player and the hardcore. It's difficult, but I think something like this -moves- in the right direction.

RivalCore

maybe it has been asked a million times but what is the eta for the patch (CET?)

We will be performing scheduled maintenance for Diablo III starting tomorrow (8/21) at 3:00 a.m. PDT in order to deploy patch 1.0.4. We anticipate that maintenance will conclude and that all services will be available by approximately 1:00 p.m. PDT. Patch notes are available below.

Important: Please note that you will not be prompted to download patch 1.0.4 until the patch is live in your home region. If you are logging in from a European or Asian client, you will need to wait for this patch to release in that region before it can be installed. Additionally, if your home region is the Americas, you will be unable to log into Europe or Asia using Global Play after patch 1.0.4 is live until those regions have also patched.

For reference, here are the scheduled maintenance times for each region:

The Americas: 3:00 a.m. PDT to 1:00 p.m. PDT (8/21)
Europe: 8:00 p.m. PDT (8/21) to 6:00 a.m. PDT (8/22)
Asia: 11:00 a.m. PDT to 11:00 p.m. PDT (8/22)

Please note that these times are estimated and subject to change. For time zone assistance, please visit: http://everytimezone.com

If I understand correctly, Euro servers go down early morning and come back around the afternoon.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I think they say patch 1.1 will be diablo 2.0 :p

Actually no, they -- if by 'they' you mean Blizzard -- said pretty much exactly what I said: we will have to wait until well after 1.1 for a proper endgame.

Well for me the biggest issue was the gear check that Inferno is. I hit a wall where I couldn't progress any further because I needed better gear. But I couldn't buy said gear from the AH because I didn't have the gold, and it was going to take FAR too long to farm said gold due to me dying all the time to inferno champion packs. Like a ridiculous amount of time to farm the gold. But I also couldn't just play to farm for items either because I simply could not afford to put any MF% into my gear (my gear was subpar as it was already). That coupled with the fact of horrible item drops to begin with, I quickly realized that farming for gold and buying from the AH was my best alternative, and it was a terrible one.

Paragon levels will do a LOT to remedy this. Now I can earn more MF and GF completely independent of gear. So I can focus on just getting gear that improves my abilities to allow me to progress further and not worry about MF or GF because my Paragon level and Neph Valor should be enough. And repair costs going down will help tremendously with my gold farming for the AH. Repair costs were literally killing my fun factor. That might mean I'm an average player who can't stay alive in Inferno, but I accept that, lol.

Basically I'm a casual player who needed the game dumbed down a bit in order to have fun playing it, and thankfully Blizzard is obliging. :)

Hey, knock yourself out, I'm excited about the patch too you know :). Well, except for the whole "nerf twister procs for melee wizards even though the build wasn't overpowered" issue. I really should hope the rest is going to get easier, because were it not the case I would actually come off worse from this patch. Worst comes to worst, I'll just play my rerolls until melee wizard builds are made more viable again. Got a lvl 47 barb needing some love.

I'm just saying that it is a step in the right direction, a really good step even, but still just a step. This doesn't address some fundamental problems players have had. I'm hopeful 1.1.X will fix that though. Blizzard seems eager to please these days.

scy

Well, except for the whole "nerf twister procs for melee wizards even though the build wasn't overpowered" issue.

It seems like most of these were because of the new Legendary procs that they put in (e.g., Charm, spell procs, +100% IAS, etc.). Rather than making those new procs ridiculously low to compensate for certain high ppm skills, they tweaked those skills instead. Personally, I think that's the right approach, even if it did impact builds I liked/used (and, honestly, some are still viable).

The high coefficients didn't really matter before this patch as well. I mean, we're talking about Life on Hit and on-crit resource generation as pretty much it. There are a lot more procs to consider now and having those with a good base chance (e.g., 20-50%, some up to 90-100%) is overall better than those having a 5-10% chance to balance out the few skills with overly high average ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom