• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talaysen

This guy had an epic moment yesterday, down to just him running around Skeleton King/Maghda uber for what seemed like ten minutes or longer just trying to get res's. Finally got one and we ended up beating them.

Was pretty nuts.

Wouldn't have been so bad if SK didn't keep teleporting on my face when trying to revive. What a jerk!

VALKYRAY

Banned
So close :(

QgRfe.jpg

I'm assuming the Dex is fairly irrelevant to Barbs though? On the AH searching by 190 Str and 70 Vit it's only worth maybe a couple of million, but there's nothing at all comparable with that much Dex. Also got the low roll on the CC though, so that hurts also.

As an aside, is anyone finding plans out the ass all of a sudden? I probably hadn't seen one in two weeks, then three Alkaizer runs in a row I got 3+ plans each time. All rares so nothing exciting, but really bizarre.

a monk will take it for partial IK bonus (60 all resis). somewhere below 15mil.

larvi

WTF...was playing hardcore had my DH up to level 50 and cruising along when I got disconnected from the server. When I logged back in the char was dead. Is this normal? There were no monsters around me when the connection dropped. Pretty much makes me not want to play HC at all if this is the case.

lucky! I havent had a saleable item since i started playing again

You'll get one. I must have salvaged 20-30 crappy legandaries in that two week timespan. I had 3 set pieces too. Two of them were also salvaged and one was sold for 350k. Just terrible rolls.

Anustart

Sold that Litany, allowed me to get a new weapon! (20k dps increase O.O), new mojo (14k dps increase) and a new ammy that was relatively the same, but a bit more vit and int and loh which I needed since I got a new weapon.

Rom1944

Does anybody knows where to farm cain set design and leoric signet?

i searched the diablo 3 forums and only found that it is in act 2 normal is this rigth?

Fularu

Banned
I'll have to see if I can convince Jim to register here, though I don't think he would necessarily ever post.

Regardless - I'm glad that we were able to help you out. Assistance and teamwork like this is one aspect to this game which I always appreciate and desire to provide.
You're a great guy to play with and you know it :p ;)

Rufus

i searched the diablo 3 forums and only found that it is in act 2 normal is this rigth?
Dunno about the design, but the Signet drops in Act 2 Normal, yes. I can't recommend farming that thing though. You'd be driving yourself insane. Nothing worthwhile can drop there besides the Signet. Think about that. You don't even get a lot of gold and you're looking for ONE item. You'll want to blow your brains out by the third run.

Don't do it, man. For your sanity's sake. Farm MP0 Act 3 and just save up to buy one.

turnbuckle

Dunno about the design, but the Signet drops in Act 2 Normal, yes. I can't recommend farming that thing though. You'd be driving yourself insane. Nothing worthwhile can drop there besides the Signet. Think about that. You don't even get a lot of gold and you're looking for ONE item. You'll want to blow your brains out by the third run.

Don't do it, man. For your sanity's sake. Farm MP0 Act 3 and just save up to buy one.

This is the best advice. Alternatively you could drop $10-16 for one on the RMAH. It would take the average person several days to over a week of playing fairly often to get one to drop, and at that point you're talking sub 10 cents an hour. The same could be said of anything in the game, but the Signet is sort of in a special category. Nothing else of value can drop while you're there, a week of farming will grant you a fraction of a bar of experience, and it's an item that is useful for any character at any level at and above its level requirement and below plvl 100.

Also nice to have one on a follower :p

turnbuckle

So....they announced a new feature for SC2's HOTS called "groups". Let's be optimistic and they add this in the future expansion(hopefully we don't have to wait 2-3 years for this)

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7994698/First_Look_Groups_Coming_in_Heart_of_the_Swarm-12_3_2012

It'd be nice, and it'd also be nice if we could somehow get ahead of the 4 player limit. Almost every day I play I'm asked if I want to join in groups with friends while in groups with other friends or cool people I met in game or on gaf.

I have a hard time remembering who's a gaffer unless they use their gaf name. Would love to put ya'll into a group.

Rom1944

This is the best advice. Alternatively you could drop $10-16 for one on the RMAH. It would take the average person several days to over a week of playing fairly often to get one to drop, and at that point you're talking sub 10 cents an hour. The same could be said of anything in the game, but the Signet is sort of in a special category. Nothing else of value can drop while you're there, a week of farming will grant you a fraction of a bar of experience, and it's an item that is useful for any character at any level at and above its level requirement and below plvl 100.

Also nice to have one on a follower :p

ok i will desist of farming i dont even want the ring i was planning on farming it to sell it for gold but thinking it better its seems pointless as you say.
will keep farming act3 then i wanted a little change because farming is getting quite dull lately for me.

Tc91

So how long does it take to get a Hellfire Ring? Can't be bothered to farm for the Leoric's and that extra xp % is really nice.

manfestival

I'll have to see if I can convince Jim to register here, though I don't think he would necessarily ever post.

Regardless - I'm glad that we were able to help you out. Assistance and teamwork like this is one aspect to this game which I always appreciate and desire to provide.

I played the game almost exclusively alone with every now and then hopping on public games. Now I am not sure if I want to do that anymore unless im gauging what im capable of in a solo run.

plus I totally need that first piece so I can make my first hellfire ring!

Rufus

will keep farming act3 then i wanted a little change because farming is getting quite dull lately for me.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I moved to MP5 key farming for now, even though I don't plan to craft another Hellfire ring... I should probabl just switch to Planetside 2 and leave D3 be until the next patch.

Stripes55

Neo Member
OK, I'm trying to download Diablo 3 to a second computer. I'm having problems even getting the setup to run (it gets stuck at 98% downloaded), and I've been going back and forth with Blizzard on this. Two of the responses were specific to WoW!!! Can they not read, or do they just not care?

Anyway, hoping some of my fellow GAFers might be able to help. I click on the game client download from battle.net, tell it to run the setup.exe file, and on the rare occasions that it does complete, I'm getting an error saying that it can't extract the files.

Has anyone here run into this, and was there a workaround? I've given up hope that Blizzard well be of any help.

kennah

<3 playing with GAF and friends of GAF. Thanks to the dude who gave me the IK Chest that dropped while getting stacks for Ubers today. Was a very decent upgrade to my existing one.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Uhhhh...nope. You can get a better part of rare gloves with higher base stats and AR for infinitely less than 15 million.

Unless Monks started using IK sets and no one told me.

Mine used to rock with IK gloves and boots. both has almost 200 dex on them.
but I am tired of monk and sold everything on her.

turnbuckle

<3 playing with GAF and friends of GAF. Thanks to the dude who gave me the IK Chest that dropped while getting stacks for Ubers today. Was a very decent upgrade to my existing one.

Damn, that's extremely awesome of him. Yeah, playing with gaf and friends is so much fun. I rarely play anymore for very long if I'm going solo unless I'm mainly grinding keys/exp. I've worked about 50 hours since Friday, so haven't had much time to play other than some yesterday and Saturday night. Had a great time doing some ubers with Opiate and a few friends.

A monk can buy a trifecta glove for less than 15m, I believe. There's no way any halfway decent monk will use IK's without critical hit damage + chance (i think all they have is chance?), regardless of how much dex they have :0

That was Raticus. He's a GAF lurker that's ran with us for a while. He's got an account request here, but is still waiting for approval. He's been waiting forever. Anyway ... Totally generous and cool dude.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Damn, that's extremely awesome of him. Yeah, playing with gaf and friends is so much fun. I rarely play anymore for very long if I'm going solo unless I'm mainly grinding keys/exp. I've worked about 50 hours since Friday, so haven't had much time to play other than some yesterday and Saturday night. Had a great time doing some ubers with Opiate and a few friends.

Damn, wish I could join all you GAFfers. Not many of us EU players seem to be active, but joining the US servers would mean starting from scratch :/.

VALKYRAY

Banned
stop wasting gold on the monk, sell everything ASAP and invest the gold on another class (barb or wiz). I've learned it the hard way.

Anyone have any suggestions of what gear my monk should be going for now? I have around 80M to spend. Thanks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/tfg9000-1442/hero/3160308

You have WAY too much life for a monk. 33-35K is all you need. Monks healing spells don't scale with HP like a barbs do. So once you get about 35K HP, you really want to focus on better armor and res to make those HP last. For the longest time I was running around with 30-33K life just fine. You also have very very little crit hit DMG with all the Crit %.

I would do this:

- Get a cheap belt. Ironically, yours has not enough vit on it. You should be able to find DEX, VIT, LIFE % and AR for a semi cheap price. Maybe 5 million. This will afford you the ability to drop that purple gem in your helm for a red one and gain exp faster.

- Drop your pants for a pair of Inna's pants. One more crit / IAS / and movement speed and more DEX than your pants. Get one with lighting res and not AR and they should be cheap. AR brings up the price on the patns because DH's also find them valuable. You're going to swap your chest anyway for some of that AR you give up. Innas chest isn't that great.

- Drop Inna's chest and get a standard chest with 60 +AR / 2-3 SOC / 140 DEX / 140 VIT. The AR you lose from swapping to innas pants you get back from swapping out the chest. In addition you get more movement speed / IAS and one more crit % from the pants. This should run you 15-25 million for the chest. You will love the 24% movement speed.

- Drop the shield. You have no vit and very little AR on that sheild anyway.

- Get off hand w/ DEX, SOC , Crit % (20-30 million) This will be your biggest increase in DPS by far. Dual wield has a naitive 15% IAS increase and you'll be adding 150 or so Crit DMG to your build. BTW ... all this IAS helps w/ building spirit and LOH procs.

- Drop that ring w/ LOH and replace it with cheap CC / Crti DMG and Light res & Dex. You can get back a little of that CC you lose from dropping the sheild.

- You'll have to put in the innas pants since they come standard with soc, so might as well upgrade your gems too.

- Get boots with some AR. You'll have to drop VIT, but as I said you have plenty to give up.

- At least get some Light Res on that Innas helm. They're super cheap now too. Helms withour AR are less than a million now IIRC.

After all that I would consider saving for a Vile Ward on your sholders.

Check out my guy:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

stop wasting gold on the monk, sell everything ASAP and invest the gold on another class (barb or wiz). I've learned it the hard way.

If you enjoy monk don't listen to this. You should be well aware that the monk class is expensive to play at efficient levels. If you're "iffy" on the monk class then listen and run as fast as you can. lol

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GiJose-1865/hero/841925

Any quick tips on what I should aim to upgrade first, apart from every piece of gear I have? Haven't fired up D3 in a while and thought I should get back in the game. It got much easier than it was before... but I'd like to start just tearing through things.

Any specific builds I should look into?

I'm not a barb, but I'm sure one will offer some advice. It's been a while since you've played. Everyone has Crit % and Crit DMG to get their DPS up. I'm not too sure about the specifics, but you should be looking for a Wirlwind or Rend barb builds. WW specifically relies on CC which you have none of.

kennah

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GiJose-1865/hero/841925

Any quick tips on what I should aim to upgrade first, apart from every piece of gear I have? Haven't fired up D3 in a while and thought I should get back in the game. It got much easier than it was before... but I'd like to start just tearing through things.

Any specific builds I should look into?

I... oh god... I'm so sorry. Add me kennah#1358. I have some hand me downs you can have and we can stage a barbintervention.

Easy tips -

Revenge as your right click is useless because you can't use it frequently. Change it to Rend or Leap or something like that.
Try Bash - Onslaught or Cleave instead of Frenzy. Frenzy is fun and all, but just doesn't plow down the dudes.

As for gear.... all of it is really really bad. Basically focus on getting your str up to about 2000, you vit can be somehwere around 900-1000 and crit chance up to 50% and crit damage up to 500% Another barb told me once that basically you should have 10% crit damage for every 1% of crit chance. Keeps your build balanced and maximizes dps.

I'll be on later tonight and have a whole bunch of barb gear you can just have. Will get you a good start.

Specific advice:
Helm with Crit chance and a socket.
Crit chance and str and vit on your cloves.
Str, vit and all res on your shoulders
your belt is probably the best you're going to get for a while.
Str of at least 150 and vit of at least 50, all res and sockets if you can on your chest. even the cheapest garbage IK chest would be better than what you have.
pants - str, vit, all res + sockets if you can.
boots - movement speed, str, vit

Your all res is a little high for the changes that 1.0.5 introduced. You can get away with 300-400 if you're careful. And that 300 is easy to get with only two parts of the IK set.

Ok, even more.
Weapons master as a passive, and use an Axe or Mace in your mainhand. Gives you 10% crit chance. (Again, I have some you can have)

Rufus

Yes, they are both shouts, but why would that preclude using them both together? I've been using both for quite a while now.

GiJoccin

Hahahahaha I know how terrible my gear is. Shows how long ago it was that I played (launch), and even then I had pretty bad gear.

I'll definitely add ya

VALKYRAY

Banned
@ Fenderputty where are the gems? looks like you are ditching the monk too? lol
there are whole lot of articles out there why monk is bad.
I can list a few here, see for yourself.
- expensive gear, very expensive
- Dex is inferior than Int and Str
- lack of offensive steroids. good luck surpassing the unbuffed 100K DPS mark
- only few defensive options and blizzard is itching on nerfing one with everything. there's a great chance that you might lose millions of gold. remember the attack speed nerf?

theres a reason why monk is way less popular than wiz and barb, I ignored all the facts and wasted hundreds of USD only to prove the facts about the monk is true indeed.

@ Fenderputty where are the gems? looks like you are ditching the monk too? lol
there are whole lot of articles out there why monk is bad.
I can list a few here, see for yourself.
- expensive gear, very expensive
- Dex is inferior than Int and Str
- lack of offensive steroids. good luck surpassing the 100K DPS mark
- only few defensive options and blizzard is itching on nerfing one with everything. there's a great chance that you might lose millions of gold. remember the attack speed nerf?

theres a reason why monk is way less popular than wiz and barb, I ignored all the facts and wasted hundreds of USD only to prove the facts about the monk is true indeed.

I swap out the Ruby and Emrald between my WD and my monk. Currently my WD has them. My monk would have 125K base DPS with that gem in though. ;) (I need to change out the IAS on my ammy to Crit DMG, but am not spending money on my monk for now. My overall IAS increased so much from the echoing fury I no longer need it on the ammy. I've also added LS now reducing my LOH making overall IAS less important.)

I agree with everything you said above BTW. Dex is inferior because dodge is by far the worst defensive mechanic. INT for res and STR for armor are both much better stats for defense. Especially since we can no longer dodge reflect damage. Gear is stupid pricey. NO offensive pasives worth a damn. All these things play into why a monk isn't efficient at farming higher end game without spending tons.

Still ... I enjoy the monk and am now splitting my time paragon leveling between my WD and monk. I like how my monk dives into a fight whacking shit down. I think the WD has more interesting ways of dealing damage but end up missing how careless my monk can be running into a battle.

So far playing the two classes has extended my interest in the game a lot.

I have ZERO interest in Barb and DH. Though I might consider rolling a WZ one day. They look interesting to me as a support class. Freezing ubers makes battles so easy.

It sucks I have no interest in DH. 80% of my monk gear would transfer over. All I would need is a DML and a Decent Bow / Helm. I'm pretty sure I would have a rather rocking DH rather easily without spending much.

Maybe if a 2 SOC manticore ever drops for me I'll roll one.

I don't know why I'm not interested in a barb. Maybe because I played my monk so much the other melee class doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to be just another barb too I guess. Also I have to get a whole new set of gear. I would roll a DH before a barb because of that. WZ can use my WD gear.

Talaysen

I agree with everything you said above BTW. Dex is inferior because dodge is by far the worst defensive mechanic. INT for res and STR for armor are both much better stats for defense. Especially since we can no longer dodge reflect damage. Gear is stupid pricey. NO offensive pasives worth a damn. All these things play into why a monk isn't efficient at farming higher end game without spending tons.

A Blizzard rep stated that you never could dodge reflect damage. It was just a bug on the PTR only.

I have ZERO interest in Barb and DH. Though I might consider rolling a WZ one day. They look interesting to me as a support class. Freezing ubers makes battles so easy.

I changed my build to a full support build for farming runs above MP1. I only have like 60k DPS, but I'm increasing everyone else's DPS by 25% and their attack speed by 10% while freezing things. It's pretty awesome.

Can't really do it for ubers though. Would have to sacrifice some of that freezing power and it's not really worth it in my opinion.

A Blizzard rep stated that you never could dodge reflect damage. It was just a bug on the PTR only.

I changed my build to a full support build for farming runs above MP1. I only have like 60k DPS, but I'm increasing everyone else's DPS by 25% and their attack speed by 10% while freezing things. It's pretty awesome.

Can't really do it for ubers though. Would have to sacrifice some of that freezing power and it's not really worth it in my opinion.

I'm not sure I believe them about the RD thing. RD damage was never an issue for my monk until 1.0.5. Maybe it's just MP levels affecting the level of damage output? Could be I guess.

It's amazing how much easier ubers are with you freezing shit. MP8 last night was a breeze.

Talaysen

I'm not sure I believe them about the RD thing. RD damage was never an issue for my monk until 1.0.5. Maybe it's just MP levels affecting the level of damage output? Could be I guess.

That and everyone's DPS jumped up a huge amount. And enemies have more HP to chew through.

I can't really personally confirm what they said is true, but I'm taking their words at face value for now since there are several other possible explanations why people are having so much trouble. Could be convinced otherwise with enough evidence.

Regardless, I think we should be able to dodge reflect damage anyway. It doesn't really make sense from a reality point of view, but dodging needs the buff, and it's cool mechanics-wise.

Unrelated, kind of sad they have to delay the PvP blog. I'm more interested in how they're going to do it than the actual PvP itself. I usually don't bother with PvP in games, but since they're taking so long, it doesn't seem like it's going to be generic "turn friendly fire on" PvP that Diablo 2 and Torchlight 2 have. Might actually be interesting?

windz

It's amazing how much easier ubers are with you freezing shit. MP8 last night was a breeze.

Yeah Tela's freezing ability is awesome :D amazing how helpful having that FULL freezelock can be. I haven't tested out my wiz since I got some upgrades, but i was close-ish to complete freeze but the mob would never be fully shut down (single target). I'm at 2.89 APS now so I think I should be good. Could even pick up a trifecta ring to bump that up to 2.9+. Or even an Inna's pants but don't feel like losing the survivability I get from Blackthorne's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom