• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle

I try not to let multiboxxers offend me. It's kind of like welfare in the sense that why would I get jealous or offended by something that receiving the same benefit would require putting myself in a position I'm miserable with?

Anyone can do it if they really want to. It's cost prohibitive, but if one thinks it's enjoyable enough to play that way and the benefits eventually outweigh the costs, then think of it as an investment. If one doesn't think it's a fun way to play or if one thinks the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost, then just ignore it.

Of course these things can cause an imbalance in the auction house, but I think it does more to lower the cost of items as they stuff the supply chain.

Now dupers, botters, and cheaters in general can rot in hell (or nightmare, normal, inferno).

But like I said, I "try" not to let it bother me. Sometimes it's annoying to think you're only playing at a fraction of your potential compared to others, but I try convincing myself that that line of thinking would kill the enjoyment of the game for me altogether if I let it. And a lot of people understandably do let it bother them in such a way.

centracore

Found my first really decent legendary tonight.. sucks that it doesn't have 12% movement speed but it's currently on the AH for 90mil!

5z58Z8v.png

Cipherr

What is the the exp bonus on the new high level ruby on PTR? Anyone know?

I was starting to think that I was the only one who didn't like POE..

You aren't alone. I haven't EVER found it fun to actually play. For all its interesting loot design and skill tree ideas, the gameplay is dry as all hell.

balddemon

Banned
Just read the 1.07 patch notes...this might be game #2 that grabs my attention because of new patches. #1 was Maplestory yesterday, and hopefully I'm burned out on that already. Any news on when the patch will go live outside the PTR?

neoism

What is the the exp bonus on the new high level ruby on PTR? Anyone know?

You aren't alone. I haven't EVER found it fun to actually play. For all its interesting loot design and skill tree ideas, the gameplay is dry as all hell.

nah I really don't like it, its decent but definitely not amazing... they got the crafting and items right but fighting is boring....ppl love to shit on d3 in that thread though...FFA loot is a no no for me though. If only they would have gottin the game-play right. The one thing d3 is missing it the "little items" I really like the currency idea in the game... ill play both maybe, but still can't fucking wait for the patch... TAKES sooo long. :/ blizztards

turnbuckle

after playing a few hours of path of exile and watching my brother play a bit more I can say that the combat and atmosphere of the game leaves a lot to be desired.

I like the skill tree or whatever it's called and love the idea of different skill gems though. If you could take the best of D3 and POE you'd have an incredible game, but I don't think I'm gonna play much more POE for awhile. Almost fell asleep the combat is so dull.

Not being able to see how much damage you give and receive and not being able to tell how much hp a group of enemies have (you can only see the HP of the enemy you're currently targeting at the top of the screen) are fundamental flaws that kill the whole experience for me. I don't understand why something simple like that could ever be left out. Had the same issue with titan's quest but found mods to fix that.

So far POE seems more like a skinner box wet dream than anything I've played in awhile, definitely more than D3.

Unimpressed and I went in with an open mind. I'm kinda getting bored with D3 and would have loved to have another game as a diversion, but POE just ain't it.

turnbuckle

Have you tried Torchlight 2?

Yup. Bought that day 1. That game is more my style than POE but the combat doesn't feel right and the game feels a lot less polished. I don't know why it didn't hook me the way the first one did, but the longer I played it the more I wanted to play something else.

I've been playing a bunch of Persona on the Vita lately (well, persona 3 since I haven't finished that yet, but looking forward to persona 4 afterwards). MLB the Show 13, Fire Emblem, and Etrian Odyssey are going to give me a lot of diversions soon enough. Maybe by the time I get back into D3 there'll be more for me to do.

Eccocid

Am i the only DH who uses Chakram?
I haven't seen anyone other DH who uses it, but so far i think it is the best attack for a DH. I get less hate cost from gear so i can use it pretty much nonstop.. The amount of area it covers is so wide. With explosive bola shot and chakram you can pretty much kill a group of mobs so fast.

larvi

Just finished inferno A3 with my hardcored DH. So how much harder is A4? I know the keywarden is a bitch but what about the other bosses. I know my sc DH had big problems with rakanoth and izual when i first ran A4 inferno.

Here's a link to my profile, am I ready?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Larvi-1905/hero/30286881

DPS is pretty low at around 21K but I'm using spitfire turrets and wolf companion and that seemed to work well for for A3. I killed asmodan quick enough.

I haven't seen anyone other DH who uses it, but so far i think it is the best attack for a DH. I get less hate cost from gear so i can use it pretty much nonstop.. The amount of area it covers is so wide. With explosive bola shot and chakram you can pretty much kill a group of mobs so fast.

I've tried it and with the aps of a Calamity and the hatred regen you can pretty much fill rooms with the chakrams. But my experience with them was that I could hit pretty much everything in the room but the target i wanted to hit, probably just needed more practice with them. But for lower mp levels I prefer mutlishot, spray of teeth and ball lightning to clear rooms fast and for higher mp levels I like the damage of bola coupled with spike trap - echoing blast

Cipherr

I wish they'd add more cursors (or allow custom ones) because I keep loosing track of it when there's a lot going on on-screen.

I have the same problem. Sad that they dont have a option for a brighter cursor. It just merges in with the color theme of the game most times when things get hectic.

Terrible UI oversight.

Chakrams are great, except they arc and miss your intended target alot. Ball Lightning on the other hand has pretty much the same low hatred cost and can also be spammed forever, and has a massive hitbox, and when you fire it, you know for certain that it will hit whatever you fired it at.

BL == Chakram without the worry of missing your target. Not to mention how ball lightning makes every Missile Dampening champ pack + the key warden of act 2 a total free kill.

kennah

You can't play it from the disc. You just take the code and apply it to your battlenet account and download from there. Authentication is done server side

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Holy crap, I just read through the patch notes from 1.07 and so much has changed in this game over the last few patches. I definitely have to give this game another try. I stalled out last time in Act 2 inferno with my barbarian.

Talaysen

Not being able to see how much damage you give and receive and not being able to tell how much hp a group of enemies have (you can only see the HP of the enemy you're currently targeting at the top of the screen) are fundamental flaws that kill the whole experience for me. I don't understand why something simple like that could ever be left out. Had the same issue with titan's quest but found mods to fix that.

I don't think Diablo 2 had anything like that! Can't be a Diablo 2 clone if you don't copy the bad parts too! (I like PoE quite a bit, but a lot of these complaints are dead on, and why I can't really consider it better than Diablo 3.)

I've been playing a bunch of Persona on the Vita lately (well, persona 3 since I haven't finished that yet, but looking forward to persona 4 afterwards). MLB the Show 13, Fire Emblem, and Etrian Odyssey are going to give me a lot of diversions soon enough. Maybe by the time I get back into D3 there'll be more for me to do.

Etrian Odyssey heck yeah!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So Path of Exile was acting up today, kicking people and putting us in server queues. Came back and finally beat act 3 nightmare with my barbarian. This guy is so fun to play. It was a very welcome change to the poor melee combat from PoE. I played a heavy melee guy in there and it really pales in comparison to the feel of D3's action. THe character building is amazingly well done, so is the loot system, but D3 simply feels a lot better to actually play.

Anyway, I see some chatter about this 1.07 patch. Is it supposedt o be big? What are some of the changes people are looking forward to?

Tarazet

I rebuilt my gear around getting more critical chance for Cyclone. (I had to nerf my damage a little for the sake of support for key runs, by changing my spec.) I also stole an excellent fist weapon with attack speed, crit damage and a socket for 600k. So for 750K I improved my effective DPS massively. Now I'm running with 46% chance to crit and fucking tornadoes everywhere, goddamn! Now my goal is basically to upgrade everything along these same lines, but with more Dex and crit damage.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tarazet-1231/hero/2529492

ok is this AH lag or what... I search for something I want and it has current bid 10m and buyout at 25m. i wait til last second and put bid 10m that was the low buyin value they had put...why did it say bid was too low...? Why dont they tell me what the fuck I need to bid to buy the item?

ok so they had 10m already. i tried to up it to 11m and it said bid too low still. yet it didnt tell me the current bid it said 10M when i refreshed the search...

annoying.

Anyone up for ubers in 30 minutes? I've got 5 machines we could probably get two or three runs done, at least I'm hoping.

Yea probably should finish that work. loot might be a little less important.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man they definitely nerfed the hell out of Inferno with the last few patches. When I stopped playing, I was firmly stuck at the beginning of Act 2. I just blew through all of Inferno today. And it wasn't hard at all. The bosses especially were jokes.

Fun game though. No real interest in going further though.

Tarazet

Man they definitely nerfed the hell out of Inferno with the last few patches. When I stopped playing, I was firmly stuck at the beginning of Act 2. I just blew threw all of Inferno today. And it wasn't hard at all. The bosses especially were jokes.

Fun game though. No real interest in going further though.

It is a lot easier, but I did some MP4 keyruns in Act 2 with a group and those mobs are vicious. It was just constant corpse-running like the old days.

Shifty76

It is a lot easier, but I did some MP4 keyruns in Act 2 with a group and those mobs are vicious. It was just constant corpse-running like the old days.

Heh, I helped some guys out with ubers on MP6 and was amazed how quick & easy it was. I'd say it took maybe 6-7 mins to beat all 3 sets.
Mind you, I'm used to doing ubers on MP9-10, so anything seems quick compared to that.

Can't wait for 1.07 to go live, mostly because of the reflect damage fix.
It's ridiculous that 5.5% life steal, 600 LoH, 750 AR, 5k armor, 50k HP isn't enough to keep you from dying from more than 2-3 hits on RD minions.

New crafting will be nice too, considering any upgrade to my amulet is going to cost me hundreds of millions.

turnbuckle

I'm not sure if I've posted this ring before but I've been trying to find one better for my barb and it's been pretty difficult unless I was willing to pull out the credit card. I've gone back and forth wondering if I should sell it or not and I don't even know what it'd be worth if I did. Love that it rolled a socket since I'm able to share it across all my alts. :)

g1trDqi.png

I bought that for 80m a couple months ago on a 1d12h auction. When I posted it to the general chat and told everyone I got a deal at 80m people were (surprise) being insulting and saying I was ripped off, but in whispers I got a bunch of people asking me if I'd sell it for 150m, 200m, 100m etc :p

---

Anywho, Blizzard really needs to fix the auction house or at least speak up about it. It's been too laggy for me to post items, and since that's most of what I've been doing with the game lately I just don't even bother. I tried Path of Exile some more yesterday but I just can't get into it. I hope it does well enough that it motivates Blizzard to borrow some of its ideas about itemization and class build diversity, but those great features aren't enough to hook me to POE as it currently stands. It's still in beta so there's probably a better chance it'll make improvements that bring it closer to D3's polish than Blizzard making changes to D3 to adopt some of POE's better traits.

Shifty76

I'm not sure if I've posted this ring before but I've been trying to find one better for my barb and it's been pretty difficult unless I was willing to pull out the credit card. I've gone back and forth wondering if I should sell it or not and I don't even know what it'd be worth if I did. Love that it rolled a socket since I'm able to share it across all my alts. :)

g1trDqi.png

I bought that for 80m a couple months ago on a 1d12h auction. When I posted it to the general chat and told everyone I got a deal at 80m people were (surprise) being insulting and saying I was ripped off, but in whispers I got a bunch of people asking me if I'd sell it for 150m, 200m, 100m etc :p

---

Anywho, Blizzard really needs to fix the auction house or at least speak up about it. It's been too laggy for me to post items, and since that's most of what I've been doing with the game lately I just don't even bother. I tried Path of Exile some more yesterday but I just can't get into it. I hope it does well enough that it motivates Blizzard to borrow some of its ideas about itemization and class build diversity, but those great features aren't enough to hook me to POE as it currently stands. It's still in beta so there's probably a better chance it'll make improvements that bring it closer to D3's polish than Blizzard making changes to D3 to adopt some of POE's better traits.

My guess is 100m+ pretty easily. Not often you get trifecta AND avg dmg on the same item. Fantastic avg dmg roll at that.

I'd remove the life regen as a search similar item & just sort by avg dmg & the trifecta & see what pops up. Great thing with the socket is it's viable for all classes, so your market is really everyone. I know my monk would love it (4k dps increase for me), but it's way outta my price range.

I'm getting a little burned out trying to get upgrades for my monk. That'd be 100m+ just for 4k more DPS, and all my other slots are the same situation.

Maybe time to gear up one of my alt's - got all other classes at 60, just haven't invested too much into them yet.

turnbuckle

My guess is 100m+ pretty easily. Not often you get trifecta AND avg dmg on the same item. Fantastic avg dmg roll at that.

I'd remove the life regen as a search similar item & just sort by avg dmg & the trifecta & see what pops up. Great thing with the socket is it's viable for all classes, so your market is really everyone. I know my monk would love it (4k dps increase for me), but it's way outta my price range.

I'm getting a little burned out trying to get upgrades for my monk. That'd be 100m+ just for 4k more DPS, and all my other slots are the same situation.

Maybe time to gear up one of my alt's - got all other classes at 60, just haven't invested too much into them yet.

Yeah, I never search by regen. It was just what happened to be on there. It's a nice thing to have, and that with the slight life on hit I get with Unity and my 5.8-6% lifesteal on belt+weapon generally keep my HP maxed unless I run into a champion reflect damage pack with minions :p

I find that I don't really like attack speed when I play my monk, though I only ever play my monk for mp0 farming. The attack speed burns spirit a touch faster and the ring takes up a slot for a regen stone of jordan unless I opt not to wear a hellfire ring.

I know what ya mean about upgrades. I've made a fair bit of gold in the AH and have some pretty good gear, but I'm not willing to pay outrageous prices for an upgrade. The 300m I paid for my mempo and 300m for my ice climbers (this was actually an incredible deal) are my upper limit, and I don't even wear those most of the time since I lose the fury bonus the IK set affords me.

Yeah, I never search by regen. It was just what happened to be on there. It's a nice thing to have, and that with the slight life on hit I get with Unity and my 5.8-6% lifesteal on belt+weapon generally keep my HP maxed unless I run into a champion reflect damage pack with minions :p

I find that I don't really like attack speed when I play my monk, though I only ever play my monk for mp0 farming. The attack speed burns spirit a touch faster and the ring takes up a slot for a regen stone of jordan unless I opt not to wear a hellfire ring. I know what ya mean about upgrades. I've made a fair bit of gold in the AH and have some pretty good gear, but I'm not willing to pay outrageous prices for an upgrade. The 300m I paid for my mempo and 300m for my ice climbers (this was actually an incredible deal) are my upper limit, and I don't even wear those most of the time since I lose the fury bonus the IK set affords me.

Ehhh ... Increased IAS helps with spirit regen since you build spirit per hit with your standard attack.

Monk specifically procs LOH better than any class also, something that is IAS dependent.

I always try to shoot for 2+ APS with my monk.

Shifty76

Ehhh ... Increased IAS helps with spirit regen since you build spirit per hit with your standard attack.

Monk specifically procs LOH better than any class also, something that is IAS dependent.

Ehhh...he's talking about tempest rush, which burns spirit at a cost of 10 * attack speed, so slower = better.
I know he didn't explicitly state that, but easy enough to figure out from the context :)

I have two different sets of gloves depending whether I'm using TR or not. Trifecta for not, high cc/cd with no IAS for TR.

turnbuckle

I run with a build and gear on my monk where all I do is sweeping wind / tempest rush through everything. 99% of the stuff is one shot so I basically clear stuff about as fast as my movement speed will carry me. I get my gear and passives set in a way where my spirit is basically never draining while still being able to use the tailwind rune.

It's just a fun diversion to playing higher monster power stuff on my barb. Having a high DPS life steal skorn made grinding a bunch of levels on mp0 incredibly fast and easy.

Ehhh...he's talking about tempest rush, which burns spirit at a cost of 10 * attack speed, so slower = better.
I know he didn't explicitly state that, but easy enough to figure out from the context :)

I have two different sets of gloves depending whether I'm using TR or not. Trifecta for not, high cc/cd with no IAS for TR.

Ha, what he said :p

If I was playing normally I'd definitely want that ias and dual wielding. I had a lot of fun doing that too, but didn't like the passives available and I wasn't familiar enough with the class to play very efficiently. I'm thinking of playing my monk in a more traditional way here and there after the patch hits.

Shifty76

I run with a build and gear on my monk where all I do is sweeping wind / tempest rush through everything. 99% of the stuff is one shot so I basically clear stuff about as fast as my movement speed will carry me. I get my gear and passives set in a way where my spirit is basically never draining while still being able to use the tailwind rune.

It's just a fun diversion to playing higher monster power stuff on my barb. Having a high DPS life steal skorn made grinding a bunch of levels on mp0 incredibly fast and easy.

If I was playing normally I'd definitely want that ias and dual wielding. I had a lot of fun doing that too, but didn't like the passives available and I wasn't familiar enough with the class to play very efficiently. I'm thinking of playing my monk in a more traditional way here and there after the patch hits.

Yeah, I run both since it gets stale doing MP0 TR all the time.
I'll switch up to MP7-8, run a few keys, maybe do some ubers, then go back to TR for a bit.

Getting a bit burned out on monk due to upgrade costs though.

Currently running my monk through MP10 A3 hell with max mf trying to find a homunculus since I don't have (and have never even had close to) the 150-200m needed for a 19-20 sec cooldown one.
Needle in a haystack though. Found a ton of lvl 56-58 legs, but no mojo yet.
Still, it gives me stuff to troll my mp10 ubers buddies with as I just keep all the unid'd legs I find & drop them randomly during uber runs :D

10 * APS = spirit cost of TR?

So 10* 1.9 = 19 spirit/sec for TR
And 10* 2.1 = 21 spirit/sec for TR

Is that correct? I wasn't aware TR spent spirit in this way so that the part of the contect was missing for me. If my above example is corrrect though, it seems like marginal gains at best. Though MP0 is also probably throwing me off. If one never stops to actually punch anything in MP0 those marginal gains might make a difference.

Vodh

Your APS can go anywhere between 0.9 and what, 4? 5? Even with a valid equipment it's not that hard to conceive a 100% increase in aspd aquired by faster weapons and aspd gear. 100% increase in spirit cost is in no way marginal.

Tarazet

So you run a Skorn monk? I tried running 2H on my hardcore monk, and I found it boring as shit, especially with Deadly Reach. Instead of bashing your opponent furiously, you're kind of slowly poking them with a stick.

Shifty76

Is that correct? I wasn't aware TR spent spirit in this way so that the part of the contect was missing for me. If my above example is corrrect though, it seems like marginal gains at best. Though MP0 is also probably throwing me off. If one never stops to actually punch anything in MP0 those marginal gains might make a difference.

Yep, you got it.

Most TR monks will run anywhere between 10 and 14-15 spirit regen/sec, so ideal attack speed is under 1.4/sec (mine is 1.09 due to Inna's pants) so 10.9/sec when using TR.

And yeah, no stopping, except for SSS on elites and a couple of punches to refresh deadly reach bonus every 30 secs. The rest is just zoom zoom to the next elite.

Other than the obvious TR exception though, you're 100% correct that IAS = good for monks. I'm down to around 2.2/sec after switching out my lacuni's and really miss the IAS they gave.

turnbuckle

I don't know the exact numbers, but in your example you're talking about 2 more spirit per second. That's pretty significant, though I don't come close to that attack speed with my Skorn. 2 spirit regen would be too much of a trade off for going from 1.9 aps to 2.1. I'd rather get my damage from dex, crit %, and crit damage anyways since my goal is to 1-shot trash.

I sometimes would dual wield with 2 good fists that had high spirit regen, but the spirit drain was still significant because of the increase in attack speed and the loss of the passive that grants you more spirit regen when using a 2 hander.

So you run a Skorn monk? I tried running 2H on my hardcore monk, and I found it boring as shit, especially with Deadly Reach. Instead of bashing your opponent furiously, you're kind of slowly poking them with a stick.

Only when doing the tempest rush / sweeping wind thing.

Normally I would wear basically what's on my monk now. I hate 2 handers with a passion. Too slow to swing, too slow to generate resources, and just plain boring.

Here's my Monk (Liu Kang). I have a better hellfire ring but was using that build while playing with an archon wizard the other day so my gear is a little different than what I'd usually run with. The other ring I normally wear a tempest rush cold stone of jordan with around 2 spirit regen, but I can't remember if I sold it or if it's in my stash somewhere :p

Your APS can go anywhere between 0.9 and what, 4? 5? Even with a valid equipment it's not that hard to conceive a 100% increase in aspd aquired by faster weapons and aspd gear. 100% increase in spirit cost is in no way marginal.

Yes, but what you're talking about isn't achieved by simply swapping out to a different set of gloves, which is what I was responding too. What you're suggesting would require two entirely different sets of gear with the exception of a few pieces. I only dropped my IAS in the above example from 2.1 to 1.9 for a reason.

I guess if a person is running at around 3APS with an echoing fury and a bunch or trifecta gear, they would be better off dropping some IAS stuff to a 2H weapon and such for MP0 TR runs.

I had just not know of this spirit conversion and never run MP0. I use TR to move from pack of enemies to pack of enemies and then blast them with thunderclap when I get there. I was running the snapshot build, so increasing IAS after the snapshot was important as well.

Once I reach P100, i might consider getting a second set of slower gear simply for MP0 TR now though. 1.0.7 seems like it will make MP0 farming only efficient for drops per hour.

turnbuckle

I guess if a person is running at around 3APS with an echoing fury and a bunch or trifecta gear, they would be better off dropping some IAS stuff to a 2H weapon and such for MP0 TR runs.

I use a slow set of gear for my MP0 run and I notice the difference in attack speed from that ring and spirit regen over a unity I often used. Going from spending 10 or so spirit per second to 11-13 is extremely noticeable. Trying to use an exaggerated example like an echoing fury kills the idea of what I was doing altogether. I try to get my spirit regen to 11-13 per second with occasional sweeping wind refreshes and other skills if the situation calls for it. Even then I sometimes have to smack an enemy from time to time.

For awhile I was doing a snapshot with my skorn and then switching to my 2 fists in the profile, but I stopped doing that since it wasn't efficient. It was more interesting but not as efficient, and the entire point of doing the snapshot and playing with the setup I was using was to focus on efficiency. Maximizing the efficiency was fun in itself, but it caused me to make tradeoffs like not using attack speed for anything other than the initial snapshot. That's why you don't see ias on my gloves and why I'm wearing 8 ias innas over a 9 ias pair I have in my stash.

For better or worse there'll be no snapshot in the new patch and more incentive to play higher monster power. So I'll probably be ditching the mp0 farming build until I (if I) hit plvl 100.

TUSR

Banned
So what the fuck do I do in this game. Played a lot at launch, took a break until Paragon levels were introduced, played a bit, took a break and now im back.

Hellfire rings? Ubers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom