• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

Crafting will still be the equivalent of D2's gambling, with a little less thrill (no chance for set/unique). But yeah, it might be "viable".

I'd say not only viable, but mandatory if you want BiS items. Like that amulet for example.
You can not buy anything that good on the AH.

RivalCore

Crafted amulet from 1.07 test realm:

pb1rc1.png

http://diablo.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/pb1rc1.png if the img don't work

I think amulet market will really drop. You can just craft them all by yourself and get even better stats (example: max dex on an amulet is 330 and this one has almost 400).

And these crafted ones will have guaranteed 6 random properties so it's really great. Same for bracers, chest armor, and whatever other new crafting recipes there are. All of the market values for these items will drop since everything is account bound.

Christ I'd be suicidal knowing that you won't craft an item to that quality again.

Christ I'd be suicidal knowing that you won't craft an item to that quality again.

This is why I stay away from PTR. I was messing around with my Monk for the sweeping wind changes, no stacks, and a pretty good Andariel's Visage dropped from Ghom. So annoying.

And that amulet is insane. I'm really interested to see the ranges in quality for the new items. Also, I'd love to know how many amulets the player crafted before getting that roll.

neoism

pb1rc1.png

http://diablo.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/pb1rc1.png if the img don't work

:O
This is why I stay away from PTR. I was messing around with my Monk for the sweeping wind changes, no stacks, and a pretty good Andariel's Visage dropped from Ghom. So annoying.

And that amulet is insane. I'm really interested to see the ranges in quality for the new items. Also, I'd love to know how many amulets the player crafted before getting that roll.
yea will never play the PTR as soon as I do something fuckawesome will drop... shame you can recopy them back over....

turnbuckle

Crafting will still be the equivalent of D2's gambling, with a little less thrill (no chance for set/unique). But yeah, it might be "viable".

They really should have made these new crafting plans a new set. They cost a lot more than hellfire rings to make and they're asking to take up many slots that are already being used by set gear. I will never make the gloves or chest for my barbarian. If there was a set bonus I'd at least consider it.

Dahbomb

So it appears that you can't get top level items from the AH anymore, you have to craft them yourself.

I am OK with anything that marginalizes use of AH.

Vodh

What's even more important is that now I'll be able to farm for a short while and get to roll on a potentially awesome item for a slot of my choice with a guaranteed main stat on it. No need to find a million gold + item for a run to feel rewarding.

JoeMartin

Sweet Jesus that ammy is insane. I wonder if its possible for that little bit of +damage it rolled to roll a little Resist All instead. People would be killing themselves for a roll like that.

That is a PHENOMENAL damage roll, and is a considerable DPS gain. Highly undervalued stat that, and better still than all resist.

Shifty76

Sweet Jesus that ammy is insane. I wonder if its possible for that little bit of +damage it rolled to roll a little Resist All instead. People would be killing themselves for a roll like that.

*e* grr...beaten by Joe

People greatly undervalue +dmg on jewelry.

Without the +dmg roll, that amulet would give me +18.5k DPS
WITH the +dmg roll, that goes up to +40k DPS, several thousand higher if there's a hidden +min or +max roll in there.

So for me at least, over half the extra DPS from that amulet rests on the +dmg modifier.

I'll take that extra 20k+ DPS over maybe 50-60 AR any day of the week.

Cipherr

*e* grr...beaten by Joe

People greatly undervalue +dmg on jewelry.

Without the +dmg roll, that amulet would give me +18.5k DPS

WITH the +dmg roll, that goes up to +40k DPS, several thousand higher if there's a hidden +min or +max roll in there.

So for me at least, over half the extra DPS from that amulet rests on the +dmg modifier.

I'll take that extra 20k+ DPS over maybe 50-60 AR any day of the week.

What the fu... Are you serious? I had no idea that +damage was that valuable. Jesus Christ.

Dahbomb

Yeah +damage is very valuable. + damage with main stat and trifecta is a godly roll. More valuable than All Res roll or anything else really.

IlludiumQ36

That damage roll alone is worth 1292 raw DPS to a character with 2000 on their main att - and that is not even considering scaling against CC/CD. Damage rolls are incredibly undervalued.

turnbuckle

It's been stated a bunch of times already, but wanted to chime in myself. If you're able, you want to get + damage on all of your jewelry. You can get all res, even crit and attack speed elsewhere, but stacking heavy average damage on your jewelry does wonders for your dps. That amulet would be far less interesting to me if it had rolled 60 all res than that high average damage roll.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

pb1rc1.png

I think amulet market will really drop. You can just craft them all by yourself and get even better stats (example: max dex on an amulet is 330 and this one has almost 400).

And these crafted ones will have guaranteed 6 random properties so it's really great. Same for bracers, chest armor, and whatever other new crafting recipes there are. All of the market values for these items will drop since everything is account bound.

I love that it is account bound. That means (hopefully) that the best loot in the game will only be gotten by playing the game, not shopping the AH. I like that alot.

Can you guys stop posting about avg damage? Don't want prices going up on the AH.

Kidding. Those guys are right, +damage is undervalued and can give you a big boost on jewelry.

That is a PHENOMENAL damage roll, and is a considerable DPS gain. Highly undervalued stat that, and better still than all resist.

Part of the reason I love my Nats' ring I found so much is because of this. I had already got a double roll of dex and CD, the +DMG roll was the best icing ever on that cake. HA.

Riggs

Banned
Hey guys, the AH (gold) will not show stat comparisons for items on the AH vs what I currently have equipped. Any idea whats going on? Just started happening tonight it seems. Worked fine yesterday!

Rufus

Hey guys, the AH (gold) will not show stat comparisons for items on the AH vs what I currently have equipped. Any idea whats going on? Just started happening tonight it seems. Worked fine yesterday!
Switched to a naked character? Not wearing anything in the slot you're looking at?

Riggs

Banned
Switched to a naked character? Not wearing anything in the slot you're looking at?

Nah it's my character, maybe AH just does not show the stat differences? I forget, been a while since I've played but I thought yesterday it was showing. I could be wrong.

Shifty76

Nah it's my character, maybe AH just does not show the stat differences? I forget, been a while since I've played but I thought yesterday it was showing. I could be wrong.

Other than linking item in text then going in-game and clicking it, AH has never shown comparisons to current item.

My wd is almost p lvl 40... trying to farm keys to get a hellfire ring already for the exp bonus. I just did 20 mp5 a2 runs and didn't get a single key.. Im starting to think that i should just farm exp and forget about the ring -\ I'm losing so much exp doing these fail key runs

My wd is almost p lvl 40... trying to farm keys to get a hellfire ring already for the exp bonus. I just did 20 mp5 a2 runs and didn't get a single key.. Im starting to think that i should just farm exp and forget about the ring -\ I'm losing so much exp doing these fail key runs

Thats crazy you are p-level 40 and dont have a ring yet...I think you might be focusing too much on getting exp rather than playing the game. If you are going for key stuff you might as well partner up and tackle higher MP's so you dont have to waste time with not getting drops.

US, EU? US send Juices#1991 a F/R We can do some high MP runs so you have a good chance.

Thats crazy you are p-level 40 and dont have a ring yet...I think you might be focusing too much on getting exp rather than playing the game. If you are going for key stuff you might as well partner up and tackle higher MP's so you dont have to waste time with not getting drops.

US, EU? US send Juices#1991 a F/R We can do some high MP runs so you have a good chance.

I'm usa, not on atm buy my gear kinda sucks, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/liferebooted-1675/hero/1228571 I only have 20 mil atm. Nothing i can really upgrade with it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
pretty sure they mentioned something about that in a blue post, but it hasn't really been something anyone has brought up since.

I love not having to use OWE. I've been on a mission to reduce the double res gear and go for as much AR as I can get with a dual weild build. Once some stuff sells I'll get a belt that should raise me to around 580 AR with around 135K base DPS. The INNA's set really sucks up one's life though. This build would only have around 29K life. I have 5.6% LS now though and 280 LOH as well so the lower life hasn't been a large issue. In MP3, I can stand on a desecrator patch as long as I'm killing stuff.

Anyway ... the lack of OWE really opens up my build that I'm going to use for 1.0.7. I have two spirit generators and STE active. I'm sacrificing fleet foot, but the inclusion of tempest rush reduces it's need. So my farming build will be:

Passives: Exaulted Soul, STE & Chant of Res
Skills: Thunderclap > Tempest Rush > Cyclone Strike > BoH > MoC > Sweeping Wind

The build allows me to run in between enemy packs (and do damage to spider groups), pull in enemies that run from me & keep my spirit up.

I'll have to play around with higher MP's and grouping, I think my build will be similar with mostly gear changes. I would probablyl drop Tempest Rush for Exploding Palm in groups and would lose the sweeping wind Bonus from the INNA's set to swap out for a belt that does less damage with more AR and VIT.

What build will you other Monks be plaing once 1.0.7 hits?

jkanownik

I tried an experiment with the downtime yesterday. I bought a ton of gold and put bids in on items that ended during the downtime before I went to bed at 11PM PST.

The experiment was a failure. Enough East coasters were up before the downtime to outbid almost everything.

I tried an experiment with the downtime yesterday. I bought a ton of gold and put bids in on items that ended during the downtime before I went to bed at 11PM PST.

The experiment was a failure. Enough East coasters were up before the downtime to outbid almost everything.

Yeah, you REALLY need to be up and on the AH just before the downtime goes live.

kennah

I rebuilt my witch doctor for the purposes of a 'set and forget' build that my kid can use.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/kennah-1358/hero/7602085

Over 700 AR and 678 life per second is pretty entertaining on MP0. He can stand in an Arcane Sentry for about 6-8 seconds before it kills his character, even with only 30k life.

Sure the DPS is only 47k, but with the garg and 3 dogs and stuff it's perfectly time consuming for the toddler.

And thanks to the Thing of the Deep I got from fenderputty, my little gold farmer is ready to rock :) I want to try to get him up to over 1000 regen life and 15-20k in reflect damage.

I love not having to use OWE. I've been on a mission to reduce the double res gear and go for as much AR as I can get with a dual weild build. Once some stuff sells I'll get a belt that should raise me to around 580 AR with around 135K base DPS. The INNA's set really sucks up one's life though. This build would only have around 29K life. I have 5.6% LS now though and 280 LOH as well so the lower life hasn't been a large issue. In MP3, I can stand on a desecrator patch as long as I'm killing stuff.

Anyway ... the lack of OWE really opens up my build that I'm going to use for 1.0.7. I have two spirit generators and STE active. I'm sacrificing fleet foot, but the inclusion of tempest rush reduces it's need. So my farming build will be:

The build allows me to run in between enemy packs (and do damage to spider groups), pull in enemies that run from me & keep my spirit up.

I'll have to play around with higher MP's and grouping, I think my build will be similar with mostly gear changes. I would probablyl drop Tempest Rush for Exploding Palm in groups and would lose the sweeping wind Bonus from the INNA's set to swap out for a belt that does less damage with more AR and VIT.

I'm only at 77k DPS but 600AR, 5k armor (with STI and OWE). I'll probably stick with the cookie cutter, but I'll be swapping out Blinding Flash for something else on lower MP. I need to do some testing. I liked Exploding palm for a while, but I want to test Bells and SSS again. If I could find some spirit regen gear I might mess around with TR.

Hey all, new to the thread and GAF in general.

I've been getting the itch to play some D3 again and monk has always been my favorite class in the game. My monk is about to ding paragon level 17.

So what is the new hotness with monks these days? Are tempest rush builds still a thing? I'd appreciate any links to how to setup that or any other good farming builds. I'll try to swing back and link my monk's profile after work today.

I'm only at 77k DPS but 600AR, 5k armor (with STI and OWE). I'll probably stick with the cookie cutter, but I'll be swapping out Blinding Flash for something else on lower MP. I need to do some testing. I liked Exploding palm for a while, but I want to test Bells and SSS again. If I could find some spirit regen gear I might mess around with TR.

Exploding Palm, tempest rush and cyclone strike are all getting buffs to DPS output, so that should open up different builds. Cyclone Stike is amazing with Exploding Palm on higher MP. The bell is fun, but I'm not sure it's as effective. It's just badass.

Monk builds are held back by OWE. It might take a while, but getting enough AR to stop using it allows you to passive your spirit regen without gearing for it. A lot of times when grouping at higher MP's, there's a barb there with their passive increasing your AR as well.

I figure you might as well gear that way anyway. It's known they want to reduce a monk's need for OWE and everyone assumes that will come in the form of a nerf. They've spoken out and said they woudn't force monks to re-gear, but I figure play it safe and make the change now.

Exploding Palm, tempest rush and cyclone strike are all getting buffs to DPS output, so that should open up different builds. Cyclone Stike is amazing with Exploding Palm on higher MP. The bell is fun, but I'm not sure it's as effective. It's just badass.

Monk builds are held back by OWE. It might take a while, but getting enough AR to stop using it allows you to passive your spirit regen without gearing for it. A lot of times when grouping at higher MP's, there's a barb there with their passive increasing your AR as well.

I figure you might as well gear that way anyway. It's known they want to reduce a monk's need for OWE and everyone assumes that will come in the form of a nerf. They've spoken out and said they woudn't force monks to re-gear, but I figure play it safe and make the change now.

If I had the gold, I'd do it, but for now I need new weapons and I'm low on funds. Having the extra free passive would be great, though.

If I had the gold, I'd do it, but for now I need new weapons and I'm low on funds. Having the extra free passive would be great, though.

Just something to shoot for. A goal of some sorts. It's not cheap to gear a ton of AR if you're also going for the INNA's set. If you only gear two pieces for the 130 extra dex it's not as bad.

larvi

I rebuilt my witch doctor for the purposes of a 'set and forget' build that my kid can use.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/kennah-1358/hero/7602085

Over 700 AR and 678 life per second is pretty entertaining on MP0. He can stand in an Arcane Sentry for about 6-8 seconds before it kills his character, even with only 30k life.

Sure the DPS is only 47k, but with the garg and 3 dogs and stuff it's perfectly time consuming for the toddler.

And thanks to the Thing of the Deep I got from fenderputty, my little gold farmer is ready to rock :) I want to try to get him up to over 1000 regen life and 15-20k in reflect damage.

I've done something similar with a WD for my alt account that I use for running ubers with my dh. She's got over 900res and 5000 life regen so I can just move her next to the ubers at the start of the battle then just forget her while the DH kills them. Should the DH happen to die I can raise him with the WD too. I went from only being able to solo mp5 with my DH (and usually taking several tries on the zk encounter) to being able to run mp7. Here's her profile on d3 progress:

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/larvi-1648/housecall/29646700

The best thing was that all of the gear was cheap as no one seems to value defensive stats without a primary main stat. That may change with 1.07 as life regen becomes more valueable for pvp

Tarazet

I got a legendary barb helm that sold for 10m. Used the proceeds to get Inna's pants and Natalya's boots for the set bonuses, and a cheap but good socketed sword to replace an unsocketed fist weapon in the mainhand. I would have gotten more of Inna's pieces, but I can't afford them.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tarazet-1231/hero/2529492

775 AR, 55K dps on the sheet, but holy shit I just can't die. It doesn't even matter what I do. I can stand in the middle of arcane and fire chains and plague, and as long as I keep hitting something with Fists of Thunder, my health just goes up and down but never runs out. BoH is only needed for the damage buff. I don't know why the DH set boots have melee damage reduction, but it makes a big difference for a Monk. I just wish the 4-piece Inna's set bonus wasn't so amazing that I have to shoot for it.

I had to make one change to the cookie-cutter build to suit my gear. Blade Storm is nice, but I can never keep it up between mobs and without the 4-piece Inna set, the cost of refreshing Sweeping Wind constantly is prohibitive. So I run with Master of Wind instead so the stacks never fall off and I can spend the Spirit on double stacks of Overawe instead.

Try the fire (more damage) & the wind companion (SW & prob of +100 spirit from time to time), very insteresting in 1.07

Shifty76

I got a legendary barb helm that sold for 10m. Used the proceeds to get Inna's pants and Natalya's boots for the set bonuses, and a cheap but good socketed sword to replace an unsocketed fist weapon in the mainhand. I would have gotten more of Inna's pieces, but I can't afford them.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tarazet-1231/hero/2529492

775 AR, 55K dps on the sheet, but holy shit I just can't die. It doesn't even matter what I do. I can stand in the middle of arcane and fire chains and plague, and as long as I keep hitting something with Fists of Thunder, my health just goes up and down but never runs out. BoH is only needed for the damage buff. I don't know why the DH set boots have melee damage reduction, but it makes a big difference for a Monk. I just wish the 4-piece Inna's set bonus wasn't so amazing that I have to shoot for it.

I had to make one change to the cookie-cutter build to suit my gear. Blade Storm is nice, but I can never keep it up between mobs and without the 4-piece Inna set, the cost of refreshing Sweeping Wind constantly is prohibitive. So I run with Master of Wind instead so the stacks never fall off and I can spend the Spirit on double stacks of Overawe instead.

I only ever use 4pc Inna's set when running Tempest Rush. That cheaper SW is just not worth the dps and resists/vit you give up from using other pieces.

Are you running 34% move speed? With that you should be able to keep up SW easy enough. I'm only at 22% since switching my Lacuni's out and I only ever need to refresh SW maybe once between packs. Take advantage of destroying barrels etc as each hit will refresh the 6 duration. I'd also recommend cyclone over blade storm, assuming your crit chance is over 30% - those tornadoes do a ton of damage.

Oh, a couple of gear suggestions if you don't mind the feedback:
1) Try to get some crit chance on your amulet. Potential 10 there and you have zero. You should be able to get something with avg dmg, dex, crit chance and crit dmg for a couple of million.
2) Look for a similar chest piece but with 3 sockets - that's 150-odd dex you're missing out on due to no sockets. I paid 1.2m for a chest with 70 dex, 170 vit, 78 AR, 50 FR, some extra armour & 3 sockets.

Tarazet

I only ever use 4pc Inna's set when running Tempest Rush. That cheaper SW is just not worth the dps and resists/vit you give up from using other pieces.

Are you running 34% move speed? With that you should be able to keep up SW easy enough. I'm only at 22% since switching my Lacuni's out and I only ever need to refresh SW maybe once between packs. Take advantage of destroying barrels etc as each hit will refresh the 6 duration. I'd also recommend cyclone over blade storm, assuming your crit chance is over 30% - those tornadoes do a ton of damage.

Oh, a couple of gear suggestions if you don't mind the feedback:
1) Try to get some crit chance on your amulet. Potential 10 there and you have zero. You should be able to get something with avg dmg, dex, crit chance and crit dmg for a couple of million.
2) Look for a similar chest piece but with 3 sockets - that's 150-odd dex you're missing out on due to no sockets. I paid 1.2m for a chest with 70 dex, 170 vit, 78 AR, 50 FR, some extra armour & 3 sockets.

I'm running at 24% movement speed, I thought there was a cap on it. Do you have to use the Fleet Footed passive to get around that?

1) I think you underestimate the price of such things. Like by a zero or two.
2) Chest piece will be next. If I'm not gunning for 4-piece Inna's, then I will probably try for a Natalya's, and we'll see how many sockets I can get within my budget.

I'm running at 24% movement speed, I thought there was a cap on it. Do you have to use the Fleet Footed passive to get around that?

2) Chest piece will be next. If I'm not gunning for 4-piece Inna's, then I will probably try for a Natalya's, and we'll see how many sockets I can get within my budget.

1. With CD, you are likely right. I have one with all of that, but sub IAS for CD that I got for 2m or less (can't remember). Hunt for a deal searching for Dex, avg damage and CC. Having CC on your amulet is very important.

2. Natalya's chest is DH only. I have a similar chest to what he is recommending and it's great. You'll have to wait for a good deal, but you can get one for ~1m. You'll make up for a lack of innate Dex with the sockets and you can improve that amount by getting better gems over time.

Tarazet

1. With CD, you are likely right. I have one with all of that, but sub IAS for CD that I got for 2m or less (can't remember). Hunt for a deal searching for Dex, avg damage and CC. Having CC on your amulet is very important.

2. Natalya's chest is DH only. I have a similar chest to what he is recommending and it's great. You'll have to wait for a good deal, but you can get one for ~1m. You'll make up for a lack of innate Dex with the sockets and you can improve that amount by getting better gems over time.

If that's the case, then I'll see what's out there. Unless something sold overnight, my budget will be around 5m for those two pieces.

If that's the case, then I'll see what's out there. Unless something sold overnight, my budget will be around 5m for those two pieces.

Some advice for you an anyone else that reads this: have an idea of how much a given stat affects your build. This is harder for defense, but for offensive stats I have an idea of how much IAS, CD, CC, Dex, and avg damage I need to get a 1k increase in DPS. That way you can determine if an amulet with 100 dex and 8 CC is better than one with 150 Dex and 7.5 CC or not.

Using a calculator like d3up is immensely helpful with this.

Yes. Fleetfoot is the only way to break the 24% speed barrier. It brings you to 34%. Fleetfoot with tempest rush is an extremely fast build, though it requires the use of two spirit passives and fleetfoot, leaving one a little squishy. For MP1/2 though ... it perfect. right now I dropped fleetfoot because tempest rush reduces it's need and I wanted a little more damage reduction since I only hve 29K life and find mp 0-2 too boring to run. I like mp 3 & 4 the most.

The whole INNA's set is nice. I used to think the massive reduction in cost to SW wasn't worth it, but I've changed my thinking a little here. The lack of spirit being spent on sweeping wind means more spirit for not only temptest rush, but also cyclone strike and exploding palm. It opens up the way in which you can play your monk.

The things that sucks about the INNA's set is that AR isn't standard. It's random and so getting good INNA's gear is expensive. If you're only going to go for two pieces, I would recomend the helm and pants. The helm is cheap and the pants provide movement and IAS. The belt is a decent damage boost but lacks either AR or VIT. You can't get both. A good chest is pricey too. If you run One With Everything you can stack your second res and bring down the cost on those pieces as well.

Most DPS monks wear the Nat's stuff too. Though only the boots and ring.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom