• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

Managed to kill Rakanoth and reached Diablo 6 mins before servers shut down :D
Oh, I found a 1100dps 2h BAR Weapon 200+ STR, Socket and freeze dmg, is it any good?
Here's a handy guide to 2H weapons:
Is it a Skorn with 300 mainstat? Worth something. Does it have life steal? Worth a lot more.

Does the new craftable recipe's have a higher drop rate in main bosses like Skeleton King, Maghda and whatnot compared to elites even with Nephalem Valor x5?

Tarazet

Here's a handy guide to 2H weapons:
Is it a Skorn with 300 mainstat? Worth something. Does it have life steal? Worth a lot more.

Skorn with 300 mainstat but no CD, socket, life steal is a brimstone. As a 2-hander it really needs all of that to be any good.

Shifty76

Skorn with 300 mainstat but no CD, socket, life steal is a brimstone. As a 2-hander it really needs all of that to be any good.

Err...Skorn comes with all that (except LS) by default...that's why it's so good.

Life steal is great, but is absolutely not needed if you're tempest rushing on MP0-1 since everything dies so fast anyway.

Vio-Lence

Banned
for barbs a skorn doesn't really need life steal to be effective, if you're running with a 2H rend w/blood lust is pretty awesome damage sustain, but not sure why any barb would run 2H over dw though.

Celegus

for barbs a skorn doesn't really need life steal to be effective, if you're running with a 2H rend w/blood lust is pretty awesome damage sustain, but not sure why any barb would run 2H over dw though.

I love my 2H with 6% LS, Rend w/ LS rune, and LS belt. As long as I have a monster or two bleeding, I'm practically invincible.

kennah

I love my 2H with 6% LS, Rend w/ LS rune, and LS belt. As long as I have a monster or two bleeding, I'm practically invincible.

I love my WD with 1400 life regen, 750 all res and life steal dogs. As long as he isn't standing in an arcane sentry he's pretty invincible.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

On high monster power, the 2H starts to shine because Rend doesn't stack, so you get more out of the skill that way.

There's a youtube video in here showing off with really high end stuff on mp10:
Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/185bxr/high_mp_wwrend_demo_on_ptr/
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvrs0F1P47Y

They're using "force move" to animation cancel on Rend, which makes the attack speed less of a problem.

Thats cool, lets not fix the fucking game and just port it to console. Man all the terrible design choices now make sense, everything was dumbed down for a future console port.

Cipherr

d3 coming to ps3 and 4... makes you put everything in perspective with the game design

Yep, I think about the skill tree system, the AH and its instant gratification, the chat UI and system thats straight out of the late 1990's, the strange 4 player limit when I KNOW it can handle more (shit I have had the game bug before and been in a game with 5 players!), the lack of ability to create a named game room instead of this auto matchmaking bullshit.

Yeah... assuming they made the choice to aim towards consoles a few years into this games development, Todays announcement explains a fucking lot.

It bothers me a little bit to be honest.... But oh well.

who's gonna double dip?!

not
me

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no. As it stands now, with my RMAH earnings, they paid ME about $522 to buy this game, and I still feel a little miffed that they pulled this shit. While the game languishes in mediocrity these fuckbags have been off designing UI elements and shit for a goddamn dualshock.

eek5

Glad we could beta test this game for our playstation bros.

Not sure if these are real screens:
5QRZBVBEOZQW1361393181615.jpg

QDILMIFVDK5H1361396245356.jpg

A7WLFH20BXV81361393179295.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the screens. Definitely won't be double-dipping, but I am curious to see what it looks like in motion.

And even if for some reason you don't think the loot system/itemization is outright broken, I don't think anyone could deny that it could have been (and should be) much better.

How?

Because its not how you want it, and its not Diablo 2, doesn't mean its broken...what stats are broken as in they dont do what they are supposed to?

Man are we even talking about the same game? The loot system in Diablo 3 is broken because its terrible. The majority of legendary items are brimstoned and there's no room for customization on a significant level.

ZnrHwZb.jpg

inky

How?

Because its not how you want it, and its not Diablo 2, doesn't mean its broken...what stats are broken as in they dont do what they are supposed to?

Damage type modifiers in weapons for example (fire, poison, aracane, lightning) were changed to be only cosmetic. The only one that does something is cold, but they took out the rest because of the over reliance on a single stat (DPS) for weapon damage, so they did nothing and no builds could be created around them. Thorns is shit too and comparatively does nothing either. Health globes quantity added might as well not exist. The way some stats work and roll (like all resists) make other specific resists (especially for Monks with a One with Everything passive) absolutely useless and not worth pursuing, because usually an all resist roll will be higher than a specific one. There's a lot of less variety on prefixes, which stifles build variety as a result. The IAS speed nerf is a good example. Everyone just moved on to CC and CHD and most builds, especially the most useful/successful ones, are engineered around that idea.

The fact that white, magic and even 99% of the rares are the items that drop the most, yet are completely useless says a good deal about what items need to be to be useful, and the very specific set of rolls they need to have to accomplish that. It is a bad system.

And no, Diablo 2 has little to do with my opinion, in fact, I played that game very little and remember even less how it worked.

The majority of everything should be salvage brimstone. Give everybody the best stuff right away and nothing will be worth anything. The game would be pointless as a loot game.

N I'll give you the damage type stuff, but that hardly makes a broken game. I hope one day thats fixed though.

Sothpaw

d3 coming to ps3 and 4... makes you put everything in perspective with the game design

Couldn't agree more. I'm done with D3 now. I know exactly why the game is sub par and why the improvements have been incremental at best.

Not that I really care, DOTA has had me hooked ever since I played the first time.

IlludiumQ36

The timing of Jay Wilson's "departure" is suddenly a lot more curious. I could only imagine the ire he would be receiving from the blizz forums right now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Holy Shit. I thought you were joking, but after a bit of reading, I see that you aren't.

And suddenly, so many design choices that Blizzard made with regard to Diablo III make perfect sense.

And that angers me greatly as a PC user who wanted the sequel to Diablo II... :(

Xevren

Part of me is mad, only because I wanted to play Diablo 3 forever and I finally built a PC a few weeks ago and it was the first game I bought. Doesn't matter though, I still love my new PC. Still, wish they had done that earlier!

Man are we even talking about the same game? The loot system in Diablo 3 is broken because its terrible. The majority of legendary items are brimstoned and there's no room for customization on a significant level.

ZnrHwZb.jpg

I had a lot of fun in D3, put in nearly 90 hours so I can't completely shit on it. But the lack of diversity or customization in loot and skills killed my long term interest in the game - plus the lack of an end game.

Dunno why some fans are arguing the PS3/4 announcement is evidence the game was built for consoles, I don't buy that. I'm sure this major deal was reached long ago, perhaps even during game development time. I'm more apt to believe a lot of the game's gear/skill stuff was built with the AH in mind

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

I had a lot of fun in D3, put in nearly 90 hours so I can't completely shit on it. But the lack of diversity or customization in loot and skills killed my long term interest in the game - plus the lack of an end game.

Dunno why some fans are arguing the PS3/4 announcement is evidence the game was built for consoles, I don't buy that. I'm sure this major deal was reached long ago, perhaps even during game development time. I'm more apt to believe a lot of the game's gear/skill stuff was built with the AH in mind

this game is very susceptible to conspiracy theories for some reason.

jkanownik

Holy Shit. I thought you were joking, but after a bit of reading, I see that you aren't.

And suddenly, so many design choices that Blizzard made with regard to Diablo III make perfect sense.

And that angers me greatly as a PC user who wanted the sequel to Diablo II... :(

I don't get the conspiracy theorists at all.

Let me start by saying that Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I played thousands of hours across every character class for years after launch. I am seriously disappointed by Diablo 3 on many levels. It came out much much later than I would have liked and it isn't even in my top 50 games.

It is obvious that the game was not balanced for the auction house. There is no way Blizzard could have possibly done that given the size of the internal test group. Even if it was initially balanced for the AH, there is no way Blizzard had time to rebalance anything with all of the changes that were being made up to launch. It is impossible for this to be true. And we don't even know if it is making any money. It may be a logistical pain in the ass that is more trouble than it is worth. Activision has not commented on the RMAH once since it launched in any of its earnings calls or investor presentations.

Not to mention that there are a shitload of features they are missing if they really wanted to monetize the auction house. Many people would pay them $5 a month purely for the option of selling more than 10 items at a time. Or another fee to have items highlighted or featured in the AH. And the support for the AH has been terrible. It shows no signs of being a revenue generator that they're trying to maximize. They did a far worse job with the RMAH than they did the rest of the game.

Conspiracy theories around console are ridiculous. Sacred 2 was designed for PC and it was great on console. I would put Sacred 2 for Xbox 360 well ahead of Diablo 3 in my top games of all time. Hell, you could release Diablo 2 right now on XBLA for $20 w/ the Sacred 2 control scheme and I would buy it in a second.

The last few years has proven that it is very easy for a team to make mistakes and mess up a beloved franchise or pedigree for great games. Diablo 3 is just another in a long line of titles like Too Human, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations & 3 and more. It is painfully obvious now that it is really hard to consistently make great games, especially as the scope and scale of games have increased.

this game is very susceptible to conspiracy theories for some reason.

There seems to be a lot of focus on pinning the blame on specific stuff; previously it was all Jay Wilson's fault, perhaps Activision too. Now apparently it's...whoever decided to make this a PS4 title in 2010. Yea...

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I'd bet $100 that the barb exited to menus while still buffed by a combination of buff effects, like a shrine or wiz IAS bubble or WD totem. His EF doesn't even have any base CD.

Anyway. In one way, I kind of hope that the console D3 doesn't share with the PC AH, and has an offline mode, but still has the exact same drop rates and affix roll probabilities as the PC version. People can play the game to see how horrible the game would be without an AH, and see how having offline mode wouldn't make a single bit of a difference, yet still propagate lies about how much better it is instead. It would redefine "placebo effect".

Then again, cross play with PC would be dandy too, as that would widen the market base and give more opportunity for flip potential.

inky

Like I said in that other thread, they were very transparent about wanting to make a console version years ago. I thought it was a very well known fact, so the idea that there are people surprised about this is kind of interesting.

Actually, I think many of the initial problems came from the fact that they really didn't. They said they balanced the game around not having it in the first place, and it kind of shows. Early and mid game you loved your trusty weapon that had carried you for 5 levels with only its 50 DPS, until you got into the AH and found 1000 more powerful items for your level at ridiculously low prices that made progressing a non-issue and kinda made you feel bad about what you found. This feeling never stopped during the game, mainly because you are always getting drops around 5 levels below your current one. Unless you got stupidly lucky, the AH whiffed whatever challenge they initially planned.

Similarly, they said they internally hadn't beaten inferno, and that was because the way they set it up (remember that iLVL 63 items only dropped in A3/A4 back then) with its ridiculous difficulty increases biased against melee players meant that people were not progressing naturally, but instead cheesing the game to get them (usually DHs stacking a shitload of MS and IAS) and getting to those acts and farming specific spots and goblins to sell items on the AH. Then, by having those items you absolutely needed but couldn't get by playing normally, the solution was to go to the AH, which wasn't an option they didn't have internally and didn't balance the difficulty against.

I remember one of the Blizzard employees said something like he beat inferno Butcher after many tries with a 350ish DPS weapon. That they thought they had created an appropriate challenge and they didn't realize at the time how the players would respond to that kind of wall with an AH available. IMO, had they actually balanced the game around the AH, they might've made the earlier difficulties even more difficult and maybe considered people wearing always level appropriate gear.

They certainly lacked a lot of foresight of how many items were going to be available to every player in the AH vs the game. I think that, even with the AH in place, they could've done a much better job at minimizing its impact (if that is really what they wanted).

the console version has an offline mode...

superior version confirmed

OK, that is absolutely fucked up =/

I don't know if I care enough at this point to be pissed tbh, but it kind of stings.

Vodh

FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!!! D3 has suddenly become a much worse game than it was yesterday.

No it hasn't. The lack of end game content and the boring itemization are the only major persistent problems, and neither of them makes it any easier to port the game to the consoles. Still love it, still my 2012 GOTY.

Shifty76

http://d3up.com/b/355453

frenzy shrine + bash + battle rage + Wrath + log off = 1000000 DPS

this barb sucks, straight up glass cannon, terrible ehp.

Yeah, if I trigger a frenzy shrine and blinding flash along with my normal buffs My FoT damage is at 1.5m, yet I have nearly triple his EHP.
If I get rid of Serenity & add in WotHF like I'm considering, that'd jump up to 1.8m.

Plus, I don't have near the gear that guys has. Heck, his helm alone is likely worth more than all my gear combined.

RedSwirl

Any chance they could add controller support and couch co-op to the PC version in case someone wants to play it hooked up to a TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom