• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svafnir

I have heard a lot about trash monster farming on MP10 in Arreat Crater 2 lately and decided to try my hand at it.

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itDaoLr4Yy4

I am about 120k DPS in my Spirit Regen gear, I am sure someone with better gear could do a lot better than me!

The best Monster Power for me is 8 or 9, as my DPS is a little low for 10. It's much much quicker on those MP levels. However, this video was recorded in MP10 to show that it is possible with average stats. Even though MP 8 and 9 are much easier I prefer MP10, it's just way too much fun and a really nice change of pace from mindlessly Tempest Rushing Alkaizer Runs.

So someone on the official forums asked about selling UnID items on the Auction house.

I say gatdamn at the highlighted. They are really shifting their stance on the AH completely. Its good to hear, but something must have really rattled them to do such an about face like this.

They're probably trying to reinvigorate the player base. Supposedly people have fled from the game in droves and of the ~12 million copies that sold, only a few hundred thousand are actually active players.

MrDaravon

I have heard a lot about trash monster farming on MP10 in Arreat Crater 2 lately and decided to try my hand at it.

I am about 120k DPS in my Spirit Regen gear, I am sure someone with better gear could do a lot better than me!

The best Monster Power for me is 8 or 9, as my DPS is a little low for 10. It's much much quicker on those MP levels. However, this video was recorded in MP10 to show that it is possible with average stats. Even though MP 8 and 9 are much easier I prefer MP10, it's just way too much fun and a really nice change of pace from mindlessly Tempest Rushing Alkaizer Runs.

That's your video? That's pretty interesting. My first thought is that it was to farm Legendaries, but it looks like that might actually be worthwhile for faster XP? Crazy. Almost wondering if I could pull something similar off with a DH with a few of her skills. Assuming not, I'm tempted to actually buff up my monk and give this a try, I've got a level 60(7) Monk with okay gear (~100 DPS maybe?). Hmmm.

j-wood

I finally found my first set piece last night! It was the chest piece for the IK set. Can I get a price check on this?

FEX34uA.png

kennah

Not as much as you'd like.

Look up the piece on Battle.net do see where you stand on min/max stats. Your random attribute is magic find which has basically been made useless since the monster power system. The other stats are kind of low too. Search search search friend.

j-wood

Not as much as you'd like.

Look up the piece on Battle.net do see where you stand on min/max stats. Your random attribute is magic find which has basically been made useless since the monster power system. The other stats are kind of low too. Search search search friend.

How has mp made me useless? Last I heard mp doesn't effect mf

kennah

I kinda meant paragon levels. But higher mp makes higher magic find too. So that 20 magic find is less than bumping up one mpower leveli

XShagrath

Here's an odd question.. What's the best way to go about the end-game without using the auction house? I have never had the time nor the will to try to game the auction house for stuff, but still enjoy the game quite a bit.

I've got a monk I took through Inferno and he's up to about 35K DPS, but I feel I've pretty much hit a plateau without going the auction house route.

eek5

Here's an odd question.. What's the best way to go about the end-game without using the auction house? I have never had the time nor the will to try to game the auction house for stuff, but still enjoy the game quite a bit.

I've got a monk I took through Inferno and he's up to about 35K DPS, but I feel I've pretty much hit a plateau without going the auction house route.

craft archon dexterity items

17llNNe.png
DPc8NOk.png
lhuQ4cq.png

I made all these in the last 2 days.

Here is the non-AH route: collect all il61+ rares and blues, salvage all the stuff you can't use. grab all tomes and emerald perfect squares as well (you'll need all this stuff for crafting). Eventually you'll find the plans. I believe you can do boss runs as they might have higher chance of dropping plans (not sure you'll have to look it up)

XShagrath

I think I was able to give him most of the archon dex plans awhile ago. Or at least I think it was the dex plans...
Yeah, you gave me a lot of them, and I've crafted some pretty decent stuff. Thanks!

Crafting those things takes money though, as does crafting gems. I always feel I'm teetering on the edge of being broke because I don't sell my items on the auction house.

MrDaravon

I've got to be on at least over 100 crafts of dex bracers/shoulders and haven't really gotten shit. I got a pair of shoulders that was just barely better than what I had for my Monk, and I got a pair of bracers that was just barely better than the ones I was using on my DH. And on both of those they were only just barely better when I was plugging it in to get the actual effective HP/damage on them, on my stats screen they were trade-offs as best.

Not sure if I'm terribly unlucky, or if you guys are just lucky :/

Svafnir

That's your video? That's pretty interesting. My first thought is that it was to farm Legendaries, but it looks like that might actually be worthwhile for faster XP? Crazy. Almost wondering if I could pull something similar off with a DH with a few of her skills. Assuming not, I'm tempted to actually buff up my monk and give this a try, I've got a level 60(7) Monk with okay gear (~100 DPS maybe?). Hmmm.

I get around 140-150m xp an hour.

Xevren

Yeah, you gave me a lot of them, and I've crafted some pretty decent stuff. Thanks!

Crafting those things takes money though, as does crafting gems. I always feel I'm teetering on the edge of being broke because I don't sell my items on the auction house.

Yeah I have no idea how you'll be able to afford to keep crafting stuff if you won't sell on the AH.

XShagrath

Yeah I have no idea how you'll be able to afford to keep crafting stuff if you won't sell on the AH.
Problem is I have no idea what's good or not. I've tried to put up random things on there before, but have no idea how to price things or what's even worth selling.

I'm really hoping the itemization (if it ever happens) helps to make the game less dependent on auction house stuff. I know that they had a good reason to put it in there, and a ton of people like it. However, I think it took a lot away from the "lootwhore" aspect of the game. Keep in mind, I never played Diablo 1 or 2, so I have no idea if this was a necessity or not.

Problem is I have no idea what's good or not. I've tried to put up random things on there before, but have no idea how to price things or what's even worth selling.

I'm really hoping the itemization (if it ever happens) helps to make the game less dependent on auction house stuff. I know that they had a good reason to put it in there, and a ton of people like it. However, I think it took a lot away from the "lootwhore" aspect of the game. Keep in mind, I never played Diablo 1 or 2, so I have no idea if this was a necessity or not.

Yeah, I think you've got it spot on, that's the issue the devs openly talked about in their blog, too.

Coming from D2, all I know is that things became "too convenient" where all the items are pretty much in your grasp in the AH minus the absolute top tier stuff.

I just remember starting out in D2 where I would make "Freez plz" rooms for begging, or hunting free rooms where godly players would toss things they didn't need. I would encounter kind people in games to give me a few free upgrades in rooms; this was my way out of scrub status, and I got increasingly richer with decked out runewards and uniques, later with 4 characters.
t first, things seemed so far and so out of reach, but as I improved my characters, it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in any game.

TL;DR
It is the struggle that made it enjoyable, not chores.

eek5

Well, I'm farming for essences right now and I pick up about 50k gold per run and ~20 il61 rares. That's enough for ~1 craft per short run but he'll probably have to begin juggling vending rares and salvaging them depending on which resource he has a surplus of.

Isn't "tetering on the edge of broke" the point when you're not using the AH though? You've already accepted that it's going to be a grind and there really isn't much else to spend money on.

RivalCore

I'm not actually sure how newcomers are supposed to really start earning big gold now that the AH is kinda dying off, except for top tier gear. I hope Blizzard figure out a way to increase the gold available to players that doesn't come directly from the AH.

Vodh

I'm not actually sure how newcomers are supposed to really start earning big gold now that the AH is kinda dying off, except for top tier gear. I hope Blizzard figure out a way to increase the gold available to players that doesn't come directly from the AH.

The thing is, if they just decrease the AH dependency even further, the new players won't even have to earn big gold. It's already on the right track, as mentioned before you can relatively easily keep on crafting the new recipes juggling between vendoring and salvaging stuff and if that's what you're focusing on, you should be able to keep crafting enough to keep the number of the Demonic Essences you've got close to zero if you're farming MP1.

eek5

The thing is, if they just decrease the AH dependency even further, the new players won't even have to earn big gold. It's already on the right track, as mentioned before you can relatively easily keep on crafting the new recipes juggling between vendoring and salvaging stuff and if that's what you're focusing on, you should be able to keep crafting enough to keep the number of the Demonic Essences you've got close to zero if you're farming MP1.

Next step is to do something about weapons!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

instead of selling weapons/armor, people will be selling the mats.

only the "good" weapons/armor will be on the AH at that point.

also, if the gold "tide" for new players is lowered, that means all the better weapons/armor you find that you can sell on the AH will have to come down in price because no one will have gold to buy it.

its interesting how everything sort of ripples.

xero273

me and my friend recently just finally finished hell mp 10 and thought it was a cakewalk... so we go into inferno with mp10 and boy the difference in power is night and day :(

That's hilarious. lol

Shifty76

PSA for the monks around here:

When solo farming, particularly in areas with high mob density, give MoE backlash a whirl in place of MoC Overawe.

I've been running Crypt of the Ancients & Keeps 2 on MP10 for a while now using my combo strike build with MoC Overawe. Tried MoE backlash the other night on a recommendation from a friend, and for solo play there's no way I'm going back to MoC...Backlash is so much faster!

Only drawback is that it's not as strong vs solo monsters (no more MP10 goblin kills makes me sad), but it just melts mobs.

Couple of quick vids I made demonstrating it:

CotA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1wgxyKtuQE&feature=youtu.be

Keeps 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kG3Gvk2A4c&feature=youtu.be

d3up profile: http://d3up.com/b/13426

J2d

I tried to emulate this but I end up dying all the time. How much life do you have?

Dahbomb

I used to run MoE Backlash a long time ago. Its great against high density low damage mobs but MoC is better for taking on Champ packs. Honestly you need like 10+ enemies hitting you at once to make it a superior pick. Its just overall better to one to two shot mobs with MoC active and move to the next mob.

Also you need really high dodge value as well.

Edit:
Actually for MP10 MoE is way better. I thought we were talking about just straight up farming.

Shifty76

I recommend MoC: submission
you get bonus damage plus AOE damge per sec
the higher your attack speed, the higher damage per sec.

Tried it, but for me backlash is still way faster.

I've since added in cyclone strike with WoW rune in place of WotHF for more dodge % and some burst aoe damage.
That takes me to around 75% dodge, so lots of backlash procs.

RPGCrazied

Looks like I sold something. I got an email, but it lists $0.00 on everything. It was just some materials for crafting, so I doubt its much to worry about. Darn.

jkanownik

Looks like I sold something. I got an email, but it lists $0.00 on everything. It was just some materials for crafting, so I doubt its much to worry about. Darn.

I got an email like that for gold a week or two ago and it didn't actually sell. It seemed like a glitch in the system. I wouldn't be surprised if you log into the game and see the materials sitting in your completed auctions.

The market is really interesting right now. The price of third party gold continues to drop and arbitrage continues to exist. It's funny taking an economics class at the same time as I'm messing around in the AH. The arbitrage should in theory go away, but the threat of a looming update and the 10 auction limit are keeping anyone from making a big play in the market. The only way to easily build scale is selling gold at a lower margin as a third party.

Gold is down under $0.05/M and is an easy buy. I'm turning over 5+ RMAH auctions a day. I'm up over to well over 2B in float between the two auction houses. I've been able to scale from $2-5 items into $10-$50 items with only a slight margin hit. There are some really interesting things that happen in the higher end market. There was some weird activity yesterday with some items that went for 5X their normal prices, but that didn't last very long and things quickly returned to normal.

I keep expecting demand to subside for items, prices to drop and RMAH activity to slow down, but that hasn't happened yet.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Apparently that "0 sold" email happens whenever a real money commodity auction ends. (they have logic that says "send an email when it ends", and forgot to say "but don't bother if nothing was sold")

Ingeniero

Please make a point to message me (Ammostiel#1897) when you see me online.

I tend to have a few friends on at any time, and we easily give you an Uber run at practically any MP.

Sure, thanks man.
I'm on vacation for a week but I will message you when I return.

Vodh

Just buy radiant star emeralds and flip them on GAH. Works in EU, brings the price of gold to about 0.07 euro/mil.

ElyrionX

Haven't played in a while.

What are the popular wiz builds these days? Last I played was before they buffed Legendary drops rates and CM-based permastun builds were what all wizards were running with. Has anything changed?

Edit: oh and I still have $233 in my RMAH account. How much DPS will that buy me if I have to gear a wizard from scratch?

eek5

Haven't played in a while.

What are the popular wiz builds these days? Last I played was before they buffed Legendary drops rates and CM-based permastun builds were what all wizards were running with. Has anything changed?

Edit: oh and I still have $233 in my RMAH account. How much DPS will that buy me if I have to gear a wizard from scratch?

That's 2 billion gold if you convert gems to gold from RMAH/GAH. I'm assuming you can get 150-200k dps with that much

Firemind

That's 2 billion gold if you convert gems to gold from RMAH/GAH. I'm assuming you can get 150-200k dps with that much

I have 200k dps unbuffed and 300k buffed and my gear is garbage with today's market prices. Wizards can go to 500+k dps and with that amount of gold you can get crazy high dps. Archon build is usually used for low MP and CM build is used for high MP.

eek5

I have 200k dps unbuffed and 300k buffed and my gear is garbage with today's market prices. Wizards can go to 500+k dps and with that amount of gold you can get crazy high dps. Archon build is usually used for low MP and CM build is used for high MP.
I don't know how it is for wiz but after a certain point it costs like 500mil to 2+ billion for each slot so I doubt he could get 500k unbuff for 2bil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom