• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

You have a million characters, I don't know what you're ever up to!

I'm guessing it's probably amazing with Wizard freeze builds, but if you're playing with any other class it winds up being kind of annoying? At at first glance this strikes me of more of a solo thing.

I actually like it better in groups (at least it is way easier). It'd probably work really well with a CM wiz + cyclone monk since everything is concentrated and you'd be able to stay max disc the entire time.

The biggest thing that is annoying with this build is fighting enemies that run away since the grenades are directional. If CM wiz and monk concentrate stuff into an area you can just stand behind them and turret bubble them for extra eHP then keep dropping mines and sustained DPS.

It's too fucking bad that caltrops don't do any type of group buff..

The main problem with DH is the effective DPS isn't great. I'm not sure what I'm putting out but I have 220k sheet dps with my DH now and I'm not convinced that I'm doing more damage than a 130-140k dps monk or something.

Also, nothing really annoying about the build. Bubble turrets help everyone and can kill trash that you leave behind. Grenades don't have knockback so it isn't interfering with anyone's stuff.

MrDaravon

I actually like it better in groups (at least it is way easier). It'd probably work really well with a CM wiz + cyclone monk since everything is concentrated and you'd be able to stay max disc the entire time.

The biggest thing that is annoying with this build is fighting enemies that run away since the grenades are directional. If CM wiz and monk concentrate stuff into an area you can just stand behind them and turret bubble them for extra eHP then keep dropping mines and sustained DPS.

It's too fucking bad that caltrops don't do any type of group buff..

Hmm. Also I did see someone saying something about the Caltrops rune that gives you +crit chance (I think?) supposedly works for allies as well, but I don't know if that's actually accurate or not.

eek5

Yeah, I had a feeling that wasn't accurate as that seems like something that'd be more in widespread use if true. I guess Caltrops slowing enemies helps everyone out though?

Yeah, I guess. Most of the stuff you'd want to slow down just blaze through them though lol. There would be REALLY good monk/wiz synergy if there was a team buff on them. Drop caltrops, monk cyclones then wiz freeze. Drop turret w/ bubble to give everyone extra eHP.

makes.. too.. much.. sense!! lol

edit: you can try stun grenades too. proc rate seems crazy low though

Insaniac

ok so I went to mp 0 and yea it feels like i am getting more exp per run since i don't spend so long fighting elites. So what path should i take? right now I am doing keeps 2, rakkis cross and the field, then arreat core?

WP to stonefort, run back through battlements, 90% of the time you get 5 NV stacks. Then I hit the depths2/3 tp to tower of damned 1, make the circle, circle the bridge of korsik(fields) and then core to azmodan

neoism

OMG they shut-down the PTR and forum @_@ du patch my be tomorrow... still wont get may hopes up they usually announce it the day before with is today, oh man that would be awesome, expecting a lot of bugs :p

I take that back there are still legendaries and set pieces but they are all spirit shit stones. Just got two set stones of shit. Oh and theres Sloraks Shittywands. I see the game still hasnt fixed drops to make anything remotely useful. Great job.

M.D

So, I'm still playing this game every once in a while when I'm bored and follow this thread for patch updates

I've seen all the crafting stuff going on, but haven't really followed up on the new crafting materials and stuff

I just bought the plan for Amulet of Strength and made about 15 which were all crap, except for this last one

amuletofsliyzi.jpg

I was happy, until I noticed it says "Account Bound" :(

MrDaravon

Also, nothing really annoying about the build. Bubble turrets help everyone and can kill trash that you leave behind. Grenades don't have knockback so it isn't interfering with anyone's stuff.

Oh, I just meant annoying in the sense that it doesn't fit my usual playstyle, and picking off ranged/teleport enemies is super annoying. This build is interesting to me though because it really only requires me to swap out my Manticore for a Calamity, so there's not a huge investment there (I can start getting SoJ's and other stuff if you want to get crazy with it though). I just took a look at your DH, all I would have to further do is swap out Companion and Preparation for Turrets and Caltrops. I'll have to give that a go tonight, swapping out the Companion is kind of a non-issue since you generate Hatred so fast with this build, but I did use Preparation here and there, but that could just be me getting used to the build. I wouldn't need to run the +10% crit chance rune for Caltrops like you do, with this build by just switching out to the Calamity I already have a completely hilarious 68% crit chance (71% w/Scoundrel) so I'd probably roll the damage one I guess. Hmm.

eek5

Oh, I just meant annoying in the sense that it doesn't fit my usual playstyle, and picking off ranged/teleport enemies is super annoying. This build is interesting to me though because it really only requires me to swap out my Manticore for a Calamity, so there's not a huge investment there (I can start getting SoJ's and other stuff if you want to get crazy with it though). I just took a look at your DH, all I would have to further do is swap out Companion and Preparation for Turrets and Caltrops. I'll have to give that a go tonight, swapping out the Companion is kind of a non-issue since you generate Hatred so fast with this build, but I did use Preparation here and there, but that could just be me getting used to the build. I wouldn't need to run the +10% crit chance rune for Caltrops like you do, with this build by just switching out to the Calamity I already have a completely hilarious 68% crit chance (71% w/Scoundrel) so I'd probably roll the damage one I guess. Hmm.

Caltrops is really the optional one skill. You probably don't need turret either TBH (or you can use the rocket rune for more additional DPS). I only buff to like 360k eHP w/ turret and you're well over that already.

I'm able to generate hatred fine w/ my base CC so caltrops just ends up being another hatred dump so I'm not maxing it out all the time for no reason.

The problem is 270% weapon damage over 6 seconds is nothing.. The slowing amount might help against trash and annoying mobs that run (as long as they aren't the yellow elites) but outside of that it'll be pretty useless. 2s immobilize isn't very long but could be helpful, maybe. I haven't played around with it much.

Another option is to run marked for death instead of Caltrops since you can do some group damage buffs that will stack w/ monk buffs for some better synergy.

Cipherr

So, I'm still playing this game every once in a while when I'm bored and follow this thread for patch updates

I've seen all the crafting stuff going on, but haven't really followed up on the new crafting materials and stuff

I just bought the plan for Amulet of Strength and made about 15 which were all crap, except for this last one

amuletofsliyzi.jpg

I was happy, until I noticed it says "Account Bound" :(

My god... I made over 100 of those dex necklaces about a week ago. Nothing.

Stripes55

Neo Member
OMG they shut-down the PTR and forum @_@ du patch my be tomorrow... still wont get may hopes up they usually announce it the day before with is today, oh man that would be awesome, expecting a lot of bugs :p

So since I haven't seen any further comments, I'm guessing the patch isn't being released today?

jkanownik

for reference, before patch it was like 75 cents for 16mil via gems so we will see if it goes lower than that

3rd party gold was as low as $0.032/M last night. Gems are depressed in gold value right now because so many people were using them as a currency transfer. A move to a 10M minimum for gold (i.e. $0.025/M) should kill the gem currency transfer market. Prices for gems will likely go up 10-20% pretty quickly as that market corrects itself.

MrDaravon

At work, what is 10 mil gold go for now on the RMAH? I've never bought anything on there, but I have considered buying like 50-100 mil just to gear a new class before.

Caltrops is really the optional one skill. You probably don't need turret either TBH (or you can use the rocket rune for more additional DPS). I only buff to like 360k eHP w/ turret and you're well over that already.

I'm able to generate hatred fine w/ my base CC so caltrops just ends up being another hatred dump so I'm not maxing it out all the time for no reason.

The problem is 270% weapon damage over 6 seconds is nothing.. The slowing amount might help against trash and annoying mobs that run (as long as they aren't the yellow elites) but outside of that it'll be pretty useless. 2s immobilize isn't very long but could be helpful, maybe. I haven't played around with it much.

Another option is to run marked for death instead of Caltrops since you can do some group damage buffs that will stack w/ monk buffs for some better synergy.

Yeah, I'll have to mess around a bit. With that build I don't really need the Companion Hatred, so even with keeping Prep I could still toss in Caltrops, Turret/rockets or Marked for Death. I'm not sure I want to manage Caltrops and traps at once honestly, but I could see just tossing turrets down, especially if they'll help get stragglers. Can't wait to get home tonight to try, the density changes probably makes the build more viable in general as well.

After checking out the Demon Hunter subreddit, I decided to try this Grenade setup that apparently most DH's are using for high MP runs. I'm already kind of annoyed at having to use traps at high MP levels (not my playstyle), but figured I'd check this out; the upside to the setup is that gear-wise it's more or less identical to my current typical Manticore setup except you have to use a Calamity for it.

All I did was buy a 2 million Calamity off the AH and stuck a Flawless Star Ruby I had lying around in it, and swapped out Hungering Arrow/Bola Shot (was messing around with that) for Grenades. Holy fuck it is HILARIOUS, I am blown away. With this so-so Calamity my DPS is about 180k with about 480k eHP, but I went straight into MP10 Act 3 and just facerolled it. The suicide bomber guys in the Keeps are a serious issue (and the only thing that actually killed me), and I have to agree with the sentiment out there that any sort of ranged/teleport enemies are incredibly annoying with the build and in some cases are worth skipping, but other than that it was a joke. Did an typical Act 3 run with it, and outside of some Elites being really annoying (and in hindsight probably should be skipped) this is a total gamechanger. Goddamn. And I'm only running the super basic setup, I'm not even incorporating Caltrops or Turrets into it like most people are at high levels. I'm going to have to investigate this more tomorrow, but this may completely turn me around on my DH. I feel like I need to sit down.
Do you have a link to the build/thread? I'd like to try some new stuff with my DH now that the new patch is out.

XShagrath

I've been sitting around waiting for the servers to go back up too. Such a tease to give us the patch like 2 hours ago, and then not have the servers up for it.

Dahbomb

I might jump into Diablo 3 tonight!

Most of my gear and specs will be outdated but whatever, I am going to do a full Inferno run going from Act 1 to Act 4 today.

Fularu

Banned
Sounds fun, maybe I'll join you for a bit
Ditto, depends on the MP level though, I usually farm at MP7 (even if that means super slow paragon leveling (just 48 here)

Edit : I'm also at the point where I have 0 idea on how to get good upgrades. My main issue beeing gold, I just don't have any (sitting on 10 million at the moment and upgrades are all in the hundreds range)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So awesome that that bug made it live. It's going to make for some good screenshots. It's harmless, I think it goes away once you're in game.

Kuntz

I chose a great time to come back...

Downloading right now, and vacation starts today.

Here I go my wizard, let's get to 60 with lightniiiinnnnnnnggggggggg.

edit :WAIT A MINUTE it's tusday, I'm in Europe, so no patch.

I'm stupid

I'm using Archonthewizard's act 1 mp1 farming route.. On my para lvl 55 wd so far I got a legendary bow and set piece chest on my first run while making great exp.. Such a nice break from A3. <3 id all

Insaniac

Did about 1/3 of A1 and got 1 full paragon level and 3 legendaries, a Whon Kim Lau (trash) Manajuma's Carving knife (rolled a socket woot) and a Sunkeeper (meh)

The monster density is fantastic and the Archon buff is super!

Vicros

Act 1 is sooo much better now. The mob density is fantastic. Even at paragon 88 I'm soaking up exp like a sponge. At MP8 I get 747% bonus exp and that's without my hellfire or Leoric's. I start by clearing the three crypts to get my five stack, then clear weeping hollow and the forest.

Most importantly though, I don't have to look at act 3 anymore.

Cipherr

Act 1 is sooo much better now. The mob density is fantastic. Even at paragon 88 I'm soaking up exp like a sponge. At MP8 I get 747% bonus exp and that's without my hellfire or Leoric's. I start by clearing the three crypts to get my five stack, then clear weeping hollow and the forest.

Most importantly though, I don't have to look at act 3 anymore.

Oh god.... I have work to do today, Im so glad its slow so far this year. Been slacking off.

Cipherr

They really increased paragon leveling speed, 54-55 took no time at all...

Thank god for that. Sounds like its much more friendly to leveling alts now. They need to get that itemization patch live and some infinite dungeon stuff and they will be cooking with grease man.

neoism

holy shit Act 1 is FULL of enemies :O....actually having fun... found a green and a leg 10 minutes in :p

Also not many friends on anyone else wanta be my friend... neoism#1506 should be fun to do some MP6+ games or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom