• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrmint

Try playing with them and see if you die too much.

As a general rule, I like to keep around 38-42K on MP 1-6 and MP 7-10 I like closer to 50K. Which is basically a swap of Ruby to Amethyst in the helm and maybe a piece or two with more defensive stats. Depends on your LS and LoH and Armor/AR too tho.
Cool thanks that's helpful.

I have 7.8 LS and about 1100 life per second too, so I'm probably safe.

MrDaravon

Here's a guide to start:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6893431637

Bash tops up fury as needed. This guide's not really state of the art, will see if I can find better.

You can stutter step (animation cancel) HOTA and rend by holding force move. A bit broken there.

I appreciate the thought, will probably be a bit before I actually make the Barb though; want to get my Monk to 50 and build up some cash (maybe like 50-100 mil?) to at least decently gear the Barb once I hit 60 since that will take no time at all.

Talents

Banned
If only this had attack speed. God dammit.
goddyammit.png

eek5

Mind giving the full build?

Main attack: HoTA w/ Smash
Battlerage/ Into the Fray
WotB/Thrive on Chaos

WW/Huricane
Overpower/Killing Spree
Sprint/RLTW (or group buff if you're playing in group)

Passives: Weapon Master + Ruthless and whatever you want (Brawler is good since it increases your DPS for big packs and lets you whittle down to 1-2 targets which you can finish off with HoTA quickly)

General gameplay: Just like WW except once I get to 1-2 targets I'll switch to HoTA. Startup is basically using hota button to autoattack while spamming BR key so that it casts BR right when I have enough fury. From there you need to crit until you can activate sprint and go into WW (the second step should be very fast). OP can proc BR/ITF fury generation too so make sure you spam that whenever you can. You should have like 70-80% crit in WotB or something insane like that so you'll be critting almost every hit of HoTA.

If you want to be able to infinitely HoTA on EVERY strike, you more or less want 5 HoTA reduction gear to get the cost to 15 (so that you're generating 15 per crit then using 15 per HoTA + whatever fury you generate from OP) but it isn't really necessary. If you're having problems generating fury w/ HoTA then increase your attack speed or CC usually.

edit: Just read the link Rat posted. For that just switch out HoTA rune to thunderstrike (stun) and run rend instead of WW. Probably a bit more group friendly.

Vodh

IIRC the original quote is talking about WoTB and Archon specifically and how it wasn't really intended to give those respective classes infinite buffs. The timing of the quote was right before 1.0.8 which was weird because that's the patch where they buffed archon in groups so who knows what they're even thinking/planning. My guess is nothing will come of this.

I've listened to the diablo birthday interview with Wyatt Cheng and Travis Day on Archon's stream last night and at least for Travis Day it still is a problem that needs to be addressed one way or another. And AFAIR he did include CM as one of the gamebreaking builds that are forcing the class into one of the two tunnels.

elfinke

So I had completely forgotten about this game, and this thread, after about OT1 last year. Got a WD to 55, a Barb to 23 and a Wiz to 8 before moving onto other games. I would patch the launcher every once in awhile, but I hadn't played since probably June or July last year. Things like D3Up's very clever build calculator either didn't exist or were in their formative stage and I had never come across them (or had use for them particularly).

D3 was recently on sale for $24 here in Australia, so I bought a copy for my bro and we started playing coop last week (also something I had never done)...

And I'm hooked all over again. Man, a lot of the changes that have come since I last played (I spent awhile catching up on this thread, wondering what the hell MPx was!) are really great. I spent an absurd amount of time on Friday playing around on D3Up instead of actually working.

So incidentally with it being the anniversary week, I've now levelled the WD to 60 with a few paragon levels on top of that (have been experimenting with the different MP level, found MP6 to be a good mix), the Barb into the high 40s (keeping it in sync with my bro's toon) and the Wiz is in the 30s as well. Also found a bunch of legendaries (only one real money spinner though: a Mind's Eye I hocked for a mil and a little bit. Sold quickly so probably undervalued it but whatever) none of which had ever dropped for me to this point.

Good times.

neoism

wow, this is weird

I just crafted some new gloves which added 30% crit damage which brought me up to 629%
I usually play MP7 cause it feels like the most efficient time wise, but now I feel like a freaking killing machine just murdering mobs at a crazy rate

I never thought adding just 30% could make such a difference

47.50CC (50 with battle rage)
629CD
2.05AS

I don't think HoTA is good for WW builds? I do wonder if I should try to change my build.. I really love WW tho
goddamn man link yo profile please

M.D

WotB/Thrive on Chaos

WW/Huricane
Overpower/Killing Spree

Passives: Weapon Master + Ruthless and whatever you want (Brawler is good since it increases your DPS for big packs and lets you whittle down to 1-2 targets which you can finish off with HoTA quickly)

General gameplay: Just like WW except once I get to 1-2 targets I'll switch to HoTA. Startup is basically using hota button to autoattack while spamming BR key so that it casts BR right when I have enough fury. From there you need to crit until you can activate sprint and go into WW (the second step should be very fast). OP can proc BR/ITF fury generation too so make sure you spam that whenever you can. You should have like 70-80% crit in WotB or something insane like that so you'll be critting almost every hit of HoTA.

If you want to be able to infinitely HoTA on EVERY strike, you more or less want 5 HoTA reduction gear to get the cost to 15 (so that you're generating 15 per crit then using 15 per HoTA + whatever fury you generate from OP) but it isn't really necessary. If you're having problems generating fury w/ HoTA then increase your attack speed or CC usually.

edit: Just read the link Rat posted. For that just switch out HoTA rune to thunderstrike (stun) and run rend instead of WW. Probably a bit more group friendly.

Thanks a lot. Would really like to try ou this build when I get home.
Using overpower means I have to give up war cry so I hope it won't cause any probelms. I did get 66AR from my new gloves yesterday, I think I'm over 600 on the res without it.

goddamn man link yo profile please
Sure

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Moti-2377/hero/19598777

Nothing too crazy. I guess my chest, belt and amulet are nice but otherwise its pretty mediocre

Edit: AGH NVM

I've just bought Diablo III, I've been wanting to play it for a while and now I have a capable machine I've decided it's the right time. I expect that it'll be a steep learning curve.

Revoh

The game is 35$ at Amazon atm. After playing for over 700 hours since day 1, and a few hundreds more hours in the Beta, I've bought it again (I'm currently banned), look like this time I'm rolling a female Monk.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The game is 35$ at Amazon atm. After playing for over 700 hours since day 1, and a few hundreds more hours in the Beta, I've bought it again (I'm currently banned), look like this time I'm rolling a female Monk.

Are you on EU or Americas? Can help out with levelling for Americas

Jrmint

Does anyone have a decent 2h level reduced weapon I could use for leveling my Monk from 44 - 60?

The price for these on the AH have skyrocketed.

MrDaravon

3 questions:

-For my Monk, I have no idea what my next upgrade should be. Sitting unbuffed at 126k dps and 516 ehp, and I can solo MP5 fairly easily. Would like to hit 150k dps unbuffed before switching characters, but I don't seem to have any easy upgrade paths. Have 30-40 mil, I can't really get a better weapon for either slot, or anything I could get would be all of that money for maybe a 1k dps increase. Alternatively I have a ton of slots where I could get eHP upgrades at the cost of a bit of dps, but that's not what I'm looking for. Also having zero goddamn luck with crafting for this character, I'm at over 100 bracer and glove crafts and can't get better than what I have, which is pretty sad considering I don't have any AR or LR on my gloves -_-.

-Has anyone done the math to see at what MP level or stat level Backlash becomes more efficient than Conviction? I'm running Backlash and I can't really tell if it's better or not then Conviction, but I think that's at least partially due to the MP level I'm playing on? I couldn't really find anything on this, Shifty seems to be the main push on the internet for using Backlash haha.

-How much does it cost to gear a MP3-5 capable Barb? Wouldn't be my main, but would like to get one to 60 and gear him well enough to be able to solo at least MP3 with no problems.

Does anyone have a decent 2h level reduced weapon I could use for leveling my Monk from 44 - 60?

The price for these on the AH have skyrocketed.

I don't have one, but how long does it actually take to 60 now? I wouldn't think it would take long enough for reduced gear to matter all that much?

kennah

Reduced level gear is worth it as soon as you get it. Will carry you through to Inferno usually. Also you just destroy the shit out of everything and can go mp10

I've never found anything that has sold for more than 10 million. The only reason I have any money is because I sell a lot of things for ~500k.

Play for three hours before work. At the end of the three hours get my first legendary...

Spirit Stone.

EVERY FRIGGEN TIME! Why the hell do Spirit Stones drop so much NOBODY wants them!

M.D

WotB/Thrive on Chaos

WW/Huricane
Overpower/Killing Spree

Quoting this for the second time

I tried this build today, and for some reason could not get it to work at all.
I did exactly as you said, started with HOTA and used BR as soon as possible, but the problem was I couldn't generate fury. I used Overpower every time I could, but it didn't help.

I'll try it again later, maybe I was doing something wrong

Did someone notice since doing Act 1 runs getting the same legendaries over and over? I got a couple of gloves for example since last week when I started this Act 1 runs.
Also got 3 braces with all of them dropping in the fields.

I obviously got other legendaries, but it seems maybe some acts have some specific drops more often

Opiate

Need Wizard education:

When is a storm crow good? I know they can be good. I just don't know precisely what stat wizards are looking for on it.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Need Wizard education:

When is a storm crow good? I know they can be good. I just don't know precisely what stat wizards are looking for on it.

Pretty much crit chance or brimstone, preferably 5% or higher.

You can't have a socket and crit chance. APOC, lightning DMG, and LOH are default.

Raticus79

Yup, they just boil down to crit chance. 8% damage is preferred too. I got the 5.5 one on my profile for 2 bucks.

That one was a good deal, had the higher end of life on hit. I think they're actually better than a mempo due to the APOC giving faster acceleration on windup

MrDaravon

I just sold that 1h sword I was using before that had no LS on it for 30 mil. I just checked and I bought it for 8 mil (which was fair market price at the time) 3 weeks ago. Good times.

Devined

What routes are people using for farming?

On my monk with 270k dps I run Act 2 MP7 Sewers-Black Canyon Mines-Desolate Sands-VOTA-Oasis.

And on my 200k dps Barb I was running act 1 mp9 Festering-Fields-Weeping Hollow, but I just started trying a similar route in A2 as my monks.

MrDaravon

Does anyone here run Permastrafe? I've been messing around with a bit, but it doesn't feel faster than just running normal low MP. I've got 198k dps with a SoJ running it on MP1, and I dunno. With the SoJ and Rocket rune on Strafe I do pretty good damage, and only in certain situations/elites do I need to actually stop to get Bola Shots off (mostly on certain Elite types/affixes), but it just doesn't feel terribly efficient. I need to run it some more, but I've done a couple of runs in Act 1 and Act 2 on MP1 with it and I'm not quite seeing it.

On my monk with 270k dps I run Act 2 MP7 Sewers-Black Canyon Mines-Desolate Sands-VOTA-Oasis.

And on my 200k dps Barb I was running act 1 mp9 Festering-Fields-Weeping Hollow, but I just started trying a similar route in A2 as my monks.

In act 1 I like festering > leoric's manor > fields of misery > weeping hollow

leoric's guarantee's you at least one stack of valor sometimes two. that way I'm at 5 when I hit the fields of misery.

act 3 is probably still a great farming loop but i did so much of it pre-1.08 that i just don't have the stomach to do it right now.

eek5

Does anyone here run Permastrafe? I've been messing around with a bit, but it doesn't feel faster than just running normal low MP. I've got 198k dps with a SoJ running it on MP1, and I dunno. With the SoJ and Rocket rune on Strafe I do pretty good damage, and only in certain situations/elites do I need to actually stop to get Bola Shots off (mostly on certain Elite types/affixes), but it just doesn't feel terribly efficient. I need to run it some more, but I've done a couple of runs in Act 1 and Act 2 on MP1 with it and I'm not quite seeing it.

From videos I've seen you need to have enough DPS to just one shot everything so you're basically just moving through the map with strafe non stop or something.

Shifty76

3 questions:

Try combo strike/WotHF:BF in place of CoR/BoH - massive dps boost there for free!

Inna's Radiance with 10+ FoT or SW dmg would be a big offsheet dps boost. Try to get lightning resist too so you don't lose too much for resists.

Amulet: Go for crit dmg over IAS as it can roll potential 100 yet you have zero. I just picked up my new amulet for 16m so shop around & see what you can find (it'd be an 8.4k dps boost for you)

Tal's chest would be a big dps upgrade for you too - get 200+ vit and as much lightning resist as you can find.

I'm officially switched from fire to lightning so feel free to take a look at where I get my dps from: http://d3up.com/b/618190/shyla-backlash-lightning

EHP is a little low as my new gloves/amulet/pants all came with a loss in vit compared to my previous ones.

MrDaravon

Try combo strike/WotHF:BF in place of CoR/BoH - massive dps boost there for free!

Inna's Radiance with 10+ FoT or SW dmg would be a big offsheet dps boost. Try to get lightning resist too so you don't lose too much for resists.

Amulet: Go for crit dmg over IAS as it can roll potential 100 yet you have zero. I just picked up my new amulet for 16m so shop around & see what you can find (it'd be an 8.4k dps boost for you)

Tal's chest would be a big dps upgrade for you too - get 200+ vit and as much lightning resist as you can find.

I'm officially switched from fire to lightning so feel free to take a look at where I get my dps from: http://d3up.com/b/618190/shyla-backlash-lightning

EHP is a little low as my new gloves/amulet/pants all came with a loss in vit compared to my previous ones.

Yeah, the plan is to eventually pick up WotHF/Combination Strike, I just want to get my sheet dps higher for arbitrary reasons before taking that up to the next level with those essentially. Also I'm having a lot of fun just running around on MP4/5 like a jackass doing Cyclone Strike lol.

I'll have to see what I can do with a Tal Rasha chest; picking up one in the same ballpark as you would net me around 4k dps, but at the cost of around 35-40k ehp which starts to become a questionable trade at that point but I'll see what I can find. I figure the chest is one of the last things I'll upgrade since it is kind of ridiculous for a rare chest, especially with the pickup radius on it. The amulet's a good call, the one I have now was an accidental upgrade via crafting anyway. And I'm still really annoyed that I can't get a decent crafted pair of gloves that have even one of my resist, much less both. Would be a huge ehp boost (probably not dps-wise though unless I get really lucky) which would make it easier to make some of the dps/ehp tradeoffs in other slots.

A socket and 4.5% crit or 9-10 APOC. High Lightning % and closer to 100 on the stats make it even better

Storm crow has APOC build in

also it has only one atribute to roll so you get socket or crit chance

When i was doing budget build i bought 80 AR for dirt cheap which was great start for my archon wizard.

Vodh

When i was doing budget build i bought 80 AR for dirt cheap which was great start for my archon wizard.

Yep. Pretty much socket + near perfect stats or crit + good stats mean some money for the storm crow, anything else is dirt cheap usually.

Has anyone done the math to see at what MP level or stat level Backlash becomes more efficient than Conviction? I'm running Backlash and I can't really tell if it's better or not then Conviction, but I think that's at least partially due to the MP level I'm playing on? I couldn't really find anything on this, Shifty seems to be the main push on the internet for using Backlash haha.

Backlash build works great, but shines in massive packs. The more things surrounding you and missing, the more the backlash procs and the more sustain you get / damange you're dealing. When running MoC, there was a limit to the size of groups I would want to pull. This hasn't been the case with backlash for me. Right now the limiting factor in how many enimies I pull seems to be the game breaking lag that results from too much shit going on at once. That and I dont like pulling three elite / champ packs.

IMO it's a double gain for me in MP10. It helps provide the sustain I need with dual LS weapons AND, it's doing good damage around me. IMO the backlash build really really shines with the addition of (You've got to be sick of me lol) Exploding Palm.

I used to be able to do MP10 in groups and not very well solo. I just didn't have the sustain to keep me alive well enough. EP was doing good DMG, but I would die too often. The swap to backlash changed that. However, only when combined with EP does the build really shine for a huge reason. That boom.

If you can pull 15-30 + mobs and lay out a 2-3 EP's, you can really take out mobs fast. Sweeping wind / tornadoes / backlash bursts and your standard attack drain life around you and then one boom starts a chain reaction. Whole groups crumble and go flying in all directions. It's really quite entertaining.

I haven't done the math, but IMO, the build makes less sense when you reach a point that you just melt stuff. It also makes zero sense when playing with a CM wiz. If you're playing solo, in a group that doesn't have a wiz, can't melt stuff in 1-2hits and/or need a little sustain, it's been the most effective build I've played so far.

VALKYRAY

Banned

I have similar characters to yours. And I only do mp10

Monk: act2 area where kw is. Just a simple key farming run. Act1 forest, then tp to field. After area cleared I take route south to sweeping.
Barb: same as monks act 1 route.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm having horrible latency issues lately (EU). I don't get disconnected or anything but I get generally bad ping with frequent lag spikes, to the point of not being able to load the rest of a zone for a few seconds sometimes!

It seems I'm not the only one in this case, but I badly need to fix that problem. It's gotten so bad that I just had to play a multiplayer game to beat MP10 Hell Leoric with my way overpowered monk (1k dps fist with reduced level requirement), otherwise he would just kill me cause I don't know what I'm doing because of those latency issues.

Anyone got any ideas?

Yea I used the wrong words I meant either socket or crit chance are both keepers/sell items. I know my 4.5% crit chance storm crow was bought out for 5m recently so it might have been worth even more...?

Dahbomb

Man I can't believe Monks are getting on the Backlash bandwagon... I used to run Backlash way back when Inferno was "difficult" and used to play in Act 3 with self found gear. Its too bad I had a hiatus from the game and now I am behind everyone in everything.

Good news is that within a few days I raised my DPS around 10K, got up 5 paragon levels and upgraded my Inna Radiance through the IRON PRICE.

Raticus79

Backlash build works great, but shines in massive packs. The more things surrounding you and missing, the more the backlash procs and the more sustain you get / damange you're dealing. When running MoC, there was a limit to the size of groups I would want to pull. This hasn't been the case with backlash for me. Right now the limiting factor in how many enimies I pull seems to be the game breaking lag that results from too much shit going on at once. That and I dont like pulling three elite / champ packs.

IMO it's a double gain for me in MP10. It helps provide the sustain I need with dual LS weapons AND, it's doing good damage around me. IMO the backlash build really really shines with the addition of (You've got to be sick of me lol) Exploding Palm.

I used to be able to do MP10 in groups and not very well solo. I just didn't have the sustain to keep me alive well enough. EP was doing good DMG, but I would die too often. The swap to backlash changed that. However, only when combined with EP does the build really shine for a huge reason. That boom.

If you can pull 15-30 + mobs and lay out a 2-3 EP's, you can really take out mobs fast. Sweeping wind / tornadoes / backlash bursts and your standard attack drain life around you and then one boom starts a chain reaction. Whole groups crumble and go flying in all directions. It's really quite entertaining.

I haven't done the math, but IMO, the build makes less sense when you reach a point that you just melt stuff. It also makes zero sense when playing with a CM wiz. If you're playing solo, in a group that doesn't have a wiz, can't melt stuff in 1-2hits and/or need a little sustain, it's been the most effective build I've played so far.

Backlash is probably the reason we can't dodge ground effects!

Man I can't believe Monks are getting on the Backlash bandwagon... I used to run Backlash way back when Inferno was "difficult" and used to play in Act 3 with self found gear. Its too bad I had a hiatus from the game and now I am behind everyone in everything.

Good news is that within a few days I raised my DPS around 10K, got up 5 paragon levels and upgraded my Inna Radiance through the IRON PRICE.

I haven't seen you on I don't think. Jump in my game next time you're on. Were you still playing when Monster Power was implimented? Prior to that everyone was running MoC because we were face rolling act III. The addition of MP really has opened the game up for players.

Low Lever Farming Builds / High Lever Farming Builds / Uber Builds etc etc. Prior to MP it was just smash as fast as you can. lol

People criticise the game for a lack of a skill tree, but I love being able to swap builds and play with things. /shrug.

Backlash is probably the reason we can't dodge ground effects!

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I used to bitch about not dodging ground effects. When paired with backlash and dual LS weapons though, it feels just right ... if not even a little OP.

Dahbomb

I was playing last when MP first came out but back then it was pointless to farm higher MP levels. Everyone just farmed act 3 MP0. Now things have changed. I have 90K unbuffed DPS, only 2 million in the bank, P36, around 700+ all res. I can do MP4/MP5 but it takes awhile beyond that its just not worth the effort for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom