• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrmint

So I'm about to hit 60 with my Monk and really looking forward to jumping into Inferno.

What are the best builds nowadays? Also does it make sense to build around OWE still, or is it most likely going to get nerfed?

eek5

I'm at level 11 lmao, took a long break from this game, shoulda been higher but oh well, is it better to run acts by yourself or with a group for loot? I feel like I'd enjoy group play a lot more.

as a DH you should be trying to leech off groups as much as possible lol

So I'm about to hit 60 with my Monk and really looking forward to jumping into Inferno.

What are the best builds nowadays? Also does it make sense to build around OWE still, or is it most likely going to get nerfed?

It might get "nerfed" in the future. No one knows all the specifics though. Building and future-proofing yourself is kind of pointless though. OWE is, by far, cheaper to gear up for than getting all AR gear so I'd go that route. The best build is still cookie cutter DW for the most part.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/wiki/monkgearing

Dahbomb

Why are Zunimassa's Journey recommended as the top most boots for Monk?

Edit: NVM they are legacy Zunimassa's. Yeah those used to give attack speed. I don't recommend trying to look for them, better to have Nat boots or Ice Climbers.

Cipherr

I want to dump nats so bad on my monk. That 7 fucking crit is such a big weight around my neck. Makes me sick that the bonus is so huge that I cannot really see a way to let go of it without costing me more money than I have or losing lots of damage. I feel the same way about 24% run speed. You can't get it without locking yourself into at least one legendary or set item. It appears as 12% on boots, but natively on ZERO other items unless its a legendary or set. Fucking annoying.

does D3 have cursed loot tables? because I think I might be cursed.

hUd7kgb.jpg
EOQPv51.jpg

those dropped within like 2 minutes of each other and they're the only legendaries i've gotten tonight. =\

eek5

Why are Zunimassa's Journey recommended as the top most boots for Monk?

Edit: NVM they are legacy Zunimassa's. Yeah those used to give attack speed. I don't recommend trying to look for them, better to have Nat boots or Ice Climbers.

For pure DPS, 200 dex Zunimassa's w/ 8% poison can boost the shit out of a DW or 2H set-up using black weapon damage. A TR monk would be dropping Nat's set because of the ASI ring so they could grab Zunis for extra DPS.

I think more people should look at Ice Climbers with MS. I snagged up a Dex and Int pair with 12% and its got just as much stats as a normal pair of boots yet it has 10% life and another random stat and a socket.

Then Innas Temp or Lacunis for the second piece. But it makes the trap a lot less noticeable.

Cipherr

Got this today while exploring Act II, instantly sold for 900 million on ah, I probably put it too low :(

s1rCUSV.jpg

I think you definitely could have gotten more, but 900 mill aint bad. Man oh man, Ill bet it was an Arcane OWE Monk. thats like 45 Avg Damage over 100 main stat and near perfect rolls on CD and CC.

koji

So what's the deal now people, salvage rares and try crafting or just vendor them all? (archon gloves and stuff)

I lucked out on an amulet craft yesterday, it wasn't anything super crazy but it was an upgrade!

Vodh

I just went to do some MP7 ubers last night. Did all 3 with a bunch of friends, went well enough for my first fully complete ubers run ever. I've already had 2 of the matts so the only one I was looking for was the one from Kulle and Siegebreaker. Grabbed 5 stacks and all that, no matt from Leoric or Ghom but it's fine, got those anyways. We kill Kulle and Siegebreaker - dinngggg, that sweet legendary sound. I've got all 3 matts now, time to craft a ring...

NOT. Fucking Slorak's Madness, a terrible roll too. Didn't get a single matt from the whole run, MP7 mind you! A chance of not getting even a single freaking one from an entire MP7 run is less than 3%.

The next time you feel cursed, come back to me.

Acidote

I just went to do some MP7 ubers last night. Did all 3 with a bunch of friends, went well enough for my first fully complete ubers run ever. I've already had 2 of the matts so the only one I was looking for was the one from Kulle and Siegebreaker. Grabbed 5 stacks and all that, no matt from Leoric or Ghom but it's fine, got those anyways. We kill Kulle and Siegebreaker - dinngggg, that sweet legendary sound. I've got all 3 matts now, time to craft a ring...

NOT. Fucking Slorak's Madness, a terrible roll too. Didn't get a single matt from the whole run, MP7 mind you! A chance of not getting even a single freaking one from an entire MP7 run is less than 3%.

The next time you feel cursed, come back to me.

I did 6 portals on MP6 (5 stacks and anniversary buff) two days ago and nothing dropped. No mats, no legendary. Just a few rares to break. RNG and all.

V_Arnold

So what's the deal now people, salvage rares and try crafting or just vendor them all? (archon gloves and stuff)

I lucked out on an amulet craft yesterday, it wasn't anything super crazy but it was an upgrade!

I like to be self-sustaining so I salvage almost all. Crafting the Archon stuff is definitely the way to go, it easily surpassed my not bad items on the respective slots, and they all did for less than 10-15 tries... I mean look at these beauties:

Jgz07T9.jpg

...ofc not really highend but good enough for MP5-6-7 :p

koji

I like to be self-sustaining so I salvage almost all. Crafting the Archon stuff is definitely the way to go, it easily surpassed my not bad items on the respective slots, and they all did for less than 10-15 tries... I mean look at these beauties:

...ofc not really highend but good enough for MP5-6-7 :p

Guess I'll give it a try. Decent stuff on EU HC is crazy expensive anyway so might as well test my luck at crafting archon stuff.

Here's the amulet I crafted yesterday.

amuletcraft.jpg

Was a nice upgrade for cheap, that was my 6th try I think.

It's often cheaper to craft your own stuff. You only need to spend a few million to get lucky enough to land good CC and CD stats whereas buying a similar item on the AH would cost in the 10s or 100s of millions if not billions.

wait until you get in a group mp10 game on field of misery... game breaking moment with the mobs.

I'm only up to MP7 and there are moments when my audio just clips out because too many things are making sounds.

Stripes55

Neo Member
Say, could you guys refresh my memory? It's been a while since I've run Inferno with a character that hasn't completed it (PL 8 monk, starting Act II). I can do MP1 OK, but is the consensus here just to run MP0 to get through Inferno as quickly as possible, opening up all areas of the game (i.e. will that be more efficient in the long run)? Thanks.

Say, could you guys refresh my memory? It's been a while since I've run Inferno with a character that hasn't completed it (PL 8 monk, starting Act II). I can do MP1 OK, but is the consensus here just to run MP0 to get through Inferno as quickly as possible, opening up all areas of the game (i.e. will that be more efficient in the long run)? Thanks.

Depends on what your goals are. Prior to 1.08 most people farmed act 3 for XP since it had the best monster density. But now a lot of people do act 1. Fields of Misery are a big ol' goat party. Act 2 was always good for farming elites but I don't like the enemies there so I tend to shy away from it although the new monster densities probably make it good for XP farming as well.

Stripes55

Neo Member
Depends on what your goals are. Prior to 1.08 most people farmed act 3 for XP since it had the best monster density. But now a lot of people do act 1. Fields of Misery are a big ol' goat party. Act 2 was always good for farming elites but I don't like the enemies there so I tend to shy away from it although the new monster densities probably make it good for XP farming as well.

I'm trying to remember, though - don't the drop tables become more favorable in Act 3? Or am I remembering that wrong.

Unfortunately, unless I can upgrade my gear some more (and since I only have 1.1 million gold at this point, probably not happening), doing anything above MP1 with my monk's going to be problematic. Ideally, I'd like to be able to increase my life steal % (it's a whopping 2.9%) without nerfing my damage output too badly...

I like act II better than act I for now. The BEEEEEEEES still suck, but I'm bored of act I and the Oasis is just as good as Fields of Misery.

Act I run: Festering Woods > Cemetery > Weeping Hallow > FOM > Maybe Leoric on
Act II run: Mines > Alcarnus > Oasis > east & west aquaduct > Desolate Sands > VOA

The bees really are terrible, but there's less "one shot" mobs like chargin bulls. As a monk the Oasis is my favorite farming spot in the game right now. The snakes swarm my monk, which is exactly what I want them to do.

I'm trying to remember, though - don't the drop tables become more favorable in Act 3? Or am I remembering that wrong.

Unfortunately, unless I can upgrade my gear some more (and since I only have 1.1 million gold at this point, probably not happening), doing anything above MP1 with my monk's going to be problematic. Ideally, I'd like to be able to increase my life steal % (it's a whopping 2.9%) without nerfing my damage output too badly...

All loot is based off of montster level now. Not the act which you're in. So for MP0, the best loot is still in ACTIII because the mobs in act III are higher level than ACT I and ACT II. Any MP level above zero is equal loot tables for all acts becauyse all mobs are the same iLVL.

Prior to this most recent patch 1.0.8, they had not improved mob density though. So ACT III was still the most efficient even though ACT I and ACT II could drop the same loot / give the same exp per mob. They corrected that though and all acts are now relatively the same give or take.

This is the reason I"m farming ACT II really. I farmed ACT III for 6 months maybe? Act I was getting farmed for Uber Boss / ring runs for a while too. ACT II has been left unfarmed for a while so it's refreshing for me.

ACT IV still sucks because the monsters are still rediculous tough, but the loot drops don't improve for that act. IMO, they could keep acts I - III the same and imrpove the EXP and Loot for act IV alone. Might give people incentive to farm there for the first time in the games existence.

Vodh

On MP0 drops in act 3 are better, but on MP1 all drops are the same. And if you don't miss Act 3 too much, as long as you stay in MP1+ you'll be fine no matter where you go, farm-wise. So if you're able to do MP1 I'd say stay there - and you'll be able to get yourself a full set that should let you farm MP1-2 fast and make you able to play MP3 for a few hundred thousand quite easily. Just google a budget <class> guide and follow their advice, adjusting the prices accordingly.

neoism

wait until you get in a group mp10 game on field of misery... game breaking moment with the mobs.

what does some of you guys used for good fps.. I'm using sweetfx now for in-game color enhancement and MSAA but if I take off V sync I get terrible screen tearing, and just can't play it, but lol Field of Misery I get like 8 fps when I get a bunch of mobs together... :/

Jrmint

While bored at work I have been reading the old Diablo OT's, it's a pretty fun trip down memory lane.

Latest highlights:
-People bitching about needing authenticators
-Bashiok's response to the difficulty of Inferno 10 days after release

M.D

Did they really improve the density of enemies in other acts except 1 (I know 3 was not improved)?

VoTA feels exactly the same, and so is the Oasis. Neither of them feel like they have more enemies, or at least not considerably more.

Did they really improve the density of enemies in other acts except 1 (I know 3 was not improved)?

VoTA feels exactly the same, and so is the Oasis. Neither of them feel like they have more enemies, or at least not considerably more.

I'm not sure how you don't notice more mobs on Oasis.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Act I run: Festering Woods > Cemetery > Weeping Hallow > FOM > Maybe Leoric on
Act II run: Mines > Alcarnus > Oasis > east & west aquaduct > Desolate Sands > VOA

A few thoughts for act 2:
- try starting in VOA. Start on mp0 black soulstone quest, get the checkpoint on mp0, then switch back to mp10 and enjoy. In a group you can split up and all do this at once.
- the forgotten ruins, random dungeon always somewhere in the oasis, is a top exp spot
- after west/east channel, you can keep running through that middle door and there's another zone through there with the same density.
- the storm halls (right ZK dungeon) is also great exp. The left one's ok, middle one's bad.

Overall I think act 2's better than act 1. You get your stacks more quickly and can make much longer runs. The exp per mob seems to be better - weeping hollow has tons of mobs but they nerfed the zombie exp a lot.

Shifty76

Upping the ante a bit:

2M for anyone who finds me Jay Wilson or Bashiok.

Well Jay only appears if the Development Hell dungeon in cemetery spawns, so that's easy to check.

I think I've only ever come across Bashiok once or twice in my games but I killed him before I even really looked at his name. Did they ever fix those Rakanishu's blades to work? Used to be you needed a pre-1.04 one in order to get the cheevo.

Well Jay only appears if the Development Hell dungeon in cemetery spawns, so that's easy to check.

I think I've only ever come across Bashiok once or twice in my games but I killed him before I even really looked at his name. Did they ever fix those Rakanishu's blades to work? Used to be you needed a pre-1.04 one in order to get the cheevo.

What is this rakanishu blade and cheevo? Where does bashiok spawn?

Cheevo = achievement?

A few thoughts for act 2:
- try starting in VOA. Start on mp0 black soulstone quest, get the checkpoint on mp0, then switch back to mp10 and enjoy. In a group you can split up and all do this at once.
- the forgotten ruins, random dungeon always somewhere in the oasis, is a top exp spot
- after west/east channel, you can keep running through that middle door and there's another zone through there with the same density.
- the storm halls (right ZK dungeon) is also great exp. The left one's ok, middle one's bad.

Overall I think act 2's better than act 1. You get your stacks more quickly and can make much longer runs. The exp per mob seems to be better - weeping hollow has tons of mobs but they nerfed the zombie exp a lot.

I used to get the checkpoint and start there. I like having the stack though for VoTA. The mines usually has 3-4 elites and alcarnus usually has 1-2. So I'm not sure it would save me much time.

I do the forgotten ruins depending on time.

I do the middle channel as well. It leads to the desolate sands.

I'm not sure I like the storm halls. I've done them on the run a couple times and they seem kinda meh. The middle one does indeed blow.

I'm definitely diggin act II though.

eek5

VoTA is pretty much the same but PoA is insane now. There are so many slithering worm things lol

What is this rakanishu blade and cheevo? Where does bashiok spawn?

Cheevo = achievement?

Bashiok spawns in path of oasis area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom