• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodh

Yay, just broke 200k unbuffed (no passives either) DPS on my Calamity DH! Got 200k EHP, which doesn't feel too terrible with Gloom on.

RoKKeR

Sorry to just interject with a noob question here but...

I haven't played in maybe 8-10 months so I've missed all of the updates to everything. I have a level 42 witch doctor and remember being able to spam at least 4-5 dire bats after Spirit Walk/Soul Harvesting a pack, but now I can only do 2. Were they nerfed? What are some good options for WD nowadays?

Shifty76

Could I get some upgrade suggestions for my Monk?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jrmint-1322/hero/33052380

Some may say drop the set helm for Mempo, but I plan to keep it for the 4 set bonus. Any advice would be great, as I'm still learning how to gear this character.

I have about 100 mill to spend.

I would absolutely advise against a mempho. Unless you get a high cc one it's not worth it, and one of those is well outside your budget. You may find this read to be of interest concerning mempho vs Inna's: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Monk...re_seems_to_be_some_confusion_here_regarding/

Do you have a d3up profile? If not, get one - it makes evaluating upgrades so much easier. I just created one for you on my account: http://d3up.com/b/663904

Your EHP is ridiculously low. Resists aren't bad though they could be better, but your HP is far too low.

Here's what I'd recommend on your budget:

Chest: Grab a Tal Rasha chest with 50+ phys resist & 200+ vit - should cost you under 20m and would give similar dps but way more ehp.

Put an amethyst in that helm instead of the ruby for more HP.

That amulet is really bad (sorry). Search the AH for 40+ avg dmg, 7+ cc, 50+ cd, 100+ dex. Bonus if you can get vit and/or resist too. Should be able to get something for under 20m there and it'd be an absolutely huge dps boost.

Bracers are contributing zero resists and not a ton of dps either so I'd either hit up the AH and look for 120+ dex, 70+ vit, 5+ cc, resist(s) or keep crafting hoping for cc, vit and resist(s)

Not a fan of Nat's set if it doesn't contain a cc ring. I much prefer a good rare ring along with high dex Ice Climbers, as they give similar dps (maybe more, maybe a bit less depending on the ring) and way more ehp, but the choice is yours.

Weapons are pretty nice for now but you might want to save for a LS/socket WKL going forward as it'd blow away your current ones in terms of actual dps (sheet dps will drop though)

Sorry to just interject with a noob question here but...

I haven't played in maybe 8-10 months so I've missed all of the updates to everything. I have a level 42 witch doctor and remember being able to spam at least 4-5 dire bats after Spirit Walk/Soul Harvesting a pack, but now I can only do 2. Were they nerfed? What are some good options for WD nowadays?

bats were changed so that their initial mana cost is higher but then they're much cheaper to keep channeling. so the basically strategy is to click and hold. I'd suggest using plague bats since their damage got a crazy buff.

MrDaravon

I finally just spent the last of my money (after a few other minor upgrades, ~25 mil) to pick up a Tal Rasha chest just because Shifty keeps recommending it haha. It was overall an upgrade, I lost about 9k eHP (but only because my previous chest was ridiculous in that department) but gained about 4k DPS which I'm really looking for at the moment, totally worth it.

Directly related: below is the chest I bought, but on the left you can see the chest I was wearing. I have no goddamn idea what it's worth. I sniped like 6 months ago off the AH for I think 15 mil or so right when it went up. Looking on the US AH right now for chest armors and searching by just Dex/LR/AR/Vit/Pickup and NO slots and NO values entered in any of those fields, only one chest currently exists. It's at 3k with no buyout with 19 hours left so that doesn't do me much good in determining value; it's very similar to mine and also has 3 slots, but mine has WAY more Vit (like 140 more) and slightly better dex/AR. The one on the AH only beats mine in having 1 more LR point and 2 more yards on the pickup radius, but other than that mine shits on it, again 140 more Vit. This seems godlike for a farming LR Monk with the pickup radius, should I just toss this up with no buyout or something? o_O

jwrM3YK.jpg

Shifty76

I appreciate the help. I got my amulet and bracers upgraded (no luck crafting).

What is a good amount of EHP to have as a Monk to farm MP5 or higher?

Depends a lot on your dps and build. I can zoom through up to about MP7 using tempest rush & bells with only ~250k ehp, but that's with 250k dps knocking things down super fast.

For a dual wield spec I'd say 300k should be plenty for MP5, esp with your dual LS.
Add 50k or so ehp and 10k dps every 2 MP levels.

Keep in mind though that you can artificially inflate your ehp by stacking vit. If you look on the right hand side of that d3up profile I linked there's a stat called Total Damage Reduction. That's essentially how durable your monk is. When I created that profile you were at 86.42% total. You're now at 87.19 so a bit better. Ideally though, you want to get that over 90% - preferably around 91% You can do that by adding resists and armour.

Switching Exalted Soul for StI would get you to 89.18 right off the get go so I'd make that change right away - it's not like you have any big spirit spenders that require the larger spirit pool, and you'll find you become way tankier with that change alone.

eek5

This seems godlike for a farming LR Monk with the pickup radius, should I just toss this up with no buyout or something? o_O

I'd list it with a high buyout. The chest is nice but I'm not sure it'll get a lot of exposure. Monks just don't search for rare chests at all. I had a 160 dex 200+ vit 58 fire res chest w/ triple socket before I switched to Tal's and nobody would buy it. Took almost 3 weeks of lowering buyout before someone eventually bought it.

eek5

The subreddit for barb is empty? Discrimination!

Barbs are too busy facerolling the game to help each other out

The gear check threads in the sub would be great though

"HEY GUYS I SPENT 20 MIL AND I'M DESTROYING EVERYTHING HOW CAN I DESTROY IT BETTER WITH THE 20 BIL I HAVE"

koji

k, so I followed up on the craft your own stuff advise earlier in the thread and I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

The stuff below is crafted for a total of 7mil, this includes 2mil for the Archon Chest recipe.

No way that I would have been able to buy that gear off the EU HC AH for 7mil.

Shit is addicting though, burned through all my money. The shoulders were 5 or 6 attempts, same for the amulet. Rest I burned on the chest(s).

Could use an upgrade for my bracers and gloves but that's not going to be easy to craft...

Anyway, very happy with the results. Might be time to step it up to MP2, what do you guys think? (keep in mind it's a HC character)

http://d3up.com/b/520496

ecit: k, MP2 works but it feels kinda slow, guess I'll stick with MP1 till I have some more dps

MrDaravon

Get those gems higher.

Id probably buy that chest how much are you looking for?

Yeah yeah I know, the Monk is my alt so upgrading the dex gems (outside of her weapons) has been much lower priority/value then making other proper upgrades.

I have zero idea what I'm looking for on this chest since I can't seem to price it. I just tossed it up for a lol buyout, when I get home tonight I'll see where the auction is for that similar chest with way lower vit is at. I don't mind hooking you up, but I don't want to way undercut myself, and alternatively if it actually isn't really worth anything don't want to rip somebody off. Price checks I posted for this last night elsewhere didn't get any responses, I have no clue -_-

"HEY GUYS I SPENT 20 MIL AND I'M DESTROYING EVERYTHING HOW CAN I DESTROY IT BETTER WITH THE 20 BIL I HAVE"

bwhahaha

M.D

Since the latest patch came out I went from 56 or 58 paragon to 80. I did not find a single item that could be considered good or could be sold for a good price.

:(

Fularu

Banned

But I'm not destroying everything :(

Not a fan of Nat's set if it doesn't contain a cc ring. I much prefer a good rare ring along with high dex Ice Climbers, as they give similar dps (maybe more, maybe a bit less depending on the ring) and way more ehp, but the choice is yours.

So I tried playing around in D3up last night to see how I can sqeek more DPS out of my build. You had said the same thing to me as well so I wanted to see if I could swap out to a yellow and a set of ice climbers. Due the the double roll of dex, the high avg dmg roll and the CD roll on my nats ring, it was about a 10K loss in DPS for about a 40K gain in EHP. I would also have to lose either MS or Pick up Raidus on my current boots too. Then I would have to get an ammy to bring my DPS back up to wear it currently is. The gains were really small. Let me link my account again. (Turns out the nats ring I found was more valuable than I had previously thought)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

I then decided to see if I could get some more out of my helfire ring. I was able to find DPS increases, but I lost 60 AR in doing so. Trying to find an upgraded ring that also had AR was stupidly priced.

Basically ... any piece that I can upgrade to get more DPS out of my build would have me loose my 4 piece INNA's set bonus or have me loose a bunch of AR and force me back to OWE.

So it's either change my build / playstyle or just focus on upgrading weapons and crafting a better vit ammy & a Pair of bracers with more dex. :/

I jsut decided to upgrade my gems for now. lol

Shifty76

So I tried playing around in D3up last night to see how I can sqeek more DPS out of my build. You had said the same thing to me as well so I wanted to see if I could swap out to a yellow and a set of ice climbers. Due the the double roll of dex, the high avg dmg roll and the CD roll on my nats ring, it was about a 10K loss in DPS for about a 40K gain in EHP. I would also have to lose either MS or Pick up Raidus on my current boots too. Then I would have to get an ammy to bring my DPS back up to wear it currently is. The gains were really small. Let me link my account again. (Turns out the nats ring I found was more valuable than I had previously thought)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

I then decided to see if I could get some more out of my helfire ring. I was able to find DPS increases, but I lost 60 AR in doing so. Trying to find an upgraded ring that also had AR was stupidly priced.

Basically ... any piece that I can upgrade to get more DPS out of my build would have me loose my 4 piece INNA's set bonus or have me loose a bunch of AR and force me back to OWE.

So it's either change my build / playstyle or just focus on upgrading weapons and crafting a better vit ammy & a Pair of bracers with more dex. :/

I jsut decided to upgrade my gems for now. lol

Yeah, for having no cc on it that ring is pretty solid.

Yeah, for having no cc on it that ring is pretty solid.

The path they take to nerf OWE might help me later. If they make it native but at 50% value or something, I could drop a piece with AR on it since my PHY resists is up around 700.

I'm also now considering dropping the inna's set. Though I love cheap SW. Man ... rock and a hard place.

Jrmint

Yea I was shocked with how amazing SW with cyclone was at 60 last night. I have never seen huge packs die so fast. Having it only cost 5 spirit is a lot to give up.

Look who I found, didn't someone on here want to find it?
Jay_Wilson.png

Opiate was looking for him.

Yea I was shocked with how amazing SW with cyclone was at 60 last night. I have never seen huge packs die so fast. Having it only cost 5 spirit is a lot to give up.

1.0.7 really made playing monk rad. Prior to that I was running a hybrid Temnpest rush and EP on about MP4. Ocassionaly, I would play with Cyclone Strike and the Bell, but TR was so efficient at lower MP's it was better than cyclone strike. Full TR builds were fun too, but I found mp 0-1 extrememly boring at the time. Standard cookie cutter monk builds were also a very common build for me.

It was funny too beacuse a bunch of people were complaining about Blizzards comments regarding monk. They though we were at a good place damage wise, but wanted to give us more incentive to use different spirit spenders instead of just spamming MoC and laying out defensive spells that increase our DPS like blinding flash and BoH.

I was stoked though. 1.0.7 increased the damamge that EP, TR, Cylone Strike and The Bell do. Upon hearing this I instantly knew I was going to be an EP / Cyclone Strike monk for higher MP's and started gearing OWE out of my build.

Since I don't spend spirit on SW and was able to wap in a spirit building pasive for OWE, it really allowed me to cylone enemies and lay out EP's liberally without worrying about my spirit levels for the next fight.

Then Shifty told me about the backlash build and I was in heaven.

You haven't seen huge packs die fast until you see EP in action in Fields of Misery ;)

Yeah ... if you're a monk and you're not using EP with your Cylones, you're doing it wrong. lol Talay always makes fun of me saying EP is the most OP skill in the game. It's really an amazing skill.

The monk class has also opened up because decent gear is cheaper now along with the 1.0.7 changes. When monster power started only barbs could do MP10. One of my friends even stopped playing because he felt monk was being short changed. Now my monk rocks MP10 right with the best of em.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Every monk should run exploding palm in the group! It stacks. With a full group, each palm applied does 10% of the mob's current max health, and then that's increased by damage increasing debuffs.

Need to test whether the 12% from the flesh is weak also stacks.

Every monk should run exploding palm in the group! It stacks. With a full group, each palm applied does 10% of the mob's current max health, and then that's increased by damage increasing debuffs.

Wow I didn't know the bleed stacked. If the bonus from flesh is weak stacks, then it's just a huge bonus.

My personal favorite with EP is when the scorched bodies of a dead mob flies directly at the the camera angle. It looks like bodies are about to fly off of my moniter. HA.

eek5

Isn't that figure outdated? I was under the impression that EP always did 50% of single player enemy health. With the new multiplayer nerfs, shouldn't EP do 20% of max HP damage in a 4 player game?

It should be something like:

1p 50%
2p 33%
3p 25%
4p 20%

I think...

Isn't that figure outdated? I was under the impression that EP always did 50% of single player enemy health. With the new multiplayer nerfs, shouldn't EP do 20% of max HP damage in a 4 player game?

1p 50%
2p 33%
3p 25%
4p 20%

I think...

The explosions in a 4 player game sure feel bigger than 20% to me.

EDIT: I thought he was talking about the bleed. LOL

Solo EP is that much more powerful on the explosions?

eek5

The explosions in a 4 player game sure feel bigger than 20% to me.

EDIT: I thought he was talking about the bleed. LOL

Solo EP is that much more powerful on the explosions?

Yeah it does 50% of enemy HP so you pretty much kill everything around you with just one EP

Cipherr

That is frustrating to learn man. Nerfing skills in fucking multiplayer without it being obviously documented pisses me off.

This is the lifesteal in inferno shit all over again. Really fucking assinine to drastically reduce the effectiveness of skills in certain scenarios without making it obvious to players.

That is frustrating to learn man. Nerfing skills in fucking multiplayer without it being obviously documented pisses me off.

This is the lifesteal in inferno shit all over again. Really fucking assinine to drastically reduce the effectiveness of skills in certain scenarios without making it obvious to players.

Yeah but they reduced the multipier that mobs get for their HP for each person. Also, LS on inferno is just right. It it wasnlt nerfed LS would be WAYYYYYAYAYAYAYAY Over Powered.

Cipherr

If it wasn't nerfed LS would be WAYYYYYAYAYAYAYAY Over Powered.

This is true, and probably the same for 50% life explosions in 4 player games, but I don't think that excuses hiding such massive skill differences in the code and never communicating it in game in some fashion. Having an icon read that it does 50% damage, when it only does 20% is just too large a difference to not detail. Same for lifesteal.

This is true, and probably the same for 50% life explosions in 4 player games, but I don't think that excuses hiding such massive skill differences in the code and never communicating it in game in some fashion. Having an icon read that it does 50% damage, when it only does 20% is just too large a difference to not detail. Same for lifesteal.

Better communication would ideal, though I wonder if more people would freak for no real reason. The EP example with me above exemplifies this. I had no idea I was being nerfed in MP games. Explosions still seem strong to me and I still hear my monk screaming "by the hands of Y'tar" all the time.

Anyway ... for the meantime I'll take a "no harm no foul" approach.

eek5

EP wasn't that great before but they indirectly buffed it by lowering the amount of HP increase per player. It's usable now although I still prefer to drop it for mobility in 4p games. In 2-3p games it can increase clear speeds by quite a bit though especially if your teammates target down EP'd targets.

Multiple monks running EP in ubers is also pretty sweet. Usually if a CM wiz locks down the two ubers next to each other, sweeping wind and cyclones and other AOE will keep the ubers within range to die simultaneously to 2 EPs.

I think I'll use the "By the hands of Y'tar" voice as a guide to how effective EP is. Even in games with 4 people it's still blasting the shit out of everything. Especially when laying multiple EP's down. I was jokingly trying to kill myself with EP last night fighting RD elites in VoTA. It definitley was saving our groups time and doing a ton of damage. The 12% added damage from the flesh is weak is also a nice benefit for fighting elites.

EDIT: Also ... does the 12% from the flesh is weak affect the explosion damage mobs take. Like if I hvae three EP's out on an elite pack and one goes off. NOrmally that deal 20% damage, but will the mobs effected by flesh is weak take 12% more. So like 22%-23% damage? Convition have an effect bring it up to 28% or so?

The skill just has WAY to much synergy with Cyclone Strike and CM Wiz perma freezing shit for it to not be effective. Even with 4 people.

It's only taken like 12 months+, but I'm finally starting to find this game fun.

How often have you played? Any GAF friends on your list? If not, you should go back 2-3 pages to see some account and send out invites. I usuall have 6-12 people on from GAF at any given time I"m playing now.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

1p 50%
2p 33%
3p 25%
4p 20%

I think...

InvisUK's testing in 1.0.7 showed it was actually based on the mob's current max HP (10% for 4), not the single player HP (unless they used a really complicated formula for that with a few decimal places on the percentage...)

Still, worth re-testing in 1.0.8. I'll fire up my dusty multibox setup this weekend and get some testing in

Talaysen

I think I'll use the "By the hands of Y'tar" voice as a guide to how effective EP is. Even in games with 4 people it's still blasting the shit out of everything. Especially when laying multiple EP's down. I was jokingly trying to kill myself with EP last night fighting RD elites in VoTA. It definitley was saving our groups time and doing a ton of damage. The 12% added damage from the flesh is weak is also a nice benefit for fighting elites.

EDIT: Also ... does the 12% from the flesh is weak affect the explosion damage mobs take. Like if I hvae three EP's out on an elite pack and one goes off. NOrmally that deal 20% damage, but will the mobs effected by flesh is weak take 12% more. So like 22%-23% damage? Convition have an effect bring it up to 28% or so?

EP is affected by all damage multiplier debuffs on enemies I believe. So yeah, Convinction would also buff it. I generally run with +45% damage multiplier debuffs as well, so your EPs are probably doing like 30%+ HP when we play.

EP is affected by all damage multiplier debuffs on enemies I believe. So yeah, Convinction would also buff it. I generally run with +45% damage multiplier debuffs as well, so your EPs are probably doing like 30%+ HP when we play.

This is probably why I never notice. I run with you a lot.

Edit: hate iPhone typing

How often have you played? Any GAF friends on your list? If not, you should go back 2-3 pages to see some account and send out invites. I usuall have 6-12 people on from GAF at any given time I"m playing now.

Played it the release week and didn't touch it for months afterwards as it left a bad taste in my mouth. However, I've dipped in and out again over the last few months, and the last week I've put in a few hours a day and enjoyed it.

I'll have a look back to find some people to run with, hopefully there are some EU people there too. Thanks for that.

J2d

Found a no crit mempo, I turn into a child every time I find one thinking this might be it, no other drop has close to this effect on me. It sold for 45 mil so I guess I can't be that bummed out but still.. Gonna do some grinding tonight, legendaries, at least the shitty ones, have a tendency to drop after one another to me so I'm hoping to get lucky.

VALKYRAY

Banned
100000000+ gold picked up in game
I only found 2 mempo, both int roll no cc. Never found anything worth more than 200mil.
I never even found 1 upgrade for myself.
Sometimes I wonder why am I still playing this, but I'm still playing this...

J2d

I found a pair of inna's pants that were an upgrade for me around two hundred hours ago =/ The thing that bothers me the most is that I have never found a good weapon, nothing over 1000dps with a socket and crit or LS, pisses me off honestly.

face edit: I did find some nice boots a while ago but they were only good for tempest rushing.

Opiate

I have found a ~7b Echoing Fury, a 500m chantodo's force, and a 700m pair of bracers. Just this week, I found a Zunimassa's helm I sold for 200m and a chest I sold for 250m.

LukeSmith

I just picked this back up again to see how it's changed. I have a 56 Barb, 60 Wizard that I beat pre-pre nerf Inferno, 60 monk and 60 DH.

So funny to me how somehow Diablo III ended up an extremely underrated game.

Reading the thread it sounds like Barbarians are overtuned and Demon Hunters are undertuned?

Could someone give me a quick and dirty overview of the end game activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom