• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow780

You can salvage blues for materials needed for crafting. On higher MPs they drop like candy.

Is it better to craft vitality armors and hoping for primary stats roll or random rolls will not be comparable to the guaranteed value?

Ingeniero

You can salvage blues for materials needed for crafting. On higher MPs they drop like candy.
I know but I need 30EE for 1 craft... and every blue only salvages into 1EE, just to think about of the number of trips I need to make to have a decent amount for mass crafting makes my head hurt..
I used to have like 700EE, crafted a bunch, got nothing good....

EDIT. I was wrong apparently, I need only tomes of secrets and demonic to craft shoulders, I will give it a try today.

eek5

It's not that much of a problem, actually. The 5 seconds it takes to reach max bats damage is scaled down by the witch doctor's APS. (e.g. max in 2.5 seconds with 2 aps)

Skills like blood ritual help a lot with the mana cost.

Each of these is about the size of a medium watermelon (5-15 pounds) and they can grow about 40-50 feet in the air. There are some horror stories out there in the news where people were hit by them.

They're also one of the most controversial foods around due to the smell.
They patched that faster damage with aps right before it went live :(. Mana isn't an issue with skorn and any as thoguh; I run with 1h and moho and have no problems. Also 24ms isn't really necessary. I just spirit walk everywhere. I am usually ahead of everyone when I am group farming.

They patched that faster damage with aps right before it went live :(. Mana isn't an issue with skorn and any as thoguh; I run with 1h and moho and have no problems. Also 24ms isn't really necessary. I just spirit walk everywhere. I am usually ahead of everyone when I am group farming.

I suppose that makes sense. So I can craft my bracers and forget about the 24% MS. Do WD's have a specific pair of pants they like, or will yellow's do fine?

EDIT: Also ... lol @ the killer Durian Fruit tree.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Pestilence spreads on contact (or so I hear), not just kills, so cyclone strike helps WD out a lot that way too.

Pestilence spreads on contact (or so I hear), not just kills, so cyclone strike helps WD out a lot that way too.

it spreads randomly but will eventually just covers everything. that's why it meshes so well with cloud of bats. you just cast it once and soon the entire group will be covered.

MrDaravon

Is there anywhere that has a listing of what enemies are what level on what difficulty? Considering trying to do like one run a day trying to get one of the lower level legendary/set plans, it's based (at least roughly) on the level of the enemy right?

eek5

I suppose that makes sense. So I can craft my bracers and forget about the 24% MS. Do WD's have a specific pair of pants they like, or will yellow's do fine?

EDIT: Also ... lol @ the killer Durian Fruit tree.

Yeah I don't think MS is really that necessary. You probably want the base 12% so that you can kite enemies without taking too much damage. At 12% stuff like the burrowing frogs is a pain in the ass because they move so fast (but I'm not sure 24% is really much better because my monk takes damage too). At 0% you're probably in for a world of hurt from all kinds of fast enemies though. The way I play WD, I'll pull as much as possible then stand in one place and just CoB and spirit walk over and over. I generally don't stop for groups smaller than 50 and for solo I'll try to pull a full quarter of the map if possible so movement speed isn't that big of a deal for me. The way I'll pull is locust swarm 4 corners of the screen, then kite a direction pull more groups. IF my health goes low I'll spirit walk then soul harvest and then CoB until I can spirit walk again then spirit walk away and continue to pull with locust swarm. edit: you generally will always have 12% because of zuni set which is pretty much mandatory anyway.

I wear rares with AR/VIT/INT/Armor but I got it as a drop. Double socket ones are very expensive. You can get ones without armor for a bit cheaper. Another option you have is to get blackthornes. I think the EHP gain there is very hard to beat if you get some 200 vit pants w/ armor or AR.

If you want to see some examples of mid-range WD's check out Wallach's WD:
http://d3up.com/b/710904/metzger (I think <100mil)

or my WD:
http://d3up.com/b/61233/wd (~800mil)

eek5

Excellent video of a pestilence WD in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpF-F0GirHM&feature=youtu.be

Eek should appreciate this one. From reddit

Yup! That's more or less what I do. It's awesome. There is this entire metagame when you're farming to see how big of a group you can herd which keeps it fresh.

WD is probably the best mid-range solo farming class in the game IMO. Barb is faster if you can get up to 80% crit but that is somewhat expensive. Monk is pretty good but also expensive if you plan on farming MP10. DH is just bad. Wiz gets expensive at mp10 .

Wallach

Yup! That's more or less what I do. It's awesome. There is this entire metagame when you're farming to see how big of a group you can herd which keeps it fresh.

It's kind of a minigame to see if you can break the server in a group, from what I understand.

I might try bears again. I'm getting real annoyed only running CoB when I come across a gobbo. It's like 50/50 whether it will die when solo.

Raticus79

WD is probably the best mid-range solo farming class in the game IMO. Barb is faster if you can get up to 80% crit but that is somewhat expensive. Monk is pretty good but also expensive if you plan on farming MP10. DH is just bad. Wiz gets expensive at mp10 .

Almost worth doing some sort of gear swap just for gathering purposes (extra tanky and avoid killing stuff with pestilence), then switch over for kill time

eek5

It's kind of a minigame to see if you can break the server in a group, from what I understand.

I might try bears again. I'm getting real annoyed only running CoB when I come across a gobbo. It's like 50/50 whether it will die when solo.

Yeah I'm at ~180k and I'm barely over 50% success on gobos. CoB is very bad at targets that move around a lot lol

Raticus79

Here you go Fenderputty, a build guide video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysDepj83IE

Seems like they hardly ever use the bears, so maybe that could be used for some goblin killer ability. I'm thinking maybe Blood Ritual for that first passive slot. I think pestilence might be better than the damage rune on locust swarm just because it spreads faster (tags things for pulling more quickly)

yeah if your goal is to pull everything you definitely want pestilence. past MP7 locusts don't actually do much damage anymore unless you have crazy DPS. the entire point of them is to aggro mobs. I use the mana rune since my EHP is so low I have to move around a lot which means eating the startup mana cost on bats. but it still gets the job done.

Hmm. Maybe the extra life steal on the searing locusts would be better for some builds. Pestilence spreads better but I don't know that it's a whole lot better and you can make up for it by just casting locusts a bit more.

edit: it helps when you're wearing 9 billion worth of gear. I'm only at 50 million and can kinda survive MP10. *sigh*

Shifty76

Yeah I don't think MS is really that necessary. You probably want the base 12% so that you can kite enemies without taking too much damage. At 12% stuff like the burrowing frogs is a pain in the ass because they move so fast (but I'm not sure 24% is really much better because my monk takes damage too). At 0% you're probably in for a world of hurt from all kinds of fast enemies though. The way I play WD, I'll pull as much as possible then stand in one place and just CoB and spirit walk over and over. I generally don't stop for groups smaller than 50 and for solo I'll try to pull a full quarter of the map if possible so movement speed isn't that big of a deal for me. The way I'll pull is locust swarm 4 corners of the screen, then kite a direction pull more groups. IF my health goes low I'll spirit walk then soul harvest and then CoB until I can spirit walk again then spirit walk away and continue to pull with locust swarm. edit: you generally will always have 12% because of zuni set which is pretty much mandatory anyway.

I wear rares with AR/VIT/INT/Armor but I got it as a drop. Double socket ones are very expensive. You can get ones without armor for a bit cheaper. Another option you have is to get blackthornes. I think the EHP gain there is very hard to beat if you get some 200 vit pants w/ armor or AR.

If you want to see some examples of mid-range WD's check out Wallach's WD:
http://d3up.com/b/710904/metzger (I think <100mil)

or my WD:
http://d3up.com/b/61233/wd (~800mil)

This is very timely since I ran with a CoB WD last night and gave it a brief try myself (fun!) I ran it with Skorn though...how's the mana usage with 1-hander & mojo? I think it'll be my go-to build for my WD since 0dogs is way outside my price range.

What's your tactic vs ranged kiting enemies? Just leave em or wait for pestilence to knock them down?

I'm thinking I'll grab enchantress with azurewrath (is that the sword with freezy proc?) and a ton of IAS gear.

As long as you're getting kills mana usage isn't a problem, which is why 4 pieces of Zunimassa's is a requirement for the build. So you just need the appropriate amount of DPS for the MP level you choose. The biggest reason I run with 1H + mojo is that it's super cheap CC compared to 2H. I would love to use a 1400 DPS skorn but I don't have billions to spend on gear.

My general strategy is to aggro a bunch of enemies and then stop right on top of a ranged enemy to start summoning bats.

eek5

This is very timely since I ran with a CoB WD last night and gave it a brief try myself (fun!) I ran it with Skorn though...how's the mana usage with 1-hander & mojo? I think it'll be my go-to build for my WD since 0dogs is way outside my price range.

What's your tactic vs ranged kiting enemies? Just leave em or wait for pestilence to knock them down?

I'm thinking I'll grab enchantress with azurewrath (is that the sword with freezy proc?) and a ton of IAS gear.

As long as you have full zuni set you should be fine. The mana per kill off-sets everything. The only thing that is tough is single target but if your dps is high enough you should kill things before you're in trouble. The most problematic stuff is party play where your teammates aren't very high DPS and you run into an elite that forces you to re-channel over and over via knockback or vortex or something. That will eat your mana really fast. Usually you should be able to just spirit walk away and regen though (I'm using mana spirit walk). If you still have troubles you can use a TotD as well (10-11 mana regen). I'm using that in parties so that I can reset my CDs easier but in solo I do fine w/ the serpent since I'm killing stuff really fast and close anyway.

Reflect damage can be a pain at 2.8-3% LS. I usually buff to around 220k (but up to ~490k dps) for groups of enemies and even though my ehp is 50k higher than my monk, it's all HP so I one shot myself against RD if I'm hitting 3-4 RD targets at once. What I'll usually do is locust swarm the elite pack then take a second to pull in some trash so that the RD wears off then go in for the kill.

I mainly farm A1 w/ my WD so ranged units aren't a huge deal. Most ranged units in A1 will stand outside of CoB and just tag you over and over but they remain stationary at that spot while attacking so I'll just kill the melee units then walk over and kill the ranged. For stuff that runs around a lot I have used hex in the past to turn them into a pig which makes them stay still and allow you to kill them (works great on things like the wretching mothers that barf up zombies or even elites like the KW in a1)

Here you go Fenderputty, a build guide video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysDepj83IE

Seems like they hardly ever use the bears, so maybe that could be used for some goblin killer ability. I'm thinking maybe Blood Ritual for that first passive slot. I think pestilence might be better than the damage rune on locust swarm just because it spreads faster (tags things for pulling more quickly)

Thanks Rat. I'll check this out. I've got some INT bracers I need to craft. I"m going to use my gloves on my monk since they rolled crazy INT on them too. I need to spend about 20 - 30 million on a pox and then I think I can start rolling my WD around a little too. Probably just use one of my swords.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

Into

I am a 260k Barb on EU BEST TANK EU, well no i am not :p, but i am looking for some Gaffers to group up with, regardless of your gear, keys and monster slaying.

IntoTheNight#2315

I tried some public games finally, and it was alright, tough it is really confusing when you enter a game since you have no clue how far they are and what they have killed, explored etc, they need to put a timer for how long the game has lasted

Raticus79

I think that guide's a bit out of date from the current (unwritten?) consensus, but it's a start at least.

I'm waiting to see if I won an auction for an int / life steal skorn during the AH downtime, then I can start weighing in on things.

Into

I've only joined ONE public game and even then dropped out ASAP just to get the achievment.

Its not that bad =P, i tried MP6 and MP7 in public games and the players seemed mostly scattered, everyone doing their own thing, yet when i cranked it up to MP8 it was more cohesive, people were moving together with a general purpose

No chat in either, which is fine, not really bothered about talking to people just want the xp

Act 3 public games is good because the entire act just funnels players through a straight line almost, where as Act 1 public games is a mess, i have no clue what is going on, have they done the Cemetary? The Tombs? Key Warden?

The Xp buff is enourmos, went from 60 to 62 in just a few games

deadeye

Hey guys, I'm to new to NeoGaf as well as to Diablo 3. My account was finally activated after several weeks of waiting. I'm really excited to be part of this forum, and this thread.

I've been playing this game a lot these past few weeks, and I've finally got my Wizard to lvl 60. I've played mostly public games, which allowed me to meet other players, one who was kind enough to give me several pieces of Legendary armor that I may have only found after putting in several hundred hours, as well as giving me advice on creating builds. I'm definitely grateful for his help.

There is still a lot I have to learn in this game, so here is my current wizard build I would like any opinions on it, or suggestions that can make it better. My main purpose with it is to try to keep her in Archon as much as possible. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/deadeye-1824/hero/17053370

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community.

Raticus79

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568377461 (plague bats)

Saw an interesting tidbit in there that plague bats apply a DOT over 3 seconds. It also only stacks up twice(?), so it's best alternated with other skills. Wonder if that would work for rend-style gameplay. (maybe not at the same MP as barbs)

I'll explore the plague bats stuff and see what's still valid. Seems like there's some potential there for a good exp build.

SRTtoZ

Picked up a Skorn last night for a winning bid of 130 mil, had 200 crit dmg, 300 str and 500 life on hit and ended up reselling it for 700m. I feel like I could have gotten more but whatever...

Raticus79

Congrats, what was the DPS on it? Must have been pretty good to sell high without life steal.

Hey guys, I'm to new to NeoGaf as well as to Diablo 3.

Welcome aboard! Might as well try to get in on Opiate's uber runs to get your hellfire. (I'm out for tonight most likely)

MrDaravon

Opiate is a champ doing these runs. Going to continue to try to get my Monk up so I can start doing high MP runs and actually contribute (whereas my DH survives MP10 fine but doesn't do a whole lot to help). I can do MP7 fairly comfortably/productively (solo) with my Monk, past that it starts to get dicey, specifically with certain affixes and/or combination of affixes.

Opiate

Getting started on uber runs. Again, battletag is Verse#1603.

Just add me in game (if we are not already friends) and PM me in game if you'd like to join. I'll try fit in as many people as I can.

Raticus79

Reposting a classic:

4BXjz.jpg

Man, that search took a while. Saving for posterity

Been playing around with that specific WD build. Seems like the crux of it is your EHP. Since your damage gets buffed so much by soul harvest and gruesome feast your DPS isn't going to be an issue in MP10 if you're over 150k unbuffed.

Surviving the kiting process is the problem. My current EHP is about 300k and I do just fine in MP7 but MP8 can get dicey. My skill changes haven't propogated out yet so here's what they look like in the calculator.

I'd say searing locusts is a good choice of pestilence since it's going to be giving you more lifesteal. When there are so many enemies on screen it spreads really fast regardless so I don't think the bonus to spreading is worth the damage trade off. Spirit vessel is a really good choice, too. Not only does it give you some breathing room but it also reduces the cooldown of spirit walk. Which is helpful during the kiting phase.

Now as far as the 6th skill. The guy in the video was using zombie bears. Which I don't think was super necessary. Maybe if you're super obsessed with never missing a treasure goblin. But whatever that skill is it's superfluous. Everything is pretty much going to just fall to bats. I've slotted in mass confusion since it briefly stops things from attacking me and makes them easier to kill which is super helpful when you have relatively low DPS/EHP. Hex might be another good option for that slot although I've never liked how short the duration is on that.

Overall really like the way the build works out. Now my goal is to improve my EHP and try to kite enough enemies together to break the game. Biggest pull so far has been 278.

MrDaravon

I can't believe that my Monk did totally fine on MP10 with you guys, I only died once on one of the Ubers (and I'm not even sure what happened honestly). RIP DH

Raticus79

Wow, plague bats really suck in comparison to cloud of bats. No contest! It's nothing like rend - if you tap and run it barely does any damage

Shifty76

Wow, plague bats really suck in comparison to cloud of bats. No contest! It's nothing like rend - if you tap and run it barely does any damage

Heh, yeah I tried it out for a little bit then went back to CoB.

Spent some cash and doubled my dps while keeping around the same EHP on my WD.
Currently rolling over MP7...just waiting to craft better bracers & gloves before moving up MP levels: http://d3up.com/b/8673/shakazulu

Still debating mass confusion vs bbv vs horrify with the armour rune. Not taking hex off the bar as that's my secret weapon vs elites :)

Stripes55

Neo Member
So, just for fun, this week I started a brand new Demon Hunter, and have run him all the way through Normal at MP 10 (my last DH was only doing MP7, for some reason...don't know why I did that). Diablo himself was a bit of a challenge until I changed up my active skills a bit, but otherwise I've been plowing through.

I thought I remember seeing at one point that people were pretty much saying DHs ran into massive problems later on...is that still the case? Or can I build this guy effectively and hit level 60, finish Inferno, etc. without too many problems. And is 1-weapon+quiver or dual wielding better (right now I'm dual wielding, and rapid fire is still pretty effective for me)?

Wolfie5

I played a bit with CoB (after patch), but than changed to plague of bats. CoB does much more dmg and it´s fun considering it crits a lot, but the radius sucks. Found my self running out of mana on occasion, cause I had to restart CoB pretty often to reach other monsters.

Plague of bats has longer range, reaches beyond obstacles(like wallers) and keeps doing dmg when you are forced to move. And the dmg is high after a few seconds, though not as high as CoB. It is not a tap and run skill though. I am more of a tank WD and can stay alive thanks to life steal. I play at MP8 and rarely die. Haven´t tried MP10.

I haven´t tried that pestilence with CoB before either, looked like a lot of fun.

eek5

So, just for fun, this week I started a brand new Demon Hunter, and have run him all the way through Normal at MP 10 (my last DH was only doing MP7, for some reason...don't know why I did that). Diablo himself was a bit of a challenge until I changed up my active skills a bit, but otherwise I've been plowing through.

I thought I remember seeing at one point that people were pretty much saying DHs ran into massive problems later on...is that still the case? Or can I build this guy effectively and hit level 60, finish Inferno, etc. without too many problems. And is 1-weapon+quiver or dual wielding better (right now I'm dual wielding, and rapid fire is still pretty effective for me)?
Inferno with no monster power shouldn't be a problem.

2h w/ quiver for rapid fire (manticore)
1h w/ quiver for grenades (calamity)

Dw not really viable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom