• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Locusts is needed to agro. I dropped Big Bad Vodoo and kept mass confusion for solo play. With party I swap that and keep Big Bad Vodoo and drop Mass Confusion.

Shifty76

You do not need to switch anything out. Left attack: bears, right attack: COB.

I would need to switch something out though.

Currently running bats & locusts on left/right click, spirit walk, harvest, hex & either BBV for group or mass confuse for solo play.

Which of those would be switched? I LOVE hex for dealing with elites/champ packs, particularly kiting ones, and BBV/confuse is a great dmg buff.

Wallach

Currently running bats & locusts on left/right click, spirit walk, harvest, hex & either BBV for group or mass confuse for solo play.

Which of those would be switched? I LOVE hex for dealing with elites/champ packs, particularly kiting ones, and BBV/confuse is a great dmg buff.

I'd recommend dropping Hex. Really good skill but I don't think it is as helpful at dealing with packs that CoB struggles with as much as Bears is.

Yeah I'm not running Hex. I use bears for the more pesky elites. It might or might not work as well as hex, but it helps in other areas that hex doesn't as well.

Shifty76

Yeah I'm not running Hex. I use bears for the more pesky elites. It might or might not work as well as hex, but it helps in other areas that hex doesn't as well.

What do you do vs RD packs? Just spirit walk and hope you can burn them down? Hex helps a ton with those so that's another reason I'm hesitant to switch it out.

Vio-Lence

Banned
When I asked everyone told me to keep it in the OH slot (eek and you included), or I totally misunderstood you both.

I don't recall but a good rule of thumb is weapon with the largest DMG range for the mh. Either way that's a nice find. Don't think I've ever had an EF drop for me.

What do you do vs RD packs? Just spirit walk and hope you can burn them down? Hex helps a ton with those so that's another reason I'm hesitant to switch it out.

RD is sort of conditional for me. I don't have probelems with it unless it's paired with thing or two that's also bad. I occasionally have to pull the pack to another grouping of mobs that I can agro.

My WD is Mp 8 - 9 BTW

Fularu

Banned
I don't recall but a good rule of thumb is weapon with the largest DMG range for the mh. Either way that's a nice find. Don't think I've ever had an EF drop for me.
I've found about 10 of them. One sold for 100 million (1180 DPS, 170 int, .24 APS, open socket and 56% crit damage), several for 15 to 20 million and the one I'm wearing which I was told was more or less "worthless" due to lack of high str and no cd

Opiate

How's that HC WD working for ya? WD seems way to squishy to do HC, but apparently it's one of the more common classes that succeed? Defenseive builds with pets I assume?

Quite well so far. Level 39, no deaths yet.

I am running the following set up:

Acid Rain with 24 yard radius rune
Gargantuan with cleave
Zombie Dogs with blood pact (10% damage reduction for me)
Splintered Darts as my primary DPS for mobility
Deadly Grasp with extra slow to keep mobs at distance
Spirit walk with Jaunt

Passives are Spirit Vessel, Jungle Fortitude, and either Piercing the Veil for high DPS situations or the passive which reduces incoming damage by 20% from targets which are poisoned for bosses.

My threats are basically vortex, teleport, and occasional bouts of frozen if they hit me wrong. Otherwise I virtually never take any damage at all so far. The real challenge and/or changes will be needed when my pets start dying with more frequency, but even then Grasp of the dead keeps significant distance on anything that doesn't vortex/teleport. I am technically fairly squishy, but just getting to me is extraordinarily difficult. I frequently take 0 damage at all from entire zones, elites and all.

Again, disclaimer: I'm still in nightmare so this calculus may change as I move up.

Stripes55

Neo Member
Holy crap...finally joined a couple of public games last night....why did I wait so long to do that? Got 2 legendaries! Sure, they were kinda crappy, but the point is: I GOT TWO LEGENDARIES IN ABOUT AN HOUR! I'd gotten my last 2 legendaries in about the previous month or so...

Gonna try it again tonight at a slightly higher MP...my barb seems to have no problem on MP3 so gonna attempt MP4 or MP5...

Fularu

Banned
I had one close call yesterday in keeps 2 on nightmare. Pack of exploding maniacs right behind a door exploding, had like 1k hp left (out of 18k)

I was so glad to survive that! Keeps 2 will kill me again, I know it :(

On my way to the spider boss in the towers (or whatever her form is)

Wallach

Generally I'll simply move them a bit to aggro more monsters and use Bears. Since monsters can still activate RD while they are under Hex the real gain is not getting hit by them while you're dealing damage, so kiting a bit with Bears tends to work roughly as well (assuming you can move) and will continue to pass through and life steal on other mobs after each reflect hit. Otherwise yeah, lean on Spirit Walk and the occasional potion. I'm more nervous around Fast packs with some kind of CCs, especially ones that have innate CC on top like Grotesques, and Bears is way better on these than Hex.

eek5

Generally I'll simply move them a bit to aggro more monsters and use Bears. Since monsters can still activate RD while they are under Hex the real gain is not getting hit by them while you're dealing damage, so kiting a bit with Bears tends to work roughly as well (assuming you can move) and will continue to pass through and life steal on other mobs after each reflect hit. Otherwise yeah, lean on Spirit Walk and the occasional potion. I'm more nervous around Fast packs with some kind of CCs, especially ones that have innate CC on top like Grotesques, and Bears is way better on these than Hex.

RD isn't hard at all for me anymore. What I'll do is notice that they are RD because my character will start flashing really rapidly from locust swarm DoT so I'll wait 3-4 seconds while aggroing a larger pack and waiting for the RD cast to wear off. The second the RD drops I'll run in and drop BBV then kill the pack. My DPS is so high right now that I'll usually kill the pack before it even becomes an issue. If my health starts dropping when RD comes back up one spirit walk usually does the trick.

Knockback/freeze/arcane/vortex are much more annoying packs for me.

You don't need hex/BBV. Those are really flex spots so you can run anything you want there. Things that don't break channeling are bonuses but if there is a skill that will help you in other places even better. I don't even use my two flex skills that often and I get by fine.

Wallach

RD isn't hard at all for me anymore. What I'll do is notice that they are RD because my character will start flashing really rapidly from locust swarm DoT so I'll wait 3-4 seconds while aggroing a larger pack and waiting for the RD cast to wear off. The second the RD drops I'll run in and drop BBV then kill the pack. My DPS is so high right now that I'll usually kill the pack before it even becomes an issue. If my health starts dropping when RD comes back up one spirit walk usually does the trick.

Knockback/freeze/arcane/vortex are much more annoying packs for me.

That's pretty much how I try to play each RD now; wait out the initial cast and try to finish the entire pack quickly right after that. The ones that require more work are ones that have CC on top or shitty AI like ghosts, barfers or scavengers. Around more like 150k and lower though this is harder if you're dealing with 1h LS and you kinda have to just pay attention regardless of the combo (assuming MP10).

The harder stuff at 200k+ seems to be anything with doubled-up CC, especially with Fast prefix. The last RD pack that really pissed me off was fast barfers with nightmareish, what a fucking pain.

Shifty76

You don't need hex/BBV. Those are really flex spots so you can run anything you want there. Things that don't break channeling are bonuses but if there is a skill that will help you in other places even better. I don't even use my two flex skills that often and I get by fine.

Yeah, my unbuffed dps is only around 135k so I like the bump in dps I get from BBV/confuse - makes MP10 much more doable.

Almost feels like this WD with ~100m sunk into him is more powerful than my plvl 97 monk with 400m+

smr00

Banned
What the hell happened to gold prices? I sold all my wizard gear to gear up my demon hunter and ended up quitting for awhile and decided to come back today and noticed everything is like a billion gold each and both characters naked sitting on chump change.

Did i miss something? I was only gone for like 1-2 months :( Guess i will be starting over and rolling a new wizard tonight.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Patch 1.0.8 changed 10k = 25 cents. Used to be 1k= 25 cents. Gold is 10 times less to the old value. Now all good stuff are on rmah.

Fularu

Banned
No, i sold my wizard gear to get DH gear but stopped playing for like 2 months, i had enough gold to get the high end gear but now i log on and everything is like 1000x more expensive :-/
You said both characters where naked and that you had like no gold. I misunderstood you

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

MrDaravon

Says it'll be back later.

Yeah, but it went down for 6 hours right when I got off work; by the time it comes back up I'll be getting ready for bed, and that's making the bold assumption it will go up at that time. What on earth are they doing over there? There was scheduled ~6 hour maintenance time today, this emergency maintenance, and emergency maintenance over the weekend as well.

In a rush this morning, but I hit 60 with my Barb and spent 45 mil, I think I did okay?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MrDaravon-1289/hero/14098765
http://d3up.com/b/772307

Kinda threw it together, I specifically was trying to stay under 50 mil. Also wasn't sure on a couple of the pieces since I was seeing different recommendations on the boots, as well as the helm; I wasn't specifically going for the 4-set bonus, just happened at the prices I was looking at. Also kinda weird to shop for an offhand weapon as just a stat stick. I also used up the ~40 DE's that I had, actually got a okay shoulders there with that, the gloves are bracers are both kinda okay but will obviously get upgraded, as well as the gems.

Your guys starter gear is really good - I remember I had 10M when I switched over to Barb - and it seems like you have the idea of how to gear them. Now its pretty much balancing your surviveability and dps to how you want to play and putting more money into your slots.

Not sure if the 100dps is without the battle rage or not but you might not want to use Brawler yet as that bonus becomes much better when you have a higher dps. You could probably get more DPS switching to bloodthirst and dropping the IK belt for a Witching Hour or eventually dropping the IK for a solid Mempo when you get more crit chance elsewhere (ammy and bracers are missing a few points - as are mine).

I love the cleave reaping swing for the WW build. Your build looks almost identical to when I used WW build. When the crit damage chance and AS speed is right you can switch to HOTA.

What MP are you running?

Tzeentch

Reinstalled D3 yesterday (haven't played in like a year). WOW the changes are nice. Been playing monster level 6 with my Wizard and it's like an entirely new game.

MrDaravon

Your guys starter gear is really good - I remember I had 10M when I switched over to Barb - and it seems like you have the idea of how to gear them. Now its pretty much balancing your surviveability and dps to how you want to play and putting more money into your slots.

Not sure if the 100dps is without the battle rage or not but you might not want to use Brawler yet as that bonus becomes much better when you have a higher dps. You could probably get more DPS switching to bloodthirst and dropping the IK belt for a Witching Hour or eventually dropping the IK for a solid Mempo when you get more crit chance elsewhere (ammy and bracers are missing a few points - as are mine).

I love the cleave reaping swing for the WW build. Your build looks almost identical to when I used WW build. When the crit damage chance and AS speed is right you can switch to HOTA.

What MP are you running?

I don't think that DPS includes Battle Rage, as far as I know the statsheet on d3up only includes passives. I was debating on whether or not I should run Brawler or Bloodthirst as well. Based on some of the feedback above I'll probably grab an EF, then depending on whether or not I throw that in my mainhand or offhand (leaning towards offhand based on personal prefrence as well as this) I'll need to get another weapon as well since if I DO put it in my offhand I'll need a different mainhand. The Mempo/WH upgrade path is pretty much the plan, I was just looking for a very cheap initial gear. I'm also a fan of Cleave, I tried the setup where you have no generator and run Rend instead, but the timing of getting the setup going was really awkward, figured I would just run with Cleave instead for a while and then once I get more used to it maybe switch over.

I'm actually not running any MP in Inferno yet, I'm still in Hell difficulty lol. I would have hit Inferno tonight (currently a little ways into Act 3) but that's not going to happen with the downtime now :(. Leveling is so stupid easy now, and getting my Barb to 60 was actually profitable since I found several moderately good low level pieces of gear I sold for a few million each, and one item I sold for 50 mil (lol what). So right now I have about 55 mil after my inital gear here , and I started leveling my Barb when I had 45 mil...so yeah. Good times.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
How long until the servers are back up?

Also, what's the deal with this conquest sword crafting? Official forums seem to be bitching about them and "self found" players.

Both of my swords are from crafts. I didn't craft them, but they're both crafts. Raticus was saying something about a momentary glitch or soemthing.

MrDaravon

How long until the servers are back up?

Also, what's the deal with this conquest sword crafting? Official forums seem to be bitching about them and "self found" players.

Servers are supposedly back up in just over an hour, we'll see if that actually happens.

The Conquest Sword crafting issue is from a ways back where people found a way to craft items without them costing any materials/money, or something along those lines. This is where there is an enormous amount of very similar ilvl 62 1h weapons on the AH; I have to wade through a million near identical 1h axes with Int/socket/CD rolls on them trying to find upgrades for my monk. Past that I believe the issue is that on a few of the really good crafts there are "mysteriously" a number of top players that all have the exact identical weapon with identical stats, so not hard to figure out what happened there. On top of that, the odds of getting any of these really good i62 weapon crafts are astronomically low, when you could do the glitch people were doing thousands and thousands of crafts and still getting crap. So when someone says they're self-found but then they have an incredible i62 1h weapon it's probably 99.9% bullshit, and then apparently there are so very few of the really good crafts that exist and got duped that you can look at a profile and identify it as a dupe from just that.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Servers are supposedly back up in just over an hour, we'll see if that actually happens.

The Conquest Sword crafting issue is from a ways back where people found a way to craft items without them costing any materials/money, or something along those lines. This is where there is an enormous amount of very similar ilvl 62 1h weapons on the AH; I have to wade through a million near identical 1h axes with Int/socket/CD rolls on them trying to find upgrades for my monk. Past that I believe the issue is that on a few of the really good crafts there are "mysteriously" a number of top players that all have the exact identical weapon with identical stats, so not hard to figure out what happened there. On top of that, the odds of getting any of these really good i62 weapon crafts are astronomically low, when you could do the glitch people were doing thousands and thousands of crafts and still getting crap. So when someone says they're self-found but then they have an incredible i62 1h weapon it's probably 99.9% bullshit, and then apparently there are so very few of the really good crafts that exist and got duped that you can look at a profile and identify it as a dupe from just that.

Thanks and Thanks.

eek5

Both of my swords are from crafts. I didn't craft them, but they're both crafts. Raticus was saying something about a momentary glitch or soemthing.

Almost every 150k+ dps player in the game has a glitched craft. That's how fucked up it is. If you do a search for a sword or axe w/ CD/LS/OS you barely even see any il63 stuff on the first 4-5 pages because getting those rolls is fucking rare as shit and on top of that you have to roll black damage to compete with all the glitched crafts because the glitches just salvaged anything that wasn't black damage. It's pretty insane.

smr00

Banned
Tempted to just spend $12-13 on the RMAH and get a few hundred million.

Can you even decently gear up a wizard for that? I somehow still have my orb thing i bought which apparently is still a top item to use. So there's that. I only have 15 million which doesn't look like that can really gear me.

eek5

Tempted to just spend $12-13 on the RMAH and get a few hundred million.

Can you even decently gear up a wizard for that? I somehow still have my orb thing i bought which apparently is still a top item to use. So there's that. I only have 15 million which doesn't look like that can really gear me.

With decent crafts, a couple hundred million should get any character geared up to a pretty good level.

I'd say something like 2-300mil

wiz mp6-7 (you can gear specifically for cmwiz group play for less)
wd mp8-9+
barb mp10
monk mp6-8+
dh mp3-5 (you can survive mp10 with grenades build but good luck killing anything)

these are all for solo play. Yo ucan get away with a lot of shit in group play and get carried in mp10 easily w/ 2-300mil with any of the classes.

MrDaravon

Does Attack Speed % on weapons count towards your APS? I sniped this for 4 mil when the servers came back up (minus the gem):

ZlyYyvt.jpg

No LS% but DPS-wise it was a great deal, if the attack speed counts towards my total APS as well that's just a bonus. Also no socket unfortunately, but I also sniped this right when the AH came back up as well for 7 mil:

XTke51f.jpg

No socket, but for the price that's great DPS with the minimum fear and max APS boost. Also the LS% on there helps make up for having no LS on my mainhand. Obviously I'll need to get LS on my mainhand and get a socket on the EF at some point, but for a combined 11 mil I'll certainly take this setup for a fresh Barb. Puts me up to 130k unbuffed, and to be honest most of my stuff is pretty subpar. Also grabbing a decent cheap EF with minimum fear let me check it out, and I'm still not a fan of putting it in my mainhand (I'd have to get a ridiculous one stat-wise to consider it) but with the minimum fear I'm okay with putting it in my offhand which I didn't think I would be, so I'm pretty happy with checking this out for the price I got.

Also beat Hell and played a bit of Inferno, holy goddamn shit Barb is OP. Not that it wasn't already obvious up until that point, but being able to do Inferno with MP on for the increased density (remember that the earlier difficulties DON'T have increased density with MP on) is a huge difference, just completely destroying enormous mobs like it's nothing. Still need to get some of my timing down with the skills and need to learn how to properly pull packs and whatnot, but fuuuuuuuck what is the point of any other class.

I hate myself for wasting 300 hours on the DH. So theres that. I would be so much richer and further in DIII if I didnt waste those hours on inefficient garbage class.

Also HOTA-Thunderstrike I love, seems fear isnt proccing as much possibly because it doesnt override the stun that thunderstrike causes to everyone nearby. I only seem to have to chase the keywardens who keep getting feared and when elites get down to the last one, its generally not too bad though.

eek5

I hate myself for wasting 300 hours on the DH. So theres that. I would be so much richer and further in DIII if I didnt waste those hours on inefficient garbage class.

OR you'd be infinitely rich if you invested those 300 hours into the DH at launch! huehuehue

Talaysen

Does Attack Speed % on weapons count towards your APS? I sniped this for 4 mil when the servers came back up (minus the gem):

Of course. What would the point of it be if it didn't? In fact, it counts more than IAS% on any other item, since it adds to the base APS. Though that's not exactly true when dual wielding.

Quick edit: I will point out that even with the increased attack speed, that axe is worse than a 1.4+ APS base weapon in terms of APS.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Don't waste money on life steal echoing fury. Get one with crit socket. if hou cant afford then Get one with nothing but huge damage and socket

MrDaravon

Of course. What would the point of it be if it didn't? In fact, it counts more than IAS% on any other item, since it adds to the base APS. Though that's not exactly true when dual wielding.

Quick edit: I will point out that even with the increased attack speed, that axe is worse than a 1.4+ APS base weapon in terms of APS.

Right, but I need an Axe or Mace in my mainhand for the passive bonus, only grabbed this specific one because it was cheap.

Edit: Oh, and that 1h dagger I had in my profile that I had posted previously that I bought for like 7 mil? Just sold it for 99 mil. TIME TO GO SHOPPING FOR BETTER 1 HANDERS AGAIN

Ingeniero

Man I got there.
My Barb: http://d3up.com/b/456736

I can play comfortably MP9 and have tons of fun and farm well.
But I can't upgrade anymore, each upgrade now costs 20+ million and adds only 1-2k DPS, and the big upgrades are insanely expensive... I don't know what to do next, probably just level some more paragon levels and start a Wizard or Monk...
I have only 140 million gold.

At least the game is so much fun now with the mob density and all.

smr00

Banned
So i slept on it and decided i didn't want to spend real money in this game so went on a budget build after researching 20mill wizard budgets for lower level farming and figured i would just work my way up since i haven't leveled my paragon or whatever, problem was is i only had 15 mill and come up short and didn't get pants/gloves.

Hopefully my buddy is gonna help me out on the pants/gloves.

So i slept on it and decided i didn't want to spend real money in this game so went on a budget build after researching 20mill wizard budgets for lower level farming and figured i would just work my way up since i haven't leveled my paragon or whatever, problem was is i only had 15 mill and come up short and didn't get pants/gloves.

Hopefully my buddy is gonna help me out on the pants/gloves.

I can give you 10 mil to finish your build.

leviathon#1520

smr00

Banned
I can give you 10 mil to finish your build.

leviathon#1520
Buddy of mine got me some pants and gloves but thanks.

I just need to find a good starting point to farm. I used to farm the end of act 1 MP1/2 but i don't know if that is a viable place anymore. The game has changed a lot since i last played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom