• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more like, "find a way to get my wife to let me have another gaming machine".

Things work both ways though. She's not running out buying tons of shoes lol

Vio-Lence

Banned
That being said I don't have the funds (permission) to buy two launch consoles and have been on PS for a while. Xbone was never really an "any time soon" console for me anyway, though now I can get one when prices fall later in its cycle.

I'm gonna start thinking about children in the next year or so too. Yikes.

Permission, the joys of married life. The wife and I are expecting our first kid in October.

Fularu

Banned
It's more like, "find a way to get my wife to let me have another gaming machine".

Things work both ways though. She's not running out buying tons of shoes lol
That you know of!

My gf doesn't mind as long as I'm reasonable. A gaming machine lasts 10 years, that's a prety cheap investment when you think about it (but then again I neither drink nor smoke)

Permission, the joys of married life. The wife and I are expecting our first kid in October.

Exciting. We're trying to get stuff accomplished the next year with our home (new kitchen) so that we can refiance with some more equity (F U PMI). She just got a new job too so she should be there for a year before we start trying. Timing wise it works out perfect. I'm really looking forward to trying soon though. Practice in the meantime will continue to be fun. lol

That you know of!

My gf doesn't mind as long as I'm reasonable. A gaming machine lasts 10 years, that's a prety cheap investment when you think about it (but then again I neither drink nor smoke)

My Bourbon collection probably costs as much, and has at times cost much more than a new console. lol

Fularu

Banned
The joy of expensive bottles ;)

I'm lucky, I go to Paris 7 weeks a year so amazing wine is cheap for me (compared to prices in Québec, lol)

Not to mention my relatives visiting us and bringing bottles with them :D

Vio-Lence

Banned
My Bourbon collection probably costs as much, and has at times cost much more than a new console. lol

What kind of bourbon whiskey? I'm a bourbon fan myself. I've got bottles of Woodford Reserve, Russell's Reserve, and Rare Breed Turkey at home, but nothing I would consider expensive.

Pappy 20 year, Pappy 12 Year, (drank the pappy 10 year), George T Stagg, Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye, High West Rye, Mitcher's Rye, (Drank the Whistle Pig Rye), Four Roses Single Barrel, Noah's Mill, Angel's Envy.

It was larger, but I've since stopped purchashing as many nice bottles. We're both cutting back for that kitchen. Standard Bourbon is Buffalo Trace or the Bulleit Rye. Woodfords is amazing. The guy who does that makes the angels envy I believe. You should look that one up. Russles Reserve is really nice too.

Did you know Jim Beam owns a bunch of small batch Bourbons? Nob Creek, Booker, Bakers and Basil Hadens are all Jim Beams bourbons.

Shifty76

Exciting. We're trying to get stuff accomplished the next year with our home (new kitchen) so that we can refiance with some more equity (F U PMI)

We just went through the new kitchen thing ourselves.

Word of advice: Leave your sink in place for as long as you possibly can. 2 months of doing dishes in the laundry room SUCKED

launch consoles are never a good value. getting one is all about buying into the hype and excitement. which is fine but you should be well aware what you're buying into.

that being said I think the kinect is a massive waste and I'm irrationally opposed to ever owning one ever.

Slightly on topic I cut my left pinky finger at work this morning so I've switched force stand still to the space bar. it's an easier configuration to use but it's a nightmare fighting against more than a decade of muscle memory.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Pappy 20 year, Pappy 12 Year, (drank the pappy 10 year), George T Stagg, Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye, High West Rye, Mitcher's Rye, (Drank the Whistle Pig Rye), Four Roses Single Barrel, Noah's Mill, Angel's Envy.

It was larger, but I've since stopped purchashing as many nice bottles. We're both cutting back for that kitchen. Standard Bourbon is Buffalo Trace or the Bulleit Rye. Woodfords is amazing. The guy who does that makes the angels envy I believe. You should look that one up. Russles Reserve is really nice too.

Did you know Jim Beam owns a bunch of small batch Bourbons? Nob Creek, Booker, Bakers and Basil Hadens are all Jim Beams bourbons.

Cool thanks for some of the recommendations, I'll keep an eye out for something new.

Fistwell

Stopped playing forever ago, was to a point where inferno act2 champs and elites would wreck my shit. I logged in yesterday and, surprise-surprise, giant nerf.

Questions: did they only nerf the bedjesus out of act2 or of the entire inferno difficulty? Have they, by any chance, significantly adjusted loot drops in the last 10-12 months? Specifically, do you get useable stuff with any frequency, or is it still a game of getting stuff that's "auction-able," and then using the gold on equipment you can actually use?

Thanks.

Fistwell

All of inferno is nerfed, you can crank difficulty back up with monster power if you want for more xp and magic find.

Loot is same, supposedly gonna be higher quality, less quantity drops in upcoming patch.
Thanks. Where's the monster power slider? Game options or something? ETA on the upcoming patch?

Edit: thanks for the clarifications, guys.

All of inferno is nerfed, you can crank difficulty back up with monster power if you want for more xp and magic find.

Loot is same, supposedly gonna be higher quality, less quantity drops in upcoming patch.

MP is under change quests, and some info on the loot stuff: http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1569-items-20-revamp-in-d3-wont-happen-before-blizzcon

Loots not exactly the same as when he quit. Granted the type of loot hasn't changed (small legendery upgrade from when he played), but loots tables have changed and there's crating ilvl63 slots now so you don't have to AH every item slot. He can also do Ubder runs for helfire rings etc etc. He's not doing MP10 without the AH, but he can probably do up to MP5 without the AH as a realistic goal.

Act II being a giant wall was so far back lol.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Figured out the exp sharing level difference formula I think.

No penalty if within 3 levels (e.g. 1 and 4).

After that, the low level only gets a certain percentage of the exp they would have gotten solo.

% of solo = low / (high - 3)

It fits results so far, just need to finish confirming details. Edit: yup, everything checks out.

Stopped playing forever ago, was to a point where inferno act2 champs and elites would wreck my shit. I logged in yesterday and, surprise-surprise, giant nerf.

I kind of miss the days when Act 2 was the brick wall holding progression of the entire world back. Yes, it was frustrating, annoying and disheartening at times but the satisfaction of achieving something was far higher than anything you can get today. Back then you had to fight for every inch. Elite packs were ten death sentences on your character. They were completely unfair with regenerating health and enrage timers and a bad affix combo could ruin your night but then you'd come back the next day and make it to the next checkpoint and that felt like something. Still remember the day I killed Belial in Inferno for the first time, walked into Act 3 feeling invincible and then got smacked into orbit by the first little green goblin that crossed my path. You thought it couldn't get worse and then it did.

I know... it sounds mildly masochistic to have fond memories of those days and I understand why the nerfs happened but yea, that was something.

I kind of miss the days when Act 2 was the brick wall holding progression of the entire world back. Yes, it was frustrating, annoying and disheartening at times but the satisfaction of achieving something was far higher than anything you can get today. Back then you had to fight for every inch. Elite packs were ten death sentences on your character. They were completely unfair with regenerating health and enrage timers and a bad affix combo could ruin your night but then you'd come back the next day and make it to the next checkpoint and that felt like something. Still remember the day I killed Belial in Inferno for the first time, walked into Act 3 feeling invincible and then got smacked into orbit by the first little green goblin that crossed my path. You thought it couldn't get worse and then it did.

I know... it sounds mildly masochistic to fond memories of those days and I understand why the nerfs happened but yea, that was something.

Totally agree. I miss the days of when games hated you and wanted you to die, I suppose we have Dark Souls for that now!

V_Arnold

I know... it sounds mildly masochistic to have fond memories of those days and I understand why the nerfs happened but yea, that was something.

Yeah, I remember that. It was honestly an awesome, "once in a lifetime" experience. And I was not particularly good at it, either. When I first entered Act2, I got 2-shotted by flies. Then a week of farming and struggling later, I only got 3-shotted, but not good enough. Another week or two passed, and now I went through -albeit slowly-, Act2, and after quite a few tries, Belial was down as well. I remember getting till Siegebreaker before the "biiiig" first Inferno nerf, and I am kinda proud of it. I did not abuse chests and goblin spawns to get there, did not flip items on the AH or luck-sharked awesome items to get there, I just grinded and grinded and microed like hell :p

Yea I got to Ghom before the Inferno nerf. My main was a DH so my playstyle required kiting him around. Problem was, kiting meant that his gas would spread quicker and I was not able to DPS him down before the room filled up. Had to call in a Barb friend to tank him and that kept the gas localized at one spot which made the fight a cake walk. Went on to finish Inferno a couple of days later. And yea, I never exploited the game either (with the shadow walk the DH had) or res chests. Worst I ever did was run away from fights I knew I had no chance of winning.

Hmmmm. The NeoGAF update broke part of my OT :(

Though I haven't maintained it for almost a year now anyway.

Haven't played much D3 at all in recent times, especially with Dota 2 to occupy me. Game still feels kind of hollow in the loot department, which we now know won't be fixed until after Blizzcon. Economy being fucked as hell doesn't help either. Will probably need some massive gold sinks + alternative currencies for some new high end stuff.

Also awful that they still don't have an organized PvP arena system in yet.

Combat is still best in class (even with the odd hit detection stuff), so it's a shame that everything else is/was kind of half-baked.

I'll buy the expansion (not sure if I want to put in the effort to make the OT this go around though), but if that doesn't fully bring it in terms of a revamp I'm out.

What I expect (need) to see:

- At least one new full act in addition to an endless dungeon/maps system or similar.
- Charms/Extended item slots/customization
- More/better gems. Probably needs to be at least two new gem types, that do interesting things. Synergies or similar would also be greatly appreciated
- Skill Rune "leveling" system of some sort. Preferably with a basis in items you have to grind/buy, similar to how the system was beta/pre-beta. Would make end-game so much more enjoyable by allowing more flexibility in builds. Linear levels or a socketed skill tree both acceptable.

That's my short list at least off the top of my head. I'd also like to see things like improved map tile variety/randomness (at least in new areas if not fixed in old). Vanilla D3 the tiles got way too familiar too fast.

Ingeniero

Ok I decided to start a new alt. I have a lvl60 DH but never liked it very much.
So I'm thinking Wizard or WD, maybe both, I wanted Monk first but I already have a melee Barb and I want to change things a bit.

Any "classic" build for a Wiz or WD? I want max DPS and have around 50mill budget for each.

What I expect (need) to see:

- At least one new full act in addition to an endless dungeon/maps system or similar.
- Charms/Extended item slots/customization
- More/better gems. Probably needs to be at least two new gem types, that do interesting things. Synergies or similar would also be greatly appreciated
- Skill Rune "leveling" system of some sort. Preferably with a basis in items you have to grind/buy, similar to how the system was beta/pre-beta. Would make end-game so much more enjoyable by allowing more flexibility in builds. Linear levels or a socketed skill tree both acceptable.

That's my short list at least off the top of my head. I'd also like to see things like improved map tile variety/randomness (at least in new areas if not fixed in old). Vanilla D3 the tiles got way too familiar too fast.

I'd also like to see the addition of gear modification. Adding sockets or other stats to an existing piece of gear would alleviate some of the itemization problems.

And endless dungeon is a must. Not sure why this hasn't been implemented yet. Or the ladder for that matter. Have they ever said anything about ladders?

Fularu

Banned

I cleared inferno on my barb in 1.03, at a time when barbs did 10k damage and tried to tank everything

No, that wasn't super fun :p But it felt great killing Asmodan.

Act IV I rushed through, avoid all elite/champion packs and going straight for the bosses. I only came back for the plans off of the key warden!

Doing Act I Inferno on my HC barb... it's brutal, I almost died 5 times before even reaching the cathedral.

It doesn't help that I have 0 gold to buy anything to help me out of the AH :p

Current stats are :

300 ish all resist, 50k DPS, 4.5k armor and about 43k hp.

I fear going forward, I'm oh so sure I'm going to die :p

I'd also like to see the addition of gear modification. Adding sockets or other stats to an existing piece of gear would alleviate some of the itemization problems.

And endless dungeon is a must. Not sure why this hasn't been implemented yet. Or the ladder for that matter. Have they ever said anything about ladders?

Yeah, forgot to mention ladder. A ladder/league system (ala PoE) would definitely help keep things fresh. Feats of Strength/special cosmetic (or maybe XP gear) for people who place - similar to arena seasons in WoW.

I remember one idea I read somewhere that could be a lot of fun would be a short league where people race to get the best gear they can, then duke it out in a hardcore PvP tournament. I believe people did this ad hoc in DII (with the PvP, not the tournament part) via honor rules.

eek5

I beat the game pre-nerf and used to farm A3. I think the game is still more fun now than it was back then and it can still get challenging if you want it to be. My main issue with the game back at launch is that it was hard but in all the wrong ways. It wasn't challenging because a lot of the mechanics/damage were just absolutely unfair. Things like golgor clap doing 5 million ehp damage were insane

MrDaravon

Yeah the HP isn't ideal, but my point was that I was able to gear to that point for a fraction of the time and cost of other classes. I just messed around with WW/HotA on MP6 and died twice, but both times were only due to me trying to get used to using HotA instead of a fury generator. Hopefully I can finally get a damn glove craft that has either Vit or AR, that largely solves that problem right there anyway with a decent roll on both since that item is my easiest chokepoint to fix (I have neither on my gloves right now).

eek5

Yeah the HP isn't ideal, but my point was that I was able to gear to that point for a fraction of the time and cost of other classes. I just messed around with WW/HotA on MP6 and died twice, but both times were only due to me trying to get used to using HotA instead of a fury generator. Hopefully I can finally get a damn glove craft that has either Vit or AR, that largely solves that problem right there anyway with a decent roll on both since that item is my easiest chokepoint to fix (I have neither on my gloves right now).

Honestly I think that for facerolling on a budget, WD is the best right now. You can farm mp7-9 for around 100 mil or less pretty easily.

The bats buff with the last patch really changed up the optimal builds. I can comfortably farm MP8 and can manage MP9 and 10 if I don't get a string of unlucky elite combinations. And the most I paid for anything on my character is 10 million for a knife. Although I really want a CC Pox.

http://d3up.com/b/695948

MrDaravon

The bats buff with the last patch really changed up the optimal builds. I can comfortably farm MP8 and can manage MP9 and 10 if I don't get a string of unlucky elite combinations. And the most I paid for anything on my character is 10 million for a knife. Although I really want a CC Pox.

http://d3up.com/b/695948

Yeah, I'll have to mess around with a WD at some point, I posted one a while back but people are throwing around MP10 builds that you can put together for 10 mil which is ridiculous. Probably going to take a break from the game for a little bit first though, starting to get kinda burnt out on it and I have an enormous game backlog I need to try to at least chip away at a bit.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Any1 here is able to face tank (do not move) mp10 inferno belial. No invincible actives skills (smoke screen, serenity, sss, spirit walk etc)
Cm wizards are excluded.

None of my char can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom