• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question...
Got a barb to 60 and decked him nicely (unbuffed 140k dps, 40k or a bit more life, lowest tes 680, highest 780)...
Worth it bringing him to paragon 100 or i should wait for pre-expansion patch?

Plus..
Is it worth decking my alt to top gear (my dh is my main and he's loaded), or should i wait?
Sitting on 6bil ATM and i'm undecided whethr to invest Now or wait for last pre-exp patch

I'd guess if you are playing a ton it's probably worth it. Even though personally I'd suggest you cash out soon. Looking at the stats on console n the new items I think anything now even near perfect rolls are going to be eclipsed by a ton of new stuff. If you're not worried by any of that then yea definitely go ahead n deck your alts out. As long as you're still having fun playing it'll always be worth it.

V_Arnold

Imho, "cashing out" is pretty much worthless at this point.

I would suggest to keep on grinding those Paragon levels and get the best possible gear.
What gear you start D3 ROS with is depending on that. Awesome Loot 2.0 stuff wont magically fly to people's backpacks with white/blue gear.

My plan for this:
Come back with Loot 2.0, pre-patch, use my gear and my best ability to be as prepared as possible AND have a nice lv60 str-based gear prepared for the Crusader, and that is it. Grind out at least 3-4 Paragon 60+ characters before the expansion hits, and I will be good to go.

I would agree that cashing out is semi counter productive.

IMO, if you could still farm MP10 after a fire sale, then do it. So really only super super super rich people.

I mean ... Don't you still want to be among the more efficient farmers when loot 2.0 and th expansion hits?

RDreamer

I would agree that cashing out is semi counter productive.

IMO, if you could still farm MP10 after a fire sale, then do it. So really only super super super rich people.

I mean ... Don't you still want to be among the more efficient farmers when loot 2.0 and th expansion hits?

For this reason I'm hoping that loot 2.0 or the expansion come with a new ladder.

Dahbomb

It's better to just keep your gear and farm as much Paragon experience as you can. The players with high Paragon levels are the ones who will have an advantage, not the ones with the better gear. Considering the way the console version is... a 1300 DPS crit/LS + socket Echo Fury is going to be worthless when you have a 1H that is giving Crit damage/LS + socket 400 main stat at 1600 DPS.

I can still farm pretty well. I just sold anything worth over 10 dollars, I'm looking at like 250 total. Thats fine. However the difference between really good stuff and good gear is so small it doesnt make a huge gameplay difference I'm still stomping MP7-8 and can do MP10.

People have been so focused on maximizing DPS that a basic huge tank piece can be found for real cheap.

in the end cashed out the dh, by far the most geared char i own..
cashed quite solidly between ah and rmah and managed to sell all save the amulet so far.. and yeah i had quite some top-end gear :) I didn't play much after paragon level system, but i played a LOT before :p
i spent a billion and re-geared the char enough to handle the expansion levelling (250k unbuffed dps, 35k life, 600 res all around, etc) so it should be allrite anyway..

in the end cashed out the dh, by far the most geared char i own..
cashed quite solidly between ah and rmah and managed to sell all save the amulet so far.. and yeah i had quite some top-end gear :) I didn't play much after paragon level system, but i played a LOT before :p
i spent a billion and re-geared the char enough to handle the expansion levelling (250k unbuffed dps, 35k life, 600 res all around, etc) so it should be allrite anyway..

Thats what I'm saying, especially with all those crafts you can do now, most of the gear on a player isnt even sellable but it can be so good after like twenty crafts you get a solid piece. Weapons are all going to be easily replaced with all these new items that theres no reason to KEEP all your stuff, you're going to get better stuff real quick.

Firstly, I think they will use an account bound ingredient like a Demonic Essence per craft. Except they'll probably introduce a new one since many will have farmed up hundreds of those. Second, I very much doubt they will let you go back to your old affix once you have paid the mystic (unless it shows up in the list). I expect they will show you 3-4 possible affixes which can include useless stuff like +health from globes or something. Basically I'm expecting them to pick 3-4 from the entire list that currently shows up in the auction house filter for any slot.

This still sounds less random than crafting which is why I don't think they will let it through in it's current form.

I'm guessing that the new crafting reagent from salvaging common items will be used for the Mystic's skills. That's actually one of the reasons the redesigned Puzzle Ring is my favorite legendary shown off so far. You're sacrificing getting those items for salvage in exchange for more straight up drops. It'll noticeably affect your play.

Going off topic onto the new legendaries I guess, I think some people are assuming Serpent's Sparker is still running with the current limit on the amount of Hydras you can have, but at the Gamescon conference Josh mentions 'a battlefield of Hydras', so I'm assuming they'll ignore the limit. I think that's a major part of making legendaries build changers as they intend. Imagine a WD legendary or even just affix that increases the amount of Zombie Dogs/Gargantauns you can raise, or having The Three Hundredth Spear turn Weapon Throw into a slightly weaker-than-normal Fury generator and remove the cooldown on Ancient Spear. Simply increasing a skill's damage or giving you more resource generation isn't going to make a legendary feel build changing unless it's by a ridiculous amount.

For this reason I'm hoping that loot 2.0 or the expansion come with a new ladder.

Thinking about it more, gear will probably only benefit during the the loot 2.0 patch yet before the expansion drops. Once the expansion drops, current gear will be useless by the end of the act.

The big difference maker will be paragon as dahbomb stated.

Though I think that's fair. Why should a player who's put time in prior to the expansion not get some sort of a leg up? A player who quit after 2 months two should be on equal footing?

VALKYRAY

Banned
I just cashed out too. then regeared my barb with some cheap stuff, less than 200usd total.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Violentine-1122/hero/31912974

sold all my high end items, most of them gets purchased immediately right after listing at max buyout 250 usd.
notoriously duped items like teeming necklace, ancient serpent etc are still very popular and have very high demand.
even when the exp comes out, these extreme high end items are still hard to beat. ex:
teeming necklace:
23-57 damage
257 str
226 vit
100% crit damage
10% crit chance

Yea I did that on like a smaller scale. I had no 250 dollar items, I had two ~80 dollar items (after fees) and then restocked with lesser but still viable things.

But really any sale where you are making money off digital game items, kinda makes sense.

alife

But really any sale where you are making money off digital game items, kinda makes sense.

Dot.

1. Fire Sale
2. Build budget MP10 toons
3. Still have fun
4. Grind Paragon levels till expansion
5. Expansion launches and you can still wax MP10
6. Be ahead of the curve
7. ?????
8. Profit

Dot.

1. Fire Sale
2. Build budget MP10 toons
3. Still have fun
4. Grind Paragon levels till expansion
5. Expansion launches and you can still wax MP10
6. Be ahead of the curve
7. ?????
8. Profit

Yeah that way you can totally get a head start on the ladd.....oh.

Jedi2016

I just noticed that there are empty spaces in all of the towns where the mystic will eventually set up shop. Looks like the idea's been there since the beginning.

RDreamer

Thinking about it more, gear will probably only benefit during the the loot 2.0 patch yet before the expansion drops. Once the expansion drops, current gear will be useless by the end of the act.

The big difference maker will be paragon as dahbomb stated.

Though I think that's fair. Why should a player who's put time in prior to the expansion not get some sort of a leg up? A player who quit after 2 months two should be on equal footing?

I think if you're doing a major reset of the mechanics of a game, there should probably be some sort of reset. I'm not saying your character gets deleted or something, but I want some way to play fresh, so I can actually enjoy the new mechanics.

It's mostly about fun, though. The fun part of D3 was that first few weeks to couple months when everyone was chasing that carrot on a stick and sometimes you won (got something really nice) and sometimes you didn't, but either way you still kind of felt you were part of the pack just figuring out the mechanics and discovering what works and what doesn't all at the same time.

And as far as fairness, it's just really an odd question since things are far far easier now than back when I heavily played.

Jedi2016

There's actually a TON of foreshadowing in this game. I overhead one of the random quotes from the priest in Tristram (the one that's always babbling on various prophecies and such), and one of the things he said was something along the lines of "Justice must fall so Wisdom can rise", which seems to be a direct reference to Reaper of Souls. Justice meaning Tyreal, and Wisdom being Malthael.

I've heard a couple others that seem to refer to things not yet revealed. I should start writing down the ones that sound important, there's probably clues to the second expac if we know where to look.

Skab

There's actually a TON of foreshadowing in this game. I overhead one of the random quotes from the priest in Tristram (the one that's always babbling on various prophecies and such), and one of the things he said was something along the lines of "Justice must fall so Wisdom can rise", which seems to be a direct reference to Reaper of Souls. Justice meaning Tyreal, and Wisdom being Malthael.

I've heard a couple others that seem to refer to things not yet revealed. I should start writing down the ones that sound important, there's probably clues to the second expac if we know where to look.

That line is about Tyreal falling from heavens, then rising as the aspect of Wisdom.

I just noticed that there are empty spaces in all of the towns where the mystic will eventually set up shop. Looks like the idea's been there since the beginning.

The woman you save from Queen Araneae in Act l, Karyna, actually shares the same model as the Mystic, I believe, with a unique portrait and everything. I imagine before she was cut that she'd join you right there. This is probably what they meant in an interview where they said they'd do minor tweaks and changes to the existing acts in the expansion.

Have they increased legendary drop rates in the past patch? Leveling my DH from 1-8 paragon I've had 3 drop one of which was a set upgrade which never ever happened in all my playtime before that.

If there hasn't it must be the higher mp doing it.

Jedi2016

The woman you save from Queen Araneae in Act l, Karyna, actually shares the same model as the Mystic, I believe, with a unique portrait and everything. I imagine before she was cut that she'd join you right there. This is probably what they meant in an interview where they said they'd do minor tweaks and changes to the existing acts in the expansion.
I was wondering about that. I noticed she had a different model than any other female in the game. That makes more sense now.

Skab

I was wondering about that. I noticed she had a different model than any other female in the game. That makes more sense now.

Yeah, she was already in game for a good little while before they cut her. There was even a couple of dialog videos floating around at one point. Her name was Myriam, and she had a very different voice than the woman you save from the spider queen. There was even a couple of dialog videos floating around. Will see if i can find them....

Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=_34iMzs-wmw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkNKQH63yM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bR5kvA0bo4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4BFwglVXJE

And yeah, her cart locations are very easily spotted in the acts.

Mystic-wagon-upgrades1-4.jpg

I can't image blizz will let all of that work go to waste.

ZenaxPure

What podcasts (if any) do you guys listen to while playing?

It'll sound like the nerdiest shit, but, 60 minutes puts each episode into an audio podcast so I like to listen to that each week. Then I also listen to stuff you should know. As far as video game podcasts go all I listen to nowadays is the bombcast, but, honestly it's not for any gaming related reasons, I just find them entertaining.

mercviper

Hey Fenderputty, and whatever other monks might be kicking around here:

I highly recommend trying out that nirvana spec - it's amazing!

My actual dps with the trusty old FoT/SW build is around 2.5 million or so (base sheet dps 203k)

My actual dps with Nirvana for the window that buffs are up is around 9 million! (base sheet dps 223k - only change in gear is a different helm and an EF in place of WKL)

I'm still optimising gear for the new build but am pretty sure that with a couple of affordable changes I can bump that up to over 10 mil dps.

Of course, dps when nirvana is not up is pretty terrible, but as it is I can finish of most MP10 elite packs in 2 cycles (sometimes 1 cycle), so under 20 secs easy, or under 5 secs if one cycle)

*edit* link to spec is handy: http://d3up.com/b/618190/shyla-nirvana

I looked this build up and man is it mad fun lol. I feel like I'm actually playing a game again instead of falling asleep while farming with the cookie cutter. It did take a while to get used to though especially with how buggy the setup is. You would think that with one monster you would at least get some regen from having one monster tagged while BoH is up, but nope, you get zero. On the other hand, all you need is two tagged and then you get infinite spirit.

Yeah I saw him playing the build this weekend. It looked super fun. I love the pillar. I just haven't had the chance to try because I've been working on paragon for both my SC and HC WD's.

What build were you running before?

iso135

Looking for a little advice. All this talk about Diablo 3 of late (console version) has drawn me back in. I haven't played for 8-9 months. I have a paragon 10ish whirlwind barb (so I know a few of the basics - but I am still a noob.)

What skills and attacks should I be using?

Are there any specific items I should be going for?

Any specific ACT/place to level?

And on a more general note, is it worth trying to max paragon on a Barbarian? Is it still a competant class at top end?

Any help would be appreciated.

mercviper

Yeah I saw him playing the build this weekend. It looked super fun. I love the pillar. I just haven't had the chance to try because I've been working on paragon for both my SC and HC WD's.

What build were you running before?

Before I was doing standard cookie cutter FoT/Cyclone with a Spear/WKL offhand I linked earlier, so that was

FoT - Quickening/Thunderclap
SW - Cyclone
Blinding Light - Faith in the Light
Serenity - Ascension
MoC - Overawe
BoH - Blazing Wrath

with STI, OWE, and Transcendence passives. I only had Transcendence because my LS doesn't heal me for quite enough atm.

Switching to Nirvana I ran

WotHF - Fists of Fury
BoH - Infused with Light
Blinding Light - Faith in the Light
Serenity - Ascension
Wave of Light - Wall of Light/Pillar of the Ancients
Dashing Strike - Quicksilver

with STI, Beacon of Ytar, and Fleet-footed passives. I should probably drop serenity for MoC-Overawe but I'm still getting used to the build so it's nice to have it as a backup plan when I mess up the Nirvana combo or if there's a particularly troublesome pack. I've been running MP7 solo with it, killing most elites within 2 cycles. Treasure goblins drop in one cycle and with Dashing Strike they never get away either.

Still undecided between Wall of Light and Pillar though. With enough ias Pillar is pretty good as it has reduced knockback, and it's like setting up fireworks. I didn't like it at first but when I first tried it I didn't have enough IAS to make it feel worthwhile. On the other hand, machine gunning waves of light around is just plain fun. There's higher knockback but you can just chase every 2 or 3 bells with dashing strike and if you manage to get them against a wall then they aren't going anywhere at all.

Anyway, I love the build because you gain so much mobility compared to FoT/Cyclone and I'm actively clicking everywhere now instead of just moving the mouse around with shift, hitting QWER and letting go of shift when I want to move.

Yeah the knockback seemed a little annoying. I was playing my WD with shifty and the builds seemed counter productive together. Honestly, my my monks modified backlash/EP/cyclone build seemed like it would work great in tandem.

But yeah ... Cookie cutter monk is boring to play. The last patch where they increased the damage output of our spirit spenders was a real boon to the class.

Look int the backlash / ep builds as well. Less mobile, but you get to pull HUGE packs solo and blow everything up. It's also fun.

scy

I should probably drop serenity for MoC-Overawe but I'm still getting used to the build so it's nice to have it as a backup plan when I mess up the Nirvana combo or if there's a particularly troublesome pack.

Frozen Molten Plague Arcane Enchanted everywhere.

Shifty76

Yeah the knockback seemed a little annoying. I was playing my WD with shifty and the builds seemed counter productive together. Honestly, my my monks modified backlash/EP/cyclone build seemed like it would work great in tandem.

But yeah ... Cookie cutter monk is boring to play. The last patch where they increased the damage output of our spirit spenders was a real boon to the class.

Look int the backlash / ep builds as well. Less mobile, but you get to pull HUGE packs solo and blow everything up. It's also fun.

Heh, yeah not the greatest synergy with CoB docs. I thought about switching to vac monk, but...BONGGGGGG is just too much fun. I did try to circle around packs knocking them towards you though :)

Oh, it's been forever, but I finally had an upgrade drop for me! Seems strange to ID items and see green: Quadfecta ring!

E: @ Merc/scy: That's what dashing strike is for! Just hope that they don't have vortex too :/

Oh, also @ Merc: This is what I'd typically run for solo farming. Still has the mobility of DS, plus EP makes things go boom. For group play I'd switch WotHF for cyclone strike soothing breeze and combo strike for guiding light. Also would switch FoT rune to Quickening for the spirit needed to power the build.

Heh, yeah not the greatest synergy with CoB docs. I thought about switching to vac monk, but...BONGGGGGG is just too much fun. I did try to circle around packs knocking them towards you though :)

Oh, it's been forever, but I finally had an upgrade drop for me! Seems strange to ID items and see green: Quadfecta ring!

E: @ Merc/scy: That's what dashing strike is for! Just hope that they don't have vortex too :/

I didn't mind, I wanted too see the build myself. I tried using bears where it felt right too.

I was thinking of swapping myself to cyclone EP to test the cohesiveness of that out with this nirvana build.

Shifty76

I didn't mind, I wanted too see the build myself. I tried using bears where it felt right too.

I was thinking of swapping myself to cyclone EP to test the cohesiveness of that out with this nirvana build.

It works AMAZING - ran it just the other day with a buddy.

But then, most builds work amazing with a cyclone strike/EP monk :)

mercviper

Oh, also @ Merc: This is what I'd typically run for solo farming. Still has the mobility of DS, plus EP makes things go boom. For group play I'd switch WotHF for cyclone strike soothing breeze and combo strike for guiding light. Also would switch FoT rune to Quickening for the spirit needed to power the build.

Dashing strike is amazing. I forgot how much I loved it when I was leveling my monk. Just jumping everywhere and getting out of sticky situations like Jailer affixes on Desecration.

The EP build looks good too but I think to use it I'll have to shift down to MP6 until I get more eHP on my gear. At this point I think I have to get lucky and craft it into my gloves/shoulders for that missing vit/life % roll and better AR. I'll make a few runs with it anyway to see if finderskeepers says I get more xp/hour from that.

For instance, my shoulders are 320 dex, 76 vit, 54 AR, and 239 armor if you include the strength. Do you think it would be cheaper to craft new ones or buy better off the AH?

p.s. BONGGGGG is hella fun :D

mercviper

320 dex wit decent vit and all resis? That's pretty much maxed out dude

Yeah, I know. It would take forever to re-craft another one similar to it with +life%. I just don't know where to get more eHP on my gear.

Here's an updated d3up profile for me when I'm running nirvana. I'm thinking I could reasonably craft new gloves and a better amulet. My shoulders/bracers are practically irreplaceable. The Tal's I have one in my stash with 230 vit and 645 total armor (+210).

http://d3up.com/b/1046114/aang-nirvana

I just don't know where else I would squeeze in more eHP. Rings I guess, but I just paid 10mil total for both of those lol.

I wouldn't craft anything that needs demonic essences right now. Better to save them for the upcoming level 70 crafting/rerolling/etc.

I suppose I should stop. Do we know for sure they aren't introducing a new crafting ingredient set?

Shifty76

Yeah, I know. It would take forever to re-craft another one similar to it with +life%. I just don't know where to get more eHP on my gear.

Here's an updated d3up profile for me when I'm running nirvana. I'm thinking I could reasonably craft new gloves and a better amulet. My shoulders/bracers are practically irreplaceable. The Tal's I have one in my stash with 230 vit and 645 total armor (+210).

http://d3up.com/b/1046114/aang-nirvana

I just don't know where else I would squeeze in more eHP. Rings I guess, but I just paid 10mil total for both of those lol.

I suppose I should stop. Do we know for sure they aren't introducing a new crafting ingredient set?

Amulet for sure could use a boost - particularly in the dps department. Low dex, really low CD, no avg dmg. My crafted one would be 14k more dps and it doesn't even have avg dmg.

Do you normally use OWE? I see you're not running it with nirvana spec. If so, you have a few resists that are mismatched which would give more ehp if you did use OWE.

Gloves you should be able to improve reasonably easily - either via crafts or the AH.

Bracers I actually disagree with your assessment. 3% cc is absolute minimum. I wouldn't settle for any less than 5 there, preferably 5.5 or 6%

Witching hour has no dex at all - big upgrade possible there, though can get expensive with all res.

Pants: that vit is pretty low. Should be able to get something like 100/90 for under 10m.

Your main hand could really use native crit dmg too. You'll find that a lower dps one but with CD will likely give way more dps.

Dashing strike is amazing. I forgot how much I loved it when I was leveling my monk. Just jumping everywhere and getting out of sticky situations like Jailer affixes on Desecration.

The EP build looks good too but I think to use it I'll have to shift down to MP6 until I get more eHP on my gear. At this point I think I have to get lucky and craft it into my gloves/shoulders for that missing vit/life % roll and better AR. I'll make a few runs with it anyway to see if finderskeepers says I get more xp/hour from that.

For instance, my shoulders are 320 dex, 76 vit, 54 AR, and 239 armor if you include the strength. Do you think it would be cheaper to craft new ones or buy better off the AH?

p.s. BONGGGGG is hella fun :D

The EP build with backlash requires that you have a good amount of sustain. EHP are important, but what's required is two LS weapons. If you have two LS weapons, the procs on backlash bring in tons of life when pulling massive packs. Basically, I can run around fields of misery agro'ing everything and then cyclone them all in. I don't even need to hit things to stay alive at this point. It's crazy how much sustain backlash brings in. It's actually one of the reasons I was able to farm MP10 with my monk. Once things surround you, lay out a couple EP's and Cyclones and watch the whole group of mobs explode.

Prior to this build I was running MP8-9 solo.

One of the reasons I've not tried this Nirvana build is because I think I would need to re-tool back in a ton of EHP i don't have. I run pretty lean on EHP. I also run without serenity or OWE.

Either way it's good you're branching our from cookie cutter monk builds regardless of flavor.

mercviper

Amulet for sure could use a boost - particularly in the dps department. Low dex, really low CD, no avg dmg. My crafted one would be 14k more dps and it doesn't even have avg dmg.

Do you normally use OWE? I see you're not running it with nirvana spec. If so, you have a few resists that are mismatched which would give more ehp if you did use OWE.

Gloves you should be able to improve reasonably easily - either via crafts or the AH.

Bracers I actually disagree with your assessment. 3% cc is absolute minimum. I wouldn't settle for any less than 5 there, preferably 5.5 or 6%

Witching hour has no dex at all - big upgrade possible there, though can get expensive with all res.

Pants: that vit is pretty low. Should be able to get something like 100/90 for under 10m.

Your main hand could really use native crit dmg too. You'll find that a lower dps one but with CD will likely give way more dps.

I had OWE in my earlier spec, but I'm trying to gear out of it because there's a lot of viable monk passives.

I have been crafting gloves and amulets non-stop and haven't gotten anything better yet. Well the first amulet I found after coming back was super good, quadfecta, but I cashed it in for 103mil so I could upgrade all my other slots. It's why I had more than 4mil gold in the first place lol. Anyway, I've got 50mil left of that and I'm wondering if it'll be better to just buy better ones straight up than spend the gold crafting hoping for the best.

Bracers were an early craft and yes, I hate that it's 3% crit, but I'm putting all my essences/tomes into gloves/amulets atm and it's slowly draining my income even with selling all the blues I pick up.

Pants: Wow I feel ripped off. When I checked for it a couple days the ones I have now cost me 6mil and it seemed like a great deal. -_-

Yeah the MH was something I bought for super cheap to try out the spec since I still have the spear and that wouldn't do for Nirvana/bells at all. The EF I got for 70k and the MH I won for 500k. I consider them trial weapons and I'm definitely looking for better ones if I decide to stick with it.

The EP build with backlash requires that you have a good amount of sustain. EHP are important, but what's required is two LS weapons. If you have two LS weapons, the procs on backlash bring in tons of life when pulling massive packs. Basically, I can run around fields of misery agro'ing everything and then cyclone them all in. I don't even need to hit things to stay alive at this point. It's crazy how much sustain backlash brings in. It's actually one of the reasons I was able to farm MP10 with my monk. Once things surround you, lay out a couple EP's and Cyclones and watch the whole group of mobs explode.

One of the reasons I've not tried this Nirvana build is because I think I would need to re-tool back in a ton of EHP i don't have. I run pretty lean on EHP. I also run without serenity or OWE.

Either way it's good you're branching our from cookie cutter monk builds regardless of flavor.
This also sounds like tons of fun and I totally need to gear a starter set for this too, though I think I can just use the spear/EF I have to get the LS going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom