• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Legendary/Ring that allows you to have all Runes for a single skill active at once has to be the most broken shit I have ever seen.

Fucking awesome!

More sane answer is that it's for lower level characters and it allows you access to runes that you otherwise wouldn't have unlocked yet.

Anyway - leaked stuff sounds decent. Still baffling why these kinds of things weren't in vanilla release. Oh well. Final judgment reserved until it actually ships though.

Looks like elemental effects are coming back, with minor alterations. Arcane now seems to have a chance to charm on hit.

Something they didn't mention before was this Devil's Hand feature. Seems like you collect various artifacts from specific bosses, uniques, and enemies, and turn them all in for a legendary. You can chance fate and reroll for a different legendary, but you're stuck with the second roll if you chose to use it.

I think one of the most important things is they're featuring an all new Adventure Mode for the Loot Runs, Nephalem Trials, Devil's Hand quests, etc. The strings label it as OpenWorld, and when an event starts, it says the world is about to be reset. I'm optimistic that Adventure Mode will be a storyless mode where you can freely travel between acts now.

turnbuckle

leaked stuff sounds better than I could have even come up with daydreaming about what I'd like to see in the game. I don't mind the always online and like the auction house so I don't have to temper my excitement on those points.

if this game is anything close to what is being leaked I think Diablo 3 will go from one of the most hated games to the most loved. some people won't change their minds, but you can't please everybody!

Fularu

Banned
Meh most people hate it from an ideollogy standpoint and not because it's a game worth hating.

It's not what they want and never will be.

RoS sounds awsome so far

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
leaked stuff sounds better than I could have even come up with daydreaming about what I'd like to see in the game. I don't mind the always online and like the auction house so I don't have to temper my excitement on those points.

if this game is anything close to what is being leaked I think Diablo 3 will go from one of the most hated games to the most loved. some people won't change their minds, but you can't please everybody!

Yep. We may get a sequel worthy of Diablo II yet! Looking very forward to what the next year brings for Diablo III, as all of this stuff sounds like a huge move in the right direction.

V_Arnold

Let me just say that I LOVE the new director of Diablo III. I instantly knew that Blizzard would not put the console lead designer into the same position for PC if he did not have a good grasp on what the game should be.

And based on the stuff that got into the console versions (especially the Nephalem Globe), it is a great direction with them. Ladders are pretty much guaranteed at this point, which is AWESOME.

That ring is a direct example of an item that doesn't have any main stat or damage modifiers, yet is still totally rad an something I would want.

Fularu

Banned
That ring is a direct example of an item that doesn't have any main stat or damage modifiers, yet is still totally rad an something I would want.
We don't know that. Those are just special abilities found on legendaries. As such they can probably still roll main stat/vit/CC/cd/IAS/etc

At least they should

Dahbomb

Yea IF that affix actually makes it into the game my guess is that it's only going to apply to skills that are already useless or don't require much animation changes between runes.

BTW there's a Legendary affix that has Exploding Palm explode for 100% HP of an enemy.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Any interest in powerleveling some alts this weekend?

I remember a group of us GAFFERS doing it last year but I don't think anyone from back then even plays anymore.

Mystic Scrolls may be a way of adding a specific stat to an item. Seems to be limited to the core stats, although a Molten Scroll is listed. Maybe more affixes are becoming available on rare items, or it could be a legendary-only reroll.

And if Reforging is anything like WoW, it allows you to reduce one stat on the item and boost another. It seems like it costs item durability here, though.

Yea IF that affix actually makes it into the game my guess is that it's only going to apply to skills that are already useless or don't require much animation changes between runes.

BTW there's a Legendary affix that has Exploding Palm explode for 100% HP of an enemy.

:O

Skab

ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_520_x1 - Chance on hit to summon a herd of murderous cows.

This sounds hilarious.

Edit: Omg. In datamined character portraits, there are ones for
Baal and Meph!

Shifty76

I think the only problem I have with nirvana is how buggy the setup is. The spec requires you to tag 2 monsters with WotHF-FoF to work at all, which is counter-intuitive to the skill descriptions of the FoF rune combined with BoH's Infused with Light. In addition to that, not only do you have to tag 2 monsters, you can't just use one attack to AoE a grouped up pack, it requires 2 attacks minimum. You also can't just hold down WotHF to tag a group twice in quick succession, it's required to click a second time for the second tag.

I've been playing this spec exclusively for the past month or so and I don't find this to be true at all. I just hold down WotHF and make sure that the 2nd hit of the combo hits at least 2 different targets.

Oh, one recommendation: Switch Pacifism for Exalted Soul. That'll give you an additional 3 bells once Nirvana wears off which can make all the difference. You had dashing strike to get out of cc effects (except feared) so Pacifism seems like a waste of a valuable skill slot.

mercviper

I've been playing this spec exclusively for the past month or so and I don't find this to be true at all. I just hold down WotHF and make sure that the 2nd hit of the combo hits at least 2 different targets.

Oh, one recommendation: Switch Pacifism for Exalted Soul. That'll give you an additional 3 bells once Nirvana wears off which can make all the difference. You had dashing strike to get out of cc effects (except feared) so Pacifism seems like a waste of a valuable skill slot.

What you said doesn't invalidate my findings. The second hit on a second target will work yes, but not on the same target. However, it will work on the same target if you actually click on the original target instead of holding it down. There's nothing wrong with that, I just find it really weird and it feels 'buggy' because of it.

edit: Did some more testing and the clicking thing doesn't actually work, so I must've been screwing that up and hitting different targets. aka I'm just bad at the game. My general impression is still that it feels buggy though, if only for there to be zero spirit regen at one target and super fast regen at two.

I had Exalted Soul for a bit and it's nice having an extra bell but I didn't find it to be gamebreaking. I like pacifism because sometimes there just isn't a safe place to jump away from frozen and well, fear sucks. Also I'm just bad at this game so I get frozen by stuff a fair amount.

Shifty76

What you said doesn't invalidate my findings. The second hit on a second target will work yes, but not on the same target. However, it will work on the same target if you actually click on the original target instead of holding it down. There's nothing wrong with that, I just find it really weird and it feels 'buggy' because of it.

edit: Did some more testing and the clicking thing doesn't actually work, so I must've been screwing that up and hitting different targets. aka I'm just bad at the game. My general impression is still that it feels buggy though, if only for there to be zero spirit regen at one target and super fast regen at two.

I had Exalted Soul for a bit and it's nice having an extra bell but I didn't find it to be gamebreaking. I like pacifism because sometimes there just isn't a safe place to jump away from frozen and well, fear sucks. Also I'm just bad at this game so I get frozen by stuff a fair amount.

WIth freeze balls you don't actually have to dash away

Provided you are mid-dash when the balls explode, you won't get frozen :)

Unfortunately, fear is the one cc ability that dashing strike can't help with. HATE getting feared right after hitting BoH!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
maybe they'll add endless dungeons with that adventure mode thing and we can choose the pony level as the art.

That reminds me - did they increase the pony level mob density? Is it worth doing at the end of an Act 1 run?

I went to the pony level last night after a long time (a year+). I might be wrong but it doesn't seem like the density is higher.

As a matter of coincidence, my DH and barb both have the same sheet DPS now. The barb cruises through MP8 and can hold his own in MP10 while the DH starts having trouble in MP7-8 itself. I know everyone has a different definition of what MP they consider playable with what stats but the difference in 'power' of the 2 classes is very noticeable and it's something you have to see to believe. I really do hope they rework the DH class for the expansion to bring some parity to the situation.

That Legendary/Ring that allows you to have all Runes for a single skill active at once has to be the most broken shit I have ever seen.

Fucking awesome!

I think it works the way you could use all the runes but in different skill keys, not 1 skill with all the rune effects at the same time...

i.e a WD with more than one type of dogs at the same time ....

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Edit: Omg. In datamined character portraits, there are ones for
Baal and Meph!

Obviously they are new followers that join us in our quest to take out Malthael.

V_Arnold

I don't think the xpac will release that late.

Jan for the pre expansion patch, then 2 months later tops the xpac drops.

They won't let the game go almost a year with 0 patches.

Meh. I am realistic now, I was amongst the few who believed in a 2011 december release date for D3 Vanilla till the very last moment.

At the end of the day though, IF the devteam needs a few more months of fine tuning to make sure that the expansion is absolutely fantastic instead of a slightly flawed fantastic, I am sure that they will have that time. They need all the time they have in order to recapture their audience. In that regard, Diablo' s franchise power hangs in the balance more than WoW's ever did, no matter when the next expansion comes.

Also, it is a possibility that WoW expansion will come in january-february and D3 Expansion at May. But if it is the other way around, then I will be happy, thanks :)
(Besides, A Loot 2.0 patch is on a lock for 2013, imho!)

Assuming the content wasn't uploaded through a CDN just to generate hype, it could mean that they're gearing up for the friends and family alpha, as they wouldn't need to do so for internal testing. If such is the case, a Loot 2.0 PTR and RoS beta seems likely for this year. IIRC, the D3 alpha was very short compared to the usual 2-3 months of Blizzard alphas, this one only lasting a few weeks.

I know a lot of people are skeptical after D3's development hell and 8-month long beta, but I'd chalk it up to the original team just lacking a coherent, strong vision for the game and iterating far too much. Look at how many systems were constantly changed and scrapped over the course of development. Time that could have gone into creating a more meaty endgame was put into revamping skills, runes, PvP, etc. over and over. Mosquiera seems to have a much more clear (and audience accepted) vision for the future of Diablo, and less time working on the same systems over and over means a quicker development cycle. If we see a PTR and beta launched shortly after BlizzCon, I'll be confident in them hitting a Q2 2014 release.

Dahbomb

Oh man, the list of skill changes on PTR is coming... this is going to be very interesting.

http://media.diablofans.com/images/news/exp/incoming.jpg
(spoiler image)

BTW, Blizzard confirmed it wasn't a leak or anything, they just have an early beta up on PTR for a few testers but the files were available for anyone to download as usual.
Is this for a PTR or is this for the expansion?

Some people seem to think that they are reducing skills to 3 runes as compared to 5 runes. I wonder what people think about that.

Skab

Is this for a PTR or is this for the expansion?

Some people seem to think that they are reducing skills to 3 runes as compared to 5 runes. I wonder what people think about that.

They only think that because there are only 3 listed in that screen. But I'm pretty sure when diablo fans posts change logs like that, they dont include things that haven't been changed.

So I'm pretty sure we're still getting 5.

scy

Just seems like a lot of free Crit was removed/reduced across the board and no more infinite WotB or Archon. Makes me wonder about some of the more "behind the scenes" numbers involved (e.g., proc coefficients). Basically, are you okay Critical Mass? pls respond pls.

Then again, Frozen Orb is back failure to care about anything else possibly.

Also:

This rune is not yet implemented. : If you have ideas please email them to Andrew Chambers .

ZenaxPure

Just seems like a lot of free Crit was removed/reduced across the board and no more infinite WotB or Archon.

I haven't read through all of it yet, but, the only thing that looks like it will have major ramifications on ww barb is them killing the into the fray rune. I agree with a lot of the changes because 1) I hate infinite wotb, removes a lot of the fun of fighting elites and 2) even in crap gear my barb can reach like 70% crit no problem. Some of those abilities are better off with nerfs because of the new paragon system (it would be way to easy to reach 100% crit probably) But, killing into the fray makes it look like ww barb can't function correctly.

For me that is literally a game killer, ww barb is the most fun thing in the game as far as I am concerned and without it I am not that interested in buying the expansion or any of the new features. I hope they change their mind on that front or give ww a way to spin for extended periods of time without having to bash often.

I actually like the new hurricane rune as well to be honest.

Dahbomb

DHs got a lot of nerfs, a lot of them towards their life steal moves. They got their useless moves buffed but nothing about them looks outstanding right now. Seems like Blizzard wants DHs to use companions and Ballistics/missiles.

For Barbs they basically nerfed the free crit passives, free life steals and free wrath generators along with WotB being up forever. Hurricane and Into the Fray reworked... RIP in peace WW Sprint Barbs.

Monks overall got buffed. A lot of their healing spells/abilities scale with gear so you can probably get by without having life steal. Dashing Strike basically got reworked looks much better. None of the big Monk builds got nerfed, Nirvana still looks good in fact better than ever, Tempest build still good as well. No changes to Sweeping Wind aside from buffs. No nerf to OWE either. Inner Sanctuary was their one true useless move and it got buffs plus some runes reworked (still don't think anyone will use this skill).

Wizard got a lot of cool reworks and new abilities (Frozen Orb, Scorched Orb, Black Hole etc). No nerf to Critical Mass but Archon mode got nerfed hard, no way to have the mode up for long times similar to WotB. Still should be a powerful class.

Skab

For what it's worth, Glacial Spike is also back as a magic missile rune.

Holy crap, Pile On no longer knocks back.

That means that crazy 0 cooldown zombie wall build i made a few weeks ago might actually be useful.

Ashodin

DHs got a lot of nerfs, a lot of them towards their life steal moves. They got their useless moves buffed but nothing about them looks outstanding right now. Seems like Blizzard wants DHs to use companions and Ballistics/missiles.
All my shit got buffed, what you talkin about son!

I don't know why DHs would need to be nerfed...they're already on the lower end of the totem pole. And even when Inferno was hard, I didn't particularly enjoy Smokescreen/Gloom spam, even if effective.

On the other hand, going into the expansion I'd probably switch to Barb/Wizard. Barb is 60 but with shitty gear and like PL2, so he's fairly set. Wizard is 53 or something - needs to clear the last couple acts of Hell.

scy

To be fair, Life Steal for free across the board got nerfed. Same for most of the free Damage Resistance% stuff.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Whoa barbs got destroyed.

Battle.net forums must be just insane at the moment.

Monks made out like bandits. Teleport now part of the base FoT.

I approve of that "this effect has a 60 second cooldown" wording on near death experience and similar passives.

Deadly reach: Every third hit has a 30% chance to knock up enemies.
Haha

I'm trying to farm as many paragon levels as possible for the expansion. Should I keep concentrating on 1 toon until its 100 or is there a better point to stop at and switch toons?

IceMarker

I have returned to the thread!

Dat expansion.

Dat spoiler-info.

Dat rekindling my interest.

EDIT: Ha I actually have had two GAF friend requests in D3 since I last logged in over 100 days ago.
and 3 spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom