• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monks, a little help please. Which of these 3 weapons would you suggest I equip?

rLlVmF2.jpg

I was thinking dual lifesteal is the way to go but I got that yellow fist weapon for 1400gold (the seller listed it for half of it's vendor price). Sheet DPS shows that the WKL is behind but of course the bonus damage to fists and sw should help a bit.

Random story... a friend of mine messages me on Steam saying I play too much Diablo 3. I get to talking to him and he hasn't played for a long time. In fact, he says that he only played the campaign once or twice and left it. I then look at his profile and he has a paragon 75 monk on it with 233 hours spent. He checks and his account password hasn't been changed and he's convinced it hasn't been hacked. I see a level 1 character with gold seller name so I think it was but if it was hacked, the person left the some pretty decent gear on the character. The monk also hasn't completed anything in inferno (which could be a sign of someone using a bot?). It's all a complete mystery. This is his profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/whoodoo-1318/hero/3460811

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Random story... a friend of mine messages me on Steam saying I play too much Diablo 3. I get to talking to him and he hasn't played for a long time. In fact, he says that he only played the campaign once or twice and left it. I then look at his profile and he has a paragon 75 monk on it with 233 hours spent. He checks and his account password hasn't been changed and he's convinced it hasn't been hacked. I see a level 1 character with gold seller name so I think it was but if it was hacked, the person left the some pretty decent gear on the character. The monk also hasn't completed anything in inferno (which could be a sign of someone using a bot?). It's all a complete mystery. This is his profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/whoodoo-1318/hero/3460811

Someone got his password and has been botting with the account since then. They just didn't bother to change the password.

If you're using FoT and sweeping wind then the WKL would destroy any of those other weapons, and it wouldn't even be close.

Yep using both Fists and SW.

Which of the other two is a better choice for the offhand slot? So far I've managed pretty well with a single lifesteal weapon but with dual lifesteal I could probably drop serenity for wave of light or something. And the stun on the sickle is nice but it's a 7k dps drop compared to the rare.

Shifty76

Yep using both Fists and SW.

Which of the other two is a better choice for the offhand slot? So far I've managed pretty well with a single lifesteal weapon but with dual lifesteal I could probably drop serenity for wave of light or something. And the stun on the sickle is nice but it's a 7k dps drop compared to the rare.

I'd use WKL as the offhand. If you do decide to run bells then that uses mainhand dmg to calculate bell dmg so you generally want your higher dps weapon on mainhand.

If you can get by fine with single LS then sure - run the fist. For cookie cutter FoT/SW spec though I absolutely love dual LS. Ran with a sickle myself for a long time (heh, as you can see from my outdated avatar!). A word of warning with that sickle in particular though: Consider any vit on weapons a bonus, and don't drop vit elsewhere as a result of it as that makes switching the weapon out really tricky as you then need to go find vit on other pieces of gear

I'll try both and see which one feels better. I could definitely use a better sickle but I'm not inclined to pay 35m for a 50dps increase over the one I already have.

Shifty76

I'll try both and see which one feels better. I could definitely use a better sickle but I'm not inclined to pay 35m for a 50dps increase over the one I already have.

You on US server?

There's a 945 dps sword listed for 15m that has 84% CD, 2.9% LS and socket which should be a decent upgrade (simulate on d3up before buying!)

If I have 50K DPS and 350K EHP, what is a good MP level to start my Inferno playthrough with? I'm new to all of this number crunching stuff and have become extremely addicted to this game as of late.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That one doesnt have a bid, thats obviously the opening bid amount noone has taken. That person is just dreaming. Meanwhile one near as good for 6.5 Mill opening and buyout bid noone has taken. Which might not be a terrible price, but why not just get a better Skorn at that point?

The rest of the items in that vicinity with those stats are under a 1million. Those ones are fairly priced, but still not a great weapon as you can get much better things for 2 handers...

Yeah, I see that now, I was looking at the minimum bid not an actual bid. Ah well, guess I got excited at the prospect of gold jingling in my account for a change, LOL.

I hit 60 with my monk this weekend, my third class to 60. Now I only have my baby witch doctor and demon hunter to level up. I had planned on getting one of every class up to 60 before RoS but now I've changed my plan. Since we are getting ladder afterall, I am instead going to save the WD and DH to play as ladder characters down the road (no reason to play a class all the way up twice). Instead, until RoS releases, I'm going to grind paragon levels on the three 60's I have now.

You on US server?

There's a 945 dps sword listed for 15m that has 84% CD, 2.9% LS and socket which should be a decent upgrade (simulate on d3up before buying!)

Yea I'm on NA SC but I missed the one you mentioned. I did pick up a slightly better sickle with 190dex and 2.7LS though. It was the single highest dps upgrade I could find below 25m. Will run that for a while and see how it goes.

If I have 50K DPS and 350K EHP, what is a good MP level to start my Inferno playthrough with? I'm new to all of this number crunching stuff and have become extremely addicted to this game as of late.

I think it depends on your class. Monks and barbs have an easier time than the others. I'd start at MP2 or 3 and see if you have any trouble. You really should look into increasing your DPS though.

I hit 60 with my monk this weekend, my third class to 60. Now I only have my baby witch doctor and demon hunter to level up. I had planned on getting one of every class up to 60 before RoS but now I've changed my plan. Since we are getting ladder afterall, I am instead going to save the WD and DH to play as ladder characters down the road (no reason to play a class all the way up twice). Instead, until RoS releases, I'm going to grind paragon levels on the three 60's I have now.

But there's the crusader to level up in the ladder! I got all 5 classes to 60 because it's really fast if you have friends to help and the variety of play styles keeps the game interesting. If you have a friend who is willing to properly powerlevel you then you can probably get to 60 in less than 5 hours.

I've been leveling both HC and SC WD for a while now since my monk is p100. Playing two WD's has been wearing me thin though. I think I would like to level another class to 60. Not sure which class though. I'm thinking ill level a crusader later so probably not barb.

A DH could use some of my monk gear though which would at least be cheaper ....

Shifty76

Really depends which class.

My 220k dps DH for example clears about 75% slower than my 200k dps monk, and my 500k buffed dps barb is also a little slower than my monk.

Dahbomb

Anyone here think that Blizzard is going to remove life steal completely from D3 with the expansion?

I for one am for it. Would make a bunch of other affixes more worthwhile and free up a slot on Legendaries for more interesting stuff. Would also promote more skillful play and build making rather than just getting high DPS with life steal and keep attacking even at low health.

Right now classes only get life steal from weapons amd skills (in the case.of Barbs they get LS from Mighty Belt too). Now that its a big chance that LS is being removes from skills completely, it makes less sense to have them on regular weapons. If they remove LS from skills but keep them on weapons that just drives the demand of LS way up. We all know that in the expansion DPS will be way higher and thus LS will be even more effective.

If they remove LS from skills but keep them on weapons that just drives the demand of LS way up. We all know that in the expansion DPS will be way higher and thus LS will be even more effective.

Everything else (i.e. enemy health and incoming damage) will scale up in the expansion as well. I don't see why you think they should remove lifesteal altogether. If they think it's too important/overused then it can be balanced (like IAS was early on) but then one could make the exact same case for CC and CD as well. You also have to start rethinking game mechanics without lifesteal. For example, how is a melee character supposed to fight an elite enemy who permanently stands in a pool of acid or fire? How are you supposed to counter the affix combos like fear sending you into ice explosion while there's poison under you? Are they supposed to remove potion cooldowns like D2?

Dahbomb

Everything else (i.e. enemy health and incoming damage) will scale up in the expansion as well. I don't see why you think they should remove lifesteal altogether. If they think it's too important/overused then it can be balanced (like IAS was early on) but then one could make the exact same case for CC and CD as well. You also have to start rethinking game mechanics without lifesteal. For example, how is a melee character supposed to fight an elite enemy who permanently stands in a pool of acid or fire? How are you supposed to counter the affix combos like fear sending you into ice explosion while there's poison under you? Are they supposed to remove potion cooldowns like D2?
CC is already being balanced, most likely same for CD if the skill patchlog was any indication.

We all know enemy health/damage will go up but my point is that LS becomes proportionally more and more effective as you start piling on the DPS. It's why LS is not that good in low level D3 but at high level it has become essential.

As to your question about how melee characters are supposed to fight those pool enemies, there's a bunch of answers to that. They can start having more resistances, more vitality, more health globe bonuses, more life Regen or god forbid actually have some healing spells/passives on them. We used to play without LS in Inferno back when it was difficult and you defeated those types of monster affixes by playing smart and not just derping your way into a massive crowd of enemies as a melee character.

As far as getting jammed in ice while being taking damage from poison, that's what spells like Serenity are for. You aren't going to be frozen all the time especially if you move around. Or you can also *gasp* invest in crowd control reduction affixes. Or you can start using crowd control skills yourself and kill enemies while they are stunned.

I am 100% sure that players will figure out ways to sustain themselves even in MP10... especially with Legendary affixes that COMPLETELY negate, even heal you for specific elemental attacks. Life steal as an all encompassing answer to sustain is boring especially when you can't even get it on non weapon gear (except Barbs). It marginalizes like 10 other defensive affixes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That gem picture just renews my frustration of how crappy the socket/gem system is and how, despite RoS looking like it is really doing a lot to fix or at least mitigate the current issues with the game, that whole mechanic is being left shitty and boring.

CC is already being balanced, most likely same for CD if the skill patchlog was any indication.

We all know enemy health/damage will go up but my point is that LS becomes proportionally more and more effective as you start piling on the DPS. It's why LS is not that good in low level D3 but at high level it has become essential.

As to your question about how melee characters are supposed to fight those pool enemies, there's a bunch of answers to that. They can start having more resistances, more vitality, more health globe bonuses, more life Regen or god forbid actually have some healing spells/passives on them. We used to play without LS in Inferno back when it was difficult and you defeated those types of monster affixes by playing smart and not just derping your way into a massive crowd of enemies as a melee character.

As far as getting jammed in ice while being taking damage from poison, that's what spells like Serenity are for. You aren't going to be frozen all the time especially if you move around. Or you can also *gasp* invest in crowd control reduction affixes. Or you can start using crowd control skills yourself and kill enemies while they are stunned.

I am 100% sure that players will figure out ways to sustain themselves even in MP10... especially with Legendary affixes that COMPLETELY negate, even heal you for specific elemental attacks. Life steal as an all encompassing answer to sustain is boring especially when you can't even get it on non weapon gear (except Barbs). It marginalizes like 10 other defensive affixes.

It seems like ur describing a game that we played prior to the realization that the developers wanted us to play offensively minded. I mean shit ... Shields used to be worth something at one point too.

The developers always had a DPS target for us to hit in inferno. That's why they nerfed it's effectiveness in inferno. They knew our DPS was going to shoot up and new it's potential before we did.

IMO, you just continue to scale it's effectiveness if need be. Maybe have it scale on MP level or some shit. It's not like its OP right now. Even with sustain, I can't ignore stacked plague pools on mp10. I get frozen I'm done too if I'm in the fray. It's not some mindless whacking away like u make it seem. At least not for me.

I just think this convo is funny because I remember when LS was largely usless.

I think removing lifesteal is just reducing affix variety. Forcing melee classes to use serenity or ignore pain is going to trade one necessity for another. Play a DH and you won't find a build without gloom because people have no choice but to spec into it and that's not really fun. Forcing them to gear more defensively means they will have to give up damage and the net result is the game will go slower, which is also less fun. If you think lifesteal is a crutch and you used to 'play smart in old inferno without it' then by all means you can ignore lifesteal and continue to 'play smart'.

I also don't know why anyone thinks lifesteal will scale better than health or incoming damage. You will have higher personal dps so the absolute amount of health returned will be higher but your health pool will also be significantly higher so in the end it'll still return the same percentage of your health as it does now. And you'll need that because enemies will be hitting harder. I remember LOH used to be favored over LS earlier on because no one had the damage to make LS better. Then damage increased but health capped out at 50-60k and enemy damage was nerfed which is why LS scaled much better. They are changing the builds that allow you to exploit this so again I don't see why anyone would want less variety in the game.

V_Arnold

LS's presence in itself reduces affix variety by forcing players to use it on their main hand weapon (or in the case of lucky dw-capable classes, at least one of them).

All they need to do is introduce LS-containing stuff on other slots (not on belt/weapons) and the problem will go away naturally, but I feel like the skill changes, taken out of context, would simply cement LS as the "must have stat" on weapons, even more than it already is. We will need to see the context: the new legendaries and the lv70 affix pools.

Yea I can agree to with that idea. And not just for lifesteal. Let more slots roll stats that they can't so that you aren't pigeonholed into looking for specific ones on specific items only. Let shoulders and pants roll offensive stats. Let jewelry roll defensive stats (they already do actually but everyone goes all offensive on jewelry because they need to). It would promote gear diversity by allowing people to mix and match where they get their dps or ehp from and I can't see any downside to it. Put in a hard cap if it becomes game breaking (like if someone geared full LS or something).

Dahbomb

LS's presence in itself reduces affix variety by forcing players to use it on their main hand weapon (or in the case of lucky dw-capable classes, at least one of them).

All they need to do is introduce LS-containing stuff on other slots (not on belt/weapons) and the problem will go away naturally, but I feel like the skill changes, taken out of context, would simply cement LS as the "must have stat" on weapons, even more than it already is. We will need to see the context: the new legendaries and the lv70 affix pools.
That's pretty much what I am saying. Either make LS available on other gear like LoH or just remove it altogether. The fact that they removed LS from skills means there is more pressure on weapons to roll LS or they are considered garbage.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/

Holy shit. Wonder if there's anything worth stocking up on that you'd otherwise go crazy farming yourself (like Tomes or gems maybe).

If they make higher tier gems easier to get (via lowering cost, increasing money drops, or allowing them to drop), then no. Otherwise, I'd stock up on gems because they are a BITCH and super expensive. I've spent $10 on some extra gold just to have it since it's cheap and it can't hurt to have. I imagine it will go even cheaper as the date gets closer and folks are trying to make what little bit of extra real money they can.

ZenaxPure

Holy shit. Wonder if there's anything worth stocking up on that you'd otherwise go crazy farming yourself (like Tomes or gems maybe).

This is what I am curious about. And, while I wouldn't really take this as me defending the AH per se, but, I am really curious about how this will effect things going forward for just gearing in general. To be honest the main reason I've never cared about the AH as I honestly don't give a shit about going after loot, I stuck with D3 because of the fun combat. The AH just meant I could get into that combat with less annoyance.

I hope loot 2.0 will actually allow you to get a good set without much hassle because the thing I've found most exciting about the expansion is all the different challenge-like modes they will be adding (which I've been begging for like forever now). I don't really want to have to grind out gear for a while before I get a character to a point where they do good damage and don't die constantly.

If they make higher tier gems easier to get (via lowering cost, increasing money drops, or allowing them to drop), then no. Otherwise, I'd stock up on gems because they are a BITCH and super expensive. I've spent $10 on some extra gold just to have it since it's cheap and it can't hurt to have. I imagine it will go even cheaper as the date gets closer and folks are trying to make what little bit of extra real money they can.

It's hard to decide on gems because we don't know what changes will come to the gem system in ROS. It's entirely possible new gems will render current ones completely obsolete and a waste of money.

As for the gold price, I could make the argument that prices will go up as it will be the last chance for people to buy gold in a legit and safe manner. On the other hand, people have less use for gold now because trading is about to take a major hit.

It'll definitely be interesting to watch the consequences of this change.

Dahbomb

Gold is not going to be worth much in the expansion anyway. It's pointless to hoard up on gold.

I would say get a lot of Rubies right now but I am sure the prices for those are sky rocketing as we speak. At the very least spend your golds now on items like gems, Brimstones, Tomes etc. Spending gold now on gear (unless you want to Paragon farm) is a stupid idea because that gear is going to be worthless by the time the expansion comes.

Even if say they introduce a new tier of gem past Marquise... your Radiant Star Rubies will still be useful to upgrade into Marquise plus whatever the next tiers are.

Loginius

To be honest the main reason I've never cared about the AH as I honestly don't give a shit about going after loot,
Explains why you were so baffled when I told you that the ah should not be in this game.

Glad to see Blizzard take such bold steps.
Nothing but good news since the announcement of RoS.

Radec

So....

how will this affect the AH now?

Gems going up?
Crafting Ingredients?

I think so since everyone will rely on drops now (and handful of trades)

I wonder if you can speculate anything about the ROS release date from this AH shutdown date of March 18. I'm thinking that will be around the time the pre-ROS patch hits.

Dahbomb

Anything that isn't gear will go up in price dramatically for the next few weeks or so. People are going to be emptying their gold supplies fast. I would say most will just try to cash out as soon as possible but that would be difficult as who in their right mind is going to buy anything on the RMAH now?

ZenaxPure

Explains why you were so baffled when I told you that the ah should not be in this game.

I wasn't baffled, you just didn't (and still don't) have a legitimate argument as to why it shouldn't exist. You said it made things worse without actually giving reasons. The only confusion on my end is why you would say things without having any real reasons.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Don't see how this a good thing at all, rather than being able to 'trade' with the entire server easily you're going to need to post in trade channels/forums. Removing the RMAH is just going to create the black market you saw in D2, rather than giving people a safe place to buy items.

Loginius

I wasn't baffled, you just didn't (and still don't) have a legitimate argument as to why it shouldn't exist. You said it made things worse without actually giving reasons. The only confusion on my end is why you would say things without having any real reasons.
Okey then.
Seems more like you can't accept any reason given.
There have been hundreds since the game launched.
What i could not give you reasons for was why the rmah would negatively influence my personal gaming experience.

The reason for that is still the same.
Because it does not. The ah (rmah is a minor issue that came with that) does.

Don't see how this a good thing at all, rather than being able to 'trade' with the entire server easily you're going to need to post in trade channels/forums. Removing the RMAH is just going to create the black market you saw in D2, rather than giving people a safe place to buy items.

110% agreed. Not happy with this decision at all. It's actually demotivating me. If loot 2.0 doesn't kick total ass, I will consider bailing. I'm not into trading channels and trade forums. I don't want/use third party sites as I don't use real money to play this game.

The AH provided me a way to gear my character the way I wanted too without a shit load of red tape to go through. It was too efficient, bit that's what ladders are for.

Really unsure about how I feel
About this, but definitely leaning upset.

Okey then.
Seems more like you can't accept any reason given.
There have been hundreds since the game launched.
What i could not give you reasons for was why the rmah would negatively influence my personal gaming experience.

The reason for that is still the same.
Because it does not. The ah (rmah is a minor issue that came with that) does.

Your inability to ignore the AH and use self control is reason to take away an aspect of the game I appreciate? Fuck that noise.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Woah.

Woah.

WOOAAAHHHHHH.

Didn't see that coming. I wonder if an offline mode is now a possibility afterall?

While I think this will change the game for the better as now loot drops will be tuned to a world without the "easy to farm" AH, I can't help but wonder if they plan to implement some kind of advanced trading system? Otherwise we will likely just see an underground unofficial black market of some kind grow in it's shadow.

Man, Blizzard's direction with D3 has been nothing short of amazing since Wilson left. It's like they are actually listening now.

I'm scared, if they keep going along this path we are in store for one HELL of an improved game come RoS (pun intended).

zulfate

Im thinking blizzard might embrace the always online thing by making guild halls or special trade towns that will allow more than 4 players on screen.

Great, so I can act like this is an MMO? I don't want to set up camp and peddle shit because I got a shitty barb item I don't need. I want to put my stuff up for sale and go play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom