• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skab

So as time progresses, you're building up gear on your "main account" and starting fresh on new ladder characters each time a season starts. I'm not sure if there's any downtime between ladder seasons.

Zero downtime in D2.

Ok thing are much clearer now. Though if you only play ladders, who cares about what rolls to the main pool?

Are you guys only going to play ladder seasons or both? How long are the seasons?

Seasons were pretty long in D2, sometimes lasting a year.

This makes me wonder if Blizzard will go with the D2 style ladder, or if they'll go with something a little more like PoE, and have seasons be shorter and have downtime in between.

(My money is on D2 style.)

Skab

The important bit for those who don't want to read through the entire thing:

Paragon level 1 gives you a point to spend in a Core Stat, Paragon 2 gives you a point in the Offensive category, 3 is Defensive, and 4 is Utility (Adventure). Each Paragon level past that follows the same pattern. At present all categories other than Core Stats (Str, Int, Dex, Vit) have a cap on the number of points that can be allocated to them, which also means there is a cap to the total number of points that 3 of the 4 categories can have. If you reach Paragon 800, you will have maxed the number of points that can be allocated to the Offensive, Defensive, and Utility categories and all future Paragon levels will grant you a point in the Core Stat category instead.

alife

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/liferebooted-1675/hero/1229260

Can anyone help me with my monk? He's getting destroyed in just MP1 in a few hits. I really want to play that Bell Burst spec, its amazing on console and I stole it from a PC streamer so it should be fine here. I don't know what the problem is with my gear for such a low MP.

Do you mean Nirvana build? If so, replace Fist of Thunder: Quickening with Way of the Hundred Fists: Fists of Fury. Breath of Heaven: Circle of Life with Infused With Light rune. Wave of Light: Empowered Wave with Wall of Light rune. And replace Combination Strike with Seize the Initiative passive. You also need higher critical hit chance and damage. 2 1-hand weapons work better and at least one of them needs Life Steal. Equip the faster 1-hand in main-hand.

Do you mean Nirvana build? If so, replace Fist of Thunder: Quickening with Way of the Hundred Fists: Fists of Fury. Breath of Heaven: Circle of Life with Infused With Light rune. Wave of Light: Empowered Wave with Wall of Light rune. And replace Combination Strike with Seize the Initiative passive. You also need higher critical hit chance and damage. 2 1-hand weapons work better and at least one of them needs Life Steal. Equip the faster 1-hand in main-hand.

No idea, I took datmodz build from twitch and he always calls that spec I have "bell burst"

Skab

Whats the best route for grinding exp for paragon these days? Still the Roaha route or did the density boosts mix things up?

Whats the best route for grinding exp for paragon these days? Still the Roaha route or did the density boosts mix things up?

Festering woods to 5 stacks, if you only get 4 then get the last one in leroics. Then destroy the fields of misary, if decaying crypts spawns do it, its the best xp in the game. After that some people do the cemetary of the forsaken, my "addon" claims its better exp than fields of misary on my wd.

ZenaxPure

Festering woods to 5 stacks, if you only get 4 then get the last one in leroics. Then destroy the fields of misary, if decaying crypts spawns do it, its the best xp in the game. After that some people do the cemetary of the forsaken, my "addon" claims its better exp than fields of misary on my wd.

I actually just did a quick xp run on my barb while waiting on a friend and I totally got like 6 bars of xp in the decaying crypts at plvl 49, it was hilarious/amazing. Got a 202 massacre that I could have went on longer with but I messed up.

Skab

I actually just did a quick xp run on my barb while waiting on a friend and I totally got like 6 bars of xp in the decaying crypts at plvl 49, it was hilarious/amazing. Got a 202 massacre that I could have went on longer with but I messed up.

Guess that's where I'll spend my time then, lol. Thanks!

koji

Been a while since I've played SC, started leveling up an SC monk, holy shit the economy is broken lol, low lvl twink gear is unaffordable without buying gold...

Since I heard about the removal of the AH playing SC became tempting again. Also, those monk vids, shit!

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
All you really need is a low level socket weapon and a big ruby and norm/nm is a cake walk.

On another note, got 6 infernal machines and looking to do some MP10 ubers.

koji

All you really need is a low level socket weapon and a big ruby and norm/nm is a cake walk.

On another note, got 6 infernal machines and looking to do some MP10 ubers.

Yeah just bought some gold, couple of big rubies and some low lvl weapons with a socket.

Looks like it's only the super low lvl stuff that's crazy expensive, once you get in the 20s prices seem more reasonable.

Shifty76

I believe FoM over and over actually gives higher xp/hr than if you get stacks first, simply because the areas where you're getting the stacks aren't great for xp.

Cipherr

Ok thing are much clearer now. Though if you only play ladders, who cares about what rolls to the main pool?

Are you guys only going to play ladder seasons or both? How long are the seasons?

I reckon Ill be playing ladder only. And yeah I probably wont care much for what drips down into my normal account anymore sans copying those characters over to PTR to test incoming new patches on occasion. But outside of that, Normal would be pretty worthless to me.

I think it will be worthless to a LOT of people TBH. Which is why theres a lot of people that don't like the idea of ladder that are quite upset on the message boards. Normal is about to become a dead part of the game more than likely. Everyones gonna opt for the fresh start every 6 month ladder system.

ZenaxPure

Not everyone. I'm sure there are lots of people who won't want to reroll and level up a fresh character every few months.

Yeah I can't say I want to really. I am actually interested in a ladder, but, only as more of a side thing like I do with hardcore right now. I'd rather spend most of my time with the characters I've already put a bunch of time into. Regardless, with the AH shutting down it really won't matter if things are dead or not because I can't say I want to go through the hassle of trading gear with other people anyway.

I believe FoM over and over actually gives higher xp/hr than if you get stacks first, simply because the areas where you're getting the stacks aren't great for xp.

I use finders keepers to track my xp gains automatically and I get a lot more overall xp\hour if I get the stacks first.

Cipherr

Not everyone. I'm sure there are lots of people who won't want to reroll and level up a fresh character every few months.

Well definitely not everyone, but I will bet a lot of the longer term players do. Ladder and HC will be the most active, with normal being as dead as the servers are today. Because on normal there isn't a lot to do in the end game IMO, very little incentive after a couple hundred hours.

Well definitely not everyone, but I will bet a lot of the longer term players do. Ladder and HC will be the most active, with normal being as dead as the servers are today. Because on normal there isn't a lot to do in the end game IMO, very little incentive after a couple hundred hours.

Yea I can see things from your point of view and that's what I thought a few days ago too. But when I think about it a bit more I'm starting to see the possibility that people won't all flock to the ladders permanently. Here's why...

- let's get this out of the way first. The ladder race will likely be won by people buying gold and items outside the game. The vast majority of people will not be in the race after a few weeks even.

- the economy reset is the main draw for the ladder for a lot of people (including me). But with the announcement of the auction house going away and the introduction of higher level loot 2.0 items with the expansion, the economy is going to get reset anyway. Trading will decrease massively so there will be little to no visible effect of inflation for most people. There will be little difference between the economy in the ladder and normal mode.

- we don't know if there will be ladder exclusive items. It's possible that there will be and that would definitely be a big incentive to play there but it will also cause a lot of controversy among people who don't want to play there. The last few years have shown how Blizzard leans when it comes to choosing between the so called casual and hardcore players.

- functionally there will be zero difference in gameplay between ladders and non ladders. You say there won't be an endgame for normal but it will have the exact same endgame systems as ladder (randomized dungeons, adventure mode etc.). It won't have the 'race' aspect to it but like i said, that's going to be beyond most people very soon. It will have the benefit of having the most powerful characters you create because a ladder character will never have more paragon benefits than your normal one.

- gaming and gamers have changed in the 10 years since Diablo 2. I don't think a lot of people will like the idea of having to re-level characters to 70 every 6-8 months. Powerleveling is not an option early in a ladder and really, even if it only takes a few hours for a character, how many times will people want to do it? I personally have 5 level 60 characters. I like the game enough that I wouldn't mind leveling another 5 in the ladder. But then in the next ladder? Or the one after that? The reason I got all 5 to 60 was because I enjoy the variety offered to me by the classes. There will come a point when I'm looking at several high level, geared characters on normal and a completely blank slate on a ladder. I'm not sure if the ladder will be the choice I make.

I'll definitely be playing ladder season 1 as a crusader. Maybe I'll even reroll another class I enjoy a lot (leaning towards monk). I just don't know if I can keep doing this over and over.

Dahbomb

Normally when there's a new Ladder it comes with a patch so usually there is new stuff to look forward to.

I just wish they changed around the order in which you get skills and runes because starting out everyone has the same-ish character due to the linear way in which runes are unlocked.

Shifty76

Could someone give some tips on how to further improve my wizard? I can manage inferno on mp 8 but it takes too long to kill the normal creep on that mp.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Felghoul-2993/hero/854339

Replacing the amethyst in your weapon with an emerald would be a good start.

What's your overall attack speed? Bnet profiles aren't terribly informational. If you're not at the 2.73 or 3.01 breakpoints make sure you get to one of those - anything in between is pretty much worthless so thate's an opportunity to drop some IAS for dmg if you're at say 2.8 attack speed.

Gloves really should have high int, attack speed and crit chance.

Doesn't look like you have much for resists either, but again, tough to tell with a bnet profile rather than a d3up one. You really want around 500-600 all resist minimum.

MrDaravon

So this is kind of ironic; I started every Act 1 run I did for months and months by clearing all 3 of the Defiled Crypts trying to get Dataminer to spawn, and nothing. Talking about literally 1000+ runs of the three crypts, probably a dozen or so Developer Hell spawns, but no Dataminer.

So I've been playing the Console version running a permastrafe DH build (which works out much better there due to the higher DPS you can get) and have spent a chunk of the day today trying to get him to spawn since I'm mostly just working on in-game challenges there when my other friends aren't on. I decided to hop on the PC version to run my permastrafe build just for direct comparison. I hop into the first Defiled Crypt and run into Dataminer immediately. He also hilariously dropped a Xepherian Amulet that has +10 Disc but Str as the primary stat which immediately reminded me I wasn't playing the console version lol. I'm not complaining since I finally got him, but man what the fuck.

Unrelated: I haven't been on the PC version since the console release, and not since the AH removal was announced. I'm assuming all material/gem costs have skyrocketed? Anything worth looking into at this point? Wondering if gear costs have either come down or gone up. At this point I'd probably be wary of spending any real amount of money on anything unless it was a crazy deal with the expansion/legendary scaling/level cap coming, but once I get a Wizard and WD up to 60 I'd still like to get them okay gear that's at least easily MP1 doable without spending a fortune. Have like 100 mil at the moment, but not sure if the market to do that is right now, or if I should wait until closer to March. I'm not sure if either prices will go up more on gear as we get closer as people try to gear up, or if prices go down even more as people are trying to desperately firesale stuff.

Ake

Neo Member
Replacing the amethyst in your weapon with an emerald would be a good start.

What's your overall attack speed? Bnet profiles aren't terribly informational. If you're not at the 2.73 or 3.01 breakpoints make sure you get to one of those - anything in between is pretty much worthless so thate's an opportunity to drop some IAS for dmg if you're at say 2.8 attack speed.

Gloves really should have high int, attack speed and crit chance.

Doesn't look like you have much for resists either, but again, tough to tell with a bnet profile rather than a d3up one. You really want around 500-600 all resist minimum.

I use an amethyst to get a life on hit because I needed an increased LoH to survive higher mp. Is it really better to change it for an emerald?

My attacks per second is 2.49, is that what you mean by attack speed? I will try to improve it by buying better gloves! My res is around 400 for everything, I didn't think of improving that yet. Thanks for the advices!

ZenaxPure

I use an amethyst to get a life on hit because I needed an increased LoH to survive higher mp. Is it really better to change it for an emerald?

I don't really know much about CM wizards, but, I'm going to take a not so wild guess and say you should get a weapon with lifesteal on it. With your dps LS with explosive blast should outpace LoH by a lot. Either way, you want your loh/ls from other gear because an emerald in a weapon gives quite a lot of dps.

Also you should upgrade your gems in general, I don't know your gold situation but even with just farming on your own you can upgrade to stars pretty easily.

Shifty76

My attacks per second is 2.49, is that what you mean by attack speed? I will try to improve it by buying better gloves! My res is around 400 for everything, I didn't think of improving that yet. Thanks for the advices!

800 or so LoH is plenty for CM wiz, even on MP10 and yes, 2.49 is what I mean by attack speed. I believe there's another breakpoint at 2.51 or so, but you really want to shoot for the 2.73 breakpoint for perma-freezing enemies.

My CM wiz is far from amazing but he can destroy MP7 and 8, and can run MP10 without problems, though it can be a little slow vs some elites.

@Zenax: For any build other than CM wiz I'd agree with you, but CM wiz gets huge returns from LoH.

LukeSmith

When OT6 hits I'm going to have a hard time thinking of a better thread title than the one we're using already. Something more positive should be used though, if only to preempt some of the trolls early on talking about how the game finally doesn't suck or whatever other creative thing they can come up with.

Look forward to more people and a more positive vibe when that time comes.

Diablo III |OT6| Hell Froze Over
Diablo III |OT6| 2014 GOTY Candidate
Diablo III |OT6| Press Reset

ZenaxPure

@Zenax: For any build other than CM wiz I'd agree with you, but CM wiz gets huge returns from LoH.

Yeah, like I said I don't really look into cm that much since I don't like playing it, but, I think my point is still fairly accurate. Getting that on gear instead of a gem would probably be ideal.

MrDaravon

What's the best build for demon hunter paragon leveling? What mp and where?
My profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Violentine-1122/hero/2442838

Permastrafing at low MPs. Your DPS is pretty ridiculous so you could probably run MP3, maybe even MP4 at max effeciency. My DPS isn't nearly as good as yours (~250k) but I can run MP2 pretty easily, but most people say anything past MP3 or MP4 just isn't efficient.

Other than that just run the build in whatever act or hotspots you prefer, as far as I know know there's no spots that work particularly better just with that build or anything like that.

IceMarker

Is there any point to getting back into D3 right now? Seems like I should just wait for the major loot 2.0 patch

If you still enjoy the game as is with the AH then yes, otherwise, very little other than getting paragon levels that will transfer to the new system.

MrDaravon

Is there any point to getting back into D3 right now? Seems like I should just wait for the major loot 2.0 patch

Unless you're 100% sure that you will always be doing ladder play (and assuming there is always a ladder going) it's worth playing to gain paragon levels since all of that exp will roll over. I think a lot of people have kind of switched over from loot farming to level farming, or at least moreso than usual.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Permastrafing at low MPs. Your DPS is pretty ridiculous so you could probably run MP3, maybe even MP4 at max effeciency. My DPS isn't nearly as good as yours (~250k) but I can run MP2 pretty easily, but most people say anything past MP3 or MP4 just isn't efficient.

Other than that just run the build in whatever act or hotspots you prefer, as far as I know know there's no spots that work particularly better just with that build or anything like that.

Thanks. lol, so pretty much a water downed WW barb spec. wish I had some pick up radius

Boken

Banned
Unless you're 100% sure that you will always be doing ladder play (and assuming there is always a ladder going) it's worth playing to gain paragon levels since all of that exp will roll over. I think a lot of people have kind of switched over from loot farming to level farming, or at least moreso than usual.

level farming seems very boring though :/

I've been slowly getting all classes to 60, just for fun. Barb and WD are finished, DH at Act 1 Inferno, Wizard at Act 1 Nightmare, and Monk at Act 2 Nightmare. I figure I'll have that finished in a few weeks, and I can take a break for a while or do some casual farming on my Barb until Loot 2.0 PTR/RoS beta.

I'm already planning on going full guinea pig in terms of testing builds and legendaries if I get into the beta, though. Working on an experimental ranged summoner Barb build with the current leaked information.

Ake

Neo Member
800 or so LoH is plenty for CM wiz, even on MP10 and yes, 2.49 is what I mean by attack speed. I believe there's another breakpoint at 2.51 or so, but you really want to shoot for the 2.73 breakpoint for perma-freezing enemies.

My CM wiz is far from amazing but he can destroy MP7 and 8, and can run MP10 without problems, though it can be a little slow vs some elites.

Okey! Will try to upgrade all my gems and improve my attack speed even more. Thanks!

MrDaravon

Thanks. lol, so pretty much a water downed WW barb spec. wish I had some pick up radius

Pretty much. At lower MP it's actually just about as effective at WW Barb (especially if you're using Vault/Tumble), the main difference is that Barbs can do it effectively up to MP10, DH's can only do it effectively up to MP3 or maaaybe MP4.

Sothpaw

I've been slowly getting all classes to 60, just for fun. Barb and WD are finished, DH at Act 1 Inferno, Wizard at Act 1 Nightmare, and Monk at Act 2 Nightmare. I figure I'll have that finished in a few weeks, and I can take a break for a while or do some casual farming on my Barb until Loot 2.0 PTR/RoS beta.

Doing the same. Played a WD exclusively since release and will probably try something new during ROS. Crusader is the clear front runner atm due to flails being the best weapons ever.

Impressions so far...
Barb cleared inferno: zzz

Wizard cleared inferno: really fun and the primary competition for Crusader for my main

Monk cleared normal: zzz

Demon Hunter: haven't started

Monk is super boring and I finally got around to playing Torchlight 2 (Elite difficulty) so the monk is on hold as the TL2 single player campaign is a lot more fun than vanilla D3, especially considering that you have to rush through it 4 times to get through inferno.

Also recently picked up Card Hunter and that game is super fun; you guys should check it out as there really isn't much to do in D3 until the awesome sounding xpac releases.

So I've been playing a bit more recently. Apparently my DH can do at least MP7, although it takes awhile to kill things. MP4 or MP5 is probably more comfortable. Got an okay Tyrael's Might the other day. This morning a pretty awesome Dead Man's Legacy dropped with 19% IAS and +10 Discipline, boosting my DPS by about 10k. Pretty sure that's the best item I've found in awhile and certainly the best self-found item in AGES. Not sure on the actual worth - it rolled Hungering Arrow damage but low. Would be better with Elemental Arrow or Bola probably. Not that I'd want to sell it anyway.

Still some of my slots are difficult to upgrade. My 1345 DPS socketed crossbow (with no other real attributes to speak of) for one. Rarely see weapons that break 1000 DPS, let alone higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom