• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shifty was using the pilar for a while. The multi bell one sounds great for trash to be honest. I like EP instead of blinding flash as I have more fun timing bells and ep's.

Just do what works for you. The basic thing you want to learn is dashing around and tagging mobs for infinite spirit. How you spend it is up to you. IIRC, the post on bnet forums detailing the build had a whole slew of variations.

Shifty76

Thanks for the tips on Nirvana Monk, guys.

Tried it last night, well...it is surprisingly awesome. Have yet to settle on which bell to use... is it the reduced spirit cost one? I used the one variant which makes it go into all directions.

For my monk, Wall of Light (the 1202% one) gives me around 8m dps, as opposed to half that for pillar. Reduced cost is a waste since you can drop as many bells as you have time to drop in the 5 sec window - spirit is not the limitation.

koji

Hey guys, I'm levelling up a SC monk to try that Nirvana build, could you please give me some advise on what type of gear I should be focussing on? Want to start buying some parts. Heavy on attack speed? CC? That type of stuff.

Also, leveling up a character with 30% movement speed is how it should have been all along. :lol

Right, just looked around a bit, IAS, CC, CD... The usual suspects, that's going to cost me...

Shifty76

Hey guys, I'm levelling up a SC monk to try that Nirvana build, could you please give me some advise on what type of gear I should be focussing on? Want to start buying some parts. Heavy on attack speed? CC? That type of stuff.

Also, leveling up a character with 30% movement speed is how it should have been all along. :lol

Right, just looked around a bit, IAS, CC, CD... The usual suspects, that's going to cost me...

This is my nirvana setup

IAS (particularly on mainhand) is huge for the ability to drop lots of bells during the 5 second window. I believe I drop 7 during the 3 secs that FitL is up then another 4 during the last 2 seconds.

I skipped LS completely. Getting dual LS really gimps the dps potential as it means the EF will need LS/socket rather than CD/socket, and running with single LS I'd instagib on RD packs anyway, so I figured I might as well go without and just pump my resists & dps as high as possible. I've added some LpSS on helm to keep me going during fights, and I have 35k globe bonus which also helps during nirvana down time (and I'm hoping will provide ridiculous heals via Transcendence in RoS)

One thing to keep in mind with your offhand (which really should be an EF for the +aps bonus) is that offhand DPS is irrelevant. You'll actually get more bell dps with a 700 dps, 0.25 APS, 80+ CD EF than you would with a 1300 dps one with lower APS and CD. This is handy as you can save a ton of cash getting a low dps one.

I highly recommend reading through Fitz's excellent nirvana guide as he explains the importance of different weapon attributes very well.

Shifty76

Thanks a lot Shifty. Guess I'll start with the weapons.

Thanks for the link to the guide as well, very thorough!

One other thing to keep in mind when shopping mainhands is the weapon dmg % modifier.

You want that to be as high as possible, since the additional ruby dmg gets multiplied by whatever that dmg% number is.

So as an example, mine is 47%, so the additional ruby dmg is not the flat 160 to min and 160 to max. It's actually (160 * 1.47) = 235.2 min and max, taking my weapon dmg to (514.5 + 235.2) - (1055.5 + 235.2), or 749.7 - 1290.4.

(749.7 + 1290.4) * 1.55 = 3162.16 / 2 = 1581 weapon dmg (actually 1584, but rounding)

If my weapon was only say 35% dmg, then my ruby would only give 216 extra min + max dmg, resulting in an overall dps on the weapon of 1551.6, using the same formula as above.

tjohn86

Is there anything I should buy with my ~100 mil that will retain its value after the patches? I don't really plan on playing much until then.

Is there anything I should buy with my ~100 mil that will retain its value after the patches? I don't really plan on playing much until then.

Set yourself up with a couple nice pieces of gear, buy a crap ton of mats that you will no longer be able to buy and save about 15 million for crafting.

Shifty76

Set yourself up with a couple nice pieces of gear, buy a crap ton of mats that you will no longer be able to buy and save about 15 million for crafting.

Yeah I gotta stock up on essences too. Should have bought 10k or so when the price dropped to 700 a few weeks back. They're back up to around 1500 per now :/

I'm not as concerned with sqeeking out the most value from my gold anymore. It's gonna be worthless very soon. It's my goal to get some health globes on my gear and get mats and some gold saved for crafting during the exp.

I'll probably take a break soon here.

Shifty76

Is there any easy way to find out what recipes I am missing? I'd like to buy most / all of the rare ones if possible.

I hit up the blacksmith and wrote down which ones I was able to make.

There's a base (exalted), fine and grand plan for most pieces, so I just jotted down the ones that I didn't have all 3 types for then bought them.

Well, got an email from Blizzard saying that someone wanted to change the email address on the account to some gmail address and they just let him, without sending me any kind of email asking for confirmation. Glad I signed up for account authentication! He changed the security question on the account so now the only way for me to close it down and be done with that clown car of a company for good is to mail them photocopies of my identification, as if I want to give them more of my personal info to just hand over to the first person that asks for it. Instead, I'm going to take them to small claims court for the price of the games.

Sothpaw

Honestly, I was really turned off by the fact that D3 was going to consoles. I was worried that everything would be designed around console constraints. But given that the game bombed on consoles, sold gangbusters on PC and that ROS looks amazing my hype level has really gone through the roof for the xpac. Can't wait.

Honestly, I was really turned off by the fact that D3 was going to consoles. I was worried that everything would be designed around console constraints. But given that the game bombed on consoles, sold gangbusters on PC and that ROS looks amazing my hype level has really gone through the roof for the xpac. Can't wait.

Source?

Dahbomb

Given that you have a limited skill selection at one time unlike D2, game was designed around console constraints since its inception.

Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Attack Speed, Block Chance, Magic Find, Gold Find and Movement Speed now have caps

Critical Hit Chance - *You may have a maximum of +40.00% Critical Hit Chance from items.
Block Chance - *You may have a maximum of 75.00% Block Chance.
Critical Hit Damage - *You may have a maximum of +250.00% Critical Hit Damage from items.
Movement Speed - *You may have a maximum of +25.00% movement speed from items
Gold Find - *You may have a maximum of +300.00% Gold Find.
Magic Find - *This increase is diminished for rare and legendary and set items.
Magic Find - *You may have a maximum of +300.00% Magic Find.
Attack Speed - *You may have a maximum of +40.00% Attack Speed from items.
Oh boy.....

Oh boy.....

Yeah saw that. /nofunallowed

Most of the other datamined stuff sounds pretty good though. Seems that DHs will finally have a skill that's equivalent to Archon/WotB/etc. Not sure if that was datamined before.

And all those crazy item (mostly seems to be rings?) effects are the kind of stuff that should have been in the game in the first place. Still absolutely baffled how they went live with the original incarnation of legendary (pre-fix) items. At least it's getting addressed, albeit slowly.

Dahbomb

Wtf capped CD and CC??? Does that include gems?
It says from items so I guess that includes gem too.

Ballsy move on their part but this pretty much confirms that people will be using the crazy Legendary affixes now. This also means that emeralds took a nose dive in value, people will be putting Rubies in their weapons now by default (because it's so easy to get to 250% cap CD).

This also means that you can get CD/CC from other sources like Skills and Paragon points so it's possible to go past the cap.

No limit on Lifesteal is curious... curious to know what they will do with that, probably remove it altogether.

Sothpaw

Given that you have a limited skill selection at one time unlike D2, game was designed around console constraints since its inception.

Nah, you have the same restriction in Everquest 1. That is a matter of design choice, not console constraint. I was more referring to no targeted spells and things like that.

I wish I could reveal but I can't at the moment. Take my word for it or not, but when the NDP comes out it will be revealed; game tanked on consoles. I have no doubt that Blizz will never compromise the PC D3 experience now.

Dahbomb

That depends on the definition of "tanked".

If it did 1/20th on PC then that is damn good because that is like 500K copies sold. A lot of games struggle to get even that much.

Sothpaw

That depends on the definition of "tanked".

If it did 1/20th on PC then that is damn good because that is like 500K copies sold. A lot of games struggle to get even that much.

According to my source it's more like 300K after 2 weeks. Again I realize no one here has any reason whatsoever to believe me and that's expected. That said, 300K in two weeks is pretty bad compared to how this game sold on PC, and probably will continue to do so considering how amazing ROS sounds.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Very important to note that "from items" fine print. The ones that have that item cap can still get more from skills and paragon points.

MF, GF and block (75%) are the only global caps.

So the new move speed will be 25% plus whatever we can get from points and skills.

Unless there are other changes to proc coefficiencts, CM is still probably going to do fine.

Yep Crusader goes super saiyan. Definitely playing that.

Akarat's Champion
Cooldown: 120 seconds
Channel the power of your order exploding into the burning fury of Akkarat's Champion.
When you convert, you will errupt with fire, dealing 200% weapon damage as fire to all enemies nearby, and continue to explode with fire dealing 25% weapon damage every 3 seconds.
While you are converted, several of your stats will be increased for 20 seconds.
Armor: 40%
Attack Speed: 25%
Wrath Regeneration Rate: 100%
Movement Speed: 20% (Previously cost 50 Wrath, had no cooldown. Made the Crusader ignite, burning all enemies who touch him)

That's with no runes yet. Looks like there's a new WOTB, just no perma-SSJ method yet.

It says from items so I guess that includes gem too.

Ballsy move on their part but this pretty much confirms that people will be using the crazy Legendary affixes now. This also means that emeralds took a nose dive in value, people will be putting Rubies in their weapons now by default (because it's so easy to get to 250% cap CD).

This also means that you can get CD/CC from other sources like Skills and Paragon points so it's possible to go past the cap.

No limit on Lifesteal is curious... curious to know what they will do with that, probably remove it altogether.

It almost forces one to use paragon on CC and CD. I'm questioning selling my other emerald now :/

Dahbomb

According to my source it's more like 300K after 2 weeks. Again I realize no one here has any reason whatsoever to believe me and that's expected. That said, 300K in two weeks is pretty bad compared to how this game sold on PC, and probably will continue to do so considering how amazing ROS sounds.
Those are pretty solid numbers for a one and a half year old port. If they release RoS console version close to the PC version then they will see a lot of sales from that as well (especially a next gen version).

It almost forces one to use paragon on CC and CD. I'm questioning selling my other emerald now :/
It doesn't force you because your Paragon points are allocated per category.

Meaning your first Paragon level you can only put into Core stats, next Paragon level allows you to put only into Offensive stats.

There is no way you can put everything in one category, it's all divided up by levels. So in reality the Paragon points don't mean much.

Ashodin

Very important to note that "from items" fine print. The ones that have that item cap can still get more from skills and paragon points.

MF, GF and block (75%) are the only global caps.

So the new move speed will be 25% plus whatever we can get from points and skills.

Unless there are other changes to proc coefficiencts, CM is still probably going to do fine.

That's with no runes yet. Looks like there's a new WOTB, just no perma-SSJ method yet.

Totally going to love using it if its animation is sick as hell.

Raticus79

I organized the list of new item effects from the data mining:

General
- Shrine effects last for one hour
- Your melee attacks hit enemies up to 40 yards in front of you for 100% weapon damage
- While below 30% Life, all attacks are guaranteed Critical Hits
- Increase the Knockback distance of your skills that cause Knockback by 100% and increase their damage by 50%
- Every time you destroy a wreckable object, you gain a short burst of speed
- You take 25% less damage for each enemy that is stunned within 25 yards of you
- Your Thorns damage now hits all enemies in a 15 yard radius
- Summons shadow clones to your aid when you are hit by a crowd control effect
- Drinking Kulle-Aid allows you to burst through walls summoned by Waller elites for 5 seconds
- Reduce the resource cost of Fire skills by 30%
- Lightning skills have a chance to turn the enemy into a lightning rod, pulsing Lightning damage to nearby enemies
- Healing wells replenish all resources
- After earning a survival bonus, quickly heal to full Life
- After earning a massacre bonus, gold rains from sky
- While casting Town Portal you gain an immunity bubble
- Periodically gain a shield that absorbs and reflects projectiles
- Heal to full Life and resources when you fall below 20% Life
- Potions affect all allies
- While moving your resource generation and damage is increased by 25%. While stationary your resource regeneration and damage is reduced by 25%
- Health globes restore 20% of your primary resource
- The world map is always revealed
- Shrines will spawn an enemy champion
- Completing an event grants a special reward
- Chance on being hit to summon a protective pylon
- Increase chance to find Health Globes by 100%
- Gain a death aura that deals 1000% of your Life per Second to enemies within 20 yards but your Life per Second no longer heals you

Barbarian
- Threatening Shout has a chance to Charm enemies and cause them to join your side
- Ancient Spear pulls you to your enemy
- Leap gains up to 3 charges
- Warcry increases your and your allies' run speed by 40% for 10 seconds

Demon Hunter
- Automatically cast Smoke Screen when you fall below 25% Life. This effect may occur once every 30 seconds (decreased from 30% Life)
- % chance to explode in a fan of knives for 200% weapon damage when hit
- Your Spike Traps lure enemies to them
- Bolas now explode instantly
- Fan of Knives knocks targets back
- You may have 2 additional Sentries
- Hungering Arrow has 20% additional chance to pierce
- Vault knocks enemies back
- 5% chance on hit to create a Spike Trap, Caltrops or Sentry at the enemy's location

Monk
- Reduce the cooldown of Breath of Heaven by 50% and increase its radius to 50 yards
- Wave of Light will refund its Spirit cost if it kills 4 or more enemies
- Wave of Light is now cast at your enemy
- Gain 10 Spirit per second while standing in Inner Sanctuary

Witch Doctor
- 30% of any damage dealt to you is redirected to your Zombie Dogs
- Horrify causes you to Fear and Root enemies around you for 8 seconds
- Your Fetish Army lasts until they die
- Insect Swarm and Haunt now deal their damage in half of the normal duration
- Doubles the duration of Locust Swarm
- Zombie Dogs instead summons a single gargantuan dog with the power of all other dogs combined
- Grasp of the Dead no longer has a cooldown
- Plague of Toads now seek out enemies and can explode twice

Wizard
- Electrocute can chain to enemies that have already been hit
- Your Mirror Images have a chance to multiply when killed by enemies
- Frost Hydra now periodically casts Frost Nova
- Arcane Torrent instantly lays mines on the ground
- Automatically cast Diamond Skin when you fall below 25% Life. This effect may occur once every 30 seconds
- Explosive blast no longer has a cooldown
- Energy Twister now travels in a straight path
- Frost nova is now cast at your enemy
- Black Hole Slows targets by 50% after it ends
- Meteor now homes in on enemies

Blocking (Crusader)
- Blocks have a chance of summoning a hell hound
- Blocked attacks heal you and your allies for the amount blocked
- Blocking an attack Freezes the attacker

-----

... awesome! They have successfully delivered some game changers.
In before someone quotes the whole thing

MrDaravon

Half of those sound like fanfiction. This is both hilarious and awesome.

Also has there been anything in these leaks (or otherwise) that gives us a clear indication of how transmogrify will work. To be specific, do we know yet if we'll have to give the Mystic the item and she'll "learn" it, will we have to actually pick up the item from a drop, will she automatically know every item appearance we already have held, etc? Let's just say that if all that we have to do is give her the item I'm set on everything >_>

Shifty76

I organized the list of new item effects from the data mining:

General
- Shrine effects last for one hour
- Increase the Knockback distance of your skills that cause Knockback by 100% and increase their damage by 50%
Monk
- Reduce the cooldown of Breath of Heaven by 50% and increase its radius to 50 yards
- Wave of Light will refund its Spirit cost if it kills 4 or more enemies

As a nirvana monk this makes me very excited. 1 hr long empowered shrines? So unlimited nirvana for a whole hour?

Yeah increased knockback sucks, but 50% more dmg on bells? 8m dps going up to 12m? okay then.

Oh, you're going to reduce the BoH cooldown by 50% too? Forget empowered shrines then - stick a diamond in the helm to reduce the last 2-3 seconds of the cooldown and just have perma-nirvana.

Raticus79

Also has there been anything in these leaks (or otherwise) that gives us a clear indication of how transmogrify will work. To be specific, do we know yet if we'll have to give the Mystic the item and she'll "learn" it, will we have to actually pick up the item from a drop, will she automatically know every item appearance we already have held, etc? Let's just say that if all that we have to do is give her the item I'm set on everything >_>

There was actually a blue post that said you don't need to keep the items. Once you've had an item in your inventory, you can chuck it and still transmog to that appearance later.

Edit: here it is: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9882389209?page=1#6
We know inventory space is precious, so you won't be required to keep the "visual" item in order to use it's appearance. Instead, you'll unlock the item's appearance across all Normal (or Hardcore) characters on the account once you've picked it up. Any item appearance that's been unlocked will be stored in the transmogrification UI.

That reminds me, now would be a good time to stock up on a cheap copy of every item out there for transmog purposes.

MrDaravon

There was actually a blue post that said you don't need to keep the items. Once you've had an item in your inventory, you can chuck it and still transmog to that appearance later.

That reminds me, now would be a good time to stock up on a cheap copy of every item out there for transmog purposes.

I remember that, but couldn't find the post. Did it indicate if it would count if we had the items now, or will it only start "counting" them once the expansion/mystic is available? I have 7 characters and most of a stash full of every legendary, which is annoying. As a heads up keep in mind some of the lower level legendaries are barely on the AH and can be super expensive. I bought most of them yesterday and today, and on some of them there's less than one page of them out there. On a couple I got super lucky with getting one at 1d12h or 1d11h for less than one mil, when the other 8 or so out there were all 10+ mil. There was also one item that I bought that was quite literally the only one on the AH at any price o_O

MrDaravon

Found it, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9882389209?page=1#6

Anyone thinking about making a thorns-based character, check out Blind Faith.

Hmm, that's actually less helpful because it doesn't indicate if you have to actually pick up the item or if you can just have it period. They could have said pick up because they're talking about the Mystic which will exist in a post-AH world, or they could mean that you literally would have to find it as a drop which will make me a very sad panda. It didn't cost me THAT much to get all of them, but the time/inventory commitment is annoying.

Dahbomb

I am kinda surprised people aren't up in arms over the whole capped IAS/CD/CC stuff.

I personally am neither shocked nor disappointed... I expected this to happen a long time ago. This pretty much means that once you get up to 40% from items, you will be looking for other stats in pieces which normally can roll CC.

No more Monks/Barbs wearing Nats just to get that extra CC%.

Raticus79

As a nirvana monk this makes me very excited. 1 hr long empowered shrines? So unlimited nirvana for a whole hour?

Yeah increased knockback sucks, but 50% more dmg on bells? 8m dps going up to 12m? okay then.

Oh, you're going to reduce the BoH cooldown by 50% too? Forget empowered shrines then - stick a diamond in the helm to reduce the last 2-3 seconds of the cooldown and just have perma-nirvana.

[TORGUE] Are you ready for the next level hype? HERE IT COMES

Who gives a crap about Nirvana time when you can drop bombs like a B52?
Load up the heaviest 2-hander you can find.
"Slow spirit regen!"?? Not gonna be a problem, sit tight.
"Oh no, the knockback!"?? Who cares about knockback when they're DEAD?
50% more damage = ONE SHOT KILL, and you just killed a bunch at once so here's full spirit again because you're awesome! [/TORGUE]

Back to back bells until the zone is dead. Booyah. (Not so great vs elites though)

MrDaravon

I feel like you guys need to stop talking about the Nirvana build, they're going to do something to nerf it into the ground now :(

Next time I get on the PC version I will have to check that build out though, seems interesting.

I am kinda surprised people aren't up in arms over the whole capped IAS/CD/CC stuff.

I personally am neither shocked nor disappointed... I expected this to happen a long time ago. This pretty much means that once you get up to 40% from items, you will be looking for other stats in pieces which normally can roll CC.

No more Monks/Barbs wearing Nats just to get that extra CC%.

It makes sense with paragon adding to those stats. I agree that it free up slots on items that are more interesting than CC/CD/IAS. I had forgotten about the structure in which they make you spend paragon you brought up earlier btw.

Also ... My nats set is worthless once the exp drops lol. I have a rad ring too. Lol

I feel like you guys need to stop talking about the Nirvana build, they're going to do something to nerf it into the ground now :(

Next time I get on the PC version I will have to check that build out though, seems interesting.

I keep thinking this myself.

Also ... Thanks for posting that raticus.

Edit: no cool down on grasp of the dead sounds rad for my HC WD.

Radec

Just tried this Nirvana build on my Monk and wow, it really works.

Demolishes packs in an awesome way.

My gears aren't compatible though, need to rebuild some.

Any suggestions?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

sounds believable enough to me, but i dont think thats a total loss to generate another 2 million dollars of sales for the title. even if they take away half of that, there's no way it cost them a million bucks to port that game over.

plus they still have the PS4/Xbox One version to come out, and it will probably ride the launch sales.

they're in a good spot with the game on consoles IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom