• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
No way, did they really say that?

Yes, they said it in the Q&A panel referring to high end legendaries specifically.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/2195-diablo-iii-blizzcon-open-qa/
Trading became the easiest and fastest way to get items and we wanted to change that. We still see value in trading and want to keep it in the game, but we still haven't finalized it. Maybe the top tier of Legendaries will become account bound and also high level gems. We're still thinking about it.

Someone on reddit said they were talking to Wyatt about it and they didn't want the game to turn into pay to win on the black market instead. So, they're making all the most desirable stuff self-found only.

There's quite a bit of backlash on it. Personally I think it makes sense for what they're trying to achieve. It's inconsistent to remove the AH but leave item trading in the game.

I just hope they at least implement something where you can give the item to group members who were there when it dropped.

GECK

There's quite a bit of backlash on it.

Most of any real backlash will be coming from the people that use D2jsp. And in ample amounts.

The majority of those 14 million won't really care. If someone puts in thousands of gameplay hours their gear should reflect that.

Raticus79

Most of any real backlash will be coming from the people that use D2jsp. And in ample amounts.

The majority of those 14 million won't really care. If someone puts in thousands of gameplay hours their gear should reflect that.

I expect that botters will be very vocal too. I was just checking around a few shady forums and they realize they're pretty much doomed with this change. They're limited to selling gold third party (more risky) and gold is only really usable for crafting so the demand for that should drop pretty quickly as well.

About half the threads in the battle.net general forum are about BoA right now, lol.

Cipherr

Yes, they said it in the Q&A panel referring to high end legendaries specifically.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/2195-diablo-iii-blizzcon-open-qa/

Someone on reddit said they were talking to Wyatt about it and they didn't want the game to turn into pay to win on the black market instead. So, they're making all the most desirable stuff self-found only.

There's quite a bit of backlash on it. Personally I think it makes sense for what they're trying to achieve. It's inconsistent to remove the AH but leave item trading in the game.

I just hope they at least implement something where you can give the item to group members who were there when it dropped.

Oh noooo I wasn't talking about the Bind on Account stuff, I was talking about the stash space not expanding that you mentioned haha. I'm perfectly fine with the best items being BOP. But jeeeesus, give us more inventory space for crying out loud.

MrDaravon

To a point sure. I would really only do any trading probably with people here so I don't see myself being too affected by this if they do it. But on the other hand if a killer item drops that's a duplicate or something I just really don't need for whatever reason it would be really stupid if I couldn't trade it or give it to a friend.

Raticus79

Oh noooo I wasn't talking about the Bind on Account stuff, I was talking about the stash space not expanding that you mentioned haha. I'm perfectly fine with the best items being BOP. But jeeeesus, give us more inventory space for crying out loud.

Oh, lol. Too used to people blowing about the account bound stuff on other forums.

Yeah, no new stash space, just two more character slots for muling. Same link: http://www.diablofans.com/news/2195-diablo-iii-blizzcon-open-qa/

Do you guys have any plans on expending stash space?
At this point - no. We're approaching the problem from a different point of view. We want you to use the items a lot more instead of keep the stuff. Salvaging items is a lot more useful now. We want to do a lot of things to make sure you don't keep a lot of gear.

MrDaravon

So we'll have two more characters to share a stash with (excluding mules), there's clearly easily room for more stash tabs, and they're introducing items to make builds around (aka you'll need to hold onto items depending on what build you're running) and they're not increasing stash space? Fucking bizarre.

Calling it now: they will sell you additional tabs as DLC.

larvi

The BOA for legendaries really sucks too since I have a 2nd account I trade items with. I really don't see any good reason buy the expansion for that account. I wonder how it's going to work with trading items between an account that has the expansion vs one that doesn't?

Azulsky

So all legendaries are BOA. Kinda kills the mood running a party when no one gets drops for their class in most cases and you can't trade. Like those 4 Mighty Belt legndaries in a row yesterday on my monk. I mean VileWards/Lacuni Prowlers are like the town bicycle in my group they just get shuffled from mains to alts each has been on probably 8 characters. And now we can't trade. I'm just bringing you along for the MF and GF.

I guess we will have to wait and see how it turns out

hitsugi

Okay so I haven't played this since.. Shortly after paragon levels were introduced. I have a 60(4) wiz with horrible gear (40k dps maybe), maybe 600k gold, and no knowledge of what's changed.

What's the quickest way for me to get caught up on things? Or should I just wait for the expansion?

Leckan

So all legendaries are BOA. Kinda kills the mood running a party when no one gets drops for their class in most cases and you can't trade. Like those 4 Mighty Belt legndaries in a row yesterday on my monk. I mean VileWards/Lacuni Prowlers are like the town bicycle in my group they just get shuffled from mains to alts each has been on probably 8 characters. And now we can't trade. I'm just bringing you along for the MF and GF.

I guess we will have to wait and see how it turns out

They said that if you play the together with someone you can freely trade soulbound items if you find it in the same game.

Came back to this game after BlizzCon inspiration, but I have a major problem.

I have been so used to playing the smooth-as-butter Path of Exile, but D3 seems to stutter every time a monster is introduced on the screen and it happens worse in multiplayer.

It's not lag and it's not my rig. It happens on the high settings and also the lowest settings.

I've already limited my foreground FPS to 60, ranked D3.exe as high priority in task manager...what else can I do to make this playable?

larvi

Came back to this game after BlizzCon inspiration, but I have a major problem.

I have been so used to playing the smooth-as-butter Path of Exile, but D3 seems to stutter every time a monster is introduced on the screen and it happens worse in multiplayer.

It's not lag and it's not my rig. It happens on the high settings and also the lowest settings.

I've already limited my foreground FPS to 60, ranked D3.exe as high priority in task manager...what else can I do to make this playable?

Installing the game to a SSD or ramdisk seems to help the most with these issues. It doesn't completely fix it but it makes it much better.

inky

I don't know, but I had the same problem since forever. I even made a YT video a while back and shared it in one of the D3 threads. It seems to be the way the game streams assets that causes it. I put the game in my SSD but I haven't played it in months, so I don't really remember if that fixed it or what.

What I did was I put the game folder and all its content in a 32GB USB drive. Seems wacky I know, but it killed most of the stuttering that comes with loading assets.

Raticus79

What I did was I put the game folder and all its content in a 32GB USB drive. Seems wacky I know, but it killed most of the stuttering that comes with loading assets.

Try attaching a USB stick and enabling ReadyBoost in the properties. Works on anything newer than XP I think. For a long time people described it as just "giving the PC more RAM" but it's actually more like an SSHD - the USB stick is used for caching frequently accessed files, it's not some kind of extra swap space. I'm curious to hear if it works as well as loading the whole game there. (Works best with a 8GB+ USB3 stick if you have it)

larvi

It should providing you have usb3.0 ports on your PC as well.

Try attaching a USB stick and enabling ReadyBoost in the properties. Works on anything newer than XP I think. For a long time people described it as just "giving the PC more RAM" but it's actually more like an SSHD - the USB stick is used for caching frequently accessed files, it's not some kind of extra swap space. I'm curious to hear if it works as well as loading the whole game there. (Works best with a 8GB+ USB3 stick if you have it)

Yeah, just having more RAM isn't the answer, I have 24gb ram and I still have to use a SSD. But if you do have enough ram you can dedicate some of that to a Ramdisk, I think it needs about a 8gb ram drive if you go that route. I did that for a while but it's a pain since you have to recopy the files back at every boot and keep another copy of the files on disk that get patched that you copy from.

Cipherr

Lol, I swear, installing all of my games on my SSD must be the best decision I ever made.

Stutters every time an enemy appears on screen? That would drive me CRAZY. Noooo thanks lol.

IceMarker

As much as I appreciate how random Nephalem Rifts are, the lack of more randomness in the tilesets still bugs me. I've played enough of Diablo III to the point where I have come across the same randomly generated area twice, even in the "more random" zones like Cathedral Level 2.

Raticus79

lol @ the popular topics on battle.net:

YlSnKCZ.png

I put up a thread on reddit with my take on it all: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1qd7ii/botter_forums_are_freaking_out_right_now_the/

Bind on Equip = useless, keeps botting and flipping. Strong incentive to keep things "liquid" and never actually use anything.

Bind on Trade = kills flipping, botting for profit still viable

Current solution = good compromise. No flipping, botting for profit is severely limited. Pisses off traders and botters, meanwhile players will just adjust to the new setup and have more fun overall I think.

MrDaravon

I think that making Legendaries BoA on pickup will make the game even more of a single player experience than it already is to me. I think it would cross a line where it negatively effect legitimate users for a very nebulous benefit. I think completely killing trading will kill the game and community long-term.

Raticus79

(Edit: poll link removed, it just relied on cookies so people were beating it with incognito mode, lol)

dat horsey skill :D :p... def my new character... the new skill for barbs is lame.

Yeah, that's looking pretty good! Has some advantages over dashing strike.

Skab

Nice write up on the crazy new "Super Shrines" in the Blizzcon Demo.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/co...ines-blizzcon-2013-hands-on-guide#more-372765

For those that don't want to read the whole thing, the quick version is that there were shrines that gave very strong bonuses for 30 seconds, instead of the usual 120 seconds and mild boosts (which are still in.) The different shrines seen were

Speed Shrine - Max run speed
Consecrated Shrine - Zero cooldowns
Power Shrine - 400% damage boost
Conduit Shrine - Causes your character to spew lightning at every monster in range. Killed everything in the demo in one or two shots.
Shield Shrine - Full invulnerability

Again, these all last 30 seconds. There may have been more, but these were all that the writer had seen in his play through's.

larvi

I put up a thread on reddit with my take on it all: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1qd7ii/botter_forums_are_freaking_out_right_now_the/

Bind on Equip = useless, keeps botting and flipping. Strong incentive to keep things "liquid" and never actually use anything.

Bind on Trade = kills flipping, botting for profit still viable

Current solution = good compromise. No flipping, botting for profit is severely limited. Pisses off traders and botters, meanwhile players will just adjust to the new setup and have more fun overall I think.

I did the poll you had posted and personally I'm a fan of keeping the AH and against any sort of BOA for anything. I pretty much always play solo and never use trade forums or trade with strangers. Here are the pros of the AH that I'm going to miss:
1.) Can instantly determine if an item found is rare or valuable. Easy to tell if someone is asking way too much for an item in trade as well.
2.) Can quickly and cheaply gear for alternate builds or to try something out before taking plunge. This keeps the game fresh.
3.) There is a pretty healthy market for twink gear and crafting mats via the AH. This means just starting players can actually sell stuff they find to start building up some reserve cash and buy some items they couldn't otherwise find or afford
4.) A metagame for people who like to buy and sell stuff

As for any sort of BOA it's a big kick in the teeth for those of us who paid for a 2nd account to help with item management. They have far too few char slots now, basically you can have one of each class HC and SC with no storage chars. So I picked up a 2nd account to use for storage and ease of item swapping.

Personally I think Blizzard is thinking D3 is cutting into their WoW subscription base so they are removing some of the more online oriented features such as the AH and item trading. So D3 is going to be left with just the online DRM without any of the benefits such as the AH.

Raticus79

I did the poll you had posted and personally I'm a fan of keeping the AH and against any sort of BOA for anything. [...]

Oh, ok, I wasn't sure if many people here saw it. Here are the results for the first 139 responses before people started spamming it then:

"Given the choice, which approach would you prefer?"
43.9% - The current plan: Soulbound top tier legendary/set items (they drop as account bound, with some time after the item drops to trade to group members who were present)
17.3% - Bind on Trade (one trade only, binds on first transfer)
13.7% - Remove the auction house, but don't add BoA. Use trade chat / forums instead, or another non-AH system
12.9% - Bind on Equip (multiple trades allowed, binds when equipped)
10.1% - Stop removing AH, keep the auction house as-is, no BoA or other changes
2.2% - Make everything BoA, not just legendary/set items. (true self-found)

Assuming 10 million players, that sample size 139 was enough to say that the top option is going to be the top option 99% of the time. Not really enough to distinguish between those four that are in the teens. (results as .csv, I only took the first 139 since spamming started at 140)

inky

I don't mind BoA, but at least sharing with your current party and friends would be nice. It is always nice to give the people you are playing with something to equip and keep up. BoA will probably mean targeted drops too, which again is fine, but means you'll have to farm items on a character by character basis.

In any case, I prefer farming for loots rather than farming for gold and crafting materials and just have BIS recipes for everything.

The current stash room really sucks ass tho, what are Blizzard thinking?

Raticus79

I don't mind BoA, but at least sharing with your current party and friends would be nice. [...]

They're actually doing the share-with-group thing, you get a window (2 hours, maybe?) to trade it to people who were in the group when it dropped.

It's hard to say whether doing the same sharing with a list of 100 people who were on your friends (or clan) list is enough to defeat the intended "top gear is earned" thing they're going for. I guess they think it's too much since they didn't go for that.

That could be implemented without using up too much storage by storing timestamps with items for when the dropped, and for clan/friends list join dates, then used those to determine trade eligibility instead of trying to store big lists of potential recipients with each item.

[...] The current stash room really sucks ass tho, what are Blizzard thinking?

I saw a post from someone betting that Blizzard was going to start selling stash space upgrades F2P-style. Makes sense considering they're losing the RMAH revenue stream. I wonder how that will play out...

MrDaravon

I don't mind BoA, but at least sharing with your current party and friends would be nice. It is always nice to give the people you are playing with something to equip and keep up. BoA will probably mean targeted drops too, which again is fine, but means you'll have to farm items on a character by character basis.

In any case, I prefer farming for loots rather than farming for gold and crafting materials and just have BIS recipes for everything.

The current stash room really sucks ass tho, what are Blizzard thinking?

The bolded was kind of a significant problem on console for some drops; for example, in hundreds of hours on my DH (and other characters as well) I never saw any Inna items drop, including the pants which are key for multiple classes, etc. With whatever new items they're introducing and the 60+ scaling may alleviate or eliminate that though, it's hard to say.

Sothpaw

Someone managed to get a video of a Nephalem Rift run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwTXdk-FSi0
(source)

Crusader looks like he was designed for a gamepad. I didn't notice any targeted abilities (leap slam, haunt, etc.) whatsoever. Seems like just aoe button mashing. Could be just because only a few abilities were used I suppose. A shame as I really like the concept of the character, but I can't play classes that have no targeted abilities or ARPG's on console in general. Get's boring too quickly.

That said, the loot run seems pretty cool in general. I hope they rip of POE straight up and have insane monster mods that make the run much harder but increase the rewards.

Edit: Looks like mob density will still be reduced on the PS4 version. Quote from Blizzard's Matthew Berger on why controller will not be available on PC:

"It's a bigger issue than just allowing players to use the controller on the PC. Because if I let you use the controller on the PC, then I have to let you use the user interface that goes with it, and if I give you the roll and I haven't throttled the number of enemies attacking you because the mouse-and-keyboard players can handle all those enemies, but with a controller you have too many guys... The games have really been structured to take advantage of their environment and their ecosystem, so in the same way it would not be a good fit to put a mouse and keyboard on the console. It wouldn't work."

As I have been saying from the get go, controller support on PC will never happen and the PC version is better off without it.

inky

I saw a post from someone betting that Blizzard was going to start selling stash space upgrades F2P-style. Makes sense considering they're losing the RMAH revenue stream. I wonder how that will play out...

I wouldn't have that big of a problem with that (if they offered it) but if they were to start treating their paid game like a F2P one, the least they could do is start updating it like one as well.

The bolded was kind of a significant problem on console for some drops; for example, in hundreds of hours on my DH (and other characters as well) I never saw any Inna items drop, including the pants which are key for multiple classes, etc. With whatever new items they're introducing and the 60+ scaling may alleviate or eliminate that though, it's hard to say.

That's what I figured. Hopefully their Loot 2.0 system is smart enough to keep a broad pool of certain items at higher levels, and leave the targeted stuff to rares that roll random stats.

As I have been saying from the get go, controller support on PC will never happen and the PC version is better off without it.

Quite a bit of people currently feel that controller support for ARPGs on PC is kind of a requirement for some reason, or at least it should be the norm (I read a lot of complaints about this over at the Marvel Heroes threads and official forums, for example), I understand where they are coming from but I still feel differently, and certainly that it is not quite as trivial OR necessary as they make it sound.

Raticus79

Got a somewhat decent mechanics discussion going on over at /r/diablo: link

Copying part of my OP there:

"In Diablo III today, players are used to choosing their build and then going out and buying the gear to support that build. Look up what you need, get the required items from the auction house, and off you go - pretty straightforward. People were expecting to do the same sort of thing with trade channels and forums before Blizzcon. With the self-found endgame due to BoA legendary/set items, things are going to be different.

In RoS, instead of choosing your gear to suit your build, it's the other way around - you choose your build based on your gear. You get gear at random, and it's not necessarily going to be gear for the build that you were going for.

Players who adapt and switch to different builds (and classes) as necessary at different points in their progression are going to be more successful than those who start with a character/build in mind and try to stick to that.

The change to account-wide Paragon levels makes a lot of sense with this in mind. It allows players to to freely switch characters if they happen to find gear that works best for another class. "Well, I just found the #1 WD mojo in the world, maybe I should make a WD....", and they can do that without having to give up all those paragon levels like we currently do in 1.0.8.

I think this sort of emergent gameplay, where you're re-evaluating and improvising based on the "build-enabling" legendaries that you happen to get along the way, is what Blizzard was going for."

Deadly

Got a somewhat decent mechanics discussion going on over at /r/diablo: link

Copying part of my OP there:

"In Diablo III today, players are used to choosing their build and then going out and buying the gear to support that build. Look up what you need, get the required items from the auction house, and off you go - pretty straightforward. People were expecting to do the same sort of thing with trade channels and forums before Blizzcon. With the self-found endgame due to BoA legendary/set items, things are going to be different.

In RoS, instead of choosing your gear to suit your build, it's the other way around - you choose your build based on your gear. You get gear at random, and it's not necessarily going to be gear for the build that you were going for.

Players who adapt and switch to different builds (and classes) as necessary at different points in their progression are going to be more successful than those who start with a character/build in mind and try to stick to that.

The change to account-wide Paragon levels makes a lot of sense with this in mind. It allows players to to freely switch characters if they happen to find gear that works best for another class. "Well, I just found the #1 WD mojo in the world, maybe I should make a WD....", and they can do that without having to give up all those paragon levels like we currently do in 1.0.8.

I think this sort of emergent gameplay, where you're re-evaluating and improvising based on the "build-enabling" legendaries that you happen to get along the way, is what Blizzard was going for."
That's kinda terrible. What if you don't like the build that gear enables? Or just don't want to play that class? Easy solution would be to trade it for what you do want. Oh wait....

What most of the posters on the Reddit thread talking about D2 builds seem to be missing is you no longer design your class and spend skill points accordingly. Gone are the days of locking yourself into a javazon build, or a summoner, or the like. In D3, if you want to "respec" you just swap out your active skills.

In other words, there's no penalty for finding a class-altering piece of equipment. If you want to use it, just swap and your skills and go for it. It's quite easy to mess around with your build based on the equipment you have on hand at any point in the game.

I don't mind the idea of game-altering gear being vary rare. Personally, I'm not a fan of the BOA route for gear, but it won't have nearly the level of impact it would have had on D2.

Raticus79

That's kinda terrible. What if you don't like the build that gear enables? Or just don't want to play that class? Easy solution would be to trade it for what you do want. Oh wait....

Yeah, it's a big tradeoff and surprisingly bold. Blizzard seems to be good at market research though, so I guess they must have done their homework on this one and decided it was worth it. It'll be interesting to hear their reasoning if they elaborate on it later.

What most of the posters on the Reddit thread talking about D2 builds seem to be missing is you no longer design your class and spend skill points accordingly. [...]

Right - quick skill changes, easy respec on paragon points to compensate for gear changes, account-wide paragon levels making it easier to switch classes... not sure if they had been laying the groundwork for this for a while but the game's sure primed for that transition to BoA now.

I just want to say that I'm very interested in making a new cold/chill build with frosties

Yeah, that's a great example of one of those build-enabling legendaries. Suddenly you don't need Frost Nova any more to keep things locked down. Blizzard, ice comet, ray of frost, ice armour....

MrDaravon

Right - quick skill changes, easy respec on paragon points to compensate for gear changes, account-wide paragon levels making it easier to switch classes... not sure if they had been laying the groundwork for this for a while but the game's sure primed for that transition to BoA now.

You can respec your Paragon point assignments at any time?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
In Diablo III today, players are used to choosing their build and then going out and buying the gear to support that build. Look up what you need, get the required items from the auction house, and off you go - pretty straightforward. People were expecting to do the same sort of thing with trade channels and forums before Blizzcon. With the self-found endgame due to BoA legendary/set items, things are going to be different.

I think this sort of emergent gameplay, where you're re-evaluating and improvising based on the "build-enabling" legendaries that you happen to get along the way, is what Blizzard was going for.

To me that sounds kind of awesome. However, there should still be some avenue available to chase after a particular class and build if you want to. I think Blizzard is going with the idea that if you want a wizard with a particular gearset then you are going to have to grind after it and farm it yourself instead of simply buying it off the AH.

Personally I think having legendaries be "bind to account on equip" is the best solution. That way a newly dropped legendary could be traded to someone looking for it as long as you didn't use it first, but once you use it then it's locked to your account for good. That would allow for some trading but not the endless huge amounts of trading we see today.

What most of the posters on the Reddit thread talking about D2 builds seem to be missing is you no longer design your class and spend skill points accordingly. Gone are the days of locking yourself into a javazon build, or a summoner, or the like. In D3, if you want to "respec" you just swap out your active skills.

In other words, there's no penalty for finding a class-altering piece of equipment. If you want to use it, just swap and your skills and go for it. It's quite easy to mess around with your build based on the equipment you have on hand at any point in the game.

I don't mind the idea of game-altering gear being vary rare. Personally, I'm not a fan of the BOA route for gear, but it won't have nearly the level of impact it would have had on D2.

And I have no reason to re-roll a character whatsoever.

inky

Yeah, it's a big tradeoff and surprisingly bold. Blizzard seems to be good at market research though, so I guess they must have done their homework on this one and decided it was worth it. It'll be interesting to hear their reasoning if they elaborate on it later.

I feel like boss loot tables for certain build-defining items would fix that problem, but I doubt they would ever do anything like that.

Maybe it would make it seem mechanical, but it'd be nice to have the option if there was no trading at all. It could even be tied to rare bounties and whatnot, to make it feel more special, but Blizzard would probably argue that it would also make it feel "required".

I guess we'll see what they come up with in the end.

And I have no reason to re-roll a character whatsoever.

Exactly. That's a very real negative of the "skill swap" approach to character building that D3 uses. Unless you're interested in playing HC (I've dabbled in it since D2 but it's never been a huge draw for me), there is zero incentive to create new characters after you reach max level with a particular class. There are folks out there with two or three max level monks and I'm left scratching my head. Did they just want the achievement?

Building a character from the ground up to revolve around a particular spec or piece of gear is a complete non-factor in D3. You're always a few mouse clicks away from a different build.

Shifty76

Exactly. That's a very real negative of the "skill swap" approach to character building that D3 uses. Unless you're interested in playing HC (I've dabbled in it since D2 but it's never been a huge draw for me), there is zero incentive to create new characters after you reach max level with a particular class. There are folks out there with two or three max level monks and I'm left scratching my head. Did they just want the achievement?

Building a character from the ground up to revolve around a particular spec or piece of gear is a complete non-factor in D3. You're always a few mouse clicks away from a different build.

Each to their own obviously, but I LOVE the fact that I can just re-spec to whichever spec I want to run, rather than having to painfully go through 60+ levels again just to try something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom