• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Exactly. That's a very real negative of the "skill swap" approach to character building that D3 uses. (...)

Each to their own obviously, but I LOVE the fact that I can just re-spec to whichever spec I want to run, rather than having to painfully go through 60+ levels again just to try something different.

Hold on to your butts, because it's about to get a whole lot swappier. They're planning to remove Nephalem Valor.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1qjws3/story_time_with_wyatt_cheng/

The 3rd topic: Nephalem Valor. The current thinking that they are having is that Nephalem Valor is going to go away. They don't see the benefits that it brought to the game to be relevant anymore. The largest reason they put it in, according to Wyatt, was to prevent people from doing 30 second runs as being the most efficient way to play the game. Now, with the addition of Bounties tied into Adventure Mode, 30 second runs won't exist and simply won't be efficient. He also said that they don't like the idea of people having to do a 15-20 minute "warm up session" before they can really start playing the game. Skill changing has been changed a little bit as well. Changing skills no longer incurs a cooldown on that skill, but you still cannot change skills while they are on cooldown. You cannot change skills while considered to be "in combat" and for about 15 seconds after combat ends.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That makes sense. NV was introduced to address specific issues, and if those issues are being innately solved in more efficient ways by RoS mechanics, then NV doesn't need to exist.

Sothpaw

And I have no reason to re-roll a character whatsoever.

And I don't have to waste precious free time going through the leveling process that I have already gone through with 5 characters. 5 is more than enough for me for the entire lifecycle of a game. And even though the class looks boring, I am sure I will level a crusader too.

Glad they're getting rid of NV. It was very destructive to the flow of the game.

And I don't have to waste precious free time going through the leveling process that I have already gone through with 5 characters. 5 is more than enough for me for the entire lifecycle of a game. And even though the class looks boring, I am sure I will level a crusader too.

Glad they're getting rid of NV. It was very destructive to the flow of the game.

I remember once playing in a group; one guy had an awesome build which mowed down every body. In the span of a few minutes, questions were asked regarding the build and those playing that character switched to the build.

It was at that moment in time that I realized that Ire-rolling a character to switch things up was absolutely pointless. Some people love this aspect of the game, but personally I don't.

Oh, I agree completely. I have a 33 paragon monk and a 10 paragon WD (took a huge break in the game and am just easing back into it now), and will add a crusader into the mix when the expansion drops.

I have zero interest to reroll either of my characters at this point. In an earlier life, rerolling new characters was one of my favorite features of D2. Now that it's no longer required to try out other builds, I don't know why I ever liked it.

MrDaravon

Removing NV is fine and makes sense given all of the other changes they're making; with the bounties/rifts thing it seems like kind of a non-issue.

Shifty76

Been slowly leveling up my paragon, but it's pretty hard when I try to jump beyond monster power 3 in solo or public games.

Any suggestions on my semi-poor man's gear ?
Should I change my gems ?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/theMrCravens-1643/hero/37454736

HIGHLY recommend making a profile on d3up as their profiles are actually useful for evaluating upgrades.

What kind of budget do you have? Biggest issue I notice is that you have basically no resists, though again it's tough to tell with just a bnet profile link.

Oh, doesn't appear that you have any sustain whatsoever either. How do you plan on staying alive if you're not healing each time you attack?

MadD4mon

Been slowly leveling up my paragon, but it's pretty hard when I try to jump beyond monster power 3 in solo or public games.

Any suggestions on my semi-poor man's gear ?
Should I change my gems ?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/theMrCravens-1643/hero/37454736

I would exchange some the vitality gems for rubys. Your strength seems to be very low which results in a low DPS. Since you only have 3% life leech, the low damage won't keep you alive in big mobs - at least not for long. You can either leave that - if you don't die too often - or switch out Brawler for that LL passive. On the other hand, that would cost you a lot of DPS, so maybe don't do it. :D

Also, your armor is very low. Partly because of what Shifty76 said, your resistances. You've got about 300 on each category but you should have at least 400. Also, switch out Overpower/Killing Spree for Warcry/Impunity. It will give you much higher armor and resistances, thus boosting your EHP. Of course, this depends on what you are lacking at the moment? Die too often on higher MP levels? Then switch to a more defensive build. Is your damage too low? Keep Overpower/Killing Spree.

Are you doing runs in Act1 or are you trying do play through the campaign? The reason I ask is because whirlwind barbs are more suited for trash mobs, not so much for being efficient in every situation.

Anyway, heading to gear. Depending on your budget, there are some thing you could do.

First of all, buy better gloves. They absolutely need strength and yours have none. Look for 200+ strength, 9% critical hit chance and critical damage as well as vitality (60+) if you can afford it.

Your amulet also needs a lot of strength on it, maybe vitality. Try to keep the CC and CD. Look for resist all if you have the budget.

Shoulders have strength and vit. This slot is good chance to stock up on resist all as well. So look for shoulders that have 70+ res, 150+ strength and about 50 vitality. I realize that this less than your current shoulders have but it should help in long run.

Try to get your HP to about 50k and you should be fine. My barb has a similar configuration and I can do runs on MP10 without any problems.

Hope this helps. :)

Hope this helps. :)
Good stuff. Thanks.
I had to go low budget when I geared up from scratch.

Warcry/Impunity sounds like a good change. I was using Overpower/Killing Spree for that extra 10% CC so my fury would regen faster via Battle Rage.

I'll try socketing rubies, and check for those extra stats with my mere 1,5 mil by low bidding.

MadD4mon

Good stuff. Thanks.
I had to go low budget when I geared up from scratch.

Warcry/Impunity sounds like a good change. I was using Overpower/Killing Spree for that extra 10% CC so my fury would regen faster via Battle Rage.

I'll try socketing rubies, and check for those extra stats with my mere 1,5 mil by low bidding.

Good luck with finding the items you need. If you have to a tight budget, I would suggest that you at least get some decent gloves and shoulders. Good amulets tend to be more expensive and will most likely bust your budget.

I think you can get good gloves and shoulders for less than a million.

Raticus79

Really good interview with a full transcription here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/co...f-souls-interview-jason-regier-and-travis-day

(reddit)

Talking about the reasoning behind the new self-found-high-end philosophy with BoA:

Travis Day: ... As for legendary items, we really are trying to double down on making items as powerful as we possibly can. We say all the time, "game changing, not game breaking." The constraint on that is that we want the player to feel powerful, but also feel that you earned it. If you see someone with a really awesome item, we don’t want you to think, "Oh, he just went to the auction house and bought it."

So all of our trading restrictions that we’re putting in place are to help you feel really good about earning your items. And also to give us the option to make them as crazy as we possibly can. When we removed the Auction House we were mostly trying to make the game experience the best it can be without needing one [an AH] and also to find as many ways to make trading still exist while protecting the integrity of the gameplay.

We have a system now that allows you to trade legendaries that drop in a co-op game with anyone else in the game. What we really want is to make the game about playing with your friends. Not just jumping into a game [to trade] and saying, "Hey, look at my stuff."

Lots of other stuff, here's their index for the video to give an idea:
-1:55 Clans and social features. Soul binding and trade restrictions on items in RoS.
-5:00 The coming economy and uses of gold.
-7:10 Class Balance and RoS legendaries.
-11:00 Affixes and hardcaps and item stat diversity. Crushing Blow is back!
-14:30 Giant affix values and upgraded gem bonuses.
-16:20 Magic Find and Paragon points.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
qyra6I1.png

Text exchange between me and a friend back in september.

I thought it was funny.

Shouta

Logged in yesterday and played a bit. Spent a bunch of gold to bring my 3 classes up to relative snuff. All of them are about 85-100k now (based on build) which is nice.

I really hope they redo skills to some degree for RoS. Monk still feels like the synergy between stuff kinda sucks.

Logged in yesterday and played a bit. Spent a bunch of gold to bring my 3 classes up to relative snuff. All of them are about 85-100k now (based on build) which is nice.

I really hope they redo skills to some degree for RoS. Monk still feels like the synergy between stuff kinda sucks.

Exploding palm + bells = instant screen clearing. I'm on MP6 and should probably bump it up since that combo ways waste to things so quickly.

It's almost as crazy as early D2 corpse explosion was.

Raticus79

Try this build while running with a witch doctor or CM wizard:
http://d3up.com/b/1117556/jade#skills

Cyclone strike, then crippling wave with the spirit regen group hitting the group at once, gives enough spirit regen to keep overawe, cyclone strike and exploding palm going at a pretty good rate.

Resolve's pretty much a swap slot here, load up whatever you like. There are also some style choices around where to rely on BoH or the heal rune on cyclone strike for triggering guiding light. I like the range better.

Lower DPS than fists of thunder, but it's really good utility for groups.

Xanathus

So uh, I haven't been keeping up with this game but as someone who isn't planning on playing this until Reaper of Souls hits and will be playing on the ladder system, I probably should try and sell whatever I can on the RMAH ASAP right? Just making sure I'm not making a mistake before listing all my legendaries. I only need $10 more in my Blizzbucks balance to get Reaper of Souls for free.

Azulsky

I think the game broke. I actually crafted better gauntlets(Archon Dex). So many Demonic Essences down the drain.

It also matches ze outfit. I guess I will have to dye the shoulders now.

I also try that build you had on your monk Raticus. I had to modifiy slightly for running solo but otherwise when i party it up I think they want to marry me(spin barb, bola dh, cm wiz)

eblbZzel.jpg

Stats: http://d3up.com/b/1210852

Tc91

Is it pointless in spending gold on upgrading my gear before the expansion? I haven't played in quite a while so I'm guessing my gear is quite out dated.

Just under 100k dps on my Monk. Just been doing Alkaizer runs to grind paragon levels I can run them quite quick.

hitsugi

Is it pointless in spending gold on upgrading my gear before the expansion? I haven't played in quite a while so I'm guessing my gear is quite out dated.

Just under 100k dps on my Monk. Just been doing Alkaizer runs to grind paragon levels I can run them quite quick.

I think it depends on the gear and what upgrades are available.. I mean, we don't really know exactly how ROS is going to work out and whether or not you'll find those upgrades quickly is up in the air D:

Xanathus

The expansion adds 10 more character levels so I'd imagine all of the l60 legendaries would be outclassed by the l70 ones. And if you're going to join the ladder rank system I'd also imagine you would have to start from scratch.

I think the game broke. I actually crafted better gauntlets(Archon Dex). So many Demonic Essences down the drain.

I also try that build you had on your monk Raticus. I had to modifiy slightly for running solo but otherwise when i party it up I think they want to marry me(spin barb, bola dh, cm wiz)

http://i.imgur.com/eblbZzel.jpg[IMG]

Stats: [url]http://d3up.com/b/1210852[/url][/QUOTE]

Jesus, my monk's stats look like shit compared to this :(

Tc91

I think it depends on the gear and what upgrades are available.. I mean, we don't really know exactly how ROS is going to work out and whether or not you'll find those upgrades quickly is up in the air D:

The expansion adds 10 more character levels so I'd imagine all of the l60 legendaries would be outclassed by the l70 ones. And if you're going to join the ladder rank system I'd also imagine you would have to start from scratch.

Ah, maybe it would be better to wait until the expansion. I mean I'm running through my runs quite fast so I'm not having any problems doing what I'm doing, the upgrades would just be to run a higher MP. I'm only running it at around 2-4 at the moment.

Jesus, my monk's stats look like shit compared to this :(

Same D: Not even broke 100k dps on mine.

Shifty76

eblbZzel.jpg

Stats: http://d3up.com/b/1210852

Invisi-dye those pants - makes the Tal's chest look so much better :)

Oh, and Resolve sucks as a passive too - pretty much anything is a better option here (combo strike / BoY / Fleet Footed / Pacifism)

If we're doing show & tell, here's my monk. I recently dropped 30k sheet dps due to switching to a lower dps (but higher CD EF) to maximise nirvana dps instead (which currently sits around 8m actual dps.) Emerald in mainhand would give another 20k or so dps too, but again, not so hot for nirvana.

qshSv5N.jpg

Stats

Sothpaw

Wait for the xpac and hold on to your gold. I guarantee you will find better gear quickly into the xpac. Also loot 2.0 is coming so you will actually be able to...wait for it...FIND GEAR in D3. Shocking I know.

Raticus79

Oh, and Resolve sucks as a passive too - pretty much anything is a better option here (combo strike / BoY / Fleet Footed / Pacifism)

I think it gets a bad rap. It depends on your group's defense. I've been rolling kind of mid-tier lately and it's surprisingly helpful for streamlining the run if people are dying a fair amount otherwise. The ones you listed are better for solo play - that's why I said resolve was the swap slot.

turnbuckle

I don't think it's pointless if you can find upgrades that will either make your runs more efficient, or allow you to do them at a higher MP level. I'm not playing right now, but if I were I'd be focused on grinding paragon. Now is a terrible time to buy top tier stuff but there's gotta be upgrades available relatively cheap.

It's been about 9 months since I last played. I find myself tempted to download the game and mess around with it for a bit, but I'm holding out until ROS. But my barbarian is only about 10 levels from paragon 100..........

Tc91

I don't think it's pointless if you can find upgrades that will either make your runs more efficient, or allow you to do them at a higher MP level. I'm not playing right now, but if I were I'd be focused on grinding paragon. Now is a terrible time to buy top tier stuff but there's gotta be upgrades available relatively cheap.

It's been about 9 months since I last played. I find myself tempted to download the game and mess around with it for a bit, but I'm holding out until ROS. But my barbarian is only about 10 levels from paragon 100..........

That's true, more efficient runs would be amazing. Thing is I've not played in SO long so I have no clue how good the gear is nowadays.

Azulsky

Invisi-dye those pants - makes the Tal's chest look so much better :)

If we're doing show & tell, here's my monk. I recently dropped 30k sheet dps due to switching to a lower dps (but higher CD EF) to maximise nirvana dps instead (which currently sits around 8m actual dps.) Emerald in mainhand would give another 20k or so dps too, but again, not so hot for nirvana.

Stats

Im not really understanding how that build works and how you are figuring out sheet/real dps difference?

I see you sub LS/LoH for healing globes? What is the pickup radius?

I dont see how Resolve is bad mathematically. BoY doesnt do much for me as im not really using any spell with a CD except for Sweeping Wind.

Explain plz I am grasshopper

Shifty76

Im not really understanding how that build works and how you are figuring out sheet/real dps difference?

I see you sub LS/LoH for healing globes? What is the pickup radius?

I dont see how Resolve is bad mathematically. BoY doesnt do much for me as im not really using any spell with a CD except for Sweeping Wind.

Explain plz I am grasshopper

Yeah, with LS going away in RoS I figured I'd future-proof myself. I don't have any pickup radius gear - I just use dashing strike to get me near a globe.

No cooldown on SW, but there is on Serenity ;)

As for the dmg calc, WoL uses mainhand only for it's dmg, so a fast, high dps weapon with a ruby is the preferred option.

I could explain it, but Fitz does a pretty good job of it in his dps calculator video here or you could also use a spreadsheet calculator such as the awesome one HG_Johnny on reddit put together the other day: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Monks/comments/1qnrvl/share_wol_calc_nirvana_set_comparison_tool/

As for a more conventional FoT/SW build, HG_Johnny took Meto's monk true dps calculator spreadsheet, fixed a few errors and added a few things in: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B16HGMLxB14DWWRNTHZQVmhhLVE/edit?pli=1

I believe my old FoT/SW spec was around 2.5m actual dps, so you can see why it didn't take much to convince me to switch it up :)

Oh, as for how nirvana spec works: Fists of Fury rune on WotHF gives a DoT effect on enemies with the second strike of the combo. Each "tick" of the DoT is considered to be a separate spirit generating attack, so when paired with Infused with Light rune on BoH you get basically unlimited spirit for 5 seconds. During that 5 seconds I can drop 11 bells, and with blind and overawe active it results in around 38 million dmg dealt which is enough to 1-shot (as in kill in one cycle) any elite packs on MP8, or take off 70-90% of their health on MP10. I'll have to try MP9 to see if I can knock down elites in one cycle on that MP.

Azulsky

Yeah, with LS going away in RoS I figured I'd future-proof myself. I don't have any pickup radius gear - I just use dashing strike to get me near a globe.

No cooldown on SW, but there is on Serenity ;)

As for the dmg calc, WoL uses mainhand only for it's dmg, so a fast, high dps weapon with a ruby is the preferred option.

I could explain it, but Fitz does a pretty good job of it in his dps calculator video here or you could also use a spreadsheet calculator such as the awesome one HG_Johnny on reddit put together the other day: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Monks/comments/1qnrvl/share_wol_calc_nirvana_set_comparison_tool/

As for a more conventional FoT/SW build, HG_Johnny took Meto's monk true dps calculator spreadsheet, fixed a few errors and added a few things in: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B16HGMLxB14DWWRNTHZQVmhhLVE/edit?pli=1

I believe my old FoT/SW spec was around 2.5m actual dps, so you can see why it didn't take much to convince me to switch it up :)

Oh, as for how nirvana spec works: Fists of Fury rune on WotHF gives a DoT effect on enemies with the second strike of the combo. Each "tick" of the DoT is considered to be a separate spirit generating attack, so when paired with Infused with Light rune on BoH you get basically unlimited spirit for 5 seconds. During that 5 seconds I can drop 11 bells, and with blind and overawe active it results in around 38 million dmg dealt which is enough to 1-shot (as in kill in one cycle) any elite packs on MP8, or take off 70-90% of their health on MP10. I'll have to try MP9 to see if I can knock down elites in one cycle on that MP.

What do 2 handers look like in that build. I have a high roll Skorn and Inna's staff. They probably have enough base damage that at 50% crit chance you would gain more with an emerald than a ruby. Especially considering you can get several bells off so the % actually pans out into real damage.

I was going for resolve because I was seeking a way to fight the Plague+Molten+Reflect groups that seem to pop up often. Serenity I tend to use to edge out those situations, along with Frozen affix, esp if it is Frozen Horde type clusterfuck.

I will have to sit down and mess with the calculator

Shifty76

What do 2 handers look like in that build. I have a high roll Skorn and Inna's staff. They probably have enough base damage that at 50% crit chance you would gain more with an emerald than a ruby. Especially considering you can get several bells off so the % actually pans out into real damage.

I was going for resolve because I was seeking a way to fight the Plague+Molten+Reflect groups that seem to pop up often. Serenity I tend to use to edge out those situations, along with Frozen affix, esp if it is Frozen Horde type clusterfuck.

I will have to sit down and mess with the calculator

2h = crap for nirvana (*except for Flying Dragon if you wait for the IAS proc). You have unlimited spirit so you want as many bells to drop as possible in your 5 secs. My mainhand runs around 1580 dps anyway, so not a whole lot less than a 2h would be, but it's 1.55 attack speed. More slightly lower dmg bells > half that number of higher dps ones.

Resolve helps vs reflect as that's physical but it does NOTHING against plague/molten/desecrate. Since those are the things most likely to kill you...

I prefer dashing strike over serenity. Not only can you ninja around the map, but it can free you up from those cc effects (except fear) and if you cast it right before frozen goes off you avoid the freeze. Plus you can gtfo when needed, whereas serenity gives you 4 secs to break free and if you can't you're hooped.

Just scored a new EF offhand for myself - back to 255k sheet dps but still have the sweet 97% CD and 0.25 aps for nirvana :D

Azulsky

I had this in my stash and I traded some stuff for the Ruby.

9jkBs77.png

I think I need to move up past MP7, shit be dying too fast.

Does the reduced cost bell come out with higher dps in general? I was messing with the 1200% one and the pillar rune for funzies.

Shifty76

Does the reduced cost bell come out with higher dps in general? I was messing with the 1200% one and the pillar rune for funzies.

You mean for nirvana? Spirit is unlimited so you want the highest dps ones you can get. For non-nirvana the reduced cost one is better

Azulsky

You mean for nirvana? Spirit is unlimited so you want the highest dps ones you can get. For non-nirvana the reduced cost one is better

So the only limitation is whether or not the WoTHF dot targets live for the maximum duration of the BoH-IwL effect. In MP7 this is only happening on certain blue groups.

Also trying to get to the point where I can give up OWE. I drop to 420 Res All when i take it off. Still have a few slots without res all though so only a matter o time.

Now all I need to do is get my DH to 60 so she can magically jump from zilch to over 100k dps from all the monk leftover gear.

Shifty76

So the only limitation is whether or not the WoTHF dot targets live for the maximum duration of the BoH-IwL effect. In MP7 this is only happening on certain blue groups.

Pretty much yeah. That's why I can't run under mp7.

Did some mp9 testing last night. KW on a1 died in 1 cycle (5 secs)

Old tree man in the grove died in 2-3 secs :)

MrDaravon

At Paragon 98 with my DH, good lord the grind. I've been running mostly permastrafe because I enjoy it. If I could run MP10 somehow efficiently I would have hit 100 a couple weeks ago, but there's not really any build that can run MP10 "efficiently" as a DH :(. I can facetank MP10 no prob with a grenades build but I don't think it winds up being any faster at all then permastrafing MP2.

I've messed around with Bombardment some and it's an interesting take and works, but I find it incredibly frustrating mostly due to Knockback being such an issue with that build. I can run it at MP8 with pretty much no issues, but again I don't think it winds up being any faster. I might give one or the other a go again just for variety's sake, solo permastrafing MP2 for the last few weeks is mind-numbing lol.

Edit: Huh, I may have just found a way to semi-efficiently run MP7ish using a Stafe build.

MrDaravon

I partially found and partially figured out an interesting Demolition/Bombardment build that's similar to the one Celegus (sp?) runes, but with a few things swapped out. Where his build focuses more on RF/Bombardment with Strafe/Demolition as a disc replenish/defense option I can run Demolition more as primary and Bombardment more for either extremely thick/tanky mobs and some elites. In either case it works well and I can run MP7/8 with minimal issues or deaths which I am kinda salty about only since I've been basically wasting time since I hit p90 or so doing regular permastrafe at MP2. Made it from just hitting 98 to being halfway to 100 in maybe half a day or so of play. It's also nice playing at higher MP because legendaries drop like candy; I'd get maybe one or so on a MP2 run, on MP7/8 I usually get at least 3 minimum and have cleared about 8 or so on just regular Act 1 runs of mostly FW/FoM. Got what seem to be a pretty good Crystal Fist and a Xeph ammy I might be able to actually make some good money on.

Took my new soj for a test run.

mp10 elite kill in 7 secs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r390RRkEVyE

That's hilarious. I've gone back and messed around with Nirvana a bit, I see it's effectiveness but it just doesn't appeal to me at all for some reason.

MrDaravon

I'm a big boy now!

LqvORIr.jpg

Also it was apparently destiny, because on the same run I found my first good/crit Mempo:

WE42pnM.jpg

There's probably no reason I shouldn't sell it at this point though I'm guessing. I'm done with my DH until the expansion hits, and while that's obviously a dps upgrade I'd probably be better off with the 200-250 mil in gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom