• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodh

nah, the regular mortals closed beta has just started a few hours ago. Also, PTR for basic D3 is up for a few days too.

Shifty76

RIP NIrvana :(

Reduced cost LTK build with high spirit regen is pretty strong though. Running with the stun rune on LTK and DS. Pretty much perma-stuns everything.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Thanks, I shall try to use my beta powers wisely.

RIP Nirvana :(

How did they break it? I see FoF has a different DoT effect and there are a few RIP Nirvana threads but I'm not sure what the change was.

-------

We can dye legendaries now - here's a GIF of Zuni set I put together from some screenshots from reddit:

v2kH4Fc.gif

bogg

Er, how does monster power work in the new system? Or does it exist at all. I logged onto the ptr and I can't find shit.

There is something like mp, the torment difficulty has 6 levels, but that is only in RoS.
I don't understand why even patch loot 2.0 and paragon 2.0 in vanilla, from playing the ptr it seems they want to make everyone buy RoS (no adventure mode, highest difficulty is master, etc), so why even bother?

ZenaxPure

There is something like mp, the torment difficulty has 6 levels, but that is only in RoS.
I don't understand why even patch loot 2.0 and paragon 2.0 in vanilla, from playing the ptr it seems they want to make everyone buy RoS (no adventure mode, highest difficulty is master, etc), so why even bother?

Ah that explains it.

Well for me I mostly just wanted to see how the combat played out now so the ptr was good enough for that. I was mostly just curious about monster power cause the max difficulty you can get on the ptr is kind of a joke haha.

Whatever I learned what I wanted, had a lot of fun with my barb on the ptr for the couple of hours I played so I am gonna preorder RoS when I get a chance.

Dahbomb

I didn't really read the patch changes that closely and just skimmed by because I had a lot of things to do on the side.

The basic thing that I got from the Monk was the following:

*A lot more skills have elemental effects which mean you can make Fire/Cold/Lightning Monks where almost all your skills do those elemental effects.

*They made a lot of the Mantras a lot more useful especially Retribution.

*Some runes were reworked and some were buffed.

*Oddly enough some moves that were already good (like Blinding Faith and Cyclone Strike) got big buffs which strikes me as odd.

*Nerfs to stuff like WoL, Breath of Heaven damage rune and SSS. The SSS nerf is still mind boggling, the WoL/BoH nerfs are understandable.

*Most of the Monk skill look really good now except Inner Santuary.

DoT on FoF no longer returns spirit in conjunction with IwL.

That'll do it.

It was fun to play while it lasted though. I'm really excited about some of thee buffs and changes though.

Honestly EP is still my favorite skill and the buff to essence burn seems rad so I wanted to play around with builds other than Nirvana anyway.

I want to build an elemental monk

AEGISX

Banned
Any worries with buying this used? No online codes in the box or anything? (360)
PS3 doesn't have one, Xbox probably don't have one either. You won't get the console exclusive items though. They aren't that important though, they just help you level up to 60 faster.

Raticus79

Honestly EP is still my favorite skill and the buff to essence burn seems rad so I wanted to play around with builds other than Nirvana anyway.

I've been running with EP. For some crazy reason TFiW was buffed to 20% damage taken. It's also a lot easier to tag a ton of mobs at once since we can increase our spirit pool with paragon points (add up to 50 points I think) and spirit generation's a lot faster in general.

Frostburn gloves may end up being BiS for monks. 50% freeze with chill effects, combined with a cold damage sweeping wind. I'm hoping to get some so I can test it - the wrinkle in that plan is SW has never had a proc ratio before, and I'm not sure if they added one in RoS.

I'm really curious to see if we can do something crazy like running Tal Rasha's set to get the meteor procs on a monk, lol. If I happen to get that with my wizard I'll swap it over. That legendary ring that reduces set requirements by 1 is going to be a lot of fun. (The Tal Rasha set bonus is 5 piece, but only the source is class-specific)

Shifty76

That'll do it.

It was fun to play while it lasted though. I'm really excited about some of thee buffs and changes though.

Oh, and to answer the other part of your question, yes, I did expect a nerf.

A nerf though, not a complete nuke of the entire build :/

Dahbomb

Blizzard's entire philosophy with the game is revolved around resource generation and resource spenders. Anything that gives you too much resource (or infinite resources) is game breaking according to their philosophy.

Talaysen

I'm really curious to see if we can do something crazy like running Tal Rasha's set to get the meteor procs on a monk, lol. If I happen to get that with my wizard I'll swap it over. That legendary ring that reduces set requirements by 1 is going to be a lot of fun. (The Tal Rasha set bonus is 5 piece, but only the source is class-specific)

Wait, is the Tal Rasha's set bonus actually not terrible now??? This must be Diablo 4.

Wolfie5

Played a little on highest diffuculty on PTR, could not choose torment, was way too easy. My skills felt more buffed.

Some buggs?

- I seem to have my life steal intact (suppose to be nerfed?)

- only dog skill I have is circle of life and I could get 5 dogs. Should not be possible without passive skill extra dogs, right?

Played a little on highest diffuculty on PTR, could not choose torment, was way too easy. My skills felt more buffed.

Some buggs?

- I seem to have my life steal intact (suppose to be nerfed?)

- only dog skill I have is circle of life and I could get 5 dogs. Should not be possible without passive skill extra dogs, right?

It's not nerfed completely. It no longer exists on level 70 gear.

Blizzard's entire philosophy with the game is revolved around resource generation and resource spenders. Anything that gives you too much resource (or infinite resources) is game breaking according to their philosophy.

Honestly Nirvana would be so OP with reduced cool down and LpSS buffs.

Raticus79

Are beta invites still going out? I'm so salty of everyone who got in :((((

I think there are two kinds of closed beta invitations. For the big waves, people just get an email letting them know they're activated. I haven't heard of any more of those since the one that happened when closed beta started.

The other type (the one I got) are one-off invitations have been trickling out and look like they're sent with a simpler email template. It came with a key I had to copy in. It came from Lylirra directly with her real name in the 'from' field. I was all "who the heck is this person?", thought it was a phishing message at first. They said they were hand-picking some community members, so I might have gotten attention with some good posts or one of the mods over at /r/diablo put in a good word.

ZenaxPure

This is so fun! I'm loving the wizard now. New Ice Climber boots, F you frozen and jailer! level 60 Puzzle ring!!!

What are you rolling with on your wizard? I wanted to play mine a bit on the ptr, but I wasn't really sure what skills I wanted to use. I really want to play it because of Black Hole, but can't use that on the ptr obviously.

MrDaravon

Messing around about in PTR, seems neat but it's kinda hard to get too into it when level 61 items are dropping and there's no adventure mode/bounties/rifts. Also since the cap is 60 you can't do torment, and my decently geared (not top-tier) DH is immediately destroying Master difficulty so eh.

A lot of nice little changes, I'm personally a big fan of the font change but I kinda don't like the commas on item stats. I like them on damage numbers, but not on inventory items for whatever reason. Also digging through the achievements a bit, there's one for completing 150,000 bounties lol.

This is really really stupid but actually made me laugh out loud:

P8iF4y2.jpg

I'm also noticing a LOT of new random follower dialogue in battle.

Vodh

Messed around a bit, gonna roll with dat sweet Frozen Orb wiz in RoS~! Loved that spell in Diablo 2 and it's been brought back really well.

Then I found a decent-looking legendary mace - Odyn Son, +20% lightning damage and 35% to cast chain lightning when attacking. And I'm rolling a Lightning wiz ATM, been playing him for like an hour+ and it's a blast! Diablo is back, everyone. Or at least will be once the patch (and more importantly RoS) hits.

Wolfie5

Found my first legendary

Z4uvuwp.jpg

Don´t think it´s something for me, but it´s got som interesting stats. Might play a little with it, might be good if I could get health globes all the time.

And wow at reduce lvl 20 requirement.

Also, definitely a bug, there is no experience gain from anything at the moment(killing monsters or doing quests).

EDIT:
Some impressions of PTR:
- Forgot that 5 NV stack is removed. Takes some time getting use to it.
- I can change my skills almost instantly(no cooldown), won´t be able to change during battle.
- Items drops less frequently, but more geared towards my class. Opened a resplendant chest once and only 2 items dropped.
- I am playing with Firebomb Pyrogeist rune and I like that you can now have 3 at once that spews fire.
- My Paragon level is 112 at PTR, higher than I thought it would be(expecting 97 or something like that). At my live account it´s 87.

As it looks right now, with lots of skills that have been buffed, the highest difficulty you can play at lvl 60 is not so hard. Feels like MP6 maybe? If you want more challenge you will need higher difficulty and you can only get that through ROS.

Wolfie5

You're capped at 60 in PTR, you only get 61-70 with ROS, and you don't gain Paragon XP unless you are at the level cap (70).

Yeah, but isn´t that only for those that buy ROS? (which I will of course)

I mean right we don´t have access to ROS, so we should be getting experience as if we don´t have ROS.

EDIT:

"Please note: Experience gained for paragon levels will not be reflected in the XP bar. "
That explains it.

MrDaravon

Yeah, but isn´t that only for those that buy ROS? (which I will of course)

I mean right we don´t have access to ROS, so we should be getting experience as if we don´t have ROS.

EDIT:

"Please note: Experience gained for paragon levels will not be reflected in the XP bar. "
That explains it.

Oh okay, I thought even at retail release you weren't going to gain Paragon XP until you hit 70 and people were going to be forced to buy RoS in that manner. This is obviously better, but who on earth is still playing D3 next year and doesn't buy RoS? lol

Talaysen

Oh okay, I thought even at retail release you weren't going to gain Paragon XP until you hit 70 and people were going to be forced to buy RoS in that manner. This is obviously better, but who on earth is still playing D3 next year and doesn't buy RoS? lol

That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do and they must know it. That's literally removing a lot of existing content to force people to buy the expansion. No one with half a brain would do that.

For wiz I'm running Shock Pulse - Living Lightning + Hydra + Meteor. Picked Dominance as a passive and the Magic Weapon rune that generates a shield every time you attack and I can just facetank a lot of stuff with Prismatic Armor on.

By the way, it's actually pretty worthwhile to interact with corpses for loot now. Monster drop rates were signifcantly reduced, but corpses seem to have nearly the same drop rate. I'm not sure it's intentional, but it's actually a good thing so I hope it was.

MrDaravon

By the way, it's actually pretty worthwhile to interact with corpses for loot now. Monster drop rates were signifcantly reduced, but corpses seem to have nearly the same drop rate. I'm not sure it's intentional, but it's actually a good thing so I hope it was.

It's that way on console as well, would get rares and legendaries out of corpses, pots, etc on a regular enough basis where I'd actually go a bit out of my way to get regular chests and interactables.

Ashodin

Yeah I'm rolling through on master with little difficulty. Takes forever to kill things, but still fun.

I have to say I'm not sure I like not seeing drops at ALL honestly. Granted yeah there was a bunch of shit but it was still nice to see things explode into loot. Now they just... explode.

bogg

That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do and they must know it. That's literally removing a lot of existing content to force people to buy the expansion. No one with half a brain would do that.

Well once RoS comes out vanilla is dead, patch 2.0 as it is now makes it worse then it is now on live (master is too easy for end game). Plus the way the client and the menus look its like you are playing a trial version of RoS, so yeah in a way they are "forcing" you to buy the expansion if you want to fully enjoy the game.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
No beta for me, of course.

Played PTR all day and I'm less than impressed. Only found 1 legendary (a guaranteed drop) and it was complete dogshit. Didn't see any cursed chests and all my drops were shit.

Not having any MF really, really sucks.

What happened to the 6-7 legendaries per act clear they were boasting about during E3?

Wolfie5

Found a lvl 70 item on PTR just now:

Two things that makes PTR less fun than current vanilla D3:

1. It´s easy (hardest difficulty is too low, hope they fix it soon)
2. Monster density has been lowered. Why? change it back to live version! Or are we suppose to go back to grinding Act 3 again?

EDIT:
A small thing I just noticed. Health potions are now auto pickup, just like health globes and gold. I usually keep my potions around 100, but when I looked at my inventory it was 160 something. This explains why items seem to disappear after drop. I now realise It was only health potions that had dropped and vanished(picked up) as soon as I moved :)
Would be nice if this was an optional thing. Also they should add gems and crafting material as auto pickup too.

Tc91

No closed beta yet for me, but that doesn't mean I won't get in. Though the vanilla D3 beta I got in by getting a code from a stream giveaway or something.

I've had crazy luck with stream giveaways recently.

Won 20m gold, a mp9 Barb set which I gave to a friend, and 2 rare csgo gun skins which sent the chat crazy. They were all telling me to die :/

Don't remember how I got in the vanilla beta, must of been through opt in. I think it was quite late though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom