• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Exp/hour in the PTR/beta is actually pretty terrible right now. My level 60 starting out was getting maybe 10% as much. If they kept it this way it would be a big incentive for people to grind out as many levels as they can before the patch hits and not do any testing. I think it's probably related to them having tuned things around Crushing Blow when that's no longer in the game. Will see how that plays out in the next patch.

Insaniac

Thanks that makes more sense. I'm getting an itch to play again but I really want to hold out for ROS

Try out the PTR, you can experience the paragon system and the new revamped skills (Wizard so much more fun). You my also run into the cursed chest event, not to mention the revamped legendaries

Dyno

thats understandable. I'm actually going to make a fresh level 1 char for RoS so I can see how the itemization is from a new character perspective.

It's only my first play-through but the loot is pretty damn swell.

In the beginning I picked items that had a bonus to the magic item find. Sometimes I had to pick the lesser item to wear but that sorted itself out rather quickly within Act I.

I'm level 28 and for weapons I mostly have used one of four unique weapons that I found. They were quite powerful and two in particular were my work horses for several levels with nothing even close to being better found.

In addition, I levelled up the Blacksmith Artisan to level 4 and now he knows how to make rare items. Currently I'm using two rare monk weapons he made that are fantastic. My Templar cohort also is currently using a rare weapon and shield that the artisan crafted.

I would say that there is an even mix of unique, rare, and enchanted items that I'm using. Loot 2.0 seems rather generous to the point were my character isn't even really at the mercy of the drop. I've perhaps bought two items from a merchant. At my stage at play they don't even seem necessary for wearables and weapons.

zlatko

Banned
DH is level 59. Close to 60. Once I hit 60 and semi gear up, I'm then taking the Wizard to 60 to do the same.

Once RoS hits it'll be Crusader all the way after I get to 70 with either my Monk, DH, or Wizard and then I can dump a bunch of decent equip his way.

Can't wait for March! :)

Raticus79

I want to be fresh for ROS. I played for like 1.5 years straight. lol

Here's a bit of intrigue for you - almost every thread on the monk forum discussing the fire DoT boom rune on EP in any sort of theorycrafting manner was recently deleted. After that, a thread commenting on that deletion was also deleted.

Turns out that it has a proc rate, and not only that but the proc rate is unusually high, which is why low damage support monks were using it (for life on hit). Stun knuckles and freeze sword would have similar benefits. Someone also mentioned that Backlash went well with this setup - I'm guessing for similar reasons.

(Edit: mild stealth)

It's interesting, but doesn't seem like it would be good enough to warrant that much attention. Maybe there's more to it.

Edit 2: LOL, there's a cover campaign of people making threads containing those keywords to throw off the discussion. Check it out: http://i.imgur.com/1q3G6lK.jpg

Ok, I see it now. People can snapshot the damage on it. Well, that's a lot more useful. Blinding flash, gear swaps, similar to the old Sweeping Wind thing. Gear swapping between the low damage stun stuff and the high damage stuff for the DoT cast. It's a fire skill, so the swap gear could include stuff that boosts fire skills.

Anyone do uber boss runs regularly and have any tips on how to get groups for them? I collected my first and hopefully only 3 infernal machines and would like to make one Hellfire ring just for the sake of doing it (and a nice xp boost for crusader later), but I'm having trouble finding groups in public games because everyone's just farming keys.

Or if any of you guys do them regularly and want to party up for one, I'm down for that too. I don't really know what MP they're usually done on but I can hold my own on MP10 with regular mobs and most packs, dunno how much crazier the bosses might be on 10.

Edit: I'm a CC/AOE wizard if that makes a difference.

zlatko

Banned
Anyone do uber boss runs regularly and have any tips on how to get groups for them? I collected my first and hopefully only 3 infernal machines and would like to make one Hellfire ring just for the sake of doing it (and a nice xp boost for crusader later), but I'm having trouble finding groups in public games because everyone's just farming keys.

Or if any of you guys do them regularly and want to party up for one, I'm down for that too. I don't really know what MP they're usually done on but I can hold my own on MP10 with regular mobs and most packs, dunno how much crazier the bosses might be on 10.

Edit: I'm a CC/AOE wizard if that makes a difference.

SPeaking of both Wizards and keys:

I got a key on legendary. What is it for? The only secret content I knew of was the "rainbow" level. Which I'm still missing two items for, blah.

As for Wizard: Just started mine up the other day and wow do I love this class so far. Will wait till 60 to reserve full judgment on how it plays in end game, but up to 30 fun as hell.

SPeaking of both Wizards and keys:

I got a key on legendary. What is it for? The only secret content I knew of was the "rainbow" level. Which I'm still missing two items for, blah.

As for Wizard: Just started mine up the other day and wow do I love this class so far. Will wait till 60 to reserve full judgment on how it plays in end game, but up to 30 fun as hell.

The keys are for endgame farming to build machines that let you open portals to double boss battles that can drop mats for a legendary xp boost ring.

zlatko

Banned
The keys are for endgame farming to build machines that let you open portals to double boss battles that can drop mats for a legendary xp boost ring.

Ah I see. I just read up on it a little bit ago.

Sounds like a LOT of work for the Hellfire Ring's. Blah. :/

Is it the best ring you can put in 1 slot for your character if you get the appropriate stats to populate?

Also, is Wizard still amazing in the game's current state? I am not sure if it's that or Barb that is "the best" right now.

Couldn't tell you. Haven't gotten a ring and I don't play any of the other classes. Only picked back up fairly recently, myself. I kind of get the impression they're still only viable with very specific specs.

Xanathus

Ah I see. I just read up on it a little bit ago.

Sounds like a LOT of work for the Hellfire Ring's. Blah. :/

Is it the best ring you can put in 1 slot for your character if you get the appropriate stats to populate?

Also, is Wizard still amazing in the game's current state? I am not sure if it's that or Barb that is "the best" right now.

It's actually not the best ring for a level 60 because other legendary or perfect roll rings can give you a big enough boost to let you farm in higher monster power difficulties for better drop rates and exp. However the ring is a must for levelling your alts.

neoism

a guys whats the best way to reinstall... my hhd died on me so I got an ssd... I have a backup of the diablo 3 folder.. or do I use the disc or something

Krassus

Fresh 60 DH w/ 360kish dps also looking to do Hellfire ring. Luxury#1795, would be down to spend some time this weekend or an evening to knock it out.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
a guys whats the best way to reinstall... my hhd died on me so I got an ssd... I have a backup of the diablo 3 folder.. or do I use the disc or something

If you have a decent connection I would just reinstall directly via the battle.net desktop app.

Raticus79

The vote for the legendary effect for the Mephisto 1H sword is up:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/12383904/

I went for option 2. Group friendly, no downsides, scales with difficulty since T6 mobs are going to be hitting each other pretty hard. It would also help gather mobs on your target which is good for HOTA, etc.

I bet option 4 will win since it sounds a lot cooler, though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I voted option 4, the reactive mephisto ability procs. Seems very cool and potentially the strongest option for bosses/elites.

Raticus79

That's true, 4 is better for one-on-one fights. Hopefully they just do both. I doubt they'd even be on the list if the effects weren't already determined to be doable.

Talaysen

I like 4 because it emphasizes multi-elemental builds. There's not really anything that makes you want to do that other than the properties of the skills themselves.

Dahbomb

#2 option is over powered as this Legendary would be god tier for T6 difficulty. Taunted enemies would basically die very fast as they would get killed by their partners.

#4 sounds good in theory but it really depends on the proc and how the attacks actually scale. If it's like 100% weapon damage with a low chance to proc then that's not that good.

#3 seems only good for Hardcore play and even then it would be situational so not that good.

I honestly like #1 the most. It has a legitimate drawback to make up for its strength. It would make higher difficulties more interesting as you would do more damage but you could also die faster. Can result in some extreme glass cannon builds.

Raticus79

I'm confused about what's going on with cleave there. Is it being removed or something?

DiabloFans has some bugs in the way they do their comparisons. Something offsets their numbers and the values stop lining up. I'd wait for that one to be revised. (Same with the DH companion stuff, those are all messed up)

Anoregon

I know it's pretty much impossible, but I would be so pumped if they made a D2-ish Diablo model for the uber events. Titty Diablo just aint cutting it

Dahbomb

Damn at the Inna set buffs!

They have basically changed some of the way weapon damage % value are effected by Legendaries, it's on all of them. Can someone explain what that actually is?

Like how is [Value 1 *100]% different from 100%?

Seems like they nerfed the 0 cooldown SSS build. It's not going to be 0 CD anymore... seems to be the case for a lot of moves.

Looking at the class changes they actually buffed SSS by a lot. I like that, increasing its damage by almost 2.5x.

zlatko

Banned
LOVE Wizard. Just a fun as hell class to me.

What's the fastest way to level to 60 with it? I was looking at the official forums and nothing was "decided" on or I'm missing the thread I have to read for it.

I'm using electrocute with crit rune.

Ice beam with more dmg as you do it rune.

Astral something to make 4 bombs surround me. Diamond armor to increase dmg of spells. electroctue armor to rain down dmg on enemies, and the familiar that increases damage for first rune you can do.

My passives I'm unsure of at the moment but i think it's glass cannon, ice dmg buff, and something else I can't recall since I'm at work.

I can kill waves of enemies with electrocute easily, the ice beam destroys bosses with diamond armor on, and i can protect myself with those 4 bombs hovering around me.

Thoughts?

BearPawB

Banned
Ok. So Diablo peeps, I have the urge to play D3.
With the new expansion coming out what should I do.

When the game came out. I got to max level on my WD. Started inferno. Could never beat the butcher. Played the game once or twice since them and am like paragon level 2.

Still can't beat the butcher.

Is it even worth playing until the expansion comes out? Can i take full advantage if i dont have a character that has cleared inferno?

Should i just start a new character?

ferr

Ok. So Diablo peeps, I have the urge to play D3.
With the new expansion coming out what should I do.

When the game came out. I got to max level on my WD. Started inferno. Could never beat the butcher. Played the game once or twice since them and am like paragon level 2.

Still can't beat the butcher.

Is it even worth playing until the expansion comes out? Can i take full advantage if i dont have a character that has cleared inferno?

Should i just start a new character?
It's fun even in its current state. Just get a ton of +resistance gear and you'll cut right through inferno like butter.

Raticus79

Big post from Travis Day on drop rates: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=12#229

Hello folks,

This has been a topic of much discussion within the community so I wanted to take the time to sit down and talk to everyone about drop rates. I'll start out by saying when F&F went out we set the rates far higher than we knew was appropriate because we wanted to get as much feedback and testing on the new and revised legendary and set items as possible. Over the course of F&F the unanimous feedback both internally and from the community was that the drop rates were too high. We knew this ahead of time but we wanted testers to get their hands on as many cool things as possible while also helping us debug and, ya know, test things.

Going into our subsequent beta waves we said we wanted to start narrowing in on what the appropriate drop rates were for legendaries. We had set forth some goals and stated internally what our design intent was so we adjusted these values to reflect a more practical farming environment. As a general rule people won't speak up if you being too rewarding, usually only a handful of people in a crowd will vocalize that "things may be a bit too high" in terms of drop rate. So when the entirety of our player base and internal team were swarming us with this feedback we knew the drop rates were actually FAR too high. Based on that feedback and also the detailed drop rate data that we track and review on a daily basis, we lowered the drop rates to something more reasonable and closed to what we wanted for release of RoS. For the record, I literally told people internally that I actively wanted to hear the feedback that drop rates were too low. We decisively found where too high was, we needed to find the lower bounds of reasonable so that we could narrow in on a place that would be best for the game.

Now with that said, the data that we have has shown us that drop rates are in the right ball park but that's not to say they are final. A big piece of the pie that was missing was that we always intended for Kadala to be able to generate legendary items. More specifically she was intended to help give players more direct control over their ability to find specific items they were after. Not to the tune of "I want X item so I buy it" but we wanted players to have a degree of control by saying "Man I really want X helm, so I'll spend all my Blood Shards buying helms and try to get the one I'm after eventually". The environment that you have all been playing in has been missing this key piece of the puzzle for quite some time. When we are talking about the overall income of legendary items and finding a good pace for them Kadala has always been intended to factor into this. We are very actively tracking data and adjustments will be made to narrow in more as we proceed. However since obviously you all haven't had the insight into these conversations I'm here to say that you've only been seeing a piece of the pie and with the latest patch should now be seeing the full picture.

A couple of other related notes, Rifts have always been intended to feel highly rewarding and we don't think they are there yet. We want the obvious answer when someone asks "Whats the most rewarding thing I can kill with the time I have?" to be Rifts, this is part of why access to them is restricted by keys, they are meant to be AWESOME!. We have a plan changed that I'll be hotfixing in hopefully today or tomorrow to add a reasonably large number of Blood Shards to the loot run boss but more importantly to give him a chance to drop Forgotten Souls. One of the problems that has been expressed here is how legendary and rares compare, barring the obviously build changing ones. A large part of the reason that players sometimes have a hard time replacing a rare with a legendary that should be an upgrade is because, generally, you are comparing rares that have been enchanted many times over to a stock legendary. We want the act of enchanting legendaries to have some degree of investment but what you are seeing in the beta is too much. In addition to being able to use the, soon to be acquired, crafting mats to enchant your legendary items it will also allow everyone a reasonable amount more access to the crafting legendaries.

Lastly on the topic of split farming, this is very clearly not how we want players to play the game. We know of the problems it causes as well as the reasons its occurring and are actively discussing ways to address the problem. While we love coop and we want players to enjoy playing the game together, the right answer should obviously not be "Lets play coop and all go solo in the game!". I'm walking into a meeting as soon as I post this to discuss the issue and possible solutions.

Hopefully this helps clear the air some and I'll touch back in later to answer more questions.

Dahbomb

They really need to get their shit in order with the launch of the game just around the corner. The game in its current state wouldn't survive 2-3 months.

Raticus79

Travis made a bunch of followup posts in that thread.

He explained one of the new systems in RoS. If you're killing stuff for too long without getting a legendary, your legendary drop chance eventually starts increasing until you get one. It's in there as a failsafe to avoid extreme dry spells.

IceMarker

He explained one of the new systems in RoS. If you're killing stuff for too long without getting a legendary, your legendary drop chance eventually starts increasing until you get one. It's in there as a failsafe to avoid extreme dry spells.

Should've been like that a year ago.

Dahbomb

That's interesting actually. Is that implemented in the current build?

Edit: It seems like this mechanic is already implemented although it may not be working as intended. They should look into it because people definitely go many hours without finding a Legendary.

Dyno

I have questions about NG+ and difficulty levels.

I finished my first Diablo run. My monk is 33rd level. I got my treasure-finding up as high as I could and it worked out for me. I'm wearing all legendary equipment except for one piece that's rare. (I'm going somewhere with all this swag bragging.)

Act 3 and 4 were pretty easy. I got too overpowered and the balance was thrown off. The bosses would barely hurt me and I would get the health back before they hurt me again. Also, around half way through act for I ran out of new things to do at the camp. By that I mean crafting and upgrading. The blacksmith was one XP segment away from Level 5. To do so I needed some specific pages, not money. So I couldn't build any new items past Level 27. Also the gem dude wants specific pages to learn how to make perfect gems. I found none of those either and so I've been stockpiling flawless gems until later.

I know these things appear in other play-throughs, which I'm going to do now. So what difficulty do you recommend? I'm going from Normal to Hard but then how far should I tweak it within the level? All the way up, part way up? What does that tweak do in terms of enemy power and loot drop?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Insaniac

thats great. I love getting that legendary that really gives me another good push into farming more. its one of the enjoyable things about farming for items

hitsugi

It's fun even in its current state. Just get a ton of +resistance gear and you'll cut right through inferno like butter.

No, the game is a terrible mess.. Arguably as bad if not worse than D3 was a few months after launch. Dahbomb is right, although I don't know if he's actually spent time with RoS.

turnbuckle

haven't been following updates much at all for a month or two. Last time I really was paying attention it seemed like the feedback on the game was generally good to very good.

What's happened that make people now say it's almost as bad as D3 (around the time of Ubers)?

Stripes55

Neo Member

FINALLY!!! I think I made that suggestion WAYYYYY back in this thread somewhere. It was just frustrating, playing several hours at a time without ever seeing any.

Shifty76

I have questions about NG+ and difficulty levels.

I finished my first Diablo run. My monk is 33rd level. I got my treasure-finding up as high as I could and it worked out for me. I'm wearing all legendary equipment except for one piece that's rare. (I'm going somewhere with all this swag bragging.)

Act 3 and 4 were pretty easy. I got too overpowered and the balance was thrown off. The bosses would barely hurt me and I would get the health back before they hurt me again. Also, around half way through act for I ran out of new things to do at the camp. By that I mean crafting and upgrading. The blacksmith was one XP segment away from Level 5. To do so I needed some specific pages, not money. So I couldn't build any new items past Level 27. Also the gem dude wants specific pages to learn how to make perfect gems. I found none of those either and so I've been stockpiling flawless gems until later.

I know these things appear in other play-throughs, which I'm going to do now. So what difficulty do you recommend? I'm going from Normal to Hard but then how far should I tweak it within the level? All the way up, part way up? What does that tweak do in terms of enemy power and loot drop?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Whatever difficulty is high enough to make things not a cakewalk, and difficult enough that if you do something silly, or get overwhelmed by mobs you die. Impossible to say "you should do this specific difficulty level" as that varies by player skill, gear, play style etc.

Dahbomb

No, the game is a terrible mess.. Arguably as bad if not worse than D3 was a few months after launch. Dahbomb is right, although I don't know if he's actually spent time with RoS.
I haven't spent time with the RoS beta but I do have some friends who have the beta so I mostly watch them play. I also watch some streams but I feel that I get a better gauge of quality from what your average gamer/fan is playing.

And the experience is not that good for the average player.

I would say in some ways its even worse than launch D3. Like at the highest difficulty in launch D3... both you and the enemies died quick if the gear was good. In this version.... the enemies take forever to kill to the point of sucking out any enjoyment from the game. You hit brick walls in this version fairly frequently only instead of Acts... it's the difficulty scaler (so you would hit a wall right before Torment I, then hit another at Torment II etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom