• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Blue post update, they're reducing legendaries from gambling and doubling legendary drop rates.

Hey folks I'm back with some clarifications and some news that should please everyone.

First the clarification, the timer system that works behind the scenes is meant to be exactly that, behind the scenes. No you can't afk the system, there are a lot of moving pieces to it and we talked about it extensively before we implemented it to guarantee its not exploitable. At it's heart Diablo is a game about slaughtering demons and getting random cool rewards. The system that is in place should never be experienced by 99% of the population, it's there for the 1% who just get really bad random rolls for an excessively long period of time. If we want you to get a legendary every 2 hours, the system basically says "ok it's been like double/triple that period of time, just help the guy out!"

Second and more importantly. I'm in the process of working up another hotfix for the beta that will do 2 things.

1. Reduce the chance for Kadala to give legendary items. We have a lot of solutions to the split farming problem but they are going to take a little time to be put in place and in the mean time we don't want peoples feedback to be completely skewed based on her rewards. This reduction will be revisited once we fix all the split farming issues.

2. Double the legendary drop rate. Your feedback hasn't been falling on deaf ears, and much discussion and deliberation has gone into it. We know that drop rates aren't exactly where we want them right now and it's very important to us to get as much feedback as possible during our beta. We are going to adjust the legendary drop rates via hotfix so that you guys have as much time as possible to test and give us feedback on how the changes feel, also more time for us to compile data and get RoS to be the best it can be.

Now I'm actively getting the feeling that they don't know what they're doing; they seemed very confident before that they were in the right ballpark for drop rates, now they're doubling that? Uhhhhh

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ha, people are going to go crazy trying to figure out this drop rate failsafe system now. It's going to be like the Ancient Cyclops spawn from Everquest all over again.

Doubling the drop rate from mobs and cutting the return from gambling will certainly help with the split farming, although I have a feeling people are still going to be doing it on normal until there's another fix. The bounty bags are pretty rewarding on their own.

IceMarker

I'm glad I haven't got into RoS beta or played the PTR yet. Seems like the best time to play would be on release with all the changes happening still.

Dahbomb

Now I'm actively getting the feeling that they don't know what they're doing; they seemed very confident before that they were in the right ballpark for drop rates, now they're doubling that? Uhhhhh
The ballpark they were talking about was within a 10x differential. They pretty much said that its very likely they will double Legendary drop rates.

So hearing about the new expansion has me interested in Diablo III again. I haven't played since the summer it came out? Just wondering if someone could give me a extremely brief rundown of what I have missed over the past year or so...

IceMarker

So hearing about the new expansion has me interested in Diablo III again. I haven't played since the summer it came out? Just wondering if someone could give me a extremely brief rundown of what I have missed over the past year or so...

If I'm assuming correctly that you haven't played since 1.0.1, you've missed Infernal Machine bosses, paragon leveling, monster power, brawling (PvP-lite), Identify All, and a bunch of other balance and quality of life changes. Most of this will change when RoS comes out anyways, along with the AH getting killed.

Also, does anyone know what the different elemental damage types do now? Cold damage still slows, does poison DoT, does lightning chain, etc?

If I'm assuming correctly that you haven't played since 1.0.1, you've missed Infernal Machine bosses, paragon leveling, monster power, brawling (PvP-lite), Identify All, and a bunch of other balance and quality of life changes. Most of this will change when RoS comes out anyways, along with the AH getting killed.

Also, does anyone know what the different elemental damage types do now? Cold damage still slows, does poison DoT, does lightning chain, etc?

Thanks. Main thing I heard about is AH getting the axe. Pretty stoked to see how that will turn out. Definitely going to look into those changes and pick up RoS when its out.

Dahbomb

Blizzard is asking for everyone's feedback and best/worst Legendaries in RoS. You have to explain why and in the ones you don't like you have to give suggestion to improve them.

My favorite new Legendaries:

1) Cam' Rebuttal - Allows you to use Fallen Sword twice.

This is the type of Legendary I like. It gives an interesting effect to one skill and makes you want to use Fallen Sword. Its not just a straight damage buff, it makes you more active in combat. The skill itself isn't that great but that's a balancing issue... I would totally build a Fallen Sky build around this Legendary.

There are many Legendaries like this like the Daibo that removes Seven Sided Strike CD or increases AOE of Breath of Heaven. These I generally like.

2) Golden Oxen set

This set bonus is OUTRAGEOUS! Its over powered but in an awesome way. This is one of those set bonuses you strive to get because it gives you ALL Furious charge runes for a ridiculous build. Because you need all the set pieces its hard to make but it looks rewarding if you do get it.

3) Immortal Kings Legend set bonus

Again, this is another set bonus worth getting Call of Ancients aren.'t great but this bonus makes me want to try it out. That's the sign of a good Legendary affix, that it makes me want to change up the way I play.

My least favorite Legendaries:

1) Genzaniku : Chance to summon a fallen champion.

I feel many Legendaries which summon a unit as a proc are underwhelming. They don't make a big enough impact on the battle. I feel like summoned units should have an extra support ability (like increased resource generation when they appear) to aid you in battle. Or better yet they should suppor your skills/builds in some way.

2) Legendary Bracers - Picking up gold grants experience

This Legendary is straight up garbage. The extra EXP is negligible. I feel like this should be reworked completely or the boost be dramatic like say gold gives you 10x experience or something. Or have a Legendary affix that converts your Gold find into +EXP% bonus.

3) Ice Climbers - Freeze immunity

I feel that just like the immunity rings which were removed... this is in the same level of being OP. Its too much of a no brainer as it gives immunity to one of the biggest killers in the game.

I feel that such a strong defensive affix needs to come at a cost. Something like Freeze immunity but you take way more fire damage. This would make you think before equipping it.

Svafnir

I have started to make an item database for Reaper of Souls. Check it out here.

Note: It's currently a work in progress. I know it's not the best looking thing ever but I am the only person left working on the website and design is not my strong suit! But I will learn and maybe find someone to help with design soon. If anyone from NeoGaf is interested in joining me on the website team just send me a message.

Anyway, with Reaper of Souls adding a large amount of new legendary items I thought it would be a good idea to add an item database. However because the Mystic can change the stats of an item, I didn't think it was important to list an items random stats. Instead this database will go into detail about every legendary property and all the guaranteed stats an item can have.

The end goal features are:
- Videos of each items effect
- Details about Internal Cooldowns
- The exact damage an effect does
- Basically just fully explaining exactly what the item does

Currently I only have some items listed and will be going through the process of adding all the new items (and indepth details about them) before Reaper of Souls launches. For now I just wanted to share the bare bones system so that you guys not in the beta can read the new item effects.

In the end I hope it will be similar to my legendary item effect guide but providing much more detail. I also plan on being able to search for certain effects such as items that summon monsters, deal elemental damage, removed skill cooldowns, etc.

ravien56

Hey guys. So I finally got to level 60 on my wizard. Where should I go from here? I guess I should be trying to get some better gear but I had some questions.

Is act 3 the best area to farm xp and gear? Should I be trying nightmare difficult with mp5 solo to get better gear?

Opiate

So I think I've officially decided not to get the expansion to this game. The removal of the auction house just thoroughly killed my interest.

MrDaravon

So I think I've officially decided not to get the expansion to this game. The removal of the auction house just thoroughly killed my interest.

You should at least cash out all of your gear for real money while you can (IIRC didn't you have a crazy EF along with some other stuff?).

Our HC characters never knew each other. lol

And yeah I'm pretty bummed about the AH removal too. Albeit for different reasons I'm sure.

Fularu

Banned

Too bad :/ I'm positive the account bound change will be reverted down the road to, at least, bind on trade.

Rings/Necks should still prove valuable though (since you can still trade rares just fine)

IceMarker

I don't know how anyone could want the AH to stick around.

Well, it could've been better implemented. Now we have to deal with [H][W] chat bots even more again.

I'd like to see a replacement though, like a trading post. (Items only, more personal trading.)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Legendaries and gold are account bound. Any trade for rares would need to be bartering for other rares.

I hit close to max achievable strength with rares after a week of play in the beta. Even if people switch to RMT for it, that market's going to be massively oversupplied.

plenilune

I won't be getting RoS either, but not for lack of AH. I feel that Loot 2.0 and the expansion still do little to encourage build diversity, as the core game (skills/character dev.) is still as boring as ever. It is too streamlined for there to be any interesting interactions. The game needed to change more fundamentally, not this window dressing.

inky

I think I won't be getting it either. I'm indifferent to the AH and BoA changes, but nothing on the streams or the on the PTR has piqued my interest as I thought it would. Before, I had quite a few real life friends who were playing it which was enjoyable enough, and the rest of the time I tried to justify it as being the good 'ol single player Diablo experience, just with 150ms of latency, but that won't work anymore. Blizzard's slowness and non-committal to aggressively update the game after launch just provide no benefits to me for it being always online (even less with the AH and trading gone for good) like other games I've been playing since have. That's despite the cost, which I think is fair.

It will probably remain unmatched in raw combat feel (even with the lag and jumps) but that is not enough when the other parts of the game are not up to par imo. The loot is better, but the stats system behind it and character building is roughly the same, and the couple of new tricks it brings are not enough for me. I've spent twice the amount of time I did with D3 since launch on Marvel Heroes now, in less than a year, and MH keeps adding content at a neck-breaking speed. PoE is the same. Together with some other games, I can't justify the time I'd be putting into D3 when I enjoy other ARPGs better, and where I actually get something back every other week for the inconvenience that is depending on the game to be up online to play and the downside to the combat that brings.

JCizzle

I have started to make an item database for Reaper of Souls. Check it out here.

Note: It's currently a work in progress. I know it's not the best looking thing ever but I am the only person left working on the website and design is not my strong suit! But I will learn and maybe find someone to help with design soon. If anyone from NeoGaf is interested in joining me on the website team just send me a message.

Anyway, with Reaper of Souls adding a large amount of new legendary items I thought it would be a good idea to add an item database. However because the Mystic can change the stats of an item, I didn't think it was important to list an items random stats. Instead this database will go into detail about every legendary property and all the guaranteed stats an item can have.

The end goal features are:
- Videos of each items effect
- Details about Internal Cooldowns
- The exact damage an effect does
- Basically just fully explaining exactly what the item does

Currently I only have some items listed and will be going through the process of adding all the new items (and indepth details about them) before Reaper of Souls launches. For now I just wanted to share the bare bones system so that you guys not in the beta can read the new item effects.

In the end I hope it will be similar to my legendary item effect guide but providing much more detail. I also plan on being able to search for certain effects such as items that summon monsters, deal elemental damage, removed skill cooldowns, etc.

This is awesome. I'll definitely be interested in something like this once I start playing again with the changes in place.

Have zero interest in getting this for PC after playing it on PS3. However, I will not be purchasing the PS4 edition either unless it is running with PC mob density. The low mob density on PS3 kills the fun after hitting paragon 20. You level SO insanely slow because there are no monsters to kill. This also means you are not getting upgrades at all. I haven't seen an upgrade to my gear since I hit paragon 15 or so. Just hit paragon 40 last night and I can not play anymore at all. I'm really hoping they fix this for the PS4.

Have zero interest in getting this for PC after playing it on PS3. However, I will not be purchasing the PS4 edition either unless it is running with PC mob density. The low mob density on PS3 kills the fun after hitting paragon 20. You level SO insanely slow because there are no monsters to kill. This also means you are not getting upgrades at all. I haven't seen an upgrade to my gear since I hit paragon 15 or so. Just hit paragon 40 last night and I can not play anymore at all. I'm really hoping they fix this for the PS4.

Pretty sure they already said it won't have the PC mob density because it's too hard with a controller and not as precise as a mouse. At least I recall reading that somewhere.

Pretty sure they already said it won't have the PC mob density because it's too hard with a controller and not as precise as a mouse. At least I recall reading that somewhere.

How about they leave that up to the player base? I have zero issue with Master IV, I do not do Master V because it is just a little to slow. Too hard with a controller is just a lame reason.

I hope they come around, otherwise I will not be purchasing this on PC or PS4.

MrDaravon

How about they leave that up to the player base? I have zero issue with Master IV, I do not do Master V because it is just a little to slow. Too hard with a controller is just a lame reason.

I hope they come around, otherwise I will not be purchasing this on PC or PS4.

On last-gen systems it was a hardware constraint; that's basically ~8 year old hardware, and I'm pretty sure they outright said it was technical limitations. They have said that the PS4 version will have higher mob density but not AS high as PC, not sure if that's still a technical restraint or a design choice, but it's not gonna be PC density.

On last-gen systems it was a hardware constraint; that's basically ~8 year old hardware, and I'm pretty sure they outright said it was technical limitations. They have said that the PS4 version will have higher mob density but not AS high as PC, not sure if that's still a technical restraint or a design choice, but it's not gonna be PC density.

Well then they need to adjust drop rates and experience gain. Keeping the same experience requirements on a system that has a drastic difference in mob density is garbage.

Do you have a link to them stating that PS4 mob density will not be as high as PC?

MrDaravon

Well then they need to adjust drop rates and experience gain. Keeping the same experience requirements on a system that has a drastic difference in mob density is garbage.

Do you have a link to them stating that PS4 mob density will not be as high as PC?

I can't find it, trying to do a search on the internet for that is just giving me a ton of hits on density changes for the RoS beta. Ratticus or someone might remember specifically where that was said, I'm 99% sure I recall them saying that in an interview at some point.

Fularu

Banned
I can't find it, trying to do a search on the internet for that is just giving me a ton of hits on density changes for the RoS beta. Ratticus or someone might remember specifically where that was said, I'm 99% sure I recall them saying that in an interview at some point.

Monster density on PS360 was mostly on purpose because of the controller change. Act III retained about half of its original density, but then again it's mostly corridor based so it was probably easier.

MrDaravon

Monster density on PS360 was mostly on purpose because of the controller change. Act III retained about half of its original density, but then again it's mostly corridor based so it was probably easier.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281758533#17

Difficulty levels and Monster Power operate a little differently on console. There will still be Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno, and completing one mode will unlock the next mode -- just like on PC. Also, within each of these modes players will able to select from different difficulty levels to suit their preferred level of challenge. On console, however, there are only 8 settings: Easy, Medium, Hard, Master I, Master II, Master III, Master IV, and Master V. At Medium and higher in Inferno, density does increase, but the increase won't be as significant as what you'd typically see on PC (due to performance issues). Similar to MP on PC, higher difficulty settings present more powerful enemies that will have opportunity to reward players with more powerful loot.

There's way less enemies in most areas on console and the camera is is zoomed in more. I don't doubt it's partially a design choice, but I think the fact they had to cram this onto consoles that had their hardware spec'd sometime in 2004 is by far the driving factor. I'm honestly impressed the game runs as smooth as it does on consoles honestly.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What the fuck happened to this game on twitch? It used to be near the top now there isn't anyone with even 100 viewers.

I wanted to watch some streams to see some efficient farming, I only have a level 60 monk but I saw everyone farming with Barbarians ability to leap around and just whirlwind everywhere. I wanted to see if anyone was able to do it with monk..

Is there no point to playing this game until RoS comes out or something?

JCizzle

What the fuck happened to this game on twitch? It used to be near the top now there isn't anyone with even 100 viewers.

I wanted to watch some streams to see some efficient farming, I only have a level 60 monk but I saw everyone farming with Barbarians ability to leap around and just whirlwind everywhere. I wanted to see if anyone was able to do it with monk..

Is there no point to playing this game until RoS comes out or something?

At least until the new patch pre expansion IMO, but I was never a serious player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom