• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talaysen

For me Gold AH is a great place to unload thousands of crafting materials (yes i still pick up blues) to fund crafting those account bound armors and amulets, gems, etc. The fundamental loot problem still lies within the core loot mechanic that severely focus on primary stats, crits and attack speed. The AH just exacerbate that problem further but I don't think it is the primary culprit.

Agreed. People are quick to blame the AH when it's not really the main issue.

In fact, if you took Diablo II and did nothing but add an AH to it, I definitely could not say it would make the game worse.

Dahbomb

Quadfecta items will be a thing of the past come RoS. They want to promote build diversity and itemization diversity.

I'm not even sure you can get trifectas anymore, let alone avg dmg/stat/CC/cd/IAS on a single item
You can still get trifecta + main stat but you can't get a perfect 5-6 roll on say a Ring.

mileS

Alright I need help with my Barb. I'm coming back from a long break with about 300-400mil to spend in hopes to get good enough gear to rip through paragon levels as fast as possible. The Rend/WW/Thrive on Chaos spec looks to be the best for this (solo mind you) I already had a 1400dps Skorn with 167% crit dmg (yea I know its low) and no life steal. Can I get away with no life steal on the Skorn? would I be forced to take the bloodthirst passive? I assume at the very least I would need a belt with life steal (already have a decent witching hour tho) I dunno. I guess I'm just looking for general tips on what to spend my extra gold on to gear up my barb to smoothly grind paragon xp as fast as possible.

Wolfie5

I am no Barbarian expert, but forget any items with life steal as it will be pretty much removed when the next patch hits. (At lvl 60 it will be only 1/10th of its original effect and at lvl 70 it won't have any effect. Removed at lvl 70).

mileS

I am no Barbarian expert, but forget any items with life steal as it will be pretty much removed when the next patch hits. (At lvl 60 it will be only 1/10th of its original effect and at lvl 70 it won't have any effect. Removed at lvl 70).

Yes but that won't be out until RoS is or literally just before it correct?

Xanathus

So I sold all my gems today in preparation for RoS, what else should I sell?

Not sure if that was a good idea, people are actually stocking up on cheap gems because they're going to lower the gem crafting costs massively in loot 2.0/RoS so you could make Marquises cheaply since they will be dropped.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if that was a good idea, people are actually stocking up on cheap gems because they're going to lower the gem crafting costs massively in loot 2.0/RoS so you could make Marquises cheaply since they will be dropped.

Marquise is the highest gem you can currently craft, and in RoS they drop from level 61 monsters so there's absolutely no point in keeping/buying gems now.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm the only one who loves that the AH is being removed and almost all the gear is BOA. >.>

Not at all, I'd say most people are happy the AH is gone as it ruined the game in a lot of people's eyes (myself included), the drop rates, rolls etc were all negatively impacted by the AH as Blizzard balanced the game around people using it, which is why you could go 500 hours without finding anything of real worth. As for BoA, that seems more 50/50, but personally I think it's great. It's going to greatly reduce the amount of commercial bots, as it just won't be profitable to bot Diablo III any more without a tradable currency (plus you can't trade gems/legendaries), plus it will "force" people to actually play the game to find their loot which is extremely fun and rewarding, I'm glad more people will get to experience it in RoS.

For me, Blizzard have done a fantastic job with RoS, every issue I had with D3V has been fixed and they've added more than I had hoped for.

Boogdud

The AH just exacerbate that problem further but I don't think it is the primary culprit.

The problem with the AH was that they balanced the drop rates and stat rolls on the fact that there was an AH. They had to make the drop rates and good rolls percentage abysmally low or else the AH was worthless. Quite the catch 22.

They can add an armory page comparison to see how people rank gear-wise if they really want to see how they stack up.

GECK

I feel like I'm the only one who loves that the AH is being removed and almost all the gear is BOA. >.>

Nope. I'm with you 100%.

I played D1/D2 when they were released and the shadow economy/trading with players was never even remotely why I enjoyed them. The AH actively made me hate D3.

Being able to trade drops with your immediate group is a fine compromise. With the added bonus that people might type more than zero words and stick around for more than one clear in a public game.

Insaniac

been playing a fresh self found monk on PTR and been enjoying it thoroughly. Guaranteed legendary drops are great and make me want to continue through the game. The rate at which you find upgrades to your gears feels about right too. Also the skill revamps and rebalances are great. I feel like nearly every skill is relevant now and I love not being tethered to "best" skills like fists of thunder. I will definitely be doing a full self found crusader when RoS hits.

The lack of access to a AH is great for two reasons IMO. With the new loot 2.0 I'm constantly finding upgrades to my gear which is great and I don't feel like I need to go to the AH to have reasonable gear as I advance through the story. I've been playing on Expert and the difficulty feels perfect. Secondly, now that I can't make active comparisons of my gear to what is on the AH I feel that what I do find is great, and perfectly relevant for the level I currently am at. (and based on how smoothly i've been progressing, it is)

Dyno

I have a second playthough question:

Should I buy Mirt's Bell again on my second trip though Caldeum? I bought the bell on my first playthough and haven't been able to use it yet. Is it worthwhile to stash away extras of this kind of item?

Akai XIII

I have a second playthough question:

Should I buy Mirt's Bell again on my second trip though Caldeum? I bought the bell on my first playthough and haven't been able to use it yet. Is it worthwhile to stash away extras of this kind of item?
No, you only need one for the Whimsyshire staff.

zlatko

Banned
I still need to finish getting my Wizard to max level and completing Inferno with him.

Also, question:

I'm a liquid rainbow shy of all the items to craft access to the secret level. Where does one get it, and when I do, should I craft it on Inferno difficulty with my Wizard so the level is open for Inferno only?

Thanks! :)

Fularu

Banned
I still need to finish getting my Wizard to max level and completing Inferno with him.

Also, question:

I'm a liquid rainbow shy of all the items to craft access to the secret level. Where does one get it, and when I do, should I craft it on Inferno difficulty with my Wizard so the level is open for Inferno only?

Thanks! :)
The cave in the Oasis. It spawns inside a Mysterious Chest but isn't guarenteed

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
In order to help resolve some critical bugs and implement class tuning changes, we will be pushing out a new Beta and PTR patch later today. This patch will be relatively small, and a miniature patch note update will be provided once the patch is live.

As a result of some testing that will accompany this patch, character progress on the Beta/PTR may be affected. See the below list for details.

Later this week (after the Beta/PTR patch goes live), we will be performing some tests on our storage system that maintains inactive Diablo III accounts.
This may result in the loss of up to 24 hours' worth of progress on the Beta or PTR for some players.
We anticipate the number of affected Beta/PTR accounts will be extremely low, and should only impact those who play within a very small window of time.

In addition, shortly after testing has completed, we will be adding an additional wave of new players to the Closed Beta. Keep an eye on your inbox for an invite if you've opted in!

Fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'd want to get in the beta just for transmogrification. :p

Yup, transmog is pretty fun.

e6g4HIl.png

Edit: Hmm, this was entirely unintentional but check out the resemblance, lol. Just noticed after I posted it.

This is mostly just recoloured lower level stuff (except the level 70 source). I have a leftover enchanted legacy Chantodo's wand that I still haven't replaced.

Currently running a build with the new sleet storm that works by snapshotting arcane dynamo combined with a bunch of different elemental damage types to trigger the passive bonuses. It's very group-friendly since the abilities increase everyone's crit chance and damage against the affected monsters. Wave of Force is great since you can stomp and run to cancel out of the animation early - good for taking out goblins and sparse trash.

nzROCXf.png

Currently around 800k damage and 6 million toughness. Didn't take too long to get to this point and upgrades have been pretty frequent. I'm betting they're going to nerf the familiar at some point since that thing makes up about a third of my damage.

V_Arnold

The only thing RMAH did was putting a (very low) price tag on your farming time. It did feel disheartening but not much more than that.

Gold AH is what truly ruined loot progression. It was fine if all you ever wanted from the game was 40-50 hours, but once you got to the endgame there suddenly wasn't any besides the AH.

Damn, statements like this. 600+ hours into the vanilla D3, I managed to play 99% of that time, and not browse the AH. I was lucky, though, a growing number in the down right corner was not as much fun for me as actually playing the game.

MrDaravon

I'd happily play beta for a few weeks, it would make the wait much more bearable.

Eh, personally I've just taken a complete break from the game for the last couple of months and just loosely keeping up on things so I'm not burnt out. If I got in I would probably boot it up and run through a couple of bounties/rifts just to get a personal feel for how that stuff works and leave it at that. In general I'm not a big fan of beta stuff though since you'll lose all of the progress :p. If I'd gotten into it in December I probably would have played a lot, but at this point nah, would rather focus on other stuff so I have a clean plate for when this comes out.

Damn, statements like this. 600+ hours into the vanilla D3, I managed to play 99% of that time, and not browse the AH. I was lucky, though, a growing number in the down right corner was not as much fun for me as actually playing the game.

I have mixed feelings about the AH going; I respect the choice and it's probably for the best. I'm slightly OCD so I'll admit that I spent waaaay too much time on the gold AH, and a lot of the time it was just me looking around and checking things out, wasn't even like I was flipping or doing anything like that.

The only thing I'm just still not happy about is I wish they would expand the BoA restriction a bit to let you trade items to anyone on your friends list within 6 hours of the drop or something like that. It's ridiculous to me that if I find a drop I can't use and my friend doesn't get off work for another hour that I can't give it to him.

larvi

I haven't been keeping up with D3 lately but wondering if there is anything I need to worry about in advance before RoS comes out?

Specifically I'm seeing lots of noise about BoA and not being able to trade. I currently have 2 accounts, will I still be able to freely trade my existing items, gold, etc between characters on those accounts? What happens if I only buy RoS for one of those accounts, will I still be able to play in the same game with both of those accounts?

Also what happens to all the items I have on my completed tabs once the AH goes away?

Insaniac

I haven't been keeping up with D3 lately but wondering if there is anything I need to worry about in advance before RoS comes out?

Specifically I'm seeing lots of noise about BoA and not being able to trade. I currently have 2 accounts, will I still be able to freely trade my existing items, gold, etc between characters on those accounts? What happens if I only buy RoS for one of those accounts, will I still be able to play in the same game with both of those accounts?

Also what happens to all the items I have on my completed tabs once the AH goes away?

I know you won't be able to trade between those accounts UNLESS you log in with both and have them in the same game when you get drops (you can trade with players who were in the game with you when the item drops for 2 hours)

can't say regarding buying RoS for two accounts. Did you buy 2 copies of d3?

dunno about the items in the completed tab.

larvi

I know you won't be able to trade between those accounts UNLESS you log in with both and have them in the same game when you get drops (you can trade with players who were in the game with you when the item drops for 2 hours)

can't say regarding buying RoS for two accounts. Did you buy 2 copies of d3?

dunno about the items in the completed tab.

Thanks, yeah, I bought 2 copies of D3, use the 2nd account for item storage and to help build alts. And I'm more concerned about being able to trade the items I have now, not so much concerned about new drops in RoS. You would think Blizzard would be a little more forthcoming with their plans seeing how close it is to RoS launch.

Ideally if I don't buy RoS on either account I would expect to be able to trade items and gold as I do today but with forced patches I can't be sure and need to be sure before my items are forever stranded on a storage account.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, personally I've just taken a complete break from the game for the last couple of months and just loosely keeping up on things so I'm not burnt out.

For me I mainly want to get into the beta so I can try the Crusader, it would be nice going into RoS knowing if I want to main him or not. And I'm only playing live around 1 hour a day so I don't burn out, plus I'll take a break before RoS so I can fully recharge.

Insaniac

Thanks, yeah, I bought 2 copies of D3, use the 2nd account for item storage and to help build alts. And I'm more concerned about being able to trade the items I have now, not so much concerned about new drops in RoS. You would think Blizzard would be a little more forthcoming with their plans seeing how close it is to RoS launch.

Ideally if I don't buy RoS on either account I would expect to be able to trade items and gold as I do today but with forced patches I can't be sure and need to be sure before my items are forever stranded on a storage account.

Well with RoS all the new legendaries will be BoA when they drop (except as i mentioned for the 2 hour period where you can trade with whomever was in the game with you at the time of the drop) I think as long as the vanilla D3 legendary wasn't BoA when you owned it, it won't change in RoS, since it'll be a legacy item. So IF you don't buy RoS, you'll be fine. However if you do (and I think you're gonna need 2 copies since you used 2 copies of D3) then any legendary will be BoA in the expansion. I think they are planning on giving us additional character slots.

Fularu

Banned
Well with RoS all the new legendaries will be BoA when they drop (except as i mentioned for the 2 hour period where you can trade with whomever was in the game with you at the time of the drop) I think as long as the vanilla D3 legendary wasn't BoA when you owned it, it won't change in RoS, since it'll be a legacy item. So IF you don't buy RoS, you'll be fine. However if you do (and I think you're gonna need 2 copies since you used 2 copies of D3) then any legendary will be BoA in the expansion. I think they are planning on giving us additional character slots.
Any legendary found in 2.0.1 (with or without RoS) will be boa.

Legacy items won't (since they can't drop anymore in 2.0.1, at least with the same kind of itemization)

MrDaravon

For me I mainly want to get into the beta so I can try the Crusader, it would be nice going into RoS knowing if I want to main him or not. And I'm only playing live around 1 hour a day so I don't burn out, plus I'll take a break before RoS so I can fully recharge.

Fair enough. I hate myself and have two of every class at the cap except for WD who I tried out Hardcore with and died :(. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to start fresh with the Crusader first thing or not, I think I'll probably get my other classes from 60-70 first. This is giving me some good time to actually beat other games in the meanwhile anyway, so it's all good.

Celegus

Whoa, really? I guess that makes my build entirely obsolete. I went full on life steal / rend to the point I could just stand in fire/arcane no problem as long as I had a rend or two going. I'm sure I'll be switching to Crusader anyway when the expansion comes out.

Tc91

Same here, fml :(

Edit: All invites are out according to Lylirra

Lylirra ‏@Lylirra 1h
@CoperionD3 @Diablo @BlizzardCS @Vaeflare The new wave of Reaper of Souls beta invites were completed last night/early this morning. :)

Raticus79

Man there are going to be serious problems if they don't stop mid-combat gear swapping. DH are literally invincible with perma smoke screen and even better DPS results from strafe snapshotting than before. VocaloidNyan put up some videos about it. He doesn't include the insta-swap via macros there but you can see what's going on even with manual swaps.

Monk's can't do it (tempest rush checks your current damage every attack), but WD and Wizard can.

Also, they have APOC nerfed so it currently only gives 40% of what you see on your items. Wyatt explained on reddit that they don't want people being able to sustain "spender" spells and there should be an alternation of left and right clicking.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11765066481

Bah.

Fularu

Banned
Trigger a 3 second cooldown on all abilities and procs (including healing) whenever a single item is switched midfight. Increase the timer every time an item is swapped (no timer ooc though).

So say you swap 3 items, no attacks, abilities, heals or pots for 9 seconds.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's a bad thing putting a stop to one button builds, you may see it as a nerf now but you'll probably enjoy the game more in the long run. I've been playing Archon for awhile now and it's pretty dull, after playing so many diverse and fun builds on the PTR I couldn't go back to just holding down RMB.

Raticus79

This may be the greatest video to come out of RoS testing.

http://youtu.be/V4315HXWfXU

VocaloidNyan posted this one (already reported). Shuriken cloud cost reduced to 0 and placed on left click so it can be rapid fire spammed. It triggers vengeance each time. Dakka dakka.

Lethal

Neo Member
I feel absolutely no desire to play the PTR anymore. I feel like the 60 cap makes the game feel like a sub-1.0.8 experience. Even after defeating a difficult elite, I get lvl 59 gear. Sad stuff...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I feel absolutely no desire to play the PTR anymore. I feel like the 60 cap makes the game feel like a sub-1.0.8 experience. Even after defeating a difficult elite, I get lvl 59 gear. Sad stuff...

Strange. The PTR is better in every way compared to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom