• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCizzle

I don't think it's a bad thing putting a stop to one button builds, you may see it as a nerf now but you'll probably enjoy the game more in the long run. I've been playing Archon for awhile now and it's pretty dull, after playing so many diverse and fun builds on the PTR I couldn't go back to just holding down RMB.

Definitely don't think it's bad, but on the forums people seem to be saying it takes way too long for Barb to generate fury. Like 6-7 hits per special ability (ewww if not crazy hyperbole).

Definitely don't think it's bad, but on the forums people seem to be saying it takes way too long for Barb to generate fury. Like 6-7 hits per special ability (ewww if not crazy hyperbole).

The problem I had as a warrior trying to build fury was mainly due to all the Ranged characters killing stuff before I could get near them!

Skunkers

Regarding the recent changes I love that they've added another stash slot, it was really needed and I'm glad they see that. I guess the 5th slot will be kept for the next expansion.

Has there been any indication from Blizzard that they might do a second expansion? I'd be pretty stoked to hear that, though I have no idea how they'd justify it lore-wise; RoS already seems like a stretch...

(Silly me, talking about lore like they really give a damn...)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been any indication from Blizzard that they might do a second expansion? I'd be pretty stoked to hear that, though I have no idea how they'd justify it lore-wise; RoS already seems like a stretch...

Not as far as I know, but it's pretty much a certainty unless RoS completely bombs, which it won't (no matter how much the official forum trolls want it to).

Terra

Not as far as I know, but it's pretty much a certainty unless RoS completely bombs, which it won't (no matter how much the official forum trolls want it to).

I left the PC game behind. But I would be ready to double dip if RoS comes to 360. If it doesn´t. I´ll skip it altogether.

RoS won´t bomb, as long as they get the stuff done right.

Fularu

Banned

Blizzard said the game would have at least 2 expansions

Lea's redemption is probably going to be the next one (it's been hinted that Lea's not dead)

Sothpaw

dammit. Came here to ask this.

Feels like the PS4 version is going to be the definitive version. Can't wait :)

PS4 version will release sometime this year is all we know at this point. PS4 version will not have the monster density of the PC version due to control limitations (auto aim etc) so it won't be the "definitive" version.

Sigmaah

How does one prepare for RoS? I'm getting real hyped for it and I wanna prepare my characters for it! I'm assuming since the level cap is being raised, no point of trying to get great gear?

PS4 version will release sometime this year is all we know at this point. PS4 version will not have the monster density of the PC version due to control limitations (auto aim etc) so it won't be the "definitive" version.

Well shit, bring on March 25th for the PC release, then!

Anyone else run the game from a USB thumb drive to alleviate stuttering? It worked out really well for me. USB 3.0 and runs way smoother than from my hard drive.

MrDaravon

Only 4 weeks left before the Auction House closes.

I've paid zero attention for a long time now, what are gold prices looking like on the RMAH? I have around 300 mil, if it spikes enough where I could dump that to put a substantial amount towards getting the expansion off the bnet store I'd probably consider it. Last I looked I think 50 million was something like $2.20. Wonder if prices will either spike or bottom out before the AH closes.

Mogwai

I was browsing a little on D3 and saw the future patch notes...

Am I right when reading that Normal, Nightmare, Hell and Inferno are going to be removed?

Sothpaw

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
There was a Korean press conference with a bunch of slides:
http://m.thisisgame.com/webzine/news/nboard/4/?n=53271

Apparently the data mined Imperius wings are a preorder bonus for the RoS standard edition and up (including preordered CE).
20140220143032_9829.JPG

Blue post about it:
http://kr.battle.net/d3/ko/forum/topic/3038603971#2

code90z on reddit said:
In this thread this guy is saying it's such a good deal to have the Hound+Transmog plans+Wings of Valor for DDE, and a blue response confirmed:

네 맞습니다. 하지만 용기의 날개의 경우 디지털 딜럭스 버전 예약 구매자분들에게만 드리는 것은 아니고요. 디지털 일반판 예약 구매를 하시는 분들에게도 동일하게 제공될 예정입니다. 여기에 대해서는 조만간 다시 세부적인 안내를 드릴꺼에요. ^

This means: You are right. But the Wings is not for DDE only, it will be available for those who pre-purchase Digital Standard Edition too. Will have details later.

The second blue:

참고로 국내 팬 여러분의 의견을 수렴해 디아블로 III: 영혼을 거두는 자 소장판(Collector's Edition)도 국내에서 예약 구매가 진행될 예정입니다. 따라서 소장판 예약 구매를 통해 소장판을 구입하신 분들도 마찬가지로 용기의 날개를 받으실 수 있게 될 예정입니다. 소장판 예약 구>매 방법 및 세부 일정은 추후 다시 안내해 드릴 예정입니다.

This basically says that CE counts too.

(From reddit)

Now just waiting for some confirmation on the USA side.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope that's legit, I anyways regretted not getting the original CE wings.

Raticus79

Since there are actual blue posts about it, I think it's legit for Korea at least. It just hasn't been announced for NA yet. People are up in arms about that in the battle.net forum, lol - "USA second class?!?!" - they'll need to post some damage control later today I think.

I don't like Blizzard's latest model of digital distribution pre-order goodies.

I always pre-order the physical CEs, which means I can't activate my code until release day, while everyone else that gets the cheaper SKUs gets their digital goodies early.

And now it's sounding like my Amazon CE pre-order isn't going to get me the wings?

Raticus79

The blue post followup said it'll cover physical versions (regular and CE) as well. I wonder how they'll handle that though... bit of a logistics problem there.

If there are any retailers that couldn't adapt in time, maybe they would have some process where you can send Blizzard a copy of your preorder receipt and activate it that way.

Fularu

Banned
The blue post followup said it'll cover physical versions (regular and CE) as well. I wonder how they'll handle that though... bit of a logistics problem there.

If there are any retailers that couldn't adapt in time, maybe they would have some process where you can send Blizzard a copy of your preorder receipt and activate it that way.

Nah, just do it with an activation window (say give 4 weeks for physical copies of the regular edition and no limit on the CE)

Terra

Ok...so I haven't been into D3 since the spring it released. I lost interest and then PoE came along.

Now, with the new expansion coming, I am however willing to give it another go, and see if Blizzard can redeem themselves.

But, here is the problem. I moved this fall, and seem to have lost my copy of Diablo 3 wich means I also lost the cd-key. Will I be able to install it anyway? My account at Battle.Net is active and Diablo 3 is registrered on me there.

Ok...so I haven't been into D3 since the spring it released. I lost interest and then PoE came along.

Now, with the new expansion coming, I am however willing to give it another go, and see if Blizzard can redeem themselves.

But, here is the problem. I moved this fall, and seem to have lost my copy of Diablo 3 wich means I also lost the cd-key. Will I be able to install it anyway? My account at Battle.Net is active and Diablo 3 is registrered on me there.

Yea you can login to your BNET account and download the game from there. You don't need the cd key or disc anymore.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Great. Will look into it as soon as possible. I wonder how it will be, coming back from PoE.

You will be surprised at how high quality Diablo is compared to PoE, that's how I felt after playing PoE for a few months and returning to Diablo.

V_Arnold

You will be surprised at how high quality Diablo is compared to PoE, that's how I felt after playing PoE for a few months and returning to Diablo.

Not anymore. I switched between ROS beta and the latest PoE, and yeah, animation disparity is huge, but the same disparity exists in PoE's favor in endgame. And that remains.

Terra

Not anymore. I switched between ROS beta and the latest PoE, and yeah, animation disparity is huge, but the same disparity exists in PoE's favor in endgame. And that remains.

Interesting both of your comments. I have been playing PoE wholeheartedly for the last year. And made it into almost end-game with my lvl 65 character. Very nice little game.

That said. I am now tired of PoE:s constant currency-farming, and ready to go back and give Diablo 3 a new try.
I am actually a little excited about it. :)

My history with D3 is very brief. I played it VERY intense @ release and a few weeks in. Made a Lvl 60 barb but I totally got tired of things. Neither me or my friends have touched it since then. I was SO disappointed with what that game did deliver. But I believe that stuff can be fixed.

Just look how Firaxis turned the massive dissapointment of Civ 5 into a total masterpiece. They listened to their fans, and released two expansion packs with features that the fans asked for. Civ 5 is now considered to be perhaps the best incarnation of the game.

The most dangerous thing was the money-milking thought that someone got at Blizzard...with the auction house and all. When these money-milking thoughts become reality, it is a danger for the whole concept. The closure of the auction house is a step in the right direction.

Now, can Blizzard bring more variety, items and customization into Diablo. It might get a revival.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

For me, Diablo has superior gameplay, art, audio, animation, design, performance, servers and presentation. All PoE has over Diablo is their map system, and Blizzard could easily expand upon Rifts to replicate the map system in PoE. I've played PoE for a very long time and I've spent about £50 on MT to support them but at the end of the day it just feels "cheap" at its core. Diablo can add endgame, but PoE would need to be rebuilt from the ground up to fix its issues.

V_Arnold

For me, Diablo has superior gameplay, art, audio, animation, design, performance, servers and presentation. All PoE has over Diablo is their map system, and Blizzard could easily expand upon Rifts to replicate the map system in PoE. I've played PoE for a very long time and I've spent about £50 on MT to support them but at the end of the day it just feels "cheap" at its core. Diablo can add endgame, but PoE would need to be rebuilt from the ground up to fix its issues.

I am starting to feel like some sociopath, defending PoE in D3 OT and defending D3 in PoE OT, but hey, why not?

Both games will be viable once RoS comes, imho. (All three of them, counting Marvel Heroes as well). But the thing is: while animations can be improved, and yep, PoE's netcode will always be vastly inferior to Blizzard's, the sad, sad truth is that Grinding Gear Games had a VERY consistent vision and they built EVERYTHING around it. You can fix the gaping holes in D3's endgame, but that wont make it as solid of a vision as PoE's.

Yeah, you can make Rifts more like maps. You will still miss this: In PoE, from the moment you start your FIRST character, orbs (alteration, transmutation, alchemy, chaos, jeweller's, etc) are useful to you and remain useful till the very end when you are modifying map properties with the very same items. The same consistency between the skill tree, the gem slots, the colors and the HUGELY innovative uniques again show an idea first, and implementations that expand, yet respect that idea first and foremost.

D3:Ros will be vastly superior to D3, but it still will lack structure and core like PoE's. IT will, no two ways about it. Are everything you find pre-70 useless? YES. Do you have a gutted out economy where you cannot trade interesting uniques with others anymore? YES. I mean.... just look at Blood Shards and how inconsitent their role has been through the game, even in such a short amount of beta time.

But sadly - and luckily at the same time -, I can PINPOINT you the exact moment everything went wrong with D3 and its gameplay systems. It was when Blizzard decided to not go for the skill runes as drops. The original idea was that you have magic missile, and you can have 5 variants of it, with 7+ different levels (and new rarities across them too, with plus affixes, randomly chosen in the drop), with the highest being insanely rare. They removed this due to stash space concerns, and suddenly, nothing filled that niche.

They need runewords now, that is the only savior at this point. Heck, Marvel Heroes PATCHED IN runewords just two weeks ago. If you cant trade endgame stuff, you have no real endgame economy, and it is disconnected for gamers, for group-oriented players, for those enjoying that aspect of the genre....

BUT on the other hand, the gameplay will still be awesome, and I know that due to Smart Loot, you will stick to a build and find supporting items sooner or later, so ROS will bring on a new type of arpg experience. But it is not more valid than PoE's. It is less coherent, but it can be a valid alternative to it, sure.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the things you like about PoE I dislike. For example the currency system and trading. I'm a big supporter of BoA and feel it will improve Diablo massively. I also like that I don't have to carry around 20 different currency items and spend all day trying to trade for a gem so I can play the build I'm most interested in. At the end of the day both games are perfectly playable, and I think it's good for the genre to have more than one big aRPG.

Island

Trying to get the last part for a hellfire ring (I want a least one before the expansion).

Island #1238 if you want to help me out!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
£18.99 on Amazon UK

$34.25 on Amazon US

I used a few price checkers and it seems Amazon is the cheapest for both regions. There was some random CDkey site that had it for $1 cheaper but I've never heard of them and would rather pay $1 extra from Amazon.

TheYanger

Interesting both of your comments. I have been playing PoE wholeheartedly for the last year. And made it into almost end-game with my lvl 65 character. Very nice little game.

That said. I am now tired of PoE:s constant currency-farming, and ready to go back and give Diablo 3 a new try.
I am actually a little excited about it. :)

My history with D3 is very brief. I played it VERY intense @ release and a few weeks in. Made a Lvl 60 barb but I totally got tired of things. Neither me or my friends have touched it since then. I was SO disappointed with what that game did deliver. But I believe that stuff can be fixed.

Just look how Firaxis turned the massive dissapointment of Civ 5 into a total masterpiece. They listened to their fans, and released two expansion packs with features that the fans asked for. Civ 5 is now considered to be perhaps the best incarnation of the game.

The most dangerous thing was the money-milking thought that someone got at Blizzard...with the auction house and all. When these money-milking thoughts become reality, it is a danger for the whole concept. The closure of the auction house is a step in the right direction.

Now, can Blizzard bring more variety, items and customization into Diablo. It might get a revival.

Having basically quit Diablo after killing inferno Diablo like, a week after it released or something, and them farming for a few more weeks and just stopping...It's a VASTLY superior game now to what it used to be. There are a lot of flaws still, RoS looks like it's fixing most of them, but a friend and I played it drunk one night about 6 months ago and had fun, and then stopped for some wow stuff, and came back again within the last two months or so. Now we're sitting at paragon 60-90 and still having a blast. RoS is a big step up from what I've seen on the PTR and just watching gameplay etc. PoE I've never gotten SUPER big into, but absolutely D3 crushes it in terms of 'feel' and graphics and all of the polish. I appreciate the sphere grid style system in PoE but as a player it's just not as fun to run around killing monsters in it to me. D3 feels more satisfying to actually spend time playing, even if at the moment it's much more repetetive and rote.

Trying to get the last part for a hellfire ring (I want a least one before the expansion).

Island #1238 if you want to help me out!

I'd hang onto your organs until 2.0 hits (which is soon), the new loot 2.0 stuff goes into effect on ANYTHING you craft, including the hellfire ring. Making them on the ptr is yielding VASTLY better results than live, where you're likely to craft something completely shit tier.

ZenaxPure

I appreciate the sphere grid style system in PoE but as a player it's just not as fun to run around killing monsters in it to me. D3 feels more satisfying to actually spend time playing, even if at the moment it's much more repetetive and rote.

This is pretty much me as well. I really like a lot of what they are doing with PoE and I put around 25 hours into it, but, that entire time I was just using the same one or two abilities over and over in combat. I just got incredibly bored. For all the problems D3 has none of it really matters because just running around killing monsters is so much damn fun, pretty much all 6 of your ability choices can be used for active skills that synergize well together. As long as the expansion can keep that feeling the same while opening up a bit more build diversity I will be pretty happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom