• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused about the difficulties.

Just hit level 60, decked out in rares and I reset my quests. I've been absolutely destroying Act I on Expert difficulty. Why is it so easy on Expert? My Paragon is only at 1.

I'm confused about the difficulties.

Just hit level 60, decked out in rares and I reset my quests. I've been absolutely destroying Act I on Expert difficulty. Why is it so easy on Expert? My Paragon is only at 1.

IMO, if you are level 60, then the minimum you should be playing on is Torment I. The bonuses you get are soooo worth it. Plus, if you're facerolling expert, then you should be able to do Torment I with no problem.

That's absolutely insane, both the damage and special ability. I WANT IT

The proc is actually quite bad. I found one on my wizard and tried numerous different lightning damage specs and none of them were as good as frozen orb with a big 2h weapon. The proc rate is either very low or there's a sizeable internal cooldown.

Firemind

Anyone got the chance to try out Thunderfury? How is the proc rate? Would like to create a shockadin build if it's half viable. If Zeal makes it in that is.

I'm bummed the big fat toad for my Witch Doc is still a terrible skill. They moved it from Plague of Toads to under Hex but it still sucks. It does ~30% weapon dmg per sec for 5 secs, which is just horrific. And he only gobbles up one guy so it's totally useless unless maybe you got a full team of 4 witch docs spamming it as a form of CC.

Such a cool looking skill with that cute fat over-sized toad yet still blows.

ZenaxPure

Man, I think i'm going to not mess with my Barb much until I pick up RoS. Fury generation isn't completely fucked like I was afraid of without into the fray, but, it's still half fucked. Like in a huge group of enemies it's totally fine, can barely tell a difference but the second you are down to a couple of enemies it's a lot of standing there doing nothing waiting for some fury. It just doesn't flow well compared to every other class where the downtime waiting for a resource is minimal. What really bothers me about it is it's not something reduced resource cost can really solve entirely, because a lot of skills like hota and that up and coming boulder build benefit from you having more fury to spend at once.

It's just really weird because the moment to moment is still a lot of fun but it comes in spurts as there just these huge lulls where you are waiting around. It was like night and day when I switched over to my monk and just dashed around kicking the shit out of stuff.

neoism

As soon as you hit 61. So yep, when RoS comes out.

WsXwwh2.jpg

lol

Thanks for the help yesterday bro! My barb felt pretty damned useless next to you and the others.. not sure if thats just a gear deficiency or just how the class works. Has me itching to use my monk now!

Sidenote, GAF members have been extremely awesome so far in terms of grouping up. It's pretty cool to see.

*thumbs up*

It was quite entertaining. All these runs can be draining, so gj hanging in there. I know I was tired as HELL. :D

Anywho,

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DreamVisions-1571/hero/3314095

Gear recommendations, anyone? I've found 3 or 4 pieces which were upgrades so far and they are equipped. I'm around maybe...275k? I can get that up to about 360k if I sacrifice some vit but it doesn't seem necessary for Torment 3.

I have the yellow boots on because the damage lost by replacing my iceclimbers (-5%) with them is made up for by the huge arcane torrent buff (+11%).

My build at the moment is for max Arcane Torrent pain. Principally because of that helm I found last night (+18% arcane damage!). I'd switch back to the Ice Climbers if I were to go with a non-arcane build...but it seems like so much damage left on the table if I'm not taking advantage of damn near 20% more damage.

scosher

Just started playing again and having a blast. I'm thinking of even just rerolling and starting my wizard from scratch.

Also Frozen Orb seems way too good. To the point that any build I create without it just pales in comparison.

IMO, if you are level 60, then the minimum you should be playing on is Torment I. The bonuses you get are soooo worth it. Plus, if you're facerolling expert, then you should be able to do Torment I with no problem.

Last time I checked it was grayed out. I bet it unlocks at 60, doesn't it. Derp.

Thanks!

MedIC86

So, i feel like i kinda bottomed out gear wise, nothing that drops for me is an upgrade. Best i can do is wait for RoS, or are there specials way to get good gear? i tried inferno 6 with a few guys, but just takes to much time seeing that monster HP.

aY227

What bonuses? Except for XP bonus, there is nothing that is relevant to You at the moment.

I personally dont see the reason to play the game on higher difficulty than expert in current state.

Firemind

And what can you even do with gold in RoS? I mean I'm trying to sell all my legacy gear since it will be useless, but is there even a good reason to stockpile gold?

Svafnir

And what can you even do with gold in RoS? I mean I'm trying to sell all my legacy gear since it will be useless, but is there even a good reason to stockpile gold?

Keep like 30-50m and you will be set forever in RoS.

It's mostly used by the mystic for enchanting and transmogrifying items.

Nete

The Mystic is a black hole for gold, you can get addicted to rerolling items. Each max gem costs around 10m to craft starting with marquises, so keep that in mind too.

You could still do everything with no gold saved as the game is pretty okish balanced on that, but having some is always helpful.

MrDaravon

Keep like 30-50m and you will be set forever in RoS.

It's mostly used by the mystic for enchanting and transmogrifying items.

See this:

The Mystic is a black hole for gold, you can get addicted to rerolling items. Each max gem costs around 10m to craft starting with marquises, so keep that in mind too.

You could still do everything with no gold saved as the game is pretty okish balanced on that, but having some is always helpful.

Subsequent enchants and the highest level gems are crazy expensive. It's not indicative of the average gamer, but I saw streamers in the beta burn through hundreds of millions of gold in a week or two.

Svafnir

See this:

Subsequent enchants and the highest level gems are crazy expensive. It's not indicative of the average gamer, but I saw streamers in the beta burn through hundreds of millions of gold in a week or two.

I played a lot of the beta. There was no reason to spend that much at all, they just wanted the best gems right away. As you slowly gear up and can handle higher torment levels you start pulling in a lot more gold. I was constantly re-rolling my gear and my gold supply kept going up. Imperial gems constantly drop and are already better than marquise gems, I even crafted a couple of the top level gems but they were just not worth it. Much better of spending the gold on rerolling your item stats.

MrDaravon

I played a lot of the beta. There was no reason to spend that much at all, they just wanted the best gems right away. As you slowly gear up and can handle higher torment levels you start pulling in a lot more gold. I was constantly re-rolling my gear and my gold supply kept going up. Imperial gems constantly drop and are already better than marquise gems, I even crafted a couple of the top level gems but they were just not worth it. Much better of spending the gold on rerolling your item stats.

Sure, I was just disagreeing with your sentiment that 30-50 mil would set you for good in RoS. If you meant that PLUS what you start accruing at that point then that's different :p

Robin64

Been farming the fucking Gibbering Gem for hours now. I know the locations where the Cavern of Frost may spawn, I can find it super quick, but even then there's no assurance the mob that drops it will appear. The one time it DID appear, I never got the drop (despite the internet saying it's 100% drop chance). Getting cranky, it's the only piece I need to make the staff.

Svafnir

Been farming the fucking Gibbering Gem for hours now. I know the locations where the Cavern of Frost may spawn, I can find it super quick, but even then there's no assurance the mob that drops it will appear. The one time it DID appear, I never got the drop (despite the internet saying it's 100% drop chance). Getting cranky, it's the only piece I need to make the staff.

I think it's bugged currently.

I find it odd that while many items have improved in their affix pool and have interesting potential rolls (area damage, resource cost reduction), a large portion of them still roll with completely useless garbage affixes. Roughly half of the legendaries I've found have no unique affix attached to them. Instead, they roll 3% chance to proc a slow, or +91 bonus experience, or +50 to a single resist, or some other combination of completely useless, unnoticeable affixes. Same thing with set items and almost all rares.

I am not averse to the best items being uncommon, but after pulling out some of the mechanics that they failed to balance (like crushing blow) they've fallen right back into the same trap of so many items rolling with things that will never be useful. I suspect the mystic will remedy some of it, but it's still stupid. When you look at PoE's stat rolling system, you see a much better fundamental concept at play: most of the rolls are useful, its just the range of the roll that you get that separates a crap item from a decent item from a godly item. It also depends on your character's build and needs whether it will be valuable to you.

D3 is still plagued by a binary system: item is good or item is bad because you either got the useful stats or you didn't. The concept of "well, this stat is not useful for me or my current build, but I can see it being good" has penetrated into some item affixes and legendaries, but it is still laughably absent from a great many of items. Or the concept of "this item has the useful rolls but only mediocre values of them." Still not godly, but it isn't preordained to be destined for the dumpster. So many affixes were either glossed over or insufficiently buffed to make any difference whatsoever in how the player reacts to acquiring them. They are vendor fodder.

I still barely even glance at 99% of the rares I pick up because I know that they're going to be shit. And I'm not even talking about shit compared to godly gear, just gummed up with useless filler rolls like thorns or inconsequential procs. They do not even roll things that are vaguely interesting to me as the player. There's very little debate in my mind about how I want to gear or what affixes will work best for my build. It's the same as it was before, just repackaged a little bit so that at least you're interacting with the game rather than the auction house in order to acquire things.

Dahbomb

D3 is still plagued by a binary system: item is good or item is bad because you either got the useful stats or you didn't. The concept of "well, this stat is not useful for me or my current build, but I can see it being good" has penetrated into some item affixes and legendaries, but it is still laughably absent from a great many of items. Or the concept of "this item has the useful rolls but only mediocre values of them." Still not godly, but it isn't preordained to be destined for the dumpster. So many affixes were either glossed over or insufficiently buffed to make any difference whatsoever in how the player reacts to acquiring them. They are vendor fodder.
The Primary stats are almost all very good. The secondary stats are almost all bad but I think that was the point. The good thing is that for Legendaries, the unique stat takes up the secondary slot so you can have a Legendary with 4 godly stats, one shit stat and a unique stat. This actually allows you to make a thorns build or a health globe bonus Monk build (that class has skills that scale off of that attribute) without sacrificing good stats.

Pretty much now you just need 4 good stats on a Rare for it to be "good". Before you needed 6 so you have a better chance of getting something worthwhile especially when the 4 good stats have a narrower pool of stats too choose from. You aren't going to get thorns/gold pick up/health globe bonus all on one item.

And most of the loot in PoE is in fact shit too... that's the point of a loot game. If everything was good then the game would be too easy. The main difference between the two is that D3 drops way more Rares while PoE drops fewer Rares. At the same time, D3 also drops more Legendaries so you can afford to have some of them be bad.

neoism

If you don't use Sweeping Wind then the new legendary is better. I'm assuming you do use it tho since you have the 4-piece chicken nugg...err set bonus. Sorry I'm hungry.

lol its does give me 6k dps and my spirit regen is 2.28. :p
also the best thing about it was it dropped on Master... does anyone know what Torment 1 is on the MP scale?

oakenhild

In the Game Settings, when it says '3 Playing this Quest'...shouldn't those numbers be much larger? I can't find any difficulty that has more than 3 people playing and I have it set to "ALL ACTS ANY QUESTS".

I don't have the Torment difficult unlocked yet, and am level 47.

JCizzle

In the Game Settings, when it says '3 Playing this Quest'...shouldn't those numbers be much larger? I can't find any difficulty that has more than 3 people playing and I have it set to "ALL ACTS ANY QUESTS".

I don't have the Torment difficult unlocked yet, and am level 47.

You'll see thousands when you're 60.

Xevren

Man, for all the luck I had on my WD it's the exact opposite on my barb. So many shitty drops, which just blows. I really like playing barb post patch though, just need some damn upgrades!

Is anyone going to set up a 2nd clan since the 1st is full up?

Wallach

Man, for all the luck I had on my WD it's the exact opposite on my barb. So many shitty drops, which just blows. I really like playing barb post patch though, just need some damn upgrades!

Is anyone going to set up a 2nd clan since the 1st is full up?

I think your Barb and my WD had their RNG swapped at birth. I find nothing but Barb legendaries on him, it is getting really annoying. Aside from a ring, the past 6-7 legendaries have been melee oriented stuff and 3-4 of those actually rolled with STR.

MrDaravon

Super pleased with this Leoric's I found:

iLNMPxy.jpg

Also got a pretty good (but not amazing) new Nat cloak and boots so I'm rocking that 2-set, which by itself was good enough to best the legacy Nat 3-set bonus lol.

I'm going to give it another shot. I haven't played in quite a while, so I'm pretty lost. For example, the difficulty levels and the Torment thing or whatever. I don't know anything about it.

I think I'm going to start a fresh character, but I do want to mess around with my Demon Hunter. I'm curious to see if she's still remotely powerful at all lol

I'm sad that I'll be playing it on my medicore laptop, but it's at least playable. Just barely, but it's there. My desktop has been down for the better part of a year and I've never fixed it. Sigh.

Xevren

Kind of sad at how bad the damage is on all the 2 hand weapons I've found. Figured they would be more worth using. I've found a bunch of 2h barb weapons and the damage was ridiculously low :(

Insaniac

Does this actually work for you?
I tried it with my wiz and it never seemed to proc.
Maybe I just didnt see the effect with all the lightning already going on...

yeah it works, not sure but i think its based on skill proc rates. The visual effect is pretty minimal so you won't really see it going off if there's a battle going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom