• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

It's just bad luck. To be honest I got a grand total of 3 legendaries I think prior to 1.0.4, or maybe only 2. I got one of those hamburger weapons (which came in pretty handy at the time, huge DPS upgrade), and some time during 1.0.3 I got a piece of the Natalya set (off a chest I think, lol) with poor rolls, completely unsellable. All with little-to-no MF gear.

I've been playing 1.0.4 a bit already (I'm currently PL6), again, with no MF bonus aside from NV and PL, and I got one legendary on the second day I think, and 2 other in one single run yesterday. I have 93k total kills btw (Wiz 60, Barb 50, and the rest in their 10s/20s). I've more than doubled my number of dropped legendaries in 2 days. I do all my farming in act 1, but I got 1 legendary in Act 3 when doing a run with friends (can't solo it yet).

Bottom line is: it's definitely a matter of luck, BUT the droprate has been increased in 1.0.4. You'll see eventually. You just weren't lucky.

Now, Pyro? I hate his effin' guts, how can he be so lucky? I know he plays a lot, but still.

Honestly, I think the "randomness" is tied to the machine you play on. That is, your RNG is generated based on your PC hardware. Some combinations will always result in an RNG that dictates you will have worse luck than others, forever. That's just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

My "bad luck" isn't just limited to legendaries, mind you. Before the patch the game was dreadfully difficult for me because I couldn't find equipment of any use at all. After the patch it is better simply because the rolls were improved, but as an example despite that I've still never seen any weapon (of any quality or type) that does 1000dps. I'm still wearing 3 pieces of equipment that are only level ~45 and one that is ~35. That's with over 80,000 kills so far.

This is just infuriating. I'd understand the first couple weeks having these types of issues, even the first month, but 3 months later and we're still getting random ass server donwtimes and errors. WTF just let me log the fuck on and play, goddammit I'm pisse.d

Talents

Banned
amulet.png

How much do you guys think the amulet will sell for? Tried searching on the AH but there was nothing like it really.

Zeppelin

I've been trolling through act 3 today with the Vault of Cinders build. The drops have been shit as usually but at least it's fun to play again. Risk and reward on steroids.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Honestly, I think the "randomness" is tied to the machine you play on. That is, your RNG is generated based on your PC hardware. Some combinations will always result in an RNG that dictates you will have worse luck than others, forever. That's just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

My "bad luck" isn't just limited to legendaries, mind you. Before the patch the game was dreadfully difficult for me because I couldn't find equipment of any use at all. After the patch it is better simply because the rolls were improved, but as an example despite that I've still never seen any weapon (of any quality or type) that does 1000dps. I'm still wearing 3 pieces of equipment that are only level ~45 and one that is ~35. That's with over 80,000 kills so far.

Are you avoiding the AH on purpose? Cause I also had/have a hard time finding equipment for my character (always getting crossbows and whatnot but I'm a wiz). AH is mandatory once you reach inferno if you want to make any kind of progress.

I haven't dropped many 1000+ dps weapons (save for 2H after 1.0.4) either you know. The overwhelming majority of the loot is just 150-350 dps trash. That's why I always check blue weapons before vendor selling them, just in case I find one that, sure, is only a blue, but has a good DPS that might make it sellable. I have found VERY few. Even rares have crap DPS most of the time.

I need some tips on gear. What would you recommend that I should upgrade? Act II Inferno (solo) is kicking my ass.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Saegon-1864/hero/18410199

In addition to the aforementioned suggestions:

Gloves and bracers are easy upgrades. What you have now is pretty sub-par and the kind of stuff I would probably just salvage. You also probably want some better weapons with LOH if you can get it. The DPS you have on those is a bit low for not giving you much in the way of good affixes.

IlludiumQ36

First of all, put that mace on your main hand (spear to off-hand) and switch out Boon passive for Weapon Master - +10% crit chance. And you seem to be wearing MF gear. I don't see any All Resist.

ZenaxPure

It's probably worth it to drop Boon of Bul-kathos as well, imo. 30 seconds off your cooldown isn't that strong compared to some of the other passive abilities you could have there.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
My wish is to have all you knowledgeable peeps personally comb over my character and then find gear on the AH at a good price that would increase my viability substantially, for a good price.

Too much to ask for?

For those having trouble logging in, this worked for me (source bnet forums):

1. Uncheck Remember Account Name box
2. Go to options and switch region to Europe servers, apply and accept
3. Log in and close out program
4. Go to options and switch back to Americas
5. Log in

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6412491794

So can the WD solo Act 4 with pretty good gear but not GG gear? Do the pets die or are they good now? Can they tank the mobs at all? I could probably spend like 15-20 mil gold to gear him, also have some leftovers from Wizard.

Cipherr

I think I may go WD instead of Barb now... it's weird cause I thought I wouldn't like this class at all for some reason.

Was the latest patch any good for the class?

..... I want this game so bad right now :(

Please play a WD, and join public games. We all love you and your pets now in Inferno. Jesus.... Everytime Im in an Act 3 game with 3 others and a WD leaves the party, his presence is sorely missed. Those dogs and the big guy offtank so much stuff man... We go from 'LOL inferno is soooo easy now after all the nerfs' to 'Wow.... that WD was really carrying us eh?'.

I really wish I had not sold my DH's gear. Im having to rebuild from AH blues. Its painful.

Please play a WD, and join public games. We all love you and your pets now in Inferno. Jesus.... Everytime Im in an Act 3 game with 3 others and a WD leaves the party, his presence is sorely missed. Those dogs and the big guy offtank so much stuff man... We go from 'LOL inferno is soooo easy now after all the nerfs' to 'Wow.... that WD was really carrying us eh?'.

I really wish I had not sold my DH's gear. Im having to rebuild from AH blues. Its painful.
....making a WD now

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I need some tips on gear. What would you recommend that I should upgrade? Act II Inferno (solo) is kicking my ass.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Saegon-1864/hero/18410199

Definitely drop some of the MF until you are further progressed...it is eating away at your item budget and it tends to cost more. As others have pointed out you definitely need a bit more AR even if barbs don't need a ton of it.

Also, since I'm using a highly modified non-WW, WW build (hah) I don't know what followers real WW builds use but was under the impression it was usually the Enchantress and occasionally the scoundrel...you seem to be using the Templar.

Thats is so true ! I'm a WD and everytime I have to leave a public game running through Act 3, the others beg for me to stay. I actually feel bad when I leave now, it's ridiculous. Yesterday, I died once through a full Act 3 clear against the kamikaze frogs. They died 20+ times. Ghom especially was a highlight, me and my pets solo'd him during the last 2-3 minutes and then they all wanted to reroll WD. :p

Dahbomb

Everytime there is a WD in my party now and I don't have my stacks up, I change to full DPS Monk. I know I am not going to get hit that much because of the pets, just going to safely attack with Deadly Reach + damage abilities.

ZenaxPure

Speaking of witchdoctors, someone needs to explain this class to me. I'm level 50 on mine and I've had a ton of fun but it is without a doubt the class I have died the most on. I just don't understand how how to survive as them. Particularly regaining lost HP, plenty of times I can escape death but I end up just running around with no way to restore my HP.

Should I be stacking LoH or HP regen on gear or something? Having potions on cooldown all the time is pretty annoying.

Also worth noting this is solo, as well, so I am taking all the damage. I use both zombie dogs/gargantuan but they do nothing to help against ranged enemies and agile melee enemies who avoid them and come smack me around.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally got my WD up to 60 now. I was running something like 52k since level 56 with a bunch of resist and pets. Low damage output for the most part, but with a good group, it's so simple to control a battle with pets. I've been trying to figure out what filler ability I ran to run. I've been switching between Hex and Grasp of the Dead mostly. I find Hex much less useful now that I have pets and I can tank so much.

Speaking of witchdoctors, someone needs to explain this class to me. I'm level 50 on mine and I've had a ton of fun but it is without a doubt the class I have died the most on. I just don't understand how how to survive as them. Particularly regaining lost HP, plenty of times I can escape death but I end up just running around with no way to restore my HP.

Should I be stacking LoH or HP regen on gear or something? Having potions on cooldown all the time is pretty annoying.

Also worth noting this is solo, as well, so I am taking all the damage. I use both zombie dogs/gargantuan but they do nothing to help against ranged enemies and agile melee enemies who avoid them and come smack me around.

Here's my profile : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gabe-1694/hero/2073523

You definitely need some LoH. Acid Rain is my heal button, a couple casts instantly recovers all my health.

I made a post about my build and stats on the WD forums, here it is. Still a lot of room for improvement gear wise since 1.0.4 :

The spec :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bfTYdR!Uag!bcacca

Widowmakers : Spam it constantly. Mixed with VQ, your mana regen will allow you to almost-spam Bears or Acid Rains.

Bears : Use when you want to do high DPS. I can pretty much spam it in between my spiders.

Acid Rain : Use when you want to heal, this is your heal button. Don't be afraid to spam it preemptively between the spiders when you think your health might go down quick.

Humongoid + Leeching Beasts : Invincible, sometimes one dog might die, just recast. They all tanked Ghom without taking a scratch from his attacks and clouds.

Vengeful Spirit : Extra damage is never a waste when you cast this for the INT bonus for better DPS. No need for the mana or health rune, your mana regen is already extremely high and your health gets insta-healed by the Acid Rain.

Vision Quest : Needed for the mana regen when using spiders.

Jungle Fortitude : Needed for the bonus defense.

Fierce Loyalty : Very important for the life regen on your pets.

The stats :

These are the minimum stats you should for. A little under those and you might die a couple times, but not too much:

40k health
5k armor
600 resist all
30% block chance (get the Helm of Command and if possible a 30%+ Stormshield)
800 life regen (very important, I have 1000)
800 life on hit (very important, I have 1000)
If you want some nice DPS, then go for at least 15k DPS unbuffed.

Jrmint

Any tips how to take on Belial inferno.
How much dps do i need. Already glad i can semi farm act 2 right now takes a while to kill stuff but i get there.

Im a barb btw.
20k damage
5-600 all resist
10k armor (with shout)

You have all 3 of those you should be able to face tank it no problem.

lordy88

Here's my DH: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zeppelin-2591/hero/3546385

I just beat Azmodan in this gear. Died some, but not to the point of it getting frustrating. Suggestions on what to improve? I have a helm that's slightly better but it lacks a socket. Maybe trade some HP for more damage? A better weapon would of course be cool but I want to find that on my own. I've currently got 6M in the bank!

I noticed that you have very little crit chance/damage in your build. I would highly recommend going to crit items if you can. It is possible to go balanced and still aim for crit with not too much gold if you dip a little below the 'ideal' for each slot.

Here's my build which I made not spending too much (outside of the the amulet):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Stonewater-1762/hero/777658

I made a post about my build and stats on the WD forums, here it is. Still a lot of room for improvement gear wise since 1.0.4 :

The spec :

Widowmakers : Spam it constantly. Mixed with VQ, your mana regen will allow you to almost-spam Bears or Acid Rains.

Bears : Use when you want to do high DPS. I can pretty much spam it in between my spiders.

Acid Rain : Use when you want to heal, this is your heal button. Don't be afraid to spam it preemptively between the spiders when you think your health might go down quick.

Humongoid + Leeching Beasts : Invincible, sometimes one dog might die, just recast. They all tanked Ghom without taking a scratch from his attacks and clouds.

Vengeful Spirit : Extra damage is never a waste when you cast this for the INT bonus for better DPS. No need for the mana or health rune, your mana regen is already extremely high and your health gets insta-healed by the Acid Rain.

The stats :

These are the minimum stats you should for. A little under those and you might die a couple times, but not too much:

40k health
5k armor
600 resist all

Oh look, another build for rich kids.

The spec :

The stats :

40k health
5k armor
600 resist all

Thanks for this, I'm gonna copy it all!

edit- yeah I probably can't afford that high block chance. Res all 600+ will be quite tough too, we'll see.

What? You get 1 resistance for every 10 intelligence. Your main stat is intelligence.

Life Regen is overlooked and most people sell it as a throw away stat.

A high block shield isn't expensive at all.

And now since 61/62 weapons have high DPS, huge LoH isn't expensive as of now and will be dirt cheap in a couple of weeks.

Zeppelin

I noticed that you have very little crit chance/damage in your build. I would highly recommend going to crit items if you can. It is possible to go balanced and still aim for crit with not too much gold if you dip a little below the 'ideal' for each slot.

Here's my build which I made not spending too much (outside of the the amulet):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Stonewater-1762/hero/777658

Well I do have this lying around in my stash:
VPRQa.jpg

Maybe I should use that one instead?

Ha, also found a +5% crit chance and +10 discipline quiver in my stash. I need to dig through that shit more often.

Edit: How about now? http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zeppelin-2591/hero/3546385

Considering I spent a total of about 8 million gold 2 months ago (haven't touched my gear since, took a big break), I wouldn't call myself a rich kid. I got the Helm of Command for about 800k (a steal). The only expensive piece is the new 30%+ Stormshield which I don't have because no, I'm not rich enough.

For the block chance, get a Helm of Command (you can get some for cheap) and any 25+% rare shield like the one I have.

Seth C

Are you avoiding the AH on purpose? Cause I also had/have a hard time finding equipment for my character (always getting crossbows and whatnot but I'm a wiz). AH is mandatory once you reach inferno if you want to make any kind of progress.

I haven't dropped many 1000+ dps weapons (save for 2H after 1.0.4) either you know. The overwhelming majority of the loot is just 150-350 dps trash. That's why I always check blue weapons before vendor selling them, just in case I find one that, sure, is only a blue, but has a good DPS that might make it sellable. I have found VERY few. Even rares have crap DPS most of the time.

I am. As far as I'm concerned if I buy anything there the game has become pointless. That is, I'm only playing to find good loot. If I'm buying good loot instead, I have nothing to play for. That said, there is no way in hell I could afford anything to improve my character, as I can't find anything to sell on the AH. I have tried selling the better things I've found. I've managed to sell nothing. My 250k gold isn't buying much!

There are days (even after 1.0.4) where I wish for a weapon to be 350dps. The majority of mine are actually in the 120-200 range (I just came back with a full inventory of magic and rare items and the highest dps was 230). Abysmally bad. And again, bad luck is one thing, but you've killed marginally (17% ish) more enmies than I have, but found 6 legendaries to my 0, while my MF (with NV) is up over 200%. Luck in this game is based on many things. Some you can control, others you may not be able to. Bad luck over a day, a week, a month even, could be just luck. Over the course of several months, it begins to suggest there is a mathematical equation somewhere working against me.

As another example, I never had a single rare drop from a boss in the game until I killed one with 5 stacks of NV (thus guaranteeing a rare).

Considering I spent a total of about 8 million gold 2 months ago (haven't touched my gear since, took a big break), I wouldn't call myself a rich kid. I got the Helm of Command for about 800k (a steal). The only expensive piece is the new 30%+ Stormshield which I don't have because no, I'm not rich enough.

Hmm doesn't sound too bad then

sazzy

I got a legendary!

Is this good? Can I be happy now? I would check the AH or RMAH but Blizzard's servers are fucked as usual when more than 2% of the players who bought the game try to log on.

4yvQa.jpg

Stripes55

Neo Member
Is it just me, or should the bosses at the ends of each act in Inferno drop an automatic legendary? It seems I get worse stuff off of them than a lot of the enemies I faced to get to that point.

Failing that, perhaps Blizzard should implement a "legendary counter". Each enemy (or maybe just elite/champion types) increases a bonus chance to produce a legendary. Once one drops, it resets to 0, and builds again.

Just a couple of suggestions, given that there seems to be more than a few of us who've felt left out of the Legendary Sweepstakes....

tjohn86

Is it just me, or should the bosses at the ends of each act in Inferno drop an automatic legendary? It seems I get worse stuff off of them than a lot of the enemies I faced to get to that point.

Failing that, perhaps Blizzard should implement a "legendary counter". Each enemy (or maybe just elite/champion types) increases a bonus chance to produce a legendary. Once one drops, it resets to 0, and builds again.

Just a couple of suggestions, given that there seems to be more than a few of us who've felt left out of the Legendary Sweepstakes....

Farming bosses is the exact opposite of what blizzard wants you to do. The drops suck for a reason.

I'm pretty sure I have comparable stats on my WD and the most I spent was ~500k gold on a weapon. It gets kind of blown out of proportion on how much you need to spend to get adequately geared :/

Leah was so hot, loved her sexy voice too. She's my fav character in D3, the CG cinematics with her she looked so hot.

mackaveli

The thing that sucks, is that since I'm lvl 60, I only play inferno but I'm sure that lower level uniques and sets don't drop.

I don't know why lower level uniques / sets don't drop at a higher % rate in inferno. I liked D2 when you could pretty much get uniques / sets of all items no matter what from what I can recall.

If I do an act 2 inferno run it would be nice to get lower level uniques / sets for my lower level characters. I like item collecting and it would be fun to get complete sets of lower items from drops.

Is there a higher chance of getting sets / uniques if you play nightmare mode and just farm act 2 or act 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom